open/close all folders
"I am not a partier I am an assassin, who kills people for a living and it being the dangerous job it is and that I would quite like to live past my twenties, I spend every waking hour training. Making sure I have the necessary skills to live to see the next day".A young apprentice assassin whose father, Serghar Kaltos, was perhaps the greatest assassin to ever set up shop in the Calixis Sector. Attelus has to constantly live in his father's shadow. Born and raised in the recently discovered Agri world Elbyra, he is a bit more idealistic and kind than an assassin should be but this could soon change. He is a chain smoker but ironically is strongly against the use of harder drugs.
- The Ace: Despite being an apprentice he is perhaps the best swordsman in an organisation made of amazing swordsmen. His body count is incredible and that was before he became a Empowered Badass Normal After that he was able to kill three Space Marines during their escape of Taryst's tower. In Upon Blood Sands he's become even more so now being able to fight off three of Taryst's super agents despite at first being unarmed!
- Action Hero: by the end of Secret War he has a truly ludicrous body count to his name which includes three Space Marines
- Adorkable: Especially shines through in the early chapters of Upon Blood Sands.
- Almighty Janitor: Despite being just as skilled (if not more skilled) than his colleagues he is still a lowly Apprentice. Perhaps justified due to him being recruited far older than most assassins and the extreme experience he was forced to gain when he was a teenager.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: An in-universe example as quite a few characters have outright questioned his true motives and methods.
- Always Someone Better: Serghar Kaltos, Glaitis.
- Hell almost everyone.
- Anti-Villain: Is this while in Taryst's employ.
- The Apprentice: A subversion as Attelus, while he is an apprentice, is far older than most assassin apprentices (most, including Elandria, would already be a full assassin by twenty three). But it's obvious to most people except Attelus that Glaitis is grooming him to be her replacement. He already has skill in combat down, but everything else, not so much.
- Author Avatar
- Awesomeness by Analysis
- The Atoner: The complete destruction of Omnartus being indirectly his fault weighs really heavy on him. And he swore he'd do anything and everything to hunt down the one truly responsible.
- Ascended Fanboy: Despite his Cynicism he is a huge fan of the Velrosian 1st regiment and its heroes this comes back to bite him in the arse in Upon Blood Sands, as it's his sentimentality toward them that causes him to make a lot of mistakes. Which includes getting himself and his comrades captured not once, but twice.
- Badass: and how!
- Badass Bookworm: was this when he was a teenager and even a Child due to the copious amounts of training his father had put him through, but never wanted to be a soldier or an assassin, he wanted to be a Imperial Historian. Now has thrown out most of the bookworm so he can focus more on the Badass.
- Badass Longcoat: He wears one◊.
- Badass Normal
- Badass Abnormal: due to Farseer Faleaseen's enhancements.
- Bad Dreams: He suffers these during his injured state. They are basically horrific scenes taken straight out of his past. It is heavily implied that these dreams are actually a test of his willpower.
- Berserk Button: Don't steal Attelus' Lhos or betray him, just don't.
- Bishōnen: Lampshaded to hell and back at Attelus' expense by the Mimic and Karmen Kons. It accuses Attelus of "looking like a girl" and says that he's a hypocrite for claiming to be a Combat Pragmatist but still keeping his hair long, which would obviously be a disadvantage in combat.
- Blood Knight: Has always been one, right from the start of the story, Elandria saw this. Part of his Character Development is him finally realising this and accepting it.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: A very rare protagonist example, when a Hammer confronted him about killing his brother, he can't remember killing him because over the last six months, he's killed so many, it doesn't help the way he killed his brother was his Signature Move.
- Break the Cutie: whether Attelus is cute or not is up for interpretation, but to break him mentally seems to be Glaitis' main objective. But so far she is losing.
- The Cassandra: He even Lampshades this saying this is what she must feel like when he trues to convince the Elbyrans that his father is a fraud and a mass murderer.
- Catch Phrase:"Just in Case."
"Quite depressing really."
"The first time, in along time."
"That's the understatement of the century/Millennium/Millennia."
"I could hazard a guess."
"Wish me luck."
"Why hadn't I thought of that."
"Is a long and sordid story."
- Chaotic Neutral: Even lampshaded by Glaitis.
- Glaitis:"I know you young Attelus, to all but the most educated you seem...chaotic, strange, random but you really are not. There is some method to your madness. Some surprisingly sane reasoning as to why, ironically nothing like your father who was always as straight and narrow as anyone can get, that is a trait I can admire, one that would help you if you ever meet the requirement of making you a full fledged assassin...That is if you live that long of course, but for me it makes you predictable."
- Chick Magnet: like his father he proves quite popular with the ladies, this includes, Elandria, Karmen Kons, Adelana, some random mercenary woman in Taryst's force, and even Helma show attraction toward him, even Inquisitor Enandra almost gushes at how 'beautiful' he is. But this is subverted as she quickly reveals he isn't her type, being too 'pretty.'
- Child Soldier: He's by and far more an assassin and spy than a soldier but he was taught to be a killer by his father from a very early age. In Upon Blood Sands he recalls how even the biggest bullies wouldn't mess with the 'small pale kid' because of his training. It was these skills that allowed him to survive in the ruins of the city Varander alone. To get supplies to survive he Single-handedly ambushed and killed chaos patrols as a teenager. This is all a part of a Xanatos Gambit, decades in planning, of course.
- Cloudcuckoolander: It would be a hell of a lot harder to understand Attelus' actions if they were shown from another character's perspective; it's hard even when it's from his perspective.
- Combat Pragmatist: One of the very first things Attelus does is kick a ganger in the shin, with a boot knife.
- Embraces Pragmatism as his whole philosophy, he sometimes doesn't live up to it, though.
- Consummate Liar: Zigzagged, one of his sayings is 'the best way to lie is to tell the truth.' So only properly lies when he really needs to. A good example is when someone asks him if he 'knows everything' (meaning all of what's happened leading to their current situation) Attelus knows, of course but chooses to take it ''literally'' so when he answers he is telling the truth because he doesn't know everything such as how the universe was created. So he doesn't exhibit any sign of lying.
- Cool Loser
- Covert Pervert: Shows shades of this.
- Cowardly Lion.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's a 40k fan fiction.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determinator: After being brutally beaten for ages, he still manages to defeat the invisible mimic by smashing an alcohol bottle over its head, identifying where it is by looking at his blood on its fists.
- Now even more so, though he almost gives up a few times Attelus still manages to make it to the church, despite almost literally running through hell.
- Just the fact after all the horrific things he's been through hasn't driven him insane or caused him to give up makes him this trope Up to Eleven.
- Dirty Coward: Attelus sees himself as one of these, and it's not too far from the truth.
- Drugs Are Bad: Has this attitude toward combat stimms, refusing to use them due to their side effects and his pragmatism due to the belief if he became too reliant on them, he wouldn't be as effective if caught out without a hit. He's still able to go toe to toe with Elandria when she's high, though.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: The poor guy seems to suffer from this constantly taken to eleven in Upon Blood Sands that despite managing to last seventeen minutes in a sparring match against a veteran sergeant Space Marine of the Raven Guard and almost managing to defeat it. The guardsmen who watched still insist on calling him 'fairy boy.' Much to his annoyance.
- Emotional Bruiser
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Attelus does this to almost everyone, much to the annoyance of Glaitis in particular.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Subverted the scar he sports is on his left cheek given to him by Elandria, which was torn open by a Curb-Stomp Battle he suffered though not long after opened it so it become a huge, ugly ragged thing. So bad it gave Commissar Tathe pause. He hides it behind Peek-a-Bangs. He could get it covered with false flesh, but chooses to keep it as a reminder. Still doesnt stop him from being a Chick Magnet, though.
- Guile Hero: Sometimes goes over to being a full fledged Manipulative Bastard. In Upon Blood Sands he really struggles with his instinct to be this while trying to be Reasonable Authority Figure and fails on a few occasions. This is mostly due to Glaitis' brainwashing, of course.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: At first uses a mono molecular enhanced blade, given to him by his father. But later gets a Master Crafted power sword from Estella Erith/Karmen Kons.
- Heroic Willpower: Almost the epitome.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Has severe self esteem issues, takes him along time to truly realise how good he is at the blade that he's actually on par with the more experienced Castella and Darrance but is exceptionally arrogant about some other things.
- Hidden Depths: So many that even he doesn't know about them.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He can be really good at understanding some people but when it comes to understanding women, he has no clue.
- Hot for Teacher: Attelus is very much into Glaitis, and he didn't even know until Taryst points it out. This is made extra squicky because she isn't just his mother figure, but is three times his age.
- Hypocrite: He is oh so contemptuous of Taryst's paranoia, but in reality he is as, if not even more, paranoid than Taryst. Especially after the Twilight Bar incident.
- In Secret War he derides Glaitis, Karmen and even Brutis Bones for their manipulation of their employees but resorts to said tactics in Upon Blood Sands.
- Hurting Hero: The poor bastard is pretty much the epitome of this trope.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: thanks to Faleaseen's enhancement she can speed his metabolism to heal his wounds faster, although this power in the 41st millennium can have great drawbacks if he and her aren't careful to hide it.
- Iam A Humanitarian: Had to resort to cannibalism to survive in the ruins of his home city, Varander as a teenager.
- Karma Houdini: He has dodged the consequences of many of his actions so far.
- Knife Nut: A heroic(ish) example: he has a boot knife and hidden compartments of throwing knives up the sleeves of his flak jacket.
- Love Makes You Dumb
- Made of Iron: Almost literally his wraithbone skeletal structure allows him to shrug off attacks that would cripple or kill a normal human. Hell he almost literally shrugs off a BOLT ROUND as it bounces off his shoulder fired AT POINT BLANK RANGE! Although this is subverted as it can't withstand highly penetrative gun fire such as a Hell gun shots.
- Magnetic Hero
- Man Child: Although he is 23, he can still act like a child in many circumstances, a fact which he is constantly reminded of by Glaitis.
- Master Swordsman: Even Castella who has years of experience over him, says he's better than her.
- My Greatest Failure: being manipulated into indirectly causing the Exterminatus of Omnartus and the slaughter of it's billions of people living on it weighs heavily on the poor bastard and the guilt is what drives him to fight for good.
- One-Man Army: Especially in the later chapters.
- Peek-a-Bangs: he has this to cover the horrific scar given him by Elandria.
- Kick the Dog: Poor Vex...
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Can't remember much of his time living in the ruins of Varander at first this seems due to severe PTSD but is later reveal Estella Erith tried to erase it from his mind to prevent him becoming an assassin.
- Lightning Bruiser: Especially after his enhancement.
- The Leader: Is supposed to be this in the Sequel Secret War: Upon Blood Sands. But is largely struggling in the role. Having resorted to manipulation and lying too often and getting caught out for it. Making him even more of a Hypocrite for earlier deriding Glaitis for using the same tactics. He also let his sentimentality rule over his logic and pragmatism. But as always, he's learning.
- Nay-Theist: Attelus is a play on one of these; he holds to the belief that the Emperor was a great man rather than a god, but subverts it by acknowledging that the gods of Chaos do indeed exist.
His anti-faith position is becoming stronger due to his increasing bitterness and paranoia, with his distinct contempt of people with "faith."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: by the end of Secret War he becomes indirectly responsible for the Exterminatus of Omnartus, a Hive world with billions of people living on it's surface!
- Properly Paranoid
- Punch Clock Villain: Again, when working for Taryst.
- Resurrective Immortality: later revealed that it wasn't just his strength, agility and bone structure enhanced by Faleaseen but his very soul as well, turning him into a Perpetual.
- Sanity Slippage: Is very close to losing his mind.
- Selective Obliviousness
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: is very much the sensitive guy to Garrakson's manly man, being unafraid to cry on many occasions.
- Scars Are Forever: A horrific one is now on his left cheek.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: As implied by his nightmares.
- Out right stated by Torris who says Attelus still suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Attelus is always having to deal with Serghar Kaltos' legacy as one of the greatest assassins to ever work in Calixis sector.
- Smoking Is Cool: Subverted. He knows it's a filthy habit but he can't stop.
- Also helps with his severe PTSD
- Smug Smiler: can be this according to Garrakson.
- Stealth Expert: Par for the course of being an assassin. His skill in this what allowed him to surivive as a teenager during the invasion of his homeworld. But compared to the Velrosian scouts in Upon Blood Sands, he struggles to keep up.
- Stepford Smiler
- Super Reflexes: To such an extent that he can pick up a knife and get into a throwing position before Elandria could even consider pulling a trigger.
- Even more so now after he Took a Level in Badass is able to dodge bullets with inhuman ease.
- Super Senses: one of the reasons why he can Dodge the Bullet is because he can sense a millisecond before they pull the trigger, even when they are shooting at his back!
- Super Speed: While Not nearly as fast as most speedsters but can sprint twenty metres in a split second. Which for 40k terms is ridiculously fast.
- Trauma Conga Line: Just a bloody bit.
- There Are No Coincidences: After having to work under a Chess Master for so long, Attelus is this trope .
- Training from Hell: Everything he goes through under Glaitis is training from hell.
- Understatement: Used a lot when he is in Sarcasm Mode.
- Verbal Tic: Both in inner monologue and dialog, Attelus uses a lot of rhyming and alliteration and begins quite a few of his sentences with "hmmm", especially when in Sarcasm Mode.
- Warrior Poet: Shows much philosophical insight, especially in the sequel: Secret War: Upon Blood Sands.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Indirectly responsible for for the Exterminatus of Omnartus and it's billions of people.
"Well if you call me “dear” one more time you will find yourself sorely lacking a head."She was recently employed by Glaitis. Though she is the same age as Attelus, she holds the rank of full assassin and is extremely ruthless while at it.
- Badass Normal: Not so much when high on combat drugs.
- Berserk Button: The anger she shows when she finds out Glaitis has been keeping secrets from her, is pretty scary.
- Blood Knight
- Catch Phrase:"What are you doing?""What ever."
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dual Wielding: Uses two mono blades; one named Setsukia, and the other Katrina.
- Drugs Are Good: Has a liberal use of combat drugs, allowing her to dodge bullets.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Much to everyone's shock, at first she could not understand Attelus' actions in the Twilight Bar. She figured that he must have used the people in there as human shields for the Arcoflagellent.
- Hidden Depths: She isn't as ignorant as she first seems.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Wears a skin tight bodyglove? Check! Isn't very knowledgeable of human interaction? Check! Insanely hot while at it? Check!
- Kick the Dog: She emotionally tortures Attelus after his horrific injury at the axes of the Arco Flagellent. Whether she did this of her own accord or under orders is, as yet, unclear, but it certainly confirms that she is more than she initially seems.
- Killed Off for Real
- Neutral Evil
- Out-of-Character Moment: The moment is lampshaded by Attelus' narrative.Elandria: So what is it that you improvise now oh you magnificent bastard you?
I looked over my shoulder at her shocked, was that an actual joke? A backhanded compliment, perhaps? Or something else entirely?
- Punch Clock Villain
- Redemption Equals Death: Played sadly straight after Attelus' Anguished Declaration of Love.
- The Rival
- She-Fu: Justified due to her enthusiastic use of Combat Drugs. Lampshaded by Attelus.
- Super Reflexes: Manages to dodge Attelus' shots with her acrobatics.
"And kid if you want to sheath your blade in her may I suggest using your “other” blade instead."A senior mercenary of Taryst's organization, he is an ex-guardsman, an explosives expert, and the leader of Elandria's and Attelus little squad.
- Deadpan Snarker:"I don’t know sir, meaning that they are either still lying in the pools of blood we left them in or in a Magistratum mortuary either/or."
- A Father to His Men: After his and Torris' lecture to Attelus at his bedside, Attelus compares the lecture to those given to him by his own father during his youth.
- Badass: He kills a daemon! He uses an autocannon, but still! And it's a good bet he'd killed more before and after. And is the one to finally take down Glaitis, although he has to sacrifce himself to do it.
- Badass Normal
- Berserk Button: Despite them breaking up before the events of Secret War, it's implied that he's still in love with Taryst, so don't mess with Taryst, ever.
- Cool Old Guy: He's just so laid back.
- Demolitions Expert
- Dirty Old Man: The way he teases Attelus for his crush on Elandria makes him seem like this.
- Gatling Good: Is extremely fond of using an Autocannon when he can.
- Hidden Depths: He is one of the most upset when he finds out about Attelus' No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Vex and is far, far smarter than he seems.
- Killed Off for Real
- Hurting Hero: the death of Taryst hits him hard, so hard he performs a Heroic Sacrifice to avenge him.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Jerkass Taryst had Karmen Kons erase some of Garrakson's memory just to keep the password to his elevator secret. What was the password? Jgarrakson.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Anyone who thinks he's a typical Honour Before Reason ex-military type, think again.
- Straight Gay
- Badass Gay: To an extreme degree.
- Large and in Charge: Is the Leader of the group.
- Punch Clock Villain: Is a really nice guy but still working for Taryst makes him this.
- True Neutral
- Undying Loyalty: Heavily hinted he's this toward Taryst mostly because he was in love with him. This despite knowing more than most just how much of a Jerkass Taryst is
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to both the more sensitive Torris and Attelus.
- The Stoic: But it's soon shown, he is Not So Stoic.
- Technicolor Eyes: He has 'violet eyes' something all Cadians are born with.
'Torris tilted his head, “like the old times, eh,” he echoed in good humour. “Kid you may have a very, very long list of issues and character flaws, but despite that we like ya. For some reason I can’t think of yet but maybe we’ll live long enough to figure that out one day.”'Another senior mercenary under Taryst, Torris is an ex Arbitrator from Malfi and one could say the heart of the team. Like Garrakson he has a dirty sense of humour, but is more discerning and observant because of his background.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: He's so good at reading people Karmen Kons speculates he is a latent psyker.
- He's so good he's able to even read Eldar!
- Badass: Doesn't get shown doing much until Upon Blood Sands when he proves it without a doubt.
- Badass Normal
- Conveniently an Orphan: Being an ex Adeptus Arbites he most likely grew up in a Schola Progenium. This is confirmed in a flash back in Upon Blood Sands.
- Deadpan Snarker:“For him to do that, what did you do? Give him a blow job? Must’ve been good, I’m sure you’ve had a hell of a lot of practice.”
- Hidden Depths
- Hurting Hero: Doesn't take the death of his friend and comrade Garrakson well.
- Large Ham: He can go a bit overboard sometimes.
- Those Two Guys: Rarely seen not hanging out with his BFF, Garrakson.
- Token Minority: Despite being from a hive world, Torris is described as having very dark skin and so far is the only character described that way.
- No longer due to the introduction of Inquisitor Enandra whose similarly dark skinned.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Is never seen not using one.
- Scary Black Man
- Warrior Therapist: Is a big part of his character in Upon Blood Sands.
Karmen Kons/ Estella Erith
"Vark, she hired me. I was a rogue, mercenary psyker. Of course she's a frigging radical and of course I don't mind she is one. I believe the God-Emperor is above all things but also believe that his rules he made during the birth of this Imperium of man were more suited to a different time. I believe that he now understands that much must be done for the continued survival of our species that ten thousand years ago would be deemed wrong."An exceedingly powerful rogue psyker employed by Taryst who specialises in telepathy but has some skill in other disciplines. Has a past with Attelus.
- Alliterative Name
- Anti-Hero: Is the utter paragon of pragmatism, even Attelus admits she can go too far.
- Badass: Even before she developed her psychic powers she was able to fight numerous of the infamous Blood Pact elite. single handed. As a mere Planetary Defense sergeant!
- Blessed with Suck: comes naturally with being a psyker.
- Blue Blood: Was the daughter of a lord of Attelus' home country, Velrosia. Was a sergeant in the local PDF before the invasion from chaos and her goal in life was to become a scout in the Velrosian 1st regiment. My. How. Things. Change.
- Canon Immigrant: She was originally from 'Of Thieves and Murderers' an old 40k fanfiction by the same writer.
- Combat Pragmatist: She's pretty much the embodiment of the dark side of this. And she's a good guy!
- Crippling Over Specialization: Feels this way when they arrive on the surface of Sarkeath she finds herself unable to use her psychic power and almost has a break down due to this. Thinking she is useless now.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Split Personality: Seems to be fighting an internal battle between her kind but prideful Estella Erith side, against her ruthless mercenary Karmen Kons side.
- Dye Hard: Invoked dyed her hair to blonde from black for her Karmen Kons persona.
- I Did What I Had To DO: May as well be her Catch Phrase, although she hasn't said it word for word, yet.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: One of her specialties she was even able to do it to Attelus before she even received training, she didn't quite manage it as well as she wanted to. But somehow didn't destroy him mind in the process!]]
- Master Swordswoman: was one as Estella Erith in the Velrosian martial art: Valisuth but lost much skill when she dedicated her life to honing her sixth sense, or at least she thinks she has.
- Never Live It Down: her controlling the minds of Taryst's mercenaries to fight the Space Marines to cover their escape. While many agree it was needed. Many still think it was wrong. It's what mostly makes Attelus reject her Anguished Declaration of Love being sickened by the act and it making it realise how far she can fallen. This despite still feeling the same.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Invoked she slips into her Estella Erith persona her accent becomes more formal and aristocratic.
- Powered Armor: Gets power armour in Upon Blood Sands. Mostly to protect her when she leaves her body.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Was described as this as Estella Erith before dying her hair blonde to become Karmen Kons and is beautiful, of course.
- Pride: Her greatest flaw and almost causes her to throw away her life if Attelus hadn't convinced her to stand down.
- Sanity Slippage: Like many psykers she's close to going off the slippery slope. Both her and Attelus have this in common and both help each other from falling completely.
- The Stoic: can come off like this sometimes, but she REALLY is Not So Stoic.
- Walking Spoiler: Almost all her trope explanations have a spoiler tag!
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She risked destroying Attelus' mind to rid him of his trauma so he could live a normal life. And she sacrificed Taryst's mercenary army to delay the Space Marines allowing their escape.
- Trauma Conga Line: Not as bad as Attelus, but she's been through hell.
- Warrior Therapist: well, not exactly a warrior anymore. But she's helped Attelus through some horrible things and vice versa.
"I don't know who had installed the security of Taryst's files but it is good, very, very, very good maybe even the best I have ever seen, maybe it was a priest of the mechanicum that would be the only explanation that I could think of but I am me and me being me the genius that I am I was able to access some of Taryst's data base."A very young Hacker hired by Taryst to overlook his data security.
- Badass Bookworm: After Attelus strangles him Garrakson teaches him how to punch and somehow manages to punch Attelus in the face so hard he gets knocked off his feet, this is AFTER Attelus is [[Transhuman enhanced by Faleaseen. But almost breaks his hand in the process]]
- Canon Immigrant: Like Karmen Kons was also taken from 'Of Thieves and Murderers.'
- Catch Phrase:Okie dokie
- Chekhov's Gunman: Although he's one of the more obvious ones.
- Improbable Age: Is a master of cogitators on par with many a Tech Priest this despite being only in his mid teens.
- Insufferable Genius: Is a genius and knows it. As one may decipher from his quote.
- Playful Hacker: Pretty much this to a 'T' and could be considered a bit cliche for this.
- Pride: Is one of the most prideful characters in the story, mostly about his hacking ability.
- Teen Genius
"And for that I will always be ashamed, I am a coward, Attelus. I should have died in duty along with my comrades but yet here I am. Working as a soulless mercenary for an ugly and back stabbing corporation that really shouldn't exist, but now it's time to face up like you did with Vex, it's time to finally, truly face up to my mistakes."The second in command of Taryst's mercenary army. He's charismatic and charming. He is also the the other last survivor of the Cadian regiment Garrakson hails from, being Garrakson's commanding officer.
- The Atoner: As shown by his quote he suffers from a severe case of Survivor's Guilt.
- Badass: Although he's never seen in combat this is a given being an Imperial Guard officer of a Cadian regiment. It also turned out later he and Garrakson survived an attack by Night Lords Chaos Space Marines.
- Badass Normal
- The Casanova: He's described as being exceedingly handsome and good with the women. Too bad he's Killed Off for Real before he can show this, although the when the Mimic masquerades as him, Castella Lethe is quick to hit on him.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Has a brief mention earlier in the story, but then turns out to be intrinsic to the plot.
- Good-Looking Privates: Unlike Garrakson he's somehow left unscarred by conflict.
- Hidden Depths: His past trauma and he is one of the first to uncover The Conspiracy by just following a hunch, although he didn't do it alone.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice.
- Majorly Awesome: Being a major and all.
- Nice Guy: Despite apparently being a womansier and a Shell-Shocked Veteran, he seems one of the nicest characters in Taryst's army.
- Properly Paranoid: Is one of the few who was paranoid enough to investigate into Taryst's strange actions. He was also inspired by Attelus' insinuations.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Is a good man and isn't afraid to put his life on the line to stand up to Taryst.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Seems to be effected far more by the destruction of his regiment than Garrakson.
- Survivor's Guilt
- Technicolor Eyes: Has 'violet eyes.' Natural being from Cadia.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Is Killed Off for Real off screen by the mimic, only a few chapters after his introduction.