open/close all folders
The Entire Cast
- Child Prodigy: All 32 of them were accepted into Hope's Peak Academy for their skills in their respective fields.
- Dwindling Party: Naturally, since they are placed in a killing game.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Occasionally occurs among the students regarding discord.
- Split Personality: Chie has a split personality named El Chupacabra, The SHSL Vigilante.
- Master Swordsman: El Chupacabra is shown to be exceptionally skilled with swords, and even carries one around.
SHSL Ice Sculptor
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Is the unfortunate first victim on the Kuro side.
- Casanova Wannabe: He's always flirting with each girls he sees, but they always reject him.
- Hate Sink: He's rude, He's a pervert and every single person in the group wants him dead.
- The Bully: Mostly to the other guys, as seen when he broke Hana into tears by insulting him and pointing out his flaws one by one.
SHSL Dungeon Master
- The Anti-Nihilist: Once she learned of Bakukuma, she attempted to reveal that there was good, but she relealized that there is no true meaning once she came across Mark's voice. However, given time, she realized that her love for Raire is her own reasoning for meaning.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Break the Cutie: Well, when her dormmate blew up, she freaked out a lot.
- Bi the Way: She's pansexual, but it still counts.
- Character Development: At first, she was completely terrified, shocked and believed that she would die first. When Kurokuma exploded and hurt Raire, she passed out. While having freaked out so bad at first, and was still in heavy shock due to Kamiko's execution, she is slowly becoming a bit more confident in herself.
- Foreign Fanservice: She is an American and Danganronpa is Japanese-based.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Slowly started to delve into this, but was called out by Chie for doing so.
- Ms. Fanservice: Oh very much so.
- Nice Girl: Is always willing to help people with certain things...minus Gesu. A shining example is when she sacrficed her freedom to keep Chie 's alternate personality from getting out.
- Nerds Are Sexy: ...Gesu definitely agrees there.
- Official Couple: Is in one with Raire. Actually Reira
- Secret Keeper: [[Spoiler: Turned out to be this for Reira's secret.]]
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: While she doesn't see herself as super attractive, she is aware that people do consider her attractive. She also takes off her clothes while asleep and when focusing on creating a game for DungeonsAndDragons. As it turns out, Geri truly considers herself a nudist and has went around naked post-merge.
- Shout-Out: Her name is based around Gary Gygax.
- Vapor Wear: She doesn't wear a bra.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Had this happen to her when Chie called her out for hurting Akaji.
- Cool Mask: Hideki always wears a surgical mask over his face. When Doc is in control, he removes it.
- Cool Shades: Doc wears a pair of yellow-tinted sunglasses, even indoors.
- [[Hypochondria]]: Subverted. Despite his constant coughing, sneezing, and wheezing fits, Hideki denies any dirty germs are hiding in his body.
- Ill Girl: Although he is a male example, Hideki fits the bill. He always has saggy eyes, a runny nose, and a bad cough.
- Just a Machine: What Hideki thinks of 70-R1. It doesn't help that he's almost certain someone is already planning to use that robot to murder him. With the much more human-looking Tetsue, he's less adamant about it.
- Split Personality: Hideki has to deal with Doctor Anthrax, or just Doc, as he is normally called. Doc is an angry, serious, violent alternate personality created from brain damage Hideki sustained in a lab accident.
- Technicolor Eyes: Hideki's irises are a dull pink. They change to purple when Doc is in control.
- Terrified of Germs: Hideki will not touch another person directly without latex gloves, and he's is terrified of being near filthy corpses.
- The Paranoiac: He is suspicious of everybody, and he's always believing that the others are already conspiring to murder him.
SHSL Rodent Trainer
- Captain Obvious: She often states exactly what's happening.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Can understand her pet rat, Patches, through telepathy.
SHSL Sketch Artist
SHSL E-Sports Competitor
Hyun's Pet Rat
- Empathy Pet: He is in-tune with Hyun's emotions and later, Raire's. This isn't to say that he can't feel his own emotions though.
- Familiar: He is bound to Hyun Hiro due to her Rodent Trainer talent and later to Raire Hidari when he gains the Rodent Trainer talent from Hyun.
- Abusive Parents: He's told some people about his father whom would beat him and torture him for simple slip ups like failing auditions and getting low scores.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Or at least a variation. His sister got expelled and he believes he'll never see her again.
- Captain Obvious: After Kamiko Nakayama's execution.
- "She's a fucking pencil!"
- Coordinated Clothes: If you've seen his sister, Reira, you know she wears almost the same outfit, replacing the pants with a skirt and tights.
- Crossdresser: After finding the closet, Raire asks Kanon to dress him up and ends up in a skirt. He seems to have no problems with it and milks it for what it's worth.
- Expy: Raire is very clearly an expy of Len Kagamine from Vocaloid.
- Feel No Pain: When he slits open his arm, he states that he can't feel a thing. And later, he shrugs off Koto slapping him like it never happened.
- Half-Identical Twins: They look nearly the same with the exception that Raire is a boy and Reira is a girl.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When Geri lightly pushes Kurokuma, Raire pushes her out of the way and gets blown up.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He goes running at Gesu with a knife intending to maim his when Celina throws a bowl of hot soup at him, causing him to trip and fall into the knife.
- Living Lie Detector: By listening to voices, Raire can hear whether their words match their emotion with a combination of the Seiyuu and Haiyuu talents (actors of words and actor of actions) This leads him to deduce if people are hiding something.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Normally, he's one of the kinder in the cast. Just don't stick him with Gesu or El Chupacabra.
- Meaningful Name: His first name is derived from [ライト] Raito and [レフト] Refuto. The Katakana for Right and Left. His last name, Hidari [左] means 'Left'.
- Nicknaming the Enemy: He calls El Chupacabra 'Fairy Tale Monster'.
- Non Fatal Explosion: Variation. The bomb did hurt him, but he did survive.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: The talent swap motive has even Raire himself question why he's acting so rash and hotheaded, stating that it's not what he's supposed to be. Later, when he is crossdressing, he constantly switches between a tough tsundere act and a shy shrinking violet persona.
- Official Couple: Is in one with Geri.
- Please Don't Leave Me: When Geri went to stay with Chie Doe in Dorm 3.
- Sharp Dressed Man: He wears a yellow vest and a bow tie.
- Speak Ill of the Dead: When speaking to Kurokuma about making a hole in the wall, he mentions Yori saying that 'He's not going to end up like her'.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: In acquiring the Rodent Trainer talent, he can also speak telepathically to Patches.
- Swapped Roles: Variation with the talent swap motive. He receives Hyun's 'Rodent Trainer' talent and is suddenly able to speak with her pet rat 'Patches'.
- Theme Twin Naming: Raire and Reira. Both are spelled with hiragana. Yes, that includes Raire.
- Their last names as well. Hidari [左] meaning 'Left' and Migi [右] meaning 'Right'.
- Trauma Conga Line: First, he's got an abusive childhood, second, he loses his sister. And these are all before the game actually starts. Once he's in there, he gets blown up, almost has his head chopped off, gets soup thrown at him which causes pain through his burns, and then falls into his own knife. Later, 70-R1 stabs him in the shoulder with a screwdriver and drills into the wound and if that wasn't enough, he slits open his entire forearm trying to cut some fruit.
- Troll: Especially to Geri. He teases her with magic tricks and even suggests to her that she goes eat a cake poisoned by Hana.
- Twin Switch: Raire reveals in the fourth chapter that he was Reira all along.
- Unstoppable Rage: Usually directed towards Gesu. He's slapped and punched him until physically pushed away.
- Voice Changeling: His talent allows him to mimic anyone's voice and manipulate his own into whatever he desires.
- Waistcoat of Style: He wears a yellow vest.
- Apologises a Lot: Each time he does something he will apologize for it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite his shy nature and constant fear of people, he did once act like a complete jerk and did his best to insult Raire. But Hana acting like a Jerk was just his split personality in effect.
- Extreme Doormat: He lets people insult him, most of the time even agreeing to what they are saying, and he will do almost anything he's told to do.
- Fragile Flower: He's always stuttering and often shrieks in fear each time someone startles him.
- Manipulative Bastard: Hana's other personality is clearly shown to have a particular skill in manipulating others, especially the fragile and pure ones.
- One Head Taller: Exaggerated as seen that he's way taller than anyone else.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He has never said his real name and is refereed to as "Hana" which is a shortening of his scene name "Ryounohana" [龍の花]
- Sadist: Pointed out by everyone that Hana's other personality is a great sadist, clearly stating that he hurts what he loves.
- Shy Finger-Twiddling: When nervous he will tap his fingertips together.
- Split Personality: Hana has a split personality, in where the other he is a sadistic, and cunning psychopath, despite his childish way of thinking he has already caused more trouble than anyone. OOC It has been nicknamed Mahana
- The Corrupter: Seen when Hana's other persona convinced 70-R1 that humans are all monsters, efficiently corrupting the bot which leader led to it's Face–Heel Turn.
- Tender Tears: He starts crying over the smallest things, such as him insulting someone and then feeling bad about it.
- The Jester: With his talent being Taikomochi, he's the Japanese equivalent of a jester.
- Team Chef: After proving himself to be a really good chef some students declared him the team's chef.
- Third-Person Person: Downplayed as he's seen occasionally referring to himself in third person.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Shown when he gets afraid, in that situation he crawls into a corner sitting in a fetal position.
- Villain Has a Point: When Hana's other personality corrupted 70-R1, he brought up an important fact of that "every human will love something just to leave it alone and let it die."
- Naked First Impression: Her introduction to most of the cast is naked in the Kitchen.
- Robot Girl: It turns out that the Roboticist is... actually a robot.
- The Alcoholic: As soon as the Casino gets revealed, the first thing she does is get drunk. She later goes at it again with Hana.
- Just a Machine: How she views 70-R1.
- The Reliable One: As the SHSL Counselor, she often listens to people's troubles.
SHSL Explosives Expert
- The Cutie: With Yori's Childlike personality she comes across as pure and innocent.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: In Chapter 1, she gets a bomb stuffed down her throat and goes boom. Ironically, Kamiko Nakayama's video showed her doing much the same thing to some unwitting felines.
- Little Miss Badass: She's tiny and she's got bombs!
- Odango Hair: Her hair is styled like this and they resemble strawberries.
- Older Than She Looks: Remember guys, Yori is in high school.
- Token Mini-Moe: She's the loli of this group and pretty dang adorable.
- I See Dead People: Has the ability to speak with the deceased.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: It just so happens that Akaji is a robot and he's also one of the more empathetic in the Shiro cast.
SHSL Lucky Student
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Is the first victim on the Shiro side.
SHSL Color Guard Captain
- Break the Cutie: From getting her legs smashed by a malfunctioning Akaji, being blamed for stabbing Talon with a flag, to thinking she actually killed him with a flag in a drug trip from fear gas, and even more, the energetic and happy Blair has been through.. a lot.. to put it lightly.
- The Idealist: Blair wants everyone to get along and she wants to believe that everyone is a good person.
- Amnesiac Lover: Thanks to the talent swap motive, Talon receives ???'s talent and loses his memories. Blair does however help him remember a bit by giving him a note she wrote a while back thanking him for being there for her.
- Dead Man Writing: The original purpose of the note Blair gave to Talon. She was going to save it for if she died, but in a desperate attempt to get him to remember something she gives it to him.
- Cool Big Sis: Despite Blair being wary of May's 'Business' she still cares for her older sister and looks up to her.
SHSL Figure Skater
- Mismatched Eyes: One of her eyes is red and the other is ice blue.
- White Hair, Black Heart: She's got gorgeous silver hair... but is also the SHSL Villain.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Essentially her default expression, especially when she's being a lil' shit (which is almost 24/7).
- The Hyena: She probably giggles way too much, really. It's somewhat concerning, actually.
- The Trickster: That's like her entire M.O.
SHSL Hockey Player
- Shear Menace: Her weapon of choice is a pair of scissors, which she throws into Minato's chest early on.
Other Characters (Unmarked Spoilers)
Support AI and Robot Companion/The third of the robots behind the game
- Ambiguous Innocence: It will do whatever it deems helpful. Including chasing around Geri with a hammer.
- Artificial Intelligence: It was built and programmed with a growing AI by Yori Tomatsu.
- Cute Machines: It's shaped like a bomb and is absolutely adorable.
- Deal with the Devil: After Kurokuma took 70-R1 with him the little bot came back as Bakukuma, it's eye had the same symbol as the bear, making it clear that it had allied itself with the robots.
- Despair Event Horizon: After it was told that Raire faked it's creators voice to "use it", 70-R1 lost all of it's hope, really starting to believe that all humans are heartless monsters.*
- Do-Anything Robot: Played with. It can explode and has a claw extension.
- Face–Heel Turn: After Hana's other personality corrupted the robot it went trough a drastic change, it attacked Raire, called every single other human a monster. Not only that but the robot allied itself with Kurokuma.
- Heel–Face Turn: As it turns out, Geri and Raire were able to convince 70-R1 of the concept of hope.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: It's opinion on all humans after Hana tortured the robot by, tricking it's AI, ripping out it's cables hurting it both psychically and psychologically.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: What Gesu told it. He specifically told it that Raire needed a "dose of death". And it believed him, adding "death" to its list of cures. Later, it was reprogrammed to only instigate death as a cure for rape.
- Pronoun Trouble: Is 70-R1 an it or a she? Depends on who you ask.
- Replacement Goldfish: Is this to Yori.
- Robot Buddy: It functions as this to its current master, which in the begging was Raire Hidari, later it was Hana now, as Bakukuma it has no master.
- The Corruptible:
- Three-Laws Compliant: Subverted as it knows nothing of the three laws of robotics.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Gesu. Raire realized that this would be a problem though and programmed it not to listen to him.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Raire gets in a short conversation with Vita about this and Gesu also makes note of this.