Characters: Scattered Remains
The main characters in the series Scattered Remains, and the tropes that are most prominent with that character.
open/close all folders
"Nate, how do you find someone that doesn't wish to be found? I too, would like to know the answer to such a question.""For the last 12 years, I've been trained to lead. Trained to give commands. Trained to make smart choices on the battlefield. And trained to be hated."
- Swifty "Ambrosine" Worden
The central character of the Scattered Remains series, Swifty acts as the General Ripper
of the D.H.D. Armed Forces. Unusual for a protagonist, she is The Quiet One
, as well as The Stoic
of the group. She rarely shows anger during any situation, and is a fan of Tranquil Fury
when things don't go her way. Despite this, she has a love for gardening, which she uses to take her mind off of work. She even has a secret greenhouse where she keeps her various plants, behind her office door.
Despite her high rank
and paying job
, she frequently questions what it would be like to live as a normal person, as she had been training to become a general for the last few years,
and finally took up the position at the age of 16.
"Where are yer manners, Royce? There be a lady present.""Oh great, We've got a whole damn battalion coming up to take this base back, and they are all very upset at me. "
- Cyrus Mac Millian
A former Captain in the Albourgian army, Cyrus is the deuteragonist of Capital Grounds, and is portrayed as a gentleman-like, but also cruel leader
in Her Loyal Guard. He hails from[[Scotireland Scotland]], but most of the time doesn't have a noticeable accent
, although he usually puts one on as an act of spite.
However, this doesn't stop him from using a Foreign Cuss Word
in the heat of battle. A brilliant tactician who loves to insult his enemies and crack jokes on the battlefield
, Cyrus is the de-facto leader of the Circuit Breaker Liberation Front]], along with his old friend from the Albourgian army, Gregory Huntington
. Despite his eccentric personality, Cyrus knows when to get serious
, and does so frequently in the story. He is first seen and mentioned in the story through newspaper articles and discussions, as he returned home after 5 continuous years of service, during which he had successfully captured 2 out of 7 enemy controlled islands with his squad of 7 during a mission, with no backup.
In his spare time, he is a successful chef
, who owns a successful restaurant, The Capitol Grounds.
- Handsome Lech: He acts like this towards most ladies, even Swifty and her aunt.
- Crazy Awesome: This usually describes most of his battle plans.
- A Father to His Men: Some see Cyrus as this, others don't.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Does this at the beginning of the story, where he nearly completely helps destroy a D.H.D. base of operations in order to rescue Royce's friend Huntley, who was unjustly imprisoned.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Cyrus had the most of these that occurred before the main story. Apart from the previously mentioned CMOA, he
- Big Brother Mentor: Acts as one to the inexperienced Royce.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: He is first seen in the story through a newspaper article, and his picture depicts him as clean shaven. However, when he arrived back home, he had grown a full beard, possibly to hide his identity. However, by the time he becomes a Modern Major General to Royce, he shaves it off, revealing his familiar mug.
- He grows a less full one again before he visits Royce in prison, and keeps it for most of the story.
- He also occasionally dyes his hair and wears various wigs while in the C.B.L.A., in order to prevent enemies from getting a positive ID on him.
"I'm getting tired of getting the SHIT kicked out of me!""I know exactly what I'm getting myself into, Cyrus. This isn't exactly a safest job in the world."
- Kelsey "Royce" Sullivan
The protagonist of Capital Grounds, Royce is a Sergeant and later Lieutentant
in the C.B.L.F., and is a former cop. A vain and timid person, Royce is reluctant to do anything that could get him in trouble, but still decided to fight for the C.B.L.F. He is a bit wary of Cyrus when they first met, but Cyrus soon becomes an important figure to Royce, and Royce becomes Cyrus's right hand man. He is at ends with his former girlfriend, Melanie Stratton, who left him mysteriously with no explanation a year before the story started, and is surprised to find her in the C.B.L.F. Despite his general frailness, Royce isn't afraid to get into fights with the more dominant-in-the-relationship
Melanie, and more importantly, has a strong will to survive even the most hopeless situations, such as fighting the traitorous General Huntington while wounded,
and even playing dead in order to avoid execution by the victorious D.H.D. troops during a battle.
This sense of purpose is what motivates him to gain confidence, and realize how much he can affect the outcome of the war.
- Lawful Stupid: Really Lawful Good, while he was a cop, but he even had trouble with the basics after two years in the force.
- The Woobie: For most of the story. Eventually changes to Iron Woobie.
- Reluctant Warrior: He doesn't even want to get involved in the conflict between the C.B.L.F. and D.H.D., but does so in order to bring peace to most of the world by bringing down D.H.D.
- You Can Barely Stand: Happens to him several times in the story, usually at the hands of Anthony.
- Badass Normal: The biggest example out of all the main characters, due to his ability to survive great odds and later dish out some much needed asskicking.
- Lawful Stupid, Chaotic Stupid: Explains why he joined and fights in the C.B.L.F.
- Heroic Spirit: Shines several times in the story.
- Doomed Moral Victor: It's how he wins some of his fights and survives nearly every battle.
- *Took a Level in Badass: And at the perfect time, too.
- Eyepatch of Power: Gains one after his fight with Gregory Huntington.