open/close all folders
The Protagonist of the series, Rin Tsuchimi started off with only Kaede Fuyou around, until the plot ball got rolling with the arrival of Lisianthus Eustoma and Nerine Forbesii.
- Chekhov's Gun: Rin taking the boxcutter in Episode 23.
- Conveniently Seated: He sits in the second-to-last seat along the left windows.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It involves his parent's death and years of torment by Kaede.
- Deadpan Snarker: Appropriately voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.
- Eye Scream: Once during their childhood, Kaede, out of hatred, dropped a boxcutter on his eye.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Doesn't remember helping Tsubomi out a few years ago at all.
- Luminescent Blush: Occurs without fail every time he gets into a situation with any of the girls in his harem.
- Meaningful Name: Tsuchimi means 'Three Lands'.
- Mistaken for Gay: He seems to get a lot of those. He also gets mistaken for crossdresser.
- Asa wonders if he is one in Visual Novel, since he never had a girlfriend.
- Sia and Nerine fathers were worried if he is one, and were quite relieved when he starts dating girl other than their daughters, since he can still marry them, as polygamy is ok.
- In Really? Really! Kaede witnesses Eustoma and Forbesii intimate moment Sage teases her that Rin might become like that with Itsuki, and she is horrified and imagines them smiling together halfnaked surrounded by flowers. She silently resolves that won't lose Rin-kun especially to a man.
- This happens more often in manga.
- Itsuki tries to draw something funny on his chest, half undressing and pining him to the ground in the progress, just as girls walk in on them - Itsuki has it harsher that Rin, since Sia and Nerine glare at him at school as if he was their rival for Rin's love.
- When he wants to buy bras for Primula, the way he phrased it to Kaede made her think he wants them for himself. She starts to cry and reassuringly promises, that if its Rinkun he can became beautiful woman.
- When class forces him to buy ribbons and laces for cafeteria costumes, he runs into Asa. She gets the wrong idea, and promises to not think less of him, while not so slowly backing away.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Literally. There is nothing supernatural about him.
- Nice Guy: Always nice and friendly.
- Parental Abandonment: Rin's parents, along with Kaede's mother, died in a car crash on their way back from a trip.
- Silent Scapegoat: He claimed he was responsible for Kaede's mother's death by asking his parents to come back early.
- Silent Snarker: Despite his kindness, his internal commentaries sometimes approach level of Jerkass, such as in Really? Really!, when he notes that Sia is rather unintelligent, or Nerine is horrible cook and really clumsy.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: The reason he has so many love interests is because he's always nice and friendly.
- Tomboyish Name: Inverted in his case, as Rin is, more often than not, a girl's name.
Lisianthus "Sia" Eustoma
- Accidental Kiss: With Kaede in the ending credits of the final episode.
- Ascended Extra: Her sister in 'her' ending in the original Shuffle had an agreement with Sia that they would share their time and body with Rin. In Essence+, Sia's ending is replaced with Kikyo's and Kikyo gets a new extended branching where Sia's ended that deals with some light political intrigue for the cause of using devil world magitek to split Sia and Kikyo apart and then having them both marry Rin because Eustoma can't publicly admit that his daughter is a devil even if he's concerned for her and wants Sia and Kikyo to remain family even if they can't be sisters.
- Book Dumb: Eustoma almost destroyed the school because Sia was in danger of failing.
- Chekhov's Gun: Those mirrors in her room look pretty suspicious...
- Do Not Call Me Sir: With Sakura, someone finally acknowledges that Sia and Nerine are of way higher status than they are. Sia just tells her to knock it off though and she eventually does.
- Fiery Redhead: Downplayed. It's more "great energy" than "hot temper."
- First Girl Wins: In the manga. Though as usual, she's very willing to share.
- Gainaxing: She gainaxes more than the other girls, with the exception of the OVA, where almost all of them gainax with equal frequencies.
- Genki Girl: Extremely energetic. She gets excited at rain.
- Image Song: Freedom, based on her Leitmotif, and Hitori Janai yo, a duet with Nerine.
- Instant Fanclub: Suki Suki Sia
- Marry Them All: She's pretty open about her willingness to share Rin thanks to her world being a polygamous society. In Kikyo's original ending, they share Rin and their body, making it a three way relationship. In Kikyo's new ending in Essence+, they actually separate and then both marry Rin.
- New Transfer Student: Her transfer to Verbena Academy along with Nerine sets the plot going.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: She's half Goddess half Demon and also Nerine's cousin.
- Rapunzel Hair: It gets past her waist.
- Repetitive Name: Lisianthus and Eustoma are two different ways of referring to the same type of plant.
- Sharing a Body: When her mother was pregnant, there was concern in the world of the gods that their ruler would have a devil as his daughter. However, their mother was pregnant with twins, one girl of each race... and only the god child survived until birth. However, she accepted her twin's soul into herself.
- Weapon of Choice: Usually chairs and benches, to hit her Bumbling Dad with. Tick! Tack! would later reveal she picked this up from her mother.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Sia usually wears a Grade A.
Voiced by: Sayaka Aoki (JP), Brittney Karbowski (EN)Kikyou is Sia's sister. It was evident that only Sia would be born safely, and so Sia made a pact with Kikyou when they were still unborn, enabling her sister's soul to share her body. She has an ending of sorts in the original Shuffle that was later expanded upon.
- Body Snatcher: In the anime, when Kikyou got pissed off at Sia for being so passive, she decided to take over for a day to try to appeal to Rin. It didn't work. In the original Visual Novel, this is actually forced on her when Sia thinks Kikyou deserves to be happy with Rin.
- Femme Fatale: Far more aggressive than Sia in her pursuit of Rin.
Voiced by: Haruka Nagami (JP), Caitlin Glass (EN)The daughter of the King of the Demons, Nerine also met Rin in the past, and fell in love with him due to his kindness.
- Badass Princess: Possesses remarkable magical power, which she uses to punish anyone who wrongs the man she loves.
- Body Snatcher: Non-villainous example: In the conclusion of the Nerine/Primula arc, to save Primula, Lycoris takes over her body and calms Primula, whose magic was spiraling out of control, down. Her eye color changes from brown to purple to indicate the change, as well as her calling Rin "Rin-kun", as opposed to Nerine usually calling Rin "Rin-sama".
- French Maid Outfit: Nerine dresses up as a maid when she helps Rin move into his new apartment.
- Funbag Airbag: Rin crashes into Nerine at one time. Her reaction is to hold him there for a while.
- Gainaxing: In the OVA, when Sia's dad replaces the water in the pool with eels.
- Hair Decorations: The ribbon on the back of her hair.
- Having a Blast: When annoyed, stuff tends to be destroyed. Her father indicates that she could easily destroy the school if angered.
- Hime Cut: An appropiate hairstyle for a Yamato Nadeshiko princess.
- Image Song: Pray and Hitori Janai yo, a duet with Sia.
- Informed Ability: Nerine is said to be an astounding singer, but when we hear her sing, she sounds like any other VA worth their singing talent (for example, Yuko Goto, Kaede's seiyuu, is quite the singer in real life). It's revealed that her singing talent also came from Lycoris.
- Instant Fanclub: Ran Ran Rin
- Lethal Chef: Nerine claims she can't cook without something disastrous happening: "Fire, explosions, bleeding, dissolution... and much more..." Her dad wanted to make it a holiday when she upgraded to One-Note Cook.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Most of Nerine's magic involves explosions, which she invokes to protect Rin from the Instant Fanclubs that harass him.
- New Transfer Student: Her transfer to Verbena Academy along with Sia sets the plot going.
- One-Note Cook: She eventually graduates from Lethal Chef when she learns how to make omelettes.
- Rapunzel Hair: All the way down to her waist.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Lay a finger on her beloved Rin-sama and she will end you.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Gentle, caring, submissive and extremely devoted to the man she loves, but still can be gutsy when push comes to shove, and shows no mercy to anyone who harms her beloved.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Demon.
- Chekhov's Gun: Singular episode example: When Kaede got sick early on, one could only wonder what Primula was doing in her room with a bag of seeds and a grindstone. Turns out she was making medicine for Kaede.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Goes from an Emotionless Girl to a Cheerful Child as a result of her Character Development in her own visual novel path.
- Emotionless Girl: Part of her Character Development is gaining emotions, which is a plot point of her arc: Her gaining emotions caused her powers to spiral out of control, but she got better.
- Girlish Pigtails: Very cute and the sign of her child-like innocence despite the lack of emotion.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She always carries a stuffed cat around with her, and gets distressed when it gets worn out.
- Harmless Freezing: Primula once froze Rin's dad as a gag, but the same magic has also killed.
- Image Song: Pureness.
- Instant Fanclub: In the graphic novel, the moment she started attending the school. This is the only club which physically hurt Rin in the game.
- Japanese Sibling Terminology: Starts referring to Rin and Kaede as onii-chan and onee-chan ('big brother' and 'big sister') in her Visual Novel route. This is notably also the route in which she and Rin become lovers, so make of that what you will...
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In her own route, she gives Rin this so he won't miss her when she's taken back to be experimented on again, while they are having sex.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Primula's magic is seen in the form of freezing her surroundings and when she was put back under observation, explosions in the vicinity, similar to Mewtwo. In the visual novel, she also had healing and Laser-Guided Amnesia as her powers.
- Older Than She Looks: She's actually only a year younger than the rest of the cast.
- Our Homunculi Are Different: A homunculus created for the sole purpose of being experimented upon.
- Purple Eyes: They serve to make even more obvious that she's not normal at all.
- The Quiet One: She doesn't talk much.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Pale-skinned, light-haired Emotionless Girl who comes to gain emotions and is actually a homunculus created for the sole purpose of being experimented upon.
- The Stoic: Rarely shows emotion.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She may appear emotionless, but she's very sweet and caring girl at heart. The emotions were always there, deep down; she just never had anyone to bring them out because nobody except for Lycoris, who died shortly after has ever bothered to treat her like a person instead of an experiment.
- Token Mini-Moe: The only part of the main cast that's not in high school.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light purple hair for being a homunculus.
- All There Is to Know About "The Crying Game": The boxcutter incident has become more well-known than the actual premise of the show.
- The Atoner: The reason she's serving Rin? Her guilt for abusing Rin when they were younger.
- Break the Cutie: In her backstory and then later when Rin distances himself from her.
- Color Failure: Kareha is so innocent and bold at the same time that watching her with Rin petrifies Kaede every now and then.
- Comedic Sociopathy: When it comes to serving her beloved Rin-kun, she often utterly disregards other people, including her own father. When Rin half-jokingly says he wants to beat up Itsuki with a bat, she happily hands him one (complete with a nail) saying she had one prepared just in case he would need it. Or when he jokingly threatens to beat up Itsuki to death with his bare fist, she only protests he would hurt his hands doing so, and completely ignores the tiny detail that he apparently wants to end life of their classmate and friend.
- Covert Pervert: Really? Really! happens inside of her mind, and there are a lot of times where Rin has sex with other girls. All of those events are purely fictional and the product of her imagination, including scenes like a threesome between Rin, Asa and her mother.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It starts with the death of her mother, moves into abuse of Rin as punishment for him taking responsibility for it, and then tremendous guilt when she learns the truth.
- First Girl Wins: Subverted. Though possible to play straight in the visual novel, one spinoff has Nerine as the winner, the manga has Lisianthus and the anime Shigure Asa. Played Straight in Really? Really!
- Freak Out: At her mother's funeral, and when Rin ignores her more and more in favor of Asa.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Anime only
- Heroic BSOD: She goes more and more numb the more Rin ignores her.
- House Wife: She cooks for cleans for, and loves Rin. The only thing missing is a marriage certificate.
- Image Song: Memories, also based on her Leitmotif, and Kimi to Mirai wo, a duet with Asa.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Rin, although this gets hazy in anime when out of desperation, she clings to Rin in his bed. While naked.
- Insecure Love Interest: In the Visual Novel, she has no sense of self-worth to speak of and believes she doesn't deserve to be loved by Rin.
- Instant Fanclub: Kitto Kitto Kaede looks like one, but it is stated in ''Really? Really!" that it has already existed since her middle school days.
- Love Hungry: In the anime, she was starved of affection by Rin ignoring her.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After discovering the truth behind her mother's death and how horribly she had treated him until then.
- Parental Abandonment: Her father is on a business trip for the entirety of the anime, and is only seen in flashbacks. Her mother is dead.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: To Rin.
- Property of Love: When she is interviewed by Mayumi after winning Miss Verbana (their high school) competition, she lets it slip that she considers herself "Rin-kun's possession". For extra kick, she was wearing maid outfit at the time.
- Stepford Smiler: Her picture was even in the trope page at one time!
- She also thinks Rin is the Stepford Smiler by pretending to forgive her for the abuse, but that's not actually true.
- Undying Loyalty: Considers serving "Rin-kun" her only reason for her existence - she was rather happy when Primula mistaken her for his maid, much to his consternation. Take that away from her, and...
- Yandere: Only in the anime. In the Visual Novel, not only does she not interfere with whatever girl he chooses, if he tries to choose her she attempts to turn him down.
- Bokukko: Part of the tomboyness.
- Cool Big Sis: Which means she has a Bro-Con on Rin.
- Definitely Just a Cold: Towards the end of her route.
- Fanservice: The first Ecchi shot in the entire anime was of her topless in the Beach Episode. It was also the first Episode to receive a "This programme should not be watched by viewers under the age of 18" card in its initial broadcast.
- Fanservice with a Smile: At the end of her route she becomes a waitress like Kareha.
- Fashionable Asymmetry : She has a long lock on her left side which she ties together with a brown band.
- Gainaxing: Especially in the OVA, along with Sia.
- Genki Girl: She's proud of her great energy. This is implied to a invoked trope because she used to be an Ill Girl.
- Hair Decorations: Her ribbon.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Her mother hides demon ears under her cap, though she's more than just any devil: She was a special experiment with much greater magic powers than any normal devil, which appears to have been passed along to her daughter despite humans being a magically inept race.
- Ill Girl: She often becomes ill for no apparent reason. It's revealed that her illness is her weak human body being unable to support the magic she inherited from her mother, Ama. Which she utterly refuses to use, since magic as a whole brought poor Ama lots of pain, which is idiotic, considering her slow and completely preventable death would be far, far more painful to Ama than knowing her daughter has magic.
- Image Song: Wish, and Kimi to Mirai wo, a duet with Kaede.
- Instant Fanclub: Ai Ai Asa
- Magic A Is Magic A: An aversion. Humans are noted to be unable to perform magic and to get by on alchemy when a supernatural angle is required. However, while Asa is half human like Mayumi, she continues to build up magical power, which sometimes makes her sick because she never actually uses it.
- Matchmaker Crush: Like most other characters, when she sees her own crush isn't going anywhere she'll immediately step aside to support Rin getting together with a friend, in this case Kareha.
- Mistaken for Gay: In one of manga's 4komas, her bra unfastens, and she asks Kareha to fix it for her. Rin enters when its looks like she is having her breasts groped. He wishes them happy life and leaves before she could explain.
- Panty Shot: Invoked in-universe: When Rin is trying to hide from the Instant Fanclubs, he hides under a table where Asa is sitting at. Asa then forcefully pushes his face into her panties.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Her's hair is longer than usual when she uses magic. Unlike many examples, it stays that way until manually cut off.
- Sempai/Kohai: Becomes a subject of irritation for Asa once she hooks up with Rin.
- Asa: Asa-senpai is forbidden!
- The Tease: A Running Gag. She teases and then retracts it. This drives Rin up the wall.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is green. She's part demon after all.
On The Stage Heroines
Voiced by: Yura Hinata (JP), Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)Kareha is Asa's friend and also Rin and Kaede's senpai. She is of the God race, and she is known to fall into trances when imagining romantic things, sparkling as she does so. She becomes one of the heroines in On The Stage.
- Bishie Sparkle: Whenever she Fangirls about anything, she sparkles and says "My my my!"
- Covert Pervert: Only covert in that she doesn't say out loud what she's imagining. However, whenever a situation that could be construed as romantic or perverted presents itself, she will Squee! and glow.
- Fangirl: She finds even the slightest hint of Rin in a romance with another girl, she Squees.
- Fanservice with a Smile: She takes a part time job at the tea shop Flora, notable for their cute waitress outfits.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Kareha’s hair is elaborately tied up on one end in the front.
- Guy-on-Guy Is Hot: One of MANY things that set of her "My, my, my!" is Itsuki getting too friendly with Rin, or making "adorable, shy expression" at him.
- Hair Decorations: Her ribbon.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Kareha in other routes was pretty open with the fact that she liked Rin if the conversation ever turned in that direction, but she never did anything about it. When he actually asks her out, she's astonished to the point of barely being able to string a sentence together because she never expected him to go for her. Aww.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She's very innocent minded, so when she offers to let Rin stay the night, she sees nothing strange about having him sleep in her bed. When he points out that he's, you know, a guy, she thinks he just means that the bed might be cramped.
- Lap Pillow: Rin is tired when he arrives for their date for some reason, so he instantly takes a nap on her lap.
- Outdoorsy Gal: When she was younger, surprisingly given her high formality. She used to climb trees, catch bugs and play in the dirt.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She says in her route that she's never been in love before Rin, and likely would never have been if she hadn't met him.
- Weird Aside: "I'll be right back with your cake order, Rin. By the way, I love you. Will you please go out with me?"
- Zettai Ryouiki: Special mention goes to Kareha, by virtue of her uniform at the shop where she works (The five main girls have all sported Zettai Ryouiki at some point)
Voiced by: Miki Inoue (JP), Kelly Green (EN)Mayumi is classmates with Rin and Kaede and Itsuki. She's known for being always updated on any scoops that come by, especially if it involves Rin's lovelife. She also becomes one of the heroines in On The Stage.
- A-Cup Angst: She doesn't like having her flat chest pointed out, but puts some effort into being proud of it.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Mayumi was bullied when she was younger because of her mismatched eyes, though Rin just thinks they're pretty.
- Berserk Button: Do not look down on her for her flat-chestedness. She will punch you. Hard.
- Book Dumb: She fears tests, and after doing poorly on one, she wants to wash away the feelings of dread with karaoke.
- Camera Fiend: Pictures for her stories.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: She quits flirting with Rin when she actually becomes attracted to him, leaving him to miss the dynamic enough to tease her first.
- Duality Motif: She has one red and one blue eye, probably thanks to being half demon.
- Flung Clothing: She throws her clothes up in the air while changing into a waitress uniform. It gives her a problem, since she can't find her panties afterwards.
- Genre Savvy: Mayumi's route opens after Kaede's. The first choice to start going for Mayumi has her and Rin colliding on their way to school with Mayumi saying it could only be more of a cliche if she was holding bread in her mouth and wondering if this makes her part of Rin's harem now.
- Going Commando: She misplaces her panties by accident while changing into her waitress outfit in the anime, and the rest of the episode is spent with her trying to hide the fact.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Mayumi is half-demon.
- Hot Scoop: She's known for being always updated on any scoops that come by.
- Mismatched Eyes: Her eyes are different colors, which got her bullied a little when she was a kid.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Unlike Rin, she stays ordinary.
- Petite Pride: She tries to console herself by saying that there's a demand for flat chests too.
- Rescue Romance: She kids that she'd really like someone to defend her, after which Itsuki almost immediately takes her aside and says that the reason he's friends with Rin is that several years back Rin did exactly that for no other reason than because Mayumi and Itsuki looked like him and Kaede and he got mad when someone badmouthed her. Right after hearing that she starts crushing on Rin pretty hard.
- Shipper on Deck: This comes as a result of reporting on Rin's love life.
- The Tease: She likes to tease and flirt Rin, but only when she's not really interested in him.
- Those Two Guys: With Itsuki.
Voiced by: Chinomi Takema (JP), Luci Christian (EN)Ms. Beni is the teacher of Rin's class in (apparently) history. She becomes one of the heroines in Essence+.
- Anchored Ship: Admits to liking Rin, but turns him down because it would be unprofessional.
- Badass Teacher: How she deals with guys that hit on her qualifies.
- Gainaxing: It happens sometimes.
- Hot for Student: She's been attracted to Rin the whole time she's known him, but first didn't realize it and then considered it unprofessional. It looks like she brushes him off at first, but of course, this is an eroge. It's only a matter of time.
- Hot Teacher: Jealousy of Rin for having so many girls fawning over him aside, Nadeshiko is generally considered among the student body to be the most attractive person in the school, though it very rarely comes up. That said, any students that try flirting get shot down in the form of heavy training regimens... though she admits that if Rin had tried she might have let him continue flirting for a bit.
- Indirect Kiss: After meeting Rin while out shopping, she makes him buy her a drink as 'punishment' for admitting that he's going to the arcade. She thinks her drink is too sour and switches with Rin, who notices the situation and then recovers while it takes her a few minutes to realize what she just did.
- Love at First Sight: She's like Rin since she first met him, though she didn't realize it at first.
- Love Epiphany: When she was overly tired at school one day she nearly collapsed, so Rin carried her to the nurse's office. This brought her already present feelings for him to the surface.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: In a Lower-Deck Episode she says she wants a "nice regular guy."
- Stern Teacher: Has a frightening tendency to dole out over-the-top punishments like 100 page reports due the next day or thirty laps around the track with a tire. However, she's apparently oblivious to the fact that some of her punishments are that harsh since they're from her own exercise routine. All in all, she's quite popular with the students.
TsubomiTsubomi is Kareha's younger sister. She's rather impulsive and began stalking Rin briefly simply because he stopped by her home to see Kareha but didn't see Tsubomi before leaving.
- Genki Girl: While Kareha is simply a bit spacy but otherwise very polite, Tsubomi is direct, energetic and cheery.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Every bit as naive as her big sister. In fact, she invites herself into their bed with both sisters oblivious to how uncomfortable Rin is.
- Japanese Sibling Terminology: The moment Tsubomi asks if she can call Rin 'onii-san' the camera immediately pans to all the other girls there while they obviously roll their eyes at Rin getting yet another suitor, one who alternates between infatuation and seeing Rin as a big brother figure to hang out with when with Kareha.
- Kawaiiko: Tsubomi is ridiculously cutesy.
- Promoted to Love Interest: She started as a side character for Kareha's route in On The Stage and received her own route in Essence+
- Rescue Romance: Apparently, Rin helped her two years ago. He doesn't even remember, which just impresses her all the more.
- Stalker with a Crush: Began following Rin around with a ridiculous 'disguise' that everyone agrees makes her look like a total pervert. That said, the crush and the stalking have little to do with each other. To her, it was just a game.
Sakura YaeA childhood friend of both Kaede and Rin who simply failed to materialize in the original game. She gained a route in Essence+.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Definitely named for the plant given the Floral Theme Naming in the game.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She's been friends with Rin and Kaede for a long time and actually already confessed to Rin, but he didn't want to upset the status quo at the time.
- Dogged Nice Girl: After bumping into Rin once in town, she starts hanging around town hoping to find him and keep trying to get him. Mind you, she doesn't even live that close to him anymore.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals
- Idiot Hair
- Love Confession: Confessed once in middle school, but Rin turned her down because of Kaede.
- Love Triangle: She was on the losing end of one thanks to Kaede some time ago. It's not that Rin liked Kaede, but it was just really bad timing on Sakura's part.
- Remember the New Guy: Right, Rin and Kaede's friend. That they've never mentioned. And doesn't go to the same school or live close by.
DaisyA strange girl Rin runs into at a cafe.
Voiced by: Hideki Ogihara (JP), Todd Haberkorn (EN)Itsuki's mantra is to love all girls equally. Academically at the top of Rin and Kaede's class, Itsuki dreams of ending up with a harem consisting of the girls that Rin does not pick.
- Cooking Duel: Test score comparison with Rin.
- Handsome Lech: He is successful enough to be given lunchboxes, but is generally shown to be unsuccessful in his attempts to flirt with the main cast.
- Hot for Teacher: Itsuki hits on Ms. Beni during the Beach Episode and turns Blue with Shock upon discovering who she is.
- Genre Savvy: Itsuki hides Rin in a broom closet, and then proceeds to point out that he is very lucky to be in his situation, that he needs to choose, and it's a completely understandable sentiment that other men are jealous of him.
- Informed Ability: Mayumi states that Itsuki is at the top of the class along with Rin and Kaede, but outside his test duel with Rin, no other mention of his academic prowess is seen.
- Matchmaker Crush: Not only does he like Mayumi while helping her and Rin get together, but the relationship would never have happened at all if he hadn't gone out of his way to tell Mayumi how he and Rin became friends, which involved Rin defending Mayumi when he didn't even know her.
- Shipper on Deck: It was his idea to set up Rin's date with Asa that way. Rin gets slapped for his trouble. Thanks a lot Itsuki.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You: Much to Mayumi's irritation, he doesn't hit on her. She's not really interested in him, but it's still insulting. He, on the other hand, is actually interested in her.
- Those Two Guys: With Mayumi.
Voiced by: Yuria (JP), Jamie Marchi (EN)Ama is Asa's mother, who has always taken care of her whenever she got sick.
- Adorkable: By way of Kawaiiko.
- Bokukko: Oddly enough, the adorable woman uses a masucline pronoun.
- Good Parents: Her relationship to Asa is loving and close.
- Kawaiiko: Her adorable and cuddly cuteness is outright acknowledged by Itsuki, which makes the revealing of her age all the more comically-devastating.
- Mum Looks Like A Sister: She looks young and attractive enough for Itsuki to hit on her, before they're introduced. Everyone is surprised when they find out who she is.
- Never Bareheaded: And there's a reason.
- Nice Girl: No wonder Asa is such a bright ray of positive sunshine; just look at her sweet and kind-hearted role-model.
- Nice Hat: Her bandanna, which is used to hide her demon length ears from everyone else.
- Older Than She Looks: Young-looking enough to be mistaken for Asa's cute-big-sister by essentially everyone.
- Woman Child: Her relationship to Asa, although loving and close, is more like that between a big-sister and little-sister than mother-daughter proper.
- Bumbling Dad: He means well but stumbles in his attempts at pushing Rin at Sia.
- Butt Monkey: Much of his screentime is spent getting whacked by his daughter or some other misfortune.
- God Is Good: The King of the Gods is an affably guy and a doting father.
- Running Gag: His attempts at cooking and failing badly. Also, being hit by chairs by his daughter.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite his dark hair, black clothing, and his race, he's a Nice Guy.
- Genre Savvy: He tries to give his daughter an edge by informing her about costumes that turn up in shows like this. The french maid outfit for one and the school swimsuit for another.
- Hidden Depths: Tick Tack reveals likely reason why he was so glad when Nerine learned how to make omelette's. Tasty omelette was what made Forbesii hire Sage, his future wife and Nerine's mother as his maid. Considering that Nerine is aiming at becoming Rin's wife, it's probable that in Forbesii's mind she's already won half the battle, justifying his celebratory mood.
- House Husband: He's the one who cooks Nerine's lunches (at least until she learns cooking from Asa).
- Satan Is Good: The King of the Devils is also an affably guy and a doting father.
Voiced by: Haruka Nagami (JP), Mary Morgan (EN)Lycoris is Nerine's clone. After the failure of the first experimental test subject (Ama Shigure), the scientists decided to take someone who already had strong magical abilities to experiment on. Nerine, with her power, was an ideal candidate but since she was Forbesii's daughter, they could not risk Nerine's life, even if she was willing. Thus, they cloned Lycoris from her cells, however, as all clones go, they have a short lifespan. Nerine then fell ill, and Lycoris volunteered to sacrifice her life force for Nerine's sake. That is how Nerine and Lycoris became one. It is also revealed that it was Lycoris, not Nerine, who met Rin.
- Artificial Human: A clone of Nerine.
- Body Snatcher: At the climax of the Nerine/Primula arc, she takes control of their shared body to resolve the power meltdown crisis.
- Clone Degeneration: Clones have short life spans.
- Nice Girl
- Posthumous Character: By the time of the main narrative, she's been living inside Nerine for some time.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Kaze No Koe Fansubs spelled her name as Licorice.