Characters: Reimei No Arcana
The characters of the manga series Reimei No Arcana
open/close all folders
The Princess of Senan who is arranged to marry Belquat's second-in-line, Prince Caesar. Nakaba is resented by nobles for her inferior red hair and illegitimate birth, forcibly residing in a remote tower for most of her life. Initially emotionless and resigned to her life as a "prisoner" of Belquat, her new found ability, Time's Arcana, as well as her growing relationship with Caesar and her strong friendship with Loki, is what allows Nakaba to develop into a stronger person who wants to help others.
Second-in-line to the Belquat throne and Nakaba's husband. Caesar has been pressured from a young age to fight for the throne due to his noble background and black hair, but he shows disinterest in becoming Belquat's succeeding king. He initially starts off as a childish and immature, young man that is empty and devoid of any purpose, but it is only through Nakaba's kindness and eventual love that Caesar becomes a more kinder person who is willing to do what is right.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted. It is only once he starts acting like less of a jerk and more of a decent person that Nakaba begins to reciprocate his feelings for her.
- Always Save the Girl
- Always Second Best: Cain's jealousy of him is rooted from this.
- Arranged Marriage: With Nakaba. It eventually ends up being a Perfectly Arranged Marriage. As of Chapter 39, he is forced to marry Louise because of his mother but does not have too much qualms towards the marriage because it won't affect his love for Nakaba and he knows that Louise has fallen for Cain. Nakaba and he later remarry.
- Bastard Boyfriend/Domestic Abuser: He initially acts like this towards Nakaba in Chapter 1, yanking at her braid and pulling forced kisses on her, prior to his Character Development.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Nakaba was the first person who believed in him. This is why he falls for her.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nakaba.
- Beneath the Mask/Hidden Depths: Initially introduced as an immature jerkass, he turns out to be pressured to gain the throne by his mother and a noblewoman who holds affections for him and thus feels empty because he has no desire for anything for himself and is aware of his half-brother's hatred for him, in spite of his attempts to gain his affection.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Loki's Betty.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Though everyone finds him more suitable for the throne than Cain and expects him to challenge his half-brother as the heir to the throne, he shows disinterest in becoming Belquat's succeeding king. This turns out to be intentional because he is aware that Cain hates him and his attempt to distance himself from the throne is his way of trying to gain his Cain's love.
- Brown Eyes
- Butt Monkey
- Cain and Abel: Naturally between Cain and himself.
- Character Development
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He can be quite clingy and jealous sometimes when it comes to Nakaba and Loki's closeness to her.
- Defrosting Ice King: Starts off cold and cruel to Nakaba, but kindness and patience softens him.
- First Guy Wins
- The Four Loves: Type Storge. All he wants is his half-brother Cain's love and for Cain to stop hating him.
- Freudian Excuse: His immaturity and lazy inclination towards succeeding the throne is derived from the emptiness he feels of having no purpose of his own, and from being aware of Cain's hatred for him, and in an attempt to receive his half-brother's love, tried to appear unsuitable for the throne.
- Green-Eyed Monster:
- He is jealous of the fact that Nakaba is close to Loki, or rather that his "wife" is close to "another man," but he eventually grows to tolerate it because he knows how important Loki is to her. In earlier chapters, he was also jealous of Loki because he is a sub-person—who have keener senses and are physically stronger than humans—which he could not hope to surpass himself.
- He also has some jealousy towards Adel after Adel and Nakaba are married.
- Happily Married: To Nakaba.
- Happy Marriage Charade: How his marriage to Nakaba starts off. They end up Happily Married.
- Honor Before Reason
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: One of the first few things that attracts him to (and annoys him about) Nakaba is her refusal to be controlled by him.
- Important Haircut
- Innocently Insensitive: When they visits the Senan castle, he teases Nakaba for "having No Sense of Direction" when she forgets where to go, to which Loki replies that he's "losing points." Later, when he sees a remote tower in the castle, he asks about it, unaware that this is where Nakaba had lived for the past fourteen years. Loki pretty much tells him this and explains this is why he said he was "losing points [with Nakaba]," to his shock and Nakaba's provocation.
- Jerkass -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Locked Out of the Loop: He is kept in the dark about Nakaba's power, Time's Arcana. He is aware that Nakaba is keeping a secret from him but accepts it.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Love at First Punch
- Love Redeems: His love for Nakaba is what allows him to become a more kinder and selfless person.
- Man Child: This is due to his (initial) immaturity.
- Meaningful Name: His name means "head of hair," which is notable in a world where Hair Colors are Serious Business. It's also the same name as another well-known ruler.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It turns out that he pretended to be unsuitable for the throne so Cain could become the successor, as he didn't want to stand in Cain's way or have Cain continue hating him.
- Prince Charmless: Subverted. He starts off like this. Then the Character Development and Love Redeems kicks in.
- Red Oni: To Loki's Blue Oni.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Sibling Triangle: With Cain and Louise.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Cain.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Loki. They are slowly developing into Fire-Forged Friends.
- Triang Relations: Type 4 with Loki as (A), Nakaba as (B), and himself as (C); Type 5 with Cain as (A), Louise as (B), and himself as (C).
- Troubled, but Cute
- Undying Loyalty: To Nakaba.
- Unwanted Spouse: Of Nakaba, initially. They end up Happily Married. Subverted with Louise. He was initially against marrying him because he is already married to Nakaba but inevitably agrees in order to do whatever that is necessary to become king and because Louise no longer has feelings for him (and thus will not affect his feelings for Nakaba). Nakaba and he later remarry.
- Warrior Prince
- The Wise Prince
- Youngest Child Wins: Caesar was born with black hair, considered to be the prized hair color of the royals, and is considered more suitable for the throne than his older half-brother Cain, who was born with blond hair. He is happily married to Nakaba and is the object of Cain's fiancee Louise's affections. Following Cain's death, he is the direct heir to the throne.
Nakaba's attendant and longtime friend. Loki is a sub-person: a half-beast and half-human with beast ears and a tail. He is important to Nakaba, as he has stayed by her side and taken care of her since she was a child, and is the only person from Senan who accompanies her to Belquat, as well as her only source of comfort and solace in an unfamiliar country that despises her. Loki is distrustful of Caesar and is determined to protect Nakaba.
- All Love Is Unrequited: It has been hinted in Chapter 21 and revealed in Chapter 32 that Loki is in love with Nakaba. When he makes her choose between them, she chooses Caesar.
- Always Save the Girl
- Always Second Best: Caesar is not only jealous of him due to his closeness to Nakaba but also due to the fact that sub-people have stronger senses and are physically stronger than humans, which Caesar cannot hope to surpass.
- Attempted Rape: An interesting variant in Chapter 32. While using Time's Arcana, Nakaba witnesses a flashback where he was tempted to but restrained himself from "violating" her in her sleep. This incident is notable because this is what makes Nakaba realize that he is in love with her.
- Battle Butler
- Beneath the Mask/Hidden Depths: Lemilia says that behind his surface, he is muddled with conflicting feelings of "loneliness, pain, love, hatred, and fear." Later chapters show the extent of his suppressed emotions, from his determination to protect Nakaba resulting in him killing and covering up the death of a noblewoman to how he restrains his suppressed feelings for Nakaba to the point where he has to tell himself not to violate her. The final chapters reveal that Nakaba and he are actually siblings and are half-Ajin; while he loves Nakaba and his life revolves around her, he also envies her at the same time as she physically looks more human than Ajin while he had to secretly burden the fact that he was half-human but would always be treated badly.
- Berserk Button: Insult Nakaba, and you might just get a death threat and a knife at your throat. Threaten Nakaba, and you will probably get yourself killed.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Caesar's Veronica.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is utterly and completely devoted to Nakaba. Threaten Nakaba, and all bets are off.
- Big Brother Instinct
- Blue Oni: To Caesar's Red Oni.
- Bodyguard Crush
- Brother-Sister Incest: He is in love with Nakaba and knew all along that they were siblings.
- Celibate Hero: He rejects Bella's advances and doesn't seem interested in romance or women beyond his deep attachment for Nakaba. Subverted as it turns out that he does have romantic feelings for Nakaba, but the feelings are not mutual.
- The Champion
- Childhood Friends: With Nakaba. Subverted as he is actually her brother.
- Dark Secret: He is hinted to have one in Chapter 25 that he is unable to tell Nakaba. It is hinted that his secret is killing Bella to protect Nakaba, though the final chapters reveal that his secret is much more complicated and painful than that.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has a habit of commenting whenever Caesar accidentally insults Nakaba.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Facial Markings
- Failure Knight: His determination to protect Nakaba seems to stem from his failure in protecting her mother, who died protecting them from a Belquat soldier. This causes him not to want to lose anyone else important to him.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Chapter 21 seemingly hints that Loki has feelings for Nakaba and is jealous of Caesar's relationship with her. Chapter 32 confirms it.
- Hopeless Suitor: Despite his feelings for her, because he has the same ability as Nakaba, he knew all along that Nakaba would go to Belquat and marry and fall in love with Caesar.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He certainly has his moments as the former, but he's typically the latter.
- Meaningful Name: He's not necessarily like the trickster god of Norse Mythology, but he does have a few tricks up his sleeve like his scheme to gain Caesar's trust while underhandedly creating a sub-person to attack Belquat (which never comes to fruition) and manipulating Nakaba into distrusting Caesar.
- Nice Guy: For the most part. See Hidden Depths.
- The Mole: It turns out that, along with Rito, he sent internal affairs to the Senan King at the latter's orders.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Nakaba. Subverted in Chapter 32, as it turns out he's in love with her.
- Poisonous Friend
- Promotion to Parent
- The Resenter: Towards Caesar and Nakaba.
- The Rival
- Stepford Smiler
- The Stoic
- Subordinate Excuse
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Caesar. They are slowly developing into Fire-Forged Friends.
- Tranquil Fury
- Triang Relations: Type 4 with himself as (A), Nakaba as (B), and Caesar as (C).
- Troubled, but Cute
- Undying Loyalty: To Nakaba.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend
- Vague Age: It is unknown how old he is, but since he appears to be an older child or an early teenager when Nakaba was a toddler in flashbacks, it can be assumed that he is older than Nakaba at the very least.
- Yandere: He has quite a few elements of this, from threatening Caesar for insulting Nakaba and regretting that he didn't kill Caesar due to Nakaba's and Caesar's growing closeness in earlier chapters to killing Bella for threatening to have Nakaba either killed or raped by soldiers.
The current king of Senan and Nakaba's grandfather. He harbors hatred towards Belquat for the murder of his only daughter (and Nakaba's mother) and confined Nakaba to a remote tower in the Senan castle for most of her life. Though Nakaba is similar to her mother, he is unable to love her.
- Parental Favoritism: Favored Nakaba's mother because she was the daughter of his most beloved queen.
- Revenge: Considers sending Caesar's head to Belquat in revenge for his daughter's death before Nakaba intervenes.
Nakaba's mother and the previous direct heir to the Senan throne. She is the only beloved child of the King of Senan. She ran away with her lover to an Ajin village, where Nakaba lived her childhood in, and sacrificed herself during Belquat's attack in order to save Nakaba and Loki.
Nakaba's relative (half-cousin) and a grandson of the king and the present queen of Senan. He is first-in-line to the Senan throne.
- Arranged Marriage: To Nakaba in Chapter 39.
- Berserk Button: He loses his nerve once he notices Nakaba has developed emotions. Prior to her marriage to Caesar, she was an Emotionless Girl.
- Evil Counterpart: Quite a bit to Caesar. He physically resembles Caesar (before the latter's Important Haircut) and acts like a complete jerkass to Nakaba to the point of grabbing her hair like how Caesar used to yank at her braid. This is lampshaded later when Nakaba, using Time's Arcana, sees the past with him insulting her and pulling on her braid, which reminds her of Caesar.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He seems to harbor jealousy over the effect Loki and especially Caesar have over Nakaba.
- Idiot Hair
- Jerkass: He is introduced in this fashion, insulting Nakaba in his first appearance in Chapter 23. Chapter 24 furthers this by showing that in the past he often went out of his way to insult her just because he could.
- Kick the Dog: He is a constant offender of this to Nakaba.
- Kissing Cousins: It hasn't been outright stated, but it is hinted that he might have feelings for Nakaba. This would also explain why he reacted negatively to Nakaba's newfound emotions and to her husband Caesar, and why he disliked Nakaba comparing him to Loki and favoring Loki over him in the past. As of Chapter 39, he has married Nakaba, if only because of her power over Time's Arcana; he wants to consummate the marriage, but Nakaba's tears about Caesar cause him to "postpone" it.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Pet the Dog: He has very, very occasional moments of this with Nakaba after they are married, but it is not enough for her to stop from taking Senan from him.
- Royal Brat
- Meaningful Name: His name means "noble." Naturally, he is revealed to be the successor to the Senan throne.
- Put on a Bus: Shortly after being introduced in Chapter 23.
- Unwanted Spouse: To Nakaba. Subverted as she did form enough of an attachment and/or pity to feel apologetic when she takes Senan from him.
A sub-person who was one of few friends that Nakaba had in Senan.
Rito's mother. Other than Rito, she was the only other person who was kind to Nakaba during her stay in the Senan Castle. She is imprisoned in Nakaba's tower at the king's command, blackmailing Rito into spying on Nakaba in order to free her.
The king of Belquat and the father of Caesar and Cain.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When King Guran enters the dining hall and is startled that Nakaba is dressed in Senan attire, Loki takes responsibility for it. King Guran reacts by slashing Loki with his sword and ordering for him to be killed.
- The Mourning After
The mother of Caesar and King Guran's second wife. She is determined to make sure Caesar surpasses Cain in becoming king and continues to feel jealousy and resentment over King Guren's preference of Lady Sarah over her. She was originally a concubine and her titles with Lady Sarah were switched in order to secure Caesar's legitimacy to the throne.
Cain's mother and King Guran's first wife. She was born a commoner and is the favored wife of King Guran. However, noblemen disliked her for her blonde hair and commoner status. Sarah died of an illness and had her titles switched with Queen Rosenta due to Caesar's birth. This is one of the factors that drives Cain's resentment towards Caesar.
Caesar's older half-brother and first-in-line to the Belquat throne. He is arranged to marry Louise.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He has unrequited feelings for his fiancee Louise, who is in love with Caesar. Ironically, Louise only realizes that she reciprocates his feelings once he dies.
- Aloof Big Brother/Big Brother Mentor: Zigzagged between these towards Caesar when they were children.
- Arranged Marriage: With Louise. Had Cain not have pulled a Face-Heel Turn, it could have very well ended up being a Perfectly Arranged Marriage.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil: Subverted.
- Cain and Abel: Naturally between Caesar and himself.
- Death Equals Redemption/Redemption Equals Death: He stopped himself from attacking Lemilia when Nakaba went in the way, as he recognized her and did not want to harm her. But it is because he threatened Nakaba that Loki killed him.
- Driven by Envy
- Envy: He is jealous of Caesar for the latter's mother being promoted to queen while the former's mother gets dethroned from the position, Caesar being born with black hair, and his arranged fiancee and love interest Louise having feelings for Caesar over him. However, this ends up being his Fatal Flaw.
- Evil Counterpart: To Nakaba. They are both discriminated for their hair colors and inferiority. The only difference is that while Nakaba decided to overcome it, he gave up.
- Fatal Flaw: His Envy towards Caesar and his Revenge Before Reason in attacking Lemilia ultimately seal his death.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Killed Off for Real
- Meaningful Name
- Not So Different: With Nakaba. There's even a side chapter dedicated to his thoughts of her from meeting her to his death, where he ultimately considers her as his "conscience."
- The Resenter
- Revenge Before Reason: His abrupt decision to attack Lemilia over her fear of him led to him ultimately getting killed.
- Sibling Triangle: With Caesar and Louise.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Caesar.
- Stepford Smiler
- Triang Relations: Type 5 with himself as (A), Louise as (B), and Caesar as (C).
- Warrior Prince
The daughter of a Belquat general and Cain's arranged fiancee. She is in love with Caesar and is jealous of Nakaba.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She is the object of Cain's unrequited affection, and she has unrequited feelings for Caesar. Subverted in that while her feelings for Caesar are unrequited, she seems to have developed some feelings for Cain following his death. As of Chapter 39, she has married Caesar but no longer retains feelings for him due to her feelings for Cain.
- Arranged Marriage:
- Subverted with her marriage to Caesar in Chapter 39 as she is no longer in love with him.
- Beauty Mark: By her left eye.
- Character Development: In the beginning of the manga, she loved Caesar and wanted him to actively fight for the throne against Cain. Following Cain's death, she shows reluctance and sadness over Caesar's mother attempting to get Caesar married to her so it would stop the rumors of Caesar being Cain's murderer.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- The General's Daughter
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is jealous of Nakaba (and of Caesar's growing affection for her) and on one occasion gets Nakaba and Loki thrown in jail merely because Nakaba "stole Caesar-sama away from [her]."
- The Mourning After: After Cain dies, she realizes she's in love with him.
- Pet the Dog: When she cries over Cain after his death.
- The Resenter
- The Rival
- Sibling Triangle: With Caesar and Cain.
- Triang Relations: Type 5 with Cain as (A), herself as (B), and Caesar as (C).
- Unwanted Spouse
The Belquat king's trusted advisor who is often in the company of Caesar. He joins Nakaba's quest alongside his younger sister Lemilia.
Vernas' younger sister who quickly develops a fast friendship with Nakaba and is the second person who Nakaba successfully rescues from a foreseen demise. She also has an Arcane that allows her to read minds.
Lithuanel's first prince.
Lithuanel's second prince and Ahkil's older half-brother, Azuhal was born on the same day as the first prince Baatar. Ahkil prefers to see Azuhal gain the throne in comparison to its direct heir and requests Nakaba and the others to help capture the bandits plaguing their cities in order to help Azuhal succeed the throne.
Lithuanel's fifth prince. He briefly meets Nakaba during his visit to Belquat and knows a lot of information about Time's Arcana. Ahkil requests several times for Nakaba to visit his country in order to use her power to see its future and to stop any strife.
Irasifu or Elaheh, in the official romanization.
A snake-like Ajin who is among the bandits attacking the Lithuanel cities.
An Ajin who Nakaba and the others meet in Ajin Village. He joins them in their quest to Senan.