open/close all folders
Frank Moses (Bruce Willis)
- Back in the Saddle: After assassins try to kill him.
- Badass Grandpa: He manages to mop the floor with Cooper at one point in the first movie.
- Bald of Awesome: Bald and very Badass.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He and Sarah bond over romance novels. That likely qualifies him.
- The Hero: Leads the other characters.
- A Match Made in Stockholm: With Sarah.
Marvin Boggs (John Malkovich)
- BFG: Carries one in a plush pig toy.
- Bond One-Liner: "Old man, my ass" after he blows up a younger assassin in the first movie.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's very good at what he does despite being eccentric.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Although a little more heroic than the typical examples, he's still an unstable nutcase gleefully played for laughs.
- Sensei for Scoundrels: In Red 2 Marvin keeps passing Sara covert-ops tips or handguns despite the objection of Frank.
Joe Matheson (Morgan Freeman)
- Dirty Old Man: At one point early in the movie, he gets a nurse to inspect a TV set just so he can look at her backside.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He allows himself to be shot by snipers so Frank and the others can make a getaway.
- Living on Borrowed Time: Joe has cancer.
Victoria Winslow (Helen Mirren)
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: In the final act of the first movie.
- Shoot Your Mate: In the past, she shot Ivan. Didn't stop them from being together.
William Cooper (Karl Urban)
- Anti-Villain: Type IV. He is an entirely honest agent just doing his job. He even comes to Frank's side once he realizes the truth.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Wears a suit.
- I Have Your Wife: Takes Sarah captive at one point in the first movie.
Alexander Dunning (Richard Dreyfuss)
- Big Bad: Of the first movie.
- Card-Carrying Villain: "You don't have people killed. I have people killed. I'm the bad guy, REMEMBER!?"
Cynthia Wilkes (Rebecca Pidgeon)
- The Dragon: To Dunning in the first film.
Dr. Edward Bailey (Anthony Hopkins)
- Big Bad: Of the second movie.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: It turns out to be an act, though.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His wife and son were murdered.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He gets blown up by his own bomb at the end of the second movie.
- Obfuscating Insanity: It's all fake.
Han Cho Bai (Byung-hun Lee)
- Berserk Button: Stealing (and later blowing up) his plane is a bad idea.
- Enemy Mine: Frank convinces Han to help him stop Bailey halfway through the second movie.
- Serious Business: His plane.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Frank at the end of the sequel.
Jack Horton (Neal McDonough)
Sarah Ross (Mary-Louise Parker)
- Angrish: After Frank tapes her mouth shut while trying to get her to safety.
- Bound and Gagged: See above.
Ivan Simanov (Brian Cox)
- Foot Focus: In Red 2 he waxes lyrical about Victoria's stockinged feet while she does some sniping.
- Old Flame: Of Victoria's.
Robert Stanton (Julian McMahon)
- President Evil: Well, he's Vice President, but he's running to become President of the United States. Ultimately subverted.
Henry (Ernest Borgnine)
- Everybody Calls Him Barkeep: He's known as the "Records Keeper."
Gabriel Singer (James Remar)
Katya Petrokovich (Catherine Zeta-Jones)
- Old Flame: Of Frank's.
The Frog (David Thewlis)
- Flipping the Bird: Pulls this on Marvin and Sarah after they fail to catch him. Then he gets slammed by Frank and Katya's car.