open/close all folders
- Played By: Bruce Willis
- Back in the Saddle: After assassins try to kill him.
- Badass Grandpa: He manages to mop the floor with Cooper at one point in the first movie.
- Bald of Awesome: Bald and very badass.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He and Sarah bond over romance novels. That likely qualifies him.
- The Hero: Leads the other characters.
- A Match Made in Stockholm: With Sarah.
- Played By: John Malkovich
- BFG: Carries one in a plush pig toy.
- Bond One-Liner: "Old man, my ass" after he blows up a younger assassin in the first movie.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's very good at what he does despite being highly paranoid and eccentric.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Although a little more heroic than the typical examples, he's still an unstable nutcase gleefully played for laughs.
- Sensei for Scoundrels: In Red 2, Marvin keeps passing Sara covert ops tips or handguns despite Frank's objections.
- Played By: Morgan Freeman
- Dirty Old Man: At one point early in the movie, he gets a nurse to inspect a TV set just so he can look at her backside.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He allows himself to be shot by snipers so Frank and the others can make a getaway.
- Living on Borrowed Time: Joe has cancer.
- Played By: Helen Mirren
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: In the final act of the first movie.
- Shoot Your Mate: In the past, she shot Ivan. Didn't stop them from being together.
- Played By: Karl Urban
- Anti-Villain: Cooper is a Type IV. He's an entirely honest agent just doing his job. He even comes to Frank's side once he realizes the truth.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Wears a suit while doing his business.
- I Have Your Wife: Takes Sarah captive at one point in the first movie.
- Played By: Richard Dreyfuss
- Big Bad: Of the first movie.
- Card-Carrying Villain: "You don't have people killed. I have people killed. I'm the bad guy, REMEMBER!?"
- Played By: Rebecca Pidgeon
- The Dragon: To Dunning in the first film.
Dr. Edward Bailey
- Played By: Anthony Hopkins
- Big Bad: Of the second movie.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: It turns out to be an act, though.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His wife and son were murdered.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He gets blown up by his own bomb at the end of the second movie.
- Obfuscating Insanity: It's all fake.
Han Cho Bai
- Played By: Byung-hun Lee
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He kicks major ass all while wearing a nice suit.
- Berserk Button: Stealing (and later blowing up) his plane is a sure way to piss him off.
- Enemy Mine: Frank convinces Han to help him stop Bailey halfway through the second movie.
- Serious Business: His plane.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Frank at the end of the sequel.
- Played By: Neal McDonough
- Played By: Mary-Louise Parker
- Angrish: After Frank tapes her mouth shut while trying to get her to safety.
- Bound and Gagged: See above.
- Played By: Brian Cox
- Foot Focus: In Red 2, he waxes lyrical about Victoria's stocking-ed feet while she does some sniping.
- Old Flame: Of Victoria's.
- Played By: Julian McMahon
- President Evil: Well, he's Vice President, but he's running to become President of the United States. Ultimately subverted.
- Played By: Ernest Borgnine
- Everybody Calls Him "Barkeep": He's known as the "Records Keeper."
- Played By: James Remar
- Played By: Catherine Zeta-Jones
- Old Flame: Of Frank's.
- Played By: David Thewlis
- Flipping the Bird: Pulls this on Marvin and Sarah after they fail to catch him. Then he gets slammed by Frank and Katya's car.