Characters / Rain
The main character of the comic. She is a trans girl and is trying to pass as a girl through her senior year of high school.Associated tropes
- Adorkable: Cute, geeky, and more than a bit nervous at times.
- Cain and Abel: Was the latter to Aiken initially (before they made up) and is now the latter to Kellen after the haircut incident. She wants nothing to do with her sister following it (on top of the various attempts to explain the transgenderism away).
- Cannot Spit It Out: Towards Emily. Though it seems that she's picked up on her feelings somewhat. At the end of Chapter 28, she finally managed it.
- Cry Cute: Pretty much once a chapter.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Girl: She tries to be as kind as possible to everyone, including her family, even when they're not willing to accept her for who she is.
- Oblivious to Love
- Occidental Otaku: She loves manga.
- Official Couple: with Rudy. The two recently broke up on good terms though.
- And then with Emily later.
- Peek-a-Bangs: It's revealed in an ask blog that she intentionally styles her hair this way.
- Secret Keeper: She's initially the first person to whom Emily reveals her pregnancy. She also is aware of Ky's genderfluid status, but that's more of a You Never Asked thing on Ky's part.
- She's Got Legs: Maria comments on her "Beautiful, perfect legs" early on.
- Ship Tease: Tons of it with Emily.
- Shrinking Violet: For the most part she's very shy and soft spoken.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: for Maria and Gavin
- Transsexual: She's a DMAB trans girl.
- Traumatic Haircut: Received one in her sleep courtesy of Kellen. Needless to say she was not happy.
- Unwanted Harem: She has the tendency to attract a lot of male attention.
Rain's aunt, and an art teacher. Treats Rain like her own daughter.Associated tropes
Rain's friend from childhood.Associated tropes
A no longer closeted lesbian with a crush on Rain.Associated tropes
Maria's openly gay younger brother. He's was dating, but broke up with Rain.Associated tropes
- Cure Your Gays: The reason he was sent to Catholic school; other people think that this has happened to him now that he's dating Rain. Ultimately averted; it didn't stick.
- Official Couple: with Rain, until they broke up.
- If It's You, It's Okay: how he feels about Rain. Foreshadowed to be deconstructed.
- The Pollyanna: Despite all the issues that happen in the story, he's almost constantly smiling.
- Stepford Smiler: After the breakup, it's revealed that the constant cheer is (at times) a facade.
- The Tease: Occasionally flirts with straight guys, mostly Gavin. He doesn't really seem to mind.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: His breakup with Rain has left him with a considerable amount of bitterness.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: As "Ruby".
A popular girl at school.Associated tropes
- Alpha Bitch: Initially.
- Beneath the Mask: Her Alpha Bitch personality is actually a fabricated persona. Beneath that, she's actually, in her own words, "awkward and antisocial and really kind of a loser"
- Bi the Way: Pansexual, actually, but you have to be very close friends with her to get her to admit it.
- Character Development: Starts out as an antagonistic Alpha Bitch, but after the Halloween Party and becoming pregnant, she progresses into one of Rain's closest friends and her first girlfriend.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rain. Especially evident in comparison to Kellen.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Hidden Depths: Knows an awful lot about sexual and romantic orientation for a (supposedly) straight girl.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She grows past her initial threatened attitude and becomes close friends with Rain.
- May–December Romance: With Chase. It doesn't last long.
- Miss Exposition: See hidden depths, above.
- Official Couple: With Rain.
- Parental Neglect: She was born from an unplanned pregnancy. She never knew her father, and her mother is always out of the house.
- Teen Pregnancy: Ended up with one with her ex-boyfriend Chase as the father.
- Yuri Fangirl: Ends up buying girls-love fancomics at Center Con.
A shy girl who talked to Maria at the Halloween party.Associated tropes
Brother Arthur Feltman
The dean of students, as well as a math teacher.Associated tropes
Rain's neighbor who sometimes presents as male and sometimes as female.Associated tropes
- Ambiguous Gender: Never assigns a label to themself although they are sometimes referred to genderfluid by the readers and the author usually uses male pronouns for them in the commentary.
- Bi the Way
- Transsexual: They are genderfluid.
Kellen and Aiken
Rain's older brother and sister.Associated tropes
- Cain and Abel: Aiken was the Cain to Rain's Abel at first, but after some soul searching and a Jerkass Realization, he's no longer this. Kellen on the other hand has seemingly irrevocably become the Cain after cutting Rain's hair in her sleep. Rain refuses to have anything to do with the older sister and Kellen in turn tells her that she considers her embarrassing to be around.
- Half-Identical Twins: Averted. Kellen looks more similar to Rain than Aiken.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Aiken was initially a transphobic Jerkass who left his fiancee and refused to accept Rain. After a realization and a ton of research on the subject, he's now become one of Rain's biggest supporters, even calling her "baby sis," and wants to patch things over with Jessica.
Aiken's former fiancee.Associated tropes
Jessica and Rain's therapist.Associated tropes
- New Old Flame: Dated Fara prior to his transition.
- Nice Guy: He is easy going and friendly to everyone, rarely showing anger towards anyone.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, obviously. Talk therapy is a critical part of transition, and the series doesn't shy away from showing the good and the bad of the process.
- Transsexual: Previously known as Vivian. Rain never guessed.
An old friend of Gavin and Rain.Associated tropes