The main character of the comic. She is a trans girl and is trying to pass as a girl through her senior year of high school.Associated tropes
- Adorkable: Cute, geeky, and more than a bit nervous at times.
- Cain and Abel: Was the latter to Aiken initially (before they made up) and is now the latter to Kellen after the haircut incident. She wants nothing to do with her sister following it (on top of the various attempts to explain the transgenderism away).
- Cannot Spit It Out: Towards Emily. Though it seems that she's picked up on her feelings somewhat. At the end of Chapter 28, she finally managed it.
- Character Development: Rain starts the story as a neurotic girl afraid of everything that could give her away. While her issues are still there, she eventually grows more and more confident with herself and deals with opposition in an effective manner, as Kellen and Debbie learned the hard way.
- Cry Cute: Pretty much once a chapter.
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Girl: She tries to be as kind as possible to everyone, including her family, even when they're not willing to accept her for who she is.
- Oblivious to Love
- Occidental Otaku: She loves manga.
- Official Couple: with Rudy. The two recently broke up on good terms though.
- And then with Emily later.
- Peek-a-Bangs: It's revealed in an ask blog that she intentionally styles her hair this way.
- Secret Keeper: She's initially the first person to whom Emily reveals her pregnancy, is aware of Ky's genderfluid status (but that's more of a You Never Asked thing on Ky's part), and Ana's past.
- She's Got Legs: Maria comments on her "Beautiful, perfect legs" early on.
- Ship Tease: Tons of it with Emily.
- Shrinking Violet: For the most part she's very shy and soft spoken.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: for Maria and Gavin
- Transsexual: She's a DMAB trans girl.
- Traumatic Haircut: Received one in her sleep courtesy of Kellen. Needless to say she was not happy.
- Unwanted Harem: She has the tendency to attract a lot of male attention.
Rain's friend from childhood.Associated tropes
A no longer closeted lesbian with a crush on Rain.Associated tropes
Maria's openly gay younger brother. He was dating Rain but they eventually broke up.Associated tropes
- Cannot Keep a Secret: He has to be reminded to shut up pretty often. On Rain's first day at St. Hallvard, he immediately outed her to Maria and Gavin.
- Cure Your Gays: The reason he was sent to Catholic school; other people think that this has happened to him now that he's dating Rain. Ultimately averted; it didn't stick.
- Official Couple: with Rain, until they broke up.
- If It's You, It's Okay: how he feels about Rain. Foreshadowed to be deconstructed.
- The Pollyanna: Despite all the issues that happen in the story, he's almost constantly smiling.
- Stepford Smiler: After the breakup, it's revealed that the constant cheer is (at times) a facade.
- The Tease: Occasionally flirts with straight guys, mostly Gavin. He doesn't really seem to mind.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: His breakup with Rain has left him with a considerable amount of bitterness.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: As "Ruby".
A popular girl at school.Associated tropes
- Alpha Bitch: Initially.
- Beneath the Mask: Her Alpha Bitch personality is actually a fabricated persona. Beneath that, she's actually, in her own words, "awkward and antisocial and really kind of a loser"
- Bi the Way: Pansexual, actually, but you have to be very close friends with her to get her to admit it.
- Character Development: Starts out as an antagonistic Alpha Bitch, but after the Halloween Party and becoming pregnant, she progresses into one of Rain's closest friends and her first girlfriend.
- Cool Big Sis: To Rain. Especially evident in comparison to Kellen.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Hidden Depths: Knows an awful lot about sexual and romantic orientation for a (supposedly) straight girl.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She grows past her initial threatened attitude and becomes close friends with Rain.
- May–December Romance: With Chase. It doesn't last long.
- Miss Exposition: See hidden depths, above.
- Official Couple: With Rain.
- Parental Neglect: She was born from an unplanned pregnancy. She never knew her father, and her mother is always out of the house.
- Teen Pregnancy: Ended up with one with her ex-boyfriend Chase as the father.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She's much nicer with Maria since she friended Rain and became part of the group, even if she does retain some bitchiness.
- Yuri Fangirl: Ends up buying girls-love fancomics at Center Con.
A shy girl who talked to Maria at the Halloween party.Associated tropes
Rain's neighbor who sometimes presents as male and sometimes as female.Associated tropes
Rain's aunt, and an art teacher. Treats Rain like her own daughter.Associated tropes
- Berserk Button: See Mama Bear.
- Bi the Way
- Cool Aunt
- Fiery Red Head: She has dark red hair, and can be very fierce and sharp-tongued when she wants to be.
- Mama Bear: Don't insult Rain in front of her, or else.
- Parental Substitute: for Rain.
- Secret Keeper: For Rain's transition, protecting her from her hostile siblings.
Aiken and Kellen Flaherty
Rain's older brother and sister.Tropes associated with both
- Cain and Abel: Aiken was the Cain to Rain's Abel at first, but after some soul-searching and a Jerkass Realization, he's no longer this. Kellen, on the other hand, has seemingly irrevocably become the Cain after cutting Rain's hair in her sleep. Rain refuses to have anything to do with the older sister and Kellen, in turn, tells her that she considers her embarrassing to be around.
- Half-Identical Twins: Averted. Kellen looks more similar to Rain than Aiken, which the former is not pleased about.
- Jerkass: Both started out as such toward Rain. While Aiken's since had a realization, Kellen on the other hand...
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has this realization after leaving Rain and Fara's place.
- Not So Different: Fara finally seems to get through to him with an Armor-Piercing Question where she compares him to his father.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Completely understandable, given how he acted upon Jessica telling him about her trans status. When he meets with her again, she freezes up and is clearly uncomfortable just having to talk to him despite his apologies. Unlike most examples of this trope, Aiken himself quickly sees it won't work out and leaves wishing her the best...complete with tears in his eyes.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Aiken was initially a transphobic Jerkass who left his fiancee and refused to accept Rain. After a realization and a ton of research on the subject, he's now become one of Rain's biggest supporters, even calling her "baby sis," and attempted to patch things over with Jessica.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Kellen's not so much evil as she is ignorant, unsympathetic and selfish, but she lets Chase have it when she finds out he's the one who got Emily pregnant.
- Freudian Excuse: Vincent seems to think so about her transphobia. He theorizes it has less to do with being inherently transphobic and more with abandonment issues over her parents dying and running out on her and Chase breaking off their engagement. She may have also hated Jessica for taking Aiken away even if she wasn't a transgender woman based on that same issue, even more so that "Rain", the female, is taking away 'Ryan', the baby brother she had known all this time. Marcus' influence probably didn't help matters.
- I Have No Sister: Rain disowns her after the hair incident and writes her off as a lost cause.
- Irony: In her character bio, it's mentioned that Kellen doesn't like being ignored, yet her actions seem to be all but assuring that Rain (and possibly Fara) will spend possibly the rest of their lives ignoring her. Even Aiken seems to be losing his patience with her bigotry and is only staying with her because he has nowhere else to go for the moment.
- Malicious Misnaming: She seems to intentionally misgender both Rain and Jessica.
- Never My Fault: Prefers to blame Rain for getting upset at her prejudiced actions, calls Emily a Social Justice Warrior for trying to explain basic facts and accuses everyone who supports Rain of encouraging a disgusting fetish. Aiken and later Vincent rightfully point out that she's full of it.
- No Social Skills: Not exactly touched upon so far in the actual story, but even when Kellen's not being transphobic she still often puts her foot in her mouth which makes her seem much more jerkish than she actually is.
- Traumatic Haircut: Inflicts this on Rain.
Rain's mom and Fara's older sisterAssociated tropes
- Cool Big Sis: Fara idolized her, though she did think her husband was a bad influence.
- The Disease That Shall Not Be Named: Died of a fatal illness.
- Based on Fara and Rain's discussion after Rain's Traumatic Haircut, she may have suffered from some form of cancer.
- Good Parents: She cared a lot about her kids, even if she did consider her son wanting to be a mommy just a phase.
- Hair Decorations: She wore a purple ribbon in her hair.
- Posthumous Character: She's been dead for about five years by the time the story starts.
Ky's older sisterAssociated tropes
- Asexual: Claims to be this, preferring to keep her relationships short and mostly physical. When she gets drunk, though...
- Although, given her comments and attitude later on in the comic, it's hinted that she might be bi and have a thing for Jess.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She admits to Jess that, because of her condition, she was jealous of Ky for having the femininity that she never got. She's not proud of it.
- Intersex: She was born with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.
- Kissing Under the Influence: Has already happened twice with Fara and Jess.
- Promotion to Parent: When she moved out for college, she took Ky with her.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While she was nowhere near as awful to Ky as their parents, she did treat their genderfluidity as a weird hobby. With time, however, she's become a lot more supportive.
The newest student at the school. She usually just goes by "Ana."Associated tropes
- Dark and Troubled Past: People have tried to hurt her in the past for things she's had no control over. She wants to move past it and just live life as a normal girl.
- Dude Magnet: She attracts a lot of attention.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Rain is (at least physically) attracted to her. It's how she figures out she's a lesbian.
- Hair Decorations: Sports a pink hair clip.
- Held Back in School: Thanks to her moving around a lot, she's a grade lower than Rain and co. despite being around their age.
- Heterochromia: Has one blue eye and one green eye.
- Intersex/Transsexual: She's not entirely certain herself. All she knows is she was born with ambiguous genitalia and designated male, but always identified as female. Since she's had surgery done, she considers herself cisgender and would prefer to keep that information private.
- Nice Girl
- New Transfer Student
- Put on a Bus: Disappears for a few chapters due to her reassignment surgery.
- Ship Tease: Gets a lot with Gavin.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Wears glasses and is a major bitch.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is not fond of Emily and Rain's friendship.
- Jerkass: She clocks Rain and practically blames her for Emily's pregnancy. Rain shuts her down, however.
- Never My Fault: She pins all the blame for Emily distancing herself from her on Rain. After she threatens to tell the whole school Rain is a boy, Rain points out that it would only drive a bigger wedge between her and Emily. She was just scared Debbie and Holly would abandon her after she revealed she's pregnant, which they did.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Emily.
- Cure Your Gays: After he finds himself thinking about Ky, he asks Rudy (who's dating Rain at the time) about how to cure himself of "gay feelings." Obviously, there is no answer.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Good lord. After seeing Ky once at the Halloween party, he finds himself attracted to them, but continually asserts that he's not gay. He seems more afraid of what other people think about him than of actually being gay himself.
- Innocently Insensitive: He's not very nuanced on LGBT matters.
- Ends up very harshly deconstructed. He says some very hurtful things without thinking, outs Ky in front of his classmates, and continually misunderstands their genderfluidity. His constant mixed messages lead to Ky wondering whether he really likes them or just the idea of them. Ky decides that the two just aren't compatible at this point in their lives and maybe they should call it off.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Given the look on his face and the way he talks after he runs into Rain and Emily, it's clear he seriously regrets hurting Ky. He decides to sit prom out, but offers them his tickets to ensure Ky can still attend with them.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: He brings up the idea that Rain is a boy, but wonders if she's genderfluid like Ky. Seems he doesn't even know what transgenderism is.
- Ship Tease: With Ky.
- The Ditz: She's described as a cute, but stereotypically dumb cheerleader.
- Dumbass Has a Point: For all her cluelessness, she can be surprisingly insightful and spot-on at times.
- Innocently Insensitive: Like Drew, she's not very nuanced on LGBT matters. Or a lot of things for that matter.
- Nice Girl
- Relationship Upgrade: With Devon.
- Youthful Freckles
- The Bully
- Jerkass: To put it very mildly
- Fiery Redhead: His hair is bright orange and he's definitely not a quiet type.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He's not fond of "queers" and constantly bullies Rudy over it. Also, a mean-spirited glance and grunt at Colette (who is black) implies that he may be a racist on top of that.
Brother Arthur Feltman
The dean of students, as well as a math teacher.Associated tropes
- Asexual: According to Word of God.
- The Atoner: Is kind to Rain to make up for the way he treated his transsexual brother.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on his left cheek.
- Good Shepherd: As progressive as a Catholic monk in academia gets. Harps on the kids' grades without using their status as a threat.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Secret Keeper: Deduced Rain's identity, and is willfully keeping it from the school administration (which would use it for nefarious purposes).
The principle.Associated tropes
- Bald of Evil: Implied, given that he wears a Dodgy Toupee.
- Disproportionate Retribution: He once gave Gavin a week of detention because he'd let his facial hair grow out too much.
- He also asks Brother Arthur to reprimand Rudy and Rain for "Lewd conduct" in the halls. "Lewd conduct" in this case translates as "holding hands and hugging."
- Jerkass: He's described as evil incarnate.
- Plot-Irrelevant Villain: While he is a cause for serious concern whenever he shows up, his actual relevance in the overall story is pretty minor.
Aiken's former fiancee.Associated tropes
Jessica and Rain's therapist.Associated tropes
- Alliterative Name
- D-Cup Distress: He used to be quite "gifted," much to his displeasure. Though he'll make jokes about it.
- New Old Flame: Dated Fara prior to his transition.
- Nice Guy: He is easy going and friendly to everyone, rarely showing anger towards anyone.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, obviously. Talk therapy is a critical part of transition, and the series doesn't shy away from showing the good and the bad of the process.
- Transsexual: Previously known as Vivian. Rain never guessed.
An old friend of Gavin and Rain.Associated tropes
- Girlish Pigtails
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She accepts that things won't work out with Rain, but still encourages her to confess her feelings to Emily.
- Incompatible Orientation: Why she knows things wouldn't work out with her and Rain.
- Nice Girl: She encourages Rudy (as Ruby) not to get discouraged about dating, since there has to be someone out there for both of them. She also helps encourage Rain, fixes her make-up, convinces her to confess to Emily, apologizes for her past behavior, and asks her to keep in touch.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Allison has had feelings for Rain, at least back when she was Ryan, since first grade. The latter also shared her feelings, but they never dated because of Rain's complicated situation. Unfortunately for Allison, this made dating someone else very difficult.
- Youthful Freckles
Emily's ex-boyfriend.Associated tropes
- The Alcoholic: He drinks a lot.
- Beard of Evil
- Foreshadowing: His first appearance at the Halloween party has him dressed as a devil.
- Harsher in Hindsight: When he went out with Jessica, he calls Emily a crazy brat and outright lies about having done anything with her. Not only is that latter half an obvious lie, but jump ahead 174 pages and Emily implies that he may have actually forced her into it.
- Jerkass: He's a major sleazeball, jackass, and sex offender.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He does call out Emily for her behavior during the Halloween party and the fact that, two months after she broke up with him and stopped talking to him, she wants to get back together. Of course, it's undermined by the fact that Emily is pregnant with his child.
- May–December Romance: With Emily. It didn't last long, especially since she was just dating him to get some approval from her deadbeat mom.
- Overarching Villain: He's become something of one ever since he found out Emily is pregnant, though there's been no confrontation as of late.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Emily very heavily implies that the act that got her pregnant was not consensual.
- Rich Bastard: He comes from a wealthy family and is quite a bastard.
Rain, Aiken, and Kellen's father.Associated tropes
- Abusive Parents: Let's put it this way: why did Aiken finally turn his life around and decide to try and be a better person? Fara compared him to Marcus. A nightmare of Rain's heavily implies that he was much more than just verbally abusive.
- Disappeared Dad: He vanished just before his wife died and nobody's seen him since.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: We never see his eyes, just the bright glare off his glasses.
- The Ghost: He's only been described here and there, and only seen in dreams and flashbacks, but the impact he's had is clear as day.
- Greater-Scope Villain: While he's never made a full appearance to date, it was no doubt his bigoted views on LGBT issues that caused Rain to hide her true self and become a Shrinking Violet for most of her childhood and why Aiken (at first) and Kellen grew up to be unsympathetic towards their youngest sibling and LGBT people overall. Even then, however, the then bigoted Aiken, after being smacked by Fara for his intolerance, was pissed that his aunt made a comparison between his and his father's behavior. Kellen, despite still being a bigot as of now, says that the Flaherty children were relieved about not having to deal with him anymore when he bailed. So, yeah...
- Jerkass: Virtually nothing we have seen or heard about him has been positive.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He was virulently homophobic and transphobic. When Fara was dating a woman, he forbid her from even visiting their home.