Portrayed by: Gale Harold
- The Ace
- Attention Whore: A minor example.
- Taken Up to Eleven when he becomes jealous of Justin and Michael's partnership over their comic book series and proceeds to rip apart the artwork Justin had created for the comic and urinate on the pages.
- The Casanova
- The Charmer
- Closer to Earth: Oh, that crude, simple wisdom of his, which almost always saves the day.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Can be said to have done this to Justin.
- Deadpan Snarker
- The Friend Nobody Likes
- Gaydar : a rather good one at that, as shown when he secudes a presumably closeted collegue in episode 2 of the first season
- Guilt Complex - Gets a slight one in season 2 after Justin's gay-bashing.
- Heartbroken Badass
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Leaning on the Furniture
- Love Triangle - with him, Michael and Justin. There is some obvious, early tension between Michael and Justin because of this.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mr. Fanservice
- Odd Friendship - With Michael.
- Odd Couple - With Justin.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You - Poor Michael.
- Really Gets Around
- Straight Gay
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Beautiful Elite: beautiful, rich, charismatic, narcissistic, informedly perfect (even if his emotional life is a mess).
Portrayed by: Hal Sparks
- Apologises a Lot
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Hollywood Nerd
- Love Triangle: with him, Brian and Justin. There is some obvious, early tension between Michael and Justin because of this.
- Man Child: the comics, being a mom's boy, called adorable several times...
- Nice Guy
- Took a Level in Jerkass; When he lets David's money go to his head.
- Also when he tried to force Justin out of everybody's lives after Justin's first breakup with Brian.
- Odd Friendship: With Brian.
- The Storyteller: sometimes he narrates.
- Wish Fulfillment: How could such a lovably average guy attract such boringly perfect men?
Portrayed by: Peter Paige
- Camp Gay
- May-December Romance: Has a relationship with much older man.
- The Prima Donna: when he becomes a star in Ted's movies.
Theodore (Ted) Schmidt
Portrayed by: Scott Lowell
- Ascended Extra: He was initially supposed to be a counterpart of Phil Delaney from the UK version, but went on a different direction.
- Gay Conservative
- Informed Flaw: The not too unattractive Ted is treated like he was absolutely hideous.
- In an interesing case, he is actually shown to be quite attractive to straight women, just not by most gay men. Alas poor Ted.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Ted was frequently shown, and eventually got fired for, browsing porn sites while at work. Immediately prior to him getting fired it was shown that several of his co-workers were also viewing porn on the internet while they were supposed to be working. Keep in mind Ted was an accountant.
- The Reliable One
- Shrinking Violet: Poor self-deprecating dear.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Ted's UK counterpart dies from a drug overdose. In the US version, he also has a drug overdose, but only winds up in a coma.
Portrayed by: Randy Harrison
- Age Lift: Justin is 17 years old, but he was only 15 years old in the original UK version. He's also slightly more mature.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Coming-Out Story
- The Cutie
- Dogged Nice Guy: Brian isn't abusing him, he is just keeping him at arm's length.
- Guile Hero: Don't let the cute looks fool you. When the gloves come off, Justin is as, if not more cunning than Brian.
- The Twink
- Love Martyr
- Nice Guy
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?
Portrayed by: Thea Gill
Portrayed by: Michelle Clunie
Portrayed by: Sharon Gless
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent
- Closer to Earth
- Cool Old Lady
- Fag Hag
- Fun T-Shirt
- Fiery Redhead
- Good Parent
- Mama Bear
- Team Mom
Portrayed by: Sherry Miller
Portrayed by: Makyla Smith
Portrayed by: Chris Potter
- Control Freak: Regarding Michael as an adult costs them a thorough quarrel on every occasion.
- Hospital Hottie
- Wanko Seme for Michael
Portrayed by: Dean Armstrong
- Dirty Coward: When he leaves Ted to die after a bad reaction to the drugs he gave him