- Plants (Plants vs. Zombies 1 and Plants vs. Zombies 2)
- Zombies (Plants vs. Zombies 1 and Plants vs. Zombies 2)
- Garden Warfare (Plants and Zombies)
Player CharacterThe protagonist. He/she is a suburbanite whose house is constantly besieged by zombies. They later join Crazy Dave on a time-traveling adventure.
- Big "NO!": A loud "Nooo!" can be heard from inside the house if the zombies managed to breach your defences.
- Crazy Survivalist: Except they use mutant plants instead of firearms as weapons.
- Featureless Protagonist / The Ghost: He/she doesn't appear in person, and is supposed to be the player themselves.
- Heroic Mime: As mentioned in Featureless Protagonist, the player character don't even appear in person, let alone have any lines. The only time he/she speaks is when the zombies eats them. See Big "NO!".
- Scream Discretion Shot: In a game over scenario, the zombies break into your house to eat your brains. However this is not a horror game, so you only hear the zombies munching while you scream a Big "NO!".
Crazy DaveThe deuteragonist. The player's neighbor, an insane but friendly man who helps them by offering advice and selling them some items. He later creates a time machine named Penny.
- Badass Beard
- Big Good: He's the main guy who helps you. In Garden Warfare, it shows.
- Catch Phrase: BECAUSE I'M CRAAAAAAAZY!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Isn't called Crazy Dave for nothing.
- Crazy Survivalist: Except he's a nice guy, and uses mutant plants instead of firearms as weapons.
- Ditzy Genius: He comes up with very effective (yet bizarre) methods of fighting against the zombies, and is able to build a time machine, but as he quickly explains, he is crazy.
"Bye-bye, dinos! You'll be birdies in no time."
- He also has some knowledge of birds evolving from dinosaurs, evidenced at the end of Jurassic Marsh when the good guys escape the world due to an incoming meteor.
- Flanderization: In the original, he was a little eccentric and a bit crazy, but still fairly intelligent and knowledgeable about the plants and zombies. In It's About Time, he's made much dumber, often relying on Penny to interpret his ramblings.
- Large Ham: His dialogue certainly shows he really chews the scenery.
- Mad Scientist: Despite his insanity, and besides his (informal) expertise on the plants and zombies, he was able to turn his car into a time machine.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If Zomboss' words were sincere (and that's a huge if), Dave's quest to re-eat his taco in the second game caused huge problems in the timeline.
- Speaking Simlish: Crazy Dave is apparently speaking English (via his text bubbles), though his voice sounds like random gibberish.
- Tinfoil Hat: He wears a saucepan as a helmet, probably to shield his brains from zombies.
- Trademark Favorite Food:
- Bacon, in the first game. He's willing to pay you the absurd price of $1,000 for one strip.
- In the second game, he seems to have developed an obsession for tacos, and is willing to time-travel through millennia to get one.
PennyThe tritagonist. Penny is Crazy Dave's car (a pickup truck / recreational vehicle), that was converted into a robotic time machine. Introduced in Plants vs. Zombies 2, taking Dave and the protagonist through the past and future.
- Computer Voice: Penny is apparently speaking English (via her text bubbles), though her voice sounds like electronic beeping.
- Cool Car: She's a highly intelligent talking car that can bypass the boundaries of time and space. Hardly can get cooler than that.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has several moments of this towards Crazy Dave, such as:Crazy Dave: Is this Last Stand?
Penny: No, this is First Sit. It was sarcasm.
- Put on a Bus: She appears in Garden Warfare 2, but doesn't talk.
- The Smart Girl: She does most of the exposition in the second game.
- Straight Woman: Despite being created by him, she is usually the one who talks common sense into Dave, and tries to calm him down whenever he's acting up.
- Time Machine: Penny brings both Dave and the PC through different timelines, such as: Ancient Egypt, the Wild West, the Far Future, the Dark Ages, etc.