Player CharacterThe protagonist, a suburbanite whose house is constantly besieged by zombies. They later join Crazy Dave on a time-traveling adventure.
- Big "NO!": A loud "Nooo!" can be heard from inside the house if the zombies managed to breach your defences.
- Crazy Survivalist: Except they use mutant plants instead of firearms as weapons.
- Featureless Protagonist / The Ghost: They don't appear in person, and are supposed to be the player themselves.
- Heroic Mime: As mentioned in Featureless Protagonist, the player character doesn't even appear in person, let alone have any lines. The only time they "speak" is when the zombies eats them. See Big "NO!".
- Scream Discretion Shot: In a game over scenario, the zombies break into your house to eat your brains. However, this is not a horror game, so you only hear the zombies munching while you scream a Big "NO!".
Crazy DaveThe deuteragonist. The player's neighbor, an insane but friendly man who helps them by offering advice and selling them some items. He later creates a time machine named Penny.
- Badass Beard
- Big Good: He's the main guy who helps you. In Garden Warfare, it shows.
- Catch-Phrase: BECAUSE I'M CRAAAAAAAZY!
- Cloudcuckoolander: Isn't called Crazy Dave for nothing.
- Crazy Survivalist: Except he's a nice guy, and uses mutant plants instead of firearms as weapons.
- Ditzy Genius: He comes up with very effective (yet bizarre) methods of fighting against the zombies, and is able to build a time machine, but as he quickly explains, he is crazy.
"Bye-bye, dinos! You'll be birdies in no time."
- He also has some knowledge of birds evolving from dinosaurs, evidenced at the end of Jurassic Marsh when the good guys escape the world due to an incoming meteor.
- Flanderization: In the original, he was a little eccentric and a bit crazy, but still fairly intelligent and knowledgeable about the plants and zombies. In It's About Time, he's made much dumber, often relying on Penny to interpret his ramblings.
- Large Ham: His dialogue certainly shows he really chews the scenery.
- Mad Scientist: Despite his insanity, and besides his (informal) expertise on the plants and zombies, he was able to turn his car into a time machine.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If Zomboss' words were sincere (and that's a huge if), Dave's quest to re-eat his taco in the second game caused huge problems in the timeline. However, he claims to be "too taco-addled to care".
- Skewed Priorities: In the final battle of Modern Day, Dave is fixated on his taco and nothing but, to the point he mostly exclaims "TACO!!"
- Speaking Simlish: Crazy Dave is apparently speaking English (via his text bubbles), though his voice sounds like random gibberish.
- Tinfoil Hat: He wears a saucepan as a helmet, probably to shield his brains from zombies.
- Trademark Favorite Food:
- Bacon, in the first game. He's willing to pay you the absurd price of $1,000 for one strip.
- In the second game, he seems to have developed an obsession for tacos, and is willing to time-travel through millennia to get one.
PennyThe tritagonist. Penny is Crazy Dave's car (a pickup truck / recreational vehicle), that was converted into a robotic time machine. Introduced in Plants vs. Zombies 2, taking Dave and the protagonist through the past and future.
- Computer Voice: Penny is apparently speaking English (via her text bubbles), though her voice sounds like electronic beeping.
- Cool Car: She's a highly intelligent talking car that can bypass the boundaries of time and space. Hardly can get cooler than that.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has several moments of this towards Crazy Dave, such as:Crazy Dave: Is this Last Stand?
Penny: No, this is First Sit. It was sarcasm.
- Put on a Bus: She appears in Garden Warfare 2, but doesn't talk.
- The Smart Girl: She does most of the exposition in the second game.
- Straight Woman: Despite being created by him, she is usually the one who talks common sense into Dave, and tries to calm him down whenever he's acting up.
- Time Machine: Penny brings both Dave and the PC through different timelines, such as: Ancient Egypt, the Wild West, the Far Future, the Dark Ages, etc.