open/close all folders
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul."
The wordy, intellectual, and cynical half of the Penny Arcade
duo, when the characters of Gabe and Tycho first diverged Tycho was something of the Straight Man
to Gabe's more wild enthusiasm. However, he quickly developed into a character as strange if not stranger
. Tycho is known for his love of literature and wordplay, his overwritten fantasy series Epic Legends of the Hierarchs: The Elemenstor Saga, his *ahem* love of animals, and his deep knowledge of horrors that man was not meant to know
- Author Avatar: For Jerry Holkins, but was not originally intended as such.
- Badass: Facing Jim, an undead skeleton necromancer in "Armadeaddon," Tycho goes, "I'll handle this." Pulling out his red d20, he says, "Roll for initiative." He gets a "natural 20"—this gets Jim to Know When to Fold 'Em (and realize someone who can roll natural 20s can only ensure he'd beat Jim's scenario).
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fetish: Has expressed attraction to numerous things: giraffes, jellyfish, and whatever's at ColdTurkeys.com. More specifically, he's said he's attracted to long, slender necks, of the sort you can't usually find on humans.
- Flat Earth Atheist: A noted atheist... despite the fact that Jesus plays Mario Kart with Gabe regularly.
- Guest Fighter: One of the opposing players in Poker Night at the Inventory.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood
- Humanoid Abomination: Maybe, maybe not. He seems to enjoy cultivating that appearance, and his eyes subtly glow red when he's particularly angry, not to mention his infamously disturbing speech in "I Hope You Like Text"... This may or may not be caused by demonic possesion if an early strip from 1999 is to be belived.
- Killer Game Master: Attempting to impart his wisdom onto Gabe, nonetheless.
- Though it turns out he hasn't actually run a game since junior high because of his Killer Game Master reputation.
- Lie Back and Think of England: Tycho describes his coupling as "dutiful" and "terrified".
- Named After Somebody Famous: Tycho Brahe was also a 16th century Danish astronomer.
- Nightmare Fetishist: He longs for the day when games include Starfish Aliens and Eldritch Abominations as romance options. We're not told "what" his heart's desire is... just that acquiring it would be enough to damn Jesus to hell.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes turn red when he gets really angry. Its implied in an early strip that he may have brought something back with him from the dream world after having two consecutive nightmares about hell.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Frequent. In the Penny Arcade card game, there is an attack of his that deals damage based on the number of letters in a given card.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot
- Sophisticated as Hell: Especially apparent in The Rant.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Not exactly, but as Red Eyes, Take Warning shows, there is probably something REALLY dark inside him
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Very susceptible to this. To a point he'll even go mad playing a homemade RPG created by Gabe's eight-year-old son.
Johnathan "Gabe" Gabriel
"I don’t know why they call them “Chip Clips.” I mean, everyone just puts ‘em on their wang. Why don’t they just call them “Wang Clips” or “Wang Hangers” or something?"
The idealistic, immature, and scatterbrained half of the duo, Gabe's enthusiasm and inability to think things through makes him the perfect Wise Guy to Tycho's straight man, though these roles are often reversed as he possesses a degree of common sense that Tycho lacks. Obsessed with immature humor, male genitalia (mostly his own), and Star Wars
, he harbors homosexual tendencies, not so much repressed as simply unrealized and usually centering around Spider-Man
. He is independently wealthy from his Doctor Raven Darktalon Blood series.
Anne Claire "Annarchy" Brahe
Tycho's young niece who shares her uncle's intellect and love of gaming, but only a little
of his depravity. Despite her age, she played Final Fantasy
on the Famicom... in the original Japanese. Is not to be trifled with.
The Fruit Fucker 2000
A small robotic juicer that works by having violent sexual intercourse with pieces of fruit.
Yeah, that one
. In addition to being the Lord and Savior of Mankind, he loves fighting games, first person shooters, and is, in general, way cool
Originally known as Chuck, an anti-Apple strawman, he had a great fall and was retooled as the hipper Charles. Lives across from Gabe and Tycho and occasionally visits to talk about Apple-based matters.