open/close all folders
The Paranormal Mystery Squad
Tropes that The Paranormal Mystery Squad have in common:
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Squad Consists of a Goth, Werewolf, Wiccan and Dhampyr and they have a Bat as the Team Pet
- Five-Man Band
- Monster Mash
- Ms. Fanservice: Stephanie, Charlotte and Katie (this last after a taunt by Lita) take their turns with this role doing "nerd burlesque" as JC puts it.
- Expressive Accessory: Her hairpin was a gift from Layla Delacroix. It reflects her thinking, at times "winking" as well.
- Jerkass: She is always so quick to point out someones flaws.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Very rarely comes up. But she does try to keep innocents out of the crossfire and looks out for her teammates if nothing else.
- Mercy Kill: How She views slaying monsters that were born human. She initially plans to do this with her sister, but is talked down by JC and Charlotte.
- Ms. Fanservice: She channels Samus Aran in an effort to help break the hold the Vampire Cheerleaders have over Leonard. And she rubs her bosom in his face to weaken him further.
- She Who Fights Monsters: Her hatred of cryptids has some unfortunate levels.
- Van Helsing Hate Crime: She who believes all cryptids are evil roughly stemming what happened to her parents. Things gets complicated when her sister is turned into a werewolf and the newest member of their team is revealed to be a Dhampyr.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: In just about every outfit.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: All but outright stated to be what She was doing here.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Emergency Transformation: Somewhat, she gets infected with lycanthropy but Charlotte manages to use a spell so she doesn't become a mindless creature.
- Idiot Hair: She has one sticking up in the back. Reflects her tendancy to act without thinking.
- The Load: Initially in the first chapter, as she didn't have as much combat experience as Steph or Charlotte and mostly just carried around equipment. Steph insisted on bringing her on the cryptid hunts anyway. The second big case of which she wound up wandering off and getting bitten by a werewolf. After she herself became a werewolf, she put her new monster strength to good use.
- Ms. Fanservice: She channels Slave Leia to aid the others after Lita taunts her. JC does a Double Face Palm when he sees Katie. But it seems to have worked as he "responds to her" doing a hula in that outfit in that outfit more than the others.
- Near-Rape Experience: What Theodore tried to do to her twice, with his father's encouragement.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. Katie seems to delight and using her teenaged PMS as an excuse to ignore diplomacy (and propriety).
- When Charlotte opens her purse for smelling salts and out come lots of tampons, Katie snarks "Heavy flow month?" Stephanie tells her "It's the whole team's supply, you dingbat!" before giving her a fist upside the head.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Adorkable: Usually when she's fumbling spells or referencing some old show
- Cute Wiccan
- Ms. Fanservice: Channels Vanille of Final Fantasy XIII before summoning Sexy Shiva, Mighty Isis and Ominous Oya, the last who seems a Shout-Out to the late-80's Storm.
- She's Got Legs: Does she ever!
- The One Guy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Black eyes due to the B&W style of the comic but same thing.
- Sixth Ranger: Joins up in the first volume on behalf of PETM. Second volume he's quit the organization to work with PMS full time.
- Though the third sees he's rejoined with PETM but still prefers to work with the group.
- Bat out of Hell
- Evil Detecting Bat: When Lita made her way to PMS's hotel room in the second volume, it started screeching.
- Big Bad: of Volume Two
- Defeat Means Friendship: In her case its more like defeat means bonded
- Demonic Possession: The body she has isn't her real one (in fact its the corpse of a recently deceased woman), her true form is a black mist.
- Fun Size: Pfft...
- Horned Humanoid
- Our Demons Are Different
- Our Ghosts Are Different: She somehow bonded to Katie after her defeat and now stuck as a spirit haunting the group.
- Seventh Ranger: Unwillingly
- The Vamp
- Winged Humanoid
Tropes that PETM have in common:
- Artificial Limbs: Marcy wears high-tech prosthetic legs. Steph speculates they have something to do with her pro-cryptid sympathies but J.C. can't confirm it
- Foe Yay: with Steph. This is just Steph's assumption of course, nothing's been confirmed.
- Lawful Stupid: Is more concerned about an "innocent cryptid" than the thousands of people said cryptid's actions are going to put at risk.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: With some overlap of Too Dumb to Live - seeing as she contacted offices in Washington to confirm that K'AAN'NGUA is protected by the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Effectively making it impossible for the military to do anything to stop it. You know, despite the fact that it will probably kill everyone.
- Straight Gay: Was a surprise to them too but J.C. confirms it.
Mr. LomaxAssociated tropes:
Tropes that Cryptids have in common:
- Always Chaotic Evil: Least that's what Stephanie thinks. Time will tell if this'll get subverted.
- Big Bad Each major story arc had a Cryptid as a Big Bad
- Monster of the Week
Deer WomanAssociated tropes:
Mr. CampbellAssociated tropes:
Theodore CampbellAssociated tropes:
The Moth MenAssociated tropes:
K'AAN'NGUA/The Great OneAssociated tropes:
Sea MonsterAssociated tropes:
General BriggsAssociated tropes:
- Four-Star Badass: Apparently ready to lead an attack on K'aan'ngua from the front lines. His moment of glory gets stolen by O'Keefe when she gets the President to order him to retreat. He gets even by having the PMS team cleared of their community service much to O'Keefe's chagrin.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is put in charge the incident in Volume 2 comes off sympathetic to the PMS crew, and most definately does not like O'Keefe's presence and interfeerence.
- The Brigadier: Fits to a tee.