open/close all folders
- All-Loving Hero: Bower is selflessly brave as he tries to save as many people he can and doesn't want to leave people behind to die. Though he does becomes apathetic at one point in the film.
- Always Save the Girl: Bower seems to value the life of his wife more than anything else and hopes to find her before the Hunters do.
- Arm Cannon: His main weapon.
- Badass: You wouldn't think so at first by he has his moments.
- Break the Cutie: Bower is a boy-scout who slowly loses his sanity through out the film.
- Claustrophobia: Suffers from it, as shown from his panic attacks when trapped in hypersleep and when he gets stuck when traveling through vents.
- Despair Event Horizon: When he founds out that all his love ones are dead he almost gives up on saving the ship.
Bower: There's nothing left! Its gone! There's nothing left to go back to...
- Face Your Fears: Bower is a claustrophobe, but being on a ship with cramped corridors and tight vents, he doesn't have much of an option but to face down his phobia.
- Especially towards the end where Gallo tries to drive him insane by exploiting this fear. He opens up the control room window revealing nothing but pitch black. Bower has another panic attack due to there seemly being no escape now and is closed in by the creatures.
Gallo: Let go of your fear!
- Happy Flashback: Has one about his childhood where he watches TV with his parents when Tanis is discovered and being inspired by the idea of sending people there.
- He does remember his wife, Evalon, mouthing the words "I love you". Also flashes back to moments with him holding her hand.
- The Heart: Bower acts as this to Nadia and Leland. Wanting everyone to stop fighting each other and start supporting each other.
Bower: I know it's felt like every man for himself. But a little fucking solidarity goes a long way.
- The Idealist: Bower is a boy-scout as Payton calls him. He believes there will always be law and solidarity goes a long way.
- Loser Protagonist: He enlisted on the mission because there was nothing left for him on Earth.
- Made of Iron: He continually gets damaged and wounded but powers through.
- Ontological Mystery: He remembers his training and mundane details, but not much in the way of his past.
- Running Gag: He falls A LOT through out the film.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse: He was in cryo-sleep while everything aboard the ship was going to pot.
- Super Wrist Gadget: His Arm Cannon.
- Stun Gun: What his arm cannon operates as. However, like any real riot-control weapon, it can be very dangerous if used up close.
- Tragic Hero: Turns out that the woman he remembers isn't his wife but his ex and she stayed on Earth. After the divorce he had nothing left and enlisted on the flight to found a place in history. He obviously still loves her as he had kept a photo of the woman. Worse is that Earth mysteriously vanished, meaning that she did as well.
Played By: Dennis Quaid
Played By: Cam Gigandet
- Ax-Crazy: Gallo becomes increasingly unhinged and violent.
Played By: Antje Traue
- Workaholic: Her motive for enlisting on the mission was that it didn't feel right handing off the genetic samples of earth's biosphere she worked seven years to get. So she volunteered to go along with it and still protects it when the ship goes to hell.
- Unreliable Expositor: Nadia thinks that the creatures are crew/passengers who have transformed, but that just doesn't add up considering.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Stops Mahn from doing this to a hunter child, thinking its human at first.
Played By: Cung Le
- Character Death: His throat is slashed by the child of the Hunter-Leader.
- Determinator: Every time the hunters corner him he tries to put up a fight even though he is physically out match.
- Minored In Ass Kicking: Mahn is an agricultural worker who also just happens to be a martial arts expert, both with and without weapons (played by professional fighter Cung Le).
- Moral Dilemma: He becomes conflicted with killing a Hunter child.
- Only Sane Man: Mahn is the only selfless person Bower meets on his journey to the reactor.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has a quick fight with Nadia as well.
Played By: Eddie Rouse
- Character Death: Gallo kills him with a syringe.
- Despair Speech: He has a very pessimistic view of the situation. No rescue since Earth is gone and they lost control of the ship. So there is nothing left to live for other then go by survival instinct.
Leland: I wouldn't have survived this long if I had a heart. You know, a strange thing, the survival instinct. I mean, there's nothing really left to live for.
- Dirty Coward: Leland is very quick to abandon others.
- Doesn't Trust Those Guys:
Leland: You don't survive this long trusting strangers.
- Eye Scream: How he meets his end. Gallo shoots a syringe into his eye.
- Faux Affably Evil: Behaves very considerate and helpful at first.
- I'm a Humanitarian: He has no choice other than a little bit of algae to make herbs with.
- It's All About Me: His schtick.
- Mr. Exposition: He's the one to explain some of the mysteries of the ship.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Tries to be funny and friendly...at first.
- Survivor Guilt: Leland feels ashamed by what he has done to survive and doesn't want to be judged for it.
- The Social Darwinist: Says that he wouldn't survive this long if he had a heart.
Leland: Its just survival of the fittest...or maybe the brightest.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Leland does this to Bower when he gives up on saving the ship.
Played By: André Hennicke
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Since the Hunters value strength and are known to eat each other, you only get to be the leader by being the smartest, most badass hunter of them all.
- Badass: Even for a Hunter, he's the toughest and smartest of them all.
- Big Bad: The leader of the Hunters. Subverted ultimately. Gallo is the Big Bad.
- Character Death: Mahn kills him in one-on-one combat.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Hunters are a cannibal clan, after all.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Mahn to be one, giving him a weapon for their fight.
Played By: Dennis Quaid & Cam Gigandet
- Affably Evil: Gallo is very likable when he thinks he's Payton.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Payton goes from a helpful professional and Mission Control to an Ax-Crazy Big Bad after he remembers he's Gallo.
- Ax-Crazy: Gallo suffered from pandorum after the transmission from Earth, and went completely insane. He slaughtered his crewmates and claimed himself to be King of the ship for an unspecified length of time.
- Big Bad: Everything going wrong on the ship is due to Gallo: the power loss, the abandonment of the original mission...he even created the Hunters.
- Crazy Survivalist: Gallo is fixated on survival of the fittest, and set himself up as the King of his new world after catching the Space Madness.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Is this to some degree.
This ship is a seed which we can create a new world! Raw! Natural state! Beautiful! Perfect!
- God Is Dead: This is Gallo's claim and his justification.
- Manipulative Bastard: Gallo managed to influence an entire culture through his insane rantings and control of the ship.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Gallo rants about how the aspects of human civilization such as law, order, morality are petty concepts which led to overpopulation. That they should create a new world to replace humanity with the ship in a natural state, which is an obvious reference to the tribal Hunters.
- Motive Rant: He gets a downright impressive rant during the climax.
"You have to let go of your petty concept of reality. That's just baggage from the old world and we both know that didn't work out very well now, did it? They fucked up our planet. Life eats life. And all that's left is what is."
- Order Versus Chaos: The battle between Payton and Gallo, sanity and insanity, the person he once was and the person he became.
- Satanic Archetype: Who Gallo seems to be a metaphor of based on his negative views of God and morality. Also, there is Leland's statement.
Leland: He was both God and the Devil!
- The Social Darwinist: Gallo believes that literal dog eat dog tactics would prevent overpopulation from happening again.
- Space Madness: What drove him crazy was the onset of pandorum.
- Villainous Breakdown: Gallo is constantly having one, his erratic behaviour making him jump from rant to rant.