aka: Pandora Inactive Canons
open/close all folders
Blood and Chocolate
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
A Clockwork Orange
The Dresden Files
- Abusive Parents: In Harry's case, his foster parent.
- Bad Dreams: He has nightmares frequently.
- Beneath the Mask: Wizards have their soulgaze where they can see who a person really is.
- Big Brother Instinct: I think Harry and Thomas both have this.
- Black and White Morality: Though slightly skewed when his mantle comes into play.
- Catch Phrase: "Hells bells!" and "Stars and stones!"
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: The Red King, He Who Walks Behind, He Who Walks Before
- Hand Blast: He doesn't need his staff or blasting rod to kick ass.
- Heroic Fatigue: Happens fairly often.
- Hurting Hero: In many ways.
Dunk and Egg
- Dragon Rider: or, at least, he hopes to be.
The Elder Scrolls
- Blue and Orange Morality: It's been straight up stated that the 'good' Aedra and 'evil' Daedra are only known that way because of the mortals limited grasp of the Princes' own moral systems.
- Casting a Shadow: She can use the shadows to travel anywhere that isn't warded against that sort of thing.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As the Night Mistress and a Daedric Prince, she's usually assumed to be more evil than good but it's not really true. She rarely sways in the direction of either good or evil. May also qualify as Chaotic Neutral.
- Demoted Deity: Pandora's really taken the kick out of her powers.
- I Have Many Names: Or Titles in this case. 'Night Mistress', 'Mistress of Shadows', 'Mistress of Mystery', 'The Unknowable', 'Daughter of Twilight', 'Empress of Murk', 'Lady Luck', 'Patron of Thieves', and 'The Saint of Suspicion'.
- Meaningful Name: Her alias 'Nium At' means 'Elder God' in High Elven. She chose it specifically because of the meaning.
- Only One Name: Her real name is simply 'Nocturnal'.
- Pals with Jesus: Not her but she is restarting the Nightingales.
- Phantom Thief: Steals things and breaks the laws of physics.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: A Daedric Prince with no actual gender. Presents as female because a) her true form would drive mortals insane, b) Pandora has demoted her significantly, and c) mortals are easily confused so picking a form and sticking with it is easiest.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Her Agents receive no training. When they accept the contract they are given new powers and it's up to them to figure out how to use them. If they fail they die.
- The Sacred Darkness: People might not like Nocturnal and may feel uncomfortable about the Prince who embodies shadows and mystery and all of the unknown things but those who decry her outright forget one important thing; She is also the Prince of luck.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Nocturnal's favour is about as tricky to catch hold of as an eel. Many people try to earn her favour in the hopes of gaining a boon from her and so never receive it. People who excel in their own right without only doing so to gain her favour, and especially people who never even try to earn her favour, are the ones most likely to gain it. Self-sufficiency and standing on ones own feet are incredibly important to her.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: As the embodiment of Enigma, anyone who looks upon her true form goes completely insane.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's kind and caring and a healer through and through...until someone proves themselves to be a threat. There's a reason her Esper is an attack Esper and not a healing one.
- Bi the Way: She's bisexual, with a preference for women, as she has a lot of trust issues about men.
- Break the Cutie: After the Rebellion and Lemures, she's much less cheerful.
- Combat Medic: While she'll primarily fill the healer role in a fight, that doesn't mean she's not dangerous in her own right.
- Combat Pragmatist: Ties in with Glass Cannon. She can't afford to not be this.
- Dance Battler: Her Quickenings specifically.
- Glass Cannon: Largely due to her summon. Otherwise she would be a Squishy Wizard.
- Good Is Not Soft: Rarely attacks someone who doesn't deserve it. But if you do deserve it...
- Hope Springs Eternal: Maintains an optimistic outlook. It's just hidden behind layers of cynicism.
- Little Miss Badass: Tiny, blonde, cute, took on an Empire and won.
- Little Miss Snarker: Less so lately due to her status as a Broken Cutie. Still snarks when she feels like it.
- Miles to Go Before I Sleep: She's not quite a Death Seeker yet but she's certainly heading that way. Even so, she's unlikely to succumb to it while she feels there's still people who need her.
- Red Mage: Makes an excellent healer. Also knows far too many variants of poison/drain to be a White Mage any more.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: In full force after a visit from Pinhead. She has PTSD and suffers from hyper-awareness. Occasionally displays the Thousand Yard Stare.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Comes across as an easy target but assaulted a census bearer for daring to ask her to swear loyalty to a queen.
- Sky Pirate: Rings a bit hollow in a world without skyships but she still lives in a crashed one and steals things.
- Summon Magic: She can summon the Esper Cuchulainn to aid her.
- Team Chef: As of Lemures her cooking is no longer lethal.
- Team Mom: Less so since the orphans of Rabanastre aren't in Pandora.
- Used To Be More Social: She's gone from a relatively cheerful, talkative girl, to a noticeably more browbeaten and quiet one. She now explicitly avoids unnecessary social meetings and tends to shy away from people.
Game of Thrones
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
- Ax-Crazy: He gives a different reason as to why he kills people just about every day, but it's seldom actually a good one, generally amounting to 'I lost control', 'I felt like it', or 'they were kinda sorta just as bad as I was'.
- Badass Normal: Hasn't died yet and can wield just about any weapon.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Makes a point not to speak while he's killing. Well, mostly.
- Blood Knight: Only gets into the fights for the glory of it.
- Chaotic Neutral: Bounces between this and True Neutral.
- Combat Pragmatist: Chooses whatever is most convenient, improvised weapons included.
- Doesn't Like Guns: He doesn't mind using them, but he finds them rather dull.
- Malevolent Masked Men: Well, man. Literally wears animal masks to conceal his identity.
- No Name Given: Technically even 'Jacket' is a fan nickname.
- Pinball Protagonist: No longer a 'protagonist' as such, but the principle remains in that all his major character development has been caused by the actions of others.
- The Stoic: Depends on the circumstances. Generally uses the mask to hide his expressions, and therefore the catharsis of emotion that comes into his killing.
How to Train Your Dragon
The Hunger Games
League of Legends
Legend of the Seeker
Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Or, being experimented on by Nazi Scientists makes you really, really hate people.
- Big Brother Instinct: Oddly enough with Grace.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Charles' brains (though Erik is quite intelligent himself).
- Death Seeker: has shades of this.
- Ho Yay: With Charles of course. Exaggerated compared to the film, probably something to do with the player.
- Morality Chain: Charles serves as this.
- Not So Different: Is at the point in his life where he could easily jump off the slippery slope into He Who Fights Monsters territory.
- Transparent Closet: Everyone can see it, but Erik is so far in the closet he's in Narnia.
Victor Von Doom
- Almighty Janitor - Because Arthur certainly does not give him the credit he deserves!
- Perfectly Cromulent Word - "Clot-pole, Dollop-head, Cabbage-head."
- Supernatural Gold Eyes - Only when Merlin is using his magic.
- Always Save the Girl: Save the guy, in this case.
- Berserk Button: Hurt someone she cares about. Go on, do it. See what happens.
The Mortal Instruments
Once Upon a Time
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pillars of the Earth
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Rise of the Guardians
Darquesse [Given her own section because she's gotten loose in Pandora]
- Apocalypse Maiden: Believed to be the person destined to bring about some kind of apocalypse in her own world.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Frequently gets distracted from her victim of the day by just about anything she deems more interesting.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: While necromancers in the SP verse aren't strictly evil, Darquesse definitely is.
- Blood-Splattered Warrior: Torture and murder are not tidy hobbies.
- Casting a Shadow: Necromancy, again.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Actually enjoys it when people are able to best her. Less so if it looks like they can kill her. Not a sexual thing, it's more her finding the experience interesting and informative.
- Creepy Child: Technically only four years old, she likes torture, murder, and long bouts of destruction.
- Dark Is Evil: She's a necromancer and is known as the Death Bringer for a reason.
- Healing Factor: Even with her powers dampened by Pandora, Darquesse can still take a lot of damage.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Averted. She's expected to be this but finds people 'too funny' to actually meet those expectations.
- Woman in Black: She's decided to keep Val's trademark black outfit because it's protection against bullets/projectiles etc. Contrary to Val, Darquesse actually is evil so this is in full force.
- Action Girl: Val is the last person to sit around and wait to get rescued. She treats situations where people try to make her the Damsel in Distress as nothing short of annoying.
- Action Hero: When being a Guile Hero just isn't enough. Or when someone just really needs a punch.
- Casting a Shadow: She's a necromancer, it kind of comes with the turf.
- Combat Pragmatist: In combat Val's more likely to go through someone instead of around them. She'll try to avoid killing anyone but other than that it's open game.
- Cool Loser: Has all of the personality components of a cool kid but none of the popularity.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's one of the nice necromancers, if you don't include Darquesse.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her main method of communication is a dose of mildly exasperated sarcasm.
- Defense Mechanism Super Power: Darquesse is only unleashed upon Valkyrie almost being killed.
- Determinator: Val's a circumstantial Determinator. When all evidence points to her not being able to get out of Pandora until Pandora lets her go she shrugs and rolls with it. When her best friend gets trapped in an alternate dimension full of evil Mad Gods and everyone else has pretty much given up on bringing him back she finds a way into the alternate dimension and drags him home herself. There are some things that she's just not fussed about enough to bother fighting over and some things she'd tear the sky apart to solve. It all depends on the stakes.
- Elemental Powers: She's primarily an Elemental, a sorcerer who uses elemental magic. She usually uses fire attacks but has been known to fly into her own apartment instead of taking the stairs.
- Enforced Cold War: If she kills Darquesse Val will die too, since they have the same body.
- Friendship Moment: An increasing number with Darquesse since arriving in Pandora, to the point where they've even been almost nice to each other. Val's not sure what to make of the whole thing.
- Guile Hero: Preferred method of operating.
- Little Miss Badass: She was surprisingly competent at twelve, if outmatched by the fact that everyone else had centuries of magic training. Now, after only eight years of magic training, she's damn good at holding her own. She also has the advantage of being, and looking, eighteen. People tend to underestimate teenage girls and she's smart enough to work that like nobody's business.
- Name of Cain: Literally.
- Necromancy: The friendly kind.
- Private Detective: She took up her old job as a P.I. pretty much immediately upon her arrival.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Darquesse
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Forced to do this with Darquesse several times, given that any teamwork between the two usually means that Val will die if she doesn't allow the other to help.
- Woman in Black: Averted. She's a woman who dresses in all black, with leather, most of the time but she's not evil.
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Fai D. Flourite
Wheel of Time
The World Ends With You
Yoshiya "Joshua" Kiryu
- Camp Gay - Ambiguously Gay as per canon, but since his sexuality is explicitly stated in his application, it's not so ambiguous anymore.
- Improbable Weapon User - His cell phone. It's totally magic.