aka: Pandora H-M
open/close all folders
A Clockwork Orange
A Song Of Ice And Fire
Gerold 'Darkstar' Dayne
Attack on Titan
Avatar: The Legend of Korra
- Almighty Janitor - Because Arthur certainly does not give him the credit he deserves!
- Perfectly Cromulent Word - "Clot-pole, Dollop-head, Cabbage-head."
- Supernatural Gold Eyes - Only when Merlin is using his magic.
Dr. John Watson
BBC The Musketeers
Beauty and the Beast
Big Hero 6
Blood and Chocolate
Euphemia li Britannia
Lelouch vi Britannia
The Deathgate Cycle
Devil Survivor 2
Dragonriders of Pern
The Dresden Files
- Abusive Parents: In Harry's case, his foster parent.
- Bad Dreams: He has nightmares frequently.
- Beneath the Mask: Wizards have their soulgaze where they can see who a person really is.
- Big Brother Instinct: I think Harry and Thomas both have this.
- Black and White Morality: Though slightly skewed when his mantle comes into play.
- Catch Phrase: "Hells bells!" and "Stars and stones!"
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: The Red King, He Who Walks Behind, He Who Walks Before
- Hand Blast: He doesn't need his staff or blasting rod to kick ass.
- Heroic Fatigue: Happens fairly often.
- Hurting Hero: In many ways.
The Elder Scrolls
- Blue and Orange Morality: It's been straight up stated that the 'good' Aedra and 'evil' Daedra are only known that way because of the mortals limited grasp of the Princes' own moral systems.
- Casting a Shadow: She can use the shadows to travel anywhere that isn't warded against that sort of thing.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As the Night Mistress and a Daedric Prince, she's usually assumed to be more evil than good but it's not really true. She rarely sways in the direction of either good or evil. May also qualify as Chaotic Neutral.
- Demoted Deity: Pandora's really taken the kick out of her powers.
- I Have Many Names: Or Titles in this case. 'Night Mistress', 'Mistress of Shadows', 'Mistress of Mystery', 'The Unknowable', 'Daughter of Twilight', 'Empress of Murk', 'Lady Luck', 'Patron of Thieves', and 'The Saint of Suspicion'.
- Meaningful Name: Her alias 'Nium At' means 'Elder God' in High Elven. She chose it specifically because of the meaning.
- Only One Name: Her real name is simply 'Nocturnal'.
- Pals with Jesus: Not her but she is restarting the Nightingales.
- Phantom Thief: Steals things and breaks the laws of physics.
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: A Daedric Prince with no actual gender. Presents as female because a) her true form would drive mortals insane, b) Pandora has demoted her significantly, and c) mortals are easily confused so picking a form and sticking with it is easiest.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Her Agents receive no training. When they accept the contract they are given new powers and it's up to them to figure out how to use them. If they fail they die.
- The Sacred Darkness: People might not like Nocturnal and may feel uncomfortable about the Prince who embodies shadows and mystery and all of the unknown things but those who decry her outright forget one important thing; She is also the Prince of luck.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Nocturnal's favour is about as tricky to catch hold of as an eel. Many people try to earn her favour in the hopes of gaining a boon from her and so never receive it. People who excel in their own right without only doing so to gain her favour, and especially people who never even try to earn her favour, are the ones most likely to gain it. Self-sufficiency and standing on ones own feet are incredibly important to her.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: As the embodiment of Enigma, anyone who looks upon her true form goes completely insane.
Oerba Yun Fang
Lucy Mc Kenzie
Bedelia Du Maurier
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Hunger Games
In the Flesh
- Anti-Hero - A Disney Anti-Hero, with heroic goals (kill the Nazis) and a pragmatic streak a mile wide. While she's not going to go around sacrificing civilians to meet her goals, she's justifiably grumpy and distrustful.
- Broken Bird - All the more so since she entered Pandora just before her plan kicked off.
- Dark and Troubled Past - A Jewish woman living in Nazi occupied France, her family was killed by Nazis while hiding beneath the floor of a neighbours house.
- Hidden Badass - While she seems defenceless, she's more than happy to prove you wrong.
- Lady in Red - Arrived in her red dress from Goebel's première.
- Sole Survivor - Of the event where her family was killed.
Katekyo Hitman REBORN!
Kill la Kill
Kingsman: The Secret Service
League of Legends
Legend of the Seeker
The Legend of Zelda
The Little Mermaid
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Or, being experimented on by Nazi Scientists makes you really, really hate people.
- Big Brother Instinct: Oddly enough with Grace.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brawn to Charles' brains (though Erik is quite intelligent himself).
- Death Seeker: has shades of this.
- Morality Chain: Charles serves as this.
- Not So Different: Is at the point in his life where he could easily jump off the slippery slope into He Who Fights Monsters territory.
- Transparent Closet: Everyone can see it, but Erik is so far in the closet he's in Narnia.
James "Bucky" Barnes
Victor Von Doom
Cmdr. Alice Shepard
The Maze Runner
The Mercy Thompson Series
- Always Save the Girl: Save the guy, in this case.
- Berserk Button: Hurt someone she cares about. Go on, do it. See what happens.
The Mortal Instruments
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
No One Lives
Notre-Dame de Paris
Once Upon a Time
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Person of Interest
The Phantom of the Opera
Pillars of the Earth
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Rise of the Guardians
Rose of the Prophet
Shakugan no Shana
- Action Girl: Val is the last person to sit around and wait to get rescued. She treats situations where people try to make her the Damsel in Distress as nothing short of annoying.
- Action Hero: When being a Guile Hero just isn't enough. Or when someone just really needs a punch.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Her alter-ego, Darquesse, is believed to be the person destined to bring about some kind of apocalypse in her own world.
- Casting a Shadow: She's a necromancer, it kind of comes with the turf.
- Combat Pragmatist: In combat Val's more likely to go through someone instead of around them. She'll try to avoid killing anyone but other than that it's open game.
- Cool Loser: Has all of the personality components of a cool kid but none of the popularity.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She's one of the nice necromancers, if you don't include Darquesse.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her main method of communication is a dose of mildly exasperated sarcasm.
- Defense Mechanism Super Power: Darquesse is only unleashed upon Valkyrie almost being killed.
- Determinator: Val's a circumstantial Determinator. When all evidence points to her not being able to get out of Pandora until Pandora lets her go she shrugs and rolls with it. When her best friend gets trapped in an alternate dimension full of evil Mad Gods and everyone else has pretty much given up on bringing him back she finds a way into the alternate dimension and drags him home herself. There are some things that she's just not fussed about enough to bother fighting over and some things she'd tear the sky apart to solve. It all depends on the stakes.
- Elemental Powers: She's primarily an Elemental, a sorcerer who uses elemental magic. She usually uses fire attacks but has been known to fly into her own apartment instead of taking the stairs.
- Enforced Cold War: If she kills Darquesse Val will die too, since they have the same body.
- Friendship Moment: An increasing number with Darquesse since arriving in Pandora, to the point where they've even been almost nice to each other. Val's not sure what to make of the whole thing.
- Guile Hero: Preferred method of operating.
- Little Miss Badass: She was surprisingly competent at twelve, if outmatched by the fact that everyone else had centuries of magic training. Now, after only eight years of magic training, she's damn good at holding her own. She also has the advantage of being, and looking, eighteen. People tend to underestimate teenage girls and she's smart enough to work that like nobody's business.
- Name of Cain: Literally.
- Necromancy: The friendly kind.
- Private Detective: She took up her old job as a P.I. pretty much immediately upon her arrival.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Darquesse
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Forced to do this with Darquesse several times, given that any teamwork between the two usually means that Val will die if she doesn't allow the other to help.
- Woman in Black: Averted. She's a woman who dresses in all black, with leather, most of the time but she's not evil.
James T. Kirk
Leonard Mc Coy
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Dr Henry Jekyll
Sword Art Online
Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles
Haldir of Lorien
The Unicorn Series
The Vampire Diaries
- Blessed with Suck: What else do you call it when, by your very existence, you are doomed to live a life of trying to survive various supernatural beings who will inevitably come after you for your inherently magical blood?
- Break the Cutie: And how. From systematically losing not one, not two, but six parental figures (most of whose deaths she blames on herself), to having to watch people she loves get hurt and killed for her, to dying herself, twice, it's a wonder she hasn't snapped completely.
- Doppelgänger: Elena is the latest in a long line of Petrova doppelgangers—and until her recent death and transformation, she was the last remaining human doppelganger.
- Fatal Flaw: Her willingness to give herself up to the bad guys/die if it would save someone she loves could definitely be considered this. (And it killed her, so...)
- Guile Hero: To a frickin' 'T'. Elena has the cunning and resourcefulness to manipulate the villains if she needs to. (She stabbed herself in the stomach once to get Elijah to agree to her terms.)
- Took a Level in Badass: When she became a vampire.
The Walking Dead
Warhammer 40, 000
Welcome to Night Vale
Wheel of Time
The World Ends With You
Yoshiya "Joshua" Kiryu
- Camp Gay - Ambiguously Gay as per canon, but since his sexuality is explicitly stated in his application, it's not so ambiguous anymore.
- Improbable Weapon User - His cell phone. It's totally magic.