Characters: PaRappa the Rapper
open/close all folders
Introduced in PaRappa the Rapper
PaRappaThe main character in both ''PaRappa'' games, as well as an unlockable one in UmJammer Lammy. He's a beanie-wearing dog and a skilled rapper, which ends up being very useful for many non-rapping tasks in the series.
- Catchphrase: "I gotta believe!"
- Determinator: There's a reason his motto's "I gotta believe!". Once he puts his mind to something, he will accomplish it. That is, unless the player manages to foul up.
- Does Not Like Spam: Thanks to being given a year's supply of noodles before the events of PaRappa 2, he quickly grows sick of them, to the point of having nightmares about them. It's a major reason why he's against Colonel Noodles (who happens to love he stuff to the point of trying to turn every food into it).
- Funny Animal
- Nice Hat: His beanie.
- Official Couple: With Sunny.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Survival Mantra: Once again, "I gotta believe!"
PJ BerriPaRappa's bear friend. He's a DJ with a huge appetite and a calm personality.
- Beary Funny
- Big Damn Heroes: In Stage 7 of PaRappa 2, he bursts through the wall with his DJ set a ways into the song, ready to support PaRappa in the rap battle with Colonel Noodles.
- Big Eater: Seriously, he thinks about food a lot.
- Bunny Ears DJ
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For being such a lazy, food-obsessed bear, he's a pretty good DJ.
- Comically Missing the Point:PaRappa: Wait, wait, wait, that doesn't sound like Rock'n Roll!
PJ: Cuz you played it funny. Now it's my turn.
- Sexier Alter Ego: In the anime, while he normally is somewhat insensitive and a dullard, when on the job he's downright suave.
- Sleepyhead: He's entirely capable of falling asleep at any moment, since his job requires to stay up all night frequently.
Katy KatPaRappa's cat friend. She's also the bassist and vocalist for MilkCan, Lammy's band.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: A blue cat with yellow hair.
- Foil: Her upbeat attitude is contrasted by Lammy's depressed nature.
- : She is the tutorial guide in the first game.
- Nice Girl
- The Leader: Of MilkCan, despite being the bassist, she is also the vocalist. Indeed, she's the only one who seems actually enthusiastic about performing.
Sunny FunnyOne of PaRappa's friends, a flower-person whom PaRappa happens to have a crush on. She's his major motivation for the entire series.
- Nice Girl
- Official Couple: With PaRappa.
- Plant Person: She's a walking, talking flower.
- Satellite Love Interest
- Sunny Sunflower Disposition
Joe ChinA stuck-up dog, and PaRappa's rival for Sunny's affections.
- The Ace
- Always Someone Better: Is this to PaRappa.
- Demoted to Extra: In everything after the first game.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: He's pretty aptly named.
- Motor Mouth: Once he starts making one of his speeches, he really doesn't know when to quit.
- Rich Bitch: Well, to PaRappa, at least...
Papa PaRappaPaRappa's dad, and the only one of his parents that is seen.
- Ascended Extra: He was only important in the third stage of the first game. He becomes a major help in the sequel with his development of the De-Noodlizer.
- Gadgeteer Genius: In the sequel.
General PotterSunny's dad, a military commander.
- Ascended Extra: He gets no lines in the first game, pretty much being there to intimidate PaRappa. He's much more important in the second game.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Not that nasty, but it still applies when he's commanding his troops.
- Plant Person: In this case, he has a plant pot for a head.
- Sweet Tooth: To the point that, when destroying the Noodle Tanks in 2, he claims that sweets are the most superior kind of food, mirroring the exact kind of obsession with noodles and burgers that started the plot of 2 in the first place.
Chop Chop Master OnionA karate master with an onion as a head. He teaches PaRappa his skills in the first stage of the game. He returns in the later games as well; as a singer (in a dream) and sort-of mental adviser to Lammy in UmJammer Lammy, and as a TV show host in 2.
- Anthropomorphic Food: Downplayed, since only his head is an onion.
- Asian Speekee Engrish: Chop Chop Master Onion talks like this even in rap sequences. Justified in that his voice actor, Ryu Watabe, is Asian.
- Badass Mustache
- Calling Your Attacks: His method of rap. Kick! Punch! Chop! Block!
- Old Master
- Once an Episode: he gets a song in every game, and each one repeats his classic Kick! Punch! lines.
- Plant Person: He has an onion for a head.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: Somehow between the first game and UmJammer Lammy, he lost his dojo and became what looks to be a hobo. Then between UmJammer Lammy and 2, he now runs a television show about romantic dances.
Instructor MooseliniA moose driving teacher. She helps PaRappa gain his driver's liscene in Stage 2 of the first game.
- Animal Gender Bender: She has antlers.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Looks the part, but is relatively nice for someone who came from a family of them. At least, if you're doing well.
- Perpetual Frowner: Doesn't smile even if you're doing well.
Prince FleaswallowA frog that runs a flea market. The teacher of Stage 3, where he helps PaRappa pay for his dad's car, which he ended up destroying very quickly.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He's clearly more malicious than he lets on.
- Con Man: His methods don't seem very trustworthy ("This skunk over here will bring you luck"), but they're effective enough for PaRappa to pay off the old car and get a new, even fancier one.
- Frogs and Toads: He's an anthropomorphic frog.
- Just Got Out of Jail: He states that he's on the run at one point in his song.
Cheap Cheap the Cooking ChickenA chicken who runs her own cooking show. The teacher of Stage 4, where PaRappa watches her so he can make a seafood cake for Sunny's birthday (having lost the one he bought thanks to Joe Chin).
- Carnivore Confusion: One main ingredient in her seafood cake is chicken eggs. Probably unfertilized, but the implications are still there.
- Clucking Funny
- Feather Fingers: She doesn't have any trouble holding things with her wings.
- The Television Talks Back: Somehow, she can tell how well PaRappa's rapping through the television. Probably because she's actually only a few feet away from him.
MC King Kong MushiA bug who hosts the Club Fun. Appears in the finale of both PaRappa games.
Introduced in UmJammer Lammy
LammyThe main character of UmJammer Lammy, and a recurring one in PaRappa 2. She's the guitarist of MilkCan, an all-girls band. The events of her game revolve around her race to get to her concert in time.
- Adorkable: Has a moment of this in the intro cinematic of Stage 5, when she apparently forgets for a minute that she's looking for a guitar, not a car.Lammy: Yeah, uhmmm, I'm looking for, for a guitar.Paul Chuck: What kind?Lammy: Well, umm...a cool one, with awesome sound and has reclining seats, power-steering, and dual airbags—Paul Chuck: I don't have time for jokers.Lammy: Oh, no, nononono... (embarrassed blush) Sorry.
- Balloon Belly: Briefly happens to her after Stage 2 in her game. Unfortunately, "briefly" is enough time for her to get dragged into the mall by Cathy Piller.
- Butt Monkey: In her game, she oversleeps on the day of a major concert, has to put out a fire on a building, gets puked on by a caterpillar, is forced to put babies to sleep by said caterpillar, has to pilot a broken plane thanks to a confused pilot, leaves her guitar on the plane and has to help a woodsman make a new one, and dies/gets catapulted and ends up in Hell/an island and has to perform there to get to her own concert. This is all in the span of fifteen minutes.
- Cosmic Plaything: Might as well count as this.
- Cartoon Creature: Can you honestly say she◊ looks anything like a lamb?
- Catchphrase: "Leave it to Lammy!"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Without her guitar: a shy, constantly panicking Butt Monkey. With her guitar (or anything that she can substitute for it): a confident musician and skilled at whatever task she has to perform.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: It's safe to say people find her cute, but throughout her story in UJL, she goes through quite a lot, mostly on account of accidentally ending up in situations that are not a part of her band's schedule and are in fact a part of Chop Chop Master Onion's dream prophecy.
- Darker and Edgier: Her songs are noticeably more intense than PaRappa's, and her game deals with darker concepts such as death.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Her dream in the first level of her game basically roadmaps the rest of the plot according to what Chop Chop Master Onion is singing.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: After stocking up on too much pizza from Chief Puddle, this happens to her.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: According to Rodney Greenblat, she was modeled after Australian singer Natalie Imbruglia.
- Red-Headed Heroine: With orange fleece to match!
- Shrinking Violet: She is very shy, and blushes a lot. However, if she has her guitar...
- Socially-Awkward Hero
- The Southpaw
- Tareme Eyes
Ma-sanA mouse-creature that serves as the drummer for MilkCan.
- All Drummers Are Animals: Literally.
- Brutal Honesty: Completely agrees with Lammy when Lammy laments her lack of strength.
- Cast Herd: She never appears without Lammy and Katy.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She uses quite a bit of force on a bug for just buzzing near her.
- The Unintelligible: Doesn't speak in anything more than noises.
- Intelligible Unintelligible; Other characters hear her just fine, and anything that needs to be heard is translated in subtitles.
Chief PuddleA dalmatian who works as a fire department. Serves as the teacher for Stage 2, since the fire he's dealing with is right in the way of Lammy's path to her concert.
Cathy PillerA caterpillar who works at a daycare of sorts at a mall. After letting Lammy in the mall due to assuming she's pregnant, she gets her help in putting the babies to sleep. The teacher of Stage 3, but not the singer; that's done by the baby she's holding.
- Catch Phrase: "Now put these kids to sleep, will ya?". It's said constantly during her song.
- Larynx Dissonance: She has a very deep, distorted voice. At least we don't have to hear her sing in it.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: We get to see that pink, oozing puke she spits in all its glory. Poor, poor Lammy.
Captain FussenpepperA plane pilot who pilots the plane to where Lammy's concert is. Due to being constantly struck of the head by a circuit panel (which also switches his personality with very hit), he requires Lammy's help in flying the plane. The teacher of Stage 4.
- Cranial Eruption: In cutscenes, he gets one whenever the loose circuit board hits his head.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: One of his personalities.
- False Teeth Tomfoolery: He has a pair of false teeth, which he gives to Lammy after his stage if over.
- Split Personality: He switches personalities whenever he gets hit on the head, either being an angry commander or a bumbling old man. This happens during his song as well.
Paul ChuckA woodsman whom Lammy goes to in order to get a new guitar. The price; Lammy has to help him chop wood for it. The teacher of Stage 5.
Teriyaki YokoAn idol who is singing at a concert in Hell/a tropical island. Due to her guitarist having a resemblance to Lammy, Lammy has to perform with her in Stage 6 in order to get back to her own concert.
- Idol Singer
- Instrument of Murder: She threatens to kill Lammy with her own guitar in the European/Japanese versions. Lammy points out how empty of a threat it is, since she's already dead.
RammyAnother guitarist with an odd resemblance to Lammy. She was supposed to perform at Teriyaki Yoko's concert, and vows to get revenge on Lammy for taking her place. This sets up the multiplayer mode's plot, where she's the second player's character.
Introduced in PaRappa The Rapper 2
Boxy BoyA boombox that serves as the tutorial giver of PaRappa 2.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A talking boombox.
- Catchphrase: "C'mon PaRappa, relax!"
- Non-Standard Character Design: The only character in the series to not be a Paper Person, instead being three-dimensional.
Beard Burger MasterThe founder of Beard Burgers, a restaurant home to the best burgers in town. Has died before the story began, but when his son fails to keep making burgers, he comes back as ghost to teach PaRappa how to do it. The teacher of Stage 1.
- Badass Beard: It's a pretty big one.
- Bald of Awesome: Comes with being an old man.
- Follow in My Footsteps: He wants his son to manage the business after he dies, but that didn't go so well. Mainly because he effectively ruined his son's life with burgers.
- Old Master
- Spirit Advisor: He returns to his restaurant so that he can help PaRappa makes his burgers.
Guru AntA calm and collected (most of the time) ant, who, in a rarity for this series, is actually the size of a real-life ant. He's the teacher of Stage 3, where he helps PaRappa and his gang get back to their normal size.
- A God Am I: One of his lines in his rap is literally "I am your Lord."
- Bad Liar: He's always calm. Every when he's several thousand times his normal height. Nope, you didn't see him freak out, you must have been imagining it.
- Nerves of Steel: He's extremely calm, probably the calmest character in the entire series. Well, at least at his normal size...
- Nervous Wreck: When he's not in his standard environment, such as being many times larger than normal, he becomes this.
- Old Master
- Strong Ants: Is seen holding a coin that's roughly as large as him.
Instructor MooseshaA moose trainer for the recruits of General Potter's army. She is the teacher of Stage 4, where she trains PaRappa to take on Colonel Noodles.
- Animal Gender Bender: Like her sister, she also has antlers.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She's one, and she comes from a family of them. She does have a softer side, though.
- Legacy Character: She's the replacement for the absent Instructor Mooselini. She even indirectly states they're sisters by quoting her "boom boom boom" line.
- Training Montage: She puts PaRappa through this.
Hairdresser OctopusA octopus barber who's well known for his skill. However, thanks to a device made by Colonel Noodles, he's become obsessed with giving everyone afros that can grow to massive sizes. The teacher of Stage 5, where he promises to restore everyone's hairdo's if PaRappa proves his skill as a barber.
- Affably Evil: Other than his obsession with afros, he's pretty nice while under mind control, and is even willing to undo the haircuts if PaRappa does well, which he does do in the end.
- Always Camp: His occupation as a hairdresser emphasizes his camp-iness.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: That obsession with afros came from Colonel Noodles' speaker device, likely because he has an afro himself.
- Camp Gay: He's pretty effeminate and flamboyant, is a hairdresser, and he's been confirmed as gay by Greenblat.
- Chatty Hairdresser: He talks a lot while treating his customers.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Oddly, despite being an octopus, his tentacles are not arms; they're his hair.
- Runs with Scissors: He's not too careful with those giant shears he's holding in both hands. Then again, he's under mind control, so safety is probably not his primary concern.
- Funny Afro: He gave one to nearly everyone in town while brainwashed. In an Imagine Spot, he gives one to a character without (conventional) hair.
Colonel NoodlesA mysterious man, with the plan to turn all the world's food into noodles, forcing everyone to eat noodles only. This is because he's the Beard Burger Master's son, who has been forced to eat burgers for his entire life, and wants to get revenge by doing that to everyone else.
- Big Bad: Of PaRappa 2.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: He steals PaRappa's "I gotta believe!" in the cutscene before his stage begins.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Oh, that minor son of the Beard Burger Master won't be important at all...
- Cool Shades: He wears them. They fall off as he starts to realize how much of a jerk he's been.
- Does Not Like Spam: Has a hatred for burgers thanks to his dad making him eat them his entire life.
- Evil Counterpart: To PaRappa, possibly. Both are about the same size, hate a certain time of food thanks to overexposure, have fathers involved in science to a degree, have Missing Moms in some way, and are skilled at rapping.
- Freudian Excuse: His father, the Beard Burger Master, unintentionally ruined his son's life by feeding him burgers for his entire life and causing his mother to turn into one.
- Funny Afro: Pretty much makes it clear that he's the Beard Burger Master's son.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Gee, I don't know, noodles?