The characters of the light novel, manga, and anime series Okami-San
The title character. Ryoko is a steadfast and serious young woman, a member of the Otogi Bank, and our resident tsundere. She often works alongside Ringo. She is quick to deny her slowly reciprocating feelings for Ryoshi.
Fairy Tales: "Little Red Riding Hood
"; "The Wolf and the Seven Kids
"; "The Three Little Pigs
"; "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", The Wolf
- Action Girl
- A-Cup Angst
- Animal Motifs: The wolf.
- Badass Adorable: The best fighter in the Otogi bank and possibly the best one in the series.
- Battle Couple: With Ryoshi.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Machiko's Betty.
- Boxing Battler: Her fighting style.
- Broken Bird
- Bruiser with a Soft Center
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Cassandra Truth: In her backstory, nobody believed her when she said that Shiro tried to rape her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: While she vehemently denies this, Ryoko falls into this trope in Episode 12 when Machiko starts to make her moves on Ryoshi.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Bruiser: The trope image.
- Cute Little Fangs: Occasionally visible when she grinds her teeth in anger.
- Cuteness Proximity
- Dark and Troubled Past: Hinted at Episode 2, confirmed in Episode 5 — Attempted Rape.
- Death Glare: If the narrator even mentions Ryoko's and Ringo's poor fanservice... EH? ... erm, never mind... Also, Ryoko's default expression.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She eventually warms up to Ryoshi.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Ryoko tends to beat up Ryoshi a lot, as well as other men who usually deserve their beating.
- Easy Amnesia: In Episode 7.
- Everybody Knew Already: Her love of romance novels. Ringo knows all about how she hides them behind another row of books and disguises herself to visit the bookstore in the next town to buy them, and casually mentions this fact to Ryoshi because she thinks it's cute.
- Everyone Can See It: Her relationship with Ryoshi.
- Expy: She looks very similar and shares many character traits with Taiga Aisaka from Toradora!.
- Godiva Hair: In the shower scene.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Inverted with Ryoshi.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: In regards to Ryoshi.
- The Heroine/The Lancer: Trades with Ryoshi, depending on the episode.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ringo.
- Honor Before Reason
- Idiot Hair: Has one of these in the manga.
- Jerkass Fašade: Subverted; the harder she tries to be mean and nasty, the nicer and cuter she becomes.
- Kind Hearted Dog Lover
- Love Epiphany: In Episode 10, she dreams of kissing Ryoshi and, naturally, acts stranger than normal around him the rest of the week because she can't really deny her feelings any more (at least not to herself; everyone else is still fair game).
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Masculine Girl to Ryoshi's Feminine Boy.
- Meaningful Name: Her name can translate to "Traveling Wolf".
- Modesty Shorts: Though her skirt is rather long in the front and back, the sides are split up to the hip, giving a slight view of her shorts.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Subverted. Despite her boxer training and apparent strength, Ryoko had a really hard time fighting the more muscular gang leader of Episode 2 (which lead to a bit of a downgrade), even with her upgraded boxing gloves that had a taser function.
- Ore Onna: Uses completely masculine Japanese vocabulary in her speech. Except when she is asleep; during which she uses very gentle and feminine syntax.
- Power Fist
- Rapunzel Hair
- She's Got Legs
- Shrinking Violet: Before the Attempted Rape.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Despite the fact that she initially denies seeking any man at all.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside
- Tsundere: An aggressive Type A and lampshaded constantly. She calls Ryoshi an idiot and hetare, or "good-for-nothing", usually punches him and denies that she likes him. She's completely unable to be honest with herself.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Waif-Fu: Zig-zagged, despite her strength, Ryoko often finds herself in over her head, which sets up Ryoshi to help her out.
I am... a hunter! The one who catches her will be me...!
Ryoshi is a shy student who harbors a crush on Ryoko and has scopophobia, a fear of having people look at him. He is pulled into joining the Otogi Bank, but joins willingly in order to stay by Ryoko's side.
Fairy Tale: "Little Red Riding Hood
", The Hunter
Someone just thought of something evil for the enemies of the Otogi bank.
Ringo is Ryoko's partner and roommate. Don't let her cutesy appearance fool you — when push comes to shove, Ringo can be fairly dangerous when she wants to be.
Fairy Tales: "Little Red Riding Hood
", Little Red Riding Hood; "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
", Poison Red Apple; Rose Red; possibly the story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit, with her as the fruit.
Of course we can help you. But you will owe us.
The president of the Otogi Bank. He often doesn't do work and instead his cousin Alice does it for him.
Fairy Tale: "The Ant and the Grasshopper", The Grasshopper
Liszt's cousin and secretary. She often does Liszt's work for him.
Fairy Tale: "The Ant and the Grasshopper", The Ant
A maid working in the Otogi Bank who has a fetish for people who want to return the favor and repay other people who have been kind to them.
Fairy Tale: "The Grateful Crane"
A handsome ladies' man who is solely interested in women and has no interest in men. He is found in the company of his girlfriend Otohime, and what the two are often up to... is left to the imagination as to what they are doing.
Fairy Tale: "Urashima Taro", same name as hero
Otohime is a bishoujo who has eyes only for her boyfriend Taro. She is found in the company of Taro, and what the two are often up to... is left to the imagination as to what they are doing.
Fairy Tales: "Urashima Taro", same name as heroine; "The Tortoise and the Hare", the Tortoise
Majolica le Fay
Violet eyes to die for!
A wacky inventor who is often in the company of Otsuu.
Fairy Tale: King Arthur
, Morgan le Fay
Otohime's chief rival for Urashima.
Fairy Tale: "The Tortoise and the Hare", The Hare
Head of the Disciplinary Committee, notable for her ample bosom.
Fairy Tale: "Momotaro"
Ryoshi's aunt and landlady, a romantic novel writer going by the pen name of Yuki. Ryoko is (not-so-secretly
) a huge fan of her work.
Fairy Tale: "The Snow Woman"
- Christmas Cake: Subversion, since this trope is for unmarried women. But Yukime makes enough of a deal of her age to make it clear she's referencing this trope.
Onigashima's student council president who has a history with Ryoko. One of the few people who she's actually afraid of.
Fairy Tale: "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", "The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" ("hitsuji" means "sheep"
- Attempted Rape
- Big Bad
- Blatant Lies: He tells Ryoshi that he "helped himself to Ryoko", but moments later says that was a lie. Considering what we learn from her side of the story, though, it was pretty close to the truth.
- Faux Affably Evil: When speaking to Lizst, he's surprisingly polite and genial. Of course, this just makes him that much creepier.
- For the Evulz: There's no specific reason for what he does other than he likes causing despair... and he certainly does, the bastard.
- Hijacked by Ganon: The thugs who kidnap Ryoko and drag her to a warehouse originally worked for a guy named Hakuba in the manga; he doesn't appear in the anime, so Shiro fills the role of their boss instead.
- Lack of Empathy
- Minor Injury Over Reaction: When Ryoshi finally manages to punch him in the face and draw First Blood, he absolutely flips.
- Purple Eyes
- Shame If Something Happened: He threatens Shirayuki's seven younger siblings in this manner, which really upsets Ringo.
- Slasher Smile
- Student Council President
- White Hair, Black Heart
- Would Hurt a Child
Aragami Ranpu aka Lamp
The principal of Otogi Academy
Fairy Tale: "Aladdin
", the Djinni
Ringo's half sister. She has seven younger siblings that she lives with.
Fairy Tale: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
", Snow White
A senior. She is very shy and tends to stalk her boyfriend Jin as a result.
Fairy Tale: "Kasajizou", Jizou
A third-year at Otogi described by the narrator as a "Pretty Boy". He was saved years ago by a girl, Ryoko
, but he ran away. He was so ashamed that he trained himself into a skilled fighter. He passed some of his knowledge along to Ryoshi Morino.
Fairy Tale: "Puss in Boots
A girl who comes from a very poor family. She tried to marry Ryoshi thinking he was rich and could get her out her serious debt.
Fairy Tale: "The Little Match Girl
The narrator of the story.