open/close all folders
Jim Powell (Michael Chiklis)A police sketch artist, and patriarch of the Powell family. Was just a normal man with a dysfunctional family, until he suggested a trip to Brazil... and the rest, as they say, is history. Currently moonlights as a vigilante.
- Achilles' Heel: Jim isn't completely invulnerable. So far the only thing strong enough to actually hurt him is a high caliber bullet fired from close range. Jim tries to block bullets with his hands rather than his head as a result. On the other hand, his bullet-catching habits means he also tends to block everything with his hands, even force waves and electrical bolts from other supers. Fortunately, these he can stop just as well as he can bullets.
- Bald of Awesome
- Berserk Button: Never accuse Jim of cheating on his wife. EVER.
- Combat Pragmatist: Jim seems to be turning into this.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: For the first few episodes, though he gets better at it.
- Happily Married
- I Just Want to Be Special
- In a Single Bound
- Jumped at the Call
- Kryptonite Factor: Cinoxate, a chemical found in most sunscreens and Stephanie's lipstick.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Except at close range.
- Papa Wolf
- Personality Powers: Jim previously had to carry the weight of his family on his shoulders; he now has Super Strength.
- Super Strength
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Stephanie.
Stephanie Powell (Julie Benz)
- Big Eater: A side effect of her powers.
- Blessed with Suck: Stephanie, after a close shave with death, was injected with the serum, which augmented her super speed to the point of allowing her to travel through time. A nasty side-effect of this, however, is that her chromosomes are beginning to decay. As of the same episode she seems to have no control over this, meaning she is effectively cut off from using her powers AT ALL. Of course it resolves itself by the end of the episode.
- Calling the Old Man Out: After her parents literally invited themselves over and proceeded to be generally condescending to everyone.
- Healing Factor: Though, from what we've seen so far, she only heals faster, not better, which is unusual for this trope. Basically, she won't be regrowing limbs.
- Missing Mom: Formerly; her Super Speed now gives her more time to spend with her children.
- Personality Powers: Stephanie's work formerly kept her too busy to spend time with her family. Now, with her Super Speed, she can do both.
- Time Travel: As of "No Ordinary Future." Though she can't control it that well.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: With Jim.
- Would Hit a Girl
Daphne Powell (Kay Panabaker)
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Was this before gaining her powers. Due to her Laser-Guided Amnesia, she regresses to this, full force.
- Until the next episode, at least.
- Compelling Voice: Daphne develops this power, which she uses to influence decisions.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Though she seems to have grown out of this.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The Watcher wipes her memory of the last three months at the end of "No Ordinary Sidekick."
- Jedi Mind Trick: As of "No Ordinary Double Standard" when she used it to save herself and Chris from a mugger. Then she used it on her own father... Sure, it was just to get out of trouble (and maybe as a test), but this may be Foreshadowing a budding super-villain.
- Lampshaded by Daphne in "No Ordinary Love."
- Personality Powers: Daphne is constantly worrying about what people think of her and her boyfriend; now she can read minds.
- Student Council President: Since "No Ordinary Friends." Also places her on the 'Peer Disciplinary Committee.'
Jim Junior "J.J." Powell (Jimmy Bennett)
- Awesome by Analysis: While he doesn't always retain what he's learned, he can always do this on the spot.
- The Danza
- Ditzy Genius
- Eidetic Memory: Though it only lasts about six hours unless he spends the time to actually learn and retain the material through study.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Sure, Jim has Super Strength, Daphne has mind-reading and Compelling Voice, and Stephanie can run fast. But JJ's power is definitely the most versatile. He's learned a language in half a day, identified a species of bacteria without a microscope and solved a ten-year murder case. Not to mention being immune to mind-affecting abilities if he thinks about it hard enough. Furthermore, his ability to see physics itself has proven rather useful; he's no slouch in a fistfight because of it.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Played straight during the first episode when the others exhibited superpowers and he was still the ordinary kid with the learning disability. Inverted for the next several episodes when he hides his powers so that he can pretend to be working hard in school so that his parents will be proud of him (he thinks they won't be proud of him if he's relying on his powers to succeed).
- Improbable Aiming Skills: A result of his Super Intelligence. He uses it to play football. He ultimately uses it to take down Dr. King.
- Instant Trigonometry: One of the many benefits of his powers.
- Personality Powers: J.J.'s inferiority complex stemmed from the fact that he had a learning disability. Now, his powers have made him a super-genius.
- Precocious Crush: Develops one on Katie.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Tends to use this.
- Super Intelligence
- Weaksauce Weakness: His powers short out when he gets preoccupied with his girlfriend Natalie.
George St. Cloud (Romany Malco)
- Black Best Friend
- The Casanova
- Genre Savvy
- Mission Control
- Muggle Best Friend: Maybe not anymore.
- Secret Keeper
- Token Minority
Katie Andrews (Autumn Reeser)
- Ascended Fangirl
- Brainy Brunette
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Cloudcuckoo Lander
- Ditzy Genius
- Hollywood Dateless
- Hollywood Nerd
- Hot Scientist
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy
- Morality Pet
- Muggle Best Friend: To Stephanie.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Her actress' pregnancy was written into Katie's storyline.
- Secret Keeper
"Joshua"/The Watcher (Josh Stewart)
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Becoming the Mask: Has rejected Dr. King's employment in favor of a life with Katie.
- Brought Down to Normal
- Combo Platter Powers: He's shown telekinesis as his main hat, but has also demonstrated a psychic shield, manipulation of internal organs, and memory manipulation.
- So far it looks like he got a mentalist package: Projective telepathy (the other kids at poker night), psychic shields and telekinesis, which also covers manipulation of internal organs.
- The Dragon: To Dr. King, until he quit.
- Fan Nickname: His real name has yet to be revealed (well, unless it really is Joshua...). If it ever will be...
- Heel–Face Turn: Though even then, as of recently, he's apparently 'offered' his services to the Powells as they go to him to get rid of Victoria's body. Thus doing for them similar things as what he did for King.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: He has not told Dr. King that Jim has powers. Thus far, his stated reason is because he wants to know why Jim and family have permanent powers rather than temporary. Especially since his powers are of the latter variety; he requires injections to keep his.
- Hitman with a Heart: He wants out.
- In Love with the Mark:
- Line-of-Sight Name: Where he gets his second alias.
- Mind over Matter
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Bringing Victoria to Mrs. X to be revived is likely what drew Mrs. X's attention to the Powell situation.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: All instances of Nightmare Fuel on the main page are attributed to him.
- The Power of Love: His love for Katie inspired his Heel–Face Turn.
- Psychic Powers
- Put on a Bus: Literally; he was last seen riding a bus into the distance. He returns in the finale.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Posed as Katie's boyfriend
WillJoshua in order to get closer to the Powells.
Detective Frank Cordero (Guillermo Díaz)
- Dropped a Bridge on Him/Bus Crash: He hadn't been seen in a while and, when he is killed off, he was about to transfer to another precinct.
- Jerkass: Though he became much politer to Jim after the latter saved Cordero's life.
Detective Yvonne Cho (Christina Chang)
Dr. Francis Chiles (Reggie Lee)
Mr. Litchfield (Jason Antoon)
- Asshole Victim
- Jerkass: Actually called J.J. "stupid" to his face, and blackmailed J.J. into joining the Academic Decathlon team so Natalie's scholarship wouldn't be yanked. He was being paid by Dr. King to do this.
- Killed Off for Real: And There Was Much Rejoicing.
- The Mole
- Sadist Teacher: Has been shown to be ruthless regarding the students in general, and J.J. in particular.
- Smug Snake
Dr. Dayton King (Stephen Collins)
- Affably Evil: Acts very friendly toward allies, enemies, and everyone in general.
- All Your Powers Combined: His second trylcettum injection gives him Jim's, Stephanie's and Daphne's powers along with his own.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Bad Boss: Aside from the whole superpowers thing, he had Dr. Chiles, one of his best employees, fired and killed in order to cover his tracks, and attempted to kill Katie in order to keep Watcher working for him.
- Big Bad
- Body Horror: Dies from twenty years of cancer eating his body up at once.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: To Jim, after his second trylcettum injection.
- Eye Scream: Courtesy of J.J.
- Go for the Eye
- Healing Factor
- Love Makes You Crazy And Evil
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Attempted to get rid of Jim, but ultimately fails.
- The Unfettered
- Wham Line: "Good luck trying to kill a man that can't die."
Victoria Morrow/Amelia Hammond (Rebecca Mader)
- Back from the Dead
- The Dragon: To Dr. King, after Watcher's resignation.
- Love Makes You Evil: Most of her actions are out of love for Joshua.
- Mean Brit
- This Was Her True Form
- Unexplained Recovery: After being seemingly killed by Jim.
Helen Burton (Lucy Lawless)
- Bad Boss: Implies that she would have killed Dr. King had he not surprised her with the news that he may be able to make the trylcettum injections permanent.
- Big Bad: Now that Dr. King is out of the way.
- Fan Nickname: Mrs. X.
- Hot Scientist
- Woman Behind The Man: Is Dr. King's immediate superior.
- War for Fun and Profit: Her motivation.
Rebecca Jessup (Rachel Miner)
Theo Patton (Alex Solowitz)
- Badass Longcoat
- Disney Villain Death
- Personality Powers: A serial arsonist with Pyrokinesis.
- Playing with Fire
- Pyro Maniac