Commonwealth of Australia and New Zealand (ANZC/Australia, New Zealand, Tuvalu, Hawaii)
- The Alliance: It started off as a very close alliance between the current leading nations.
- The Commonwealth of Nations: They've pretty much inherited what's left of it outside of New Britain and the Celtic Alliance.
- Eagleland: The American exiles, though it wouldn't be until the early 1990s that they would officially integrate themselves wholesale into Commonwealth society.
- The Federation
- Land Down Under
- Space-Filling Empire: To a degree, as its reach extends across the Pacific to as far as Hawaii. They're also one of the closest things to a superpower in the post-Doomsday world.
- Spiritual Successor: They also like to see themselves as the successor to both the British Commonwealth and to a degree the USA.
- Those Who've Come Across the Seas: Considerably more so as a result of refugees (from Asia and the former United States in particular) arriving en masse.
Union of Sovereign Socialist Republics (USSR/Socialist Siberia)
- Commie Land: The most dominant one in any case.
- Bilingual Bonus: The influx of Chinese refugees and the integration of Manchuria into the USSR has resulted in Mandarin being a second official language alongside Russian.
- Dirty Communists: Negative portrayals of the country tend to fall here. The Soviet connection to Doomsday does not help at all.
- The Federation
- Insistent Terminology: It is not the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
- Moscow Centre: Yes, the Siberians kept the KGB. Along with Pravda.
- Name's the Same: It's still officially called by the USSR/CCCP acronym.
- Reds with Rockets: They still have a formidable arsenal on hand.
- The Remnant: It's formed from what remained of the Soviet Union that survived Doomsday.
- Soviet Russia, Ukraine, and So On: An evolution of sorts, with Russia (or what's left of it) forming the basis of it.
Empire of Japan
- The Empire: In name only.
- Left for Dead: The world largely thought the Japanese were long dead...until the Siberians showed up on their doorstep.
- Regent for Life: Until 2011, the country had been formally under a "Provisional Regency" led by relatives of the Imperial Family.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Japan has rather sour relations with the American survivor-nations, seeing them as tied to what they still see as a betrayal by their so-called ally in Doomsday.
Taiwanese Republic of China (Taiwan)
- Spiritual Successor: To a degree, the Taiwanese see themselves as both a legitimate Chinese body and for a time, the PROC's successor.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Taiwan's managed to grow decidedly more powerful in the wake of Doomsday.
Republic of the French Southern Territories (French Polynesia, New Caledonia)
- Government in Exile: It's the driving force behind the "Seventh Republic" movement and is seeking to live up to becoming the legitimate representative of France...despite not actually having any territory in the former homeland.
- Legion of Lost Souls: The Foreign Legion (the ones in the area in any rate) are pretty much the base of its army.
- The Remnant: The government tends to see itself as this to France.
- Vestigial Empire: It was formed from whatever was left of the French government overseas.
Kingdom of Tonga
The Celtic Alliance
- The Alliance: Started out as one.
- Big Good: Tries to be this at least for the British survivors.
- The Federation: Evolved into this, with Ireland (and to a degree Scotland) being the dominant face of the Alliance.
- Glasgow: The other major center of the Alliance.
- The Republic
- Oireland: The CA's capital is in Dublin.
- Scotireland: Increasingly. Part of its policy is to gradually replace English with the Gaelic languages as the official lingua franca.
- Spiritual Successor: To the United Kingdom. Though not everyone takes it all that well.
- The Troubles: Doomsday finally put an end to it once and for all, with Northern Ireland brought peacefully back into the fold.
- The Alliance
- The Federation: Played with, with the Nordics functioning like a closely knit EU instead of a single country.
- The Kingdom: With the exception of Finland and Iceland, most of the founding Scandinavian nations are monarchies.
- Norse by Norsewest: Although their influence reaches also into the Baltics and what were formerly West Germany and European Russia.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The survival, involvement and popularity of Norway, Sweden and Denmark's monarchs were part of the reason why Scandinavia didn't implode after Doomsday.
Alpine Confederation (Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein)
- The Alliance: Crossed with The Federation, with the three "Statelets" having the most significant influence.
- It's shown however that Liechtenstein and the various constituent states/cantons from Austria and Switzerland have actual representation in the Confederation Government. Although the ruling Council is appointed proportionally to each Statelet.
- Cadre of Foreign Bodyguards: The Alpine Guard, a modified version of the pre-Doomsday Swiss Guard (whose ranks now extend to any Confederation citizen meeting its criteria) that's been serving The Pope since the Vatican restored ties with the Alps.
- Crazy-Prepared: Part of the reason why the Alpines were able to weather the initial post-Doomsday years.
- Hegemonic Empire: The Alpines themselves continue to uphold Swiss-style neutrality and would rather let their network of allies and neighboring survivor-communities do the actual fighting. On the other hand, it's shown that they do have a powerful military on standby "just in case."
- The Kingdom: Liechtenstein, which is not only still a Principality but has also become the center of the Confederation. With Vaduz as the official Alpine capital.
- Old Shame: Their actions in the immediate years after Doomsday may count.
- Yodel Land: A predominant perception of the Alpines, due in no small part to the Swiss and Liechtensteiner countryside largely spared from the chaos of Doomsday.
Interim Government of the Portuguese Islands (Portugal)
- The Determinator
- Due to the Dead: The Portuguese turn the ruins of Lisbon into a memorial site, seeing it as a rather painful reminder of all that they've lost.
- Vestigial Empire: Claims all of pre-Doomsday Portugal, although it at best controls a handful of coastal outposts and frontiers. At one point, Brazil (its former colony) even offered to incorporate it. Despite that, it's also described as a major European power and one of the more powerful factions in the post-apocalyptic Iberian peninsula.
Sicilian Republic (Sicily/Southern Italy)
- The Empire: In their corner of Europe at any rate.
- Fascist Italy: The Sicilians contain shades of Mussolini's old regime.
- Fighting for a Homeland: The official justification for their military adventure in what's left of Italy. Didn't exactly turn out well for them.
- The Remnant
- The Mafia: Sicilian society and politics are very much dominated by them.
- Wretched Hive: A popular perception of Sicily, especially due to the aforementioned Mafia connections.
Kingdom of Prussia
- Berlin: The country's capital, having escaped destruction during Doomsday.
- East Germany: Forged from the surviving parts of it anyway.
- The Empire: Due to the war against the Poles.
- Fighting for a Homeland: Prussia's justification for "liberating" Pomerania from the Poles.
- Imperial Germany: It's attempting to recapture some of that.
- Rightful King Returns: The Hohenzollerns. Somewhat subverted in that the first king of the restored country grew rather off-kilter.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The remaining members of the Hohenzollern line were instrumental in keeping the other survivors together after Doomsday.
- Vestigial Empire: Somewhat, although it's grown more powerful with time.
Kingdom of Monaco
- The Kingdom: "Principality" just didn't cut it anymore.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: It's one of the more powerful countries in what used to be France, and still remarkably wealthy to boot.
- Took a Level in Badass: Following Doomsday, it's grown to include the French and Italian Riviera as well as expand northward towards the Alpine Confederation.
Duchy of Orleans (Central France)
- Ill Boy: Due to the Duchy's proximity to former Paris, many people still suffer from radiation sickness.
- The Determinator: Orleans was one of the few places in the French wastelands to actually survive.
- The Kingdom: Technically, it's still a Duchy. On the other hand, it's mentioned that the Duke is deliberately holding off the "Kingdom" bit until the day France is restored.
- Rightful King Returns: Many Orleanais see their Duke as this, himself coming from the liberal Orleans branch of the old monarchy. This is further helped in part by all his efforts to restore order.
- Spanner in the Works: The existence of Orleans and its ruler has effectively revived the old royalist question, complicating earlier hopes of building a Seventh Republic.
South American Confederation
- Cozy Catastrophe: Subverted. Few if any nuclear weapons hit Latin America, but the resulting fallout and chaos did make life difficult for a while.
- The Federation: One of the leading global players in the post-Doomsday landscape.
Federative Republic of Brazil (Brazil)
- The Pope: The Vatican relocated to Brazil (mostly around Rio de Janeiro) after the destruction of Rome. Although it would be years before a new pope would actually be proclaimed.
Canadian Remainder Provinces (Canada)
- Canada, Eh?: More played straight here than in Victoria.
- Canadian Politics: As a result of the survivors' composition and influxes of refugees, French (especially Quebecois) and First Nations Canadians have a more significant influence.
- The Remnant: The country has shrunk considerably, with its capital moved to St. Johns, Newfoundland after the destruction of Ottawa.
- Vestigial Empire: Subverted. Despite controlling only a part of its former territory, Canada is still considered a major power on the continent if not internationally.
North American Union
- The Alliance: A somewhat loose one.
- Expy: It's essentially a post-apocalyptic take on the European Union.
- Government in Exile: A group of survivors from parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan have proclaimed themselves the legitimate government of Canada...which makes their relationship to the one based from St. Johns a bit complicated.
- Injun Country: The Navaho and Lakota established their own survivor-nations, which have considerable influence within the NAU.
- Man Behind the Man: It's suspected that Mormon higher-ups had since formed a shadow government behind the secular authorities in Deseret. Most locals however don't mind.
- Utah: The Commonwealth of Deseret is one of its more recent (and prominent) members.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Its constituent members don't always get along, but they still find solace in each other.
(Formerly Provisional) United States of America
- Eagleland: They rival the Republic of Superior in terms of emphasizing just how American they are.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Downplayed. But no one really expected that what had been scattered American communities would become a rising power, let alone that there was even a restored USA at all.
- Insistent Terminology: It's not "Provisional" anymore.
- Manifest Destiny: They hope to reunite the myriad Survivor-Nations back under the Stars-and-Stripes.
- Patriotic Fervor: Their desire to rebuild America. They're also one of the main benefactors behind the "American Spring."
- The Remnant: Sees itself as this to the pre-Doomsday USA.
- Scavenger World: A large proportion of the country was formed from scattered survivor communities and by beating back warlords.
- Vestigial Republic: Played with. The "new" Americans claim all of the old Continental US, though the government initially held only on a handful of states, including those made out of outlying survivor communities. But with its growing clout and (relatively) peaceful expansion, they may not be "Vestigial" for too long.
Municipal States of the Pacific
- The Other Rainforest: Most of it is around the Pacific Northwest and includes bits of northern California.
- Scavenger World: Initially, anyway.
Republic of Superior (Michigan)
- Culture Chop Suey: Apparently the result of the different cultural and ethnic groups reasserting their ancestral nationalities.
- Eagleland: It makes a lot of effort in emulating the old United States, even building a copy of the White House. Though ironically enough, there's a rivalry of sorts with the actual successor to the old USA.
Victoria (British Columbia)
- Canada, Eh?: Averted.
- Cozy Catastrophe: Not truly cozy, as it still had the normal issues following Doomsday, but the fact that it had a relatively stable government after Doomsday and had almost the entire western portion of Canada's (former) military under it's control also at the time puts it in here compared to most of the nations in North America.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Is considered one of North America's premier powers, yet has only about two million people.
- The Other Rainforest: Is located mostly in this region (including the Washington territories), but significant portions are located in the interior of British Columbia.
- Hub City: For the entire Great Lakes region.
- Spiritual Successor: To New York City, Toronto and Buffalo.
- The Mafia: This city is the center of the Mafia in the former United States and Canada post-Doomsday.
Republic of Lincoln
- Cult: A religion has sprouted out around Abraham Lincoln. Though it's justified in that Lincoln's inhabitants are described as being desperate to cling onto some piece of old America.
- Eagleland: Its people are trying to carry on Honest Abe's memory after all.
- Name's the Same: Shares the same name as its counterpart in the restored US mentioned above.
Republic of Virginia
- Eagleland: Or rather, what America would look like if the military ran the government.
- Military Coup: Pretty much how the intact parts of Virginia were brought into line.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: Subverted. While Virginian society is militaristic and the army still has considerable influence, the survivor state is nonetheless trying to make the transition back into American-style democracy.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The US military remnants sought to restore order and some semblance of the old America, even if it meant establishing a militarized survivor nation.
- Yanks with Tanks: The 101st Airborne under General Thompson survived Doomsday and were in many ways responsible for restoring order in their part of the former US. The "Screaming Eagles" eventually became Virginia's elite military corps.
- The Cavalry: The Cuban soldiers who were in Angola back in 1983 were this to their countrymen. Their return allowed Cuba to not just restore order but also become a major power in the post-Doomsday Caribbean.
- Commie Land: Although Fidel Castro died in Doomsday, the government and system he helped set up is still in place. Alongside Socialist Siberia, Cuba is thus among the most prominent and successful Communist countries left standing.
- The Apunkalypse: Subverted. What remained of the government and whatever Cuban citizens they could save fled the main island, which soon devolved into a lawless mess of warlords. Then the Communists fought back. And with the aid of the Cuban soldiers returning from Angola, there's no contest.
- Serial Numbers Filed Off: A Cuban expedition managed to find the secret recipe for Coca Cola in the ruins of Atlanta. Which was used in Cuba's popular "Kola Grande" beverage.
Middle East-Central Asia
Sultanate of Turkey
- The Kingdom: The Turks like to see themselves as this.
- Rightful King Returns: the old Ottoman Sultans made a comeback after Doomsday...although they're more liberal and willing to keep at least some of the old republic's ideals.
- Badass Israeli: During Doomsday, an Israeli pilot literally went kamikaze to make sure a nuclear weapon exploded over the ocean next to Tel Aviv instead of over it. Sure, Tel Aviv still got damaged from the resulting tsunami, but this probably saved quite a few lives.
- The Holy City: Avoided destruction on Doomsday due to the nuclear missile intended to hit it not exploding.
Realm of New Britain (New Britain)
- Cult: A few sprung up in the intervening years. The most significant ones however are Albionism and the Cult of the Once and Future King, both of which revere in some form or another King Arthur, the Royal Family and Britain itself.
- Culture Chop Suey: By the present, the New British have increasingly taken in a fair deal of Afrikaner/Boer influence (with Afrikaans being widely spoken) along with a general African veneer.
- Going Native: Though the New British still uphold their identity, within only 30 years since Doomsday there are already signs of this trope happening to them.
- The Remnant: A good chunk of its population came from the UK, including what's left of the Royal Family.
- Vestigial Empire: It still holds itself as a direct continuation of pre-Doomsday Britain as well as The British Empire.
Zulu Kingdom (KwaZulu)
- Darkest Africa: Averted. It's one of the nicer and relatively stable survivor-nations in former Southern Africa.