open/close all folders
The Night Watch
The forces of Light in the series.
Anton Gorodetsky (Konstantin Khabensky)The protagonist (and most of the time) narrator of the series.
- Badass Bookworm: Well-read and actually joined Night Watch as a programmer before being transferred to field work.
- Brought Down to Normal: Becomes a human in the end of Sixth Watch.
- Good Is Not Nice: Anton can be a real jerk.
- Happily Married: To Svetlana.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Often listens to Suspiciously Apropos Music on them. Because of his Other powers, he doesn't really need his ears.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Gets really cynical in his internal narration.
- Papa Bear: To his daughter in later books.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Olga.
- Take a Level in Badass: His power level grows enormously throughout the series.
- Unwitting Pawn: Often to Geser and/or Zabulon.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Anton and a lot of the other Others likes a drink, and he's actually The Alcoholic in the movies.
SemyonAnton's main friend in the Night Watch.
- Badass Grandpa: As a level two magician, he's one of the more powerful agents of the Night Watch.
- Combat Pragmatist: One of the few agents to learn martial arts on top of his magical skills to give himself an edge in combat.
- Cool Old Guy
- Drives Like Crazy
Boris Ignatyevich/ GesarThe head of the Night Watch and the mentor to Anton.
- Anti-Hero: Type III.
- Badass Grandpa: Is known to have defeated three powerful Dark Others in his past.
- Benevolent Boss: For the most part, although he's willing to sacrifice people for the greater good.
- Big Good: Sort of.
- Chessmaster: One of the best in the series, if not the best.
- Friendly Enemy: To Zabulon.
- Guile Hero / Magnificent Bastard
- Pragmatic Hero: Is known as a man who "will throw a child to the zoo to animals if necessary, but before will do everything to avert it".
- Shoot the Dog: He was the Light Other, who convinced Arina to disrupt the experiment, as it would have led to the existence of Others known to humans and a Bad Future for everyone...
- Really 700 Years Old: He was a Grand Light Mage even 2000 years ago!
- Trickster Mentor: To Anton
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Played with. Though he did manipulated the events that Nadya, Absolute Great Light Other and Anton's daughter to be born to have a weapon against Twilight, he was against the experiment on people of USSR to create a better future.
OlgaA powerful light sorceress and Boris Ignatyevich's lover.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Was forced into the body of a stuffed owl, had most of her powers confiscated and was only allowed to become human again for half an hour each day during times of war.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Has this effect on a class of male students while her body was occupied by Anton.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Anton.
Svetlana Gorodetskaya (nee Nazarova)A seemingly human woman who is revealed to be a Light Other of immense power.
- Apocalypse Maiden
- Mama Bear
- Meaningful Name: The Light Other with most potential since Jesus wore diapers is named "Light". Didn't see that one coming...
- Collector of the Strange: Has a collection of ancient swords.
- Healing Hands: Gave up this ability to focus on her combat magic.
- Killed Off for Real: In Day Watch.
- Painful Transformation: Tells Anton that changing back from her tiger form is very painful.
- Platonic Life Partners/ Battle Couple: Has an undefined relationship with Bear, who she always partners up with on duty.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Assumes the form of a large tiger.
- Heel–Face Turn: Rumoured to be a former Dark One who turned to the Light side.
- Platonic Life Partners/ Battle Couple: Has an undefined relationship with Tiger Cub, who he always partners up with on duty.
- The Quiet One
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: A rare example In-Universe; can assume the form of many different bear species.
- Collector of the Strange: Apparently has a butterfly collection that takes up two entire rooms of his house.
- Honey Trap: His main role in the Night Watch.
- The Charmer
LasA rock musician who befriends Anton in the third book. Gets turned into a weak Light Other by Kostya
The Day Watch
The forces of / Darkness
ZabulonThe head of the Day Watch.
- Affably Evil: He's remorseless evil bastard, but is good at putting on a facade of being a sensitive, charming guy.
- Badass Grandpa: Is heavily implied to be as old as Geser.
- Benevolent Boss: Is stated to respect his subordinates rights and freedoms. But he is also...
- Bad Boss: He ruthlessly sacrifices his followers once they've outlived their usefulness and is fond of seducing female followers.
- Big Bad: Sort of- he's the leader of the forces of Darkness, but he's never actually the main antagonist, and will often cooperate with the Light Others when something bad happens that doesn't suit his goals.
- Chessmaster: Only slightly worse than Geser. In Day Watch he managed to outwit him.
- Enemy Mine: Does this freguently, when something bad appears. Later shown to be
- Friendly Enemy: Despite being the leader of Day Watch, he is shown to enjoy his fight with Geser, who reciprocates. See also his Affably Evil.
- Fantastic Racism: Heavily dislikes Ukranians and Lithuanians, according to Arina. It seems to be true, as Vycheslav Rogoza and Edgar's fates show.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Is revealed to be Anton's grandfather at the end of the last book
- Giggling Villain
- Manipulative Bastard
- One-Winged Angel: While he appears to be a sensitive glasses-wearing intellectual, his Twilight form (his "true form") is a snake demon with a tail and spiked penis.
- His other true form, seen briefly in Night Watch looks more like some sort of a giant insect.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Also translated as Zavulon.
- Worthy Opponent: To Geser, who feels the same.
Konstantin (Kostya) SaushkinA young, idealistic vampire whom Anton befriended before joining the Nightwatch.
- Evil Former Friend: What Anton thinks him to be.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Completely averted.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: in Twilight Watch.
- Took A Levelin Badass: After using Fuaran, he becomes an Absolute Other.
Alisa DonnikovaA witch of the Day Watch and Zabulon's lover.
- Drives Like Crazy
- Hot Witch
- Sacrificial Lion: In Day Watch
- Villain Protagonist: In Day Watch.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness
- Affably Evil
- And I Must Scream: New Watch ends with her getting trapped in the inescapable Sarcophagus of Times for all eternity.
- Badass: Possibly the strongest witch in the world.
- Despair Event Horizon: When she learnt that she probably screwed Russia with her intefering.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: She has no respect to Zabulon whatsoever, and isn't afraid to show it.
- Friendly Enemy: Despite her deeds, she is polite and cordial to Anton.
- Heel–Face Turn: She becomes a Light Witch in Last Watch, although it doesn't change her personality nor her intentions. She's more of...
- Heel–Face Revolving Door
- Knight Templar: While crossing Despair Event Horizon in New Watch, she started planning a destruction of Twilight by Nadya in order to stop it from interfering and causing catastrophes.
- Light Is Not Good: She becomes more villainous when becoming a Light Other.
- Manipulative Bastard: She did a good job of manipulating Anton in New Watch.
- Shoot the Dog: She disrupted the experiment of Watches and Inquisition because of the Bad Future, which Geser convinced her to avert.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Twilight Watch reveals she had sabotaged an experiment, conducted by the Inquisition with the purpose of giving Russian people communist ideas. It worked much sooner than it was supposed to, resulting in countless deaths and leaving Russia in its current unfortunate economic condition. The reason? Had she not, humans would have discovered the existence of the Others among them, leading to a world-wide witch hunt. And then Geser reveals that the experiment was doomed to fail anyway, causing numerous nuclear wars across the world.
- In New Watch, Arina seeks to destroy Twilight itself in order to stop the prophecy which foretells Russia's destruction.
- Wicked Witch: Zig-Zagged.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: Played with. She did threaten to kill Nadya and even trapped her with a grenade inside a magic barrier once, but she warned Anton just in time so he could disassemble it and save his daughter. Later, Geser assures Anton he is acquainted with her well enough that he knows she'd never hurt a little kid.
The Balance Between Good and Evil.
MaximA Light Other introduced early in the novel Night Watch who is initially unaware of The Masquerade and as a result, kills Dark Others who he wrongly believes to be pure evil.
- Broken Ace: He initially appears to be a Born Lucky and near perfect guy, but outside of his legitimate excuse of having Missed the Call, he's still a deeply troubled man who has no understanding of love or goodness (he only understands smiting evil)
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Never heard from in the later books
- Knight Templar: Prior to joining the Inquisition.
- Light Is Not Good
WitezslavA vampire and Dark Other.
- Affably Evil
- Badass: Was considered to be one of the strongest vampires. Before Kostya killed him.
- Retired Monster: He became a Higher Vampire though killing several young girls and feels no remorse, but has sort of "mellowed" to the extent that he left the Day Watch to become an Inquisitor.
- Worf Effect: He is defeated by Kostya after he gets Fuaran.
EdgarA Dark Other Mage who started out on the Day Watch (in the eponymous novel), but later joined the Inquisition.
- Affably Evil
- Badass Grandpa: He is Anton's equal, and is about two centuries old. He is also stated to have grandchildren, who are already old.
- Defector from Decadence: He's not at all a good guy, but did leave the Day Watch and become less Dark in reaction to all of Zabulon's bastardy (specifically trying to screw him over).
- Friendly Enemy: Toward Anton.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door
- Love Makes You Evil: Becomes this due to his wife's death in The Last Watch.
- Nietzsche Wannabe
- Ooh Me Accent's Slipping: A few times when he loses his composure he reverts to his natural Estonian accent.
- Villainous Glutton