Characters / NiGHTS into Dreams...
Voiced by Ikue Otani (Japanese, Sonic Shuffle), Elara Distler (English, Sonic Shuffle), Yukari Tamura (Japanese, Journey of Dreams), Julissa Aguirre (English)
The eponymous character of the series, NiGHTS is a carefree, mysterious being that flies around the world of dreams. They're interested in anything new and unusual, including Visitors, and tends to do their own thing, for the most part. NiGHTS has a tendency to be unthinkingly rude, especially towards Owl, but they generally act in fun, and means no harm.
- The Ace: By the end of both games, they've managed to defeat all of Wizeman's forces and is capable of fighting Wizeman on equal terms.
- Ascended Demon
- All-Loving Hero: They'd have to be to be a Nightmaren and still be heroic.
- Ambiguous Gender
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Averted
- Anti Anti Christ: NiGHTS is a Nightmaren created by the Big Bad Wizeman for the sake of stealing a humans ideya. They choose to be The Hero instead.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Look! It's Octopaw!
- Beware the Nice Ones: Possibly. They're never seen to lose their temper, but they also have no problem with killing their enemies if they're pushed too far.
- Starkly evident in the Reala fight in Journey of Dreams- NiGHTS basically snaps at Reala, picks a fight, and then proceeds to beat Reala up so badly that the other Nightmaren is forced to retreat.
- Big Brother Mentor: A bit more like this to Will and Helen than Elliot and Claris. Understandable, as Will and Helen are 12 while Claris and Elliot are about 15.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Deadpan Snarker: In the storybook titled "NiGHTS: Flying through the sky without wings".
- Disney Death
- Fake Brit: In the sequel.
- The Fool
- Friendly Enemy: Usually acts like this toward Reala.
- Heel–Face Turn: Before the series started.
- Hellish Pupils: Both NiGHTS and Reala are subtly cat-eyed.
- He's Back: At the end of Journey of Dreams, possibly.
- Idiot Ball: Mostly in the sequel, where they are constantly being captured.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: In Jo D. Friendly, playful and flamboyant to Reala's rough stoicism, though this is probably doable for every variation.
- Shapeshifting: Besides transforming into a dolphin, a dragon, and a rocket by means of Persona Masks, NiGHTS takes on the shape of a boat and a roller coaster car.
- Shadow Archetype: NiGHTS embodies this. However unlike many other shadow archetype they are not focused on the negative. Instead they bring out the positive traits of the Vistors, that are hidden deep down, and makes it part of it's own personality. Will's determination and Helen's bravery for one.
- Sharing Abody: Helen and Will can dualize with NiGHTS, which allows them to fly in their form.
- Trickster Archetype
- Villainous Harlequin: Pre-series, possibly.
Voiced by Jasmine Allen
An aspiring singer with a serious case of stage fright, Claris finds her way into Nightopia after a disastrous audition.
Voiced by Cameron Earl Strother
A friendly, popular boy who loses confidence in himself after the local Jerk Jock
and his friends push him around. He then finds his way into Nightopia...
Voiced by Victoria Ashby
A child prodigy who is gifted at playing the violin. She's very close to her mother, and finds herself in the Night Dimension when she begins to have nightmares out of guilt for sacrificing her time with her mother for her social life.
Voiced by Riley O'Flynn
A lonely boy whose favorite hobby is soccer. He's very close to his father, so when the man leaves for a business trip, Will's loneliness leads to nightmares. It's after this he finds his way to the Night Dimension.
Voiced by Jeff Kramer
An elderly, owl-like Nightopian, he serves as a guide to both Helen and Will throughout Journey of Dreams
. He panics easily in bad situations and is irritated by NiGHTS' childish antics.
Voiced by Roger L. Jackson
The ruler and creator of Nightmare. Wizeman created the Nightmaren as well. He seeks to rule over the Night Dimension (and the waking world in the US version of NiGHTS into Dreams
) and is especially interested in corrupting Nightopia.
- A God Am I: Granted, he is implied to be a god, but that doesn't stop him from acting out this trope.
- Archnemesis Dad: Created NiGHTS, but is perfectly willing to destroy them for defying him.
- As Long as There is Evil: Ties directly into his Type I Immortality, being the seeming source of it.
- Big Bad
- The Blank: His face seems to be totally blank, save for something that could be a mouth.
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Evil Sounds Deep: In Journey of Dreams.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: In each palm of his hand there is a red eye. Most prominently in the cutscene following Donbalon's defeat.
- Floating Limbs: Six disembodied hands.
- God of Evil: He's really the only character implied to be a god, and being able to create Nightmare and the Nightmarens certainly attests to that. The evil part comes with his being the Big Bad.
- Immortality: Type I. It doesn't stop him from being destroyed in the good ending of Journey of Dreams, however. Or does it?
- Was Once a Man: His backstory states that he was a Visitor who was deprived of his Ideya.
- You Have Failed Me: He tends to pull this a lot on second-level Nightmaren, and even threatens to do this to Reala.
Voiced by Casey Robertson
NiGHTS's rival. Unlike NiGHTS, he's cruel and insidious, willing to do just about anything to get what he wants. He is completely loyal to Wizeman and is constantly out on missions from him.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: In his relationship towards NiGHTS and his desire to fight him in order to please Wizeman.
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Circling Monologue: Gives one to Helen while revealing that NiGHTS is a Nightmaren to destroy her trust in NiGHTS.
- Cool Mask: Given one called a persona in the sequel.
- The Dragon
- Excessive Evil Eyeshadow: Though for all we know, it's his actual skin.
- Evil Counterpart: To NiGHTS.
- Evil Twin
- Giggling Villain: In Journey of Dreams
- Hellish Pupils: In NiGHTS into Dreams, Reala's pupils are round and huge with points at the bottom(and assumedly, also at the top, though the top part isn't visible) in Journey of Dreams, he has vertical slit pupils like NiGHTS does.
- Kick the Dog: He's practically made of this in Journey of Dreams.
- Large Ham
- Mirror Boss: In the first game.
- Mondegreen: The above quote as stated by Word of God is slang for "Let's go, NiGHTS". However, it has been confused for the even darker (and yet more in-character) line of "There is no NiGHTS".
- No Biological Sex: Though he appears masculine, it's likely he shares this with his mirror image- NiGHTS, and also has no gender.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Maintains this attitude towards NiGHTS in both games.
- Perpetual Frowner: His default expression. When he does smile, it's always just to be condescending.
- Stealth Pun: Wears black-and-white makeup that makes him look like he's in KISS, and could be called a crazy, crazy NiGHTS...
- The Rival: Due to equal skills and opposing personalities, Reala is constantly led into rivalry with NiGHTS.
A second-level Nightmaren created by Wizeman. He appears as a body-less hood with gloves and boots. Only appears in the first game.
A rather harmless fish Nightmaren that swims around in a giant glass tank. The first boss of the first game.
A fat, round, bouncing, pink rabbit-like Nightmaren that apparently can sing opera.
An odd Nightmaren that looks like a cross between a frog, bat, and dragon. One of few re-occurring bosses, appearing in Christmas Nights.
An ever-grinning cat Nightmaren that jumps around a horizontal, ferris wheel-like contraption on exploding mice.
A clown Nightmaren that bounces around like a large balloon, hence the name. first boss of the second game.
A Giant fish Nightmaren, clad in knight-like armor. Has a thin mustache, and a penchant for eating its enemies. Sinks into the ground to avoid them as well.
A witch Nightmaren who fights on top of a tiltable table. Fights by firing blasts, and using her cat familiars as rocket projectiles.
A vicious dog Nightmaren that appears to be three orbs with dog-like auras, bond to each other by chains.
- Chained by Fashion: All three are bound together by two chains. NiGHTS has to use this fact to defeat Cerberus.
- The Dreaded: Both Reala and NiGHTS are terrified of this thing.
- Energy Being: The third Cerberus is revealed to be this in the second fight.
- Hellhound: That mad old dog. Even the other Nightmarens fear this creature.
An odd chameleon magician Nightmaren that wears a stage magician's tuxedo, top hat, and cape. Seems to drag opponents into its own realm, and uses playing cards to fight for him.
A giant spider Nightmaren, dressed like a British queen. Fought above a lava-filled hole on grate platforms. Seemingly likes to spin silk balls for no reason.