The Konoha 12 consists of Team 7 plus three other squads of genin. The group forms the central cast of Naruto
and is noted for being the most gifted class to come along in several years. The three other teams in the Konoha 12 are Team 8, Team 10, and Team Guy. Teams 7, 8, and 10 are together referred to as "The Rookie 9" during the Chunin Exams Arc.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
All provide example of:
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: All of the three man teams can be seen as this.
- Team 8: Kiba's the Fighter as he primarily fights with taijutsu, using his ninjutsu to further enable this. Hinata is the Mage, her attacks are a lot more decisively fatal when properly employed, but she's not as tough as Kiba. Shino's the Thief, using bug ninjutsus to attack and misdirect his opponents rather than meet them head-on.
- Team 10: Like Kiba, Choji's the Fighter, using ninjutsu only to enhance his taijutsu. Ino is the Mage, using her Mind Body Switch jutsu to take control of her opponent. Shikamaru is the Thief, using his abilities to remain outside the fray and hinder his opponent's movements.
- Team Gai: Again, Lee's the Fighter who fights solely with Taijutsu, with his only non-taijutsu ability being used to enhance this. Neji's the Mage for approximately the same reason as Hinata, and Tenten is the Thief who relies on attacking from a distance and can't take a hit to save her life
- Geodesic Cast: A loud guy and a quiet guy (relative to each other), a girl, and an adult in charge. All teams mirror the template set by Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi, respectively. This extends to most groups in the entire Ninja World, not just Naruto's friends.
- Super Mode: Naruto gives all of them (except the deceased Neji) his Animal Battle Aura via his Chakra Transfer technique and later he gives his peers even more power, allowing them to manifest his Badass Longcoat Battle Aura to deal the final blow to Obito.
- ¡Three Amigos!: All the teams in the series follow this layout for some arbitrary reason or another.
- True Companions: All of the teams, plus Team 7. Emphasized more in the fillers.
Heh, I don't know what's going on, but I'm always up for getting wild.
Member of Team 8. Kiba is a wild, untamed ninja from the Inuzuka clan, a family of dog breeders. As such, he's never seen without his loyal pooch, Akamaru. Kiba utilizes him as both a partner and a weapon, and later as a transport.
He treats Hinata like a younger sister, fights with his ultra-serious partner Shino and, after initially mocking him, considers Naruto one of his closest friends.
Kiba fights Naruto in the preliminary rounds of the Chunin exams, which is one of the latter's first big solo fights in the series. Kiba tries a number of attacks and strategies to beat Naruto, but the kid just won't stay down. Later, Kiba is recruited by Shikamaru for the Sasuke Retrieval team, fights and is nearly killed by Sakon, and is saved by Kankuro.
Among Kiba's abilities are a heightened sense of smell, which makes him especially effective at tracking. He is also one of the fastest seen ninja. In battle, Kiba can transform Akamaru into a clone of himself, allowing them to use combination attacks such as the tornado-like Fang Over Fang. He can also make himself more bestial in nature, increasing his speed and strength, and can combine with Akamaru to become a two-headed wolf. In Shippuden
, he has developed his sense of smell to the point that it is superior to that of a dog's. When the Fourth Great Ninja War started, he was placed in the Fifth Division along with Shino, his sister Hana, and Ino.
His hobby is taking walks with Akamaru.
Favorite word: "Akamaru"
You make mistakes... but... because of those mistakes... you get the strength to stand up to them... that's why I think you are truly strong.
At first, she played the Shrinking Violet
role of the main cast, being completely weak and non-confrontational. Perhaps her most notable trait is her huge crush on Naruto, who is completely oblivious about it. However, it's this admiration that spurs her on to become stronger.
Hinata was born into the head family of the Hyuga clan, and was expected to one day take it over. Since she started out extremely weak, this did not sit well with many others (namely Neji and her own father, Hiashi, though other
extremely complicated reasons made it even worse for her). With the involvement of Kurenai and the aforementioned admiration of Naruto, she gradually develops as a warrior, becoming more confident.
Hinata, like all members of the Hyuga clan, has the kekkai genkai known as the Byakugan, characterized by the Prophet Eyes
of its owners. It grants the user nearly-360-degree vision, as well as the ability to sense the flow of chakra in the human body. Hinata uses the Gentle Fist style of martial arts, a special combat style designed to take advantage of the Byakugan's unique abilities.
In Shippuden, she goes out with Team 7 to search for Sasuke or Itachi, but that ends in failure when Itachi dies and Tobi takes Sasuke away. In Pain's invasion, she intervenes to save Naruto from Pain, and finally tells him that she loves him. Pain defeats her and nearly kills her, triggering Naruto going into six-tailed mode, but she survives with Sakura's help. When the Shinobi Alliance marches against Madara, she is placed in the Second Division alongside her cousin Neji, Karui, and Kurotsuchi.
Her hobby is pressing flowers.
Favorite phrase: "self-confidence"
- Action Girl: Fully becomes this in the War Arc. From watching Neji's back, to saving Naruto a few times against the Ten-Tails. Even more-so now that she has mastered the Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms and is combining it with her Gentle Step Twin Lion Fists.
- Adaptational Badass: In the anime filler arcs, Hinata is given more screen time during battle and is seen winning battles; the manga panel that showed her losing to Pain was changed to an expanded, yet brief fight scene.
- Adorkable: Most of her interactions with Naruto show her as such, especially in part one.
- Alliterative Name: Hinata Hyuuga.
- All-Loving Hero: Hinata dislikes competing and fighting. She is shown to be incredibly empathetic, and, because of her upbringing, is one of the very first characters who identifies with Naruto's painful childhood and desire to be acknowledged.
- All of the Other Reindeer: A mild exemple. She felt like that because of being removed of Headship in her clan. The Last revealed that she was picked on in the Academy for having Byakugan too.
- And I Must Scream:When caught in the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Hinata is unable to move thanks to the genjutsu and can only mentally cry out for help as she's enveloped in the roots of the World Tree. It's not clear if this is unique to her or if she was just highlighted as an example.
- Animal Battle Aura: Hinata's signature technique the Twin Lion Fists create phantom guardian lions around Hinata's hands enhancing the effects of her Gentle Fist techniques with greater range and Energy Absorption capabilities.
- Ascended Extra: In the anime, where she frequently stars in filler arcs. Taken to its logical conclusion in The Last: Naruto the Movie where she is a main character.
- Later Word of God stated that she became a main character/heroine by the end of manga as well.
- Aura Vision: The Byakugan's main ability is to see Chakra, inside and out of the body.
- Babies Ever After: Two with Naruto, Bolt and Himawari.
- Badass: Like the other Konoha 12 she truly becomes one during the Fourth Great Ninja War.
- Badass Adorable: Nice Girl + Shrinking Violet + a certified badass.
- Badass Princess: She's the eldest princess of the Hyuga Clan. The Last even gives her the title Byakugan Princess.
- Battle Couple: With Naruto in The Last.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Hinata is one of the nicest and most humble ninjas anyone can meet. But, if you push her... Let's just say what she did to an enemy has an entry in the Nightmare Fuel page of the final movie, and leave it at that.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: The most silent of ninjas, mostly out of shyness, but isn't a pushover.
- Betty and Veronica: Both Hinata and Sakura have been teased with Naruto throughout the series. Hinata is the "Betty", and Sakura is the "Veronica". At the end of the manga, "Betty" wins, and Hinata marries Naruto.
- Big Eater: In the omake of the episode 95 of Shippuden. She wins a ramen eating contest, eating 46 pork roast ramen bowls. In half an hour. To better drive the point home, here's the other contestants: Shino (fainted ten minutes in at 18 bowls), Kiba (fainted twenty minutes in at 20 bowls), Sai (fainted at the twenty-ninth minute, number of eaten bowls unknown), Naruto (third, he ate 30 bowls), and Yamato (second, he ate 31 bowls).
- Big Sister Instinct: There's one thing that tops Naruto on Hinata's priority list: her own sister Hanabi. This becomes undisputed when Hinata takes Hanabi's eyes back from Toneri... by ripping them out of his eye sockets herself.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Played with, she breaks Naruto's heart, not to save him but to save Hanabi. Nevertheless, she later apologizes to him for doing so. Naruto, of course forgives her.
- Breakout Character: According to Word of God, she's the most popular female of the series, exceeding even Sakura, despite his all efforts to make the latter popular. This even had come to a point where Kishimoto wondered about switching her into the main heroine of the series but in the end settled on making her heroine as the main love interest of the series by the end of manga. This also resulted in The Last: Naruto the Movie, where she was a main character and main love interest of the movie.
- Break the Cutie: Neji tries to do this to her during their fight, but it doesn't work.
- Cain and Abel: Even though they're not actual siblings, she and Neji still fulfilled these roles at the beginning of the series, with Hinata being the Abel to Neji's Cain, before Neji did a Heel-Face Turn and became a big brother figure to her.
- Call Back: Hinata once told Naruto when he was down on himself that she could see in his eyes that he is strong. Three years later Naruto tells her the exact same thing after he saves her from Zetsu.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Regarding her feelings for Naruto, until Chapter 437. She also wants to cheer for him in his fight with Kiba, but can't because Kiba's her teammate, and doing so would upset him.
- Character Development: Becomes more self-confident, even assertive, as time goes on.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She has admired and loved Naruto since she was a little girl, and is often regarded as the first person to have acknowledged Naruto for who he is, even if Naruto himself never realized it until The Last. At the end they get married and have two children.
- The Chosen One: In "The Last" movie it turns out she is the Byakugan Princess and can wield Hamura Otsutsuki's chakra which is the only thing that can destroy Toneri and his Tenseigan. Subverted in that she lacks the brute strength required to destroy the Tenseigan and fight Toneri on her own and can only fullfill her destiny by empowering and protecting Naruto.
- Clark Kent Outfit: Female version. Her two outfits conceal her knockout figure (body and legs), to the point it isn't uncommon to think she's a bit or plain overweight. The film Road To Ninja takes the chance to show her silhouette, and she's actually quite◊ svelte◊. The Last: Naruto the Movie hits a midpoint between the two, with her outfit being more flattering but not quite as revealing as the Road To Ninja version. Naruto who by that point, developed feelings for her even teased her about this.
- Combination Attack: She and Neji are able to combine their Empty Palm skill to double its power. She also pulls one off with Ino by guiding her Mind Transfer with her Byakugan and with Naruto combining his Rasengan with her Twin Lion's Fist in The Last.
- Cool Big Sis: Her younger sister Hanabi considers her as such. See the Onee-sama entry below.
- The Cutie: In part 1.
- A Day in the Limelight: Has gotten two so far during part 2; once during the Pain arc when she attempts to rescue Naruto from Pain and again during the World War Arc. In both cases, they were temporary moments, in the former, her "death" served as the catalyst for Naruto's Despair Event Horizon, while in the latter she gives Naruto a Rousing Speech but quickly gets shunted back into the sideline to bring the focus back onto the newly reformed Team 7.
- Has one in the Grand Finale The Last: Naruto The Movie where she is one of the main characters. And the main love interest, seeing as the movie acts as a bridge to the epilogue in the manga, and is ultimately the tale of how she and Naruto fell in love.
- Designated Victim: Gets kidnapped a few times in Fillers and once manages to defeat her abductors after they had taken Naruto, Kiba and Shino captive when they tried to save her.
- Her defining trait as of her fight against Neji. She's beaten badly, but after Naruto helps her recover from Neji's Breaking Speech, she does NOT give up ever.
- She reaffirms it when she goes against Pain fully knowing that she might not make it, since she wants to not only tell Naruto that she loves him, but to tell him that it's thanks to him that she's reached the place she is now.
- Taken Up to Eleven in the anime version of her fight with Pain- in the manga he took her out with a One-Hit Kill, but in the anime she gets up...and gets up...and keeps getting up...!
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Naruto finally admits his love for her in The Last movie, but the road was long and hard.
- Elemental Punch: Of the Pure Energy variety, her Twin Lion Fists technique.
- Energy Absorption: The Twin Lion Fists are energy eating phantom lions.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Byakugan users have pupil-less, silver eyes.
- Fan of Underdog: Out of all the kids, she was the only one who always admired Naruto since childhood.
Hinata: In my eyes you're a proud failure! When I look at you, I get an intense feeling in my heart. Because you are not perfect… Because you fail… you have the strength to get back up… Because I believe that's what true strength is…
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Hinata is a very talented cook.
- First Girl After All: She was introduced in Chuunin exam arc (except in anime, where she had a cameo in episode 1), thus technically making Sakura the First Girl. However The Last reveals that she actually met Naruto long before he met Sakura.
- First Girl Wins: Hinata is the one who ultimately ends up with Naruto in the end.
- Flanderization: Anime-only fillers and the SD spinoff tend to exaggerate Hinata's character into an obsessive stalker. Her shyness towards Naruto is also exaggerated to the point where she can barely talk to Naruto without fainting. In comparison to the manga itself, though Hinata is still shy, she can have full conversations with Naruto without too much trouble.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: After the time-skip, her chest growth can't be missed, despite wearing a loose jacket.
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Gives one to Naruto, when he had a Heroic BSOD after Neji's death, and Obito's Breaking Speech seemed to take an effect on him.
- Good Is Not Dumb: In her fight with Neji during the Chuunin exams, he says "You really are a naive and spoiled child of the Main House" for attempting to fight him, the prodigy of the Hyuuga Clan. However, she turns the tables on him by saying that he is the one fighting fate. Naturally, this nearly gets her killed.
- Good Parents: Hinata becomes a kind and loving mother to her and Naruto's children, Bolt and Himawari.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She's The Ojou and wears predominantly lavender clothing.
- Grow Old with Me: Naruto's proposal to her in The Last, after finally returning her feelings.
Naruto: I want to be with you. From now on, I want to spend all and every single one of my days until I die with you, and only you, Hinata!
- Hand Blast: The Empty Palm technique which is a palm thrust which launches a long ranged wave of invisible chakra.
- Happily Married: Her marriage to Naruto is a happy and fruitful one.
- Hidden Buxom: She was busty even as a 13-year-old, as shown by the clothes she wore for the 3rd part of the Chunin exam and her infamous midnight dance on a pond in the anime. However, she wears a baggy coat to hide it, befitting her shy personality. It's most noticeable when Sakura takes off said coat to heal her during the end of Naruto's fight with Pain. She's been the most... gifted of her peers for a long time. Taken to Gag Boobs levels in the Prologue to Road To Ninja, where she tries to hide them in the bath house because they keep floating and the other girls envy her.
- Hidden Depths: Hinata is one of the few ninjas to not cheat on the Chunin Exams.
- Hime Cut: Her hair longer in Part II, befitting her status as the heir of the illustrious Hyuga clan and her renewed confidence.
- Holding Hands: She stated numerous times that it's her goal to catch up to Naruto and be able to hold his hand. Achieved it, after she snapped him out of his Heroic BSOD following Neji's death.
- Honey Trap: Hinata infiltrates Toneri's castle to rescue her sister by "agreeing" to marry him and playing along as his new bride.
- Hollywood Personality Disorders: Avoidant Personality Disorder. She's very shy and rather socially awkward.
- Honorifics: Uses them for virtually everyone due to her upbringing.
- Hotter and Sexier: Along with Hot-Blooded and Stripperiffic in the alternate universe of the Road to Ninja movie.
- Image Song: "Fuyu no Owari ni" ("At the End of Winter"), performed in character by Nana Mizuki to promote The Last: Naruto the Movie.
- Important Haircut: She actually received an important hair "growth" after the time-skip, used to symbolize her maturity and new-found confidence.
- Impostor Forgot One Detail: When she's impersonated in fillers, the forgotten detail is usually how she acts around Naruto.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Her poor combat ability caused her father to strip her of her birthright as the heiress to the clan's leadership and give it to her younger sister instead.
- Insecure Love Interest: She is this to Naruto, even calling her doomed rescue from Pain an act of her selfishness.
- Japanese Politeness: In a world of characters who typically do not bother with proper honorifics, Hinata is one of the few who addresses everyone properly and politely.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: In The Last she destroys Toneri's superweapon all while wearing a fine black dress.
- Kimono Is Traditional: She and Naruto have a traditional Japanese wedding complete with multiple wedding kimonos.
- Lady of War: The Hyuga fighting style is perfect for the trope, since it's based less on brute strength and more on swiftness, chakra blocking, speed and exploiting the enemy's weakness. Combine this with her long floating hair and you get a pretty gracious female fighter.
- Let's Get Dangerous: In some fillers but subverted in chapter 437 (although not in the anime version).
- Living Emotional Crutch: She saved Naruto from his own doubts and even moments he was on the brink of despair. When she "rejects" him (actually a ruse as part of her plan to destroy the Tenseigan core orb and save Hanabi), Naruto (who didn't know about her plan) comes very close to giving up on everything. A pep talk from Sakura(who correctly deduced her intentions) regarding the depths of Hinata's love for him gives him a Heroic Second Wind.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Emphasized in her flashback in Shippuden, when they show several other children coming to the conclusion that she's looking down on them.
- Love Triangle: She finds herself in the center of one between Naruto and Toneri in The Last.
- Luminescent Blush: Happens a lot when she's looking at Naruto. Sometimes her whole face lights up.
- Made of Iron: She tough enough to take multiple attacks from Neji even without having access to her chakra, and finally passes out only because of the immense stress to her heart.
- Magical Eye: The Byakugan, a genetically inherited ability giving incredibly enhanced eyesight.
- Martial Medic: Gives Naruto an emergency bone-setting with the Gentle Fist. Likewise in the anime she is also capable of using the Healing Hands of a Medical Ninja as well as one of the only non medic ninja shown to sensibly carry a first aid kit and healing ointment.
- Martial Pacifist: Dislikes fighting, but willing to go as far as she has to if she has no other choice. Sadly, this is why (despite her strength), her father deems her unfit to be a leader, especially in war.
- Memento MacGuffin: She met Naruto when she was a little girl, when he protected her from bullies. They beat him and ripped his red scarf. Hinata kept the red scarf as a memento of her first meeting with him. Said scarf is a important plot item in The Last movie.
- Missing Mom: The circumstances of what happened to Hinata (and Hanabi's) mother is unknown.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- During a filler episode of Part 1, Naruto caught a glimpse of Hinata, naked, while she was dancing in the middle of a river, and the camera gives us a silhouette of her as she does so. In actuality, she was practicing a new jutsu, and Naruto never realized who it was.
- Later, during the Road to Ninja special, Hinata was shown in the hot springs where she was making an effort to keep her breasts from floating up from the bath water, making the other girls (especially Sakura) jealous. During the Road to Sakura special, Hinata reluctantly wore a (very) tight, red Qipao dress.
- Lastly, there was one filler episode, a Team 8 flashback, where the audience finally got to see Hinata and Kurenai in the Hot Springs. Strangely enough, this episode actually had a shot of Hinata scarcely covered in a towel.
- Nice Girl: Her more definitive and persistent character trait during the entire series.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Is on the receiving end of one with Neji during the Chūnin Exams to the extent that several jōnin had to step in and restrain him from killing her outright. She's still not fully healed a month later.
- Oblivious to Love: As strange as it sounds, Naruto falls for her in The Last, but she doesn't notice it at all until he spits it out. What makes it ironic is that Naruto had been oblivious to Hinata's feelings for years, even after she finally spat it out to him. Then, when he finally starts to return her feelings, she doesn't realize it until a Freudian Slip during a conversation between them reveals that he's in love with her.
- Official Couple: She and Naruto fall in love in The Last and are married with two children come the final chapter.
- The Ojou: Raised to be proper and reserved.
- One True Love: Naruto has spent almost his life searching for the one person who would love him unconditionally, like his parents would have had they lived beyond his birth. However, since he never understood the romantic implications of such a relationship, he's been blind to the fact that the person he's been searching for has been in front of him all this time: Hinata, who has loved and admired him since the day they first met. It takes him until The Last to finally realize who the precious person he should be protecting is.
- Onee-sama: Her younger sister Hanabi adores her for her kindness and strength and the episode focusing on their relationship even uses the trope name.
- Opposites Attract: Hinata is a shy, Proper Lady whose fighting style is precised and accurate and she fell in love with the Hot-Blooded, boisterous Naruto whose way of fighting is unorthodox and full of surprises.
- Panthera Awesome: Her Gentle Step Twin Lion Fists.
- Pimped-Out Dress: She is put in a black Gothic inspired one for her wedding to Toneri after being turned into one of his dolls, upon being freed from the mind-control by Naruto she turns this into a Battle Ballgown.
- The Power of Love: The single presence of Naruto can literally change her from Shrinking Violet to Action Girl.
- Pressure Point: The Gentle Fist style her clan uses focuses on striking these very quickly, the effects being able to shut down the flow of chakra and cause organ failure .
- Pretty in Mink: Wears a fur coat in Part 1.
- Proper Lady: Has shades of this, especially given her coming from a prominent clan. Hinata is poised, reserved, and polite.
- Prophet Eyes: Inherent to all members of the Hyuga Clan.
- Purple Is Powerful: Disregarding how Hinata prefers to wear purple as of Part II, the Last reveals that Hinata, like Toneri, possesses Hamura's chakra as well, and this chakra is coloured purple.
- The Quiet One: The only female example in the manga. Hinata rarely speaks, especially in the case of her crush.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: She has been taught the Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms which is more like rapid fire Finger Pokes of Doom.
- Rapunzel Hair: By Part 2, Hinata's has reached to her waist level. It grows even longer in The Last.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sakura's red. Where Hinata is a Shrinking Violet who can't even talk to Naruto half the time, Sakura is Hot-Blooded and always ready to inflict Amusing Injuries on Naruto.
- Red String of Fate: Hinata knits multiple red scarves over the course of The Last to give to Naruto and they are used as a symbolic representation of the trope name. It also serves as a Meaningful Echo and Call Back to the story of how Naruto's parents fell in love, indicating her fate is tied to Naruto's in the same way.
- Repeat What You Just Said: To Naruto in The Last after he accidentally lets out that he's in love with her.
- Repetitive Name: Evidently Hinata and Hyuga mean the same thing in Japanese.
- Rescue Romance: The anime reveals that her long standing admiration of Naruto, started when he tried to protect her from three bullies. This turns her "fight" against Pain into a Meaningful Echo, with their roles reversed. The Last officially confirms that this is how Naruto and Hinata canonically met, albeit with some different places and time.
- Romance Genre Heroines: Mainly The Nurturer, while also bearing traits of The Crusader.
- Rousing Speech: She gives Naruto one before he duels Neji and again during his Darkest Hour when fighting Obito.
Hinata: Neji just said… that your life is not just your own anymore… Do you understand what he meant? Your words and desire to not let your comrades die… Neither of them are lies! What inspired Neji and carried him this far were those very principles! It's not just you, Naruto… we all hold those same words and feelings within our hearts. They're what bind our lives together and make us comrades. If we all give up and discard those words and feelings now, Neji's sacrifice will have been for nothing… And that is when your comrades truly die, for you are no longer comrades then. That's how I feel… Therefore… stand up together with me, Naruto… Because never going back on one's word… is my ninja way too!
- Second Love: After Naruto gets over his crush on Sakura, he falls in love with her and they become a couple in The Last. By the epilogue, they are married with two children.
- Subverted, as explained in The Last. Naruto's initial crush on Sakura was largely fueled by his rivalry with Sasuke, whom Sakura loved, as an attempt to cover up his insecurities and, as time went by, Naruto's feelings for Sakura settled on platonic friendship. Kishimoto even described Sakura as Naruto's first crush, and Hinata as his first love.
- Ship Tease: As one of Naruto's love interests she naturally has a lot with Naruto. In the events that led up to Neji's death, the aftermath where she and Naruto were holding hands, Hinata leading the defense of Naruto after his power limit ends, and finally Naruto hearing her cry out in terror when she's hit by Mugen Tsukuyomi and wanting to immediately rush to her aid. Eventually culminates into the ultimate bout of Ship Tease, an entire movie dedicated to how they fell in love. As the epilogue indicates, the two of them end up tying the knot and having two children.
- Shrinking Violet: Terribly shy and lacking confidence. There's a reason why she once provided this trope's picture. Though she gets better.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: See her Shrinking Violet and she has blue hair.
- Shy Finger Twiddling: She does this a lot when talking to Naruto. Still provides the page pic, which is taken from her first on-screen appearance in the series.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She's very kind and polite, but she's also a very talented fighter.
- Single-Target Sexuality: She's only ever shown any interest in Naruto. It's this fact that allows Sakura to snap Naruto out of his Heroic BSOD after Hinata's (apparent) rejection in The Last; as Sakura puts it, Hinata's only ever had eyes for him, and that's not changing any time soon.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: While all the other girls like Sakura and Ino were drooling over "bad boy" Sasuke, Hinata never even noticed him, preferring the nice, cheerful, neglected Naruto. In fact, she first met Naruto, and later developed feelings for him when he defended her against some bullies when they were kids.
- Snow Means Love: Met future husband Naruto on a snowy day, and has been in love with him ever since. Snow remains a reoccurring motif during Hinata's character arc (in part due to her being born in winter), but none more so than in The Last, which depicts the final, major developments of her romance with Naruto, which was pushed to the background during the main series.
- Stalker with a Crush: You really can't deny that she is this to Naruto, what with how many times you see her watching him from the sidelines. However, she's one of the more sympathetic examples out there since she is very clearly shown to truly care about him.
- Strong Family Resemblance: The anime shows that Hinata takes after her mother in appearance.
- Stuffed In The Fridge: Assumed to have been killed by Pain so that Naruto would have more motivation for fighting him, but she managed to survive. Not that it would've mattered much, since Nagato/Pain ended up reviving everyone anyway.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Gentle Fist which provides examples of...
- Superpowerful Genetics: The Byakugan, which seems to be the most dominant of all bloodlines seen so far extending to every member of the Hyuga Clan except, surprisingly, her own children with Naruto who both inherit their father's blue eyes.Though according to Kishi himself, thats because he forgot to add them in the design.
- Super Senses: Byakugan grants nearly 360 degree vision and telescopic view.
- Sweet Tooth: According to the databook her favorite food are cinnamon rolls and zenzai (sweet bean soup).
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Knits a red scarf for Naruto in The Last.
- Tomboyish Sidetails: In Part 1. Subverted, given Hinata is anything but tomboyish. It is rather used to show her innocence and shyness. May be a case of an Unbuilt Trope.
- Took a Level in Badass: She not only becomes slightly more assertive and much more self-assured, but she starts putting a good use to her abilities.
- Tranquil Fury: Her anger manifests itself as this.
- True Blue Femininity: Her blue hair qualifies her for this, especially since its a unique hair color for the Hyuga clan.
- True Sight: The Byakugan is capable of seeing through illusion as well as other visually disabling jutsu like the Hidden Mist technique.
- The Unfavourite: Her dad resented her for being gentle and shy, preferring her sister Hanabi as an heiress. They seem to be on better terms after the Chunin Exam arc, though he still doesn't consider her good enough to be a leader for the war feeling that she isn't ready yet.
- Uptown Girl: With Naruto. Played with, Hinata is the (or, at least former) Heiress of the prestigious Hyuga Clan. However, by the time they are together, Naruto becomes the Hometown Hero and one of the most powerful and well-respected ninjas.
- Vein-O-Vision: The Byakugan lets the user see the chakra network, the better to strike pressure points therein.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She stands in front of Pain and bravely fights him in order to protect Naruto.
- Warts and All: Hinata is the one who has acknowledged Naruto since the very beginning, even if he never realized it. The Last shows that because of that, Hinata loves him as he is, not as the hero that everyone else sees.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Wants to be acknowledged by her father, to the point where her most desired opponent is listed as him. She has managed it. She also counts as a "Well Done, Cousin" Girl since she also wanted Neji's approval, and has achieved it.
- Wise Beyond Her Years: She is the only one who sees Naruto for who he truly is waaaaaaaaaay before any of the other characters do. She offers him assurance and gives him back his confidence as Naruto fights Neji. Before that, though, she sees and understands Neji for the troubled and suffering soul he really is, which really set him off.
- X-Ray Vision: The Byakugan allows the user to see into and through their target's clothes, skin, flesh, etc, allowing for better pinpointing of chakra nodes.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Has all the physical traits and some of the psychological ones. Developing the "Core of Steel" associated with a typical Yamato Nadeshiko is actually a major part of her character development.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: A turning point in her relationship with Naruto was when she encouraged him when he revealed his insecurities to her and she assured him of his strength by telling him that she can see in his eyes that he is strong. Naruto returns the favor to Hinata much later, when she's hard on herself because he had to save her while she was supposed to be protecting him and echoes what she said to him all those years ago.
Hinata: *mentally* Thank you.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bonus point for being the only one with this hair color in the all brunette Hyuga clan.
Even if it's been a while, you should remember your comrades' faces. Why? Because otherwise you will hurt their feelings when they call out to you.
Member of Team 8. Shino's body is host to a large colony of chakra-eating insects, as is traditional in his clan. He commands these bugs in combat, in ways ranging from cool to creepy, and everything in between. He shows almost no emotion and hardly ever smiles; this, coupled with his insects, makes him an enigma among other shinobi, and some are visibly creeped out by him.
He was a member of the Fifth Division of the Shinobi Alliance with his fellow Team 8 member Kiba.
His hobbies are Entomology, and collecting new specimens for his insect collection.
Favorite phrase: "trump card"
- Anti-Hero: Probably the best example of the Konoha 12, not counting Sasuke.
- Badass Armfold: At least once, though his fighting style probably allows him to pull this off on other occasions.
- Badass Longcoat: Even justified since the coat helps hide the bugs he's not currently keeping in his body.
- Badass Teacher: Becomes an Academy instructor in the epilogue.
- Beetle Maniac: His entire arsenal is composed of terrifying beetles.
- Combat Pragmatist: Very ruthless and creative with his bugs during combat. During his fight with Zaku in the Chuunin Exams he offhandedly mentioned that he stuffed Zaku's arm tubes with bugs before the fight even began.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the humor around Shino comes from his complete deadpan monotone and serious personality.
- Cool Shades: And by extension Sunglasses at Night. After the timeskip they look more like goggles.
- Creepy Good: Everyone, including his teacher Kurenai, is visibly spooked and creeped out by his powers.
- Creepy Monotone: He always speaks in one, even to a comical degree.
- Deadpan Snarker: Often to Kiba.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Shino appears to be one of the few canonically-labeled "geniuses" who doesn't get a legion of in-series fans. In fact, many of his friends (Naruto, Kiba, Torune, etc.) seem to go out of their way to point out his faults.
- Eaten Alive: Shino's ultimate technique is to insert flesh eating insects inside his opponents body where they devour their flesh and chakra from the inside and grow to enormous size.
- Energy Absorption: His destruction beetles.
- Fluffy Tamer: His idea of heaven involves finding and riding a terrifying insect monster.
- Friend to Bugs: He has names for every one of them.
- Gag Penis: In the "Road to Ninja" special chapter, which Naruto mistakes for a giant worm.
- Generation Xerox: Greatly resembles his father in both looks and dress.
- Good Is Not Nice: Shino is pragmatic sometimes to the point of cruelty and devised a plan that killed another team from his own village (in the manga) to get a scroll in the Chunin Exams.
- Guile Hero: Due to his brutally pragmatic and underhanded approach to almost anything. His first fight was over before it started due to him filling his opponent's arm tubes with bugs before the match even began.
- Heroic Host: To a colony of Life Energy eating beetles.
- In the Hood: In part II he adds a hooded coat to his wardrobe.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: With just a tap, he can put bugs inside you to eat you from the inside out and they grow in size depending on how much chakra is given!
- No Mouth: His mouth is almost always concealed.
- Not So Stoic:
- He gets quite upset (although he doesn't show it much) when people ignore him, fail to recognize him or leave him out of things.
- And his inability to let go of the fact that he was left out on the Sasuke Retrieval Mission that still haunts him every day for the next four years and counting.
- In the anime fillers, he's shown to be visibly (but understandably) freaked out by anteaters and insectivorous plants.
- OOC Is Serious Business: During the "Laughing Shino" episode, when he eats a poison that forces him to laugh uncontrollably, Naruto immediately realizes that just the fact that Shino is laughing means that something is wrong with the food.
- Pest Controller: Shino's ninjutsu revolves around controlling Life Energy eating beetles that use his body as a hive.
- The Quiet One: He is notably quite quiet and for this reason let Kiba lead the team during the Chuunin Exams.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's The Stoic Blue to Kiba's brash and outspoken Red.
- Running Gag: That he is never recognized because his entire body is covered. Also his endless pouting over being left out of of the mission to retrieve Sasuke, and subsequent insistence that the mission was a failure because he did not come along.
Fool. Anko asked me to buy her some dango.
Voiced by: Rumi Ochiai (JP), Saffron Henderson
(EN, original), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
(EN, current), Olga Velasco (Spain), Ilia Gil (Latin America, original), Anabel Mendez (Latin America, current)
Leader of Team 8.
Kurenai is... well, a kunoichi, who has only recently become a jonin by the start of the series. We don't really learn that much about her in the first series, save that she's a rather cool lady who took Hinata under her wing, skilled in genjutsu and that she's perhaps involved with Asuma. The vast majority of her team's missions seem to not involve her. Her only plot-involved action was to get knocked around by Itachi Uchiha in a short battle, unless you count some of the filler
, she appears after the death of Asuma, where we learn that she's carrying his child.
Her hobby is having evening drinks.
Favorite phrase: "Glory like a violet blooming a single day"
- Break His Heart to Save Him: She uses this tactic twice during the Kurama Clan arc - once on Yakumo and once on her team. Needless to say, it backfires both times.
- Cherry Blossoms: Used in some of her genjutsu techniques.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With her childhood teammate Asuma.
- Cool Big Sis: To both her team and Shikamaru now.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Seems to have two sets of irises, with the outer irises being red while the inner ones are darker red.
- Faux Action Girl: She's a jounin like Kakashi and Gai...unlike Kakashi and guy, she gets one fight in the entirety of the series and that against Itachi who casually curbstomps her.
- Flower Motifs: Associated with red poppies, especially in the anime.
- I Want Grandkids: Her father pretty much said this to her when the Kyubi attacked the village and the other children where sheltered and barred from fighting.
- Master of Illusion: She's a Genjutsu specialist. Her illusion's are typically themed around plant life.
- Out of Focus: Well, her team in particular, she has never been seen together with said team since Shippudden started. She seems to have defected to Team 10 given the number of times she has appeared with Shikamaru.
- Parental Substitute: Served as one to Hinata after Hinata's father all but disowned her as his heiress.
- Satellite Character: Her entire character is centered around her relationship with Asuma, though she is seen interacting with her team a lot more in Part One.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: She and Asuma once or twice denied being a couple, but her pregnancy made the truth obvious.
- Shipper on Deck: Kurenai notices Hinata's crush on Naruto and convinces the blond to take the offered medicine.
- Someone to Remember Him By: She got pregnant not long before Asuma bites the dust.
- Team Mom: Kurenai acts as a motherly figure to her squad, especially to Hinata.
- Underestimating Badassery: During Naruto and Kiba's fight in the Chūnin Exams, Kurenai was firmly convinced that Naruto didn't stand a chance at beating Kiba, only to be shocked when he did just that. Nevertheless, she takes it in stride and acknowledges Naruto as a Worthy Opponent.
- The Watson: Regarding Ibiki, a trait associated with her being a new Jonin.
- Widow Woman: After the death of Asuma.
Voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo
(JP), Tom Gibis (EN), Jorge Saudinós (Spain), Javier Olguín (Latin-America)
Member of Team 10. Naruto's resident snarky Teen Genius
and the poster boy for Brilliant but Lazy
. The first the viewers see of Shikamaru is a person who complains about receiving any work at all. This, combined with the fact that his test scores were almost as low as Naruto's, cause others to initially think that he's a failure and a loser... a perception that Shikamaru doesn't mind in the least. It's only later that Asuma reveals that yes, Shikamaru is perhaps the smartest person in world, having scored over 200 on an I.Q. test disguised as a game so it wouldn't bore him
Though, like the rest of his clan, his primary jutsu is the ability to control or attack his enemies by extending his shadow, it's his intelligence that makes Shikamaru the first of the Konoha 11 to be promoted from Genin to Chunin. His fight with Temari impresses the Third Hokage even though he forfeited. His first task isn't an easy one, natch: it's to lead a team consisting of him, Naruto, Choji, Kiba, and Neji to go retrieve Sasuke.
While there, he engages Tayuya, a member of the Sound Four. He almost dies at her hands, but is saved by Temari. Later, after the mission is a failure, he considers quitting, but after some encouragement by his father, decides to stay the course. Through the filler arcs and his early actions in Shippuden, it's shown that he has decided to, if not step it up, then to at least shoulder some responsibility.
Shikamaru's best friend is his teammate Choji, although he also becomes extremely close to Naruto as the series progresses. Through this friendship, he helps Naruto to recover from a minor Heroic BSOD
following Jiraya's death, announcing that he's going to take on Kurenai's kid as his apprentice.
, he shows up in the first episode (with Temari, no less)
. He later becomes an Ascended Extra
and stars in his own arc. He first joins the newly-formed Niju Shotai (Akatsuki Hunters) with Asuma. There, he's forced to watch as Hidan, a member of Akatsuki, kills his sensei. This provokes him to chase down, engage Hidan and defeat him with surprising little efforts. After he returns, he decides that he's going to become a harder worker to honor Asuma's memory. He also was recruited by Tsunade to decode Jiraiya's final communication to the village. Later, he became acting general in Gaara's place of the Fourth Division with his friend Choji and Temari serving under him.
His hobbies are taking naps and playing shōgi against formidable opponents.
Favorite phrase: "What a drag"
Voiced by: Kentarō Itō
(JP), Robbie Rist (EN), Alfonso Manjavacas (Spain), Manuel Campusano (Latin America)
Member of Team 10. Choji is Shikamaru's best friend, and the two hang out together frequently. He's also fat
, but this is likely due to the fact that his clan's specialty is a jutsu that converts calories to chakra. He's constantly seen eating to shore up his chakra reserves. But he hates
being called "fat" (he prefers "chubby" or "big boned
"), so don't call him that.
As a child, we learn Choji was frequently left out of childhood activities and sometimes even bullied because of his large size. Shikamaru stood up for him one day, beginning their long friendship.
In battle, Choji relies on the Body Expansion Technique, which causes his body to both balloon in size and roll into a boulder shape. He then rolls around and tries to crush his enemies. He's later shown using variants on this move, such as the Partial Body Expansion, where he'll just expand his arms.
In the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, he is part of the team sent to retrieve Sasuke. He tangles with Jirobo, who has the upper hand for most of the battle. It's only after Choji uses the three Food Pills of the Akimichi Clan — a move which nearly costs him his life — that he can gather enough strength to beat him. In Shippuden
, he helped his team defeat Hidan and Kakuzu after they killed Asuma. When the war started, he was shown as a member of the Fourth Division with his best friend Shikamaru, Temari, and Gaara.
His hobby is buying and eating snacks.
Favorite word: 'meat'
- Acrofatic: He might be on the heavy side, but he's still a ninja.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Nowhere as much as Naruto, but he still was picked on for his size until Shikamaru stood up for him and he became a member of Team 10.
- Animal Motifs: Butterflies.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: One variant of the Akimichi clan's Body Expansion Technique.
- Badass: He always had his moments, but like the other Konoha 12 he truly becomes one during the fourth great ninja war.
- Badass Beard: Cultivates an impressive one between the end of the war and the final chapter.
- Babies Ever After: With Karui.
- Bait and Switch: When he reunites with Naruto after the Time Skip, Naruto calls him chubby and an angry expression appears on his face. It looks like he's going to attack Naruto, but he's actually looking at an ink tiger Sai sent to attack them.
- Balloon Belly: Worked into his fighting style.
- Battle Aura: Two, one due to Calorie Control which sports him wings, and the other from Naruto who gives him a cloak.
- Berserk Button: He has a lot:
Choji: Fat!? I'm big boned!
- Do not steal the last piece of meat or the last chip under his nose;
Choji: The last bite! The end of the meal, the most precious morsel of meat. I won't let any one take the last piece away from me!
- Do not insult his sensei;
- Last but not least, DO NOT INSULT SHIKAMARU!
Choji: I can't forgive you for calling me fat! But even more than that… Not just for stealing the last chip… or calling me fat… most importantly I won't forgive anyone who insults my best friend!
- Be the Ball: His Expansion Jutsu which turns him into a what amounts to a human wrecking ball.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's normally pretty affable, but do not push his afore-mentioned berserk buttons. Jirobo found this out the hard way. Moreover, he was the first rookie to be shown killing anyone on screen.
- Big Eater: Of course. Justified trope, though, for his fighting style.
- The Big Guy: Uses physical attacks more than the other Konoha Eleven.
- Bishonen Line: The chilli pill has him lose thirty pounds and gain some pretty wings. His calorie control jutsu does the same thing for him after the timeskip.
- Brains and Brawn: With Shikamaru. He's the Brawn who uses his power-style jutsu to mow down the enemies.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: After Choji defeats Jirobo, allowing Naruto, Kiba and the rest of the retrieval team to continue on, he staggers to a tree and sags against it in a very moving death scene. Right after he collapses, a blue butterfly passes Shikamaru, who looks dismayed. Doubly significant in that Choji's name means 'butterfly', and that is the form that his supposedly fatal final attack takes: glowing butterfly wings of chakra.
- In Shippuuden, Choji achieves this form without pills, and it enables him to defeat his undead sensei. It also symbolizes Choji's growth as a person; indeed, the Akimichi clan's oath, which clan members take as a coming-of-age ceremony, uses the symbol of a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis and taking flight.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: At least in part 1. If you make him angry, he will ultimately become a badass.
- Cowardly Lion: Mostly in part one, but still has some attributes of this in part two.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The chakra pills his family gave him before the mission to retrieve Sasuke. Each powers him up a lot, but start giving him massive pain. The red pill is supposed to kill him, but it didn't.
- Deadly Upgrade: The soldier pills, which give significant power, but cause intense pain.
- Determinator: Don't let him being big-boned fool you. He never gives it up. Especially when his friends need him.
- Elemental Punch: Like Hinata his Butterfly Bullet Bombing is of the Pure Energy variety, and is made up of his chakra wings.
- Facial Markings: A spiral on each cheek, he also gets markings under his eyes when he goes gigantic.
- Food Pills: With some overlap with Bottled Heroic Resolve, near the end of part 1 in order to defeat Jirobou Choji has to use the dangerous three colored Food Pills to give him enough power to win his battle.
- Formerly Fat: In the alternate universe of the Road to Ninja movie.
- Generation Xerox: Like the other members of his team, he shares a similar appearance to his father Chouza in both looks and ability.
- Gentle Giant: Kinda dim and always bottomless, but a really loyal and kind friend. Unfortunately, his kindness gets him into trouble in the battle with Asuma.
- Heir to the Dojo: Choji is slated to become the 16th Head of the Akimichi clan after his father.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Shikamaru.
- Hot Wings: His Calorie Control jutsu gives him a pair of butterfly wings that look like they are made of blue fire.
- I Am Big Boned: Or just chubby (which heavily implies being overweight, but never tell him that). This is his argument against being called fat, though it's justified in Part II especially after using his calorie control which shows he's got a Heroic Build under his fat.
- Irony: He's a chubby Acrofatic tank, and yet his name doesn't sound hulking...
- Lightning Bruiser: After taking the third pill against Jirobo, he is able to outpace him in his Level Two State and defeat him in three moves.
- Lost Food Grievance: DON'T take his last chip.
- Manly Tears: Is one of the weepier male shinobi and has a tendency to let his emotions run away with him.
- Meaningful Name: "Choji" means "butterfly", and his fight against Jirobo sees him gain butterfly wings made of chakra.
- Mighty Glacier: Excellent strength and stamina for his age group, but somewhat lackluster speed. Until he takes the final pill against Jirobo, that is.
- Nice Guy: Often regarded as the nicest and most sensitive of the Konoha 12, along with Hinata. Unfortunately he might be a little too nice for his line of work.
- Official Couple: With Karui in the Distant Finale.
- Pair the Spares: With Karui.
- Power Gives You Wings: Butterfly wings to be precise, a mark of the Akimichi Clan. The first time he needs a Deadly Upgrade. Second time he is able to do this without the use of pills, a symbol of coming of age.
- Power Palms: Has taijutsu technique like this fittingly themed after a sumo wrestlers open palm slap.
- Power Perversion Potential: His main power is to expand his body parts... Need I say more?
- Prehensile Hair: He can make it long and sharp to enhance his Rolling Attack.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: the red to Shikamaru's blue.
- Rolling Attack: His signature move to which he transforms into a ball, upgraded into a razor ball during the Sasuke Retrieval Arc and uses his hair as said razors in Shippuden.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Wears one in Part 1.
- Serious Business: The last piece of beef or chip.
- Size Shifter: In part 2 he gains the ability to increase his size.
- Stout Strength
- Super Mode: Choji has one aptly called Butterfly Mode where he gains wings and turns his excess body fat into pure chakra.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- In his first encounter with Kakuzu he wasn't able to even harm him with his Super Open Palm Slap, but his rematch with Kakazu is very one sided and ends with Kakuzu crushed like a bug underneath his fist.
- Before that, he beat Jirobo all by himself - The only other ninja to defeat a Sound Five member by themselves was Neji.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chouji was seldom seen without a bag of chips in Part I. Completely vanishes in Part II.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Shikamaru and Choji are this in the Road to Ninja movie.
- What Were You Thinking?: Refuses to hit the zombiefied Asuma after Shikamaru provides an opening, despite the fact that not only his team mates but Asuma himself are telling him to attack. Asuma immediately counterattacks.
I mean, how sad is it if flowers don't ever bloom? For all we know, that little bud... it might become a flower more beautiful than a Cosmos.
Member of Team 10 and the "Ino" in the Ino-Shika-Cho. Her family runs a florist shop, although her father is also a ninja; she is often seen working there between missions. Personality-wise, she's something of the temperamental type. She and Sakura used to be best friends, but after they learned they both had crushes on Sasuke and
Sakura had developed quite an inferiority complex in regards to this and Ino herself, they decided to become bitter rivals. This rivalry lasted until they met in battle in the Chunin Exams, when, after some clever plotting on Ino's part and some grit and determination on Sakura's part, they tied, and their friendship was restored.
Much like her teammates, Ino specializes in one technique: specifically, the Mind-Body Transfer Technique. This jutsu allows the user to switch consciousness with another human, but causes their own body to pass out for the duration. It also has a fairly short range.
At the end of the first series, Ino sees Sakura's growth and decides to become Tsunade's apprentice as well. When Shippuden
begins, she has already become a medic, but her medical knowledge isn't quite enough to save Asuma from dying later on, which causes her quite a bit angst. She then goes with Shikamaru and Choji to defeat Kakuzu and Hidan and avenge Asuma. Later she was shown as a member of the Fifth Division as the Shinobi Alliance faces off against Madara.
Her hobby is shopping.
Favorite phrase: "The many meanings of flowers"
The "kings" are the unborn children who will grow up to take care of the leaf.
Leader of Team 10, Asuma Sarutobi is the son of the Third Hokage. In his teen years, he had something of a falling-out with the old man and decided to travel abroad. He ended up in the guard of the Daimyo of the Fire Country, where he evidently accumulated a large bounty. Later, he returned to the town and became a Jonin.
In combat, Asuma relies on his Wind Chakra, which he channels through his trench knives. This allows him to hit targets from a distance. He can also use his omnipresent cigarettes to generate flames, which can cause third-degree burns.
In the first series, he really doesn't do much besides play Mr. Exposition
, take care of his team, get knocked around by Kisame, and get accused of dating Kurenai.
, he plays something of a more expanded role. While Naruto is trying to learn the Wind Rasengan, Asuma gives him the advice needed to complete the first stage of his training. In an anime-only filler
arc, more of his backstory with the Twelve Ninja Guardians (only alluded to in the manga) is elaborated upon. Later, he and Shikamaru mobilize as part of the Niju Shotai (Akatsuki Hunters), where he engages Hidan in battle. Though he successfully decapitates his opponent, it's to no avail: Hidan is immortal. Hidan then completes the ritual that allows him to kill Asuma. It succeeds. After Shikamaru kicks some serious ass in his memory, we learn that Kurenai is carrying his child.
Kabuto later resurrected him with Edo Tensei. He managed to resist the Mind Control
as he fought Team 10, and once defeated he compliments them as he's sealed away.
His hobby was to play shōgi.
Favorite phrase: "Not right now!"
I want to show I can be a splendid ninja as well even if I do not have ninjutsu or genjutsu... I want to prove it to the whole world!
Voiced by: Yoichi Masukawa (JP), Brian Donovan
(EN), Fernando Cabrera (Spain), Carlos Castillo (Latin America)
In his early childhood, Rock Lee was frequently picked on by his peers because of his inability to use Ninjutsu or Genjutsu. He believed himself to be worthless and to have no chance at becoming a ninja at all. Then, he met Might Guy, who convinced him to train exclusively in Taijutsu (physical combat), at which he became a master.
Rock Lee's first appearance in the series is one where he challenges Sasuke. After flawlessly brushing aside Naruto's counter-challenge, he proceeded to just-as-easily beat down Sasuke, before Might Guy stops him just short of a dangerous technique. Later, he tries to save Sakura from the attacking Sound Ninja in the Forest of Death, but was defeated and this helped trigger Sakura's inner change.
His has the most heartbreaking battle in the Chunin Exams. He is matched up against the psychotic Gaara of the Desert, who has never once bled or even successfully been hit with an attack. Though he puts up an extremely good fight, the strain from his overuse of the Eight Chakra Gates allows Gaara to crush Lee's arm and leg; Gaara probably would have killed Lee too, if not for Guy's interference during the exam, and Naruto's and Shikamaru's later in the hospital. This injury keeps him out of action for a long time, and is initially thought to be career-ending - it is not until much later that we see him undergoing surgery performed by Tsunade, and even later that he returns to action.
His first fight after his surgery is against Kimimaro of the Sound Five (during the Sasuke Retrieval Arc), who he begins fighting to give Naruto time to catch up to Sasuke. Though he again puts up a good fight, his injuries still have not recovered enough to allow him his full strength. Fortunately, Gaara shows up and saves him.
Rock Lee is as fast as the human body can tolerate, and is a master of the Strong Fist school of martial arts. He also possesses the forbidden ability to open the Chakra Gates, which removes the body's limits and makes him even more overwhelming, but with high risks and physical costs.
Rock Lee has a very low tolerance for alcohol, becoming a savage master of Drunken Boxing
after just one sip.
, he appears in the first major arc, backing Squad 7 up as they try to rescue Gaara from the hands of the Akatsuki. He does not do much, but he does beat a clone of himself. When the Shinobi Alliance formed divisions to fight against Akatsuki, he was placed in the Third Division under Kakashi and alongside his teacher Guy and Sakura.
Additionally, he is the star of his own children's spinoff series, Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth
His hobbies are his and Might Guy's intense taijutsu training regimes.
Favorite words: "Endeavour", "Guts", and "Love"
- Adorkable: Lee is possibly the biggest dweeb in the entire setting, but heavens if he isn't the sweetest guy.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Bullied for his inability to use chakra properly.
- Always Second Best: The main reason for his tendency to fall under the Worf Effect, as mentioned below. He's not weak, far from it - he just ends up fighting people who are stronger than he is. He mentions this in his backstory by pointing out that despite all his work to try and beat Neji, Hard Work Hardly Works.
- Always Someone Better: In regards to Neji.
- Ass Kicking Pose: LOVES these.
- Badass: He was able to defeat Sasuke without using any basic technique from his first appearence, not to mention his fight with Gaara before his defeat.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Specializes in martial arts.
- Battle Aura: Both with his Gates and with Naruto's passing on a chakra cloak to him. His power increase to the point where he can blitz Madara and kick him in half!
- Berserk Button: People criticizing or insulting Guy.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Nicknamed "Bushy Brows" by Naruto.
- Breakout Character: Rock Lee gained so much popularity, he starred in his own side-manga.
- Broken Aesop: Lee's existence is pretty much a Broken Aesop. While the story teaches that hard work can trump talent, Lee (the epitome of hard work in the series) constantly gets overshadowed by those with inherited abilities.
- The most egregious example: Lee's hard work, while it did make him strong, didn't stop him from being a joke compared to Naruto or Sasuke (both of whom had powerful inherited abilities). During the Ten-Tails battle though, after Lee borrowed the Nine-Tail's chakra, he manages to bisect THE Uchiha Madara. That's right. In the few seconds that Lee obtained power for free, he managed to level up from being an insect to someone who would've defeated Madara if it weren't for the latter's Edo Tensei regeneration. Hard Work Hardly Works to the max.
- Bruce Lee Clone: Down to sharing a birthday with the late martial arts master.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: The smallest sip of alcohol will send Lee into a drunken frenzy of kung fu.
- Charles Atlas Super Power
- Combination Attack: Has one with Guy where they attack with a powerful jump kick from each side of an enemy.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Curb-Stomp Battle: While his losses later on aren't exactly Curb Stomp Battles, his introduction fights with Naruto and Sasuke certainly were.(He was the curbstomper).
- Deadly Upgrade: The Chakra Gates.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Actually reversed, it's Rock Lee who beats Naruto in his first encounter, but when Naruto picks up on Lee's Training from Hell and ends up developing a respect for him.
- Determinator: Lee doesn't know how to give up. Deconstructed as he took his determination so far that he nearly destroyed himself after his fight with Gaara. He spends much time after that in depression over his injuries saddened because for once he is unable to control the outcome of a risky surgery required to heal him. The whole experience taught him to control his habit of over doing it.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: While powered up by Naruto's kyuubi chakra he landed a hit that actually bisected Madara.
- Dogged Nice Guy: He acts like this towards Sakura in Part 1. He somehow manages to combine both types of this trope by being very grandiose in his tokens of affection, but doesn't seem to mind just being friends with her.
- Drunken Master: Even alcoholic chocolate can induce this in Lee.
- Dual Tonfas: Has them in the anime, but Kisame breaks them.
- Dynamic Entry: Like his sensei.
- Emotional Bruiser: He's one of the strongest taijutsu users and the most emotional.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Huge black irises.
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: He makes a lot of noises when he fights. Somewhat understandable given how Lee was inspired by Bruce Lee.
- Game Face: After opening the third gate.
- Generation Xerox: Intentional. He modeled himself after Guy after Guy became his teacher. In the finale, he's shown training a student who looks almost identical to him. However, it's unclear as to whether or not this new student was Rock Lee's son or simply someone emulating him in the same what that he emulated Guy.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Not just for protecting hands but also for binding his enemy for his Spinning Piledriver.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Most triumphant example in the series. While considerably powerful, one of the strongest in his age group, and leagues above where he was originally, his accomplishments pretty much just serve to further emphasize, and utterly pale in comparison the power-ups that all of the series' strongest characters either have inherently, or are just randomly given.
- Honorifics: Uses them on everyone except his teammates.
- Hot-Blooded: Both in personality and in fighting style.
- Hurricane Kick: His Leaf Whirlwind and Hurricane techniques.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Most obviously during his first fight with Gaara. No-one actually believes ditching a few weights will make a difference - until said weights hit the floor hard enough to shake the entire arena.
Kakashi: (deadpan) Gai, you are too much.
- Instant Knots: Lee's Initial Lotus jutsu starts by binding the enemy with his Hand Wraps Of Awesome.
Lee: The lotus of Konoha blooms twice.
- Japanese Politeness: In a world of characters who typically do not even bother with proper honorifics, Lee is one of the few who addresses everyone properly and politely.
- Large Ham: Especially when he and Guy are in the same scene.
Guy: Ha! But there's a big difference between knowing and being absolutely certain.
Lee: Wise words, Guy Sensei! So simple and yet so full of profound meaning!
- Launcher Move: His Leaf Rising Wind technique.
- Lightning Bruiser: He uses his speed to great advantage against Sasuke, noting that Sasuke's Sharingan is useless if his body cannot keep up with Lee's speed.
- Love Freak: Lee and Guy are some of the kindest and most polite people in the setting and are easily brought to tears and preach the way of Youth.
- Magically Inept Fighter: Being unable to use ninjutsu or genjutsu, Rock Lee makes up for it with his great skill in taijutsu.
- Manly Tears: In instances such as when he hugs Guy or when he finds Neji's dead body.
- Martial Pacifist: Lee would rather avoid unnecessary fighting, if possible.
- Meteor Move: His Lotus techniques.
- Nice Guy: Friendly and nice to everyone. He even has a "nice guy' pose.
- Oblivious to Love: Tenten has shown subtle signs in being interested in him, but he seems to be naive to them.
- Panty Thief: In the Road to Ninja movie.
- Plot-Powered Stamina
- The Rival: Early on, he seems to form rivalries easily. He has a long going attempt to surpass Neji, and later Sasuke, over the differences in natural talent versus his own hard work ethic. He also seems to adopt a more friendly rivalry with Naruto, seeing them both as hard working types who are striving for similar goals.
Lee: Among strong people exists genius types and hard-working types. If your Sharingan is a genius-type from the Uchiha blood, I am simply a hard-working type who has mastered only taijutsu.
- Speed Blitz: Once he takes off his weights and/or opens one or more on the Eight Gates he starts doing this.
- Spinning Piledriver: His signature Primary Lotus.
- Spinoff: Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth.
- Swiss Army Weapon: In the movie his new weights are composed of several metal bars that he can assemble into a Simple Staff, Nunchaku and a Chain Whip.
- This Loser Is You: The author stated that both him and Sakura were meant to symbolize human weakness.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Rock Lee is inordinately fond of spicy curry.
- Unconscious Objector: The end of his fight with Gaara.
- Weak, but Skilled/ Unskilled, but Strong: Lee can be either. He's either weak as a ninja with no jutsu whatsoever who makes up for it with taijutsu mastery, or someone who uses physical prowess to make up for a lack of ninjustu skill.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Rock Lee is so wise and mature in comparison to the other Konoha 12 that Masashi Kishimoto says he's the only one that doesn't need anymore Character Development.
- Worf Effect: Never won a fight (except against a doppelganger) since he curb stomped Sasuke and Naruto in his debut. Still manages to impress both characters and readers even when he loses. Hilariously enough, one reader submission to the Naruto fanbook in a section about people who are like Rock Lee says "''My friend always starts fights with people he can't beat. He is Rock Lee!"
- The fillers are a little more kind to him though. He even got an impressive showing against one of the Quirky Miniboss Squad in the third, fourth and sixth movies.
- Worf Had the Flu: Fought Kimimaro very soon after surgery. Whether he would have been able to defeat him at his 100% is another matter.
- Worthy Opponent: It's revealed that Neji grew to respect him in a flashback that takes place at the time of the Third Hokage's funeral.
- To Gaara too. Rock Lee challenges and defeat The Kazekage in the final chapter of Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth.
All this time, I've been called a genius, so I cannot lose. I can't let down those who believe in me!
Child voice: Keiko Nemoto (JP), Wendee Lee
(EN), Jorge Saudinós (Spain), Brandon Santini (Latin America)
Neji is hailed as one of the foremost prodigies of his time — indeed, he is perhaps the greatest practitioner of the Hyuga's fighting style that there is. If he weren't a member of the branch family, he'd probably be heading up the clan someday. However, his pedigree combined with his knowledge of past events fills him with a seething hatred of the main family.
In the Hyuga clan, there is a branch family and a main family. The branch family exists to serve the main family and tend to their needs. When a branch member is young, a seal is placed on their forehead to keep them from trying to kill the main family (also, it will prevent any foreign ninja from operating on their body and learning the Byakugan's secrets).
When Neji was young, his uncle Hiashi — Hinata's father — killed an intruder who aimed to capture Hinata. Since said intruder had some prestige in his home country, said country began calling for the head of his killer. The uncle was certain that they would attempt to steal the Byakugan's secret, but Neji's father Hizashi went in his place - first, since he had the seal, and second, to defy his clan's tradition and fight against his
fate. Neji didn't know about the last part for a long time, though, and for years he resented everyone in the Hyuga clan.
Neji's life experience, at first, makes him something of a Straw Nihilist
, as he constantly mentions that fighting fate is useless. Interestingly enough, this doesn't stop him from fighting his fate
. He clobbers his cousin Hinata in the Chunin Exams, and is matched against Naruto in the first round of the finals. While he expects an easy win, Naruto quickly proves more resilient than he thought, ultimately defeating him. After Naruto's victory, he convinces Neji that fate can
successfully be fought, marking a positive change in his character.
He later shows up in the Sasuke Retrieval arc, as part of the team led by Shikamaru. He engages Kidomaru of the Sound Four, who fights him using ranged attacks. He takes some serious, life-threatening damage in the process, but he manages to win.
Neji is a close-range specialist. He uses the Byakugan, which gives the user nearly-360-degree vision and the ability to see the flow of chakra in the human body, to hit pressure points, blocking off his opponent's access to their chakra. He can also create an impenetrable shield of chakra by rotating quickly; this is normally a technique reserved for the main house, but Neji reverse-engineered it.
, he is the only member of the Konoha 11 to become a Jonin. He later tags along with his team to back up Squad 7 in the Rescue Gaara Arc. In the 4th Shinobi World War, he is part of the Second Division, considered to be the Shinobi Alliance's up-close fighting division, along with Hinata, Karui, and Kurotsuchi.
His hobby was meditation.
Favorite phrase: "Flying leap" which refers to making rapid progress in something.
- The Ace: Became a Reconstruction because he learned from Naruto's example of a failure being able to succeed, he acknowledged that a genius shouldn't be slowed down either.
- Aloof Big Brother: Well he's her cousin, but he otherwise fulfills this trope to Hinata, being cold and distant and highly critical of her abilities.
- Animal Motifs: Neji has a strong symbolism with birds, first displayed by comparing his situation to being like a bird trapped in a cage. The symbolism continues while training his eyes; he counts birds and always misses a single one until he reaches a revelation, admitting that Naruto's words saved him from himself, and is finally able to count the entire flock. Later when he dies, a single bird is seen flying away freely but is then struck down by the same attack that killed him. The symbolism culminates in his death's hardening the resolve of Naruto, who out of the ashes of despair creates a giant phoenix Animal Battle Aura to carry the army to attack the Ten Tails.
- The Atoner: This is the main reason he's so protective of Hinata after his Heel-Face Turn
- Awesome by Analysis: Learned and mastered a technique that only the clan head and clan's heir are allowed to know on principle alone. Not only that, but in the anime, he actually improves upon it.
- Badass: He's the prodigy of the Hyuuga Clan, and the first member of the Konoha 11 to become a jonin.
- Because Destiny Says So: Being raised as a branch member of the Hyuga clan and given a curse mark to establish inferiority, he was led to believe his role in life was determined without his choice. He pushed this belief onto others labeling those he deemed "failures" until Naruto defeated him and proved a failure can succeed as well, and even Neji himself.
Neji: People are judged by their true nature. It is the way of the world. That is why we have an elite, and that is why we have outcasts. We can change our physical appearance and improve our skills with training and study, but ultimately, we are judged by what we cannot change. What can't be changed must be endured. We are who we are, and we must live with it.
- Big Brother Instinct: Has shades of it over Hinata after his fight with Naruto, fitting given he promised his father he would always protect her.
- Big Brother Mentor: Neji becomes this to Hinata and becomes an aid to her training, eventually teaching her the Sixty-Four Palms.
- Bishōnen: Compared to his other male peers, Neji has softer features, longer hair, and a graceful way of carrying himself about.
- Brainy Brunette: He's highly intelligent.
- Breaking Speech: Tries this on Hinata and Naruto, saying there is no point in struggling against what you were born to do; both of them turn it back on him by pointing out that he ''is'' doing exactly that.
- Break the Haughty: Being defeated by the once in-universe poster child of "failure" completely changed his views about life (which, to be fair, he wasn't himself completely convinced of deep inside).
- Broken Ace: He is called a genius whose kekkei-genkai is the strongest of all of his clan and the Konoha 12, and even Kakashi says that his fighting ability is initially beyond Sasuke's, but his painful past and feelings of confinement constantly weigh down upon his heart. Then he loses to Naruto and learns the truth of his father's death leading him into a brighter future.
- The Bully: Initially started out as this, with his hostile attitude toward his cousin Hinata and his teammate Lee. He's straightened out and becomes a Nice Guy after Naruto defeats him in the Chunin Exam.
- Cain and Abel: Even though're not actually siblings, they still fulfilled these roles in the beginning, with Neji being the Cain to Hinata's Abel.
- Combination Attack: He and Hinata can combine their Hand Blast to double its power.
- The Comically Serious: After his Heel-Face Turn, he frequently acts as a straight man foil to Guy & Lee's insane enthusiasm, however sometimes Neji proves to be Not So Above It All leaving Tenten as the Only Sane Woman.
- The Cynic: At first. He is more than willing to remind anyone of their place in the world judging those he deems weak and doesn't think positively of his own future due to the cursed mark he lives with, even though he desperately fights against it. Naruto proves his way of belief wrong and turns him in the opposite direction.
- Death by Irony: After spending his life trying to escape the fate of the Branch family to serve the main family, he's Impaled with Extreme Prejudice by branches to save the main family. Much like his father he remarks he didn't do this out of duty to his superiors, but out of love for his family.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He comes to respect everyone around him after his defeat from Naruto. No longer discouraging anyone and acknowledging belief in oneself. In particular, he respects Naruto mostly because Naruto inevitably saved him from a path of darkness.
- Disappeared Dad: Hizashi, who actually decided to die willingly for the sake of his village and to fight against his destiny.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: He dies in Naruto's arms.
- Dragged into Drag: Courtesy of Rock Lee's skits in the spinoff, Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth.
- Exotic Eye Designs: No pupils, as a Byakugan user.
- The Fatalist: He was this initially, believing no one can fight the fate they were born with (not that it stopped him from trying).
- Finger Poke of Doom: The focus of the Gentle Fist style, striking pressure points to disable and even kill the opponent.
- To Lee, a talented shinobi who doesn't believe it possible to defy fate. When Guy asks him what his dream is, he declines to give an answer, and Lee offers to answer before he's called on.
- Freudian Excuse: Much of his hatred for the main house and belief in destiny is the result of his belief that they were responsible for his father's death. Once he realizes the truth, he revises these beliefs.
- Gag Penis: Implied to have this in the spin off show, much to the despair of Lee and Naruto.
- Generation Xerox: He, like his father, also dies protecting a main family member, who in turn was prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for something else (Hiashi was prepared to die to avert a war with the Cloud Village, and Hinata was prepared to give her life to save Naruto).
- The Gift: Even within the Hyuga he was born with the greatest natural talent for his clan's kekkei genkai.
- Go Out with a Smile: He dies smiling, satisfied that he was able to protect Hinata and Naruto, the latter he feels indebted to as he changed his fatalistic views.
- Hand Blast: The Empty Palm technique which is a palm thrust which launches a long ranged wave of invisible chakra.
- Heel-Face Turn: After losing to Naruto.
- Heir to the Dojo: Inverted. Neji is exactly this type of character but he is explicitly not allowed to inherit the Hyuuga clan. Before his Heel-Face Turn, much of his bitterness stems (indirectly) from this.
- Heroic Resolve: Double Subverted, it appears he may give up against Kidomaru but taking a lesson from Naruto, he was still able to fight on and eventually defeat Kidōmaru, because he remembered what Naruto had said to him about a genius like himself being capable against the odds.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He dies protecting Hinata (who was protecting Naruto) from an incoming wood projectile in the battle against the Ten-Tails.
- Hypocrite: Pre-Character Development, he is firmly convinced that You Can't Fight Fate, yet he fights like hell against his own. Thanks to Naruto and Hinata, he snaps out of it.
- I Die Free: As he dies, the Caged Bird Seal, symbol of his servitude to the main branch of the Hyuga clan, fades away.
- Insufferable Genius: He was this in part one.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Courtesy of Tobi's wood jutsu.
- Japanese Honorifics: Always refers to Hinata as Hinata-sama in the Japanese version ("Lady Hinata" in the English version) after his Heel-Face Turn.
- Jerk Ass: Especially to Hinata, Lee, and Naruto, prior to his Heel-Face Turn.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: After getting beaten by Naruto, Neji still remains stoic, but is more warmer to his comrades.
- Killed Off for Real: The only one of Naruto's closest inner circle to die in the big climactic war. To drive the point home, the marking of the branch family disappears from his forehead which only happens when a Hyuga dies.
- Kimono Is Traditional: His outfit in part 2.
- Kubrick Stare: Does this quite often, which led to some characters saying that he is scary.
- The Leader: Levelheaded type for Team Gai internally, and the first of them (and the whole Konoha 12) to make Jonin. Despite this Lee is obviously Guy's favorite student and protege, and Shikamaru or a Team 7 member will call the shots when the 12 get together.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Part II gives him longer hair and keep his handsomeness.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: In the alternate universe of the Road to Ninja movie.
- Made of Iron: Kidomaru had to enter the second state of his curse seal after piercing Neji in the back with several kunai didn't work. Then Neji was able to take 2 arrows right through his body and still defeat Kidomaru.
- Magical Eye: The Byakugan's powers include...
- Man in White: Especially in part 2.
- Mr. Fanservice: He has many female fans.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: This is played Up to Eleven in Rock Lees Spring Time Of Youth and of course Hilarity Ensues. He constantly kicks and sends Naruto flying every time he comes near Hinata. He also furiously tells her that he would never accept her and Naruto together, because it's an infamy to him.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: During his fight with Hinata in the Chūnin Exams, he doesn't pull any punches and actually has to be stopped from killing her outright in a fit of rage.
- Not So Above It All: Especially in Rock Lees Spring Time Of Youth.
- Not So Different: Despite everything he said to Hinata, deep down he also wished to be acknowledged by his clan. He would have never admitted it until Naruto defeated him, though.
- No Swastikas: His Swastika-shaped seal was edited into a simple X-cross in the anime.
- Pet the Dog: Even at his most jerkish, Neji still respected Lee in his own cold aloof way. He was about to rescue him after his fight with the Sound genins when Sasuke woke up to curb stomp Zaku.
- Preasskicking One Liner: Often says "You're in range." before unleashing a devastating hand-to-hand attack.
- Pressure Point: The Gentle Fist style his clan uses focuses on striking these very quickly.
- Prophet Eyes: Inherent to all members of the Hyuga Clan.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Lee, saying that his graduating from the academy despite not being able to use ninjutsu or genjutsu is not special, but merely unusual. Also, Hinata and Naruto regarding, in his eyes, their senseless attempts of trying to prove themselves. Naruto is the one to really convince him otherwise.
Neji: These eyes of mine show me many things. One thing they've shown me… people's limitations are set, fixed, and unchangeable. Only a fool wastes his time trying to become something he can never be! The only destiny that everyone shares… is death.
- Restraining Bolt: The cursed seal on his forehead.
- Sacrificial Lion: Obito killing him shows just how serious he's getting.
- Screw Destiny: Towards Kidomaru at the end of their fight.
Neji: No one can determine… another's destiny.
- Shipper on Deck: Subtly pushes Naruto and Hinata together and even lectures Naruto before his death that his life belongs not only to himself but to Hinata as well. This however is turned on its head in the Gag Series spinoff Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth where he is a Knight Templar Big Brother with a hint of a crush which is of course Played for Laughs.
- Sibling Rivalry: Between him and Hinata, in the beginning.
- Smug Snake: In the beginning. He coldly beats Hinata, and informs her, Naruto, and Lee that they can't change fate.
- The Stoic: He becomes even more composed after his Heel-Face Turn.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Neji's signature techniques the Eight Trigrams 64 Palms and Rotation are Secret Arts passed down only to the leader of the family and the main family respectively, but Neji reverse engineered them and began to teach them to Hinata.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Gentle Fist which provides examples of...
- Super Reflexes: Combined with his rotation jutsu using chakra he has an impenetrable form of defense.
- Super Senses: Among other abilities, the byakugan allows nearly 360 degree vision and telescopic view.
- Superpowerful Genetics: The Byakugan, which seems to be the most dominant of all bloodlines seen so far extending to every member of the Hyuga Clan.
- Taking the Bullet: He shielded Hinata and Naruto with his own body, losing his life in the process.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Neji let go of his misdirected animosity of Hinata and became something of a big brother to her.
- True Sight: The Byakugan is capable of seeing through illusion as well as other visually disabling jutsu like the Hidden Mist technique.
- Vein-O-Vision: The byakugan lets the user see the chakra network, the better to strike pressure points therein.
- Warrior Therapist: Perfectly fitted this trope before his Heel-Face Turn. He nearly had Hinata give up before their match by simply pointing out her nervous body language.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Most notably in Part 1. Maintains a very composed and stoic disposition and it is here where we learn of his vivid awareness of fate and destiny and his avid belief in that no one can escape theirs until his defeat by Naruto, revising his life philosophy to believe that, while people may never truly escape their predetermined fates, those who strive for their dreams are strong.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Naruto's words to him, "You can do it too because unlike me you're not a failure."
- You Can't Fight Fate: Believes this until his Heel-Face Turn, although Naruto argues that if he truly accepted his destiny, he wouldn't have tried to kill Hinata.
Neji: The curse represents a mark of the bird in a cage… It is… the symbol of being tied down to an inescapable destiny.
- After his Heel-Face Turn, he's not entirely sure if someone's path can be changed, but those who try and pursue their own dreams are strong.
Neji: Even if my enemy is far stronger, even if my body should fail me, I cannot lose, there is a reason I cannot lose… …I was always known as a genius so I cannot lose. Especially for the sake of those who believed I was a genius being my weak and powerless self.
- X-Ray Vision: The Byakugan allows the user to see into and through their target's clothes, skin, flesh, etc, allowing for better pinpointing of chakra nodes.
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
(JP), Danielle Judovits
(EN), Olga Velasco (Spain), Gaby Ugarte (Latin America, Part I), Leyla Rangel (Latin America, Part II)
Weapon specialist. Like her teammates, she is vaguely Chinese-themed. That's pretty much it.
The anime filler
attempts to develop Tenten more. She seems to have an attraction to pretty boys
and falls for a few. Even one that later turned out to be a girl!
She also forms a comedy team
with Rock Lee during a number of filler appearances, always playing the Straight Man
, she goes with her team to help rescue Gaara. In the Fourth Great Ninja War, she was placed in the First Division under Darui and with Choza Akimichi
Her hobby is fortune-telling.
Favorite phrase: "A hundred shots, a hundred bull's-eyes"
Look deep into my eyes and accept my sincere apology! Also notice my handsome manly features!
Leader of Team Guy, Might Guy
is the epitome of hard work. Through blood, sweat and tears, he became one of the strongest ninja there was in Konoha, becoming a rival of Kakashi in the process. He serves as both Kakashi's opposite and his Unknown Rival
. Like his student, he's a pastiche of Bruce Lee
His number one student is Lee. While their interactions are often very... odd, to say the least, it's very clear that Guy cares deeply for his student, and views him as the son he never had. He taught him how to open the Eight Chakra Gates (which isn't exactly a cakewalk).
In the first series, Guy shows up during the Chunin Exams stopping Lee from using a forbidden jutsu on Sasuke. He later saves Lee from Gaara during their fight, and later saves Shikamaru and Naruto from Gaara. He saves Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma from Itachi and Kisame. He also later takes Sasuke to the hospital after his fight with Itachi. And he convinces Lee to get a risky operation that would allow him to return to active duty as a ninja.
, his team backs up Kakashi's team as they try to rescue Gaara. He fights a clone of Kisame — for some reason, he doesn't remember the Akatsuki member. He opens the Sixth Gate and kicks his ass. Later, while accompaning Naruto on a hidden island in Lightning Country, he goes up against the real
Kisame (again), and defeats the missing-nin in one hit by opening the 7th Gate. Even though he didn't completely recover from the fight, he was assigned to the Third Division for the war, under his rival Kakashi, and with his student Rock Lee and Sakura.
His hobbies are repeated side-steps, and hitting focus mitts.
Favorite phrase: "Overflowing youth!!"
- Aesop: Hard work is fucking awesome! While Lee categorically falls into Can't Catch Up territory, Guy, through hardwork and determination alone, is able to unlock ridiculous powers that are sufficient to basically obliterate the single most deadly ninja ever to have lived. With a single kick. It takes Game Breaker powers on both sides for either party to survive the aftermath.
- Always Someone Better/Always Second Best: His regards to Kakashi, who handed him his first major defeat when they took the Chunin exam together.
- Animal Battle Aura: His Afternoon Tiger technique takes this trope and runs with it. With the Eighth Gate, he gets Evening Elephant to add to that. And then the Night Guy. He also has a technique called Night Phoenix in some games which is a single, strong punch set on fire that takes the shape of a bird.
- Ascended Extra: He was always the most prominent Jonin after Kakashi, but while he gets A Day in the Limelight in the first arc of Part 2, his big fights don't come until towards the end of the series.
- Awesome McCoolname: His name is intended to draw vibes of 'Mighty Guy'. But dig in even deeper, and you realize that his name is an amalgamation of the first names of Nobuyuki Hiyama-voiced Brave Series protagonist: Might Senpuuji (from Might Gaine) and Guy Shishioh.
- Badass: He is one of the strongest characters in the series, to the point where even a smug asshole like Madara Uchiha acknowledged him as a Worthy Opponent, even after Madara was at the pinnacle of his strength after becoming the Juubi's Jinchuuriki.
- Badass Bookworm: Not to the extent of guys like Kakashi and Shikamaru, but he's a natural battle tactician and a pretty good strategist. There's a reason that even after becoming a Jonin, Neji still takes orders from him.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He prefers to strictly uses his Strong Fist style in combat. He's only ever used a weapon once.
- Berserk Button: Hurting or threatening his students is a very bad idea.
- Giving him a thumbs down in response to his 'Nice Guy' pose (thumbs up), Obito learned this the hard way during their Chuunin Exam.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows:
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: He opened all Eight Gates to strike a decisive blow against Madara, but he shatters his own leg in the process. He would have died, as that's what would normally happen if you open all Eight Gates, but Naruto managed to save him with his new-found healing abilities, though the leftover damage to his body was so severe that he was wheelchair bound for the rest of his life, and had to keep wearing a cast on the kicking leg due to how much damage it had.
- Bruce Lee Clone: Complete with nunchaku and Funny Bruce Lee Noises.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: As quirky as his personality is, Guy ranks amongst the Leaf's most effective and dangerous Shinobi. Itachi of all people even warned Kisame not to underestimate him in a fight.
- This is proved repeatedly in Part II. Guy's strong enough to defeat Kisame all on his own, stun the Six-Tailed Slug, Saiken while dissipating its corrosive mist, overwhelming Madara's Susano'o with Hirudora (Afternoon Tiger), going toe to toe with Jinchuriki Madara (even though it did nothing, still), and finally opening the Eighth Gate and catching Madara off guard! Not just that, using Evening Elephant, he turns Madara into a ragdoll who can barely retaliate.
- Captain Obvious:
- Subverted actually. During his fight with Kisame, he comments that Kisame only thinks that the sword he carries is his weapon. This is because the person he fought wasn't really Kisame, but a mook posessed by Kisame. This is also why he didn't recognize him.
- His comment on the gourd could also be a subversion, seeing as the gourd itself could turn into sand, something that completely changed the outcome of Rock Lee's battle with Gaara.
- Career-Ending Injury: The Eighth Gate's toll is so great that even when Naruto manages to save him at the last possible moment, it can't repair the damage done to his leg, therefore rendering him to a wheelchair for life
- Charles Atlas Super Power: To emphasize: While most ninjas around him summon giant sharks, call lightning into their palm or have all-seeing vision, Gai remains among the most powerful ninjas in the series and one of his most powerful moves is... a punch. It is so hard that it compresses the air into a giant exploding tiger head. And it's not made of chakra at all. That's right, he shapes the air into the visage of a giant roaring tiger out of pure physical strength. To utterly ridiculous levels when using the Eighth Gate technique Night Guy, which allows him to kick hard enough to distort space according to Madara.
- Lightning Bruiser: How a pure hand-to-hand specialist competes in a world of ninjutsu.
- Love Freak: Part of his obsession with the "Springtime of Youth."
- Manly Tears: Will stream tears at the drop of a hat someone's "youthfulness" inspires him.