The Living MacGuffins of the series, at least in Part II. The Tailed Beasts (尾獣, "Bijū") are humongous, primal creatures known for their extraordinary power and immense amounts of chakra. Most of the Tailed Beasts seen in the series have been sealed into human hosts in order to contain their destructive power — all the beasts are, if not actively malevolent, then at least dangerously feral. It's stated in the series that although the Beasts have massive amounts of power, they cannot use it effectively because of their lack of intelligence — the human hosts (also known as "jinchuriki") are able to make better use of the Beasts' power than they themselves can. Much later, it is suggested that these perceptions of the beasts' natures may not be entirely true, which contributes largely to their bitterness and disdain towards the humans who use them.During the wars, the various ninja villages experimented with trying to use the Tailed Beasts as weapons of war. However, the Beasts proved to be too unstable to use directly. A last-ditch effort to make use of the Beasts involved sealing them into the bodies of humans, giving those humans access to the Beasts' power while also suppressing their influence, but this too was ultimately deemed a failure, as it was not a foolproof method and had damaging effects on the psyche of the host. Most hosts are lonely people who hate the world; according to various members of the Akatsuki, when some of the hosts were captured, the people in their villages were glad to be rid of them. (Naruto considers the term "jinchuriki" to be a slur, and sympathizes with the others.)The presence of a Tailed Beast usually has some sort of effect, physically and mentally, on their hosts. If the host dies, the Beast does too - at least temporarily - so the Beasts usually have some method of protecting the host's life without the host's knowledge. The reverse is also true — the removal of the spirit will result in the death of its host. The Beasts seem to have the ability to take control of the host's body during periods of extreme stress, anger, or weakness.Akatsuki's mission is to collect all nine of them. When they capture a Beast, they seal it into a large statue. Akatsuki's stated mission is to use the Tailed Beasts to start wars and then immediately quell them, creating a monopoly on shinobi labor that would then drive the other Hidden Villages out of business. From there, Akatsuki can easily take over the world. However, certain Akatsuki members have other designs on the Beasts — Pain and Konan want to use the Beasts' incredible amounts of chakra to fuel a jutsu that is roughly equivalent in power to a nuke, which they will then use to teach the world about the foolishness of fighting. Tobi, meanwhile, wants to collect the beasts to recreate the ten-tails and use it to enact his "Moon's Eye Plan.".Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
open/close all folders
Tailed Beasts and their Hosts as a whole provide examples of...
- Animal Battle Aura: All of them except Shukaku have provided their jinchuriki auras of red charka in the shape of their bodies.
- Animalistic Abomination: All of them greatly resemble living animals, except the Ten Tails, who falls between the lines of Eldritch Abomination and Humanoid Abomination. However, even it has a beast form: a ten-tailed rabbit.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: All of them are gigantic exaggerated versions of living animals, except for the Ten-Tails.
- Breath Weapon: All of the Tailed Beasts are capable of charging extremely dense spheres of Yin and Yang chakra called Tailed Beast Balls in front of their mouths, which can either be fired directly as a sphere or ingested and fired as a beam.
- Eldritch Abomination:
- Despite looking like gigantic versions of various animals, they are masses of chakra that drive unexperienced hosts into a mad frenzy.
- The Ten Tails, from which they originate from, is closer to this trope in description.
- Breath Weapon: The Tail Beast Ball, which can fired as focused orbs or beams of chakra that cause devastating explosions enough to wipe massive mountains off the map without losing momentum.
- Immune to Mind Control: One of the advantages of a Jinchuuriki that has a good relationship with the Tailed Beast sealed inside them, is that they can counteract genjutsu without requiring another person to be present, as the Tailed Beast can disturb its Jinchuuriki's chakra flow to break the genjutsu.
- Jagged Mouth: When their jinchuriki uses the Version 2 Chakra Shroud their mouths appear as jagged outlines.
- Kaiju: Sideways. All of the Tailed Beasts are giant versions of living animals and have the typical stomp-smash behavior of this trope but are thoroughly different in origins, motives, and raisons d'etre.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Most of them have mixes of different animals or human characteristics.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The tailed beasts can give their jinchuuriki the ability to create arms of chakra (or in Shukaku's case, sand).
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: From the Two-Tailed Cat to the Ten-Tailed Beast.
- Pure Magic Being: The Tailed Beasts are literally solid, living, sentient masses of chakra.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: When any of the Tailed Beasts' jinchuuriki enters Version 2, their chakra cloak turns opaque black-and-red, and in the case of Naruto, their Tailed Beast assumes control of their body and rampages.
- Resurrective Immortality: When Kushina tells Minato to seal Kurama back inside her so that it will die along with her, he refuses since eventually it would resurface. Presumably, the same reasoning applies to the other Tailed Beasts.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Subverted; the beasts aren't actually evil, just hostile toward humanity after years of being treated as weapons.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: A jinchuuriki carries a Tailed Beast and dies if it's extracted.
- Shrouded in Myth: Many of the Tailed Beasts have legends surrounding them in-story, such as once being human.
- Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism: The Tailed Beasts seem like your standard giant animals and/or Mix-and-Match Critters, with Eight and Nine-Tails having upper bodies which become more humanoid, with the Ten-Tails being some sort of Humanoid Abomination.
- Super Mode: If the host and beast have a good enough relationship the host can use their chakra to give themselves an aura of chakra and fuse their blood with the beasts chakra to begin to create a new body around their own, thereby taking partial qualities of the beast, or even fully becoming the beast itself. Kurama seems to have a different effect on Naruto, but why hasn't been revealed.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Excluding the Ten-Tails, when they were young they were adorable◊.
- Telepathy: They can use this to communicate with one another from within their Jinchuuriki. They can also communicate this way with their Jinchuuriki.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Heavily implied to be the reason for their destructive and monstrous behavior, Kurama and Shukaku in particular.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Despite the Tailed Beasts' extreme power, as well as their high intelligence, they are unable to focus their power. Due to this, as Akatsuki demonstrated, even a full Beast such as Isobu (the Three-Tails) can be easily defeated. The only way for them to focus their powers is when sealed inside a human. As shown by Naruto and Bee, with the former being able to overpower five controlled Tailed Beasts at the same time and the latter keeping his intelligence and using ninjutsu in his full Tailed Beast form.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: With the exception of the One Tail note , the Eight Tails and the Nine Tails, the fate of the Tailed Beasts after being freed from Sasuke's Chibaku Tensei is never brought up, despite their importance to the plot as equivalents of weapons of mass destruction and that the majority of the humans would still see them as weapons, wild animals or a mix of the two, what would result again in a forced imprisonment. Kishimoto himself was vague when asked on the matter, saying, "I would hope they're living happily ever after...they're leading comfortable lives."
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: The Four-Tails reveals that the beasts find humans abhorrent for treating them as mere animals, using them as tools in their wars and never even giving them the courtesy of learning their names.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Despite being potentially destructive forces of nature, the Tailed Beasts just want to be free. The reason they hate humans so much is because far too many have either enslaved or imprisoned them.
- Yank the Dog's Chain:
- All the effort that went to releasing the Tailed Beasts from Obito goes straight to hell after Madara is revived.
- After finally being freed from Kaguya, Sasuke proceeds to cast Genjutsu on them and trap them in Chibaku Tensei satellites.
- And some decades after Sasuke releases them, they end up being targeted by Momoshiki Otsutsuki.
- Youkai: Shukaku, Matatabi, Gyūki, and Kurama are based on animal-like youkai from Japanese myth: tanuki, nekomata, ushi-oni, and kitsune respectively. The others are original creations by Kishimoto.
The Tailed-Beasts and their Jinchuriki are:
Voiced By: Hiroshi Iwasaki (JP), Kirk Thornton (EN), Eduardo Garza (Latin America)
- My motto is absolute defense. That is what I, Shukaku, pride myself on.
Host: Bunpuku; Gaara.The only Tailed Beast to be assigned an actual name instead of just referred to by what animal it looks like, at least, up until chapter 568. A gleefully malevolent sand spirit. According to the (untrue) legends of the Hidden Sand Village, Shukaku was once a man, a corrupted monk who was sealed into a tea kettle. It was sealed into Gaara upon his birth by Chiyo on orders from the Fourth Kazekage, using Gaara's mother as a sacrifice.In contrast to Gaara's sullen, morose personality, Shukaku is wild and incoherent, like a drunkard. (This fits in with typical depictions of tanuki in Japanese mythology, and "Shukaku" itself can translate as "drunk".) Like all Tailed Beasts, it has an immense bloodlust and hunger for battle, and relishes a chance to kill opponents.Shukaku has the ability to levitate sand via the Magnet Release, which it does to protect Gaara from all harm. This prevents even self-inflicted injuries - Gaara had never known physical pain before the series. Gaara's famed sand shield is actually Shukaku's doing until the Shukaku is extracted from Gaara's body, and it is revealed that the sand manipulation is actually bestowed upon Gaara by his mother's love and protection. When angry or in a bloodlust, Gaara can give himself over to Shukaku, allowing the spirit to take its true form. In this form, it is so large that Naruto was forced to summon Gamabunta in order to defeat him. Shukaku is associated with the Wind element.Shukaku manifests itself on Gaara's body by way of dark, raccoon-like circles that appear around his eyes.Deidara was assigned to capture Shukaku. He does so, defeating Gaara and transporting his body to an Akatsuki hideout to extract the spirit. Although Shukaku was successfully extracted, resulting in Gaara's death, Chiyo used a forbidden jutsu to repent her old sin and revive Gaara at the cost of her own life.As once stated by Gyūki, Shukaku has a titanic grudge against Kurama, in response to judging the power of the Tailed Beasts by the number of tails they have. Kurama, having the most tails, and Shukaku, having the least, causes the fox to view itself as the strongest and the tanuki as the weakest. Ever since it made that scathing insult, Shukaku goes into a vicious rage when it hears so much as the mere mention of its arrogant rival.Later, as with Kurama, Shukaku comes to respect humans again, more specifically Gaara.
- Ax-Crazy: The worst example among the Tailed Beast for this sort of behaviour, acting like a battle-happy drunkard.
- Blow You Away: Uses Wind Release to fire wind bullets.
- Breath Weapon: While it can use the Tailed Beast Ball, it has never been seen doing so aside from a filler episode in the anime. During its fight with Naruto and Gamabunta, it used the Wind Release: Drilling Air Bullet instead.
- Canis Major: Even if they're akin to racoons, tanukis are actually canines.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Uses Earth Release and it's made of sand after all.
- Driven by Envy: It hates Kurama for viewing it as an inferior due to its single tail.
- Fat Bastard: Shukaku appears to be grossly obese, fitting with the legend of the tanuki it's based on.
- Jagged Mouth: Shukaku's fangs are an extension of his mouth.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Turns out it actually warned Gaara to not fall asleep in early childhood. And despite not really liking the old priest Bunpuku, it was kind enough to say that he was like the Sage of the Six Paths.
- Large Ham: Shukaku speaks bombastically, much like a drunkard would.
- Laughing Mad: When it's having fun during a battle, it laughs like a maniac. See Large Ham.
- Mighty Glacier: Shukaku declares that it prides itself on its defense.
- Power Tattoo: The markings on his body are Cursed Seals.
- Retcon: As mentioned above, Shukaku was originally believed to be a monk that turned demon with no connection to the Nine-Tails. In fact, it wasn't until Part II that Shukaku was even referred to as the One-Tail, instead being referred to as Shukaku the Sand Spirit. Hell, even its name is worth mentioning because before their past was revealed, Shukaku was the only Tailed Beast referred to by its given name. Turns out Kishimoto didn't forget about this. Years before Gaara, Shukaku was in fact sealed within a priest. It was sealed for so long that the villagers came to see the priest as Shukaku and thus the old belief.
- Selective Magnetism: Its ability to manipulate sand is caused by its use of Magnet Release, a mixture of both its wind and earth-based chakra. Its chakra allows Naruto to use Magnet Release.
- Tanuki: What it's based on, down to its rivalry with Kurama, a kitsune.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Changes its attitude towards Bunpuku and Gaara, even giving a Declaration of Protection to the latter.
- Tsundere: Shukaku helps Gaara seal Madara because it wants to, not because Gaara asks.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Tailed Beast Ball, though doesn't use the technique in the manga.
Gaara of the Desert
Voiced By: Ryoko Shiraishi (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)
Host: Yugito NiiThis Tailed Beast was sealed into Yugito Nii, a kunoichi of the Hidden Cloud Village. It is said to be a spirit of vengeance - the living ghost of a twisted human being. It can breathe fire. Yugito can transform into Matatabi, but this didn't help her against Hidan and Kakuzu, who defeated her in a battle with massive collateral damage. (It's unknown which one, specifically, was assigned to capture her.) The spirit was later extracted, and Yugito died from the procedure.Yugito and Matatabi returned in the Fourth Shinobi World War Arc alongside the other Jinchuriki, brought back to life under the control of Edo Tensei, with the cat resealed inside her. Killer B expressed his distaste when he saw one of his old role models being used like a chew toy.
Voiced By: Mie Sonozaki (JP), Wendee Lee (EN), Mónica Villaseñor (Latin America)
The host of the Two-Tailed Monster Cat, a jonin of the Hidden Cloud Village, who has since been captured and killed by Akatsuki in a mostly unseen battle. But Kabuto later resurrects her with Edo Tensei.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: Can extend her nails like a cat's claws, not unlike the Inuzuka clan's Four Legs technique.
- Action Girl: She proves to be one when we see her fight after being reanimated with Edo Tensei.
- Braids of Action: Naturally comes from being an action girl.
- Cat Girl: To a certain extent, given she's hosting a nekomata. She has Femme Fatalons and databooks tell her favourite food is milk.
- Hidden Buxom: Her clothes aren't baggy like Hinata's, but they still conceal her buxom figure.
- Homing Projectile:Her Mouse Hairball technique.
- Informed Ability: Like the 2nd Hokage, we hear a lot about how awesome she was, but sadly, Kakuzu and Hidan thrashed her off-screen. Having been brought back by Edo Tensei, it shows exactly why she earned the respect the Cloud nin had for her.
- Lightning Bruiser: She's one of the fastest Jinchuriki.
- Meaningful Name: Her last name, "Nii", means second in Japanese.
- Playing with Fire: She can launch fire attacks.
- Vapor Wear: As Naruto and Killer B discover when they target the chakra reciever rod in her chest, she doesn't wear a bra or sarashi.
Voiced By: Shigenori Soya (JP), Matthew Mercer (EN)
Former hosts: Rin Nohara, Yagura.This giant turtle-like monster is the only Tailed Beast seen so far who was not sealed into a host when Akatsuki captured it. However, the Beast has had at least two hosts at one point, Rin Nohara of Konoha, made a Jinchuuriki in order to destroy Konoha; and a young man from the Hidden Mist Village named Yagura, who was the Fourth Mizukage. However, Yagura was apparently mind controlled by Tobi and killed afterward, so the Beast was free by the time it was encountered in the main story.) A Filler arc was centered around this creature, with the Leaf Ninja trying to seal it, only to be stopped by Guren and her henchmen repeatedly, eventually foiling the mission altogether. As such, the Akatsuki tracked it down, where it was easily defeated by Deidara and Tobi, who were assigned to capture it. Tobi claimed to have knocked it out in one punch, although Deidara contests this assertion.
- Making a Splash: Uses Water Release.
- Mind Rape: In the anime, the mist it created caused genjutsu-like hallucinations.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: Of a turtle and a crab with shrimp-like tails. Also has human-like arms and hands.
- Rolling Attack: Its main means of offence on land is coiling up and rolling into an opponent.
- Turtle Power: It's a giant three-tailed turtle.
Voiced by: Miyu Irino (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)
The Mizukage previous to Mei, Yagura was feared in his time as a powerful jinchuruuki who had complete control of his Tailed Beast, the Three Tailed Turtle. It was under his reign that the barbaric era known as the Bloody Mist took place, where to graduate the shinobi academy the students were forced to butcher their fellow classmates. It was revealed that Yagura was under Tobi's mind control when this era took place, and he was merely a pawn in his game. It's unknown how he died, but the Three Tails he previously played host to emerged in the wild by the time of Naruto Shippuuden.Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei. Tobi then uses his body along with the rest of the revived jinchuuriki as the new Six paths.
- Berserk Button: Being called small or a kid. It would not be surprising if he was voiced by Romi Park.
- The Caligula: He was feared for his brutality, but it was eventually revealed that he was really under mind control courtesy of Tobi.
- Flower Motif: Has a green camellia perched on his staff. Filler character Yukimaru shares a similar affinity with the flowers as well as appearance and ability to control the three tails.
- Four is Death: The blood purges took place under Yagura's rule and he was the fourth person to bear the title of Mizukage, although he was being mind-controlled by Tobi.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An evil looking stitched scar under his eye.
- Hooks and Crooks: Carried a large hooked staff.
- Informed Ability: Was stated to be one of the four people who possess complete control over a bijuu, however, when revived by Kabuto he does not display any additional abilities compared to the other jinchuuriki aside from those of his bijuu. In fact, it makes it even more shameful that he was under control by Tobi by apparently a simple genjutsu for an extended time as bijuu are able to break the genjutsu's hold on their vessels.
- Magic Mirror: Can summon a water mirror which creates reflections of enemies to attack with Fearful Symmetry.
- Making a Splash: He was good at water style jutsu.
- Older Than He Looks: He looks very much like a child and Naruto mistakes him for one when they meet, but he's an adult and was Mizukage.
- Puppet King: Was under Tobi's mind control all along.
- Simple Staff: One end is hooked while the other has a flower on it.
Voiced By: Hiroki Yasumoto (JP), Unknown (EN)
Host: RoshiThis Beast, referred as the Four-Tails, was sealed into the body of Rōshi, an elderly man from the Hidden Rock Village. His host was able to manipulate lava, likely a power gained from this beast. Rather than letting its presence cause him scorn and hate, Rōshi left his village to try and better understand the beast. However, Rōshi would eventually run into Kisame Hoshigaki of the Akatsuki and engaged in a lengthy battle with the shark ninja. Unfortunately, although he was a very tough opponent, Rōshi was defeated, and later died when the Four-Tails was forcibly extracted from his body. Kisame, who was assigned to capture it, complained of having a difficult time with it, but ultimately succeeded. One of the art books revealed the Four-Tails to be a large, red gorilla. The beast manifests itself in Roshi's hair.In the Shinobi World War Arc, he makes his debut, re-sealed inside an Edo-Tensei revived Rōshi. When Tobi makes Rōshi transform into the Four-Tails, it manages to catch Naruto in its teeth and swallow him whole. However, Naruto ends up in the Four-Tails's mental prison. The Four-Tails has a condescending view of all humans, believing they view the Tailed Beasts only as sources of power. He wishes to be referred to only as Son Goku, the name given to him by the Sage of the Six Paths himself. Son reveals the Nine-Tails' true name: Kurama. When Naruto shows him kindness, he's intrigued that a human seriously wants to befriend him.
- Ambition Is Evil: Towards humans wanting to steal his power to further their own goals.
- Berserk Button: Absolutely HATES being called the Four-Tails.
- Cool Crown: The horns on his head are shaped like a crown, based on the one that Sun Wukong wears in most artistic depictions.
- Dishing Out Dirt: One half of Lava Style.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Though most people would disagree in his case.
- Expy: The Oozaru. His real name is even Son Goku.
- Four is Death: Subverted. Appears to be the beast that kills Naruto by eating him, but Naruto ends up going inside his mental prison instead.
- Large Ham: Brags about himself and his "nobility" if given the opportunity, with a HUMONGOUS BELLOWING voice.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: What he thinks about humans in general because of their What Measure Is a Non-Human? attitude towards the Tailed Beasts.
- I Have Many Names: Ignoring his hated human-given name, the Four-Tails has 3 other titles; King of the Sage Monkeys, Handsome Monkey King, and finally Great Sage Equaling Heaven ("Seiten Taisei").
- I Just Want to Be Free: Has a powerful desire to run free and get as far away as possible from human affairs.
- Magma Man: Bestows the use of Lava Style on his host and is himself capable of lava attacks.
- Pride: The Four-Tails has a very, very deep-seated sense of pride about himself, and will immediately lash out at anyone who disrespects him, even if it's an honest mistake. However, he's more polite and slightly more forgiving than the Nine-Tails.
- Playing with Fire: One half of Lava Style.
- Shout-Out: He has many to Dragon Ball and Journey to the West. His real name, is Son Goku (The Japanese name of Sun Wukong), he gives himself the same nicknames that Sun Wukong would like to give himself, one of his attacks is named after said Monkey King's birthplace. On top of that he also has an Oozaru-like appearance and the name of his jinchuriki is Roshi.
Voiced by: Shigenori Soya (JP), Chris Edgerly (EN)
The elderly jinchuuriki to the Four-Tails, Roshi long since abandoned his village before the series on a journey of self discovery to try and understand the beast inside him. He was captured by Kisame offscreen and subsequently killed when his Tailed Beast was sealed by the Akatsuki. Kabuto later resurrects him with his Edo Tensei technique and Tobi uses him as one of his own Six Paths.
- Badass Beard: He sports an impressive, well-trimmed red one.
- Badass Grandpa: Most jinchuriki have their Tailed Beast sealed inside them in their early childhood (Naruto and Gaara are exceptions), and he says he's been one for over forty years.
- Dishing Out Dirt: One half of Lava style.
- Elemental Armor: Can give himself an outer shell of molten rock.
- Exotic Eye Designs: After being revived with Edo Tensei, has both a Sharingan and a Rinnegan implanted into him by Tobi to use as part of his Six Paths.
- Go Out with a Smile: Before his spirit fades away Roshi makes peace with Son Goku and apologizes for treating him so terribly when he was alive, with his last words being an almost friendly farewell to the Great Ape.
- Magma Man: Uses lava style jutsus.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: He gave Kisame, one of Akatsuki's most powerful members, a good fight. And as Roshi controls Lava, he was at a disadvantage seeing as Kisame is a water user.
- Playing with Fire: Other half of lava style.
- Walking the Earth: He abandoned his village on a journey of self discovery to try and understand the beast inside him.
Voiced By: Mie Sonozaki (JP), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN)
Host: HanOne of the lesser-mentioned beasts and hosts, being one of the first jinchuriki to fall to Akatsuki. They were hardly mentioned until their official debut in the manga's Chapter 420 and Episode 205 of Shippuden. The most recent art book provided the fandom with a glimpse into their lives and the nature of their Tailed Beasts. The Five-Tails is a horse-dolphin hybrid that belonged to a very tall, grey-eyed man from the Hidden Rock Village covered in a a strange suit of blood-red armor named Han, who used the power of his Tailed Beast to fight using steam. Han was subdued by Akatsuki, and had the Five-Tails extracted from him, resulting in his death.In the Shinobi World War Arc, Han and the Five-Tails appear in the flesh for the first time, now under Tobi's control from a combination of Edo Tensei and the Six Paths of Pain. Tobi tries to force Han to transform into the Five-Tails, but the beast attempts to resist him, which the Eight-Tails discovers much to his chagrin. In extreme pain, it seems to be on the verge of begging for help. Displeased with the beast's resistance towards him, Tobi reverses Han's transformation and dials it back to a partial state.
- Cool Horse: Or goat. The horns are kind of misleading.
- Heroic Willpower: Was the only one of the captured tailed beasts to resist Tobi's control enough to try to attack him, though Tobi quickly restrained it again.
- Horn Attack: One powerful enough to wound Gyuki pretty badly.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: A combination of a Dolphin and a Horse.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Kokuō is also the name of Raoh/Ken-Oh's Cool Horse from Fist of the North Star.
- Use Your Head: Has a very powerful ramming attack that uses the beasts horns to gore the enemy.
Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto (JP), Patrick Seitz (EN)
The jinchuuriki to the Five Tailed Horse, Han is one of the most mysterious of the previous jinchuuriki. Kabuto later ressurects him with his Edo Tensei technique and Tobi uses him as one of his own Six Paths.
- Cool Mask: One to match his Power Armor.
- Exotic Eye Designs: After being revived with Edo Tensei, has both a Sharingan and a Rinnegan implanted into him by Tobi to use as part of his Six Paths.
- Lightning Bruiser: He may be the biggest of the reanimated jinchuriki, but he's very fast.
- Nice Hat: His steampunk ninja look wouldn't be complete without it.
- Powered Armor: He wears a suit of steam-powered samurai armour.
- Steam Punk: Steam powers his armor.
- Super Strength: He can out muscle Naruto in his Nine Tailed Chakra mode thanks to his Steam Armor.
- Use Your Head: His Tailed Beast form has a powerful ramming attack with its horns.
Voiced By: Miyu Irino (JP), Unknown (EN)
Host: UtakataThis is a Tailed Beast that was formerly sealed in the Mist ninja Utakata. At some point in the past, Utakata's former master Harusame once tried unsuccessfully to extract Saiken from his body, killing Harusame in the process. Utakata had sworn not to use the Tailed Beast's powers ever again, but is forced to do so to in the process of rescuing his student, Hotaru, from a man named Shiranami who had activated the destructive jutsu fused with her body. Soon after resolving this conflict, Utakata is found by all six paths of Pain, which quickly overwhelm and incapacitate him. Though it isn't shown, Saiken is extracted from his body by Akatsuki, and sealed into the Gedo Mazo. Kabuto later resurrects Utakata with Edo Tensei, and Saiken is resealed in its former Jinchuriki, during the 4th Shinobi World War. Interestingly the Six-Tails seems to have a decent relationship with Utakata; willingly giving Utakata access to his full 6-tail form, presumably without resistance.
- Blob Monster: Its body is more amorphous than those of the other Beasts, it being a slug and all.
- Covered in Gunge: Its body is covered in corrosive ooze.
- Deadly Gas: Its main long-range attack is expelling corrosive vapour.
- Hollywood Acid: The beast specializes in expelling highly corrosive alkaline in the form of slime and vapor.
Voiced By: Kenichi Suzumura (JP), Michael Sinterniklaas (EN)
The Jinchuriki of the Six Tailed Slug, Utakata is a distant missing ninja from the Hidden Mist. There was a filler arc focused on Utakata. Utakata's former master, Harusame, once tried unsuccessfully to extract the beast from his body, killing Harusame in the process. Utakata had sworn not to use the beast's powers ever again, but is forced to do so to in the process of rescuing his student, Hotaru, from a man named Shiranami who had activated the destructive jutsu fused with her body. Soon after resolving this conflict, he is found by all six paths of Pain, which quickly overwhelm and incapacitate him. Though it isn't shown, presumably he is then taken away to have the tailed beast extracted from his body, dying in the process. Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei. Tobi then use his body along with the rest of the revived jinchuuriki as the new Six paths.
- Adaptation Expansion: He is a posthumous character in the manga, but in the anime he gets a filler arc dedicated to him.
- Badass Fingersnap: How he activates his Boom Bubble technique.
- Berserk Button: The title "Master". Also, when someone with a large amount of power inside them is treated as a tool (A Jinchuriki like himself/Hotaru with the Tsuchigumo Kinjutsu inside her), he gets angry.
- Bubble Gun: his primary fighting style.
- Broken Pedestal: His master, whom he killed when he tried to extract the beast from his body. After spending a considerable amount of time thinking about the person his master was, it's subverted when he realizes that his master did it for his sake.
- Bittersweet Ending: Finally accepts Hotaru as his student, and gets over his hatred of his master, but then he encounters Pain in the forest, leading to...
- Deal with the Devil: Kinda. He asks Saiken for power to help him stop the Tsuchigumo Kinjutsu from going off, who seems to willingly obey with no objections.
- Do Not Go Gentle: In the anime at the end of the Tsuchigumo Kinjutsu Arc, he unfortunately loses a fight for his life when Pain finally locates him. Initially, the way the fight is portrayed in the anime makes it look like a Curb-Stomp Battle, but in a later installment of Adaptation Expansion, when his Edo self meets Naruto again, it's revealed that this wasn't a Curb-Stomp Battle as implied onscreen. We're shown more of that battle, and it reveals Utakata held his own against Pain before Pain gained the upper hand and blasted him with his Asura Path.
- Doomed by Canon: At the point in the anime he appeared, he isn't one of the three Jinchuriki Akatsuki has yet to capture.
- Floating in a Bubble: His specialty.
- Kimono: He wears a simple blue yukata.
- Hollywood Acid: He can secrete a film of acid in his transformed state.
- Improbable Weapon User: Attacks with a bubble blowing-wand. Not to mention his main power is blowing bubbles.
- Idiot Hair: Has a small one.
- Making a Splash: His Soap Bubble Ninjutsu
- No Body Left Behind: One of his techniques; he captures an opponent in a bubble that fills with ink and pops, killing them and leaving no traces of them.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Saiken is never seen, save for one brief scene at the climax of the Tsuchigumo Kinjutsu Arc. Not a friend per se, but Utakata's relationship with it is better than others.
- Paper Talisman: Unlike Bee and Naruto's Power Tattoo seals his more closely resembled an ofuda.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His left eye is always covered.
- Sleepy Head: The first thing we see him do after leaving Hotaru in Team 7's hands? Take a nap.
- Shoo the Dog: Tries to get Hotaru to leave him alone, largely because he doesn't believe he can be the master she wants.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His Boom Bubble technique.
- Walking the Earth: After killing his master, Harusame, Utakata flees his village and lives a vagabond-lifestyle avoiding Kiri ANBU, until he encounters Hotaru.
Voiced By: Kenichi Suzumura (JP), Steve Blum (EN)
Seven-Tailed Host: FuuThe Seven-Tails is a rhino beetle with six wings and a tail, whose host was a teal-haired, orange-eyed girl (Kishimoto decided her gender at the last minute) from the Hidden Waterfall Village.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: It's a giant bug rhinoceros beetle.
- Giant Flyer: It can fly due to six of its tails being wings.
- Flight: The sole Tailed-beast with wings. As a consequence, its host can fly.
- Lucky Seven: It calls itself this when conversing with Naruto.
- Man Bites Man: the Bug Bite technique.
- Metamorphosis: When it was young it resembled a seven-tailed grub. Centuries later it resembles a beetle.
Voiced by: Ryoko Shiraishi (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN)
The Jinchuuriki to the Seven Tailed Beetle, Fū was a ninja from the Hidden Waterfall village and enjoyed a slightly more favorable life as a Tailed Beast holder, not enduring prejudice so much as being told not to stray from her homeland. She was not boasted as a Jinchuuriki like other great military powers, with her true abilities kept secret and Fuu placed under careful protection. However, she grew bored of her sheltered life and started acting on impulses so she could leave her village and participate in a Chunin exam. Eventually, her secret got out, and unfortunately for her, the Akatsuki caught wind of it and extracted the Seven-Tails, cutting her life short before she could enjoy real freedom. Kabuto later resurrects her with his Edo Tensei technique and Tobi uses her as one of his own Six Paths.
- Action Girl: The anime gives her a chance to show it.
- Adaptation Expansion: While a posthumous character in the manga, she gets a filler arc dedicated to her.
- Ambiguous Gender: Even Kishimoto said he was unsure of the character's gender when he designed her, only settling on female just before the artbook was released.
- Bare Your Midriff: To almost Stripperific extends.
- Blinded by the Light: Her Secret Scale Camouflage Technique.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: Her village leaders were quite cautious about Fuu gracing her presence outside the village due to the risk she could be exposed as a Jinchuriki and never left her alone for very long. But Fuu's rash choice to accept a summons to a Chunin Exam put her out in the open and resulted in her Jinchuriki status being leaked to Akatsuki spies gathering intel during the exams, which got passed to their superiors. The Akatsuki then came after Fuu, captured her, then extracted the Seven-Tails and killed her.
- Doomed by Canon: Her appearance in a pseudo-canon arc shows her alive and well long after the manga has come to an end. Since the anime itself was close to the big finale and the manga never went into much detail about her, this was an eleventh hour opportunity to showcase Fuu as a character and explain what caused her demise.
- Flight: Thanks to the power of the Tailed Beast.
- Genki Girl: In the anime, she has a strong wanderlust and plucky attitude. She acted out against her village's leaders so she could do more interesting things instead of being cooped up in the Hidden Waterfall Village all the time.
- One Steve Limit: Averted as she has the same name as one of Danzo's cronies.
- Power Gives You Wings: She usually manifests her Tailed Beast's power as wings for added maneuverability.
- Verbal Tic: -ssu
- Winged Humanoid: Since her Tailed Beast's tails are actually wings, she becomes this when they manifest.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is green.
Voiced By: Masaki Aizawa (JP), Matthew Mercer (EN)
Host: Blue B, Killer BeeThis Tailed Beast, one of the final two still uncaptured by Akatsuki, is sealed into a ninja from the Hidden Cloud Village. The host appears to be on good terms with the spirit, as they can work together to break genjutsu, and even converse casually outside of battle. Its seal manifests itself in the tattoo of a Tetsu (Iron) kanji. One of its horns was lost in battle when it attacked the Hidden Cloud Village and gored Motoi's father in the process, causing his death. A retaliated by slicing the horn clean off, which has yet to grow back - and may never do so.
- A Load of Bull: It has the head of an ox.
- Blank White Eyes: His eyes are permanently drawn like this (though they're actually slightly pink).
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: Despite having the option of freedom after the war, it chooses to return to Bee, admitting that it had gotten used to hearing Bee's terrible rapping.
- Combat Tentacles: Its tails are octopus-like tentacles.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: He has the lower half of a giant octopus.
- Meaningful Name: Its name, Gyuuki (meaning "ox ogre"), is another word for the Ushi-Oni, the kind of youkai it is based on.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: It's an ox with octopus tentacles
- Spin Attack: The Eight Tailed Twist, which can turn a vast swath of forest into a crater.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Combined with Lima Syndrome. Bee and the Eight-Tails have a strong respect for each other. To the point that when the war was over and the Eight-Tails was free to do whatever he wanted, it decided to be sealed back into Bee anyway.
- Straight Man: Serves as this for Killer Bee's goofy antics.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Originally, it was just as vicious and destructive as the Nine-Tails, but softened after Killer Bee befriended it.
Voiced by: Hisao Egawa (JP), Catero Colbert (main series), Keith Silverstein (Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals) (EN)
- First, I'm gonna float and fly like a butterfly, then I sting ya like a Killer Bee!
Host of the Eight-Tails and brother of the Raikage. A dark-skinned, light-haired muscular man with a penchant for rapping.Sasuke's Team Hawk, sent to capture his Tailed Beast, engaged him in battle, but he easily kicks their asses and artistically pincushions Sasuke. He then transformed into his full Ox form, but Sasuke subdued it with Amaterasu — or so it seemed. Turns out Bee pulled a fast one on him and escaped unharmed. He then goes off to take a vacation. When the Raikage (his brother) learned of his disappearance, he summoned the other Kage to a summit in order to discuss how to deal with the Akatsuki. They eventually reunite, and Bee was sent to an island turtle with Naruto in order to teach him how to draw more power from the Nine-Tails (and also to secretly keep them safe from Kabuto and Tobi, who want to capture their Tailed Beasts.) They soon learn of the Shinobi World War and manage to escape from the island and join the fight.Bee's skills were a great asset during the war: managing to fend off the combined might of a resurrected Itachi and Nagato, aiding Naruto in fighting the controlled Jinchuriki and fighting the terror of the Ten-Tails. Later Bee becomes the only Jinchuriki besides Naruto and Kushina to survive the direct extraction of a tailed beast but later gains Gyuki back when the tailed beast finds that he misses Bee's company.Two years later, Bee aids the rest of the shinobi around the world in fending off gigantic meteors, even operating the Lighting Village's giant laser gun. It is due to Bee's hesitation in vaporizing the moon that Naruto and company survive long enough to write "Mission Accomplished", thus inadvertently saving their lives. He later attends Naruto's wedding.Years later, an older Bee notes how boring it is to be by himself in his village and wishes to see Naruto.
- The Ace: Given that each of the chapters he appears in without fail has had him doing something awesome, funny, or both. Kishimoto even acknowledged that he created B to be this way because he wanted an interesting character who was also extremely powerful.
- All-Loving Hero: He's respected and known as a hero by the Cloud Village for being the first host to tame the Eight-Tails, whereas previously the Eight-Tails would go on rampages. Bee seems to also be able to befriend every giant animal on the Island Turtle and also effortlessly forgave Motoi for his attempt at killing him several years previously.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Averted. He's about as well-liked as they come. Played straight when he was a kid, though.
- Badass and Child Duo: At a young age he was paired with the Raikage. They were known as the A-B Duo, the self proclaimed strongest tag team. Bee eventually outgrew his child role and demonstrated his strength to his brother, which earned his trust to fight in the war.
- Bad with the Bone: He can manifest Gyuuki's skull and uses its horns to augment his Lariat attack.
- Bash Brothers: With A. Even though they aren't bros by blood.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Sasuke and company did not take him seriously, at first. They learned very quickly that being eccentric does not make one weak.
- Beyond the Impossible: He can transform into his Tailed Beast without going nuts. As in, the full on eight-tailed giant monster version and stay conscious. Before Naruto repeated the feat, this was thought to be impossible because all previous jinchuriki were either overcome by their biju or locked them away.
- Killer Bee on the other hand survives the extraction of the Eight-Tails, pulling the exact same move he pulled on Tobi; cutting off a tentacle and hiding inside for a while. This is noteworthy as he's the only jinchuriki to survive extraction without outside help of some kind.
- Big Brother Mentor: Towards Naruto.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's a big guy with great spirit and raps.
- Breakout Character: Besides Naruto, Bee proves himself to be one of the most popular Jinchuriki to exist. It may be why he survives to the end of the series, despite finding himself in countless situations where he could have potentially died.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A Cloud Cuckoo Lander rapper who aspires to be an enka singer. He also happens to be one the strongest characters introduced in the series.
- Chekhov's Skill: Bee severs Gyuuki's tentacle to evade capture by the Akatsuki in his introduction. Hundreds of chapters later, he pulls the same stunt to survive Gyuuki being forcibly extracted from him.
- Child Prodigy: Bee was selected to be the future Raikage's bodyguard at a young age, being the only one able to perform the Double Lariat with A
- If you have an extremely powerful demonic entity inside of you, and it is significantly more rational than you are, you qualify for this trope.
- During a scene where Naruto, Tobi, Kakashi, and Guy are dueling heroic/villainous speeches, Bee admits he likes mature women's breasts. There was no reason, he apparently just felt like throwing it out there.
- Cool Shades: He always wears sunglasses since his eyes are sensitive to light.
- Cool Sword: Has seven shortswords he wields simultaneously! Later he has 8 when he receives the Samehada.
- Covert Pervert: While he's unfazed by Naruto's Sexy and Harem Jutsu, he ogles his zombified teammate Yugito after her shirt is torn open, nearly missing that she had a chakra receiver imbedded in her breast. He also gushes over Tsunade's massive chest, revealing he has a fetish for older women.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Given his personality, Sasuke's crew underestimated Bee's capabilities when went he to capture him. Sasuke takes a rude awakening for them.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: White in the manga, but tinted yellow in the anime.
- The Empath: He can read a person's heart with only a fist bump, something he uses as a judge of character and to understand the feelings of his friends.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: Frequently battles while in the middle of rapping, and sometimes even pauses to write down lyrics.
- Facepalm Of Doom: Receiving. Gyuuki warns hims multiple times that Bee's antics will earn him his brother's "Iron Claw". After A, Darui and C find him in the Iron country, A does just that:A: (pissed off) How dare you go off on your own!
Bee: (having his face crushed) Even your non-dominant arm / does me a lot of harm / so sound the alaAAAAH...
- Failed a Spot Check: His childhood friend, Motoi, attempted to kill him when they were younger, but Bee turned around, causing his swords to deflect the kunai into the water, and holds out his fist for a fistbump. Motoi ran away, and never spoke to Bee again for 30 years. When Motoi confesses to trying to kill him, Bee claims that he doesn't remember.
- Flight, Strength, Heart: In addition to standard Tailed Beast host powers, his special power is salivating ink.
- Friend to All Living Things: On the island of giant beasts, he starts by fist-bumping with a giant Gorilla and goes from there. Taken to its extreme when Killer Bee tries to comfort freaking Samehada after it forces Kisame to separate from it because Kisame had been forcing it to go against its will. Remember that Samehada is generally regarded to be at least partially demonic.
- Happily Adopted: B was adopted as A's younger brother due to his potential to work in sync with A's combat style.
- Hyper Awareness: While B is most definitely a Cloud Cuckoo Lander, he's also very astute at reading situations around him.
- Ignore the Fanservice: Played straight and subverted.
- Naruto's Sexy Jutsu had knocked out even the Third Hokage and never let him down before... but when he tries to use it to convince Bee to help him out, Bee just shuts the door. The reason why is revealed later: B has a preference for mature women. The teenaged female Naruto pretends to be is too young for him.
- Later on, he is very distracted by the sexiness of Tsunade's giant cans, and the fact that she doesn't wear a bra.
- Even later he is distracted by Yugito's exposed chest and doesn't notice the chakra receivers implanted there until Naruto mentions his fight with Pain. (And Yugito was not only his former teammate but was an animated corpse puppet controlled by Tobi.)
- Image Song: Well, not exactly an official image song per se, but Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations comes with an exclusive song for Killer Bee sung by the voice actor himself (both English and Japanese VA's) And. It. Is. Awesome.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: The guy uses seven swords at once against Sasuke. Implausible doesn't begin to describe it.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Naruto; the guy's old enough to be his uncle.Which is what Naruto calls him.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Invoked in-universe and the Alliance actively tried to defy it, but ultimately failed.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: There's no way this rapping ninja could be danger... HOLY SHIT! Did he just gut Sasuke like a fish twice?
- Lightning Bruiser: Saying that he tore Sasuke a new one in his debut appearance would be an understatement. Bonus points for playing the trope literally.
- Lima Syndrome: He and the Eight-Tails are the first Tailed Beast and host pair shown to be able to work together rather than the host just taking the beast's power, because they respect each other.
- Made of Iron: The guy shrugs off, in order, a flying kick to the head, electrocution, and a jet-propelled, superhumanly strong fist to the face which left a dust cloud in which he was able to escape without noticeably slowing down. Heck, even his seal-acting tattoo says 'tetsu', which means 'iron'!
- Man Child: In the middle of a serious meeting on military matters, he's seen not paying any attention and scrawling down song lyrics — looking absurdly similar to a bored high school kid scribbling and not paying attention to class.
- Master Swordsman: Bee multi-wields seven swords at the same time. He was also shown to be an Instant Expert with wielding Zabuza's and later Kisame's Samehada.
- The Mentor: Now serving this role to Naruto, and is more balanced and powerful than him in many ways to avoid Mentor Occupational Hazard. Although he has none of the gravitas.
- Multi Wielding: He uses seven swords at once, and hold them in such places as in his armpits and between his legs, but not in his hands. He needs those to write down lyrics should he think of them.
- No Sell: Twice against Sasuke: when Sasuke uses his apparently unblockable Chidori Sword on him, he happily blocks it, much to Sasuke and his teammates' surprise. Later Sasuke cast a Tsukiyomi on him, and falls to the ground, unconscious...only to take down Sasuke in one hit after Sas let his guard down.
- Painful Rhyme: Played for Laughs as it is frequently pointed out in-universe that his rapping skills don't quite match his fighting ones. Although some of his rhymes or puns are surprisingly well-thought (the translators do a rather good job with it too).Bee: Kikiude janakutemo, ki… kiku. Kiki da yo! ("Even though it's not your good arm it… it works. I'm in trouble!")
- Partial Transformation: He can do this in addition to the full transformation.
- Punny Name: He's probably called "Killer Bee" because the Japanese words for "bee" and "eight" are homophones. In addition, his brother the Raikage is named A.
- Scarf of Asskicking: A long white one. He's very sad when it gets chopped in half by Yugito.
- Scary Black Man: Averted. He's too silly to be scary.
- Shock and Awe: Can channel electricity into his swords.
- Spanner in the Works: He ends up massively throwing Akatsuki and Sasuke's plans out of whack. Subverted later when Tobi revives the Juubi because the tail he gave him.
- Spin Attack: One of his maneuvers while using all swords at once is to spin like a top.
- Superpower Lottery: Becomes more apparent with each chapter; Bee is one of only four characters in the entire series that has the ability to control the Tailed Beast, (he's also one of the only two that is currently living). Also, being a Jinchuuriki at that, it allows him him to control the Eight-Tail's chakra perfectly. Due to this, he's also completely immune to Genjutsu, not to mention he's also a Lightning Bruiser.
- He later gains ownership of Kisame's Samehada, a sentient sword which gives it's owner the ability to absorb their opponent's chakra.
- Symbiotic Possession: One of the few to get along with his Tailed Beast.
- Torso with a View: The result on anyone unfortunate enough to get hit by his Lariat.
- Uncle Tomfoolery: Downplayed in that even when his antics are played for humor, he's far from incompetent.
- Verbal Tic: Tends to finish most of his lines of speech with "baby" and/or "Oh Yeah!" Also "Fool, ya fool".
- Vibroweapon: Can turn any weapon into this by using that electricity to vibrate it at a high frequency. Even pencils.
- Wrestler in All of Us: LARIAT!
Voiced by: Tessho Genda (JP), Paul St Peter (EN), Irwin Daayán (Latin America)
Host: Mito Uzumaki, Kushina Uzumaki, Naruto Uzumaki (Yang half), Minato Namikaze (Yin half). Eventually, both halves merge inside Naruto.As a consequence of being sealed into the main character, this is the Tailed Beast with the most screen time so far. It is far and away the strongest of the nine, able to flatten mountains and raise tsunamis with a sweep of its tails. Prior to the series, it attacked the Hidden Leaf Village after Tobi extracted it from its then-host, Naruto's mother Kushina, who had just given birth to the kid. To stop it, the Fourth Hokage sealed it into the newborn Naruto (his son, as he was Kushina's husband) and himself, sacrificing his own life to do so while his Action Mom wife did the same. Tobi claims that it is a natural disaster, able to appear out of nowhere.It is malevolently intelligent, with a scathing and sadistic personality. It does, however, have its own warped sense of honor, and a grudging respect for Naruto and the Fourth Hokage. It would like nothing more than to kill Naruto and escape, and has tried to tempt Naruto into taking actions that would allow the seal to be broken, but as long as it remains sealed, it is a (however unwilling) ally of Naruto's.Usually, the Fox manifests itself in whisker-shaped markings on Naruto's cheeks. It also grants him improved stamina and a Healing Factor. Naruto can also draw upon the Fox's enormous reserves of chakra in order to make up for his own lack of chakra control. When Naruto becomes consumed by rage, he starts to draw further on the Fox's chakra. When this happens, the "whiskers" on Naruto's face darken, his teeth become longer and sharper, his eyes turn red with slitted pupils, he begins moving about on all fours, and he becomes covered in a coat of bubbling red chakra.note At first, this happens unconsciously. After being trained by Jiraiya, however, Naruto learns how to actively demand chakra from the Fox. To do so, he goes into the depths of his mind (depicted as a dripping sewer with a humongous cage containing the Fox) and demands that the Fox assist him with its chakra (or as Naruto euphemistically calls it, the Fox's "rent"). It's unknown whether the Fox is forced to comply or simply does so out of amusement, but this does work.The more Naruto gives in to his rage, "tails" of chakra begin to appear. He grows more powerful with each one that appears, but he also loses control of his own personality. When he reaches four tails, he enters the Version Two state and the Fox's personality becomes dominant. During the Invasion of the Leaf Village, Naruto has shown the six and eight-tailed forms. It's been theorized that if he ever made it up to nine, the seal would be broken and the Fox would be freed. The seal also seems to be weakening over time. Jiraiya made an attempt to teach Naruto to retain control after four tails, but in so doing he came as close to death as he ever had. Instead, he settled for creating several seals which can suppress the Fox's influence. Yamato's Tenth Edict on Enlightenment jutsu can do this job as well.The Sharingan has the ability to control the Fox. In Shippuden, Sasuke prevented Naruto from drawing on its power, and it was later revealed that Madara Uchiha had "tamed" it and used it in his battle against the First Hokage. Itachi Uchiha was originally assigned to capture it, but with his death, Tobi sent Pain to do it instead. After that didn't work, Tobi decided to handle things himself.With the help of his parents, Naruto successfully tamed the Fox. Naruto can now tap into the Fox's massive (though not unlimited) chakra reserves whenever he chooses, giving himself a Super Saiyan-like glow in the process. Things progress even further when, upon seeing Naruto's genuine concern for the various Tailed Beasts, Kurama finally accepts his host as an equal partner, and the cage is finally unlocked. Now, Naruto is finally able to complete the tailed-beast transformation technique, though his is unique in that it is translucent and glowing yellow.When Kurama's Yang half is extracted from Naruto he gets the Yin half. Once the Yang half is freed from the Ten-Tails, it is eventually sealed back inside Naruto.
- Animal Battle Aura: He manifests into one when Naruto uses his Tailed Beast Mode.
- Armchair Military: Of a sort during the fight against the Ten-Tails, seeing how the real Nine-Tails was lounging in Naruto's subconsciousness while calling the shots in the fight against the Ten-Tails through Naturo's Animal Battle Aura. Kakashi even states it designated itself the captain of their group.
- Art Evolution: When he first met Naruto, he had round pupils and largely human dentition. The next time he was seen he had slitted pupils and fangs.
- Attack Hello: His first response to Naruto entering his inner world was to try to slash him through the bars of his cage.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Inside Naruto, he's only confined to a cage. Inside Kushina, however, he was pinned down and impaled by stakes. No wonder he's so ruthless.
- Blow You Away: Apparently has Wind Affinity Chakra, which is surprisingly appropriate considering who his host is. Often causes these with a swish of its tail or claws in its lesser forms.
- Canis Major: Kurama is a giant nine-tailed fox.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Defines himself as a "living mass of malevolence", although he's really just severely embittered.
- Cat Smile: Gives one as his first non-Slasher Smile while briefly trolling Naruto.
- Characterization Marches On: It's not something you'll notice unless you know Japanese, but his manner of speech slowly changes once he starts to open up to Naruto. For most of the series, he speaks formally, but later on, he starts using a cruder, more masculine form of Japanese (ex. using "temee" toward people he doesn't like when he originally used "kisama").
- Cry Cute: As a young fox, he shed tears as the Sage of Six Paths left the Tailed Beasts with his final words. Kurama was also humanized in the scene as he believed the Sage's words that someone would lead them and respect his identity. But Kurama's encounters with humans changed him until Naruto restored his faith in the Sage's words.
- Cunning Like a Fox: He almost gets Naruto to release him due to manipulating his rage. After his Heel–Face Turn, he uses it for good against Tobi.
- Deadpan Snarker: After formally allying with his host he takes to snarking in their shared mindscape.
- Death Glare: Kurama is a master of this. This is usually reserved for people it doesn't like and Naruto... at first.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Naruto beats him he becomes more of a Tsundere than a Villain and later even has a Heel–Face Turn.
- Demonic Possession: Routinely attempted this on Naruto before his Heel–Face Turn.
- Detect Evil: Kurama is able to sense negative emotions, and conferred this ability to Mito Uzumaki and Naruto.
- Enemy Mine: Allows Naruto to use his chakra to combat Madara. Eventually results in a Heel–Face Turn.
- Easily Forgiven: Despite the fact that Kurama wanted to kill him most of his life, killed a lot of people being on the loose and bearing directly responsible for the death of his parents, Naruto forgives him. Of course during the attack on Konoha he was under Tobi's control for a while,but even after it wore off he still continued to attack Konoha. Naruto doesn't seem to care and tells the Kurama his friend.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The reason he said he initially let Naruto use his chakra is because Madara is too much of a dick for even the Nine-Tails to tolerate.
- Evil Twin: Subverted with Dark Is Not Evil. While Kurama is split in Yin and Yang halves, the Yin half appears to have a more positive attitude, even encouraging Minato that everything that happened wasn't his fault. Yang Kurama however spent the majority of the series as Naruto's Super-Powered Evil Side until his Heel–Face Turn.
- Expy: His status as a giant nine-tailed fox that isn't really a traditional Kitsune, but a mass of malice and hatred shaped like one brings to mind of Hakumen No Mono. His eventual Tsundere attitude towards Naruto later, coupled with his orange colored fur, brings to mind of Tora from the same series.
- Fantastic Foxes: He's a sentient mass of energy shaped like a fox.
- Freudian Excuse: Kurama was, like all the beasts, optimistic that the chosen one the Sage of Six Paths foresaw would lead them to peace and harmony with humans. However, Kurama was seen as nothing but either a threat or a weapon by humans he sought to co-exist with, being sealed by one, to be controlled by the next. His hatred and contempt for humans over the generations grew, until he wanted nothing to do with them and regarded himself as an embodiment of hatred. Pointedly every violent action he takes toward humans in flashbacks is shown to be provoked by the humans in one way or another, it may well be that like the other beasts even with all his rage he was willing to leave humans alone if they left him alone.
- Golden Super Mode: When used by Naruto and Minato, his Tailed Beast Mode is yellow with black markings due to them using it as an extension of Nine Tails Chakra Mode. As shown in The Last, he can use Nine Tails Chakra Mode himself.
- Heel–Face Turn: Eventually becomes Naruto's ally of his own volition, though this was based on mutual respect more than anything. He was impressed with Naruto being the first human since the Sage who treated him as a living being worthy of respect rather than a weapon, and also learned much from watching Naruto's life.
- Hellish Pupils: His pupils are vertical slits, emphasizing his malevolence. Using his chakra also turns Naruto's pupils into slits as well.
- Jerkass: Was a major one until Naruto defeats him, which causes him to open up more, becoming more of a Tsundere.
- Jerkass Has a Point:
- Early on in Part II, Kurama told Naruto that, without his power, Naruto is unable to do anything. As harsh as saying this might have been, Kurama was correct. The majority of Naruto's achievements have been due to Kurama's immense chakra, rarely ever Naruto's own abilities. His achievements in the war, surviving against Pain, even fighting Sasuke toe-to-toe was only due to Kurama's chakra and presence within Naruto's body.Kurama: Who was the one with the impudence to come begging me for help, at every step of the way? You understand by now, don't you? Without me, you couldn't do anything at all.
- When Minato blames himself for all of the damage Tobi/Obito has caused because he never realized Tobi's true identity, Yin Kurama is quick to point out that Minato had no way of knowing that Obito was still alive, and even then, it wouldn't have changed a thing; Kurama still had to be stopped, and the Obito that Minato knew was long dead by then, so it would have been pointless to try to reason with him.
- Early on in Part II, Kurama told Naruto that, without his power, Naruto is unable to do anything. As harsh as saying this might have been, Kurama was correct. The majority of Naruto's achievements have been due to Kurama's immense chakra, rarely ever Naruto's own abilities. His achievements in the war, surviving against Pain, even fighting Sasuke toe-to-toe was only due to Kurama's chakra and presence within Naruto's body.
- The Illegible: By his own admission. He finds his own handwriting embarrassing.
- Kitsune: Kurama is a kaiju-sized nine-tailed supernatural fox.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Believes having nine tails makes him the boss, which Shukaku hates him for. Which is not far from the truth, considering his body shape is closest to The Ten Tails and his Yang half has power comparable to five other Tailed Beasts.
- Literal Split Personality: The Fourth Hokage split his chaka into two halves, sealing the Yang half inside of Naruto, and the Yin half inside himself. The Yin half is later revealed to have its own personality. In a few of the Infinite Tsukuyomi filler arcs where Kushina is still alive, she is Yin Kurama's Jinchuuriki, while Naruto is Yang Kurama's Jinchuuriki.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: The force of its roars can cause incredible destruction.
- Manipulative Bastard: Constantly baits Naruto to tap more and more in his chakra, so it can take control and cause destruction and/or break free of the seal.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Is clearly a fox, but his body proportions (especially his torso and arms, look the picture) are clearly humanoid to the point where his forepaws are depicted as having thumbs. Which means he can properly bump fists with Naruto. He also his long rabbit-like ears, which are likely based on the fennec fox.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: The Nine Tails has a wide mouth full of fangs, which is the first glimpse Naruto gets of it, although they were notably more human-like in its first appearance.
- Omnicidal Maniac: While it's heavily implied that there were several previous owners mistreating him and the Sage of Six Paths' death have caused him to become angry with the world, thus acting savagely towards humans. While acting berserk outside, his mind had devolved till Naruto defeats him and Defeat Equals Friendship takes hold.
- Playing with Fire: In the anime, where he unleashes a fire tornado on Pain.
- Power-Strain Blackout: During the final battle, Yin Kurama tells Naruto that he'll pass out when he gives Naruto the last of his chakra.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Not very fond of Naruto, but nevertheless aware that if he wants to live, then he just has to help him during battles. As a bonus, this regularly gives him occasions to go on wild rampage.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has red irises, and causes Naruto's own irises to turn red when using his power and own are red. Later on, this, along with the "whiskers" thickening, is the indication that Kurama is using Naruto's body for something during the war.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Was this in his younger days.
- Shout-Out: The Nine-Tails' real name, as revealed by the Four-Tails, is Kurama, the name of one of the main characters from YuYu Hakusho, a very popular manga and anime series created by Togashi. He is also a fox demon. Curiously, Kurama's Japanese VA also voiced Younger Toguro in the same series.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: He personally, through Naruto, gives one to Tobi.
- Signature Roar: In stark contrast to his deep speaking voice, Kurama's signature vocalization is a harsh, shrill, hissing roar, though he's also used Stock Sound Effects.
- Slasher Smile: Displayed this when Naruto met him for the first time. Technically, every time he smiles or shows he's amused so much that you can't even tell whether he is feeling murderously giddy or is actually ready to cooperate.
- Sleep-Mode Size: Noticeably shrinks when Minato sealed half his essence into the Death God. In Killer B's dream world, Kurama appears in a cat-sized Super-Deformed state.
- Split-Personality Merge: This is implied near the end, where the Yin half seems to have the memories of the Yang half interacting with Naruto. After everything is said and done, both Kuramas do merge back into one being inside Naruto.
- Stockholm Syndrome: After Naruto defeated him, he gained some grudging respect for the boy. However, the real turning point in their relationship came after Naruto expressed the desire to befriend Kurama and the other Tailed Beasts.Naruto: Hey! You know what, Nine Tails? (smiles) I believe that I'm going to come after all that hate that's inside of you too someday.
- Tail Slap: He was said to be powerful enough to level mountains with a single blow of his tail.
- This Is My Human: Kurama revealed the reason why he prevented Fukasaku from fusing with and helping Naruto from mastering Perfect Toad Sage Mode wasn't out of animosity, but jealousy that his jinchūriki would use anyone else's chakra. This is repeated when Naruto seeks assistance from Killer B and Eight Tails, angering Kurama again that he'd ask for help from another Tailed Beast.
- Took a Level in Kindness:
- Towards Naruto, best shown in Kurama's first and last appearances. In his first appearance, Kurama tried to kill Naruto, compared to when Kurama was sealed, he told Gaara of a way to save Naruto.
- Eventually towards some of other members of the alliance as well, due to fighting on the same side as them, particularly Kakashi.
- To Serve Man: Kurama ate Kinkaku and Ginkaku when they attacked him, and has threatened to eat Naruto.
- Troll: After his Heel–Face Turn, chapter 609 for the best example-he's grinning at Naruto while he explains what he really did when Naruto thought he sacrificed Kakashi by throwing him at Tobi.
- Tron Lines: When manifested as Naruto's and Minato's Animal Battle Aura, Kurama has broad black markings on its chakra-body that make it resemble Asura's Guardian Entity.
- Tsundere: After his Heel–Face Turn, this is his attitude toward Naruto, especially when Naruto is showing him friendliness. One notable example was when he was freed and Naruto happily proclaimed he missed him before asking if Kurama missed him too. Cue the fox shouting he did not while flicking him off. It's a source of hilarity to say the least.
- Unstoppable Rage: Kurama ain't a happy camper at first, and when he makes Naruto enter his Version 2 state, he proceeds to start terminating everything living around him with extreme prejudice.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: In the flashback showing all the Tailed Beasts as children, not only was Kurama the only one shown crying, but he was also the one standing closest to the Sage of Six Paths, implying that the two were close before the Sage's death.
- Victory Is Boring: After the war, he spends most of his time sleeping and complaining about nothing to do. He's practically giddy when Naruto lets him loose for battle in Naruto Gaiden.
- The Watcher: Thanks to the seal, he was unable to do anything but observe. As such, he has watched over Naruto's life every day since he was born.
Kinkaku and Ginkaku
Kinkaku and Ginkaku
Voiced by: Takaya Kurodo and Fumiya Yazaki (JP), John Eric Bentley and Keith Silverstein (EN)
Warriors of the Hidden Cloud Village from the Second-Third Shinobi World War revived by Kabuto to fight in the Fourth Shinobi World War. They're known as the Two Lights but are also remembered as the Hidden Cloud's most reviled criminals for the attempted coup they made during negotiations with the Hidden Leaf. They are among the strongest opponents that Darui's Division face, but Ginkaku is taken out by Darui and a Nine-Tails powered Kinkaku is defeated by Shikamaru and Choji (who provided backup from Gaara's Division) along with Ino (joining them from the Fifth Division) using their famed Ino-Shika-Cho Formation.
- Animal Battle Aura: They are able to summon a Version 2 Tailed Beast-cloak, though only Kinkaku uses it.
- Anime Hair: Their hair is styled in a way that makes it look like Native American headdress. Their eyebrows are also gold and silver respectively, going on the colored volume page, which seems to hint they aren't literally wearing headdresses, and is just severe case of this trope.
- Bash Brothers: They're brothers who fight together as a team.
- Berserk Button: Kinkaku's button is pushed when someone severely harms his brother. After Darui seals away Ginkaku, Kinkaku explodes in rage, transforming into a six-tailed bijuu shroud. He declares Darui will pay for laying a hand on Ginkaku. Further backed by Kakuzu's statement that he hasn't seen Kinkaku in such a state in ages, and deduces that something must've happened to Ginkaku.
- Big Brother Instinct: See above. It'd be a lie to say Kinkaku didn't have this toward his brother. He's bigger, and seems to be the smarter of the two, so it's widely accepted by fandom he's the big brother. Being based off of Gold Horn and Silver Horn of Journey to the West, Gold Horn (Kinkaku) was the elder brother. Here, their ages are the same. But their birthdays are one month apart, Kinkaku's being in March, and Ginkaku in April. Could be fraternal twins, and Kinkaku was born early. Or, they could be half-siblings.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Curse him, Seven Star Sword! Record, Crimson Gourd!"
- Cool Sword: The Seven Star Sword.
- Facial Markings: The exact same ones Naruto has due to eating the Nine-Tails' flesh.
- Fallen Heroes:
- Revered by the Hidden Cloud Village, but they are also remembered as the Hidden Cloud's most reviled criminals due to their attempted coup when the Second Hokage and Second Raikage were meeting for a formal alliance. Its implied they where responsible for the death of the Second Raikage, being they both seem to know who the third raikage was, and of his black lightning technique.
- According to the fourth databook, they committed "numerous" other crimes in addition to the coup d'etat incident.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Ginkaku gets sealed away inside his own gourd.
- Jagged Mouth: Kinkaku gets one in his Version 2 state, and both he and Ginkaku are seen with them during the flashback to their imprisonment in the Nine Tails' stomach.
- One-Winged Angel: They can enter a Version 2 state similar to Naruto's.
- Public-Domain Character: Everything about them is based on the characters of the same names from Journey to the West, including the host of Public Domain Artifact's. Compare Dragon Ball for a different take of the same public domain characters.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Even without Edo Tensei's regenerative powers, the two were so amazingly powerful that the most practical way to bet them off the battlefield was simply to use their own magic jars against them to seal them away.
- Sibling Team: They aren't called the Gold and Silver Brothers for nothing.
- Spanner in the Works:
- When Ginkaku is sealed away, Kinkaku explodes in rage and goes 6-Tails. Naruto, being the Nine-Tails' real host, senses this through the otherwise-chakra-blocking barrier that the Alliance are keeping him & Killer-Bee distracted in. This sparks Naruto's curiosity enough that he eventually goes to check out what's going on, fights through the guards meant to confine him, finds out about the war going on outside, and teams up with Bee to bust through the forces keeping them contained. In short: Kinkaku's transformation ruined the Five Kage's plans to keep Bee & Naruto out of the fight.
- Happens again later. The tools that they used, as well as their Nine-Tails chakra, is EXACTLY what Tobi needs to resurrect the Ten-Tails.
- Swallowed Whole: By Kurama, who later regurgitated them.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: They were too unruly to let something as silly as being devoured for two weeks by the strongest Tailed Beast to stop them or even slow them down, and even got something out of it for their trouble.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: They're half-brothers, fraternal twins, or Ginkaku is in fact the older one, despite being smaller and weaker. Their ages are both listed as being forty-four. But their birthdays are one month apart. Kinkaku being born March 7th and Ginkaku being born April 9th. Their bloodtypes are also different. So, they are not identical twins regardless of their situation, but look similar◊ enough.◊ Ginkaku just looks like a smaller version of Kinkaku.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Their tools are designed to steal an opponent's soul.
- See Naruto - Hokages
Real Name: Kaguya ŌtsutsukiHost: Sage of the Six Paths/Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki, Tobi/Obito Uchiha, Madara Uchiha.The combined form of all the Tailed Beasts. Was sealed inside the Sage of Six Paths, saving the world from its evil and effectively turning the Sage into a mortal god, explaining why he is regarded as such. Eventually, the Sage, on his deathbed and hoping to lessen the chance of global devastation, split its chakra apart to form the nine Tailed Beasts and hid its body, the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, in the moon, to prevent the Eldritch Abomination from escaping upon the Sage's passing. Tobi's plan hinges on capturing all of the Tailed Beasts, depriving them of their chakra and reforming the Ten-Tails back to its original, primordial form, so he can become its Jinchuriki. He more or less succeeds.
- Adaptation Expansion: In Kaguya's backstory arc in the anime, the God Tree was worshipped as a god, had people sacrificed to it, and 'does'' possess a will of its own, transforming into the Ten Tails to protect Kaguya (though it could be argued this was Kaguya activating her will within the tree and controlling it, as Black Zetsu still states they are in effect the same being).
- Almighty Idiot: It has no mind of its own since it's a tree. The driving force behind its rampage was Kaguya.
- Assimilation Plot: The Ten Tails' will actually speaks to Madara, and it has the exact same desire he does. It instructs him to merge with it, preventing Naruto from cutting it down, so it can absorb all humanity into itself.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Even the other tailed-beasts are puny compared to it.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: All of the humanoid creatures it can summon, though it varies between axes, scythes, or hammers.
- Breath Weapon: It can fire a Tailed Beast Ball as a massive laser that can pierce through a rapid fire barrage of Tailed Beast Balls at once and not even lose momentum after they explode.
- Chain Pain: As the Demonic Statue, it can manifest chakra chains to attack or bind opponents.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: The humanoid creatures it can summon are all much weaker than the original despite the increased numbers.
- The Dreaded: Even the Sage of Six Paths was scared of it.
- In the present, even the Tailed-Beasts are terrified of it: the Sage of Six Paths apparently spared no details about it. Even Madara displays fear of it running out of control.
- Eldritch Abomination: The most overt example thus far in this series.
- Elemental Embodiment: Essentially a force of nature, it has no feelings or ideals. As such, its chakra can only be sensed in the form of the same natural energy that pervades the world.
- Enemy Summoner: It has the ability to create humanoid fighters to defend his main body from attack.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Tobi and Madara are able to control it using the Hashirama's DNA, but as it becomes more complete, it gets harder to do so. Eventually, they lose all control over it, and it starts attacking on its own volition, with the only way to recover control over it being the task of becoming its Jinchūriki.
- Evil Evolves: Transforms three times before Tobi seals it into himself. Even then, Gyuuki stated that wasn't its final form, which is implied to be the rabbit-headed creature◊ Kaguya briefly transforms into.
- Exotic Eye Designs: It has a Rinne Sharingan, an eye that looks like a Sharingan crossed with a Rinnegan.
- Eyeless Face: None of the creatures it can summon have any eyes, giving them a creepy look.
- Facial Markings: In its initial form it has black vein-like markings that extend from its eye.
- Fantastic Nuke: Its Tailed Beast Ball can act like these. Tobi uses its power to annihilate several villages and the headquarters of the Shinobi Alliance from a great distance.
- Fixed Relative Strength: The creatures it spawns have varying levels of strength.
- Flechette Storm: Can do this with five-foot-long wooden stakes.
- Forbidden Fruit: A very literal example. In its original form as the World Tree, it would grow a fruit once every thousand years. Eating this fruit was forbidden. A princess seeking to become a god to end war ate it, and was thus blessed with the power of chakra. However, this enraged the tree, causing it to bring about disasters. Even after the Ten-Tails was sealed, the Sage's sons became Cain and Abel and the very power shinobi had been blessed with Cursed them with eternal conflict that had become even more dangerous than before. Subverted later when it's revealed that it didn't care if anyone ate its fruit since it's a tree with no mind of its own. It only rampaged because the princess' will made it attack her sons to take their chakra.
- Foreshadowing: The Ten-Tails is said to lack any feelings or ideals, and yet it is apparently enraged when Naruto reminds it of the Sage, which hints at the fact that another power is behind it. This power is eventually revealed to be Kaguya.
- Fusion Dance: It's revealed that the Ten-Tails was created by Kaguya fusing with the God-Tree and transforming into a monster.
- Gaia's Vengeance: It was originally the World Tree but became a beast after the Sage's mother ate its fruit. Legend claimed that the beast was trying to claim its power back, though this actually turns out to have been Kaguya's doing. The World Tree's input is just what it sounds like: it's a non-sentient tree whose power is being used by evil.
- God: Via the mouth of Kurama, the Ten-Tails is the beginning of all chakra, and the progenitor of all that exists in the world.
- God Is Evil: It has neither feelings nor ideals and was once indifferent to humanity and its wars. But after the Sage's mother, Kaguya, fused with the World Tree, her will turned it into a monster and brought despair to the entire world in an effort to bring all chakra back underneath her control. The Sage of the Six Paths feared their revival would bring about The End of the World as We Know It.
- Greater-Scope Villain: The primordial evil of the world, said to have chakra foul enough that all living things on the planet are menaced by its wrath.
- Hair-Raising Hare: When Kaguya is hit by Naruto's Tailed Beast Rasenshuriken - each powered by a different beast - she loses control of the beasts' chakra and transforms into a massive white rabbit bearing her Rinne Sharingan and Byakugan, with with the Tailed Beasts' heads and ten hand-tipped tails protruding from its massive, bulbous tail. When she is sealed, the rabbit's head is the only one that remains attached to the Demonic Statue.
- High Turnover Rate: It has cycled through two Jinchuuriki in a single night. Given how long Jinchuuriki are supposed to last that's basically light speed.
- Horned Humanoid: The creatures it summons have various spikes and horns protruding from their heads and backs.
- Humanoid Abomination:
- As the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, its depowered form was completely humanoid, save for possessing nine eyes and having sawed-off branch-like projections protruding from its body.
- Its second form is a monstrous humanoid creature and it becomes even more humanoid as it matures.
- The creatures it can summon vary between this and Animalistic Abomination.
- I Have Many Names: According to Kurama, it has many names, three of them being Ame No Hitotsu no Kami (meaning One-Eyed God), Datara, and Daidarabotchi (meaning Giant).
- Lightning Bruiser: It's at least twice the size of the other Tailed Beasts, but fast enough to sucker-punch Kurama before anyone could react.
- Liquid Assets: It is the source of all chakra and wants to take back the power mankind stole. Since chakra currently serves as the world's Life Energy, the process kills all of the Shinobi it depletes.
- Living Weapon: The only Beast to really qualify as one since it has no will of its own, being a tree. The will driving its rampage was Kaguya.
- Magic Eye: It possesses a massive red Rinnegan with nine Sharingan-like tomoe, called the Rinne Sharingan.
- Monkey Morality Pose: Of a sort. Its second form features its single eyeball on the front of its head, a single huge and prominent ear on one side, and a mouth on the other side.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: In its first form, it has a gaping mouth full of row after row of long fangs.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: In its second form, its tails become tentacles tipped with hands.
- Nature Is Not Nice: While legend states that the World Tree transformed into an Eldritch Abomination in hatred of those who took its chakra, this is ultimately subverted. The tree itself is actually seemingly completely non sentient, and the one who wants the power back and created the Ten Tails is actually Kaguya.
- Nested Mouths: Its third form unhinges its jaw to reveal a massive Rafflesia-shaped inner mouth.
- No Sell: Minato tries to free Infinite Tsukuyomi victims by cutting the limbs off the tree. They grow right back.
- Not So Stoic: Despite it being said that the Ten-Tails lacks any type of feelings or personality, the sight of Naruto reminding it of the Sage of the Six Paths, as well as eight of the nine Tailed Beasts drove it into a rage, causing it to aim the biggest Tailed Beast Ball in the series at just Naruto. This is eventually revealed to be because of Kaguya's will.
- One-Winged Angel: It is revealed that the Ten-Tails isn't the God-Tree rampaging to get its chakra back after all: it's Kaguya, who merged with the God-Tree and transformed into a monster to reclaim the chakra she'd passed on to her sons.
- Painful Transformation: Becoming the Ten-Tails is clearly not a pleasant experience for the Demonic Statue.
- Pieces of God: It was once known as the God Tree and is the origin of all chakra in the world. The mother of the Sage stole a portion of its power by eating its fruit, causing it to become a monster in an effort to get that chakra back. The Sage's solution was to split its chakra into 9 parts and form it into the Tailed Beasts. Madara's plan to revive it involves sealing the 9 beasts back inside. Notably, reviving it does not actually require the entire beasts. Only a portion of the chakra from each is enough to initiate its eventual revival, albeit at a slower pace. If the combined Chakra of all living things is reconnected to the god tree, a new chakra fruit will be created.
- Physical God: One of the most powerful beings in the series.
- Readings Are Off the Scale:
- Its power does have limits, but it literally cannot be measured.
- When it metamorphoses into its second form, it causes the Sensing Sphere, which is used to measure chakra levels across the entire war, to form an entirely separate sphere - so it has roughly equal power to every single being in the elemental nations at the moment put together.
- Revision: It's revealed that the Ten-Tails wasn't just the tree, Kaguya was part of it too. The tree wasn't trying to take its chakra back, as it was non sentient. Kaguya was the one trying.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: According to legend, the Ten-Tails didn't care at all about humans or wars until Kaguya Ōtsutsuki stole its power, and went berserk trying to get that power back. This is later revealed to be a half-truth: Kaguya merged with the tree in an effort to get back the chakra she'd passed on to her descendants.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Before the Sage died, he channeled the Ten-Tails' chakra and divided it into nine different pieces, leading to the creation of the Tailed Beasts, and hid the rest of the Ten-Tails' body in the moon to prevent it from wreaking further havoc onto the world.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: The Sage of the Six Paths sealed it into himself, making him the first chronological Jinchuriki, on top of turning him into a Physical God in all but name. Tobi becomes its new Jinchuuriki and is later replaced by Madara.
- Samus Is a Girl: It came into being by the fusion of a princess and a tree.
- Tears of Blood: The Demonic Statue sheds these from all nine eyes when it has absorbed all nine Tailed Beasts.
- Uniqueness Decay: Boruto: The Movie invokes this on the part of the Shinju. It's revealed that other supernatural trees of the same species have existed in other dimensions and still do.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Because it lacks conscience, it just fires its power randomly on instinct; once Tobi becomes its Jinchuuriki, he easily shatters the defenses that previously held the beast because he can now focus its power.
- Walking Spoiler: The fact that it exists alone is a massive spoiler for the series. It's pretty much the reigning champ of this in the series. The will behind its rampage is an even bigger spoiler.
- Was Once a Man: It's revealed that the beast is not actually sentient, nor was it always a beast. Kaguya Otsutsuki was the will that got it to move.
- World Tree: Its original form as the Shinju was an enormous tree. Tobi manifests it as a similar form with a massive Rinne-Sharingan.
- Weather Manipulation: Without anyone to control it, the Juubi unleashes a massive elemental barrage of tornadoes, thunderstorms and earthquakes.
- You Don't Look Like You:
- Its appearance post-resurrection is somewhat different from its appearance in the flashbacks, possibly due to being incomplete.
- It's second form is definitely a Humanoid Abomination, but is still◊ very different from what had been described of it in its introduction, probably because it doesn't have the Eight-Tails and Nine-Tails and hasn't finished reviving.
- Its final form, a World Tree of Evangelion proportions with a single nine tomoed eye in a humongous lotus flower.
- After Kaguya loses control once again, it transforms her into a giant rabbit-beast that resembles its silhouette form more than any of the others, albeit with a great mass of flesh where its tails should be.
Sage of the Six Paths
Voiced By: Toru Nakane (JP)
The creator of ninshu and founder of the ninja way. Born to Kaguya Ōtsutsuki, the founder of Chakra. Once the World Tree sought revenge for her consuming its sacred fruit, it transformed into the Juubi and wrecked havoc on the world; Hagoromo defeated the Ten-Tailed Beast and sealed it with himself, becoming the first jinchuuriki. He split it into nine pieces on his deathbed, which became the Tailed Beasts. His two sons were the ancestors of the Senju and Uchiha clans.
- Antiquated Linguistics: When he appears to Naruto in his inner world, he initially speaks like this, until Naruto gets frustrated trying to understand what he's saying. Justified as the Sage lived in an era hundreds of years before the current one. Fortunately, as his essence remained and acquired understanding of the changes in language and cultural development within the world since his demise, he's able to switch his manner of speaking to better suit Naruto.
- The Atoner: He and his brother fought the Ten-Tails to atone for Kaguya's sins.
- In his expanded backstory shown in the anime, he traveled the world partly to help restore and heal the damage from the titanic battle.
- Badass Beard: Kurama's flashback reveals he had one prior his death.
- The Comically Serious: Briefly. During his attempts at speaking with Naruto, he doesn't even lose his stoic expression, all the while stating how politely citing how slow Naruto appears to be mentally.
- Dead Person Conversation: With both Naruto and Sasuke, where he reveals to them that they are the reincarnations of his younger and older son, respectively.
- Deus ex Machina: Well or Hagoromo ex Machina. When Naruto and Sasuke are on the verge of death he appears out of space-time to meet with them and to grant massive power-ups to Naruto (the Ten-Tails Jinchuuriki level abilities & a powerful seal) and Sasuke (Rinnegan & a powerful seal). Whilst the two are revived by other parties, Hagoromo appeared out of nowhere and gave them the means to defeat Madara & Kaguya Ōtsutsuki.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Defeated and sealed the Ten-Tails within himself.
- Exotic Eye Designs: He was the first person to possess the Rinnegan.
- Feuding Families: Started the feud between the Uchiha and the Senju when he chose the Senju Clan's ancestor as his successor over the elder brother, the Uchiha Clan ancestor.
- Folk Hero: The son of Kaguya Otsutsuki, a woman who stole the power of chakra from the Ten-Tails and was worshipped as a goddess. He himself is the ancestor of the Senju and Uchiha clans.
- Heroic Lineage: His descendants are the Uchiha and Senju/Uzumaki Clans, and he himself is the son of a woman revered as a goddess for being the first to use Chakra.
- Horned Humanoid: Has horns due to being the Ten Tailed Beast's host and Kaguya's son.
- Identical Grandson: Give or take removed by many centuries and possible direct lineage, the basic contours of his face nonetheless is pretty much how Hiruzen Sarutobi looked like later in life.
- Insistent Terminology: He is positively livid at the implication he created ninjutsu. He says that he created ninshu, which is not made for war, unlike ninjutsu.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Notably inverted; all the emphasis is on his mother. His father was an ordinary human Emperor, so all his strength was inherited from Kaguya.
- The Lost Lenore: In the anime filler episodes that expands on his past, Hagoromo turned on his mother after the girl he loved was summoned to serve in the Ritual of the Divine Tree and was fed on as a battery, eventually killing her. His grief and rage over her death awakened his Sharingan with three tomoe in each eye.
- Magical Eye:
- He was the first known possessor of the Rinnegan, and was considered a Physical God as a result of the powers it granted him.
- In the anime, he awakens the Sharingan after discovering his mother has killed his love interest, and was so enraged that they activated with three tomoe. When he was forced to mortally injure his mind-controlled brother, these Sharingan matured into Mangekyo Sharingan and finally into his signature Rinnegan.
- Messianic Archetype: Defeated the 10-Tails and became the first Shinobi.
- Taken a step further in the anime, when he started gathering disciples to spread his teachings and encourage others to do good.
- Missing Dad: He goes into great detail about his mother, but his father is unmentioned. Subverted in the anime, when his father is revealed to be an Emperor of the land Kaguya descends upon.
- As well as acting like a parent to the Tailed Beasts. His kindness is why they think of every human kind to them as similar to him.
- Neutral No Longer: He decides that, given that Madara has taken up his chakra by combining that of both of his sons (unknowingly) and most Tailed Beasts including Ten-Tails (knowingly), he will provide the chakra of the nine Tailed Beasts to Sasuke and Naruto, the latest reincarnations of his sons.
- Nice Guy: He is actually extremely personable when he incarnates during the Infinite Tsukuyomi arc, doing his best to help the ninja to achieve peace, and only truly angered at the prospect of his Berserk Button.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Ultimately the one responsible for all of the crap in the present day. He was the one who taught people how to use chakra, though originally intending for it to be a way to unite them, they instead used it to develop ninjutsu and make war. Him favoring his younger son over his older one also led to the Vicious Cycle that has caused centuries of strife, something that he fully acknowledges. Which is why he takes a third option in the present and gives his blessings to the reincarnations of both of his sons, Naruto and Sasuke. Only that backfires too and Sasuke just repeats the same cycle again... until Naruto defeats him and thus finally stops the cycle
- In his defense though, Black Zetsu was the one who played a large part in developing the rift between Asura and Indra and it's likely that he was the one who corrupted ninshu into ninjutsu and its usage for war.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name was Hagoromo Otsutsuki.
- Parental Favoritism: Practiced this in regards to his own sons. He initially favored the elder for his power and talent, but made the younger one his chosen successor after seeing his Magnetic Hero traits. Later the Sage admits this was a huge mistake which is directly responsible for all of the crap in the series, one he refuses to repeat in the present day. So he grants power and blessings to both his sons' reincarnations, Naruto and Sasuke.
- Parental Substitute: To the young Bijuu.
- Physical God: The most powerful character in the whole manga, aside from his mother.
- Posthumous Character:
- Virtually everything we know about him is stated by other characters, most prominently Jiraiya, Pain, Tobi, and Madara. Kurama also has a short flashback about him right before his death.
- He does though appear in the final arc though he reveals he is in fact dead.
- Power Floats: He can levitate due to being the Ten-Tails' jinchuriki.
- Reality Warper: His power of "Creation of All Things", which he used to split the Ten Tails into the nine Tailed Beasts, inspired the Uchihas' Izanagi.
- Revision: Turns out he didn't create Ninjutsu, he just enabled people to use chakra through Ninshu, and they were the ones who re-incorporated it for war. A Justified Trope, since, until Chapter 670, nobody heard it from the man himself.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: His life story. He became the Ten-Tails' jinchuriki and created ninshū to atone for the sins of this mother. Ninshu, instead of being used as a tool for communication, was used to make ninjutsu, which destroyed the peace his mother created. His decision to make Asura the leader of ninshu created a long war between his sons that is still going on with his sons' reincarnations. Even his idea to create the Tailed Beasts ended with them being used as weapons by humans, causing them to hate humanity. In the end he hoped to create a true peace, instead of a peace using a large stick like his mother's, but he just restarted war and intensified it, creating a cycle of hatred that still continues far past his death. However, much of his problems were due to interference of Black Zetsu, in regards to his sons and ninshu becoming ninjutsu.
- Skilled, but Naďve: When it came to people, almost to the point of Horrible Judge of Character. He honestly believed that people would not abuse the power he taught them. More significantly, he believed his elder son would be perfectly happy supporting his younger brother. It didn't occur to him that his elder son might feel snubbed and go the Cain and Abel route. In his defense, his elder son's fall was not entirely his fault. While he may have created the circumstances that lead to the feud, it was Black Zetsu that gave him the final push.
- Furthermore, as seen in the anime filler expanding on his past, we've seen Black Zetsu spying on young Indra and Asura. It's entirely possible that the fault lied mainly in Black Zetsu turining the brothers against one another.
- Speaking Like Totally Teen: Momentarily attempts this in order to communicate with Naruto.
- Superpowerful Genetics: So super-powerful, in fact, that pretty much all the bad guys' master plan to become unstoppable is to attain his powers by combining the Senju and Uchiha bloodlines. The only one to do so, the real Madara Uchiha, is easily the strongest ninja the world has ever known. After this guy and his mother.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Created the entire moon in order to seal a creature maybe the size of a large building inside of it. And it's not like he needed to since it was for all intents and purposes dead after he split its soul into nine pieces.
- Justified with how dangerous the ten tail's body could be even as an empty shell. Indeed the jutsu he used to seal it was the only one capable of it and required the help of his brother to activate it (the versions used by Pain and others are in fact a different, weaker jutsu).
- Verbal Tic: Has one rendered as "That is a bit much."
- Warrior Poet: Unsurprisingly, as the hero who defeated the Ten-Tails and a founder of a revolutionary spiritual movement, it's expected that he'd be this trope.
- World's Strongest Man: Many characters regard him as the strongest being to ever live. He disagrees. That honor goes to his mother, Kaguya, while he and his brother only received pieces of her power.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The series' Physical God has... reddish brown hair.