Characters: Naruto - Other Characters
aka: Naruto-Characters From Other Villages
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Pre-Leaf Village Senju Clan
The brother of Hashirama, Tobirama, and Kawarama Senju.
- Child Soldiers: He was a young boy fighting in an eternal war.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His death caused Tobirama to become jaded and cynical.
- Doomed by Canon: Despite many chapters devoted to backstory, a third Senju bro was never mentioned. Predictably, he dies in the chapter he first appears in.
- Mauve Shirt: Has a bit of characterization before biting the dust. But not much.
- Multicolored Hair: One side white, the other side black.
- No Kill Like Over Kill: How he died, cornered and slaughtered by five adults.
- Posthumous Character: Been dead since long before the story began.
- Small Role, Big Impact: You know all the other guys who supposedly triggered the plot of Naruto? Well, as long as the flashbacks go further back in time, we keep getting earlier and earlier causes for the plot. At one point before Black Zetsu was revealed as The Chessmaster it was Itama who triggered the plot. His death caused Tobirama to become jaded, which caused him to kill Izuna, which caused Madara to go crazy, which caused him to do a bunch of evil stuff and make Obito into his evil successor.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Died in a flashback without getting any real characterization.
The brother of Tobirama, Hashirama, and Itama Senju. Died a pointless death in the war. His arm was sent back to his family.
The father of Hashirama, Tobirama, Kawarama, and Itama Senju. Leader of the Senju Clan in the past.
- Abusive Parents: He hit his son for suggesting that another son had died a pointless death.
- Arch-Enemy: There was no one he hated more than Tajima Uchiha.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Believes that turning his sons into emotionless killing machines, to be sent off and die in war is the greatest form of love a parent can show.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Knew his son was seeing someone so he sent his other son to spy on him; when he found out it was an Uchiha he then set up an ambush, and in the following Battle he purposely attacked the enemy's son in order to dishearten him and create an opening in his defense.
- Family Honor: A firm believer in this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Whilst abusive, he does love his children, and would falter in battle if he saw one of them die.
- The Leader: He led the Senju Clan in the past.
- Meaningful Name: The first character used in writing his given name is also used to write that of Buddha.
Land of Waves Arc
The founder of Gato Shipping and Transport. A multi-billionaire who is said to be the richest man in the world. However, he makes most of his money with his shady business deals. Gato is the first major villain to appear in the series.
- Anime Hair: He has an utterly crazy hairstyle.
- Arc Villain: Gato is the central antagonist of the Land of Waves arc, but he is of no importance to the overarching story and is just there to be the first villain.
- Bullying a Dragon: He subjects the ninja he hires to much abuse because he thinks the money he offers them will keep them in check.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He's an evil businessman.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Frequently hires top dollar assassins to take people out for him, then uses mobs of grunts to take those assassins out so he doesn't have to pay them.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He knows how long Shōnen fights tend to drag on for, so he just waits until the combatants are tired and then wipes them all out with mobs of grunts.
- Evil Old Folks: He's fairly old, and also a monster who kills people to make money.
- Greed: He is willing to assassinate people and force whole countries into poverty just to make more money.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Unintentional, but he does look like his voice actor in the English dub, Fred Tatasciore.
- Karmic Death: In the backstory of the Land of Waves arc, he chopped off both of Kaiza's arms and then killed him. At the end of the arc, he is killed by Zabuza, who is unable to use his arms.
- Kick the Dog: His execution of Kaiza is there just to show that he's a bad guy. He later kicks Haku's corpse just to further hammer in how much of a complete scumbag he is.
- Non-Action Big Bad: He's the villain of the Land of Waves arc, but his power comes from his money, not his physical strength. When he does enter the final battle, Zabuza kills him with one blow.
- Off with His Head!: Zabuza kills him by chopping off his head in the manga, slitting his throat in the anime.
- Smug Snake: Acts completely full of himself.
- Starter Villain: He's the first major antagonist that Team 7 faces in the story.
- White Hair, Black Heart: His heart is white, but make no mistake, he's an evil bastard.
- You Have Failed Me: Subverted. He is constantly angered when his assassins fail to kill Tazuna, but while he does show up to kill Zabuza, he was going to do that anyway.
"I am Tazuna, a bridge builder of ultimate renown."
A famed bridge builder. He's working on a bridge that will connect the Land of Waves to the mainland. However, he is threatened by Gato, a businessman who wants to stop him so that he can make money by holding a monopoly over the shipping and transport industry in the Land of Waves. Tazuna decides to hire a group of ninjas to defend him.
- The Bus Came Back: He and Inari briefly reappear after the Pain arc to help Konoha.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may pick on Naruto and lie about missions, but he's a genuinely good guy just trying to help his country.
- Poor Communication Kills: Justified and lampshaded. Kakashi says that by lying about the nature of the mission he gave them, he risked the lives of the whole team. Tazuna responds by pointing out that he had to say it was a "C" rank mission, because the Land of Waves was so poverty-stricken that he couldn't afford to pay the "A" rank fee.
Tazuna's daughter, who lives with him.
- Berserk Button: She gets mad when Tazuna mentions Kaiza in front of Inari, because she knows how much it upsets her son.
- Stepford Smiler: She's pretty broken, what with losing her husband, then losing Kaiza. However, she tries to remain cheerful.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Tazuna isn't seen as attractive, but she is.
"'Hero?' You're dumb. There's no such thing."
Tsunami's jaded and cynical son. Inari's biological father died shortly after he was born, so he always considered Kaiza to be his father. However, after Kaiza's public execution he was overcome with grief and believed that all attempts to stop Gato would fail. Naruto helps him become a hero.
- The Bus Came Back: He and Tazuna briefly return after the Pain arc.
- The Cavalry: Shows up with all of the villagers from the Land of Waves to stop Gato's group of renegades.
- Character Development: When first introduced, he is cynical and cries a lot. Naruto helps him grow out of it and become a hero.
- The Cynic: When first introduced, he bitterly says that Naruto will be killed by Gato and claims that heroes don't exist. However, he grows out of it thanks to Naruto.
- Hope Bringer: Eventually helps to inspire hope among the citizens of the Land of Waves.
- In the Blood: He becomes a bridge builder like his grandfather.
"If something is precious to you, no matter how painful or how hard it seems, no matter what it may cost you, you have to hang in there and protect it with all the strength that you've got, even at the risk of your own life. If you do that, then even if you die in the attempt, at least the world will be left with proof that a man worth living had died."
A man who saved Inari from some bullies and quickly became part of his family. Inari always considered him his father. Was executed by Gato before the events of the Land of Waves arc.
- An Arm and a Leg: Gato had both his arms chopped off before killing him.
- Bully Hunter: Absolutely despises those who pick on the weak.
- Determinator: No matter what it costs him, he will protect what is precious to him.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has an x-shaped scar on his chin.
- Parental Substitute: Inari always thought of him as his father, because his biological father died shortly after he was born.
- Posthumous Character: Was killed before the Land of Waves arc, but still had a character as clearly defined as the other characters from said arc.
- Second Love: Implied to be this for Tsunami, who lost her first love shortly after their son was born.
"Well if Poochie means so much to you, you better go save him."
Voiced by: Yuko Sato
(JP), Julianne Buescher (EN)
A kid who tried to steal Inari's dog Poochie when he was young, and nearly killed both Poochie and Inari.
- The Bully: He picks on Inari for no reason.
- If I Can't Have You: If he can't have a dog, it must drown.
- Kids Are Cruel: Steals Inari's dog, then tries to drown it when Inari chases after him. He then throws Inari into the river, and leaves Inari there even though it's apparent that Inari can't swim. When one of his fellow bullies voices an objection, he threatens to drown the kid.
A man working on Tazuna's bridge. He quits for his own safety, but Inari later inspires him to come back and help fight Gato.
- The Cavalry: He's a member of the group of civilians that appear to save the day at the end of the Land of Waves arc.
- Took a Level in Badass: At first he was terrified of Gato, but Inari inspires him and he joins the charge of civilians who come to stop Gato.
Land of Rain
The long-lived and legendary leader of Amegakure ("The Hidden Rain Village"). The reason the Sannin are recognized as the Sannin is the fact that they were able to fight this guy to a draw. Pain later kills him and takes over Amegakure for his own goals, not that it prevents Kabuto from bringing him back to life with Edo Tensei.
- Asshole Victim: Pain destroyed him and everything ever connected to him. He personally had it coming, though maybe not everyone else connected to him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He was the leader of Ame and a ninja of legendary power, so much so that he was the one that named the Sannin such.
- Crazy Survivalist: Paranoid and frequently takes extreme measures to neutralize anything he sees as a threat. Antagonizes a group of very powerful but non-violent ninja out of paranoia they might try to usurp him. This eventually comes back to bite him when he and everyone he's ever known gets killed in revenge for his Moral Event Horizon.
- The Dreaded: Again, the reason the Sannin are revered throughout the world is because they were able to survive - that is, not win, but survive - a battle with him.
- Fallen Hero: Hanzo used to believe in peace, and wanted to unite the Five Great Ninja Villages, but then he got cynical around the Second Shinobi World War, and became only interested in protecting his nation, and specifically himself, and maintaining his power. Even Nagato used to respect him, but after the Akatsuki hostage situation which killed Yahiko, he returned (in Yahiko's body, no less) dismissing him as a coward, and killed him.
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: Mifune even notes that his attack isn't as sharp as it used to be.
- Playing with Fire: His one jutsu shown (which uses exploding tags), other than his salamander summon, is stated to be a fire release.
- Poisonous Person: Implanted the venom sac of a rare and dead black salamander into his body, giving him resistance to poison and making his entire body toxic.
- Poisoned Weapons: The kama of his kusari-gama is coated with salamander poison.
- Posthumous Character: At least he was one until Kabuto revived him, anyways.
- Redemption Equals Death: Having been revived by Kabuto and then lost to Mifune, who lectured him about his lost faith, he regains his faith in peace and decides to cut open the salamander venom sac implanted in his body so he can be sealed, preventing Kabuto from taking control of him.
- Scars Are Forever: Has one across his right cheek.
- Seppuku: He cuts open his own stomach after his second fight with Mifune. However, the actual reason isn't suicide, but to cut open the salamander venom sac implanted in his body, thus allowing him to be sealed.
- Sinister Scythe/Epic Flail: His weapon of choice is a kusari-gama.
- Sparing The Aces: He used to spare the lives of enemies strong-willed enough to give him a good fight; he did this with both the Sannin (a Red Baron he coined) and Mifune.
- Super Speed: His speed was said to be unsurpassed over water.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: While he was interested in uniting the Great Ninja Villages, Nagato mentioned that Hanzo's war efforts are part of the reason the Land Of Rain became such a hellhole in the first place. Once Hanzo gave up on peace, his people continued to suffer because of him until Nagato took him down. Hanzo is a case of this trope not being played sympathetically, as we've seen that the good intentions Hanzo had starting out did not make him any less of a bastard later in life.
- The Worf Effect: While he managed to fight the Sannin to a draw and once fought [[spoiler:and won against Mifune, he is killed off-panel by Pain, to show how dangerous he is. Then when he is resurrected by Edo Tensei, he is beaten by Mifune to give the series' samurai some credit. However, it's justified when you consider that Pain is a Six Man Army who pretty much worfs everyone, including the entire Hidden Leaf Village. Mifune also implies that Hanzo's been somewhat out of practice since his prime.
- Worthy Opponent: To Mifune.
Land of Iron
The general in charge of the Land of Iron
, which is a neutral country with its own culture. It is unique among the countries, in that it is protected by samurai instead of hired ninja. He is a veteran soldier and a master swordsman, with a skillset that focuses on the use of Iai; the art of quickly drawing a sword for a slash before sheathing the sword again. He is so skilled with this technique that he is capable of interrupting ninja hand seals before they can be completed. As befitting a samurai, he is a poetic and philosophical man, and is not shy about sharing his ideals during fights with a Worthy Opponent
He acts as host and mediator during the Kage Summit that the Raikage calls forth in response to the threat of Akatsuki. During this summit, he puts forth the idea of forming an alliance between the Great Ninja Villages in response to the Akatsuki threat. He suggests Danzo be appointed leader of the alliance, as his village has the last remaining tailed-beast host, but when Ao accuses Danzo of using a Mind Control
technique (which he admits to) he is outraged. When Sasuke invades the meeting room, he's the first to try to attack Sasuke, though Sasuke blocks it and runs after Danzo. After hearing of Madara's plan, he agrees to have his nation join the alliance against him. In the war against Madara, he is the commander of Division 5 AKA the Special OPS Division.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Hanzo may have taken on all three Sannin by himself, but he can't even touch Mifune in their battle. Granted, Hanzo was much, much stronger and the Sannin much weaker back then, but it still shows how good Mifune is.
- There's also the very important factor of Hanzo having lost the drive he had in life.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: Mifune goes helmetless for the Fourth Shinobi World War while still wearing armor.
- Four-Star Badass: General of the samurai and a more than capable fighter himself.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: A master of the technique and fast enough with it to intercept a ninja about to perform hand-seals.
- Katanas Are Just Better: A samurai in a series about ninja where swords of any kind are pretty rare.
- Laser Blade: Not completely straight, but the chakra surrounding their blades have essentially the same qualities as one.
- Mage Killer: Sort of, in that he doesn't have ninjutsu or genjutsu, but just plain uses his mastery of Iai to stop enemy ninja from performing jutsu.
- Master Swordsman: Specifically known as a master of Iai, he's shown to be one of the best swordsmen in the series.
- Named After Somebody Famous: His name comes from the actor Toshiro Mifune, who is famous for his numerous roles as samurai and ronin. As well as that, his sword Meitou Kurosawa is named after the director Toshiro Mifune frequently worked with, Akira Kurosawa.
- Named Weapons: His katana is named Meitou Kurosawa.
- Old Master: He's old but still strong enough to go mano e mano with Hazo.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Mifune is a calm and wise leader with a neutral viewpoint upon the conflicts of the ninja villages. During the Kage Summit, in which he is host, he suggests the Kages form an alliance against Akatsuki. He also decides to join this alliance with his samurai after hearing of Tobi's plans.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Mifune and Hanzo engage each other in one twice. Once in the distant past, where Hanzo won, and now in the current time, where Mifune wins.
- Spellblade: He and the other samurai are capable of channeling chakra through their swords into various shapes.
- Super Mode: Gains a chakra cloak thanks to Naruto giving him chakra which greatly increases his power.
Okisuke (オキスケ, Okisuke) is a samurai from the Land of Iron and one of Mifune's right-hand-men and bodyguards alongside Urakaku.
- Satellite Character: His character revolves almost completely around serving Mifune.
- Scarf of Asskicking: A dark red one which almost completely obscures his mouth and neck.
- Spellblade: He and the other samurai are capable of channeling chakra through their swords into various shapes.
- The Stoic: Shows little to no emotion in all of his appearances.
- Sword Beam: The chakra can be used against foes for a devastating ranged attack.
The Ōtsutsuki Clan
The very first Chakra user, as a result of eating a fruit from the world tree, and the mother of Hagoromo Otsutuski, aka, The Sage of Six Paths.
- Abusive Precursors: Her son at least meant well. She outright views everyone but her as tools.
- Ambiguously Human: Her place of origin is unknown even to her son and her Horned Humanoid appearance coupled with Monochromatic Eyes suggests she might have been an alien unless she gained those traits from consuming the Shinju's fruit. The fourth databook ambiguously states she is from another land.
- Antagonist Abilities: Via Energy Absorption, she gains All Your Powers Combined from the Shinobi Alliance. She is also a Reality Warper capable of bending space and time to place her opponents into near-instant-death scenarios.
- The Assimilator: Her ultimate aim is to collect the chakra from everyone in the world into herself and convert them into White Zetsu soldiers under her control.
- Badass: Single handedly stopped all conventional war.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Her entire purpose to the plot is to kill off Madara and Obito.
- Bad with the Bone: Like Kimimaro, she can manipulate her skeletal structure. Her bones, however, also immediately kill whatever they hit.
- Ballistic Bone: Can fire bone arrows out of the palms of her hands. That, combined with her Portal Network, greatly expands her Instant Death Radius.
- Battle Aura: She can conjure forth massive chakra arms. She and Naruto went JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on each-other, which she ended up winning, and later on she uses it to completely demolish Sasuke's Perfect Susanoo twice..
- Berserk Button: Flip-flopped. Reminding her of her sons seems to set her off at some times, though at other times it seems to awaken what humanity she has left.
- Big Bad: She becomes directly involved in the plot after usurping Madara's scheme and using his body to retake physical form.
- Bigger Bad: She's the instigator of everything in the series, and the true identity of the Ten Tails. Also, Black Zetsu is a manifestation of her will, and caused everything in the series to resurrect her.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: It takes Black Zetsu telling her to just kill Naruto for her to actually try, despite seeing his skill level. This is partially a Justified Trope in that she wanted to absorb his chakra instead, but does not justify why, considering the amount of power, she didn't attempt it anyway.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: The only reason she doesn't immediately kill her opponents is because she wants to absorb their chakra. In the case of weaker opponents like Sakura and Kakashi, it appears she simply doesn't consider them worth the effort.
- Classic Villain: Unlike Madara or Obito, all that there really is to Kaguya is Gluttony and Greed.
- Clipped Wing Angel: She gets forced to transform into the Ten Tails after Naruto hits her with his Tailed Beast Rasenshuriken, but it backfires due to the beasts' chakra being destabilized by the attack and she transforms into an amorphous mass instead. She's still dangerous due to being able to project chakra-draining tentacle-arms. Unusual for this trope, however, is that she changes back to normal of her own accord after absorbing even more chakra as this form proves less than effective. Her Demonic Statue of the Outer Path form also qualifies, as while it's powerful enough to repel multiple powerful attacks it spends most of its time bound, gagged, and immobile.
- Combo Platter Powers: She's basically a walking natural disaster.
- Complete Immortality: Appears to possess this. She refers to herself as "immortal" and none of the other characters even bring up the idea of killing her. Assuming it were even possible for her to die, she may well reincarnate as strong as ever just as the tailed beasts can.
- Cry Cute / Death Glare: Not cute, but the soft face she has when Naruto and Sasuke briefly remind her of her sons could count and the change in her demeanor is noticeable. Then she declares she hates them, making good use of all three of her eyes.
- Deconstruction: A massive one of both the Conservation of Ninjutsu and Unskilled, but Strong tropes.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Subverted, Hagoromo and Hamura could only seal her at best in the past and once she appears in the present, Naruto and Sasuke never even mention the possibility of coming up with a strategy to ultimately defeat her with; they immediately decide that the only way they can win is by sealing her again.
- Despotism Justifies the Means: Her entire motivation to turn everyone, including animals, into Zetsus seem to be this. It was probably why she absorbed the God Tree at one point as well. Unlike Madara's or Obito's motives, she just wanted all the power in the world for herself.
- Diabolus Ex Nihilo: Kaguya summarized in 3 words. Kishimoto did state that he had no idea at the time of Chapter 667 how to get Madara defeated and Kaguya fits the description on the trope page to a T. And that was really the only lasting impact of Kaguya's brief appearance, though it did set up the scene for the long awaited final showdown between Naruto and Sasuke.
- Did Not See That Coming: Naruto and Sasuke rush her from either side with the seals. She tries to get to a portal to dimension jump but is thwarted by Sakura of all people dropping down on her from above and hitting her with a normal punch. Giving time for the boys to hit her with the seals.
- Disproportionate Retribution: For the utterly heinous crime of being born with chakra that she didn't have Kaguya turned herself into an Eldritch Abomination and rampaged across the world while trying to eat her sons.
- Distracted by the Sexy: During battle she actually turned off her Byugukan to check out Naruto's Sexy Jutsu. She gets distracted by eleven hot naked men long enough for Naruto to successfully land a punch on her.
- Disc One Final Boss: If you count Sasuke and Toneri as the True Final Bosses.
- The Dreaded: Kaguya was originally hailed as a goddess for stopping all wars around the world, but since her tactics involved sheer power and violence and she could cast natural disasters upon her foes she became feared as a demon. It turned out that the demon moniker was a (very apt) reference to her form as the Ten Tails.
- Dull Surprise: Noticeably averted. Due to her status as The Quiet One, her expressions do a lot of her talking for her. Kishimoto's pretty good about this in general, but seems to have taken extra care with Kaguya.
- Energy Absorption: She's capable of draining chakra from jutsu as well as people. Because of this, she can easily No Sell ordinary jutsu, including the likes of Amaterasu.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Subverted. She's a princess, but all the crazy started with her.
- Evil Matriarch: Of the dramatic variety. She and her first two sons had a... falling out over her methods of achieving peace. It came to blows when she grew jealous of the power they inherited from her and she transformed into a monster to take it back.
- Extra Eyes: Has a third eye in the middle of her forehead.
- Fallen Heroine:
- It's unknown how good her intentions were when she began using chakra to pacify humanity but she surely slid down over time to influence Madara into committing all the stuff he did.
- Hagoromo confirms that she indeed used to have good intentions. He's unsure why she committed a Face-Heel Turn but speculates that eating the chakra fruit had something to do with it.
- Familiar: Black Zetsu is this to some extent, containing Kaguya's will and orchestrating her resurrection. He hides in her left sleeve, providing pointers and using his power to drain chakra when he gets the chance.
- Fatal Flaw: Greed. Her need to own everything lead to her being stuck as the Ten-Tails. But her Gluttony is even worse, Kaguya's overindulgence causes her to make many, many, many mistakes.
- Femme Fatalons: Her nails are shown to be quite long and pointed at the tips.
- Final Boss: Of the manga.
- Final Exam Boss: Shaping into one for Naruto requiring not only all his newfound tailed beast and Ashura powers, but a lot of call backs to his earliest techniques. Specifically the Sexy Jutsu, the first technique we ever saw him use, and Naruto Uzumaki Barrage.
- Flat Character: Outside of her greed (which is never even really explained) Kaguya has no personality.
- Flash Step: She moves from several meters away from Sakura to right next to her in the time it takes for her to turn around.
- Flechette Storm: She can fire her individual hairs as a barrage of needles, which, coupled with her Byakugan, allows her to strike and disrupt people's chakra points from long range.
- Foreshadowing: During Madara's fight with Naruto, a mysterious voice tells him to absorb the Shinju and when he does, we're treated to a black panel showing only a pair of Byakugan and a Rinne Sharingan eye. Once the Infinite Tsukuyomi is activated, her grinning silhouette appears to overlook the entire landscape. This foreshadows the fact that she had far more to do with the plot than simply being a Neglectful Precursor.
- Arguably foreshadowed even earlier. When the Ten-Tails finished its maturation and its rage towards Naruto manifested, or when Obito lost control over the beast and bloated up like Madara did until he overpowered Kaguya's will.
- Forgot About His Powers: Kaguya is easily the biggest example ever to grace this trope. She won the largest Superpower Lottery in manga history by absorbing the chakra of every ninja alive as well as all the Tailed beasts, giving her access to every jutsu in the world, completely eclipsing Orochimaru's achievements. But she doesn't use even a single one of those techniques, instead entirely relying on her dimensions, her killing bones, massive chakra arms and a Giant Truth Seeking Ball which is little more than brute force at its best. Being the very first chakra user however, she lived in a time when ninjustu didn't exist and it's very plausible that she has no idea how to actually use chakra well enough to reproduce the techniques created by centuries of jutsu development since her time.
- Gets a little ridiculous seeing as how Kaguya had the byakugan to see Sakura coming down along with the fact she could have used shinra tensei to repel the 3 of them, a jutsu she displayed earlier.
- She also for some reason didn't blow Naruto and Sasuke away with her chakra arms like she did three times before in the battle.
- It's more understandable when one considers that according to the official translation she did not have access to all jutsu, only knowledge of all jutsu (via Black Zetsu who had been observing and recording for her). Trying to maintain control over the giant Truth Seeking Orb may also have kept her from stopping Sasuke and Naruto the way she had earlier, and she honestly seemed to not think Sakura would dare attack her.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Kaguya has no characterization beyond being the source of all chakra. Even her motive for turning everyone into white zetsus remains unknown.
- Lampshaded by Naruto, who notes that she's harder to empathize with and understand than his other foes. The Sage notes that she wasn't always like that, but he's unsure what caused her to change. He speculates that it had something to do with her eating the chakra fruit.
- Grand Theft Me: Kaguya being the Ten Tails, uses Black Zetsu to absorb Madara's body instead.
- Gravity Master: She can locally increase gravity, though she is just as vulnerable to it as her opponents. Combined with her ranged bone attacks, however, that drawback is minor.
- Greed: Kaguya wants all chakra for herself and that's all there is to her.
- Green Thumb: She is merged with and can control the Shinju, granting her the Wood Release kekkai genkai.
- Heroic Lineage: The Hyuga, Senju, Uchiha, Uzumaki, and Kaguya clans are all descendants of hers.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: It's revealed that she merged with the God Tree and became the Ten-Tailed Beast.
- Humanoid Abomination: She looks superficially human but possesses horns, the Byakugan, a Third Eye combining the Rinnegan and Sharingan, and enough chakra to dwarf the Ten Tails. Plus, she lived during a time when humans were without chakra and was thus viewed as a Physical God and demon. She also transformed into the Ten-Tailed Beast in order to reclaim the chakra she'd passed on to her sons.
- Irony: All that power she has at her command and it's just an unexpected normal punch from Sakura that ultimately stops her.
- Despite having won the largest Superpower Lottery in manga history and having the chakra and abilities of every ninja and Tailed beast on record, she doesn't use even one ability other than her own and probably doesn't know how.
- It's All About Me: She thinks that all Chakra should belong solely to her. Even her beloved sons were not exempt from her greed.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Honestly, after all the shit he pulled over the years while having his hissy fit killing Obito doesn't come off as an unforgivable sin. And neither does killing Madara.
- Light Is Not Good: Just like Jinchuriki!Obito and Jinchuriki!Madara before her, she's dressed in a white robe. This does not make her saintly in the slightest.
- Like a God to Me: Some revered her as the "Rabbit Goddess" for her power.
- Magical Eye: She has the Byakugan for her regular eyes, and a Third Eye called the Rinne Sharingan, which combines the powers of the Rinnegan and Sharingan.
- Make Them Rot: Being struck by her bones has this effect.
- Mana Drain: Her hair can drain chakra, and she can also use Black Zetsu to drain those her hair can't.
- Meaningful Name: She is named after the moon princess of Shinto legend, Kaguya. One of her monikers was even Rabbit Goddess.
- Mook Maker: She used the Infinite Tsukuyomi to create an army of Zetsu.
- Moon Rabbit: Named for the moon princess of Shinto legend, and has horns that appear like a rabbit's ears on her head. She's revered as the "Rabbit Goddess" by some ages past. Interestingly, she existed before her son created the moon, and was sealed inside the moon as the Ten-Tails.
- Her mutated unstable form resembles a gigantic rabbit attached to a floating sphere, fulfilling her namesake.
- My Beloved Smother: At least part of her motivation for trying to take back her sons' chakra was because she hated the idea of her boys becoming independent. Naruto calls her out on it.
- Never My Fault: At least post insanity, the very possibility of her being wrong never seems to occur to her. Even when she is beaten her reaction is simple disbelief at the injustice of her falling to chakras lesser than her own.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Despite (temporarily) ending all war, her consuming of the World Tree's fruit would eventually lead to ALL of the suffering found in the ninja world, after conventional weapons gave way to chakra-based fighting.
- Nightmare Face: Sports one when she reaffirms her desire to kill Naruto and Sasuke and consume their chakra. After being presented as a completely in-control Perpetual Frowner, it's a bit jarring to see that she really could be insane.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Her ancient noblewoman-esque look, horns and third eye make her stand out from the cast in general, but she especially stands out in comparison to other women in the series; despite having a more classically feminine appearance, she's drawn more sharply and with a colder look about her than other female characters, including other villains.
- Offing the Offspring: She wanted to eat her sons because they had the gall to be born with chakra.
- One-Winged Angel:
- When she realized just how much power she'd passed on to her sons, she merged with the God Tree and turned into the Ten-Tails to take her chakra back. After having all of her chakra removed she is transformed into the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, which while vastly weaker than her Ten Tailed Beast form is still powerful enough to No Sell powerful attacks.
- When she's hit by nine Rasenshurikens, each empowered by one of the nine beasts, she tries to turn into the Juubi but the beasts try to break free, causing her to mutate into a massive amalgam of the nine beasts with Kaguya herself becoming a fanged rabbit with the Third Eye of the Ten-Tails as the Tenth head.
- Outside-Context Villain: Nobody saw her coming, not even Madara himself, who knew of her but not of her significance. Even Hagoromo never realized that she was the Ten-Tails, something Black Zetsu mocks. Interestingly, this actually works both ways: She initially mistook Naruto and Sasuke for being her own sons' reincarnations, rather than her grandsons' via Hagoromo. She doesn't appear to be fully up on recent events, which is justified considering she spent most of ninja history as the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path.
- Justified, because Black Zetsu, who is a brilliant enough Chess Master to have orchestrated all of ninja history, deliberately erased almost all records of her to ensure that nobody was prepared to fight her.
- Parts Unknown: She came from some distant, unheard of, foreign land. Not even her son knows where she's from.
- Perpetual Frowner: Except for the time she sported a Slasher Smile.
- Physical Goddess: Like her son the Sage of Six Paths, she was incredibly powerful. Unlike him, she was also variously worshipped as a goddess or considered a demon. She was also the only person who had chakra at first, which put her way above the rest of humanity in general.
- Posthumous Character: Like her son, is only referred to in past tense. Unlike him, she re-attains her body in the flesh.
- Power Floats: Like Obito and Madara. Unlike them, she seems to prefer floating over standing. We've never managed to see her legs because of this.
- Prehensile Hair: Not only is it prehensile, it can drain chakra. Naruto and Sasuke avoid this fate thanks to the powers they got from the Sage.
- The Quiet One: The majority of her dialogue consists of her making brief statements to other characters, and she only once acknowledges a question she receives.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is over twice as long as she is tall.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Up to Eleven, as ridiculous as that sounds. Naruto, who had previously confirmed that it was pointless to attempt to meassure the Ten Tails' chakra levels due to it being, quite simply, immesurable states that Kaguya's chakra levels are even greater than the Ten Tails'... Which kinda makes sense since she has the chakra of both the Ten Tails and the entire shinobi alliance.
- Red Baron: She was either worshipped as the Rabbit Goddess, or feared as the Ten Tails Demon.
- Reality Warper: Kakashi compares her manipulation of dimensions with Genjutsu but they are all real.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Her sons sealed her away a long time ago. Naruto and Sasuke manage to do the same in the present, this time throwing Black Zetsu in with her to make sure her munitions are thwarted for good.
- And this time she's sealed in a can within an even bigger can, namely her own dimension which no one else but she could access. This time she's locked in a double safe with all the keys thrown in for good measure to ensure she's sealed forever.
- She Who Fights Monsters: She put an end all the wars that plagued her world. Unfortunately, her power was too much and she eventually lost control and became corrupted. In a literal example, she became the Ten Tails Eldritch Abomination after absorbing the Holy Tree and ended up as a Demonic Statue that couldn't return to her human form until recovering all her chakra back, which was why she became known as a demon.
- Shock and Awe: She's been shown to bring down lightning storms in a flashback.
- Slasher Smile: Her silhouette sports one as she ominously overlooks the landscape once Madara activates the Infinite Tsukuyomi. This particularly stands out, as she's otherwise a Perpetual Frowner.
- Spikes Of Doom: Bone spikes jut out of her when she uses her Dead Bone Pulse techniques.
- Spotting the Thread: After getting fooled by Naruto's shadow clones, she quickly deduces how to locate the real one among them. Naruto gets around this by deliberately moving his truth-seeking orbs to one of his clones, making her think it's the real one..
- Story-Breaker Power: The only reason the manga didn't end with her resurrection is because she needs Naruto and Sasuke's chakra. See Superpower Lottery down below.
- Summon Magic: She has six personal dimensions she can either summon or teleport to at will. The ones shown so far include a volcano, a glacier, a desert, a sea of acid, and a tundra which serves as the Hub Level for the other five. This allows her to either completely change the environment on a whim, or dodge attacks by moving between dimensions. She can also send her opponents to different dimensions to keep them from coordinating.
- Super Power Lottery: Being the source of all chakra, and having absorbed the chakra power of every shinobi living, she essentially has every single power seen in the Naruto universe, and at least in theory, should be capable of using those jutsu in far more powerful ways than any other ninja could. She's got the Sharingan, the Rinnegan, the Byakugan, the original chakra from the Shinju's fruit plus the combined chakra of basically the entire Shinobi Alliance and being the Juubi, she has all Tailed Beast abilities and those of the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, Weather Manipulation powers, Sage Mode and Senjutsu attacks, Summon Magic so powerful it's just one step away from reality warping, extremely versatile space-time Jutsu comprising of instant, untraceable teleportation and the ability to open portals at will and use them for long range attacks, a Battle Aura even better than Naruto's and just as versatile, and finally has One-Hit Kill bone attacks.
- Thinking Up Portals: She can open and move through portals.
- Third Eye: She has the Rinne Sharingan, which as its name suggests has the combined powers of both a Rinnegan and Sharingan, and enables her to use the Infinite Tsukuyomi.
- This Cannot Be!: Her reaction to Naruto and Sasuke managing to seal her yet again.
- Thought-Controlled Power: Her powers do not require hand seals nor does she need to call her attacks, nor is there any channeling time for any of her abilities.
- Transformation Of The Possessed: When she steals Madara's body, she converts it into her own form.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Kaguya is a very poor tactician by a massive stretch, even by average Genin standards! If anything, she was more effective when she was a rampaging Juubi. Her power is so ridiculously great that the thought of actually needing to apply it wisely is alien to her. She's almost completely reliant on Black Zetsu to give her pointers in battle, uses her vast power indiscriminately without care or concern for how much of it she's wasting, causing her to run out of energy despite having the whole planet's total chakra reserves, completely throws away the Superpower Lottery she won from absorbing the chakra of every ninja and Tailed beast alive, not using even ONE technique other than her own, has virtually zero taijutsu skill as far as we saw, wastes time in not killing the much weaker Naruto and Sasuke as soon as possible, falls prey to simple tricks Naruto invented back when he was a Genin and gets ultimately sealed by a coordinated attack from Team 7. Thanks to her inexperience in making decisions in the heat of battle, she gets sealed in her own dimension which no one else can access to revive her ever again. On top of it all, she even wonders how she could have been defeated. While ninjutsu and battle tactics have evolved for thousands of years since her time and she has little experience in fighting people with similar chakra powers, her performance falls so flat that it raises the question as to whether Kaguya, raised as a royal princess who was once kind and caring before she ate the Shinju's fruit, knew anything about real fighting at all.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: See Nice Job Breaking It, Hero above... although recent revelations suggest her actions were deliberate.
- Villainous Glutton: In a sense. After they survive the volcano, the only reason she doesn't straight up kill Naruto and Sasuke is because she thirsts for their chakra.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: As she is being sealed away again, her rabbit-monster head pukes up Madara's body.
- Walking Spoiler: Her entire existence is this.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Even after she is sealed again, the manga gives vague details about her backstory or motives at best. Even her own son admits that he doesn't know much about her. Only time will tell if this trope holds up.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: According to one of her sons, the Sage, this is what happened to her due to being so disproportionately powerful compared to everyone else. She initially used her power to pacify conflict through brute force, and with time, it got worse. Her sanity eventually descended so far that she ultimately tried to make all of humanity into Empty Shells to serve as her toy soldiers, probably with the same motives as Obito and Madara.
- And then it got much worse when she realized how much chakra she had passed on to her sons. To get back her power, she merged with the Holy Tree and together they became the Ten Tails, with her consciousness driving its rampage. That's right, this woman turned into a truly insane, absolutely berserk Eldritch Abomination that was mostly her with some God tree added to get back her power from her sons.
- Woman Behind The Man: After Madara absorbs the Shinju upon direction from a mysterious voice, a blacked out panel shows a pair of glaring Byakugan and a third eye that looks like a combination of the Sharingan and Rinnegan, and when he activates the Eternal Tsukuyomi a spectral image of her sporting a Slasher Smile can be seen with the moon itself as her Third Eye. This is cemented when Black Zetsu is revealed to be a manifestation of her will, and literally stabs Madara in the back, transfers itself to him, and transforms him into Kaguya herself.
- Worlds Strongest Woman: She's stated by her son to be the most powerful person that ever lived, and she doesn't disappoint when she shows up in person. And even then she is holding back, as she is trying to absorb their chakra: if she weren't, she'd have killed them in seconds.
The youngest son and successor of the Sage of Six Paths, and the ancestor of the Senju and Uzumaki clans.
- Animal Battle Aura: Was capable of conjuring one with a strong resemblance to Naruto's Tailed Beast Mode, only with six arms and three faces.
- BFS: Wielded a nodachi, although he also took up a khakkhara like his father's.
- Cain and Abel: Started out as the Cain to Indra's Abel, but they swapped later in life.
- Eternal Hero: His chakra was so potent that even after his physical death it persisted and was reincarnated several times.
- Heroic Lineage: Was the ancestor of the Senju and Uzumaki clans.
- Irony: Despite being known as someone who lacked natural talent, he eventually grew in status and his descendants were the Senju and Uzumaki clans; both would be renowned for their vast array of skills in ninjutsu and sealing methods.
- Meaningful Name: His Animal Battle Aura had six arms and three faces, and his brother's name was Indra, after the leader of the Deva in Hinduism. Hindu mythology holds that the Devas and Asuras are perpetually at war.
- The Power of Friendship/The Power of Love: Initially lacked his brother's power, but through fostering camaraderie and alliances he eventually unlocked the power within himself and kickstarted the Will of Fire.
- Spell My Name with an "S": "Ashura" is the phonetic translation from hiragana, whereas the Naruto wiki has decided to go with "Asura", which makes more sense all things considered.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Hashirama took a great deal of his features from him. Heck, his hairstyle is even somewhat similar to Naruto's.
- The Unfavorite: Was initially this, although his hard work impressed his father and led him to be named the Sage's successor.
- Walking Spoiler: If only for one major reason: Hashirama and Naruto are his reincarnations.
The eldest son of the Sage of Six Paths, and the ancestor of the Uchiha clan.
- BFS: Wielded a nodachi.
- Broken Ace: According to Hagoromo himself, Indra was an Ineffectual Loner who had the power to accomplish anything he put his mind to by himself, and as a result couldn't comprehend The Power of Friendship and was ultimately consumed by hatred.
- Cain and Abel: Became the Cain to Ashura's Abel.
- Exotic Eye Designs: What is presumably his Mangekyo Sharingan took the form of a spiral similar to the insignia of the Uzumaki clan.
- Eternal Hero: His chakra was so potent that even after his physical death it persisted and was reincarnated several times.
- Famous Ancestor: He's the founder of the Uchiha Clan.
- Instant Armor: Was the first to call upon Susanoo and achieve its perfect form.
- Karma Houdini: Of a sort. He started a generations long feud that resulted in countless deaths and fostered a general attitude of It's All About Me in his descendants but his crimes were completely swept under the rug by the Sage of Six Paths, who claims it's his own fault for choosing Asura over Indra.
- Magical Eye: Was the first to possess the Sharingan and Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Meaningful Name: In Hinduism Indra is a warrior-god and the leader of the Devas. Naruto's Indra was the founder of the Uchiha Clan and the opponent of his brother Ashura. Hindu mythology believes that the Devas are always at war with Asuras.
- The Power of Hate: Was the one who started the Uchiha Clan's Curse of Hatred.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He and Madara look very similar to each other.
- Unwitting Pawn: It turns out he was one to Black Zetsu, who manipulated him into attacking his younger brother Ashura and starting the feud between their descendants in his pursuit to revive the brothers' grandmother.
- Walking Spoiler: If only for one major reason: Madara and Sasuke are his reincarnations.
The Sage of Six Path's twin brother. After defeating their mother he took his family to the moon where they watch over the remains of the Ten Tails.
- Badass: Fought the Ten-Tails alongside his brother.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: To reiterate. He took his family to live on the moon.
- Famous Ancestor: He's the ancestor of the Hyūga clan.
- Horned Humanoid: Inherited from his mother, though his are bigger than his brother's.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Inverted, same as with his brother; all the emphasis is on his mother.
- Magic Eye: He inherited his mother's Byakugan.
- Posthumous Character: Has only been mentioned twice, in passing, by his brother's ghost and his reincarnated mother. Nothing aside from his existence is known so far, except his name and that he had the Byakugan.
The guy who wrote the Naruto
manga (but only in Real Life
). In chapter three of the manga, a billboard with him on it is shown in Konoha.
- Creator Cameo: His face appears on a billboard.
- Famed in Story: Judging from the billboard, he's quite famous.
- The Ghost: He never actually appears. All we see of him is the billboard.