Characters: Naruto - Hidden Sand Village
aka: Naruto-Hidden Sand Village
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
- Blow You Away: They are the main village of Wind Country, after all. Temari, Gaara, and Baki are all confirmed to have wind-nature chakra.
- Darker and Edgier: Suna sometimes is portrayed as this towards Konoha, with both still being on the side of good. The fans sometimes take it further.
- Knight of Cerebus: The Chunin Exams only got super-serious when we started seeing what Gaara and his siblings could do. And that's not counting the invasion...
- Marionette Master: All puppeteers shown are from Suna, and the technique presumably originated there.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: How Orochimaru was able to manipulate them into invading—by impersonating their leader.
- Only One Name: Not a single person from Suna has ever had their last name revealed. Some, like the former Kazekages, didn't even have their first names revealed until the manga was almost over (and only in a databook, at that).
- Some fans misappropriate ninja titles as names, using "Sabaku" as the last name for Gaara and his siblings and "Akasuna" for Sasori, when really they're just descriptors.
- Selective Magnetism: The country to originate the Magnet Release bloodline limit and the third and fourth Kazekage both had it. The Third used it on "Iron Sand". The Fourth used it on "Gold Dust".
- Took a Level in Kindness: The Sand characters are less actively aggressive after the Time Skip.
Gaara of the Desert
"One day, I'd like to become something precious to others, too, not just to be viewed as some hideous weapon, but as the Sand's next Kazekage."
Gaara of the Sand Waterfall is a young shinobi from the Hidden Sand Village who makes his first appearance in the Chunin Exam arc as Naruto's Evil Counterpart
. Like Naruto, Gaara had a Tailed Beast, the maniacal sand spirit Shukaku, sealed in him by his father, the Fourth Kazekage, before he was even born. The Kazekage's intent was for him to become a weapon for the village, but after several years declared the experiment a failure and repeatedly tried to have the child assassinated. However, Shukaku's power protected Gaara from all harm. Gaara eventually grew to enjoy killing the assassins his father sent after him, reasoning that only through killing could he validate his own existence.
Gaara speaks in a dull monotone at all times except when he's in a killing frenzy. (This is later explained by the fact that Shukaku eats away at his consciousness when he sleeps, so he's become a chronic insomniac.) Even after his Heel-Face Turn
, he is quiet, creepy, and not very social.
At the end of the Invasion of Konoha arc, Gaara faces off against Naruto, who beats him with The Power of Friendship
. The battle causes Gaara to reconsider his philosophy. He vows to protect the ones close to him rather than attempt to destroy them, and makes it his goal to win the trust and admiration of his village. Gaara feels indebted to Naruto for the insight.
Later, Gaara and his siblings appear as allies in a Big Damn Heroes
moment at the end of the Sasuke Retrieval arc. Gaara is matched up with the strongest opponent, Kimimaro, and battled him to a draw before Kimimaro's terminal illness took his life.
All of Gaara's jutsu revolve around sand. He carries a gourd filled with it at all times and can control its movements instinctively. Shukaku, wanting to protect its vessel, always moves the sand as a shield to protect Gaara (even when he doesn't want it to), which wards off most blows, although it can be defeated with sufficient speed. When the Shukaku is extracted from him, this power remains and it is revealed later on (in the Fourth Shinobi World War Arc) that it is in fact his mother's love and protection that motivates the sand to protect him. Before the main storyline, Gaara had never been injured thanks to the sand shield. In addition to this defense, Gaara can wear the sand as armor, although this is heavier and requires more chakra and effort to maintain. His main battle tactic is to remain stationary and lash out at his opponent with waves of sand from a distance, relying on the sand shield and armor to defend him. When he has finally captured his opponent with the sand, he can use his signature offensive jutsu, "Sand Coffin", to encase his enemy in sand and uses the "Sand Burial" jutsu to crush them, killing them instantly.
, Gaara has become the Fifth Kazekage. The first major arc of the new series revolves around him, as he is defeated and captured by the Akatsuki, who attempt to extract Shukaku from his body as part of their mission to collect all nine Tailed Beasts. The reformed Team 7, as well as Team Guy and Chiyo of the Sand Village, mount a rescue mission. The Akatsuki manages to delay the rescuers long enough to extract the spirit, killing its host; however, Chiyo sacrifices her own life to revive him. It's unknown to what degree, if any, his abilities were affected.
After attending the meetings of the Kages called by the Raikage, he is appointed as the Regimental Commander of the Allied Shinobi Forces, and also commands the 4th/Long-Ranged-Battle Division. Fortunately, he still possesses enough power to be compared with Shukaku itself.
His hobbies are battling and cultivating cacti.
Favorite words:"love for oneself" and later, "affection" and "future"
Kankuro is the second child of the Fourth Kazekage and Gaara's older brother. He tries to control Gaara's homicidal tendencies as best he can, but fears the younger boy's abilities and is thus fairly ineffectual in that respect. He's pretty confident and doesn't have a whole lot of respect for other people; his first appearance in the series sees him bullying Naruto's young friend Konohamaru. Kankuro always wears the robes and face paint of a theater performer, and speaks in that fashion in the original Japanese.
Kankuro fights Shino during the Invasion of Konoha arc and is defeated, but not before poisoning the latter. He reappears along with his siblings at the end of the Sasuke Retrieval arc, saving Kiba and easily killing Sakon and Ukon.
Kankuro is a puppeteer, which means he fights with mechanical contraptions, controlling them with strings of chakra that he can extend from his fingertips. Puppets are unliving machines, so they can't use chakra, but each of them is outfitted with an array of weapons and poisons. Kankuro can also use the Substitution jutsu to seamlessly switch places with his puppets, causing his enemies to attack the puppets instead. He picks up a new puppet with each new appearance. All of Kankuro's puppets were designed by Sasori before he joined the Akatsuki.
, Kankuro is Worfed
by Sasori after Gaara is defeated and abducted by the Akatsuki, giving Sakura a chance to show off her new medical skills, but he managed to get a piece of Sasori's clothing which lets Team 7 track them down. He spends the rest of the arc recovering from his injuries and arguing with the village elders to focus on looking for Gaara instead of choosing his replacement.
He's since acquired a new puppet body: Sasori himself
. Later he goes on to defeat the revived Sasori when they face off a second time, gaining the puppets of Sasori's parents in the process.
His hobby is collecting puppets, and installing and upgrading the mechanisms in them.
Favorite phrase: "One must never miss a good opportunity"
- Anatomy Arsenal: On his puppets.
- Art Attacker: Kankuro uses the puppets he spends his time modifying for battle.
- Beautiful All Along: Well, not a Bishōnen, but he's still quite handsome without his face paint.◊
- Berserk Button: Being underestimated, and after the Time Skip, anyone insulting his brother.
- Big Brother Instinct: One of his Berserk Buttons is anyone insulting Gaara. When Gaara was captured by Akatsuki, Kankurō rushed to his brother's aid alone in an attempt to save him, and risked his life for him, despite the dangers that he put himself in.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: He and Temari act as Gaara's bodyguards during the Kage Summit. He also appears to have settled as the Kazekage's bodyguard.
- Can't Catch Up: While he and his siblings are already presented as dangerous opponents in their first apparition, in Shippuden Kankuro is notably one of the characters less improved during the Time Skip, his only upturn being a third puppet added to his former two which receives fairly little screen time. Even at the end of the series, his biggest feats are focused in field strategy rather than individual fighting like almost everyody else.
- Celibate Hero: One of the few single characters at the end of the manga, and one of the few characters at all without a Love Interest. Like Gaara, he does become an uncle, however.
- Child Hater: Before the Time Skip, he expressed great displeasure of being in the presence of anyone younger than him.
- Creepy Doll: Concept art for the epilogue shows he has a puppet with a nightmarish resemblance to Kaguya Ōtsutsuki.
- Dark Is Evil: Kankuro wears all black and was a real jerk in Part I.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Still keeps his choice of clothing, but is now a goody guy and Took A Level In Kindndess.
- Deadly Gas: One of his puppets has toxic gas implanted into it.
- Dressing as the Enemy: He pass the first part of the Chunin exam by using sand to disguise Karasu as a Konoha examinator. It should be noted as an awesome feat of ninja puppeteering, given that he has to control it through a classroom full of people and desks and simultaneously make it convincing to the rest of exanimators (although at least Ibiki Morino is able to see through the disguise).
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: Kankuro is able to summon a vast array of puppets.
- Facial Markings: Has used three or four different patterns. They are all inspired from traditional makeup used by Japanese puppeteers, as is his outfit.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: The puppet mastery Thief to Temari's powerful wind-style jutsus Fighter and Gaara's Mage, whose sand protects him, but isn't great at actual combat.
- Fingerless Gloves: He sports a black pair and keeps them in Part 2.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: After gaining Sasori's puppet body, he also gains access to its flamethrowers.
- Flechette Storm: When fighting Sasori in the anime, Kankuro attempts a combination attack between Karasu and Kuroari that launches a storm of poisoned senbon at the target while they're surrounded by poisonous gas. After reappearing at the Kage Summit with Sasori's body, he's upgraded to kunai that have bombs attached to them resulting in a massive explosion.
- Hidden Weapons: All of his puppets are loaded with them.
- Hot-Blooded: Not as bad as Naruto or Kiba, but he's got a pretty nasty temper, although he's getting better at controlling it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: His Machine One-Shot technique: after trapping the enemy inside Black Ant, he impales them with blades hidden in Crow's bodyparts.
- It Was a Gift: Sasori passes on the puppets of his parents to Kankuro after their rematch. It's especially noticeable as those two puppets have now been owned by all three puppeteers in the series.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kankuro is prideful (about his village), isn't very fond of children, and can be a bit of a jerk. However, he's shown to be a caring leader and wonderful big brother to Gaara.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: In Shippuuden, after Gaara's Heel-Face Turn, he can be quite impulsive when Gaara is threatened or harmed.
- Long-Range Fighter: Not having Chiyo's taijutsu skills or Sasori's invulnerability, Kankuro is this by necessity as his puppets require his full concentration to work effectively, and fighting at short or medium ranges leave him a vulnerable target.
- He has gotten better, and currently boasts a taijutsu level higher than either of his siblings according to the data books. He also seems to be able to multitask a bit better as well.
- Marionette Master: His attire is based on real-life Marionette puppeteer.
- The McCoy: To Gaara's Spock and Temari's Kirk. While he does have keen mind in strategy, Kankuro is the Hot-Blooded of his siblings and sometimes doesn't think things through.
- Meaningful Name: He's named after a real-life Kabuki actor, hence the facepaint.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: His achievements are usually glossed over when compared to his siblings and his fanbase is the smallest of the three.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother died and his father was hardly around, and he eventually died.
- Poisoned Weapons: The blades of his puppets are laced with poison.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to the revived Sasori after defeating him and Deidara in chapter 518:
Kankuro: Sasori... your strength came because of your soul, not in spite of it. You tried to erase it, to become a puppet yourself, but couldn't change completely. Now you've got your immortal body but you've fallen, sunk to the level of the puppets you used to control. You were supposed to be a top class ninja puppeteer, not a worthless nobody who lets someone else pull the strings.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The loud Hot-Blooded red to Gaara's calm, quiet blue.
- Required Secondary Powers: It is never mentioned, but the sand he uses to disguise his puppets must be another kind of jutsu, probably like Gaara's sand techniques. Same for the way he cheats in the Chunnin exams, as it is never explained exactly how he does it - the only indication revealed is an eye scope in Karasu's masked face, implying he is using some kind of eye jutsu to see the other Genin's efforts.
- Sibling Team: With Gaara and Temari.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He has the closest physical similarities to the Sand Siblings' father.
- Took a Level in Badass: Is named Captain of the Ambush Company in the Fourth Great Ninja War and leads to a victory against Sasori and Deidara with few casualties.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Showed his more caring and protective side post-timeskip.
- Verbal Tic: Has a tendency to end his sentences with 'jaan'.
- Warrior Prince: The middle child and oldest son of the Fourth Kazekage.
- Weak, but Skilled: When compared to his siblings who are both people of mass desctruction who specialize in area attacks, he's definitely this, focusing on sneak attacks with poisoned weapons and single target techniques. Fans have picked up on this with one story referring to him as a garrote wire, not a buster sword during a weapon-related character study.
- Physically talking, however, he is implied to be not precisely weak, as he easily scarf lifts Konohamaru in his first apparition and later carries on his back two puppets which must be a really heavy equipment.
- The Worf Effect: A victim of this, most famously by Sasori's action (albeit Sasori is later shown to be able to worf more or less everybody in the series until that point). A worst example belongs to the filler Ultimate Weapon Arc, in which Kankuro is bested by the relatively unimpressive enemy Ryugan and ends needing Kiba and Choji to defeat him.
- Wrecked Weapon: Gets all of his puppets destroyed in his first fight with Sasori. Luckily, they get fixed in time for the Shinobi World War.
Voiced by: Romi Park
(JP), Tara Platt
(EN), Mayra Arellano (Latin American Spanish), Inés Blásquez (Spain)
Temari is the oldest child and only daughter of the Fourth Kazekage, and the older sister of Gaara and Kankuro. She clearly has an attitude, being quite upfront and abrasive, sometimes to the point of crudeness. But she's also a strong ninja - notably the only female to have made it past the Chunin exams preliminaries - who despises war and who values her family.
Like Shikamaru, she's a master strategist, and most of their appearances have been together. She defeated him during the Chunin Exam arc, and saves him from Tayuya during the Sasuke Retrieval arc. In Shippuden
, she and Shikamaru work on the upcoming Chuunin Exams together. When Naruto sees them walking together, he believes Shikamaru and Temari are dating. Similar to scene a few years earlier, when Kakashi thought the same thing while watching Asuma and Kurenai together
Temari fights with a giant metal fan
which she can use both as a blunt weapon and to create cutting whirlwinds. She's a better fighter at range, according to Kankuro. She believed herself to be the only genin in the Chunin exam capable of using the Summoning Jutsu before Naruto demonstrated his ability to do so.
, Temari has become an emissary between the Leaf and Sand Villages. She wanted to pursue the Akatsuki along with the Leaf Village's rescue team, but the village elders forbade her from doing so, instead putting her on border patrol. She doesn't have much of an effect on the arc.
During the events of the Fourth Ninja War, she is serving under Gaara, and alongside Shikamaru and Choji, in the Fourth Battalion.
Her hobby is flora appreciation.
Favorite phrases: "Sharpen your sickle at sunset" and "One view, a thousand ri" The latter idiom refers to a sweeping view of the eye or a boundless expanse.
- Blow You Away: Uses her fan to create wind attacks. She's acknowledged as one of the best Wind-style users in the Allied Forces. Only Naruto surpasses her, and even then only with raw power.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: She and Kankuro act as Gaara's bodyguards during the Kage Summit.
- Combat Hand Fan: A comically large variant, but still fitting the trope. Appropriately, she uses it for wind attacks.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: A Lady of War who always wears short minidresses or miniskirts (save for the kimono-styled dress she wore just after the Time Skip [pictured above]).
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's a tough lady, as you can tell by her seiyu alone. But thanks to becoming more of a Cool Big Sis to Kankuro and Gaara, and a Ship Tease with Shikamaru, she has significantly mellowed out compared to how much of a bitch she was at the start of the series.
- Everyone Can See It: In episode 316, Matsuri and Yakata blurt out that she has a crush on and likes an intelligent guy. The same intelligent guy people thought she was dating. Temari denies it, but even the rank and file of her division can see she has feelings for Shikamaru.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
(JP), Sam Riegel
(EN), Javier Moreno (Spain), Humberto Velez (Latin American Spanish)
The instructor for the Sand Siblings's team. Discussed the joint Sand/Sound invasion of Konoha with Kabuto, and killed Hayate for overhearing as a sign of trust.
When Deidara invades the Sand Village he leads an unsuccessful attempt to hold him off. He's later seen objecting to suggestions to pick Gaara's successor as Kazekage while he is missing.
His hobby is taking sand baths.
Favorite phrase is "Indomitable perseverance"
- Armor Is Useless: Averted, as his flak jacket appears to be enough to stop Hayate's sword.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Is rarely ever seen after the first arc of Part II, he's hasn't even been spotted in the final War Arc where loads of long-time-not-seen characters come back.
- Eyepatch of Power / Mask Power: Or rather, a piece of cloth that hangs from his head covering half of his face.
- Facial Markings: He sports some red facepaint, not unlike Kankuro's.
- Karma Houdini: He has paid no consequence for murdering Hayate, despite Yugao's swear of revenge.
- Minor Major Character: Despite being the Sand Siblings sensei, which implicitly grants him Kakashi's Evil Counterpart status, Baki plays a very minor role. For such a powerful-looking character, he has barely fought any battles and remains as one of the less explored characters in the series.
- Parental Substitute: To the Sand siblings.
- Razor Wind: He can form a sword made out of wind. This is how he killed Hayate.
"Retired? One foot in the grave? Maybe, but if I hadn't hauled this old body here to face you, I would've died with far too many regrets!"
Sand Village Elder and Sasori's grandmother. An expert on medicine, poison, and puppets as well as a veteran of the Second Great Shinobi War, she holds a great contempt for both Tsunade for countering her poisons and Sakumo Hatake (Kakashi's father) for killing her son and daughter-in-law. After Sasori's parents died by Sakumo's hands, she took care of him and taught him of puppetry. She was the one who Gaara's father asked to seal the One-Tailed Tanuki into Gaara before he was born, after which she ceased involvement with the village's affairs.
When Gaara is kidnapped, she decides to accompany Team 7 as they try to retrieve him. She fights together with Sakura against Sasori, and she capitalizes on an opening left from Sakura taking the blow from a poison sword
to finish him off. She is able to heal Sakura using an ability that transfers her own Life Energy
, but doesn't die because Sakura wasn't quite dead. When she discovers Gaara dying, she transfers what's left of her energy and some of Naruto's into him, reviving him, but dying in the process (considering it an act of redemption).
Kabuto resurrected her with Edo Tensei.
Her hobbies were pretending to be dead, playing senile, and fishing.
Favorite phrase: "Trained by a hundred battles" This idiom refers to a richness in experiences gained through battling through many adversities.
- Action Girl: She is clearly not a girl anymore, but she is female and kick ass, so still qualifies.
- Artificial Limbs: Her right arm is actually a puppet arm which she controls with chakra, and the arm she's shown using opens apart and makes a shield out of chakra.
- The Atoner: Regrets sealing the Shukaku into Gaara, as well as for having a militaristic and isolationist ideology for much of her life.
- Badass Grandma: She uses very deadly puppets as weapons, is a Kung-Fu Wizard, and there's still the Flechette Storm below. Grandma here is DANGEROUS.
- She made Mother and Father strong enough to challenge the Third Kazekage puppet. Wow!
- Cloudcuckoolander: To her brother Ebizo's much chagrin, Chiyo does not take the things seriously for most of the time.
- Combat Medic: Her healing skills are praised by Tsunade of all people.
- Elite Army: The Ten Puppets of Chikamatsu are essentially this, having been enough to take out a fortress and destroy a large number of Sasori's puppets through teamwork and formations.
- Flechette Storm: She can use chakra strings to launch a torrent of kunai without throwing them.
- Weapons That Suck: Her Sanpou Kyukai technique is this creating a crushing vortex that atomizes whoever is caught in it.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: You'd think focusing on fighting with things that you keep a distance from your opponent would leave you inexperienced with hand-to-hand combat, but her taijutsu was good enough that she held back Naruto and several of his clones (though she lacks stamina).
- Marionette Master: One of the two extremes in the series relying on quality over quantity in comparison to her grandson.
- Meaningful Name: Her Sanpou Kyukai technique is a reference to various Buddhist teaching concepts, her Lion-Headed Kannon is a reference to a Bodhisattva figure and Monzaemon Chikamatsu was a famous puppeteer dramatist who was considered the Shakespeare of his day.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: Aged 73 and 149 cm (about 4'8").
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She enjoys playing dead and acting senile to fool others. Doesn't mean she can't kick your ass if she wants to.
- People Puppets: She can use her puppet technique on people as well, as when she uses it on Sakura to help her fight Sasori.
- Person of Mass Destruction: While a lesser example than most in the series, she still fits having been said to take down an entire castle with her puppets.
- Power Nullifier: She has a sealing jutsu that can pin and seal an enemy's chakra.
- Razor Wire: Her Parent Puppets are equipped with some, allowing them to slice and dice with ease.
- Revenge Before Reason: Averted(who is very notable considering this series). She holds no grudge against Kakashi for what his father did, and only attacks him initially because she thought he was the real deal.
- Retired Badass: Her introductory scene? Fishing. Baki had to beg her to get up and help.
The younger brother of Gaara's mom Karura, and his main caretaker until Gaara was six years old. He provoked little Gaara into killing him as a Secret Test of Character
, which is what throws Gaara past the Despair Event Horizon
. Gaara himself wouldn't know about it for many years, thinking that Yashamaru truly hated him. In reality the person he truly hated was Gaara's father, his brother-in-law, the Fourth Kazekage, and that he did care about Gaara.
Favorite word: "affection"
- Combat Medic: Was a medic-nin and an ANBU who served as his brother in laws right hand.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how. In some countries, the dub refers to him as female and Gaara's aunt.
- Flechette Storm: He can use chakra strings to launch a torrent of kunai without throwing them.
- Flying Weapon: The kunais described above.
- Half-Identical Twins: Subverted: him and Karura weren't twins, but looked very much alike anyway. Or it could be just Only Six Faces syndrome.
- Jerk Ass Facade: He didn't do it because he wanted to, but under orders of the Kazekage. It turns out that he didn't hate Gaara at all and legitimately cared for him, and the person he actually hated was his brother-in-law, the Fourth Kazekage.
- Kick the Dog: Telling Gaara that his mom never loved him, then trying to kill him.
- Motive Rant: After an Dramatic Unmask, he tells Gaara that he hated him for being responsible for Karura's death through his birth.It turns out to be an fabricated one to test Gaara's capacity to control the Shukaku under emotional pressure.
- Nice Guy: Subverted; he tells Gaara it was an act when he attempts to assassinate him. This becomes a double subversion when this is revealed to be a lie much later-see the above.
- Parental Substitute: He was the one who raised Gaara.
- Posthumous Character: He's dead by the time the series starts.
- Suicide Attack: He attempted one on Gaara after giving him his Motive Rant, using paperbombs. It obviously didn't work.
- Undying Loyalty: To Suna. As a shinobi, he served as a member of Suna's black ops and as the right hand of the Fourth Kazekage, Gaara's father despite hating him for sealing Shukaku into his pregnant older sister and Gaara's mother. It was because of this loyalty that Yashamaru willingly went through the assassination attempt to test Gaara despite legitimately caring for him.
Voiced by: Yukari Oribe (JP)
The Kazekage's wife, Yashamaru's older sister, and the mom of the Sand Siblings. She died when Gaara was born, having been used as a sacrifice for the Shunkaku to be implanted into her youngest child.
- Death by Childbirth: She was dying from complications after giving birth so she offered herself as the sacrifice to seal the Shukaku in her son.
- Mama Bear: Little Gaara convinced himself that Karura was protecting him via his sand and the Shuukaku, as psychological defense against his horrid life. It turned out that this was true: it's confirmed in her Famous Last Words ("What a small, feeble child... No matter what happens, I'll always protect you! Gaara...!") and by how Gaara's sand, as he gets free from the Kazekage's Gold Dust, takes Karura's form.
- Missing Mom: She died shortly after giving birth to Gaara.
- Posthumous Character: She's dead by the time the series starts.
Rasa (The Fourth Kazekage)
Voiced by: Masahiko Tanaka (JP), Crispin Freeman
(EN), Ricardo Brust (Latin American Spanish)
The former leader of the Hidden Sand Village, a Knight Templar
who reaches horrible extremes to protect his village. These include: using his own wife Karura as a sacrifice to seal the Shukaku into his youngest child, subjecting said child to Training from Hell
and abuse, then attempting to get him killed several times when Gaara didn't turn out to be the perfect Tyke Bomb
Kabuto resurrected him with Edo Tensei. He's now facing the much more adult and mature Gaara, who calls him out on what he did to him ever since he was born. And we also get to see exactly why he was such an asshole.
- Abusive Parents: He was a Doting Parent until Gaara lost control over the Shukaku at around six years old.
- All There in the Manual: His name wasn't revealed until after the manga ended.
- Archnemesis Dad: Up until his death. By the time he was revived by the Edo Tensei, Gaara had already forgiven him, having come to understand his motivations during his time as Kazekage. Before the Fourth is sealed, the two make their peace and he leaves the village in his son's hands.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Subverted - after being revived with Edo Tensei and seeing that his son has become the Kazekage, he calls himself out.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Uses Gold like Gaara uses sand.
- Faceless Eye: He can use his Gold Dust to make a third eye just like his son.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: And heavy which is why he was the perfect counter to the Shukaku's powers in the past.
- Love Makes You Evil: He loved Sunagakure and wanted to protect it. He pulled horrible shit on his own family, to make sure the village could continue to thrive.
- Metallic Motifs: He has a Gold motif which is thematic to his attitude of looking for the value of everything.
- Moveset Clone: He uses many of the same ninjutsu as Gaara only using Gold Dust instead of Sand. This makes sense given Gaara said his father personally tutored him in ninjutsu when he was young.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Nice job turning your youngest child into a Jinchuriki - resulting in most of the village hating and fearing him - sending his uncle, the one person he thought genuinely cared for him, to die on a suicide mission and ordering him to lie to Gaara about how his mother never loved him in order to test Shukaku, and leaving Gaara to grow up hating everyone and everything, believing that no-one ever loved him, and killing people to verify his own existence. Not to mention the impact it must have had on Temari and Kankuro.
- Offing the Offspring: Tries that on young Gaara more than once.
- Pet the Dog: Ultimately telling Gaara that Karura did love him.
- Posthumous Character: A variation. Before he was resurrected by Edo Tensei his only real appearances were in Gaara's flashbacks. By the time the Chunin exams were taking place- which would have been the first time readers had seen him in-person, had Orochimaru not been impersonating him- he was already dead.
- Secret Test of Character: He issued one on Gaara asking Yashamaru to test one last time if Gaara could control himself after he murdered several people.
- Selective Magnetism: His bloodline Magnet Release, as Required Secondary Powers. Yes, gold can be magnetized if in a field.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Both of his sons strongly resemble him despite looking quite different themselves.
- Unnamed Parent: His name is never given in the manga itself. The final databook eventually reveals that his name is Rasa, though it's never mentioned in the actual manga.
- What Were You Thinking?: So you thought that ordering Yashamaru to kill and mentally torture Gaara to see if the already unstable boy was able to have a grip on his beast was a good idea? What an Idiot!
The Third Kazekage
Considered to be the strongest leader of the Sand Village. He was assassinated by Sasori, and his disappearance led to war and the election of the 4th Kazekage.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His Iron Sand was inspired by the One-Tails and its hosts' use of sand.
- Badass: Respected by all in the sand village, and even Sasori says he was hard to kill.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Similar to the 4th Kazekage, the 3rd uses Iron Sand by...
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: After becoming a puppet Sasori installed a seal on his right arm that allows this.
- People Puppets: He became one after his death.
- Poisoned Weapons: Given that Sasori modified him this is par the course.
- Posthumous Character
- Retcon: Originally his bloodline was just magnetism, but was changed to an element years later.
- Selective Magnetism: His bloodline, Magnet Release.
- World's Best Warrior: Is regarded as the strongest Kazekage in all of Suna's history, the keyword here being Kazekage. He was originally considered to be the strongest shinobi Suna had ever produced, and his disappearance during the Third Great Shinobi War was a mystery up to the present storyline, when it was eventually revealed that Sasori killed him. Since Sasori's the one who killed him, that technically makes him the strongest shinobi in Suna's history, hence the Third being only referred to as the strongest Kazekage.
A girl from the Sand village, who is training to become a kunoichi. She's among the first friends Gaara makes after his Heel-Face Turn
, and has a huge crush on him.
- Adaptation Expansion: In the manga she first appears after Gaara's resurrection. She's just one of the two fangirls, with no more importance. The anime makes her to appear much earlier. It also gives her a backstory and some characterization (Nice Girl, Parental Abandonment, Does Not Like Weapons).
- Blow You Away: She is part of Temari's Wind Style squad in the anime.
- Fangirl: For Gaara complete with Squee.
- Faux Action Girl: She usually appears in first line and apparently sports a chuunin rank, which automatically qualifies her as a strong shinobi, but atypically enough, she never fights on-screen in the entire anime and has not shown a single jutsu (although she is supposedly a Wind-style user like Temari).
- Mentor Ship: Has a BIG crush on Gaara, somewhat interesting since she is a year older then him.
- Older Than They Look: Especially in her filler arc: she's a year older than Gaara.
- Only Six Faces: She looks quite similar to Sakura, only with black eyes and brown hair.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents got killed when she was a kid.
- Rank Up: After the timeskip, she is seen donning a full kunoichi outfit, proving that she has graduated to genin status.
- In episode 261, she's seen wearing a Suna flak jacket and standing with the rest of the Allied Shinobi Forces after listening to Gaara's speech, implying that she's been made a chuunin since the time Shippuden started.
- Real Is Brown: After becoming a ninja, her outfit is almost entirely brown and navy, as opposed to the turquoise, yellow, purple, and black she wore before.
- Satellite Character: Her entire characterization centers around her relationship with Gaara.
- Ship Tease: With Gaara.
- Whip It Good: Uses a jouhyou which is a flexible rope with a metal dart at the tip used in Chinese Martial Arts.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In both her main looks.
Voiced by: Yukari Oribe (JP)
A former Sand jounin resurrected as part of Kabuto's immortal army for the Great War.
- Adaptation Expansion: In the manga, she appears in a total of two scenes, killing a couple of red shirts before being defeated off-panel. The anime gives her an episode of her own, explaining her backstory.
- Back from the Dead / Our Zombies Are Different: Revived by edo tensei.
- Blow You Away: The second component of her advanced chakra nature, though like the other we don't see her actually blow people away.
- Et Tu, Brute?: In the anime backstory, she was literally backstabbed by a Mist ninja. When she sees her former pupil supporting one in a mixed team, she is not happy about it.
- One-Hit Kill: You get hit by one of her heat bullets - it will boil the water out of you and leave you a mummified husk. Simple as that.
- Passing the Torch: Before Being sealed her past student convinces her to let go of her hatred-thinking on her student's words Pakura decides to "give the children a chance to change the future" and passes on her will of a better future to to her student.
- Playing with Fire: A component of her advanced chakra nature, though none of the techniques we see her use actually set anything on fire.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Her special Scorch Release bloodline allows her to dramatically raise the temperature of anything her flaming orbs hit.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child/Would Hurt a Child: Was surprised/irritated when she found out that she was going to have fight what she deemed to be "children" but was forced to due to Edo Tensei