Characters: Naruto - Hidden Sand Village
aka: Naruto-Hidden Sand Village
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
- Blow You Away: They are the main village of Wind Country, after all. Temari, Gaara, and Baki are all confirmed to have wind-nature chakra.
- Darker and Edgier: Suna sometimes is portrayed as this towards Konoha, with both still being on the side of good. The fans sometimes take it further.
- Knight of Cerebus: The Chunin Exams only got super-serious when we started seeing what Gaara and his siblings could do. And that's not counting the invasion...
- Marionette Master: All puppeteers shown are from Suna, and the technique presumably originated there.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: How Orochimaru was able to manipulate them into invading—by impersonating their leader.
- Only One Name: Not a single person from Suna has ever had their last name revealed. Some, like the former Kazekages, didn't even have their first names revealed until the manga was almost over (and only in a databook, at that).
- Some fans misappropriate ninja titles as names, using "Sabaku" as the last name for Gaara and his siblings and "Akasuna" for Sasori, when really they're just descriptors.
- Selective Magnetism: The country to originate the Magnet Release bloodline limit and the third and fourth Kazekage both had it. The Third used it on "Iron Sand". The Fourth used it on "Gold Dust".
- Took a Level in Kindness: The Sand characters are less actively aggressive after the Time Skip.
Gaara of the Desert
"One day, I'd like to become something precious to others, too, not just to be viewed as some hideous weapon, but as the Sand's next Kazekage."
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (JP), Liam O Brien (EN), Eduardo Garza (Latin American Spanish), Fernando Cabrera (Spain)Gaara of the Sand Waterfall is a young shinobi from the Hidden Sand Village who makes his first appearance in the Chunin Exam arc as Naruto's Evil Counterpart. Like Naruto, Gaara had a Tailed Beast, the maniacal sand spirit Shukaku, sealed in him by his father, the Fourth Kazekage, before he was even born. The Kazekage's intent was for him to become a weapon for the village, but after several years declared the experiment a failure and repeatedly tried to have the child assassinated. However, Shukaku's power protected Gaara from all harm. Gaara eventually grew to enjoy killing the assassins his father sent after him, reasoning that only through killing could he validate his own existence.Gaara speaks in a dull monotone at all times except when he's in a killing frenzy. (This is later explained by the fact that Shukaku eats away at his consciousness when he sleeps, so he's become a chronic insomniac.) Even after his Heel-Face Turn, he is quiet, creepy, and not very social.At the end of the Invasion of Konoha arc, Gaara faces off against Naruto, who beats him with The Power of Friendship. The battle causes Gaara to reconsider his philosophy. He vows to protect the ones close to him rather than attempt to destroy them, and makes it his goal to win the trust and admiration of his village. Gaara feels indebted to Naruto for the insight.Later, Gaara and his siblings appear as allies in a Big Damn Heroes moment at the end of the Sasuke Retrieval arc. Gaara is matched up with the strongest opponent, Kimimaro, and battled him to a draw before Kimimaro's terminal illness took his life.All of Gaara's jutsu revolve around sand. He carries a gourd filled with it at all times and can control its movements instinctively. Shukaku, wanting to protect its vessel, always moves the sand as a shield to protect Gaara (even when he doesn't want it to), which wards off most blows, although it can be defeated with sufficient speed. When the Shukaku is extracted from him, this power remains and it is revealed later on (in the Fourth Shinobi World War Arc) that it is in fact his mother's love and protection that motivates the sand to protect him. Before the main storyline, Gaara had never been injured thanks to the sand shield. In addition to this defense, Gaara can wear the sand as armor, although this is heavier and requires more chakra and effort to maintain. His main battle tactic is to remain stationary and lash out at his opponent with waves of sand from a distance, relying on the sand shield and armor to defend him. When he has finally captured his opponent with the sand, he can use his signature offensive jutsu, "Sand Coffin", to encase his enemy in sand and uses the "Sand Burial" jutsu to crush them, killing them instantly.In Shippuden, Gaara has become the Fifth Kazekage. The first major arc of the new series revolves around him, as he is defeated and captured by the Akatsuki, who attempt to extract Shukaku from his body as part of their mission to collect all nine Tailed Beasts. The reformed Team 7, as well as Team Guy and Chiyo of the Sand Village, mount a rescue mission. The Akatsuki manages to delay the rescuers long enough to extract the spirit, killing its host; however, Chiyo sacrifices her own life to revive him. It's unknown to what degree, if any, his abilities were affected.After attending the meetings of the Kages called by the Raikage, he is appointed as the Regimental Commander of the Allied Shinobi Forces, and also commands the 4th/Long-Ranged-Battle Division. Fortunately, he still possesses enough power to be compared with Shukaku itself.
His hobbies are battling and cultivating cacti.
Favorite words:"love for oneself" and later, "affection" and "future"
- The Ace: Once he's defeated by Naruto and makes a genuine turn to Good, he steps up to this. He becomes the Kazekage, earns the support of his village, and is one of the strongest ninja in the world. He was even able to give Madara Uchiha pause for a moment.
- All-Loving Hero: Towards the Sand Village, he made it his goal to become Kazekage and be needed by everyone in it.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Like Naruto he was hated and despised for being a Jinchuriki. During the time skip his being made Kazekage has gotten him his won't-you-guide-my-sleigh-tonight moment.
- Animal Motifs: Tanuki due to the Shukkaku.
- Arch-Enemy: His father, up until his death. By the time said father was revived, Gaara had already long since forgiven him.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Gets an epic one on the other Kage during the Kage Summit that shows how far he's come. Extra points for getting through to them the same way Naruto would have.Gaara: When did you lose yourselves?
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Partly why he became Kazekage was because he was just so talented as a shinobi.
- Ax-Crazy: Initially he was a psychotic tyke that spoke in monotone and would crush people to bits without flinching. He gets better in part two.
- The Baby Of The Bunch: Gaara is the youngest of his siblings.
- Back from the Dead: He is revived by Chiyo's jutsu after the bijuu extraction killed him.
- Badass: He became the Kazekage at only 14!
- Badass Armfold: This is his default fighting stance. Since he can control sand with his mind, he doesn't need to move.
- Badass Baritone: Had a deep voice since Part I, especially in the English version.
- Badass Longrobe: After becoming Kazekage, Gaara sports a long robe in Part 2.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Well, he turned good because Naruto was being nice to him. Afterwards, becomes his best friend.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Especially in the beginning, when he was a cold-hearted, quiet sociopath.
- Blood Knight: Before his Heel-Face Turn. He thought killing was the only way to prove his existence.
- Blood Upgrade: During his Ax-Crazy phase, Gaara would soak his sand in the blood of his enemies, believing it made it stronger. Considering he has the Magnet Release kekkei genkai, he may very well have been right.
- Break the Cutie: He was a cute yet sad little boy. Exclusion and psychological torture turned him into a cold-blooded murderer. His childhood was so bad that he was sociopath by the age of six. Thankfully, he got better.
- Broken Bird: Got a Jinchuuriki planted inside of him which got him out of control, was hated and despised by all the villagers for this reason, got assassins sent after him by his father because of this, including his uncle, who raised him and who he had thought would love him. Given this, it's not so weird that he snapped.
- Calling the Old Man Out: What he did to his revived father during the war. He had every right to, and his father outright admitted that he was a horrible parent.
- Celibate Hero: Is one of the few single characters at the end of the manga, and he never seemed really interested to begin with during the course of the series. He does become an uncle, however.
- Character Development: Arguably the most extreme example in the series. He went from an Ax-Crazy murderer with no apparent empathy to a well-intentioned but still unsure of himself young Kazekage, to a Wise Beyond His Years Reasonable Authority Figure who truly cares about others. Unlike Shikamaru's, his character development was very much caused by his contact with Naruto. He is even able to convince Shukaku to aid him in battle after helping free him from the Ten-Tails.
- Chick Magnet: Many girls want to eagerly come to his aid at the end of first Arc of Shippuuden, as they go on about how strong and handsome he is.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: He's appointed as the Fifth Kazekage during the time skip, and later becomes Commander General of the Allied Shinobi Forces.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: He doesn't seem to give the attention the ladies give him much thought.
- Color Motifs: Red, given he's one of the few characters with red hair and his attire after his Heel-Face Turn is mainly red.
- Creepy Monotone: Gaara has a very emotionless way of speaking that makes him come across as being creepy.
- Creepy Child: In Naruto. You're lying if you say you didn't shiver at his behaviour, especially when he had a Slasher Smile. Fortunately, he gets better.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His father tried to kill him. Everyone, even his siblings, were terrified of him. And the one person he thought truly loved him, his materbal uncle, confessed that he never cared for Gaara.
- Dark Magical Girl: Gender flipped. He's a lonely antagonistic foil for Naruto who becomes a good guy and a friend after his defeat in part 1.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After Naruto defeats him and they become good friends. Gaara, at that point, wanted to be like Naruto, accepted by everyone around him.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Gaara can manipulate sand due to being Shukaku's jinchuriki and possessing the Magnet Release.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In episode 34 of the original Naruto anime, he kills a man and his teammates rather gruesomely (though he claims it was painless). Why? He claimed they looked at him the wrong way!
- Admittedly that man tried to kill him first, the "looked at him the wrong way" part was the reason he didn't stop attacking after it became clear he was much more powerful than them.
- Does Not Like Spam: The databooks reveal he doesn't like yokan and marron gace.
- The Dreaded: Pre-Heel-Face Turn. His own siblings are scared witless of him during Part I, and upon hearing his backstory, Naruto is so taken aback by the parallels between him and Gaara that he's actually scared to fight him.
- Dying Alone: While Akatsuki performed the bijuu extraction, he faced death all by himself, not sure what his purpose was and why he wanted to feel needed.
- The Eeyore: Pre-Heel-Face Turn he was constantly morose.
- Elemental Baggage: Played with. He can control any kind of sand and create more from stones in the ground. However, he always brings with him a huge jar full of a specially prepared sand which is much more efficient and faster. Also the jar itself is sand and is the same sand shown following him around during his childhood, just put together into one shape. That sand is always with him; it just isn't shown when it's not the jar or being used.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: Gaara does not have a Animal Battle Aura form like other jinchuuriki instead he fuses sand with his body becoming a monstrous Tanuki, resulting in far more Body Horror.
- Enfant Terrible: When he was a child. Note that it didn't really apply until he was six, and that was due to no fault of his own.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Initially, he believed friendship was meaningless. But after witnessing multiple people jumping in front of his attacks to protect their friends and loved ones, combined with damage suffered from strong opponents, he starts having a mental breakdown. After Naruto thoroughly defeats him in combat due to his strong desire to protect his friends, Gaara starts to reconsider his outlook on relationships with others.
- Evil Counterpart: Naruto's first: a lonely and fatherless container for an energy demon. The difference is that he went insane instead of channeling his angst into mischief. The parallels are even stronger when you realize that both are the sons of the Fourth of their villages' Kage. Naruto's father only sealed Kurama within him because he didn't have much of a choice and desired his son to be seen as a hero, while Gaara's father (though eventually remorseful about the fact) sealed Shukaku within his son specifically so he'd become a weapon. Naruto openly admired his father even before he was aware of his heritage, while Gaara outright despised his.
- Evil Redhead: During the first half of Part 1. Gaara evolves into a full red headed hero for the rest of the series.
- Evil Sounds Deep: When he was a villain.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Pupil-less with turquoise iris.
- Eyes Never Lie: Before their match in the chūnin exams, he approached Sasuke only to tell him he considered him "prey". He actually had a particular interest and went on to explain he could see in Sasuke's eyes that he knew what loneliness was and that it was the worst suffering there was in the world, and they both had the "same eyes" full of hate seeking revenge and murder towards the people who caused them such loneliness. When they meet again in part 2 at the Kage Summit, he tells Sasuke he still has the same eyes as before and fails to change his mind about turning away from the darkness.
- Faceless Eye: His Third Eye technique which is a disembodied eye he shares a field of vision with and he typically uses for spying.
- Fiery Redhead: When he was a villain. He's hot blooded, after all. He is one you would not want to provoke, or you would be dead.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: The Mage whose sand protects him, but he isn't strong at actual physical combat to Temari's powerful wind-style jutsus Fighter and Kankuro's puppet mastery Thief.
- Foreshadowing: In Part I, Gaara referred to Shukaku as his "Mother". In Part II, it's revealed that his Mother's will to protect him is the source of his automatic defence.
- Four-Star Badass: He is made the General of the Ninja Army during the Fourth World War.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: As a child, Gaara made many attempts to connect to the people of Sunagakure, all of whom feared him because of his connection with Shukaku. That, alongside with Yashamaru's betrayal of him turned him into a sociopathic murderer, which remained until his defeat at the hands of Naruto.
- Guardian Entity: Originally Shukaku was this for Gaara, protecting him from harm. After Shukaku's removal, Gaara's father tells him that his mother Karura is the true will behind his defensive ability. This is reflected in the forms of Gaara's techniques; after the reveal his attacks and shields are in the form of his mother's image
- Goth: Certainly looks the part, and starts off as the Lone Psycho Goth, then becomes more like a Gloomy Goth after his Heel-Face Turn.
- Guttural Growler: Taken Up to Eleven by Liam O Brien in the English dub.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Anko calls him brown haired when observing how quickly he made through the Forest of Death, uninjured.
- Heel-Face Turn: He was a villain who thought he only lived to kill people since he couldn't get any other response from them. Then Naruto, someone with a similar backstory, came along and showed him how other people could improve his life's quality. Gaara not only made it his goal to become Kazekage and succeeded but became one of Naruto's biggest allies.
- Hero of Another Story: He did work hard to become Kazekage and earn their acceptance during the time skip.
- He Is All Grown Up: Post time skip. Gaara is taller and crosses into being a Bishōnen
- I Just Want to Be Normal: when the Moon's Eye plan succeeds and traps everyone in a genjutsu of their own personal heaven, Gaara sees himself as a child among his loving family. His mother, father, siblings, and uncle are there. And Naruto comes to play with him.
- Improbable Age: Youngest Kage at the age of 15.
- Instant Armor: His sand-armor automatically activates when he's attacked.
- Jerk Ass: At first. Gaara was a complete sociopath who killed people just for annoying him.
- Limited Wardrobe: Notably averted; his outfit changes in each of his major appearances, and he also has the black outfit he wears to Chiyo's funeral and his Kage robes, making six outfits outside of flashbacks.
- Long-Range Fighter: Type 1 as the sand does such a great job protecting and attacking for him he's never developed any real need for close range attacks outside of when Shukaku took over.
- Magnetism Manipulation: Gaara can use the Magnet Release kekkei genkai to freely manipulate sand.
- Manly Tears: Sheds a single one after concluding that Sasuke won't listen to him and that he must kill him, and that this will make Naruto suffer.
- And later on, he breaks down in tears when his father tells him his mother did love him after all.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When Sasuke breaks through his sand armor for the first time in Gaara's entire life, the Suna shinobi dramatically freaks out and loses his head all due to a minor wound on his shoulder.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Gaara means "A demon loving only himself".
- The literal translation of his title in Japanese, Sabaku no Gaara, is "Gaara of the Sand-Waterfall"
- Never Sleep Again: His Tailed Beast gains more power over him as he sleeps. If he should sleep for too long, his Tailed Beast would take over his body completely and he would no longer exist.
- Nice Guy: Post-Character Development. Gaara became considerably more polite and sociable. Heck, he's even an All-Loving Hero.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Before his Heel-Face Turn. A sociopathic pre-teen who can control a substance with his mind, and turn said substance into a near-perfect weapon.
- Not So Different: With Sasuke and Naruto.
- He and Naruto are both a host and were shunned by their villages. Naruto however found people who accepted him and kept him from becoming like Gaara. After being defeated, Gaara chooses to follow Naruto's path.
- In Part 1, he and Sasuke both had "the same eyes" motivated to prove their existence and punish those who caused them pain. He later tries this again while trying to convince Sasuke to seek redemption like he did, but it doesn't work.
- Not So Stoic: In his fight with Rock Lee, Gaara's stoic face cracks down along his sand armor mask and strikes a terrific Slasher Smile.
- Post-timeskip, Gaara's reaction when he finds out the truth about his mother.
- The look on his face after getting revived and seeing not only his first friend, but also his siblings and other Suna ninja around him in the Kazekage Rescue Arc.
- Oedipus Complex: Especially before his Heel-Face Turn, after he still has some mild signs but his hatred for his father waned but is counterbalanced by his sand shield resembling his (nude) mother.
- The Paranoiac: Had well-justified paranoia, stemming from having a demon stuck inside him as a baby (that threatened to possess him if he ever fell asleep), causing everyone in his village to hate and fear him and eventually leading his father (who put that demon there, to make a weapon out of him) to try and assassinate him after deciding that Gaara was too unstable (and the person chosen was the uncle he loved, who then denied ever loving Gaara). As a young teen, he's an Ax-Crazy Serial Killer who keeps his siblings in line with threats of murder, mistrusts and despises everybody and refers to his inner world as chaos that can only be fed by murdering people. Fortunately, he got better.
- Parental Neglect: His father the 4th Kazekage thought of him as a failed experiment.
- Perpetual Frowner: Even when he became good, he rarely smiles.
- Powers Do the Fighting: Gaara is protected by his sand, so for most of his fights early on in the series, he stands by while the sand deflects projectiles and destroys his enemies for him.
- Power Incontinence: As a child Gaara could not control his powers and killed many people from his village and he became a pariah who his father the Kazekage was forced to mark as a threat to the villages stability.
- Progressively Prettier: Gaara's appearance still maintains that gothic look to it, but becomes softer in the filler arcs and Shippuden.
- The Quiet One: Gaara only speaks a couple of words in Part I. He gets more vocal in Part II.
- Rain of Blood: Sand Burial liquefies its victims. "A senbon rainstorm, huh? I have a better idea. Let's make it rain blood instead."
- Real Men Wear Pink: Some non-Japanese fanboys refused to believe that Ax-Crazy demon-possessed Gaara has the word 'love' written on his head and get mad when fangirls draw him with a heart. "No, it must be something Badass like 'death', or 'suffering'." Nope. It's love.◊ Carved into his forehead by his sand-shaping powers the moment he finally broke after his Uncle Yashamaru tried to kill him and then told him that he never was and never would be loved. This symbolizes that he loves only himself and fights only for himself, prior to his Heel-Face Turn. It has also been revealed that, like Naruto, he enjoys gardening, specifically cultivating cacti.
- One of his hobbies is cultivating cacti.
- Red-Headed Hero: Becomes one after being defeated by Naruto.
- Red Is Heroic: Inverted at first given his sociopathic nature. Played straight after being defeated by Naruto.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calmer, softspoken blue to Kankuro's loud, Hot-Blooded red.
- Retcon: In chapter 547, it's revealed that everything Gaara knew about his mother and uncle's hatred of him was a lie created by his father so he could test his control of Shukaku, and his automatic shield power is actually his mother's spirit protecting her "puny" son.
- Rousing Speech: His speech to the Allied Shinobi Forces (possibly the most he's ever said at once in the entire series).
- Gaara: "Three times now, we've fought world wars for our own nations, our own villages. We've hurt one another. We've hated one another. That hatred bred a lust for power, and that lust for power created me. I was a jinchūriki, the embodiment of hatred and power. And I hated this world, and all the people in it. I wanted to destroy it with my own hands. The exact same thing Akatsuki is trying to do today. But one man, one ninja from Konohagakure stopped me. ...I was his enemy, yet he wept for me! I hurt him, yet he called me his friend! He saved me! My enemy, my fellow jinchūriki... He suffered the same pain as me, yet bore no ill will! There are no enemies here because we've all suffered at Akatsuki's hand! So there is no Suna, no Iwa, no Konoha, no Kiri, and no Kumo! There are only 'shinobi!' And if you still hold a grudge against Suna, when this war is over, come and take my head instead! Our enemies are after the friend who saved my life! If they take him, if we hand him over, our world is finished! I want to protect him! I want to protect our world! But I'm too young to protect it all on my own! All of you, lend me your aid! Everyone who's with me, let's go!"
- Sanity Strengthening: Gaara starts out quite insane and Ax-Crazy but over the course of the series (thanks to his friendship with Naruto) becomes slowly more and more sane.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: As a Jinchuriki, but not anymore since the Shukaku was removed.
- Serial Killer: When he's introduced.
- Sibling Team: With Temari and Kankuro.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Post-timeskip, Gaara's much more reserved and introspective than his more boisterous and rowdy older siblings.
- Slasher Smile: In the Rock Lee fight.
- So Proud of You: Gaara's resurrected dad is shocked that his failed experiment of a son is now the leader of an allied ninja army (and Kazekage to boot) and realizes what an idiot he's been.
- In the filler arc that features him and his siblings, Temari and Kankuro beam proudly at Gaara when he begins teaching Matsuri, and Kankuro later expresses pride and encouragement for Gaara when he is able to figure out a way to suppress Shukaku.
- The Spock: To Temari's Kirk and Kankuro's McCoy. Gaara is more rational and like to think about what's best for everyone.
- The Stoic: He never loses his cool.
- Squishy Wizard: Uses elemental jutsu and Shukaku's power, but almost never uses taijutsu because he never really has to. (So he isn't proficient at it.) Subverted in that he carries around an enormous jug of sand on his back.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Towards Sasuke when they meet again after the time skip. He reminds Sasuke they are similar and tells him he can make a change towards the good just like himself, unfortunately Sasuke is consumed in revenge and his siblings remind him not to become personal as he is the Kazekage, Gaara can only shed a tear in response.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Prior to his fight with Naruto, he essentially turned to this, after repeatedly trying to befriend kids his own age, only to be shunned because of his scary powers. Then after having an assassination attempt on his life by someone he trusted, he no longer trusted other people, and felt it was better to be powerful and fight for oneself than to be burdened by others. As a result, he emanated a very intimidating aura, so much so that even Kankuro and Temari feared him despite being his siblings.
- They Died Because of You: He makes no excuses that he killed his mother during his birth. During an assassination attempt early in his life, Gaara finds out the assassin was Yashamaru, his uncle and caretaker. Though his uncle seemed to care for him on the surface, as he lay dying, Gaara is told deep down his uncle hates him because of the death of his sister during the childbirth. This causes him to stop caring about others, and to be suspicious of everyone around him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Like many, many others during the timeskip. We see him beforehand and his whole gimmick is to stand still behind an ultimate defense and deal environmental damage, so much so that he freaks out on seeing his own blood. Then afterwards, he's flying around and controlling Kaiju-sized masses of sand to interdict the skies over Suna. The biggest example of his skills increasing? He easily bested his farther, held his own while weakened against the Third Mizukage, and Madara Uchiha.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Probably the biggest example in the series. He went from Jerkass sociopath who could never love to an All-Loving Hero who is now a much respected and beloved person.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The databooks reveal Gaara likes salted tongue and gizzard.
- Trauma Conga Line: He's probably the character, along with Sasuke, who has one of the most tragic background stories in manga history. See Abusive Parents.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: A twelve-year old who kills someone in a gruesome manner, because he looked at him the wrong way, and then threatening to kill his big brother, is not what a normal child would do. Then again...
- Tykebomb: Was implanted with the Shukaku in utero, by Chiyo at the command of his father, the Fourth Kazekage.
- Unskilled, but Strong: A variation. Like Naruto, possessing a Tailed Beast gave him massive amounts of chakra, but where's Naruto didn't know and couldn't access it, Gaara can but uses it differently. His general fighting style as a result is simply relying on the sand to automatically take care of his enemies for him. Eventually he drops this after becoming good.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Of the "not there" category.
- Villainous Breakdown: Prior to his Heel-Face Turn, he had three of these. When he is injured by Lee, he displays more emotion in his fight than he usually does. When Sasuke makes him bleed, he goes completely mental. When Naruto outright defeats him, he can only panic.
- Vocal Evolution: In the English dub, at least. He's a lot less gravelly and a lot more refined in Shippuden, which suits his character development.
- Warrior Prince: The youngest child of the Fourth Kazekage.
- Warrior Therapist: Gaara was like this towards Sasuke in Part I. Interestingly, they still have this dynamic the next time they meet several years later, except, well, they have exchanged their places as Ax-Crazy and The Stoic.
- When He Smiles: When he gives a genuine smile (in part 2, that is), you just can't help but feel warm inside.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Not the sort of person you'd expect to display this, but after becoming Kazekage, Gaara becomes one of the wisest characters in the Narutoverse. Specifically, in Chapter 491, when it comes to the risks Naruto takes, Gaara displays a cooler head and quite frankly, much better judgment than Tsunade concerning that matter. To say nothing of his response to Tobi's Assimilation Plot."Peace under an illusion is not true peace. Peace is only meaningful when the world manages to accomplish it."
- The Worf Effect: Unexpectedly, he becomes a victim of this at Deidara's introduction, as the Akatsuki member becomes the first opponent in getting a solid victory over Gaara. Even so, his loss is perceptively caused by him having to shield Sunagakure from the C3 massive explosion technique.
- You Are Not Alone: Being revived by Chiyo's jutsu, Gaara awoke, shocked by being surrounded by his siblings, friends and village who were all relieved that he was alive after having gone looking for him. This was the first time Gaara truly felt loved and not so alone.
- Youngest Child Wins: Sort of; on one hand he has the amazing sand techniques and is The Leader of a ninja village. On the other hand, he was driven psychotically evil by the energy demon which marked him for death by Ataksuki.
Voiced by: Yasuyuki Kase (JP), Michael Lindsay, Doug Erholtz Shipppuden Movie 3 & episode 182 onwards (EN), Miguel Ángel Montero (Spain)Kankuro is the second child of the Fourth Kazekage and Gaara's older brother. He tries to control Gaara's homicidal tendencies as best he can, but fears the younger boy's abilities and is thus fairly ineffectual in that respect. He's pretty confident and doesn't have a whole lot of respect for other people; his first appearance in the series sees him bullying Naruto's young friend Konohamaru. Kankuro always wears the robes and face paint of a theater performer, and speaks in that fashion in the original Japanese.Kankuro fights Shino during the Invasion of Konoha arc and is defeated, but not before poisoning the latter. He reappears along with his siblings at the end of the Sasuke Retrieval arc, saving Kiba and easily killing Sakon and Ukon.Kankuro is a puppeteer, which means he fights with mechanical contraptions, controlling them with strings of chakra that he can extend from his fingertips. Puppets are unliving machines, so they can't use chakra, but each of them is outfitted with an array of weapons and poisons. Kankuro can also use the Substitution jutsu to seamlessly switch places with his puppets, causing his enemies to attack the puppets instead. He picks up a new puppet with each new appearance. All of Kankuro's puppets were designed by Sasori before he joined the Akatsuki.In Shippuden, Kankuro is Worfed by Sasori after Gaara is defeated and abducted by the Akatsuki, giving Sakura a chance to show off her new medical skills, but he managed to get a piece of Sasori's clothing which lets Team 7 track them down. He spends the rest of the arc recovering from his injuries and arguing with the village elders to focus on looking for Gaara instead of choosing his replacement.He's since acquired a new puppet body: Sasori himself. Later he goes on to defeat the revived Sasori when they face off a second time, gaining the puppets of Sasori's parents in the process.
His hobby is collecting puppets, and installing and upgrading the mechanisms in them.
Favorite phrase: "One must never miss a good opportunity"
- Anatomy Arsenal: On his puppets.
- Art Attacker: Kankuro uses the puppets he spends his time modifying for battle.
- Badass Bookworm: Sand puppeteers like Kankuro are expected to make and repair their own puppets, which are often elaborate death machines requiring a fair amount of maintenance.
- Beautiful All Along: Well, not a Bishōnen, but he's still quite handsome without his face paint.◊
- Berserk Button: Being underestimated, and after the Time Skip, anyone insulting his brother.
- Big Brother Instinct: One of his Berserk Buttons is anyone insulting Gaara. When Gaara was captured by Akatsuki, Kankurō rushed to his brother's aid alone in an attempt to save him, and risked his life for him, despite the dangers that he put himself in.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: He and Temari act as Gaara's bodyguards during the Kage Summit. He also appears to have settled as the Kazekage's bodyguard.
- Brainy Brunette: While Kankuro is the most hot blooded of his siblings, he has keen tactical skills. Also, see his badass bookworm section.
- Can't Catch Up: While he and his siblings are already presented as dangerous opponents in their first apparition, in Shippuden Kankuro is notably one of the characters less improved during the Time Skip, his only upturn being a third puppet added to his former two which receives fairly little screen time. Even at the end of the series, his biggest feats are focused in field strategy rather than individual fighting like almost everyody else.
- Celibate Hero: One of the few single characters at the end of the manga, and one of the few characters at all without a Love Interest. Like Gaara, he does become an uncle, however.
- Child Hater: Before the Time Skip, he expressed great displeasure of being in the presence of anyone younger than him.
- Color Motifs: Black, given his entire clothing style's color theme is black.
- Creepy Doll: Concept art for the epilogue shows he has a puppet with a nightmarish resemblance to Kaguya Ōtsutsuki.
- Dark Is Evil: Kankuro wears all black and was a real jerk in Part I.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Still keeps his choice of clothing, but is now a goody guy and Took a Level in Kindness.
- Deadly Gas: One of his puppets has toxic gas implanted into it.
- Does Not Like Spam: The databooks reveal Kankuro doesn't like spinach.
- Dressing as the Enemy: He pass the first part of the Chunin exam by using sand to disguise Karasu as a Konoha examinator. It should be noted as an awesome feat of ninja puppeteering, given that he has to control it through a classroom full of people and desks and simultaneously make it convincing to the rest of exanimators (although at least Ibiki Morino is able to see through the disguise).
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: Kankuro is able to summon a vast array of puppets.
- Facial Markings: Has used three or four different patterns. They are all inspired from traditional makeup used by Japanese puppeteers, as is his outfit.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: The puppet mastery Thief to Temari's powerful wind-style jutsus Fighter and Gaara's Mage, whose sand protects him, but isn't great at actual combat.
- Fingerless Gloves: He sports a black pair and keeps them in Part 2.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: After gaining Sasori's puppet body, he also gains access to its flamethrowers.
- Flechette Storm: When fighting Sasori in the anime, Kankuro attempts a combination attack between Karasu and Kuroari that launches a storm of poisoned senbon at the target while they're surrounded by poisonous gas. After reappearing at the Kage Summit with Sasori's body, he's upgraded to kunai that have bombs attached to them resulting in a massive explosion.
- Hidden Weapons: All of his puppets are loaded with them.
- Hot-Blooded: Not as bad as Naruto or Kiba, but he's got a pretty nasty temper, although he's getting better at controlling it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: His Machine One-Shot technique: after trapping the enemy inside Black Ant, he impales them with blades hidden in Crow's bodyparts.
- It Was a Gift: Sasori passes on the puppets of his parents to Kankuro after their rematch. It's especially noticeable as those two puppets have now been owned by all three puppeteers in the series.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kankuro is prideful (about his village), isn't very fond of children, and can be a bit of a jerk. However, he's shown to be a caring leader and wonderful big brother to Gaara.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: In Shippuuden, after Gaara's Heel-Face Turn, he can be quite impulsive when Gaara is threatened or harmed.
- Long-Range Fighter: Not having Chiyo's taijutsu skills or Sasori's invulnerability, Kankuro is this by necessity as his puppets require his full concentration to work effectively, and fighting at short or medium ranges leave him a vulnerable target.
- He has gotten better, and currently boasts a taijutsu level higher than either of his siblings according to the data books. He also seems to be able to multitask a bit better as well.
- Marionette Master: His attire is based on real-life Marionette puppeteer.
- The McCoy: To Gaara's Spock and Temari's Kirk. While he does have keen mind in strategy, Kankuro is the most Hot-Blooded of his siblings and sometimes doesn't think things through.
- Meaningful Name: He's named after a real-life Kabuki actor, hence the facepaint.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: His achievements are usually glossed over when compared to his siblings and his fanbase is the smallest of the three.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother died and his father was hardly around, and he eventually died.
- Poisoned Weapons: The blades of his puppets are laced with poison.
- Purple Is Powerful: Kankuro's facial markings are always colored purple.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivers one to the revived Sasori after defeating him and Deidara in chapter 518:Kankuro: Sasori... your strength came because of your soul, not in spite of it. You tried to erase it, to become a puppet yourself, but couldn't change completely. Now you've got your immortal body but you've fallen, sunk to the level of the puppets you used to control. You were supposed to be a top class ninja puppeteer, not a worthless nobody who lets someone else pull the strings.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The loud Hot-Blooded red to Gaara's calm, quiet blue.
- Required Secondary Powers: It is never mentioned, but the sand he uses to disguise his puppets must be another kind of jutsu, probably like Gaara's sand techniques. Same for the way he cheats in the Chunnin exams, as it is never explained exactly how he does it - the only indication revealed is an eye scope in Karasu's masked face, implying he is using some kind of eye jutsu to see the other Genin's efforts.
- Sibling Team: With Gaara and Temari.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He has the closest physical similarities to the Sand Siblings' father.
- Took a Level in Badass: Is named Captain of the Ambush Company in the Fourth Great Ninja War and leads to a victory against Sasori and Deidara with few casualties.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Showed his more caring and protective side post-timeskip.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The databooks reveal Kankuro likes hamburger steaks.
- Verbal Tic: Has a tendency to end his sentences with 'jaan'.
- Warrior Prince: The middle child and oldest son of the Fourth Kazekage.
- Weak, but Skilled: When compared to his siblings who are both people of mass desctruction who specialize in area attacks, he's definitely this, focusing on sneak attacks with poisoned weapons and single target techniques. Fans have picked up on this with one story referring to him as a garrote wire, not a buster sword during a weapon-related character study.
- Physically talking, however, he is implied to be not precisely weak, as he easily scarf lifts Konohamaru in his first apparition and later carries on his back two puppets which must be a really heavy equipment.
- The Worf Effect: A victim of this, most famously by Sasori's action (albeit Sasori is later shown to be able to worf more or less everybody in the series until that point). A worst example belongs to the filler Ultimate Weapon Arc, in which Kankuro is bested by the relatively unimpressive enemy Ryugan and ends needing Kiba and Choji to defeat him.
- Wrecked Weapon: Gets all of his puppets destroyed in his first fight with Sasori. Luckily, they get fixed in time for the Shinobi World War.
Voiced by: Romi Park (JP), Tara Platt (EN), Mayra Arellano (Latin American Spanish), Inés Blásquez (Spain)Temari is the oldest child and only daughter of the Fourth Kazekage, and the older sister of Gaara and Kankuro. She clearly has an attitude, being quite upfront and abrasive, sometimes to the point of crudeness. But she's also a strong ninja - notably the only female to have made it past the Chunin exams preliminaries - who despises war and who values her family.Like Shikamaru, she's a master strategist, and most of their appearances have been together. She defeated him during the Chunin Exam arc, and saves him from Tayuya during the Sasuke Retrieval arc. In Shippuden, she and Shikamaru work on the upcoming Chuunin Exams together. When Naruto sees them walking together, he believes Shikamaru and Temari are dating. Similar to scene a few years earlier, when Kakashi thought the same thing while watching Asuma and Kurenai together.Temari fights with a giant metal fan which she can use both as a blunt weapon and to create cutting whirlwinds. She's a better fighter at range, according to Kankuro. She believed herself to be the only genin in the Chunin exam capable of using the Summoning Jutsu before Naruto demonstrated his ability to do so.In Shippuden, Temari has become an emissary between the Leaf and Sand Villages. She wanted to pursue the Akatsuki along with the Leaf Village's rescue team, but the village elders forbade her from doing so, instead putting her on border patrol. She doesn't have much of an effect on the arc.During the events of the Fourth Ninja War, she is serving under Gaara, and alongside Shikamaru and Choji, in the Fourth Battalion.
Her hobby is flora appreciation.
Favorite phrases: "Sharpen your sickle at sunset" and "One view, a thousand ri" The latter idiom refers to a sweeping view of the eye or a boundless expanse.
- Action Girl: The most consistently proactive one on the side of good in the whole series. She's one of the few people to have landed a hit on Madara (admittedly to no effect, but it was Madara after all), and the only female in the series to have won a one on one fight against a named character. Three times, no less.Temari: Wasn't much of a match; kinda boring.
- Animal Motif: Hers is weasels, though it is much more discreet than usual.
- Babies Ever After: Has a child with Shikamaru.
- Badass: Her attitude and the fact that she wounded the 3rd Raikage.
- Much earlier, her battle with Tayuya. Shikamaru had been struggling with Tayuya for several episodes, never managing to completely get the upper hand on her. Then Temari arrives and proceeds to kill her in two moves.
- Badass Princess: The oldest child and only daughter of the Fourth Kazekage.
- Big Sister Instinct: When Gaara was captured by the Akatsuki, Temari hurried back to the village to save him. When Kankurō was poisoned, she watched over him until he had recovered.
- Blond Girls Are Evil: While not exactly "evil", Temari was antagonistic towards the Konoha during Part 1.
- Blow You Away: Uses her fan to create wind attacks. She's acknowledged as one of the best Wind-style users in the Allied Forces. Only Naruto surpasses her, and even then only with raw power.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: She and Kankuro act as Gaara's bodyguards during the Kage Summit.
- Color Motifs: Purple. All of the outfits she's seen in are connected to purple and her trademark fan sports three purple dots.
- Combat Hand Fan: A comically large variant, but still fitting the trope. Appropriately, she uses it for wind attacks.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: A Lady of War who always wears short minidresses or miniskirts (save for the kimono-styled dress she wore just after the Time Skip [pictured above]).
- Dark Is Not Evil: Her clothing in Part 2 is a black kimono that reaches down to her legs, with slits along the side and a more revealing neckline.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She's a tough lady, as you can tell by her seiyu alone. But thanks to becoming more of a Cool Big Sis to Kankuro and Gaara, and a Ship Tease with Shikamaru, she has significantly mellowed out compared to how much of a bitch she was at the start of the series.
- Does Not Like Spam: The databooks reveal Temari doesn't like squid or octopus.
- Everyone Can See It: In episode 316, Matsuri and Yakata blurt out that she has a crush on and likes an intelligent guy. The same intelligent guy people thought she was dating. Temari denies it, but even the rank and file of her division can see she has feelings for Shikamaru.
- Everyone Has Standards: Before she became nicer, Temari may have been quite the jerkass, but even she drew the line at war.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: The powerfyl wind-style jutsus Fighter to Gaara's, whose sand protects him, but not great at actual combat Mage and Kankuro's puppet mastery Thief.
- Fingerless Gloves: Starts wearing a black pair as of Part 2.
- Genki Girl: A bit of a dark example, but she's always wiling to fight a good fight.
- Giant Waist Ribbon: Her second outfit has one of these.
- Girlish Pigtails: Played with. Temari has 4 consecutive ponytails, but she's also quite tomboyish. Also, her favorite hobby is flora appreciation.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Temari becomes this after the Sand Village becomes an official ally with Konoha, and she personally evolves into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: With Shikamaru. By the epilogue, they are married with a son, Shikadai.
- Hidden Depths: Her hobby is flora appreciation.
- Jerkass: In Part 1, Temari was quite arrogant and cruel.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Is a brash, crude, rude, blunt, stubborn and sometimes even a cruel woman that hates war and chaos and would do anything for friends and family.
- Kimono: One of her many costumes.
- The Kirk: To Gaara's Spock and Kankuro's McCoy. Temari isn't as hot-headed as Kankuro, but she's neither as calm as Gaara.
- Lady of War: Temari shows shades of this in Part II. She's become more gracful and even wears more feminine clothing. But, she can still kick ass.
- Long-Range Fighter: She can blast away any frontal assaults with her fan at medium and long range or use it as a club in short range if someone gets too close.
- Magic Skirt: In Part I.
- Ms. Fanservice: Particularly in Part I, where she's the oldest female genin, thus having more curves.
- Not a Date: With Shikamaru.
- Official Couple: With Shikamaru.
- One Woman Army: With her versatility and highly destructive attacks, she is one of the most consistently powerful minor characters.
- Opposites Attract: With Shikamaru. She's an aggressive Action Girl; he's lazy, calm, and prone to doubting himself.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Her Weapon of Choice is a huge one.
- Parental Abandonment: Her mother died and her father wasn't around much, and eventually died as well.
- Razor Wind: Which she produces with her large fan. It's also her Chakra Type.
- She's Got Legs: Which she showed alot of with her Magic Skirt.
- Sibling Team: With Gaara and Kankuro.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Temari doesn't show any romantic interest in any guy, except Shikamaru, who she marries and has a son with.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Out of her siblings, Temari has the closest resemblance to their mother.
- And since her mother was an identical twin, Temari also had the closest resemblance to her maternal uncle.
- Super Mode:Gains a chakra cloak thanks to Naruto which greatly increases her strength.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Temari still kept her brash attitude, but in a way that was more loving, than mean-spirited.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The databooks reveal Temari likes sweet chestnuts and Kenchin soup.
- Tsundere: In the words of Shikamaru:Shikamaru: She is even scarier than my mom!
- Weapon of Choice: In combat, Temari uses her giant iron fan (鉄扇, tessen) in tandem with her Wind Release nature manipulation to create severe torrents winds.
- Wicked Weasel: Her Summon Magic calls a giant one who wields a Sinister Scythe, a direct reference to the Youkai called Kamaitachi. This a recurrent motif, given her fan attacks are called "kamaitachi".
- The Worf Effect: She suffer of it before fellow Wind-style user Kujaku, who counters her attacks and almost finishes her filler Ultimate Weapon arc. It takes Shikamaru to allow her land a hit.
Voiced by: Joji Nakata (JP), Sam Riegel (EN), Javier Moreno (Spain), Humberto Velez (Latin American Spanish)The instructor for the Sand Siblings's team. Discussed the joint Sand/Sound invasion of Konoha with Kabuto, and killed Hayate for overhearing as a sign of trust.When Deidara invades the Sand Village he leads an unsuccessful attempt to hold him off. He's later seen objecting to suggestions to pick Gaara's successor as Kazekage while he is missing.
His hobby is taking sand baths.
Favorite phrase is "Indomitable perseverance"
- Armor Is Useless: Averted, as his flak jacket appears to be enough to stop Hayate's sword.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Is rarely ever seen after the first arc of Part II, he's hasn't even been spotted in the final War Arc where loads of long-time-not-seen characters come back.
- Eyepatch of Power / Mask Power: Or rather, a piece of cloth that hangs from his head covering half of his face.
- Facial Markings: He sports some red facepaint, not unlike Kankuro's.
- Karma Houdini: He has paid no consequence for murdering Hayate, despite Yugao's swear of revenge.
- Minor Major Character: Despite being the Sand Siblings sensei, which implicitly grants him Kakashi's Evil Counterpart status, Baki plays a very minor role. For such a powerful-looking character, he has barely fought any battles and remains as one of the less explored characters in the series.
- Parental Substitute: To the Sand siblings.
- Razor Wind: He can form a sword made out of wind. This is how he killed Hayate.
"Retired? One foot in the grave? Maybe, but if I hadn't hauled this old body here to face you, I would've died with far too many regrets!"
Voiced By: Ikuko Tani (JP), Barbara Goodson (EN)Sand Village Elder and Sasori's grandmother. An expert on medicine, poison, and puppets as well as a veteran of the Second Great Shinobi War, she holds a great contempt for both Tsunade for countering her poisons and Sakumo Hatake (Kakashi's father) for killing her son and daughter-in-law. After Sasori's parents died by Sakumo's hands, she took care of him and taught him of puppetry. She was the one who Gaara's father asked to seal the One-Tailed Tanuki into Gaara before he was born, after which she ceased involvement with the village's affairs.When Gaara is kidnapped, she decides to accompany Team 7 as they try to retrieve him. She fights together with Sakura against Sasori, and she capitalizes on an opening left from Sakura taking the blow from a poison sword to finish him off. She is able to heal Sakura using an ability that transfers her own Life Energy, but doesn't die because Sakura wasn't quite dead. When she discovers Gaara dying, she transfers what's left of her energy and some of Naruto's into him, reviving him, but dying in the process (considering it an act of redemption).Kabuto resurrected her with Edo Tensei.
Her hobbies were pretending to be dead, playing senile, and fishing.
Favorite phrase: "Trained by a hundred battles" This idiom refers to a richness in experiences gained through battling through many adversities.
- Action Girl: She is clearly not a girl anymore, but she is female and kick ass, so still qualifies.
- Artificial Limbs: Her right arm is actually a puppet arm which she controls with chakra, and the arm she's shown using opens apart and makes a shield out of chakra.
- The Atoner: Regrets sealing the Shukaku into Gaara, as well as for having a militaristic and isolationist ideology for much of her life.
- Badass Grandma: She uses very deadly puppets as weapons, is a Kung-Fu Wizard, and there's still the Flechette Storm below. Grandma here is DANGEROUS.
- She made Mother and Father strong enough to challenge the Third Kazekage puppet. Wow!
- Cloudcuckoolander: To her brother Ebizo's much chagrin, Chiyo does not take the things seriously for most of the time.
- Combat Medic: Her healing skills are praised by Tsunade of all people.
- Elite Army: The Ten Puppets of Chikamatsu are essentially this, having been enough to take out a fortress and destroy a large number of Sasori's puppets through teamwork and formations.
- Flechette Storm: She can use chakra strings to launch a torrent of kunai without throwing them.
- Weapons That Suck: Her Sanpou Kyukai technique is this creating a crushing vortex that atomizes whoever is caught in it.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: You'd think focusing on fighting with things that you keep a distance from your opponent would leave you inexperienced with hand-to-hand combat, but her taijutsu was good enough that she held back Naruto and several of his clones (though she lacks stamina).
- Marionette Master: One of the two extremes in the series relying on quality over quantity in comparison to her grandson.
- Meaningful Name: Her Sanpou Kyukai technique is a reference to various Buddhist teaching concepts, her Lion-Headed Kannon is a reference to a Bodhisattva figure and Monzaemon Chikamatsu was a famous puppeteer dramatist who was considered the Shakespeare of his day.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: Aged 73 and 149 cm (about 4'8").
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She enjoys playing dead and acting senile to fool others. Doesn't mean she can't kick your ass if she wants to.
- People Puppets: She can use her puppet technique on people as well, as when she uses it on Sakura to help her fight Sasori.
- Person of Mass Destruction: While a lesser example than most in the series, she still fits having been said to take down an entire castle with her puppets.
- Power Nullifier: She has a sealing jutsu that can pin and seal an enemy's chakra.
- Razor Wire: Her Parent Puppets are equipped with some, allowing them to slice and dice with ease.
- Revenge Before Reason: Averted(who is very notable considering this series). She holds no grudge against Kakashi for what his father did, and only attacks him initially because she thought he was the real deal.
- Retired Badass: Her introductory scene? Fishing. Baki had to beg her to get up and help.
Secret Test of Character, which is what throws Gaara past the Despair Event Horizon. Gaara himself wouldn't know about it for many years, thinking that Yashamaru truly hated him. In reality the person he truly hated was Gaara's father, his brother-in-law, the Fourth Kazekage, and that he did care about Gaara.
Favorite word: "affection"
- Combat Medic: Was a medic-nin and an ANBU who served as his brother in laws right hand.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And how. In some countries, the dub refers to him as female and Gaara's aunt.
- Flechette Storm: He can use chakra strings to launch a torrent of kunai without throwing them.
- Flying Weapon: The kunais described above.
- Half-Identical Twins: Subverted: him and Karura weren't twins, but looked very much alike anyway. Or it could be just Only Six Faces syndrome.
- Jerk Ass Facade: He didn't do it because he wanted to, but under orders of the Kazekage. It turns out that he didn't hate Gaara at all and legitimately cared for him, and the person he actually hated was his brother-in-law, the Fourth Kazekage.
- Kick the Dog: Telling Gaara that his mom never loved him, then trying to kill him.
- Living Emotional Crutch: The moment Yashamaru said he never cared for Gaara and attempted to kill him, Gaara's Start of Darkness began.
- Motive Rant: After an Dramatic Unmask, he tells Gaara that he hated him for being responsible for Karura's death through his birth. It turns out to be an fabricated one to test Gaara's capacity to control the Shukaku under emotional pressure.
- Nice Guy: Subverted; he tells Gaara it was an act when he attempts to assassinate him. This becomes a double subversion when this is revealed to be a lie much later-see the above.
- Parental Substitute: He was the one who raised Gaara.
- Posthumous Character: He's dead by the time the series starts.
- Suicide Attack: He attempted one on Gaara after giving him his Motive Rant, using paperbombs. It obviously didn't work.
- Undying Loyalty: To Suna. As a shinobi, he served as a member of Suna's black ops and as the right hand of the Fourth Kazekage, Gaara's father despite hating him for sealing Shukaku into his pregnant older sister and Gaara's mother. It was because of this loyalty that Yashamaru willingly went through the assassination attempt to test Gaara despite legitimately caring for him.
Voiced by: Yukari Oribe (JP)The Kazekage's wife, Yashamaru's older sister, and the mom of the Sand Siblings. She died when Gaara was born, having been used as a sacrifice for the Shunkaku to be implanted into her youngest child.
- Death by Childbirth: She was dying from complications after giving birth so she offered herself as the sacrifice to seal the Shukaku in her son.
- Mama Bear: Little Gaara convinced himself that Karura was protecting him via his sand and the Shuukaku, as psychological defense against his horrid life. It turned out that this was true: it's confirmed in her Famous Last Words ("What a small, feeble child... No matter what happens, I'll always protect you! Gaara...!") and by how Gaara's sand, as he gets free from the Kazekage's Gold Dust, takes Karura's form.
- Missing Mom: She died shortly after giving birth to Gaara.
- Posthumous Character: She's dead by the time the series starts.
Rasa (The Fourth Kazekage)
Voiced by: Masahiko Tanaka (JP), Crispin Freeman (EN), Ricardo Brust (Latin American Spanish)The former leader of the Hidden Sand Village, a Knight Templar who reaches horrible extremes to protect his village. These include: using his own wife Karura as a sacrifice to seal the Shukaku into his youngest child, subjecting said child to Training from Hell and abuse, then attempting to get him killed several times when Gaara didn't turn out to be the perfect Tyke Bomb he wanted.Kabuto resurrected him with Edo Tensei. He's now facing the much more adult and mature Gaara, who calls him out on what he did to him ever since he was born. And we also get to see exactly why he was such an asshole.
- Abusive Parents: He was a Doting Parent until Gaara lost control over the Shukaku at around six years old.
- All There in the Manual: His name wasn't revealed until after the manga ended.
- Archnemesis Dad: Up until his death. By the time he was revived by the Edo Tensei, Gaara had already forgiven him, having come to understand his motivations during his time as Kazekage. Before the Fourth is sealed, the two make their peace and he leaves the village in his son's hands.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Subverted - after being revived with Edo Tensei and seeing that his son has become the Kazekage, he calls himself out.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Uses Gold like Gaara uses sand.
- Faceless Eye: He can use his Gold Dust to make a third eye just like his son.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: And heavy which is why he was the perfect counter to the Shukaku's powers in the past.
- Kick the Dog: His treatment of Gaara as a kid, and specially telling Yashamaru to put on a Jerk Ass Facade and lie to him about Karura and himself, purely to test Gaara's strength. It worked as well as you'd expect.
- Love Makes You Evil: He loved Sunagakure and wanted to protect it. He pulled horrible shit on his own family, to make sure the village could continue to thrive.
- Metallic Motifs: He has a Gold motif which is thematic to his attitude of looking for the value of everything.
- Moveset Clone: He uses many of the same ninjutsu as Gaara only using Gold Dust instead of Sand. This makes sense given Gaara said his father personally tutored him in ninjutsu when he was young.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Nice job turning your youngest child into a Jinchuriki - resulting in most of the village hating and fearing him - sending his uncle, the one person he thought genuinely cared for him, to die on a suicide mission and ordering him to lie to Gaara about how his mother never loved him in order to test Shukaku, and leaving Gaara to grow up hating everyone and everything, believing that no-one ever loved him, and killing people to verify his own existence. Not to mention the impact it must have had on Temari and Kankuro.
- Offing the Offspring: Tries that on young Gaara more than once.
- Pet the Dog: Ultimately telling Gaara that Karura did love him.
- Posthumous Character: A variation. Before he was resurrected by Edo Tensei his only real appearances were in Gaara's flashbacks. By the time the Chunin exams were taking place- which would have been the first time readers had seen him in-person, had Orochimaru not been impersonating him- he was already dead.
- Secret Test of Character: He issued one on Gaara asking Yashamaru to test one last time if Gaara could control himself after he murdered several people.
- Selective Magnetism: His bloodline Magnet Release, as Required Secondary Powers. Yes, gold can be magnetized if in a field.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Both of his sons strongly resemble him despite looking quite different themselves.
- Unnamed Parent: His name is never given in the manga itself. The final databook eventually reveals that his name is Rasa, though it's never mentioned in the actual manga.
- What Were You Thinking?: So you thought that ordering Yashamaru to kill and mentally torture Gaara to see if the already unstable boy was able to have a grip on his beast was a good idea? What an Idiot!
The Third Kazekage
Considered to be the strongest leader of the Sand Village. He was assassinated by Sasori, and his disappearance led to war and the election of the 4th Kazekage.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His Iron Sand was inspired by the One-Tails and its hosts' use of sand.
- Badass: Respected by all in the sand village, and even Sasori says he was hard to kill.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Similar to the 4th Kazekage, the 3rd uses Iron Sand by...
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: After becoming a puppet Sasori installed a seal on his right arm that allows this.
- People Puppets: He became one after his death.
- Poisoned Weapons: Given that Sasori modified him this is par the course.
- Posthumous Character
- Retcon: Originally his bloodline was just magnetism, but was changed to an element years later.
- Selective Magnetism: His bloodline, Magnet Release.
- World's Best Warrior: Is regarded as the strongest Kazekage in all of Suna's history, the keyword here being Kazekage. He was originally considered to be the strongest shinobi Suna had ever produced, and his disappearance during the Third Great Shinobi War was a mystery up to the present storyline, when it was eventually revealed that Sasori killed him. Since Sasori's the one who killed him, that technically makes him the strongest shinobi in Suna's history, hence the Third being only referred to as the strongest Kazekage.
Heel-Face Turn, and has a huge crush on him.
- Adaptation Expansion: In the manga she first appears after Gaara's resurrection. She's just one of the two fangirls, with no more importance. The anime makes her to appear much earlier. It also gives her a backstory and some characterization (Nice Girl, Parental Abandonment, Does Not Like Weapons).
- Blow You Away: She is part of Temari's Wind Style squad in the anime.
- Fangirl: For Gaara complete with Squee.
- Faux Action Girl: She usually appears in first line and apparently sports a chuunin rank, which automatically qualifies her as a strong shinobi, but atypically enough, she never fights on-screen in the entire anime and has not shown a single jutsu (although she is supposedly a Wind-style user like Temari).
- Mentor Ship: Has a BIG crush on Gaara, somewhat interesting since she is a year older then him.
- Older Than They Look: Especially in her filler arc: she's a year older than Gaara.
- Only Six Faces: She looks quite similar to Sakura, only with black eyes and brown hair.
- Parental Abandonment: Her parents got killed when she was a kid.
- Rank Up: After the timeskip, she is seen donning a full kunoichi outfit, proving that she has graduated to genin status.
- In episode 261, she's seen wearing a Suna flak jacket and standing with the rest of the Allied Shinobi Forces after listening to Gaara's speech, implying that she's been made a chuunin since the time Shippuden started.
- Real Is Brown: After becoming a ninja, her outfit is almost entirely brown and navy, as opposed to the turquoise, yellow, purple, and black she wore before.
- Satellite Character: Her entire characterization centers around her relationship with Gaara.
- Ship Tease: With Gaara.
Voiced by: Yukari Oribe (JP)A former Sand jounin resurrected as part of Kabuto's immortal army for the Great War.
- Adaptation Expansion: In the manga, she appears in a total of two scenes, killing a couple of red shirts before being defeated off-panel. The anime gives her an episode of her own, explaining her backstory.
- Back from the Dead / Our Zombies Are Different: Revived by edo tensei.
- Blow You Away: The second component of her advanced chakra nature, though like the other we don't see her actually blow people away.
- Et Tu, Brute?: In the anime backstory, she was literally backstabbed by a Mist ninja. When she sees her former pupil supporting one in a mixed team, she is not happy about it.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Matsuri has a HUGE crush on Gaara.
- One-Hit Kill: You get hit by one of her heat bullets - it will boil the water out of you and leave you a mummified husk. Simple as that.
- Passing the Torch: Before Being sealed her past student convinces her to let go of her hatred-thinking on her student's words Pakura decides to "give the children a chance to change the future" and passes on her will of a better future to to her student.
- Playing with Fire: A component of her advanced chakra nature, though none of the techniques we see her use actually set anything on fire.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Her special Scorch Release bloodline allows her to dramatically raise the temperature of anything her flaming orbs hit.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child/Would Hurt a Child: Was surprised/irritated when she found out that she was going to have fight what she deemed to be "children" but was forced to due to Edo Tensei