open/close all folders
Hidden Cloud Village provide example of:
- Cool Sword: While not having an elite group like the Mist, swordsmanship is one of the Cloud's specialities and way more common among its ninjas in general.
- Electric Black Guy: It's the only nation with black people and specialises on lightning powers.
- Shock and Awe: Compare Leaf's Playing with Fire, Mist's Making a Splash, Sand's Blow You Away and Rock's Dishing Out Dirt.
Voiced By: Hideaki Tezuka (JP) Beau Billingslea (EN)
Shinobi ought not lower their heads so easily, action and power are what shinobi respect!His birth name is unknown. Rather, he uses a Nom de Guerre: A. He is the leader of the Cloud Village and Killer Bee's older brother.When he hears of Killer Bee's apparent demise at the hand of Akatsuki and Sasuke Uchiha, he calls a meeting of the Kages and sends Team Samui to the Leaf Village to inform them and request intel on Sasuke. While on the way to the meeting, Naruto talks to him and pleads for him to give mercy to Sasuke, but the Raikage ignores him. During the meeting he emphasizes that his village is the only one which has had no attachment to Akatsuki, but also causes a ruckus when he smashes part of the table and objects to Mifune nominating Danzo to lead the forces against Akatsuki. When Zetsu's white half interrupts with news that Sasuke is in the building, he promptly grabs him by the neck and strangles him until he loses consciousness. He then heads out with his bodyguards to confront Sasuke, and proceeds to knock Jugo unconscious and attack Sasuke even when it costs him his arm to do so, and would have killed them both if Gaara hadn't intervened.He later goes on to serve as Supreme Commander of the Allied Shinobi Forces. He goes on to try and stop Naruto and Killer B's escape from captivity, reasoning that Jinchuuriki don't have the luxury of leading normal lives and even tries to kill Naruto to prevent Akatsuki from gaining the Nine-Tailed Fox. Fortunately his brother stops him and both B and Naruto prove to A that they're worthy of being let out to help aid in the war.A later fights with the other four Kage in an effort to stop the real Madara Uchiha but fail due to his enormous power. He is later healed and aids however he can throughout the rest of the war.Two years later, A reveals that his village had a giant laser gun that they use to obliterate giant meteorites that normal shinobi could not destroy by themselves. However, A, being the extremist that he is, wished to wipe out the moon in an effort to save the world, with Naruto, Hinata and the rest still on it. Thankfully he's overridden by the other Kages and his own brother.Years after that, A gives up his position of Kage to Darui.
- Appeal to Force:See Social Darwinist. His darwinism boils to this.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: His battle strategy.
- Badass Longrobe: A plain white one.
- Battle Aura: While fighting he surrounds himself in a shroud of lightning for both offensive and defensive purposes.
- Big Good: Once he is the Supreme Commander of the Allied Shinobi Forces.
- The Big Guy: Of the Five Kages when fighting against Madara. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 made this clear in the second phase of the fight against Madara, when you, controlling Tsunade, have to order him to give Madara a Megaton Punch to bring Madara down to the ground so Tsunade can fight him.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: White in the manga, but tinted yellow in the Anime.
- Facepalm Of Doom: Played for Laughs. He often punishes Bee by giving him the "Iron Claw".
- Fastest Thing Alive: Gained this title after the death of the Fourth Hokage. Naruto would later take it from him.
- A Father to His Men: He shows it in his own way.
- Handicapped Badass: He is forced to cut off his own arm to save himself. It hasn't slowed him down that much, despite the fact that it was his main hand.
- Implacable Man: Him cutting his own arm off didn't even faze him. You can argue that rage was suppressing the pain, since he thought that was fighting the responsible for his brother's death.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: With a little of Grey and Gray Morality, that comes with the position and setting. He became a jerk to his brother at some point in the past. Also towards people from other countries. However, he is an inspiring Father To His Men and cares deeply and even too much for his little brother, even though Bee isn't actually related to him at all. He was also behind Hinata's kidnapping, while his father was probably behind Kushina's.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Wants to destroy Akatsuki, and kill Sasuke in particular in the fastest way possible after the attack on his brother, but calms down somewhat after learning the truth (instead becoming angry with Bee for sneaking out of the village).
- Large and in Charge: The leader of his village, and so far the largest person in the series. Also the official leader of the allied ninja forces, although Gaara is currently the Kage taking charge on the field.
- Large Ham: When irritated.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Attacks Sasuke on sight, tries to hit Tobi and comically fails, and goes through windows rather than doors, throgh this lant one can be a penchant for drama.
- Life-or-Limb Decision: Due to Sasuke's Amaterasu attaching to his arm, he chose to remove his arm rather than allow it to spread to the rest of his body and kill him.
- Lightning Bruiser: A literal example. Despite his enormous size, he is incredibly fast, and can use lightning chakra to enhance his reflexes.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: Not only it enhances his strength, toughness, speed and reaction to absurd levels, it also acts as a shield.
- Manly Tears: So manly that everyone else nearby must cry in unison.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: He wears a long-sleeved white jacket that covers only his back and hands, conveniently concealing his missing left hand.
- Overprotective Dad: Not per se, but the day he became Raikage, A decided Killer Bee wouldn't allowed to leave the village. Ever.
- Revenge Before Reason: It's quite ironic that he gives a very good demonstration of this to Sasuke, whose entire characterization ironically revolves around this trope. He sacrifices his left arm without hesitation just to hit the Sauce.
- Scary Black Man: He's huge, intimidating, and seems to be angry most of the time, which is manifested in his tendency to break furniture and walls.
- Social Darwinist: He believes that a shinobi is defined by his strength and an absolute of the shinobi world that those without power will be crushed. Unusually, he said this as less of a "The Reason You Suck" Speech and more of a stern lecture.
- The Southpaw: Although that didn't stop him from using his left hand to punch through Amaterasu.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Because of language puns his named can be romanized as A/Ei/Ē. Keeping with the Theme Naming its A.
- Super Speed: The fastest shinobi alive, second only to the Fourth Hokage (and even then, only at range) until Naruto surpassed him.
- There Was a Door: He is seen smashing through both a window (his own office window, at that) and a wall that blocked the fastest route to his destination, and his secretary suggested this happens often.
- The Unfettered: He will do anything to achieve victory at all costs. When Naruto and Killer Bee escaped their confinement, and weren't persuaded to stay hidden during the 4th Ninja World War, he considered killing Naruto, to prevent Tobi capturing all the tailed beasts.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: His jacket is always open, leaving everything exposed.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Most of his attacks are based on and named after wrestling moves.
Voiced By: Ryota Takeuchi (JP) Ogie Banks (EN)
It's true that words can be used as tools, to lie and deceive. But when it really counts… they're also the only way to tell the truth about how you feel right here.A high ranking Cloud-nin and the Raikage's bodyguard. He is appointed as general of the 1st Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces. He later becomes the Raikage sometime after the War.
- Apologises a Lot: A trait that saves his life against the Kin-Gin brothers.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: General of the 1st Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces; he also eventually becomes the Fifth Raikage.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: While strong himself his boss is much more powerful.
- BFS: His sword looks like a giant cleaver. It can be folded sideways and sheathed for transportation.
- Beam Spam: Storm Release: Laser Circus.
- Macross Missile Massacre: In spirit. It's nigh-impossible that the 'Circus' name is not a reference to 'Itano Circus'
- Brilliant, but Lazy: The easy going type to counter Shikamaru's lazy interpretation of this trope. They get a patrolling mission together in Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 with Naruto. At the great displeasure of Naruto, Shikamaru and Darui ends up having a rest on the beach they were supposed to check while Naruto does the mission alone with clones. This was actually planned by Shikamaru, knowing that if he got lazy, Naruto would end up doing the job.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: To be exact, an African like blonde.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Combining lightning with water.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With C.
- Light 'em Up: The Storm Release is a quasi-example. It's supercharged Lighting using Water as a conductor with its flowing nature, but serves just like laser beams.
- Making a Splash: One of the two ordinary elements he is able to use.
- Nerves of Steel: Darui is always calm and collected, even when facing down an enraged pseudo-Jinchuuriki like Kinkaku.
- Nice Guy: A very, very pleasant shinobi who's polite and courteous to everyone he meets. And when he's the Fifth Raikage, he's the first to excuse Naruto's late arrival to a Kage Summit.
- Number Two: To the point the Raikage doesn't mind losing his dominant arm because he still has Darui, his best right hand.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His left eye is almost always covered.
- Shock and Awe: One of the two ordinary elements he is able to use. He is apparently also capable of using BLACK lightning, passed down to him by the Third Raikage
- Spellblade: He is able to use the lightning element chakra flow on his sword to make a Vibroweapon.
Voiced By: Kenji Fukuda (JP) Vic Mignogna (EN)
Another high rank Cloud-nin and the Raikage's other bodyguard. He is assigned to the Sensor Division to help co-ordinate intelligence in the Fourth Shinobi World War.
- Bodyguarding a Badass:Just like Darui.
- Bishōnen: Definitely, compared to most of the other men of the Hidden Cloud.
- Blinded by the Light: Uses an illusion which functions as a constant high powered flash bang.
- Elemental Barrier: He can alter his body so it emits a blinding light, creating a similar effect to this.
- Healing Hands: Being a medical ninja he can use the Mystical Palm Technique to heal.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Darui.
- Master of Illusion: Lightning Illusion: Flash Pillar, which blinds his opponents.
- The Medic: Is a medical ninja.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Another sensor type.
- One-Letter Name: Follows the other theme naming scheme of the Cloud Village. Well if you're spelling with S's
- Shock and Awe: Uses a lightning element genjutsu.
- Satellite Character: All we see from his character is when interacting with Darui or The Fourth Raikage.
- Support Party Member: He hasn't been seen using any offensive techniques, focusing more on medical ninjutsu, sensing and genjutsu.
Voiced By: Hikari Yono (JP), Cindy Robinson (EN)
One of Killer Bee's students and the leader of their three-man cell. Currently serving in the First Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces, but got sealed away by Ginkaku. She and her brother are later freed by Darui.
- Closer to Earth: She keeps Omoi and Karui in check.
- Cool Sword: Shame we never saw her use it in combat.
- Faux Action Girl: Despite being a respected kunoichi in the Cloud, she didn't do anything in the Fourth Shinobi World War and was defeated pretty quickly, though not as fast as her brother. Of course, she was fighting characters way above her level. In her defense, she was not flat out beaten but trapped in a weapon with a rather odd effect that could easily incapacitate anyone regardless of their power.
- Gag Boobs: Contends with Tsunade, Mei and Hinata for biggest chest in the series.
- Ice Queen: Her personality and name. Also "cool" is her favorite word and how she was trapped by the Kinkaku brothers.
- Meaningful Name: It means "cool" which so happens to be her favorite word.
- The Stoic: She makes Shino seem excited. She barely emotes in all her appearances and she was the only one to not react with the news of Killer Bee being captured by Akatsuki, or even his return.
- Team Mom: The one who keeps Karui and Omoi from and scolds them for going too wild, especially when B has been taken.
- Worf Effect: Against Ginkaku and Kinkaku. She was supposed to be the best student of Killer Bee and a deadly ninja but it took little time to bring her down and show how badass these two zombie criminals really are.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: As far as we know she and her brother are still in the gourd, and the gourd has been eaten by the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path. Furthermore, the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox himself has stated that whatever goes in can never come out. Until chapter 699 showed she managed to got out.
Voiced By: Yuka Komatsu (JP) Danielle Nicolet (EN)
Another of Killer Bee's students, a somewhat hot-tempered kunoichi swordswoman. Currently serving in the 2nd Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces. She later moves to Konoha and marries Choji; together they have one daughter, Chocho Akimichi.
- A-Cup Angst Flat-chested and somewhat sensitive about it.
- Action Girl: She doesn't carry that sword around for show.
- Bash Brothers: She and Omoi share a similar fighting style and fight well as a duo.
- Babies Ever After: With Choji, a daughter named Chocho.
- Cool Sword: In terms of fighting style, Karui relies mainly on kenjutsu, wielding a long katana in battle.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She combines that with golden eyes.
- Fiery Redhead: Prone to emotional outbursts when upset.
- Hot-Blooded: Lets her emotions show easily.
- The McCoy: Karui is quite outspoken, stubborn, irritable, arrogant and impulsive, allowing her emotions to come out, as she angrily yelled at Team Kakashi for allowing the renegade Sasuke to run loose.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Omoi's blue.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She ends up marrying the kind, sensitive, and humble Choji.
- Spellblade: She is able to use the lightning element chakra flow on her sword to make a Vibroweapon.
- Tender Tears: When worried about Killer Bee.
- Tsundere: Despite beating Naruto up at his request, Omoi suspects that she's inwardly worried about him.
Voiced By: Kunihiro Kawamoto (JP) Ogie Banks (EN)
Killer Bee's third student, who worries about many things. Currently serves in the Surprise Attack Division, and helped take down the resurrected Sasori and Deidara. He goes on to become the current bodyguard of the next Raikage, Darui.
- Bash Brothers: He and Karui share a similar fighting style and fight well as a duo. It's unclear if they are siblings.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Comes up with highly pessimistic and improbable scenarios, like believing that a rock Karui threw could cause an avalanche that could destroy Konoha and after reaching Konoha, was convinced for a moment that it did. This was just after Pain's invasion, by the way.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: He's a black man with blond hair.
- Epileptic Trees: Has a penchant for looking for the Worst Case Scenario, in everything.
- Meaningful Name: Means "heavy" in contrast to Karui, which is "light, or can mean "feelings", which indicates his thoughtful, often gloomy personality.
- Oral Fixation: A lollipop.
- The One Guy: In an inversion of The Smurfette Principle almost omnipresent in teams of three in this series, is a male on a team with two females.
Voiced by: Naoki Tamanoi (JP), Beau Billingslea (EN)
The previous Raikage, father of the Fourth and considered one of the mightiest Ninjas to had ever lived. Died during the Third War by stopping an army of 10,000 Ninjas for three days, allowing his subordinates to escape safely. Known only in flashbacks of A and Killer Bee's childhood. Revived with Edo Tensei and fighting the second front in the Fourth Shinobi World War along with Nidaime Tsuchikage, Yondaime Kazekage and Nidaime Mizukage. Faced most of the Fourth Division and was destroying them, until Naruto showed up and has a moment of opportunity that causes the Raikage to impale himself.
- Black and Gray Morality: While he is morally ambiguous like other Shinobi, Mu's underhanded and selfish goals piss him off completely.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: His scar. Well, that's what everyone assumed to be.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: The 10,000 Ninjas who he fought with in the past. The Shinobi Alliance did not fare any better.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Stated to be one the few people that have actually fought a Tailed beast head-on without the use of seals and won. Albeit it was more of a tie as both he and the eight tails collapsed at the end.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: He halted 10,000 ninjas for three days.
- Epic Fail: How he got his scar.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Black scleroses.
- A Father to His Men: Fights Gyuki one-on-one so his comrade could escape.
- Finger Poke of Doom: A more serious example. The Jigo Kuzuki Yonhon Nukite (Four Fingered Hell-Bringer Hand) concentrate his entire might in the tips of his fingers, making a penetrating attack that is hundreds of times stronger than Raikiri. It took the force of one finger to penetrate a squadron forged giant Doton wall, reinforced with Lava and kill dozens of Shinobis, to give you an idea.
- Inverted in that the move gets more powerful the fewer fingers he employs for his technique. Using one finger is basically his strongest move, probably because fewer fingers means lower impact absorption by the target, which means the penetration is higher.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Naruto defeated him by redirecting his attack with a Sage Rasengan to his shoulder.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Like the rest of the Kages, he is enraged that Kabuto brought him back to life and is doing his best to help the army to bring him down for good.
- Implacable Man: He gets hit by Naruto's Rasenshuriken Kyubi Chakra Mode, the single deadliest Wind technique ever created, that cuts objects at their cellular level in the form of a concentrated mile-wide storm. Made of microscopic energy blades. And he just shrugs it off! Albeit the attack still destroys his lightning armor, stuns him, and does some damage, just not enough to keep him down long enough to be sealed.
- The Juggernaut: He is this for the Kages, who are all to a fault One-Man Army. It was stated that nothing could slow him in a fight. A rumor that the Allied Shinobi Forces learned the hard way.
- Legacy Character: He was the one who gave lighting release armour to A, Black Lighting to Darui and Hachibi to Killer Bee.
- Lightning Bruiser: A literal one like his son, A. Though he was not as fast as A.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: A moderate-sized scar on his chest, and call it "his greatest shame"? It's self-inflicted, though.
- Nice Guy: He tries to give the soldiers to Alliance some hints in how to defeat him.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The toughness of his skin and body were legendary, capable of receiving over hundreds of jutsus head-on without even a scratch. His only known losses before his death were due to exhaustion rather than injury.
- He's the only person trusted with the Heavenly Transfer Technique, which is normally only used to transport items because they warp at a speed that would tear one's flesh off.
- No-Sell: Three so far to the Shinobi army. Only being stopped briefly by a Rasenshuriken, ripping the Cloth Binding Technique, and pulverizing an earth wall along with dozens of soldiers.
- One-Man Army: At difference of the rest in the Narutoverse, he won this distinction by stopping an actual army. Made of 10,000 ninjas. For three days.
- Razor-Sharp Hand: Jigo Kuzuki Yonhon Nukite (Four Fingered Hell-Bringer Hand)
- Scars Are Forever: In form of a lighting bolt, appropriate enough.
- Takes One to Kill One: In a weird twist, he technically defeated himself. Being extremely durable, it either takes 10,000 ninja keeping this man at bay for three days...or his strongest attack to actually kill him. Makes you wonder why the title God of Shinobi isn't bestowed on this guy too, though apparently we never saw he facing another Kage in the past, and his lack of speed and low jutsu variety could impede him.
- Unnamed Parent: He's A's father and his name is never revealed.
- Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object: His "Hell-Bringer Hand" techniques are compared to an unstoppable spear, that pierces everything in its way, while his iron-hard body clad in his lightning-armor is called an unbreakable shield. Naruto figures out that this is a paradox, and proves that the Raikage's spear is stronger than his shield.
- Why Won't You Die?: Three days.
- World's Strongest Man: Acknowledged in universe to be the most powerful shinobi Kumogakure ever produced.
Head ninja of Kumogakure
Head Ninja of KumogakureThe man who was some sort of shinobi leader or one of lower leaders of Kumogakure. Came to Konoha under a guise to sign a peace treaty, only to abuse the event, so he can gain Byakugan, by kidnapping the Hyuga family's heir Hinata. But his plan failed, and he died of humiliating death by Hiashi Hyuga.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: He had big sardonic smile on his face during his procession on streets of Konoha, that implied he is up to something.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: From the hand of Hiashi.
- Dirty Coward: He came to make peace, but betrayed peace and Konoha, and went so low to kidnap an innocent little girl in the middle of the night from her bed.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He is only referred to as Head ninja, though he must have a name to sign on the peace treaty.
- The Leader: He was sent as one of Cloud's leaders on important mission and when he was killed Cloud made so much noise because he was important as leader in their village.
- Obviously Evil: Seriously, in the context Neji mentions him, his smile and the below Red Right Hand, any viewer could predict in seconds he was up to no good.
- Overrated and Underleveled: Most fans believed that since he was the Head Ninja of the Cloud, that he should be strong and powerful. But this is disapproved almost immediately after his introduction, since Hiashi killed him very quickly.
- Red Right Hand: Or to be exactly headband covering his right eye and his whole head has bandages on place where hair is.
- The Voiceless: Has no speech role.