Characters: Naruto-Team Tobi
If you're still in the dark about it
, Tobi is the true mastermind behind Akatsuki and Zetsu is his right hand man, er, plant man thing. Together, they are the Akatsuki threat that drags the world into its final battle. With White Zetsu dead, his creator, Madara Uchiha has taken his place.
This page exists because the Akatsuki page grew so unbelievably large that it had to be split. See here
for the other Akatsuki members.
Note that all three of Team Tobi are essentially Walking Spoiler
.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Tobi / Obito Uchiha
The real leader of Akatsuki and main antagonist of the series.
Prior to the start of the series, Tobi claims to have masterminded
several key events: bestowing the Rinnegan to Nagato; pushing for Yahiko to found the Akatsuki; and taking control of Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage and jinchuriki of the Three-Tailed Beast. Twelve years before the start of the series Tobi attacked Konoha and unleashed the Nine-Tailed Fox from its jinchuriki, Kushina Uzumaki, indirectly causing her death and that of her husband Minato Namikaze. Eight years later he assisted Itachi in slaughtering the Uchiha clan, and at some point met with Danzo.
In the present, Tobi was introduced as Zetsu's underling and a replacement partner for Deidara after Sasori's death. He was a zany comic relief Joke Character
, being constantly beaten up by Deidara, but possessed intangibility
and constantly wore an orange, spiral-patterned mask
. He was seemingly killed when Deidara committed suicide, but came Back from the Dead
claiming to be Madara Uchiha
. He subsequently dropped the goofy facade and revealed Itachi's true motives to Sasuke, further driving him down the path of revenge. He enlisted Taka as Akatsuki associates, and revealed the existence of the Sage of the Six Paths to Naruto before declaring war on the entire Ninja World. To this end, he created an army of White Zetsus, reluctantly allied himself with Kabuto, killed Konan in a fight, stole the Rinnegan, revived the Jinchuriki to serve as his Six Paths of Pain, and is attempting to resurrect the Ten Tailed Beast
in order to become its jinchuriki and take over the world by hypnotizing everyone
. He got into a fight that was initially just against Naruto and Bee, but eventually expanded to the entire Shinobi Alliance. Despite being unable to capture the Eight and Nine Tails he managed to revive the Ten Tails anyway with samples of their chakra (tailed beasts are basically just living chakra anyway) and briefly became its jinchuriki before Madara haxed it for himself.
In addition, as Kabuto indirectly revealed, Tobi is not the real Madara
. It is eventually revealed that he is, in fact, Obito Uchiha
, a teammate of Kakashi Hatake who seemingly sacrificed himself to save his comrades. He was rescued by an elderly Madara Uchiha, who replaced the damaged half of his body with tissue from the Living Statue of Hashirama
. Obito initially refused to aid Madara in his Eye of the Moon plan
, but after witnessing Rin's death
he returned and received his training. After Madara's death, Obito cast aside his name and took up Madara's name as an alias, meeting with Nagato (who was given his Rinnegan eyes by the real Madara) and proposing an alliance, thus forming the foundations of Akatsuki.
He also became the host of the Ten Tails; however the combined efforts of the Alliance led by Naruto freed the Tailed Beasts from the Ten-Tails, leaving him nothing but the useless husk.
Tobi is also the main antagonist of Naruto Shippuden Movie 6.
His hobby is accompanying "Deidara-senpai".
Favorite phrase: "Secret"
Note that they are all from his goofy facade.
- Achilles' Heel: The fact that his and Kakashi's Sharingan eyes are using the same dimension for Kamui enabled the heroes to hit him a few times.
- After becoming the Juubi's Jinchuriki, he's able to negate any ninjutsu, including Edo Tensei. However he can't cancel out senjutsu/Sage techiques, which allowed Naruto to injure him.
- Affably Evil/Faux Affably Evil: Is a bit of both; he acts polite, patient, easy going and pretty laid-back but he's really a zealot that will stop at nothing to accomplish his goals.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Obito is getting this treatment towards the end of the confrontation with him.
- Alien Blood: We've seen blood in this series. Whatever it is that comes out when he cuts off his arm, it's not human blood. It's plant matter.
- Almighty Idiot: Obito's initial inability to control the Ten Tails results in it almost tearing his psyche to pieces, to the point where when Minato tells Obito to stop, the guy doesn't even recognize his own name.
Minato: Stop it, Obito... That's enough!
Obito: O... Bi... To...?
- Alternate Dimension: Obito's unique Kamui ability leaves him in a near-constant state of dimensional flux, in-between reality, and somewhere else. Meaning, its almost impossible to catch or hit him.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: As the Jinchuriki of the Ten-Tails, he has unnatural greyish white skin.
- Antagonist Abilities:
- Sharingan Powers:
- Rinnegan Powers:
- People Puppets: He can use chakra rods to control people as the Paths of Pain.
- Touch of Death: He can extract a person's soul using the Human Path.
- Other Powers:
- Anti-Villain: Started out as a lonely heartwarming orphan like Naruto but gets crushed before the death of the person he loved the most in a brutal war scheme which leads him to hate the world and try to change it through an Assimilation Plot, he may have commited several atrocities but in a world filled with child soldiers and senseless conflicts his goals appeal to him as the only solution to end suffering and reunite himself and other people with their deceased loved ones.
- His internal conflict regarding his evil actions in the face of his former idealism is the primary reason he is actually defeated; if deep down he didn't regret his actions or had completely given up the love he held for his comrades then he would have killed Naruto and completed his plan a long time ago instead of playing Complexity Addiction and debating the beliefs of the protagonist.
- Becomes an Anti-Hero in chapter 665 when he attacks Madara and declares he is "Obito Uchiha" and not Madara.
- Appendage Assimilation: Tobi can regrow his arms using the Hashirama clone, and can swap out eyes as needed.
- This is because half his body was crushed by a boulder and replaced with Zetsu cells, and he gave his original left eye to Kakashi.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: Was this to Minato, who he ends up causing the death of.
- Asshole Victim: Sure, Madara sacrificing him to revive himself is tragic, but this is the same man who had slaughtered his own clan note , caused the inner conflict within the Mist Village using the Fourth Mizukage as a figure head, manipulated the Akatsuki into a criminal organization to commit atrocities across the nations, and was directly responsible for Naruto being an orphan in the first place; it's kinda hard to not feel that it was Laser-Guided Karma for all the stuff he pulled.
- Assimilation Plot: His main goal. Kishimoto may have got the idea from his brother. And considering how this desire was triggered by the death of his beloved Rin, he's on the way to becoming the ninja equivalent of Gendo Ikari.
- Ax-Crazy: Was a horrifying example of the trope when he slaughtered the Hidden Mist troops who were responsible for Rin's death - and this from a 14-year-old. He's calmed down somewhat as an adult, though his insanity remains. At least up until his Heel-Face Turn.
- Badass: The true leader of Akatsuki is no pushover, starting a world war without batting an eyelash. His badassery comes from being personally trained by the original Madara Uchiha. Even then, Obito screws over his Evil Mentor's plans by becoming the first person since the Sage of Six Paths to seal the Ten-Tailed Beast into himself.
"... If you want to see what's under my mask... You're gonna have to work for it. Eight-Tails... Nine-Tails... I will capture you both... And complete the Moon's Eye!"
"I am Madara Uchiha, and I possess the power of Hashirama Senju! I am unique! I am the second Sage of the Six Paths!"
- Barrier Warrior: His usage of Uchiha Keanjin (Uchiha Flame Battle Trap) makes him one. Doubles as Playing with Fire.
- Barred from the Afterlife: After his Heel-Face Turn he thinks that for his crimes he's unworthy to ever see Rin again in the afterlife.
- The Beastmaster: Obito's appearance after becoming the Ten Tail's Jinchuuriki, though incomplete, is still strangely more attune to the beast-like nature of the God Tree, and unlike any other Jinchuuriki transformation, including the Sage of The Six Paths, and more recently, Madara.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: After a fashion. This is why his true identity is such a shock to Kakashi; the young, kind-hearted, idealistic Obito develops into somebody who is apparently perfectly willing to kill thousands to maintain those ideals through rewriting a Crapsack World reality.
- Becoming the Mask: He chose alternatively to be Madara Uchiha or a faceless "no one", presumably to forget about his past. This probably made it a lot easier for the former idealist to commit atrocities.
- Confirmed in chapter 653 when Naruto calls out Obito on trying to run away from everything that he was before by becoming Tobi and committing atrocities in the name of world peace. Naruto even describes it in the preceding chapter as a mask Obito is wearing.
- BFS: After becoming the Jinchuuriki of the Juubi, he can shape his black orbs into the Sword of Nunoboko, a legendary blade used by the Sage of the Six Paths.
- Big Bad: Easily the most involved antagonist in the series, from Kurama's attack on Konoha to the Fourth Shinobi World War.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Kabuto forced Tobi into an alliance by blackmailing him with Madara's body, but now that he's blown Tobi's cover, Kabuto's lost his hold over Akatsuki. He is also this with Madara.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Alternatively competed with Orochimaru over it, before taking the reins once the Uchiha brothers threw Orochimaru under the bus.
- Dragon with an Agenda: To Madara. He was irritated when he learned that Kabuto just Edo Tensei'd the real Madara whom he had no intention to resurrect in the first place.
- Big Damn Heroes: Obito manages to steal this moment, for if he did not turn against Madara at the final moment, and prevent him from taking his Rinnegan, and Yin Kurama, all would have been lost.
- Bishonen Line: He forces himself across it just before the Ten-Tails can completely destroy his mind.
- Blatant Lies: "I didn't unleash the Nine-Tails on Konoha, it was a natural disaster."
- Blood from the Mouth: In Chapter 609, when Kakashi attacks his body parts while within Kamui.
- Body Horror: He goes through this when he becomes the Ten Tails Jinchuriki until he gains control over its power. It happens on two levels - his physical body starts to look like the actual Ten Tails, while his mental self is torn apart piece-by-piece. It starts tearing his head in two before he reasserts control.
- Breaking Lecture: Several, but the most devastating must be the one he gives to Kakashi, about how he wants to create a world where "heroes don't stand over graves apologizing for their failures".
- In chapter 608 he almost succeeded in giving Kakashi a Heroic BSOD. It takes Naruto shouting to Obito that "He won't let his friends die", mirroring when Kakashi said that against Zabuza, to put him back on track.
- Tries again on Naruto after Neji dies and almost succeeds, but Hinata and Kurama put Naruto back on track. Obito's obsession to break Naruto's spirit so badly is to validate to himself that the path he has chosen is the right one.
- Broken Pedestal: Kakashi spent years trying to live up to Obito's loyalty to his comrades and kindhearted nature, and emulated his personality and mannerisms as a memorial to him.
- Canon Discontinuity: Invoked in universe, this is Obito's reasoning for doing what he does. Rin is Rin only if she's alive, Kakashi is Kakashi only if he can protect Rin, therefore the world he is living in is not the real one. Using the Eternal Tsukuyomi he can pretend this never happened.
- Captain Obvious Reveal: A Double Subversion. He's Obito Uchiha. Everyone saw it coming, or so it seemed. What makes the reveal so masterful is that fans theorized Tobi was Obito the moment he appeared (at the beginning of Part II) due to all the obvious character traits; his similarly sounding name, his mask having a single eyehole on the right side and his pretty much being a happy-go-lucky idiot nobody took seriously to name a few. However, when Tobi revealed himself as "Madara Uchiha" much later, all of a sudden readers abandoned that theory because Tobi took such a huge leap in Badass from his goofy self, it seemed almost impossible for him to be the Uchiha from Kakashi Gaiden. The later reveals, namely his manipulations of Sasuke and the rest of the cast, his inherent knowledge of the historical Naruto universe, his unleashing of Kyubi on Konoha and giving the Fourth Hokage the fight of his life only convinced people further, as it all seemed too far beyond Obito's capabilities. These "logical" facts were so strong that even those who weren't convinced he was Madara still didn't believe he was Obito, with theories surrounding his true identity (ranging from the somehow still living Izuna Uchiha to the elder son of the Sage of Six Paths) being rampant. And even when Kakashi connected the dots with Kamui (i.e. the fact Tobi's teleportation/intangibility were just a variation of the technique) and when the Mangekyo design of Tobi's Sharingan was revealed, the readers still did not know for sure that Tobi was Obito (as Sharingan can be transferred or stolen and implanted into anyone) until Madara himself confirmed it one chapter after his reveal (episode 343). Long story short, the mangaka made Tobi's true identity obvious from the beginning and still fooled everyone, by making him so Badass that Obito seemed like the last person in the universe he could have been.
- Chain Pain: Used a pair of chains on his wrists in his fight with Minato which combined with his intangibility to be pretty deadly. Also uses chakra chains to control the Tailed Beasts.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Seemed like a comic relief type of guy and a Token Good Teammate in Akatsuki, but even then, there was something off about him from the start. This can apply to his true identity, as well.
- The Chessmaster: While Madara came up with the Moon-Eye Plan and started Akatsuki, practically everything afterward was directed by Tobi. Including the manipulation of Nagato and Sasuke, leading Akatsuki from behind the scenes, using the Nine-Tails to attack Konoha and eventually close the curtain on his own clan, all while impersonating Madara. On the other hand, Madara may have instructed him on what he was to do after his death.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As part of his goofy "Tobi" facade.
- Combat Hand Fan: Uses a gunbai.
- Combo Platter Powers: As an Uchiha, Tobi has the Fire Release, Sharingan and Mangekyo Sharingan and all of the accompanying abilities. He also has the Senju DNA, which grants him great vitality and immense chakra reserves (which presumably allows him to constantly use his Mangekyo Sharingan with minimal chakra drain and no side effects to his eyes), regeneration on the right side of his body, Super Strength and the First Hokage's legendary Wood Release. In addition, he also has Earth, Water, Yin, Yang, and Yin-Yang Releases. Oh and right now, he currently has possession of the Rinnegan, and we all know how much of a Story Breaker Power that is.
- He also became the Ten Tails' jinchuriki, giving him greatly increased physical capabilities and a new release which allows him to manipulate black spheres of pure chakra, noted by the Third Hokage to be similar to the Particle Release, which is capable of violating the Law of Conservation of Matter, basically erasing from existence everything that comes in contact with it. Malleable black holes that can change form and volume as he so pleases, while annihilating his victims without a trace. OP much?
- Complexity Addiction: For the past sixteen odd years he has had the ability to teleport himself and others anywhere at any time instantly. He could have accomplished his goal in a matter of hours at literally any point during that time and avoid the entire Fourth World War thing, as well as any actual use for Akatsuki, in the first place. The only reason seems to be that it would go against the plan and would not be fair. He claims, however, that he wants Naruto to fight Sasuke (people that, mind you, didn't exist for half that time, and didn't even know each other until much much later than they were born), that he even needs it. Quite a lot of his plan seems to be to set that ultimate battle up, for whatever mysterious end.
- Handwaved on chapter 655, given that Obito never completely abandoned his former ideals it's likely he spent most of those years Wandering the Earth trying to confirm if his plan was really the right thing to do. His erratic behaviour between a totally focused mastermind willing to kill newborn babies and a flippant fool toying with his own organization can be seen as a deeply conflicted man avoiding to face his pain and doubts while furthering a goal to escape them completely.
- Cool Mask: Obito has had three masks: an orange mask with a black flame like pattern, an orange spiral-shaped mask resembling Guruguru's face, and a white mask resembling the Rinnegan with the Sharingan's tomoe.
- The Corrupter: To both Nagato and Sasuke to a degree, but ultimately fails thanks to Naruto and Itachi. After recognizing his younger self in Naruto, he makes an attempt on him too.
- Cosmic Plaything: An idealistic boy with a heart of gold who nearly dies horribly protecting his friends only to wake up trapped in the clutches of a fatalistic evil ancestor who gives him a cruel Breaking Speech before leaving him to a gruelling recovery. Said boy clinged to the dreams of his team mates just to stay alive and after barely recovering he went on a desperate yet pointless attempt to save them because his best friend broke his promise, the woman he loved killed herself to avoid destroying her village and, to his view, all he did in his life prior to that moment became meaningless over a war that employed cruel and immoral tactics for the sake of victory.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: After a horrible Villainous Breakdown, having seven Bijuu ripped out of his body and giving up on his life for the sake of Naruto, he is possessed by Zetsu, forced to revive Madara and then fight his friend and Sensei while dying slowly and painfully.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Rin's death is what pushed Obito beyond the Despair Event Horizon and directly motivated him into becoming Tobi. This is later expanded upon in that, while Rin's death was his emotional breakdown and his Start of Darkness, it was the cruel plot behind her death that made him lose faith in the world and hate the ninja system for creating that kind of situation.
- Dark Chick: Tobi's role in Akatsuki. When they thought he had been killed, Pain mentioned someone of his caliber would be easy enough to replace. Kisame retorts that Tobi could at least brighten up the room.
- Dark Messiah: According to Madara. He thinks that the world is horrible beyond repair and only turns worse, so the only way to fix it is to fundamentally change reality. Sets up a deliberate contrast to Naruto.
- Dead Person Impersonation: In spite of what he would like everyone, perhaps even himself to believe, he is NOT the original Madara Uchiha. The fact that he actually is supposed to be a dead person makes it more complicated.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has a tendency to make blunt, rude and disrespectful comments to his enemies.
- Death Wail / Overly-Long Scream: When he witnessed Rin's death and carry-on during the slaughter of Mist ANBU.
- Despair Event Horizon: Rin's death was this for him. Although he doesn't seem to care anymore. It doesn't help that chapter 604 reveals that it was Kakashi that killed Rin, when Obito told him to protect her. Later explained that he found out the truth about the situation and didn't blame Kakashi at all for her death. Instead he blames the world and how corrupted and brutal it is.
- Determinator: Nothing, absolutely nothing will stop him. The destruction of his organization, the five great shinobi nations, the immortal zombie Hokages, the All-Loving Hero and his own eye battling him at the same time and beating him to an inch of his life or even Madara betraying him and robing him of his life support. He will simply get up and keep going.
- Then he pulled back together his own mind after being ripped apart by the Ten tails by pure force of will through the love he still has for Rin.
- Despite losing everything after reviving his former master, Obito realizes the sins he committed and is now determined to make up for it. Fighting off someone with the powers of a god while slowly dying makes this guy the most determined character in the manga period.
- Deus ex Machina: His Heel-Face Turn and restoring Yin Kurama to Naruto saves the kid's life, at a point where he was near-dead.
- Diabolical Mastermind: A nice contrast to Orochimaru.
- Discard and Draw: Subverted, he sacrificed his unused Sharingan eye and replaced it with a much more powerful Rinnegan eye.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has been shown to have at least "Earth" for his chakra nature.
- Dragon with an Agenda/The Starscream: Madara trained Obito and put him in charge of carrying on the Moon's Eye Plan following his death, but all along he only viewed him as a replacement for Nagato in case something happened to throw off the Rinne Tensei resurrection. Obito, on the other hand, was using Madara in order to become the jinchuuriki of the Ten Tailed Beast himself.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Tobi's Mangekyo Sharingan abilities make him a defensively formidable combatant. Even knowing about his abilities and planning against them isn't enough, as Fu and Torune can testify. So in order to get past this, all of his opponents have had some sort of exclusive technique to counter his warping/intangible abilities. Minato was able to defeat Tobi by just a split-second using his Flash Step technique; Konan had been observing Tobi's abilities in Akatsuki the whole time and she had to heavily plan, simulate and plant billions of traps to battle him, and she still lost; Kakashi, Naruto, Guy, and Killer Bee had been having trouble even scratching Tobi until Kakashi realized he just happened to have the exact same Kamui dimension as Tobi.
- He possesses the Rinnegan and yet he hasn't demonstrated even half of the techniques that Nagato had. Whether this is due to having only one Rinnegan eye, not as much chakra or experience as Nagato, or just forgetting about them, there's no denying that he'd have a massive Story Breaker Power if he uses all the Rinnegan techniques.
- It is implied though that he has the Six Paths abilities. He probably forgot about them so the good guys could even stand a chance of beating him.
- After becoming the jinchuriki of the Ten-Tails, Obito is unable to use Kamui due to having the Juubi sealed inside his body. This is sort of justified, as the Ten-Tail jinchuriki Obito is already a Physical God, and Ten-Tail jinchuriki Obito with Kamui would virtually make him an invincible Physical God.
- He regains the ability to use Kamui when he starts ripping the Ten-Tails from its latest jinchuriki, Madara. Much to Madara's annoyance, because it means, despite his god-like powers, he cannot catch Obito.
- Dramatic Unmask: Naruto finally manages to shatter his mask by exploiting a weakness in his defenses — and in the process, confirms the Obito theory.
- Duel Boss: In chapter 628, he pulls Kakashi and himself into Kamui, isolating the two of them from the rest of the fighting while mentioning that he was "waiting for this". Presumably, he wants to invoke this on his old teammate.
- Dumbass No More: According to the databooks, his intelligence was a 1/5 as a kid. As an adult, he becomes The Chessmaster.
- Easily Forgiven: After the Bijus are separated from him Minato and Naruto stop Kakashi and Sasuke from killing him, in spite of him possibly indirectly helping to cause the latter's clan's demise, and directly causing the death of the former two's wife and mother, as well as Minato himself.
- Subverted, in that Naruto states that he'll be facing punishment from the Leaf Village for his crimes.
- Emergency Transformation: Madara replaced the crushed half of Obito's body with the plant matter grown from the First Hokage's cells.
- Establishing Character Moment: For his Tobi persona, his appearance at the end of the Rescue Gaara arc showcases his irreverence, goofiness, and general lack of skills. Which is exactly what he wanted people to think of him.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He is repulsed by Kabuto's Edo Tensei spell, though this may more or less be because a large part of his plan hinged on the world believing he was Madara Uchiha and immortal. Proving Madara was actually dead would have probably forced him into using a backup plan.
- Evil Albino: After becoming the Ten Tails's Jinchuuriki he gets inhumanly pale skin.
- Evil Counterpart:
- His personality was originally not dissimilar to Naruto's, he even wanted to be Hokage at one point. He himself has noted the similarities, though he presumes Naruto will end up like him in the end. He even tries to pull a Break the Cutie to show him how horrible the real world is, and accelerate the process.
- He's also one for Kakashi given their past history together, similar (superficial) trickster personality traits, and the same Sharingan abilities. Chapter 655 has Kakashi explicitly admit that he could have very well sunken into the same mindset of despair and hopelessness that Obito did after Rin died, but it was the fact that Obito entrusted him with his eye and indirectly, Obito's hopes for a better world for Rin, that made him keep going.
- Evil Costume Switch: Subverted in that he originally kept the same outfit after being revealed as the Big Bad. Played straight when he replaces his old mask with one that resembles the Ten-Tailed Beast's single eye. Also, he now wears the same robes and holds the same giant "fan" (actually a gunbai) that Madara Uchiha wore in the latter flashbacks, as opposed to his old Akatsuki uniform.
- Evil Former Friend: To Kakashi.
- Evil Genius: Where to start?
- This is taken Up to Eleven when you realize that he started the genin killing graduation in Kiri, he basically made kids kill each other to get back at what only a few adults did. Man, what a Hypocrite.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Taken Up to Eleven by Neil Kaplan in the dub.
- Expy: Forcing an Assimilation Plot to be reunited with someone he loves? Sees himself in the protagonist of the series? Sounds like a ninja version of Gendo Ikari.
- The Faceless: We've only been able to see a small part of his right eye and there are numerous wrinkles around it. He probably does look very aged. Or tired. Chapter 599 reveals that the supposed wrinkles are actually scars.
- Fallen Hero: Big time, and deconstructed for all it's worth in his Villainous Breakdown.
- For Want of a Nail: While clashing with Naruto's team all-out attack, Obito finds himself imagining how would his life have turned out if he decided to return to Konoha instead of joining Madara's plan. It's pretty sad to read to say the least.
- During the fight between Deidara and Sasuke, he acts all goofy as usual until he gets away from the fight and mentally explains Deidara's C4 technique in all its details for the readers. It's the first clear hint of his Obfuscating Stupidity.
- There's also a case of foreshadowing by absence. He is never shown using the Mangekyou Sharingan, presumably because his eye doesn't have Madara's distinctive design, which in retrospect, was probably the strongest clue that he isn't actually Madara... along the fact Zetsu kept calling him Tobi even after he started to claim he was Madara.
- When he partially reveals his face to Sasuke to expose his Sharingan, you see it looks wrinkled, so you assume he's an old man. You would be wrong. Those are actually the scars from where Obito's skin streched and deformed from the boulders smashing half his face.
- Tobi's remark to Sasuke in Chapter 397 about understanding how confusing it is when "some weirdo takes you in and starts saying shocking things" suddenly makes sense when you realize that his second encounter with Sasuke paralleled how he met Madara.
- In the same scene, he somehow survives being set afire by an Amaterasu trap set by Itachi. He reflects that is was a good thing he kept some secrets from Itachi. That secret being Izanagi.
- In chapter 552, Itachi reminded Naruto not to bear the weight of peace all by himself, or else he would become like "Madara". After it revealed that he was actually Naruto's parallel in Team Minato it suddenly makes a lot of sense.
- When Naruto and Bee confront Tobi, he tries to persuade them to accept the Moon Eye Plan by stating that anyone with a tailed beast sealed in them faces a life of despair. His witnessing Rin's suicide due to having a tailed beast forced upon her led to the entire fiasco.
- A blink and you'll miss it moment basically foreshadows who he is. Early in Shippuden Kakashi used Kamui on Deidara and it took off the man's arm. Tobi shows up with the arm but we don't see how or where he got it. Then we learn that Tobi can make himself intangible using some kind of ability related to his Sharingan. Of course he'd have Deidara's arm, he can go to the world Kakashi sends stuff in when he uses Kamui because he's Obito, who has the other Sharingan, a fact that is also foreshadowed when Tobi tells Kakashi Kamui would not work on him.
- Freudian Excuse: Rin's death and Kakashi's failure made him realize how brutal the world is, making him believe that the reality he lives in cannot be real and only his Assimilation Plot can save humanity and repair the emptiness left by deceased ones.
- The further one digs in his character, the more insane and in denial he is revealed to be. He denies Rin's Heroic Sacrifice on the basis that holding her real memories, INCLUDING the fact that Kakashi had intended every bit to keep his promise to protect her, would only bring himself pain whereas an ideal Rin who lived can end his sorrows; he insanely believes everyone will feel the same way once his plan succeeds.
- Friendship Denial: Sakura has only ever known him as the enemy, though accepts him as an ally and personally thanks him for saving Naruto's life. Obito tells her to keep thinking of him as an enemy.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Obito Uchiha was a joke who only managed to activate his Sharingan minutes before his death. Tobi, conversely, is a Kage level threat who can take on Naruto, B, Kakashi, and Guy all at once.
- Fusion Dance: With Memna in Road To Ninja.
- The Spiral Zetsu does this with Obito in the main series.
- Generation Xerox: Invoked on him by Madara. Even if he doesn't like Madara, he ends up inheriting his ideals and vision regardless. He also tries to turn Sasuke into a Generation Xerox of himself.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Rin's death and Kakashi's obsession with his regrets and shame broke him utterly.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: What tends to happen when you have a boulder smash half your head.
- Green Thumb: He can use Wood Style.
- Hairstyle Inertia: Although his hair grew out during his time in Madara's cave of evil, he trims it back to the style he had as Obito, making his true identity even more obvious.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: A rare vertical example, as the entire right side of his body was smashed by the boulder and replaced with tissue taken from a prototype "Spiral" Zetsu. The tissue took time to mature and strengthen, which was evident when Obito tried to punch out a solid stone wall, only to smash his new arm into putty.
- Half Truth: It's pretty obvious he's withholding more than he's claiming.
- Heart Trauma: He claims to have removed his heart, because all it could feel was pain. He also claims that he no longer feels pain, and plans to fill the hole left behind with an illusory world where Rin is still alive. It's later revealed this was not the case, as Kakashi fatally impales him through the chest.
- Handshake Refusal: Don't let your guard down and shake Obito by the hand. Naruto and Madara both discovered this the hard way.
- The Heavy: He's Obito. So he was responsible for Kakashi's Sharingan, and his personality. He was responsible for the Nine-Tails attack on Konoha and therefore the deaths of Naruto's mother and father, as well as Naruto's life as a Jinchuriki. Then he participated in the Uchiha Clan Massacre, causing Sasuke's Start of Darkness, and he threw Kirigakure to hell by controlling the Fourth Mizukage. He's the leader of Akatsuki, and is responsible for indirectly causing a ton of other problems, like determining the damage done on Orochimaru's invasion of Konoha because he killed Minato, who could've stopped him. Obito's "death" was a huge catalyst.
- Heel-Face Turn: Defied when Naruto offered him the chance... Turns into a Redemption Rejection before he faces complete defeat.
- Horned Humanoid: Gains a pair of horns after asserting control over the Ten-Tails.
- Hero Killer: He's responsible for the deaths of Naruto's parents, Danzo's bodyguards, Konan, Neji, and a large number of allied ninja troops. By claiming Madara's name as an alias, he gains enough clout to force the entire Ninja World into the Fourth World War.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: Uses his Sharingan to pull this on Kurama and force it to attack Konoha. Later, he becomes the jinchuriki of the Ten Tails but cannot control its power, resulting in its will tearing his psyche apart until he focuses on his love for Rin and subdues it.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Apparently he didn't learn anything from the "rasengan meets mask" incident and sucked Kakashi into his alternate dimension—only for him to repeatedly pummel any part of him that materialized within it.
- After being mortally wounded by a Raikiri Kunai by Kakashi, Madara turns the White Zetsu attachments grafted onto Obito's body black and controls him.
- Which goes on to backfire on Madara when Obito resists his control and becomes the Ten Tailed Beast's jinchuriki.
- Hope Crusher: He believes that reality is hell and "There is no such thing as hope", and given that he perceives Naruto as a younger version of himself, tries to prove his point by pushing Naruto across the Despair Event Horizon. It's his way of trying to convince Naruto that his plan is the right thing for humanity. This is how he was convinced by Madara.
- Humanoid Abomination: Obito becomes one when he becomes the Jinchuuriki of the Ten Tailed Beast, with the artificial half of his body becoming covered in scales. Until he gets its power under control, he even goes through Body Horror.
- Humans Are Bastards: Believes that the Crapsack World he lives in inevitably turns all ninja into "trash", himself included. It's part of why he wants to complete an Assimilation Plot.
- Humiliation Conga: He's gone from the most powerful being in the Narutoverse since the Rikudo Sennin, to a Person Puppet for Black Zetsu after getting mentally kicked in the balls by Naruto, all the Tailed Beasts extracted from him, and when he tries to atone Black Zetsu takes him over and forces him to resurrect Madara. THEN Black Zetsu does the aforementioned Person Puppet on him to draw out his suffering since he's dying. THEN Madara extracts the Gedo Mazo from him leaving him in even worse shape and barely able to stop Black Zetsu from taking the other Rinnegan.
- Hyper Space Arsenal: He stores many weapons in his Kamui dimension such as Fuma Shuriken, and a massive chain and stake combo for pinning down and restraining the Tailed Beasts.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: what he did to Mist's ANBU. By the time he's done, their corpses are raining blood!
- Implacable Man: Losing half of his body at age 13 only slowed him. So far he has been: struck with a fully powered Rasengan from the Fourth Hokage, poisoned with microscopic insects, set on eternal fire from Itachi, hit by 600 billion bombs from Konan blowing up at his face, pierced in the heart by a Raikiri enhanced kunai from Kakashi, taken over by his Evil Mentor through the plant side and cut from shoulder to waist by the revived Fourth Hokage a second later. Once he becomes the Ten-Tails' jinchuuriki this gets taken Up to Eleven as he takes a dozen mountain size gate seals from the First Hokage (a.k.a. the God of Shinobi) dropped at his head at supersonic velocity before blowing them up with just raw strength.
- Not even the might of the Jubi ripping his mind apart gave him pause, he subdued it by the clinging to his love of Rin and the desire to recover his former team. Bonus points for doing it with his own willpower in a few minutes when it took Naruto months with help from his parents to subdue a weaker Bijuu.
- In the Blood: Despite easily being the most decent of all the Uchiha in the series, not even Obito was immune to the clan's most fatal flaw: their ability to love more deeply than anyone else. If anything, it was worse for him seeing as he was the most idealistic and emotional of all the Uchiha, and thus his sense of love was far deeper than usual. The Heroic Suicide of the love of his life for the sake of her village and what became of his best friend (a hero that can only make excuses before graves) drove him over the deep end and made him what he is today.
- Invincible Villain: So far most fights consists of him spamming Kamui with reckless abandon. When Konan attempts to exploit this, he uses Izanagi to survive at the cost of his left eye, that was covered up for some unknown reason. Through sheer force of will, he hijacks Madara's Rinne Tensei, and after becoming the Ten Tails' Jinchuriki, he's become a Physical God after crossing the Bishonen Line just after briefly becoming an Almighty Idiot.
- It's All About Me: Seems to be leaning towards this as well.
- Tobi's a notable case in that he was Obito, arguably the best of the Uchiha personality wise and, along with Shisui, one of the few who didn't suffer from this. However, Rin's death served as his Despair Event Horizon, and subsequently brought out all the Uchiha traits he used to lack, including this and the talent that Uchiha Clan ninja tend to have. Now, he claims he's completing his Assimilation Plot in order to create a better world but the truth is that he doesn't care about this world anymore, due to his apparent thought of Crap Sack World status, and thinks that everybody will be resurrected and happy in his dream world. What he most of all wants in the end is the chance to see his Rin again.
- Taken to extremes when it's showed he refuses to acknowledge Rin's sacrifice; he instead believes the ideal Rin should have survived.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Defied in 629. After Kakashi fails to take the shot on Obito, he insists that something of the man he used to be is still with him. Obito insists that he is incorrect.
- This continues until Kakashi finally comes to the conclusion that his friend as he knew was in fact dead.
- The Infiltration: A very odd inversion. He seems to have made up an alias (and alternate personality to boot) and infiltrated his own organization for, as far as we know, no particular reason.
- Instant Expert: Immediately after activating the Mangekyo, he uses it and his previously unseen Wood Style perfectly to slaughter a few dozen ninjas.
- It took him a couple of minutes to go from a mindless berserker to controlling the Ten-Tails power to the point of leaving a disintegration bomb in the stump of the Fourth Hokage's severed arm.
- I Reject Your Reality: Pretty much literally as he spoken word-for-word afetr witnessing Rin's death. He refuses to acknowledge a world in which Rin chose to sacrifice herself and Kakashi was unable to protect her, and chooses to believe the current world is fake. His main goal is to use Infinite Tsukuyomi to replace reality with a dream world where he can pretend Rin is still alive.
- Iron Butt Monkey: As Tobi, he was frequently blown up by Deidara's bombs. The same kind that he used to kill people and OHKO a Tailed Beast (Three-tails).
- Irony: His identity is one. If Kakashi had abandoned his comrades and completed his mission to destroy the bridge, Obito would have died. This would have given Naruto an actual childhood, made Nagato less crazy, made the Mist a better place, invited the possibility of Minato stopping the Uchiha Massacre, let the Moon's Eye Plan die with Madara, and prevented the Fourth Great Shinobi World War.
- Japanese Pronouns: Used boku in his debut, but once he dropped the act and became a more serious villain he started to use ore. Both are masculine pronouns, but ore has the implications of sounding more "arrogant", "mature" and "manly" compared to the boyish boku.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Kakashi eventually deduced the reason for his frustration in dealing with Naruto. Obito's Will of Fire had never actually burned out, and his actions and unwillingness to acknowledge this are causing him inner turmoil that was tearing him up inside. Obito starts to envision the way his life would have turned out if he had returned to Konoha when Rin died, rejoined his friends as allies, and even going so far as to imagine himself as Hokage, despite not consciously understanding why.
- Obito is truly an oddity within his own clan, in that, he never fully succumbed to his people's Curse of Hatred, a curse that dominates the fate of the Uchiha, their lives and their dooms. Part of him always cherished his Will of Fire, his comrades and his village. It truly awakens when he turns on Madara, and starts ripping the Ten Tails from his former-mentor.
- Just Between You and Me: It's like crack to him. Although apparently, explaining his plan to everyone was part of his plan...
- Just Toying with Them: Rather than using the Ten Tails to murder everyone outright, he chooses to kill them off gradually just to make them suffer the loss of their comrades and show them how horrible the real world is.
- Averted since becoming the Jinchuuriki of the Ten tails. It took him 4 seconds to ripe apart the defenses of the Ninja army and tear through the revived Hokages. Only because the Hokages are immortal zombies they survived. And then averted again after he manages to control its power and tries to desintegrate Minato, Sasuke and Naruto right away. He finally releases the Ten tails's true form and wipes out most of the Shinobi Alliance so he can complete the Eye of the Moon plan.
- Keet: Usually whenever he's around Deidara. He later drops the act.
- Kick the Dog: He's been kicking Naruto from day one.
- It's bad enough that he caused Neji's death. Spending half a chapter rubbing it in Naruto's face, however, firms it as a real kick in the gut.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Remember that he tore Kurama from Kushina and tried to finish her off while exhausted and defenseless? Remember when he killed Konan right after she had regained hope in Naruto's path? Remember when he let Kabuto use all those Edo Tensei zombies to fight their former friends against their will? Now he had seven Bijuu tore from his body and, while exhausted and defenseless, got hijacked as a puppet to revive Madara before being forced to fight his friends with no control over his body just as he was about to make amends for his sins sacrificing himself for Naruto. Karma is a bitch, huh? Obito?
- Lack of Empathy: He can be mistaken as this, but he would not care about the bad state of the world nor plan to bring back the people he killed once he creates his dream world, if it were true.
- Last of His Kind: He and Sasuke are now the only true living Uchiha left in the world, seeing as Madara is technically a zombie and therefore dead.
- Madara has forced Obito to resurrect him in his prime, leaving Obito slowly dying in agony. Sasuke is fairing no better, after being impaled right through the heart.
- Late Arrival Spoiler: The covert art to volume 68 of the manga shows him as a child, together with Kakashi and Rin, and the obi included with the Japanese edition refers to Obito by name when mentioning his defeat. Quite a spoiler for those still in the dark about Obito being alive, and the series' Big Bad to boot, even for Japanese fans. Volume 67's cover shows him as the Ten Tails' Jinchuriki, though he is facing away, so it's a bit less spoilerific.
- Legacy Character: Plays the role of Madara Uchiha at the real Madara Uchiha's request.
- Light Is Not Good: When he becomes the Ten Tails' Jinchuriki, he's clad all almost completely in white, which also becomes his skin and hair color.
- Lightning Bruiser: In addition to his Intangibility, Tobi has consistently tanked some of the worst injuries in the series and yet survived. He's also a One-Man Army who can keep up in speed with and fight Naruto, Bee, Guy and Kakashi on par at the same time.
- Up to Eleven when he becomes the Jinchuriki of the Ten-Tails. At this point, Obito has become the World's Strongest Man, with all 4 Hokages and Madara fearing him. Obito manages to easily withstand and break the Hokages' seal and then proceeds to destroy the First and Second Hokages with terrifying power and speed. Sure, they regenerate due to Edo Tensei, but damn.
- Loss of Identity: Deliberately tries to invoke this, presumably to forget his past.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Played straight, although, going by the "Road to Ninja" movie, his goal isn't to create an illusion, but to actually replace reality with it, so that everyone can be a winner, and more tragedies such as Rin's death over a pointless conflict would never come to happen again.
- Love Makes You Evil: The reason he's doing all this is because Kakashi failed to protect Rin, the woman Obito loved deeply and whose death made both men empty shells of their former selves. He doesn't blame Kakashi since War Is Hell and the world is constantly sinking into conflict; he decided to destroy a world where loved ones die and heroes fail so that he can replace it with a reality of love, winners and peace.
- Made Of Diamond: After Minato both shreds him with a Rasengan and stabs him in the gut, Tobi is still standing, and even casually chats for a bit. He also blocks a blow from Zabuza's sword with one arm.
- Magical Eye: Obviously, because he's a Uchiha, who possess the Sharingan. Overuse of the dōjutsu gradually deteriorates the user's eyesight to the point of blindness. Obito seems to be an exception to the rule, he's kept his nearly constantly active, and yet his eyesight hasn't suffered in the slightest. This is implied to be due to half his body being made of Senju Cells.
- Interestingly Kakashi, a non-Uchiha who has his left eye, has noted that he's starting to become short-sighted.
- The Man Behind the Man: He was the real leader of Akatsuki, and controlled the Fourth Mizukage for years.
- Manipulative Bastard: He may tell you the horrible truth, including his role in it, and still bend you to his will.
- Malevolent Masked Man: He's had quite a few masks, usually with a single eye-hole.
- White Mask of Doom: His latest, crafted to be extra-durable and resemble a fused Rinnegan and Sharingan and the Juubi's eye.
- More than Mind Control: A master of this.
Tobi: To control people's heart, you have to use the darkness within them. Nagato was just too easily influenced.
- Mr. Exposition: HE IS AN ENDLESS BARREL OF EXPOSITION.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In chapter 652, Naruto points out that deep down Obito regrets becoming a villain and wishes things had turned out differently.
- Mystical White Hair: After using Rinne Tensei his hair turns white and stays white as the Ten Tails's Jinchuuriki.
- Necessarily Evil: He thinks that the alternative to his plan would be even worse, given the ongoing pointless child-killing warfare of the world he lives in.
- Intangibility: He is able to become intangible by using the same space/time manipulation he uses to teleport. The primary weaknesses are that he cannot attack while intangible, he cannot be intangible while teleporting himself or others (and the more he tries to teleport the longer it takes), and he can only stay intangible for five minutes in a row. After becoming the Ten-Tails Jinchuuriki, he states that he can no longer use this ability.
- Super Toughness: Easily blocked a huge sword with his arm with no damage. Also, after Minato manages to blast him with a Rasengan and immediately stab him in the torso, Tobi while injured doesn't seem too bothered by it and even chats for a bit.
- Up to Eleven once he becomes the Ten-Tails Jinchuuriki, he can tank attacks from the guy who beat Madara like they were nothing.
- Spare Body Parts: Can easily replace body parts lost in battle.
- No, Except Yes: He denies starting the war because of what happened to Rin and proceeds to explain how he started the war because of what happened to Rin. His goal is to bring down the entire ninja world, having determined that the world is fake because a world where Rin is dead, and where things like her death happen, can't possibly be real.
- No One Should Survive That:
- Anywhere between Sasuke (unintentionally) setting him ablaze with the Amaterasu that Itachi sealed inside him, Konan's attempt to kill him with 600 billion explosive tags (which technically worked), etc.
- Far before becoming Tobi, Obito shouldn't have survived a boulder crushing the entire right half of his body at 13 years old.
- If a tailed beast is removed from its body, the Jinchuriki will die. Only rare instances where the host has enough stamina will they live afterwards. Obito shows how insanely resilient he is, after surviving having the immense chakra of all the beasts being ripped and extracted out of him. Understandably, he's exhausted and being forced to perform Rinne Tensei a second time leaves him on the brink of death.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Initially seems like a somewhat goofy member of Akatsuki, but fans knew something was up when a sword slash passes right through him and he survives a massive explosion. In his true persona he is an extremely ruthless, competent and determined enemy.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's unknown why he made himself act like a goofball if half of Akatsuki's already bought into his impersonation of Madara. It's probable he simply enjoys playing silly.
- Oh Crap:
- Inverted, and it's like meth to him. He seems to delight in messing with peoples mind in the most funny way possible- just ask Konan.
- Still, he's susceptible to it himself. After all, apparently Kabuto has known all along that this Madara... isn't the real one. He finally reveals that to the world by summoning the original Madara to the battlefield with Edo Tensei. The mere existence of this knowledge scared Tobi into letting Kabuto join up.
- Definitely has this when Itachi's release of Edo Tensei has taken away his Six Paths Technique. Time will tell if it lasts though.
- In Chapter 598 / Episode 343, Naruto manages to DESTROY HIS MASK! The only word he even utters is "Shit!".
- One-Man Army: See Power Parasite.
- Also, after witnessing Rin's death at Kakashi's hands, Obito goes berserk and proceeds to massacre an entire squad of enemy ninjas using his intangibility and Wood Release. He was 14 years old.
- One-Winged Angel: As of Chapter 638 by becoming Juubi's Jinchuuriki. He's still human like, but has scales all over his body.
- Chapter 640 sees him suppress the Ten-Tails and assume an even stronger form resembling the Sage of Six Paths.
- Paper Fan of Doom: He carries a large and apparently quite heavy fan which turns out to be the same one Madara used in his time.
- Personality Powers: A very creative example. Obito hates reality and wants to escape it by creating a dream world. His powers allow him to literally do so by teleporting all or part of his body (as well as other people) to an alternate dimension.
- The Pessimist: "This world is completely worthless... there is nothing left in it but misery." He thinks he is living in a Crapsack World (with a fair amount of justification, it must be said) and resents how This Is Reality is in effect with regards to heroes, ie. that very often heroes actually fail. As such, he thinks the only place heroes and dreams can truly exist is in a dream world, and he intends to create just that, even if he has to enact an Assimilation Plot to do it. Basically, he isn't a nihilist, given his idealism. He just thinks that the world he lives in is a nihilistic mess, and has an unusual approach regarding how to improve it.
- Pet the Dog: He tells Kakashi that he shouldn't feel guilty that he couldn't keep his promise to him, and that it's not Kakashi's fault that he became what he did. Instead, Obito says that it was the world they live in that made him how he is.
- Physical God: After becoming the Juubi's jinchuuriki his power is so great that the four revived Hokages, who are not only the strongest of their time (Hashirama alone could suppress Kurama and beat Madara at the same time) but now nigh unkillable zombies, fear their combined power won't be enough to handle him. Considering it took him some 4 seconds to annihilate all their barriers and rip apart the First and the Second, their fear is quite justified.
- Plant Person: The right half of his body is composed of Zetsu's cells.
- Playing with Fire: Uses a number of fire techniques in the later part of the story. Also revealed retroactively, as he used Fire Release as Obito.
- Power Nullifier: He and Kakashi can No Sell each other's Kamui. As the host of the Ten-Tails, his attacks are not only extremely destructive, but he can cancel the effects of any ninjutsu used on him, and his attacks do the same to anything they connect with. This leaves even Edo Tensei zombies vulnerable to his power. He cannot, however, negate attacks done in Sage Mode, which allows Naruto to score a hit.
- The Power of Love: His love for Rin is powerful enough to make even the Juubi submit to his will.
- Chekhov's Gun: It was established during Naruto's fight with Kurama that love could overcome a Tailed Beast's attempt to take over the host's mind. Meeting his mother for the first time suppressed his former hatred of Konoha that Kurama was trying to manipulate.
- Power Parasite: Up to Eleven. Just by stealing the Rinnegan from Nagato, Tobi's gained the Six Paths of Pain (whom he's replaced with the six deceased Jinchuriki) and controls the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path. Furthermore, in addition to his own Sharingan, he's obtained Senju DNA, allowing him access to Wood Style.
- Pragmatic Villainy: One of the few in the series. He's extremely good about avoiding pointless and/or unnecessarily risky fights. In addition he's fairly nice to his subordinates (as long as they don't betray him) and will help them out when they're in a jam. Not so much because he particularly cares about them, but because he values loyalty and there's simply no advantage in having your subordinates hate you. It's also notable that he seldom tries to force anyone to do anything and usually just talks people into doing what he wants. Doesn't prevent him from Complexity Addiction though. Also quite ruthless and fond of taking hostages, threatening children, and Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Type B. Depending on the viewpoint, his goal is either childish or overly idealistic: He wants to replace reality with a dream where everyone can be happy and the good guys always win. The psychopathic part comes from the fact that he is willing to kill lots of people to accomplish this, as he reasons that they will be resurrected anyway once he accomplishes his goal.
- Psychotic Smirk: He sports one of these after his mask is shattered, and Kakashi asks if he truly is Obito, pointing out that he no longer considers himself to be "anyone" but they are free to call him by that name if they wish.
- Puzzle Boss: Certainly takes this place in the story. Ever since he survived Sasuke's attack and Deidara's C4. Everyone tried to figure out his powers and weaknesses. Kakashi is the first out to fully figure out his powers since he has the same sharingan. Like most Puzzle Bosses, he turns into Anti-Climax Boss after his powers are figured out. Until he stopped holding back and used the other powers that he has and gave everyone a run for their money.
- Reality Ensues: His main motivation for everything. Turns out that living in a world where villages take young girls and drive them to suicide by turning them into living weapons of mass destruction is kind of hard to take for a man who gave his life trying to protect one of said girls.
- Reality Warper: He can use Izanagi to cheat death for a much longer period than Danzo.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Konan, after she turns on him for Naruto and decides to kill him, fighting for the new hope.
Tobi: There is no peace! There can be no hope! Nagato only believed in Naruto to try to comfort his own pitiful existence!
- Also gives a brutal one to his former sensei Minato during the war.
Minato: Obito, wasn't your dream to become Hokage? What led you to this!?
Tobi: We're way past the point of lectures, wouldn't you agree sensei? When it came to life-changing events, you were always a step behind.
Tobi: Despite being my master, you failed to recognize your own pupil... you've always had that oblivious nature about you, from the moment I met you. I can't help but pity you... the hallowed martyr... shamed in front of his living son.
- Redemption Rejection: When in Obito's mindscape, Naruto tries to "Talk no Jutsu" him into performing a Heel-Face Turn. Obito resists, but eventually reaches out to Naruto's extended hand... and starts throttling him. In Chapter 665, however, he finally accepts it.
- Red Herring: There were theories and degrees of evidence that he was everyone from Danzo to Obito and several others. Eventually he was revealed to be Uchiha Madara, but even then about half the fandom argued that this was yet another ruse. They were right, but it's a testament to the writing that so many disagreed or couldn't decide either way. Tobi himself claims to be "no one" and that he doesn't care about his own identity, but he does seem to care about concealing his face...
- The Reveal: He's not Madara Uchiha. He's actually Obito Uchiha.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After witnessing Rin being killed by Kakashi, Obito loses it and proceeds to murder every single Mist ninja that comes to attack him. This was (probably) his main Start of Darkness into becoming Tobi.
- Sempai Kohai: Considers himself the kohai of Deidara and Kisame. Even though he's really the sempai.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: When Kakashi asks Obito why he's doing this, Obito responds by telling him to shut up and tries to kill him.
- Significant Anagram: Tobi is very similar to his actual name, Obito. You could think of the English spelling to be something like 'Toobi' in that regard or his original name to be Obit, with the extra 'o' at the end stemming from the tendency for Japanese pronunciations to end in vowels regardless.
- It should also be noted that when both Tobi and Obito are written kanji, they are written in the same two characters, simply switched. It was that obvious.
- Tobi can also mean Ten-Tailed, which goes a long way foreshadowing his eventual transformation into the Ten-Tails Jinchuuriki.
- Space Master: Kamui, his Mangekyo Sharingan techique, allows him to teleport himself and others into an other dimension.
- Spanner in the Works: Its like cocaine to him. Massively screws up Itachi's postmortem plans for Sasuke by telling him things he was probably better off not knowing. He becomes this to the original Madara as well; when Madara attempted to sacrifice Obito to become the Ten-Tails' jinchuuriki, Obito screws up his mentor's Evil Plan by sealing the Ten-Tails into himself instead.
- Staff of Authority: After taking control of the Ten Tails he forms a khakkhara out of its chakra.
- Street Urchin: Obito is an orphan. He grew up not knowing who his parents were, leaving him alone and forced to fend for himself. This sad childhood led Obito to dream of one day becoming Hokage, so that everyone would acknowledge his existence.
- Subverted Innocence: Let's just say that, in real world terms, people idealistic, kindhearted, and clearsighted enough to perceive all the horrible parts of the world and wishing for a kinder, more just, and utopian world (which is a perfectly valid viewpoint), do not tend to be mass-murdering baby-killers. They tend to be among the genuinely nicest of humanity.
- Superpower Lottery: He really won the jackpot. Not only is he an Uchiha, his Kamui is incredibly powerful, and the main reason he went from pushover to Kage level in a just a few years. More to the point it apparently has no precedent at all, so it might well be the rarest ability in the series.
- Super Strength: He snapped an arm off of its shoulder with just the grip of his fingers, and blocked a giant ass sword with his forearm.
- The Svengali: To Sasuke, manipulating him in order to be an asset to his plan and eliminating enemies for him.
- Take Up My Sword: A villainous example. After saving him, an elderly Madara passed his knowledge, identity, and plan on to Obito. Subverted in that part of the plan was to eventually revive Madara, so this was meant to be temporary.
- Teens Are Monsters: He's the same age as Kakashi, which means he was in his teens when he first attacked Konoha and formed Akatsuki.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Tobi and Kabuto and Madara may need each other but that does not mean they like it. Madara thinks that Obito is being too impatient with the Moon-Eye Plan and wants to wipe out the Shinobi Alliance first to make sure they are not a bother. Obito thinks Madara is too immature to wield such power and this is just an excuse for him to test out the Juubi's powers like a child with a new toy. Then there's also the matter of Madara needing Obito to sacrifice himself using Rinne Tensei in order to revive him, which Obito isn't exactly thrilled about.
- Teleportation: He can teleport himself anywhere he wants, and can teleport others into an alternate dimension that seems to exist within his Sharingan.
- That Man Is Dead: Even after his true identity as Obito is revealed he still claims that he's "No One."
- Subverted in Chapter 665, where he declares he is not Madara, but rather Obito Uchiha.
- Took a Level in Badass: Up to Eleven! Tobi used to be Obito. The guy who was always in everyone's shadow. Was Always Second Best to everyone, and was basically the Dead Last to all of Konoha. But after becoming Tobi he can fight on par with Minato, control the Kyuubi, learned how to warp reality, and effortlessly manipulates people like Nagato, Itachi and the whole freaking Ninja World like they're his puppets! DAMN! Being evil really ups the IQ points. And the badass points.
- Torso with a View: Intentionally has Kakashi pierce his chest in chapter 629 to show his Heart Trauma and keeps it afterwards.
- Subverted in chapter 636 when the previous holes are proven to be an illusion and then played straight when Kakashi impales him with a Raikiri enhanced kunai.
- Total Party Kill: When it becomes clear that Naruto has figured out how to damage him in his jinchuriki form, he immediately defaults to setting up a barrier and a four-way tailed-beast bomb that will kill the entire alliance in one attack. Fortunately, Naruto and Minato teleported everyone out of the barrier at the last second. But then, he merely releases the Ten tails's true form, the World Tree, to consume everyone's chakra, this time mostly succeeding.
- Tragic Villain: Obito's fall took him through a huge deal of traumas that combined with his clan's curse caused him to become a deranged and insane terrorist who loathes the world. In his disillusioned new views, all he cares about is a world where the woman he loved is alive and his former ideals of heroism are the norm.
- This is shown while his soul was being ripped to pieces by the bijuu, which was represented by his gennin team photo being torn apart and being reconstructed when he regained his sanity. Even after all he has done and said, it seems his friend, his crush and his sensei are his reason to exist.
- Chapter 651 twists the knife even more where Obito has a vision of what his life would have been like if he didn't let his obsession consume his soul.
- Tranquil Fury: Has a not-so-subtle grudge towards Kakashi and isn't afraid to make it publicly known, but still manages to keep a lid on his bottled hate towards Kakashi because his act of murder was forced through circumstance, particulally Rin deciding to die by the hands of the man she loved for the sake of her village. His ire comes from the fact Kakashi insists on stirring his former ideals on him while he himself rejects them.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: When Obito witnessed Rin's death he went straight from having a two tomoe Sharingan to awakening his Mangekyo.
- The Trickster: Likes to act like this.
- Two-Faced: The incident in Kannabi Bridge left the right side of his face severely scarred, while the left side is untouched. The cave-in pressed down on his face hard enough to make the skin stretch to the point of tearing, which resulted in spiral-like strech marks where the skin scarred.
- The Unfettered: He will not back down from obtaining his goals and the world be damned. Murdering his entire family, his mentor and attacking his village and closest friend mean nothing. It is revealed that he plans to use Infinite Tsukuyomi with the power of the Ten-Tails to rewrite reality so that Rin is still alive.
- Unreliable Expositor: He delivers a lot of exposition, and quite a bit of it is suspect.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Did he ever. The Uchiha Clan curse hit him hard.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Either played straight or subverted. This is his genuine goal, but Naruto considered it egoistical to impose his views of peace on the world, while Tobi was defending his vision as the right thing for humanity. With the reveal, its pointed out he is doing things in self service while also considering it a benefit for humanity as a whole.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Naruto corners him in his own mind and confronts him with all his inner conflicts, Obito begins to hallucinate his past self on Naruto along with disturbing visions of his present self turning into his former comrades. This lets Naruto grab his hand and free the Bijuu from him.
- He admits that Rin was the light of his life, the only one he felt he could ever hope to emote or connect with; upon her tragic death, the world became a pitch-black hell to him.
- Villains Never Lie: Played straight most of the time, the rest it depends in how the manga evolves.
- Except when it comes to his identity and his ultimate goal, anyway...
- Villain Teleportation: Not that he makes very good use of it, but he can teleport if he wishes.
- Vocal Dissonance: He had a very deep voice when he was 14.
- Ultimately justified because of both the muffling and most likely voice-changing qualities of the Spiral Zetsu suit he wears.
- The anime seems to imply that he was simply imitating Madara's voice, as when Madara is revived he gets Tobi's previous voice actor and Obito gets his original "goofy" one (albeit using a much more serious voice). So this would indicate that the deep voice was just part of his Dead Person Impersonation of Madara.
- Walking Spoiler: You think you know everything about him? Keep reading the manga...
- Weak, but Skilled: Played with; while his space-time abilities make him one of the most poweful tactical fighters of the series, he only ever used two large scale ninjutsu whereas the rest of Akatsuki relied on several highly destructive techniques.
- It should be noted that his abilities to control several tailed beasts with his eyes makes up for his lack of personal firepower.
- Weaponized Teleportation
- What Measure Is a Mook?: Obito asks this question of Madara, who is proceeding to take both his Rinnegan and Yin-Kurama from Black Zetsu, effectively discarding the poor dying Uchiha like a used handkerchief. Madara confirms this. Obito proceeds to inform Madara he's not fit to lead or control anyone in the dream-world. For a true leader will allow others to step on his corpse, but he'll never step on his comrade's corpses.
- White Hair, Black Heart: After becoming the Ten-Tails's Jinchuriki.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Was this as a kid, and this trait is ultimately what caused him to eventually become the Big Bad. After very nearly dying and then witnessing one of his best friends, whom had promised to protect the woman he loved, kill said woman, he began wanting an entire world where it didn't happen so he could escape reality.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Like Naruto he never knew his parent, was scorned as a loser and hide behind the act of a happy-go-lucky idiot to escape his loneliness and pain as a child. However, once he was crippled and mutilated in a cave in and later witnessed the girl he loved and acted kindly to him being killed in a twisted war plot, he went completely insane discarding the world as a fake that he had to replace with the Moon Eye Plan. Combined with all the things he has endured after that, he ties with Nagato for Cosmic Plaything in this story.
- Worf Had The Flu: In the battle against Kakashi in the Kamui dimension, Obito is handily and relatively quickly defeated. However, he had quite a few disadvantages. Obito was exhausted from controlling the six jinchurikis and their tailed beasts, as well as his previous fights against Naruto, Bee, Kakashi and Guy; while Kakashi's energy had been rejuvenated three-times over by Kurama's chakra.
- World's Strongest Man: After becoming the Ten Tailed beast's Jinchuriki, all of the former Hokage, including the First, acknowledge that Obito has become stronger than any of them. Even Madara feels he has no choice but to use his trump card before Obito can stop him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Hit? He killed Konan with a pipe from behind, and that's not even getting into the details of the flashback when he killed Hiruzen's wife and then attempted to have the Nine tails kill Kushina, a mother weakened by pregnancy and maintaining the seal by mauling her to death. Thankfully, Minato showed up just in time.
- Would Hurt a Child: Hurt? He'd kill one, as seen when threatening to cut baby Naruto with a kunai; which is soon upped by attempting to blow him sky high with explosive tags!
- This continued into his Shadow Dictator reign of Kiri, where he made children kill each other to graduate.
- Xanatos Speed Chess /Gambit Roulette: While at first sight it would look like he planned everything that has happened in the series, he is in fact very accomplished in cutting his losses and creating new plans out of his ass as the situation demands. Hell, around 5% of the things happening now were in his plans and he is still at the top of the game. He was fairly miffed about Kabuto bringing the real Madara Uchiha onto the battlefield, as it forced him to drop his Dead Person Impersonation gambit, and even more miffed when Itachi ended Edo Tensei and he lost the jinchuriki. But apparently he had back-up plans for that anyway.
- Yandere: For Rin Nohara, to the point where he is willing to destroy reality to be with her.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Tobi will do it without a second thought if he deems it absolutely necessary or if he is betrayed. He does this with Akatsuki mainly because they simply keep dying left and right, except for Konan who he killed coldly in revenge, Itachi who was a terminaly ill Double Agent and Madara who he barely tolerates. He suffers from this from Madara, but averted it by becoming the Jinchuuriki of the Ten Tails.
- Following his defeat at the hands of the entire alliance, Madara simply pulls this on him again by having Black Zetsu ambush him and take control of his weakened body. However, rather than dying, Black Zetsu's possession keeps Obito alive after the use of Rinne Tensei brings Madara back and Obito is henceforth used as a mere combat puppet.
- Younger Than He Looks: When he was 14 he stood about as tall as Minato.
"Look at reality. The world won't go the way you want it to go."
Voiced By: Naoya Uchida
(JP), Neil Kaplan (EN, Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3)
One of the original founders of Konoha. Before the beginning of the series, during the "Clan wars", he was The Ace
of the Uchiha Clan, bitter enemies of the Senju. Both clans were used as main weapons by the Daimyos of the era. It got to the point that he had to take/ask for his brother's eyes
to be able to face Hashirama Senju, the greatest warrior of his era. In the end they decided to unite the two Clans into a single Village, creating the tradition "One Nation, one Village" and while at first all was good, he feared that the Senju would subjugate the Uchiha as its servant. This belief was poorly received by his Clan. They eventually sold him out, so that he could not break the peace between Clans and cast him out of Konoha forever. He returned years later commanding the Kyuubi with thirst for vengeance but was defeated by the First Hokage
, whose wife Uzumaki Mito later became the Kyuubi's first jinnchuuriki. Madara survived and disappeared for several decades, although as an elderly man he implanted his newly-awakened Rinnegan into Nagato and saved the life of Obito Uchiha, who had been mortally wounded by a cave-in.
After being resurrected with Edo Tensei, he proceeds to Curb-Stomp Battle
the Kages, and even manages to escape Edo Tensei's deactivation. He decides to stop playing around, and after finishing the curb stomping off panel, he crashes
Obito's fight with Naruto, Kakashi, Guy, and B. As this fight kept expanding to include pretty much all of the other characters, things escalated and, long story short, Madara was revived.
He then proceeds to kick everyone's ass
, which includes all Nine Tailed Beasts, Naruto, Sasuke, Hashirama, Tobirama,etc. After sealing away all nine beasts, in a matter of seconds, he then rids every obstacle in his path and becomes the new and current Jinchuriki of the Ten Tails.
His hobby was falconry.
Favorite phrase: "Armor-sleeved single hit". This refers to defeating someone with a single blow.
- A God I Am: His true goal of Mugen Tsukuyomi: With the most powerful chakra after taking away everyone else, he'll rule over everyone and 'force peace' onto them.
- Always Second Best: To the First Hokage, Hashirama Senju. But because him and Hasirama are on a completely different level when compared to others he brags about being second best!
- Admits to Gai that Gai's far better at taijutsu than he is and anyone he's ever fought.
- Antagonist Abilities:
- Sharingan Abilities:
- Mind Manipulation: Has extremely strong Genjutsu.
- Summon Magic: Not only can he summon Susanoo (as all Magekyo Sharingan users can), but he can also use his eye to summon Tailed Beasts whom he's enslaved.
- Rinnegan Abilities:
- Energy Absorption: He can use the Petra Path to absorb chakra.
- Gravity Master: He can use a powerful long-range version of Shinra Tensei called Rinbo: Hengoku, which is powerful enough to knock back all nine Tailed Beasts.
- From Hashirama:
- Healing Factor: Hashirama's cells bestow him with regenerative capabilities exceeding Tsunade's.
- People Puppets: He can control anyone with Zetsu cells in their bodies.
- Super Mode: He absorbed Hashirama's natural energy to activate Sage Mode.
- Other Abilities:
- Super Senses: He's considered one of the best sensor-type ninja.
- Damage Reduction: As a "zombie", he's practically impervious to all harm. Even resurrected, he is extremely durable and can regenerate.
- Ten Tails Jinchuriki:
- Antagonist in Mourning: Much of his appearances after his revival have him regretting Hashirama's death, as he feels that the current Kages cannot live up to his legacy.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Up to Eleven. In a series filled to the brim with Arrogant Kung Fu guys, he's the most arrogant of all. In fact he was once The Leader of a clan of particularly arrogant Kung Fu guys, and was kicked out for being too arrogant. It should be said that he easily lives up to it in terms of power.
- Attack Reflector: His war fan (see Paper Fan of Doom below) can be used to bounce back attacks, even ungodly powerful ones.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: When he led the Uchiha, and was the 2nd strongest shinobi in the First Great Ninja War after Harishima.
- Back from the Dead: Along with many of the deceased seen in the story. And then broke free of Kabuto's jutsu, giving Konoha yet another Uchiha headache to deal with. He later tried to force Obito to use the Rinne Tensei technique to fully resurrect himself and nearly succeeded, only for Minato to cut Obito down, reversing the resurrection, and Obito to seal the Ten Tails into himself. He later succeeds in forcing Obito to use Rinne Tensei on him via Black Zetsu.
- Possibly happened more than once, as Hashirama claims that he was completely sure he killed Madara at the end of their final battle, and he's not a man who exaggerates on the subject. Only time will tell.
- Badass: He is quite possibly the most powerful shinobi ever, barring the Sage, bordering on being an in-universe Memetic Badass. He combines several already powerful techniques (EMS, Rinnegan, Mokuton, Biju control, and four-armed, colossal Susanoo); even his name alone, used by Tobi, was enough to toss the world into panic. He considers anything less than all five Kages to be an "inadequate challenge", and that's before revealing he wasn't fighting seriously!
- He suggests that the only one who could stop him is the First Hokage, who is no longer alive. He doesn't bother reminding everyone that since he now has the Rinnegan and Hashirama's powers as well as now being an invincible zombie, even the First might not be able to stop him.
- When brought back to life, he made Hashirama AND Tobirama his bitch and then accessed a new dimension of power by becoming the Ten Tails Jinchuriki.
- His entrance into the anime is incredibly well-done, much more extended than the manga and it opens with him slaughtering the entire Shinobi Alliance. During that sequence, he uses only taijutsu, kenjutsu and his Sharingan. He is so much of a badass that when someone throws a kunai with an explosive tag on it, he catches it, tears the tag off and puts it on someone else and then throws the knife back at the person who threw it. That's pure boss-level badassery.
- Badass Baritone / Guttural Growler: Madara fulfills the former in the Japanese and English versions. Then Neil Kaplan had to be his dub voice and well... voices do not get much grittier.
- Badass Boast: Madara states The Kage are lucky that Hashirama wasn´t also brought back so they don´t have to redraw the maps "that much". In fact, the majority of what comes out of his mouth is this in spades.
- Badass Bookworm: Arrogant, but also an extremely intelligent and knowledgeable shinobi. He is the true originator of the Moon's Eye Plan and the creator of Zetsu. When Madara is revived and finally runs into Tobi, it's pretty clear that he's the one running the show.
- Handicapped Badass: Despite being revived blind, he's able to use his sensing to easily deal with Sasuke's attacks and gain Sage Mode from Hashirama. Naruto in Sage Mode couldn't even put up a fight at all, and that was before he got Hashirama's Sage Mode.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Everything in the series pointed to Madara as the Big Bad, until it's revealed that he was the unidentified corpse that was revived by Kabuto. Then we find out that he's still the guy ultimately responsible for Tobi and his plan, so he is still the Big Bad after all.
- Barbarian Longhair: This head of the Uchiha clan has long, unkempt hair.
- Berserk Button: As a kid, he hated it when people stood behind him as he urinated. Hashirama exploited this.
- Also, Hashirama, in general. In one flashback the mere mention of Hashirama's name enraged him.
- Better Than New: Kabuto comments that he used Edo Tensei to make him even stronger than when he was in his prime.
- Beyond the Impossible: He dies of old age but thanks to Kabuto, he is revived at a younger age, he pulls out very large Meteors out of thin air. He revives with his new body again despite dying of old age. He summons a Susanoo with no eyes. He even extracted the Bijuu in mere minutes despite it taking 9 members of Akatsuki, 3 days to complete. He proceeds to casually turn himself into the Ten-Tails jinchuuriki without even going through an Almighty Idiot phase like Obito.
- Big Brother Instinct: He threw away his friendship with Hashirama to protect his little brother. When he failed to do so, his guilt awakened special hate chakra in his brain that made him really evil.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: After being resurrected via Edo Tensei by Kabuto, Madara joins Obito on the battlefield against the Shinobi Alliance. Madara and Obito are, however, on equal standing as both have their own reasons for joining forces, and Obito isn't exactly acting like how a Dragon should.
- Blood Knight: Madara seems to enjoy a good fight, as seen when he considers anything less than fighting all five Kage an inadequate challenge. He allows the Kage to demonstrate their attacks, and delivers both praise for their strength (Onoki and A) and criticism for using their strongest attacks early (Mei). However, Madara does not allow this trait to get the best of him; when he decides to complete the Moon's Eye Plan, he immediately thrashes the Kage and goes off to find Naruto.
- After Gai releases the Eighth gate and Madara gets hit by the Evening Elephant, he just smiles and tells Gai to don't stop. He wants to have more fun
- Body Horror: He's got the First Hokage's face on his chest! In chapter 602 we get to see that he was able to live far beyond his supposed "death" at the Valley of the End by hooking himself up to a combination of the Gedo Mazo and what appears to be a gelatinous blob of the First Hokage's cells. This connection is represented by several pipe-like growths that protrude from his back and feed back into the statue.
- His Ten Tails Jinchuriki form looks like Obito's controlled form, only more perfected.
- Breaking Lecture: Gives one to Obito in Chapter 602.
- Came Back Strong: A villainous example. He was resurrected in a younger form, close to the prime of his life, but he kept the modifications that he made to his body (Mokuton, Hashirama's DNA, and the Rinnegan!) after he faked his death at the Valley of the End. Combined with the fact that he now has infinite energy reserves and an immortal body, he can now spam his Dangerous Forbidden Techniques without worrying about it affecting his stamina or lifespan. The only drawback is that his new body is still technically dead and can't be used as a host for the Ten-tailed Beast, meaning he can't actually enact his own plan on his own. He is then fully resurected in the flesh, which apparently let him use the full power of his modified body to give pause to nine tailed beasts combined. It is possible he is now actually stronger than Hashirama.
- Definitely stronger now that he became the Ten Tails Jinchuriki.
- Cassandra Truth: "The Senju will subjugate the Uchiha like a lowly servant". Guess what happened?
- Possibly overlaps with Self-Fulfilling Prophecy, given the implication that Madara's own betrayal may be what ultimately caused the rift that led to the Uchiha's subjugation to begin with.
- Turns out that this is played totally straight: He sensed the distrust around him by the newly formed village, especially by Tobirama, and even his own clan. While he took Hashirama's nomination as the First Hokage in stride, he dismissed the notion that he could ever succeed Hashirama as Hokage, accurately stating that it would likely go to Tobirama instead, and decided it was no longer worth it anymore, and decided to turn against Hashirama again.
- The Chessmaster: Moved the pieces into place prior to tasking Obito with implementing their plan. This included summoning the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path from the moon, producing the Zetsus, transplanting his Rinnegan eyes into Nagato, and imparting Obito with the knowledge needed to implement the plan.
- Childhood Friends: He used to be friends with Hashirama.
- Colony Drop: Can summon asteroids to flatten his opponents. Onoki stopped one just in time, but Madara simply called down a second.
- Combat Compliment: Seems to love issuing these.
- Combat Hand Fan: Uses a gunbai.
- The Comically Serious: Is. He. EVER. Fans have found his "Oh, well." to be his best yet; especially considering the circumstances and everything that was going on.
- The Stoic: He responds to just about everything post-resurrection with either dry wit or cold rebuttal.
- The Corrupter/Evil Mentor: He rescues Obito only to turn him into the Tobi we all know and loathe.
- Clipped Wing Angel: Madara resurrecting himself brings him back at full power, but because he gave away his Rinnegan eyes before he died the eyes granted to him by Edo Tensei crumble into ash. Even while blind he still manages to repeal Hashirama, Sasuke, and Naruto.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Absolutely loves powerful opponents capable of putting a heavy dent in him and returning the favour. Taken up to eleven with his reactions throughout tanking Might Gai's 8th Gate techniques.
- Crazy-Prepared: Madara thought of practically everything. First, he stole the First Hokage's cells during their duel and used them to to both gain the Rinnegan and Wood Release kekkei genkai and grow an army of Zetsu, and when he was old and dying passed his Rinnegan on to Nagato so that he could be resurrected with the Rinne Tensei technique once the Ten Tails was revived. He took the mortally wounded Obito Uchiha, named him his successor, and patched him up using Zetsu cells so that if something happened to botch Nagato resurrecting him and/or he was brought back with Edo Tensei, he could simply hijack Obito's Zetsu cells and force him to use Rinne Tensei to fully revive him when the time came to become the Ten Tails' junchuriki. Even when that backfired, his smirk and comment of "I failed, huh..." hinted towards a backup plan: have Black Zetsu hijack Tobi's attempt to use the Rinne Tensei in order to presumably revive the people he had killed and force his student to revive him instead. The only thing he didn't account for was his eyes crumbling to ashes following his total resurrection. And even that didn't prove to be much of a hindrance, since he still somehow became able to use Susanoo, a visual-based power, without eyes.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Aside from the flashbacks, this is the result whenever he gets into a fight. Regardless if it's the five kages, Tailed beasts, Hashirama, Tobirama and Naruto.
- The Cynic: He perceives the world as a dark place where there will always be winners and losers, and as being impossible to improve. However, he rejects the ultimate conclusion that nothing matters - if this world is hopeless, then he'll create a new one.
- Dance Battler: His taijutsu style. Possibly the reason why he refers to fights as "dances".
- Dark Messiah: He becomes the Ten Tails Jinchuriki and looks like the Sage did, only a LOT more menacing.
- Dead All Along: Downplayed; although he was dead by the start of the story, he lived long enough to have met both Nagato and Obito despite supposedly having died around 80 years previous.
- Despair Event Horizon: After spending most of his life in war, losing his siblings and never defeating Hashirama Senju, Madara finally lost all reason after discovering human conflict led to people stealing chakra from god and made the world only worse.
- Diabolus ex Machina: His power escalates through one of these after another.
- Discard and Draw: When he is finally revived for the sake of his plan, he loses his Edo Tensei immortality and the eyes recreated for him via the technique. However, he retains the ability to absorb chakra, in addition to stealing the Sage Mode of Hashirama Senju and gaining his high-speed regeneration, on top of the enhanced strength and speed provided by his modified body.
- Dissonant Serenity: Madara's chill even as his plan to become the Ten Tails' jinchuuriki temporarily goes down the dumper.
- The Dragon: With Nagato sealed away, Itachi breaking free, and Mu mere moments from being defeated, Kabuto brings him out as a trump card.
- Dragon-in-Chief: In the sense that he knew the hand signs to perform the Edo Tensei jutsu and, though Kabuto was defeated before finding this out, this meant that he could take control of his body at anytime he chose, and could even refuse to be un-summoned. In other words, he only let Kabuto think he was his Dragon.
- The Dreaded: Even decades after his death, his name alone is enough to make all the great villages ally against you. Tobi, aka Obito, takes advantage of this and pretty much goads the entire world into a war against himself.
- Energy Absorption: Using the Petra Path he can absorb an opponent's chakra. Even after being resurrected without his Rinnegan, he is able use the Senju cells within his body to drain Hashirama's senjutsu chakra and suck the Nine Tails chakra out of a number of Shinobi Alliance soldiers.
- Epic Fail: When Madara spots Hashirama he screams out his name with a Slasher Smile... and Hashirama tells him to shut up and wait his turn, rendering Madara speechless with a comedic expression stuck on his face.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He describes Edo Tensei as an atrocity the violates the sanctity of life and death. Of course, he was planing on being revived, just through a different method so his standards aren't that strong here.
- Evil Counterpart: One might examine Madara's character and find he is this to Itachi. Both were born into their clans as prodigies, both were in constant competition with their brothers and both were torn between their loyalties to their clan and their village. Their main difference is in their ideologies; both are extreme, but also polar opposites; Madara is a Blood Knight who believes war is inevitable, and Itachi is a Knight Templar who sought to avert war at any cost.
- They also differed in the choice they made. Madara chose the clan, Itachi chose the village. However, had Madara chosen differently, then Itachi wouldn't have had to make his choice and the clan would probably still be intact.
- Both also loved their younger brothers very deeply. In Chapter 619, the revived Hashirama claims that Madara loved his brother Izuna even more than Itachi loved Sasuke, and it's revealed that Izuna's death pushed Madara over the edge. The big difference between Madara and Itachi is that Itachi was able to keep Sasuke safe (physically anyway).
- Evil Former Friend: He and Hashirama Senju were friends as children, and the loss of that friendship was what caused Madara to first awaken his Sharingan. Even as an adult, Madara continued to acknowledge Hashirama as being the only person stronger than himself.
- Evil Gloating: Constantly brags about how superior he is to everyone else.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Kabuto brings him back with Edo Tensei for his own amusement. When Kabuto's defeat dispels Edo Tensei, Madara breaks free of his control and advises the Kages to chastise Kabuto for dabbling in forbidden techniques.
- Evil Is Petty: Although he was The Dreaded and Shrouded in Myth in backstory, he's is striking in several aspects once he makes his appearance; he is strikingly powerful, to the that point that Only the Author Can Save Them Now actually hits a Writer's Block... and yet, as a person beneath all that power and status, he's actually repulsive in a rather pathetic way. Madara is phenomenally self-centered and egotistical for a legend whose claim to fame is being Always Second Best to his rival Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage in Konoha's history; he reveals in a flashback that he was responsible for the poor diplomatic relations between Konoha and the Hidden Stone village when he sabotaged peace talks he was supposed to oversee purely to spite Hashirama's plan of making peace between the five great nations. He then dips into sexism during his posturing to try and intimidate the Kages, looking down on Tsunade for being a woman and repeatedly underestimating what she's capable of. When you realize the Assimilation Plot Naruto is racing to thwart was cooked up by a spiteful, sexist warmonger out of no greater ambitions than as an ego trip, it allows Madara to rather spectacularly avert Evil Is Cool.
- Evil Mentor: To Tobi/Obito.
- Evil Old Folks: When he was alive. Just look at him!◊
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan, Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, and Rinnegan.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Taken Up to Eleven by Neil Kaplan in the dub.
- Eviler than Thou: The Nine-Tailed Fox, self-proclaimed hatred incarnate, calls Madara's chakra evil.
- Expy: Teru Mikami from Death Note.
- Eye Scream: After Madara resurrects himself, his eyes crumble away leaving only empty sockets.
- Fallen Hero: He was once an idealistic shinobi that wanted to protect the ninja world and make sure that no one else would die. That love turned into hatred when Tobirama killed his little brother.
- Foe Romance Subtext: The Sharingan is awakened by the loss of a loved one. Madara's Sharingan was awakened when he ended his friendship with Hashirama.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: Shown in the anime where him running into the Shinobi Alliance forces opposing him sent dozens of them flying.
- Forgot About His Powers: He's got several dozen different abilities that would allow him to win against the entire Shinobi Alliance pretty much instantly, but he spends all his time focusing on using the orbs that he got from being the Ten-tails jinchuriku to the exclusion of every other ability.
- Founder of the Kingdom: Co-founded the Leaf with Hashirama Senju. This is almost universally forgotten or voluntarily ignored by Naruto's time, given he tried to destroy the Leaf after leaving it.
- To bring it home, he is the one who gave the village the name "The Village Hidden in the Leaf", and Hashirama even nominated him as Hokage.
- Game Face / Slasher Smile: Sports an epic one in 628 when he senses Hashirama's chakra.
- Genre Blindness: Leaving behind the Treasured Tools of the Sage of the Six Paths he spit out is probably going to bite him in the ass later, especially considering that, as the Ten-Tails' Jinchuurki, he now has more than enough chakra to easily wield them.
- The Gift: Was born with exceptional chakra even by the standards of the battle-oriented and highly gifted Uchiha Clan. Madara was the first to unlock the Mangekyo Sharingan and the only one (until Sasuke obtained it) to have the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan. He was also the first person since the Sage of Six Paths to awaken the Rinnegan.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: As a zombie, he could afford to let himself be hit and just instantly regenerate. Even as a human it doesn't matter, since he can get replacement parts from Zetsu. As the host of the Ten-Tails, his entire right side basically explodes and he regenerates it almost immediately.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: After failing to become Hokage, Madara dedicated his time to studying the Uchiha stone tablet and discovered that chakra was stolen from a god to stop human conflict but only made things worse. After concluding that mankind was cursed and any attempt at peace was futile, he decided to place humanity in a Lotus-Eater Machine to end all conflicts in the world.
- Green Thumb: Possesses the Mokuton via Kabuto's "modifications", though he also had access to it in his twilight years.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Madara's desire to protect Izuna caused him to discard his friendship with Hashirama, and his failure to do so consumed him with hatred for the Senju to the point where he said nothing short of Hashirama committing suicide or killing his own younger brother would change his opinion. Hashirama's willingness to take him up on the former convinces Madara to give their old friendship another shot... until he overhears Tobirama criticizing Hashirama's wish to make Madara the First Hokage and stating that the village - including the Uchiha - would never accept him, causing Madara to become a Blood Knight nihilist and attempt to annihilate the village with the Nine Tails.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Yes, really. When he was young, he considered himself a failure for having awakened the Sharingan, because it meant that he had failed in protecting those he loved. It's unclear if he still thinks the same as an adult or not.
- Hero Killer: He puts both Naruto and Sasuke on their deathbeds in just two chapters.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Every time someone gain an advantage over him, Madara finds a way to No Sell it.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: During his legendary fight with Hashirama Senju, his opponent seemingly killed him by sticking a sword into his back.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Had a truly massive one with the 1st Hokage. Much of the current conflict in the story can be traced back to his inability to accept being Always Second Best to him.
- Insane Troll Logic: Ok, so the newly founded village doesn't trust you, even after all you did for them (including name them). Your own clan stops trusting you because they see your dire warnings of them being wiped out as paranoia from a man who came second to Hashirama. So how to fix this? How about undermining everything Hashirama had done to create peace between the newly-formed villages, then try to kill him? That would definitely work out with no serious repercussions for your clan whatsoever.
- Though, to be fair, it's implied that Madara had pretty much stopped caring about his clan by the time he defected.
- Instant Armor: His Susano'o guards him from all attacks and he can spawn it at any moment, even if he doesn't have any eyes.
- His Susanoo's final form can function as this for a Tailed Beast. In his fight with Hashirama Senju, he used it for the Nine-Tailed Fox.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Using Hashirama's cells, Madara can summon a wood dragon with a Gonzo-like nose.
- Invincible Villain: Word of God confirms this. He was formerly literally this; not only is he a nigh-unkillable Edo zombie who happens to be perhaps the strongest ninja on the field, he actually hijacked the Edo Tensei itself so neither Kabuto nor anyone else is controlling him anymore, or can. Even after he revives himself by way of Obito, he's leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in the entire series.
- With Naruto and Sasuke, the only two capable of harming the previous Ten-Tails jinchuuriki, dying, Madara is completely invincible now that he became host to Ten Tails.
- No longer invincible. Gai almost kills him and Naruto and Sasuke got a power up from the Sage of Six Paths himself, to the point where Naruto in a permanent Biju Sage Mode can kick his Truth Seeking Balls *the near invincible Yin-Yang weaponry the Juubi Jin's get upon gaining the Juubi* away like its a soccer ball.
- Irony: Being an immortal zombie with endless chakra is what makes him truly invincible but it also prevents him from becoming the Juubi's jinchuriki and completing the Moon Eye Plan.
- It's All About Me: As per the usual for Uchihas. Which, considering he was once their Head and among the most influential in their history (founding Konoha alongside Hashirama) means he set the standard for them during the time of the Hidden Villages. First he was mad because his clan wanted to stop fighting the Senju clan, then he was mad because he didn't get to be Hokage, and then he was mad because he felt his clan didn't respect him enough.
- Of course, it doesn't help that Harashima, the person he respects most, enables his behavior by constantly sympathizing with him.
- Although it's revealed that he didn't mind not being Hokage if Hashirama took the position instead, what really made him leave was the fact that Tobirama would later inherit the position. He considers that his clan's inability to see what would happen to them under Tobirama's rule to be a case of Too Dumb to Live, so he gave up on them.
- Refused to stop fighting Hashirama to help the entire armed forces survive what looked like an absolute-kill attack and is offended that Hashirama considers saving them more important than fighting him again.
- I Was Quite a Looker: We have both seen him as a warrior in his prime◊ and as a withered husk of a man◊. He was resurrected in his more dashing form by Kabuto.
- Jerkass: Even before his Heel-Face Turn, Kurama claimed that Madara's chakra is more sinister than his own, and when he recognized Madara's presence in the war, he immediately pulled an Enemy Mine with Naruto. Uchiha Madara is pretty much the biggest dick in the entire series, and that says a lot.
- He refused to stop his fight with Hashirama despite them both being zombies anyway and Obito's about to obliterate everyone in the barrier and acts offended that Hashirama considers that to be more important than fighting him again.
- Constantly referring to the Bijuu as filthy beasts certainly qualifies. Remember that it's been established that all the Tailed Beasts have their own names and feelings; Madara keeps alluding that the Bijuu are nothing more than mindless monsters running around unsupervised and that they deserved to have a leash tied around their necks. What a jerk.
- The Juggernaut: To date, nothing the good guys have tried has even come close to slightly inconveniencing him.
- Just Toying with Them: As of his resurrection, he is easily the second strongest ninja of all time after the Sage. He could easily wipe out the five Kage, but just ends up playing with them until his enjoyment is ruined, after which he proceeds to Curb-Stomp Battle them off-panel and crash Obito's party. Afterwards, he continues playing or sitting around and is largely content to just watch as the Shinobi Alliance battles with Tobi and the Ten Tails, even though he could probably defeat everyone outright. He only gets serious when his plans are about to be disrupted, and even then, he is reluctant to interrupt his fun.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch/Eviler than Thou: Manipulating the Zetsu parts in Obito to make him do his bidding at the end of Chapter 636 certainly counts. Bonus points for Obito being beaten half dead by Kakashi, and even more bonus points for the technique that Madara's forcing him to use being a fatal one. It's hard to feel sorry for Obito for all the atrocities he's pulled.
- it does backfire initially when Obito decides to hijack the technique and become the Ten Tails' jinkuuriki. However, after losing the Tailed Beasts, he proceeds to perform the technique and properly revive himself.
- Knight of Cerebus: His arrival on the battlefield turns the table against the Alliance from a swift victory of hope to a losing Curb-Stomp Battle of despair. His complete revival quickly reverts all that the heroes fought to achieve and puts both of the protagonists at death's doorstep.
- Light Is Not Good: After he becomes the Ten Tails' new Jinchuriki, just like Obito, he's clad almost completely in white, and his skin and hair also turn this color.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Magical Eye: In addition to the Sharingan above he has the Eternal Magenkyou Sharingan. He also bears the Rinnegan and with it the powers of the Six Paths. They grant the following abilities...
- Made of Iron: Madara literally became a human ping-pong ball for the Tailed Beasts when he charged headfirst into the fray, was hit with some of the strongest attacks seen in the series (Five-Tails horn attack that wounded the Eight-Tails, Six-Tails' pool of acid, etc.) - each attack getting stronger since the One through Seven Tailed Beast hit him one after the other - which finally culminated in ALL the tailed beasts smashing through his Senjutsu powered Complete Susanoo with their respective tails, and the only thing they get for their trouble is a slightly battered Madara and a missing arm, which he quickly replaces. The whole time, Madara expresses disdain for him only expressing anger when Gaara and Shukaku nearly managing to seal him after Gaara turned him into a Person Puppet.
- Fridge Brilliance: Well he is relying on Hashirama's own insane regeneration there (equal to that of Byakugo no Jutsu from Tsunade), his chakra absorption (which never came into play) and possible his stolen Sage Mode. White Zetsu even calls him out on his recklessness.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Tobi and Nagato.
- Morality Pet: Izuna. Izuna's death is what turned him into the man he is today.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: His death was literally the first step of his Evil Plan to replace the real world with his Infinite Tsukuyomi, and thus setting the entire plot in motion.
- Nerves of Steel: To the point where Obito blowing his plan up in his face doesn´t even make him change expressions from his deadpan smirk.** When revived, he is mortal, alone, blind, and facing the entire alliance backed by the released bijuu.He simply states that he is going to hunt and capture all the bijuu by himself!
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: When he fought Naruto and later the Kages, Madara just kept on revealing one new ability after the other to No Sell everything they threw at him. Pitched to collide against a Rasen Shuriken? Activate the Rinnegan! Outnumbered five to one? Summon clones and have them use Susanoo! Faced with a barrage of elemental and disintegrating attacks? Summon a mountain busting Susanoo! The guy who summoned you got defeated? Break your contract and fight on with unlimited chakra! And the list goes on...
- Noble Demon: Well, at one point, he was certainly noble enough to bring an end to the Warring Clans era, and co-found Konoha with his most hated enemy, and former friend. But things changed...
- Not So Stoic: Only Hashirama could get a rise out of him.
- Oh Crap:
- What people say or express on their faces when facing him. Even the Tailed Beasts, the strongest beings in the series besides the Ten-Tails, are scared when they realize their attacks are not even slowing him down. Oh crap indeed...
- And Then Madara himself get a split second Oh Crap when Guy attacks with the 7th Gate.
- One-Man Army: To the point why you have to wonder why he even bothered to build the Zetsu army in the first place. This man is basically the equivalent of a space age armada versus a group of cavemen armed with sticks.
- One-Winged Angel: The absorption of the Juubi into the Ten-tails Jinchuriki and becoming the equivalent of the Sage of the Six Paths. As if he wasn't bad enough already.
- Opportunistic Bastard: Madara Uchiha had a plan and an actual claim to Chessmaster status before his resurrection. However, he was returned to life with a series of mishaps: his former apprentice having hijacked his old plan and him being revived by the dark Impure World Resurrection technique, and since then has been trying to improvise his way to victory. Madara proceeded to wait for an opportunity to break free of the caster's control before finding his apprentice Tobi had already revived the monstrous Ten-Tailed Beast. Madara immediately seizes control of it and manipulates Tobi until he can force him to revive Madara at cost of his own life. Even when the first attempt fails, Madara makes the resurrection of his former Arch-Enemy work to his advantage by draining his powers to bolster Madara's own to the point where he's even stronger when he fully revives.
- Paper Fan of Doom: That big thing on his back (see picture). Actually, not a paper fan. It's a type of Japanese war fan, more precisely a gunbai. They're usually made of wood or some other durable material. Obito kept it for him while maintaining his identity.
- Passing the Torch: Does not believe in this, as he sees will as something that cannot be inherited. Interestingly, his entire plan is based around avoiding this - while he leaves Tobi in charge and counts on Nagato's power, the final phase is to resurrect him so that he can finish what he started.
- Person of Mass Destruction: After his resurrection, explicitly deployed as one. He didn't disappoint, going to 3rd highest bodycount (after the multiplied White Zetsu and Pain) over just two chapters. Some time after that, he used his Susanoo to slice through an entire mountain range, ALONG with the giant meteorites he called down himself. In his legendary final battle with Hashirama Senju the two of them carved out the Valley of the End, and following his resurrection he states the Kage are lucky Hashirama wasn't revived as well so that the maps wouldn't need to be redrawn "too much".
- Physical God: When all combined shinobi and tailed beasts in the world can barely slow you down this trope is an understatement. He becomes this in full as the third jinchuriki of the Ten Tailed Beast.
- Then after he becomes the Sage of the Six Paths.
- Playing with Fire: He created the strongest Fire technique so far without any strain, as a form of greeting.
- Predecessor Villain: He was the First Hokage's most powerful enemy, and he tried to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village long before Naruto was born. However, he's also the villain behind everything in the present time.
- Pride: Big time. Uchiha in general don't have a reputation of humility, but Madara really takes the cake. When finally deciding to unleash his full Susanoo vs the five Kages, he takes the time to destroy a mountain range for no discernable reason other than showing off. He wasn't even aiming at the Kages.
- The Real Remington Steele: The reason he's such a Walking Spoiler.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Tsunade after he finds out she is Hashirama's descendant because she needed to use hand seals to heal herself, while hashirama's could do it at will, but he later rectified after seeing her Sōzō Saisei, comparing to be equal to hashirama. This didn't stop him from crushing her seconds later though.
- Also gave one to the Kyuubi in a flashback, and a more general one to the current Kages. He pretty much thinks that everyone other than himself and the 1st Hokage sucks.
- Gave one to Obito after he tried to kill him, pointing that he lacked will and commitment since he was so easily influenced by pretty words and that reality was still a brutal, dark hell covered in darkness. Bonus point because is the same type of speech Obito gave to konan before killing her.
- Red Herring: Tobi claimed he was Madara, and every clue pointed in that direction. Then Kabuto resurrected the real Madara, blowing away Tobi's facade.
- Reincarnation: Madara is the reincarnation of Indra, the Sage of Six Paths' eldest son.
- Retired Monster: In the many years between his disgraceful defeat at the hands of Hashirama and when he rescues Obito, time has worn away at whatever power Madara had once possessed. When Obito awakens to see him, he is a short, one-eyed, shriveled old man who relies on the Mazoku statue as a life support system to keep him alive, quite a whiplash from his previous appearance.
- The Rival: To Hashirama, during the Clan Wars. It went on after the Leaf's foundation, since he competed with him (and lost) to become the first Hokage.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He leaves the Ten-Tails to fight the shinobi forces, having decided to go fight the revived First Hokage.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Was trapped in a small chamber due to having to use the Gedo Mazo as a life support system.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: He has become jinchuuriki of the Ten Tails and thus, the third Sage of Six Paths.
- Shy Bladder: He can't pee whenever someone stands behind him, as Hashirama demonstrated when they were young.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon of choice, used as a cane in his old age.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: His response to the "Will of Fire".
Madara: "You can't defeat power with will."
- Slasher Smile: He sports one when he realizes that revived Hashirama is heading to the battlefield. He literally starts shaking with excitement; it's rather disconcerting to see the usually stoic Madara filled with psychotic glee.
- He does it again when he's revived from the dead.
- Smug Smiler: He sports one when Obito becomes the Ten-Tail Jinchuriki. He then gives another one when he's about to sic Black Zetsu on Obito to revive him, while pinned down by the technique that held the TEN-TAILS in place.
- Smug Super: Despite losing his eyes after coming back to life surrounded by enemies, he casually states that he's going after the tailed beasts and seems unconcerned about any of the Kage level fighters around him.
- The Stoic: His expression next to never changes, and he rarely says much more than "meh" in response to the brutalities occurring at his hands.
- Not So Stoic: During his childhood and in the early days of Konoha's existence after the war ended, during which which he has a Hair-Trigger Temper at any point where anything Hashirama does to intentionally unnerve him definitely puts him off...
- Story Breaker Power: To make a very very long story very very short, he has basically every power that Naruto, Sasuke, Pain and Hashirama ever had, all turned Up to Eleven. By his own admission, Kishimoto has no idea how to beat Madara at this point.
- Sunk Cost Fallacy: This played a big part of his argument against the cease-fire, in that it would render the sacrifices of countless Uchiha - including his own brother - moot.
- Superpower Lottery: The Rinnegan, Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, Wood release, unlimited chakra and an immortal body that regenerates to be precise. Even his regular fire techniques put most kekkei genkais to shame.
- He loses his immortality when he's revived, and by extension the unlimited chakra, but gains the ability to heal near instantaneously like Tsunade, can absorb chakra to replenish his levels, and can now use SAGE MODE. Besides that last bit, really, what's changed?
- The Svengali: Taught Obito everything he knew and named him as his successor, but intended to sacrifice him to resurrect himself.
- It should be noted that this wasn't his original plan. Obito was supposed to have Nagato revive him, but Nagato died and Madara was revived as a zombie, so he had to adapt to the circumstances...
- Talks like a Simile: Madara constantly makes dance references, and this is exceedingly common in Storm 3. With Neil Kaplan behind him as the voice, this is more badass than it sounds.
"Let's have another dance, shall we?"
"I'd like to try some more jutsu, but you look too tired to tango, Ōnoki."
"Seems you have a few dance moves left."
"How could you have danced this long?"
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Madara and Obito may need each other, but that does not mean they like it. Madara thinks that Obito is being too impatient with the Moon-Eye Plan and wants to wipe out the Shinobi Alliance first to make sure they are not a bother. Obito thinks Madara is too immature to wield such power and this is just an excuse for him to test out the Juubi's powers like a child with a new toy. There's also the matter of Madara needing Obito to sacrifice himself to use Rinne Tensei in order for him to fully revive and become the Juubi's jinchuriki, which Obito isn't exactly thrilled about.
- Thanatos Gambit: He accounted for his own death. His intent was to have Nagato resurrect him, but since Naruto foiled that, he gets brought back as a zombie instead.
- Then Let Me Be Evil: Even after Izuna's death, Madara was willing to cooperate with Hashirama to form the Hidden Leaf Village, to the point where Hashirama wanted to make him Hokage. Tobirama, however, stated that the Hokage should be decided by popular vote, and that Madara's candidacy would never be supported, seeing as how everyone saw Hashirama as the leader. Madara, who was overhearing this, came to the conclusion that there could never be true peace between the Senju and Uchiha, and it all went downhill from there...
- Theres No Kill Like Overkill: Attempted this with the Fourth Battalion. See Colony Drop.
- Trash Talk: Can pretty much always be found belittling his current opponents or pretty much whoever is nearby.
- His current topic of choice is how inferior he feels the current Kages are to him and the 1st Hokage.
- In a flashback he was shown do this to even the Nine Tails, telling him (more or less) that he's stupid and needs the Uchiha Clan to give him purpose.
- The Undead: After being brought back by Kabuto's Edo Tensei jutsu.
- Undying Loyalty: Deconstructed. He was fanatical loyal to the Uchihas, to the point of stealing/asking for his brothers' eyes so he could face Hashirama in their War. This extended to also fanatically fighting for the Uchiha dignity to the point of being banished from his Clan and the Village that he helped create. Needless to say, he didn't take the news well.
- Should be noted that most of this comes from a proven Unreliable Narrator, so it could all be bunk.
- Understatement: Only Madara can under-sell pretty much massacring the five Kage in that cool and bored demeanor of stating things:
Naruto: What happened to all the others!?!
Madara: Who knows. They're probably... not okay. *cut to shot of the Kage all lying in pools of their own blood*
Black and White Zetsu
Zetsu is a strange plant-like being created from the First Hokage's DNA that serves as Akatsuiki's spy, lookout, and corpse disposal
. He possesses Literal Split Personalities
that talk to each other, and was the only Akatsuki member who is never shown with a partner, because he can be his own partner. He can perfectly blend into the background (sometimes by use of a Venus flytrap thing). He is capable of recording events, such as Naruto and Sasuke's fight at the Valley of the End and Sasuke and Itachi's final battle, for others to view.
Zetsu knows Tobi's identity and status as the true leader of Akatsuki, and thus works closely with him. He showed ability to split his two sides apart, and had his white side lead Sasuke to the Kage summit while the black side stayed behind with Tobi. The white half interrupted meeting and revealed that Sasuke was in the building, after which the Raikage strangled him until he lost consciousness.
White Zetsu managed to escape the summit and healed the wounds Sasuke had received in his battles with Danzo, Kakashi and Naruto. Both halves appeared to be looking for Kisame's dead body, only to reveal that the body was just a White Zetsu clone, which was created so Kisame could infiltrate Kumogakure. During the Fourth Great Shinobi World War, Zetsu is the main source of Tobi's army. It is eventually discovered by Sakura that White Zetsu was created using the 1st Hokage's DNA. [[spoiler:Black Zetsu was defeated by Naruto and the Mizukage's squad while attempting to assassinate the daimyos, while White Zetsu was killed by Sasuke Uchiha in order to test out his Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan. During Tobi's flashback arc
, it is revealed that White Zetsu was one of numerous prototypes created by Madara Uchiha using Hashirama Senju's DNA and served as Obito's bodyguard during his recovery. One of these was a Spiral Zetsu with a quirkish personality and a face that inspired Tobi to don his spiral-patterned mask. The "main" Zetsu was one specifically chosen by Madara to contain his "will." Madara, just before he died, inserted his "will" into half of this Zetsu, forming the black half of his body.
His hobby is observing unique shinobi.
Favorite phrase: "Independence unbending" which means "The only one you can count on is yourself".
- Antagonist in Mourning: When Gaara shows up at the battle between Spiral Zetsu and the alliance carrying an unconscious Naruto, one of the White Zetsu clones seems upset about the fact that Naruto's dying.
- Apologetic Attacker: Black Zetsu tells Obito he's sorry since he has to fulfill the reason Madara Uchiha created him for, although he later berates him as being useless for going against Madara's plans.
- Artificial Human: One of an army of artificial soldiers created from the cells of the First Hokage.
- Blatant Lies: "Tobi is a good boy!"
- Chekhov's Skill: How Black Zetsu was able to get to the final battle field becomes important in chapter 664, when he uses the same ability to steal the other half of Kurama.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: White is more prone to bizarre thoughts and actions than Black, sometimes downright stupid, such as bursting into the meeting room of the five Kages to announce Sasuke broke in and giving away Taka's cover. Spiral Zetsu has a nagging curiosity for bowel movements out of wonder what such a function would be like if he had it. No Social Skills, indeed.
- The Dragon: To Tobi. He's been working with Tobi much longer than most of Akatsuki. Ironic, given Tobi's first appearance made him look like Zetsu's underling, but it possibly was to cover him. And also Co-Dragons with Pain and Kisame before their deaths.
- Black Zetsu To Madara Uchiha. He is the one who finally revives him.
- White Zetsu clones count as well. One did bring back his Rinnegan after all, as well as providing a spare arm...
- Energy Absorption: White Zetsu can drain chakra through physical contact.
- Enigmatic Minion: Until Tobi's flashback, nobody really knows what his deal is, except being one of the few that knows the truth about Tobi.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Black Zetsu.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Looks like plant seeds.
- Foreshadowing: White Zetsu's personality should've been an obvious foreshadowing to Hashirama's true personality as he is, after all, made from the man's cells.
- Fusion Dance: The White Zetsu can combine to create a hideous gigantic plant monster.
- Green Thumb: Can merge with the earth and even burrow underground, masking his chakra altogether and allowing him to tunnel around undetected at extreme speeds. This is of course all made possible out of Hashirama's Wood Style abilities.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: White Zetsu only has the left half of his body, possibly providing the right half of Obito's body. Chojuro cuts Black Zetsu in half during the War arc.
- Hive Mind: The White Zetsu all share one mind that they link through a system of underground roots; once linked they instantly share information with each other.
- Humanoid Abomination: A cannibalistic Man-Eating Plant who can move seamlessly within the earth, grass and trees and has black and white halves which differ in personality and which can split from each other physically, with the white half capable of making clones of himself in a process akin to a fungal parasite. Word of God implies he's probably not even human, considering that he's an artificial amalgamation of Hashirama's DNA and Madara's will.
- I'm a Humanitarian/Man-Eating Plant: Disposes of corpses by eating them. His favorite food is even listed as chewy people.
- Ironic Echo: "*insert name here* is a good boy" becomes this in chapter 603.
- Killed Off for Real: The original White Zetsu gets offed by Sasuke, though he still has plenty of clones running about.
- Me's a Crowd: Tobi creates an army of 100,000 white Zetsu's Parasite Clones.
- Mysterious Watcher: Subverted. Nobody knew who he was or what he wanted the first time he showed up in the series but it soon beame clear he belonged to Akatsuki.
- Non-Action Guy: White Zetsu's are not terribly powerful Mooks. Black Zetsu on the other hand...
- Off Model: In early anime episodes (and some in later ones, it seems to vary by who does animation) black half has orifices besides eyes. In the manga, black half never has had any of those.
- Plant Person: Was grown from Hashirama's cells and the Gedo Mazo statue.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Spiral Zetsu likens the sensation of killing someone to the relief of releasing your bowels; considering his obsession with it all his previous quirks now feel downright unnerving.
- Puppeteer Parasite: Black Zetsu, being the manifestation of Madara's will, is able to take control of someone's body that has Zetsu material in it. In chapter 657, he possesses Obito's near-dead body to fight Kakashi and Minato.
- Put on a Bus: Black Zetsu disappears for a while during the Fourth Shinobi World War.
- The Bus Came Back: In chapter 656, when the weakened Obito is about to use Rinne Tensei, doing the same thing that Nagato did and betraying Madara, Black Zetsu appears from the ground and forces him to revive Madara instead.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: The Zetsu's malleable plantlike flesh can act this way for him.
- Slasher Smile: Black Zetsu sports one after taking over Obito's body to fight Minato and Kakashi, while also managing to give the impression of More Teeth than the Osmond Family due to the way it's stitched up.
- Split Personality: Has black and white halves.
- Talking to Themself: White and Black Zetsu talk to each other and frequently argue.
- Those Two Bad Guys: In one body. Sorta.
- The Dark Chick: When Kabuto joins in and after Konan's defection.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can make himself into a perfect double of a person after absorbing their chakra.
A unique White Zetsu clone who seemingly inspired Obito's Tobi persona.
- Adaptive Armor: Functioned as such for Obito during his early days as Madara II.
- Artificial Human: One of an army of artificial soldiers created from the cells of the First Hokage.
- Badass Longcoat: The same type Obito wore prior to it being shredded.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Guruguru makes his return after Madara's revival by taking on the entire Alliance with a scaled down version of Hashirama's titanic statue, while still talking abou poo!
- The Blank: Guruguru has a hollow head with one hollow eye socket, yet it still manages to see through the link it shares with the other Zetsu.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Is obsessed with bowel movements, and his zany personality possibly inspired Obito's Tobi persona.
- Green Thumb: Can merge with the earth and even burrow underground, masking his chakra altogether and allowing him to tunnel around undetected at extreme speeds, and can function as a living suit of armour for a person. This is of course all made possible out of Hashirama's cells.
- Hive Mind: The White Zetsu all share one mind that they link through a system of underground roots; once linked they instantly share information with each other.
- Me's a Crowd: Madara created an army of 100,000 White Zetsu Clones, although Guruguru is unique.
- Plant Person: Was grown from Hashirama's cells and the Gedo Mazo statue.
- Replacement Goldfish: Seems to have taken over Obito's role as Madara's second-in-command alongside Black Zetsu, even wearing the same sort of cloak as Obito.
- Speak In Unison: Does this with the other White Zetsu on occasion.
- Spike Shooter: His Wood Release: Cutting Technique projects and fires sharpened branches and roots that, if they impale a person, grow into and through their body.
- Super Toughness: Tanks a hit from Karin's Chakra Chains and Suigetsu's Finger Firearms with minimal damage, and even manages to skewer Karin with his Wood Release: Cutting Technique in retaliation.
- The Symbiote: Acted as a living suit of armour for Obito in his early days as Madara II. He currently has someone inside him, though who it is is currently unknown and he is in complete control.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Used to have this rapport with White Zetsu.
- Voice of the Legion: His voice has a reverberating effect.