Characters: Naruto-Team 7
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Team 7 provides examples of:
- Betty and Veronica: Sakura was the Archie to Naruto's Betty and Sasuke's Veronica.
- Color-Coded Characters
- Freudian Trio: Team 7 starts out with pretty clearly defined roles, with Naruto representing the Id as he was loud, impulsive, boastful, hyperactive, stubborn, instinctual, etc. ; Sakura being the Ego and Sasuke the Super Ego. Interesting in that Naruto and Sasuke gradually exchange their roles through the course of the story, while Sakura's role remains mostly the same.
- Generation Xerox: Twice, no less!
- Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura trained under a Sannin over the timeskip, learning their summons and part of the moveset, and furthering their personality comparisons. Sasuke/Orochimaru was the student who left to further his own power, Jiraiya/Naruto was the dedicated, dreamer friend who can't give them up, and Tsunade/Sakura the woman caught in the middle. Kakashi/Sarutobi was the master who put the most stock in the student who left and ultimately had to fight them later on after being promoted to Sixth Hokage candidate/Third Hokage.
- They have a few similarities to the Team 7 under the Fourth Hokage - Naruto/Obito was the loud jokester who was looked down upon for having "lesser" abilities, the heart of the group; Sasuke/Kakashi was the serious "cool" guy, completely single-minded in his dedication and something of a prodigy; and Sakura/Rin was the cool guy's fangirl who didn't recognize the jokester's crush on her, had a bright demeanor, and was essentially the group's medic; of course, unlike Sasuke, Kakashi actually returned Rin's feelings.
- It goes even further, both teams consist of a Jinchuuriki, an Uchiha, and an otherwise Badass Normal, one of which would eventually betray the Leaf Village
- Hair Contrast Duo: Naruto and Sasuke.
- Never Forgotten Skill: Team work. No matter how long it's been since they've seen each other or how wildly their individual skills have evolved and diverged, the trio can still work in sync like they've been rehearsing daily when they end up on the same side of a battle. During the battle with the Ten Tails they initiate the 'New Three-Way Deadlock' formation perfectly, and Naruto and Sasuke further combine Rasen-shuriken with Amaterasu and the Nine Tails Chakra Shroud with Susanoo - all this minutes after Sasuke decides to rejoin the group after being rogue for 3-4 years and only having seen Naruto and Sakura twice during that time.
- Ninja Brat: Naruto in particular, as he started the series as a bratty, immature, mischievous child who had failed the Ninja Academy graduation exam multiple times. Sakura and Sasuke both have their moments of immaturity in Part 1 as well.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Naruto is the red to Sasuke's blue.
- In Part 2, it has slowly flipped around.
- The Team
- Part I - with a Freudian Trio mixed in
- The Mentor/The Leader - Kakashi - As the Token Adult and Jounin in charge of the three Genin
- The Lancer/Number Two - Sasuke (Superego) - trains more closely with Kakashi than the others, is The Leader whenever Kakashi is absent and is the primary foil to Naruto
- The Hero/The Big Guy - Naruto (Id) - Inspires others with his heroism, forms the closest bonds with the people they meet on their missions, and his huge chakra reserves and Kyuubi powers make him a force on the battlefield
- The Chick/The Smart Guy - Sakura (Ego) - the Token Girl who knows and explains the mechanics of different techniques and histories of various organizations, but knowingly takes a backseat to the action compared to the three boys, eventually becomes a healer. At the center of a 'love triangle' of sorts between Naruto and Sasuke.
- Part II - Nearly a Five-Man Band but with no definitive Leader since after promotion to Chuunin hierarchy can vary from mission to mission
- Summon Magic: Frogs and Toads for Naruto, Snakes and later Hawks for Sasuke, Slugs for Sakura and Dogs for Kakashi.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: At first, to the extent that, during Kakashi's test, the very idea of the three working together to steal the bells never once occurred to them.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Honestly, if you are ever a comrade of Naruto's, you will end up becoming this at some point, but it will usually peter out after a while.
I never go back on my word. That is my way of the Ninja.
Voiced by: Junko Takeuchi
(JP), Maile Flanagan (EN), Isabel Martiñón (Latin America), Javier Balas (Spain)
The main character. The Hero
. In case you couldn't tell.
He starts off as the stock Shonen anime Hero out to prove his worth to the villagers who've shunned and hated him
by becoming the Hokage note
of Konoha. When he was just an infant, the Fourth Hokage sealed the evil Nine-Tailed Fox demon
inside his body. He goes from being viewed as nothing but the demon itself to a full-fledged ninja once he saves his sensei Iruka from the evil Mizuki. He gradually matures from his Idiot Hero
demeanor over the course of the series, and by the time Shippuden
rolls in, he's older and wiser, not to mention stronger than ever.
His hobbies are pulling pranks and watering plants.
Favorite phrase: "a large serving of miso ramen with roasted pork fillet"
- Black Eyes of Evil: Dark Naruto, who's a manifestation of the darkness in Naruto's heart, complete with a constant Slasher Smile and eyes that are completely black.
- Blank White Eyes: Played For Drama whenever he uses his the Kyuubi's chakra before befriending it.
- Blow You Away/Razor Wind: The main nature of his chakra is "Wind", and he puts it to good use with Futon(Wind Style): Rasen Shuriken, which basically creates a crapload of tiny little blades that cut every cell in your body.
- In 4th tail form, he creates a cyclone with a fling of its claw.
- Bodyguard Crush: Inverted - if he has to protect a girl in a filler arc or movie, said girl has a good chance of developing feelings for him whether he catches on or not.
- Boisterous Weakling: He was this as a child and at the very beginning of the series, boasting that he would become Hokage while failing to perform the most basic techniques.
- Book Dumb: He comes up with winning strategies for his squad, yet placed dead last in the exams.
- This continues well into the series. During the war he came up a plan to save the entire army from being nuked using shadow clones, but he had to be told how it worked after the fact. To put it simply; he knew it would work but did not know how.
- Boring, but Practical: Naruto's signature move, the shadow clone jutsu, allows him to create multiple physical copies of himself. On paper, it sounds considerably less flashy than majority of the other jutsu's in the series. That said, it's actually proven to be a Swiss Army Superpower.
- Born Winner: Heir to no less than three super-powerful legacies, in addition to having the ability to tame a creature composed of pure malevolence that was sealed inside of him. Personally trained by some of the strongest ninjas alive, and the wisest Toad Sage. More accolades keep getting piled on as time goes on.
- Mostly a subversion though. Through the majority of the entire series, his lineage, having Kurama sealed inside him, and his teachers didn't help much. He graduated dead last at the Academy, failed to become a Chunin, failed to bring Sasuke back, didn't grow nearly as much as he thought he would after the Timeskip or save Gaara before he died, failed to get Sasuke again, had to go through a grueling training regime to get his Dangerous Forbidden Technique (initially), lost Jiraiya and Sasuke (yet again on the latter), nearly succumbs to his hatred and nearly releases a still hate filled evil Kurama against Pain, and of course his fainting after the world hits him with reality about Sasuke during the Five Kage Summit. Its only recently Naruto's finally come to his own.
- Bratty Half-Pint: In the beginning.
- Broken Hero: Between his past, Sasuke and Pain...
- Broken Messiah: Temporarily had this spectacularly happen to him during the Iron Country/Kage Summit arc.
- Butt Monkey: At the start of the series, but generally this has faded.
- Calling the Old Man Out: When he first meets his father, the first thing he does is punch Minato in the stomach before demanding to know why he sealed the Nine-Tails inside of him in the first place, tearfully recalling everything that happened to him as a result before managing to calm himself.
- Chain of People: Naruto replicates to pull this off by himself occasionally.
- Character Title: Duh.
- Chick Magnet: Not so much in the manga, but he usually manages to get at least one more girl to fall in love with him in each filler arc of the anime.
- The Chosen One: According to Jiraiya, Naruto is the one child of an ancient prophecy destined to save the world and not Nagato (aka Pain) or Minato as Jiraiya always thought. Though it's later hinted that they're all The Chosen One. Might as well be just Naruto, though, since the other two are dead..
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Naruto has it bad during the Ninja War arc, where he insists on breaking out of hiding because he can't bear to sit back while his friends die to protect him, and pretty much takes the task of winning the war on himself, sending clones to help every division and protecting his fellow shinobi left, right and centre.
- Clipped Wing Angel: When he uses alot of the kyuubi's power he is insanely powerful, but it allows the Nine Tails to assume control of his body and shortens his lifespan.
- Cooldown Hug: Gives one to Dark Naruto in their second meeting.
- Combination Attack: Has one with Yamato which combines his Wind Style Rasengan with Yamato's Water Style Tearing Torrent.
- Confusion Fu: Naruto is the number one ninja at surprising people.
- Cosmic Plaything: He had the most powerful demon in the world sealed in him as an infant, grew up a neglected orphan not knowing why the entire village shunned him, finally made some friends only for his best friend to Face-Heel Turn and try to kill him. He has an organization of super powered psychos out to get him. He can't use too much of the demon's power without it killing him or driving him mad.
- Covert Pervert: Despite his habit of calling out adults he considers 'perverts' (especially Jiraiya) pre-timeskip and taking advantage of them with his Sexy Jutsu, Naruto seems to be Not So Different from Jiraiya after all...
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: As pointed out by Tenten in the Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass example above.
- Cursed with Awesome: Having the Nine-Tails sealed into his belly. It makes everyone hate him but the trade off is access to the biju's chakra in addition to rapidly developing his personal chakra reserves to the point where he has more raw power than most jonin before the story even begins. It's revealed later to be Blessed with Suck as his father choose to stash the beast in his son so Naruto could fight Tobi and hoped it would be a blessing both tactically and socially.
- Death Glare: Give this to The nine tails in chapter 538 and even it was afraid.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Something of an inversion, The Third Raikage resurrected by Edo Tensei was shilled as being an incredibly strong one man army (literally) that beat the Eight Tails in a fight. The man tanked Naruto's strongest attack and was only defeated when Naruto recreated the way he got his scar; by having him run himself through with his own technique. Played straight in his battle with Pain.
- Determinator: This trope more or less defines Naruto.
- "I won't let any of my comrades get killed !".
- This really shows through when Naruto sends Shadow Clones to go to all fronts of the Fourth Ninja War and help out everyone. One of his particular clones fought against the Edo!Kage and Madara Uchiha himself. Bear in mind a simple attack is supposed to disperse a Shadow Clone, and numerous times, this clone mentioned how he really felt like just fading away, but he kept fighting to try and protect everyone.
- Ditzy Genius: Has very little in the way of common sense, but has shown himself to be both surprisingly perceptive of others, likely due to only being able to watch others as a child, and extremely proficient when it comes to making strategies, especially under the heat of battle.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Sakura. Initially before his Character Development.
- Doppelgänger Attack/Me's a Crowd: One of his two trademark techniques.
- Dueling Messiahs: Exemplified in his fight with Pain. Naruto aims for peace. Pain also did, but by creating a horrific jutsu that would scar everyone into peace.
- Dumb Blonde: Naruto isn't the sharpest kunai in the pouch especially when it comes to social graces or booksmarts, but to his credit he can be a cunning battle tactician.
- The Empath: Naruto gains the ability to sense negative emotions while using the Nine-Tailed Fox's chakra after he defeated it.
- Et Tu, Sasuke?: Definitely his reaction when the latter said that he is leaving his friends for the matter of getting stronger.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His Signature Move, the Rasengan, and all its variants. The tenth anniversary game one-ups this by making an Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons version! It's even in his name!
- Exotic Eye Designs: Gains one in his latest power up, Biju Sage Mode, which resemble a cross in his eyes.
- Facial Markings: Whisker like marks on his cheeks, result of Fox inside his mother.
- Family Honor: Played with. He deeply admired and respected the Fourth Hokage long before he ever found out that the Fourth was his father.
- Fartillery: Though unintentional, he gets the better of Kiba during the Chunin Exams by farting in his face. Given Kiba's super-sensitive nose, it works like a charm.
- The Final Temptation: Obito offers, and Naruto nearly takes it until Hinata slaps it out of him.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Sakura.
- Flash Step: Once he has tamed the Nine Tails.
- Fluffy Tamer: A literal case as he manages to befriend all of the tailed beasts including Kurama, the Nine Tailed Fox, who is currently assisting him in the war.
- Gender Bender: "Oiroke No Jutsu", translated "Sexy Jutsu".
- Generation Xerox: Jiraiya, a member of the Legendary Sannin and Naruto's godfather-mentor, has more on one occasion remarked that Naruto resembles and is surely able to surpass his former student the Fourth Hokage, who is Naruto's father, and even himself (in terms of awesome and pervertedness).
- Not to mention his mother being the previous Jinchuuriki of Kurama.
- Genius Ditz: He may normally be an idiot, but the plans and strategies he comes up at the span of seconds while under pressure are definitely to be admired. It has gotten to the point it is lampshaded at various points in part II.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Was this towards Sasuke in Part 1. Jealous of Sasuke's skill and reputation. Especially jealous that Sasuke was the one that Sakura loved and not him.
- In Part2, during the war and Sasuke's apparent Heel-Face Turn, he seems to be feeling jealous towards his old rival once again. Sakura is obviously still in love with him. When Sasuke and Naruto both save her from the Ten-tails, she immediately turns to Sasuke to thank him. Naruto comments that he saved her too but no further comments were said on the matter.
- Guile Hero
- Guttural Growler: Often gains a growly voice when using the Nine-Tails' chakra.
- Healing Factor: Thanks to the Kyuubi.
- Heartwarming Orphan: An orphan who has the tendency to make friends out of his enemies.
- Hellish Pupils: Vertical slits when using the the Fox's chakra.
- The Hero: As if it wasn't obvious already.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: For most of his childhood, he was scorned by most of the village because of his being the host for the Nine-Tails. He slowly proves everyone wrong and is now the village hero.
- Hereditary Hairstyle: He has his father's spiky blond hair.
- Heroes Want Redheads: The girl he has a crush on has pink hair, he loves his mother's red hair and at least a couple of the Filler girls he's Ship Teased with have red hair.
- Heroic BSOD: Naruto usually handles himself outstandingly well, but some things that happen are enough to drive even him into a state of gaping, awestruck desperation. So far it's happened three times. The first was completely justified and long overdue; the second came when he learned that Sasuke, who he had dedicated six years of his life to rescuing, had been declared Public Enemy No. 1 and marked for death by every ninja village,including the Hidden Leaf. The third was brought on by the death of Neji. It nearly had Naruto plunged into the Despair Event Horizon, until Hinata gave him the Get A Hold Of Yourself Man + Rousing Speech combo.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Beats the shit out of himself if he feels he's being "useless". Actually, the more powerful he gets, the more he seems prone to this, perhaps because he used to suck earlier in his lifetime, or to keep balance in his characterization (boasting loser -> doubting hero).
- He claims that he's "not that good of a ninja" after defeating five out of six of Pain's bodies, when few could even defeat one, and before defeating the last and most powerful one. Granted, his opponent was tired and and had used most of his chakra in fighting the villagers and nuking the city, but still...
- He's Back: Several times (after his 3 years training with Jiraiya, then after he fails to bring back Sasuke again, and after Jiraiya's death).
- Hidden Depths: Enough to be poster boy on the trope page.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Lifetime achievement award. And it seems it's a hereditary trait between his mother's red and father's yellow.
- Technicolor Ninja: Despite the Orange, Naruto has shown a great proficiency for stealth when he cares about using it. Admittedly, this isn't very often.
- One the other hand, he recently gained the ability to turn into full-tailed beast form. You can't be much more highly visible than turning into a kaiju-sized fox demon.
- Holding Hands: Does this with Hinata after she saves him from the Despair Event Horizon.
- Honor Before Reason: His whole reason for trying to help Sasuke can be summed up as this.
- Hot-Blooded: When he was a kid he'd more or less charge straight into battle screaming and spamming shadow clones. He's more level headed in part II, but stile has his moments.
- Hour of Power: His newest Super Mode only allows him 10 minutes at most to fight, though it does seem to last slightly longer after each subsequent use.
- Hurting Hero: Which he hides behind a smile and a upbeat cheerful attitude.
- Hypocritical Humour: He constantly calls out adults he considers perverted, while he himself is a bit of a Covert Pervert.
- I Am Your Opponent: Says it word-for-word against Tobi after the Impure World Resurrection is deactivated
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Said word for word in Chapter 551.
Naruto: I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks for the save, Itachi!
- Idiot Hero: He's the protagonist and a moderate Book Dumb. Not insufferably stupid, just overly simple, cheerful and carefree at times when it would be better to act serious, thoughtful, and focused. His lack of social graces and tendency to sound ill-informed cause him to look like a nimrod, but you gotta be fair enough to spare him the total idiot billing.
- Tobirama states though, that he's an even bigger one than his brother.
- I Gave My Word: He never goes back on his promises; it's his Shinobi Way.
- I Got Bigger: Before the timeskip, he was the second smallest of the Konoha 12◊. Afterwards, he ended up being taller than Sakura and as tall as Sasuke.
- We got a 'growth chart' of Naruto over the course of the series during the 590-600 chapters. From the beginning to the end of Part II Naruto grew at least three or four more inches.
- Naruto is the same height as his father now, whose nearly six feet tall.
- I Hate Past Me: This video depicts the Naruto of Part I interacting with the Naruto of Part II. Though it's not exactly hate, Part II-era Naruto finds himself wondering if his goofy and childish Part I self was really what he used to be like.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Naruto's full Bijuu form creates a chakra coat forms around him.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Inherited them from his father, the Fourth Hokage. They symbolize his youth, naive personality and inexperience.
- Insecure Love Interest: Seems to display this trope to an extent. While not having a romantic relationship with Sakura, he states to Sai that he could not tell her how he feels if he couldn't keep his promise to her, so he seemingly implies he's unworthy of her.
- In-Series Nickname: As a kid, he had on more than one occasion been called the "Number One Hyperactive Knucklehead Ninja" by Kakashi, which caught on here and there.
- In the Blood: Several things.
- His natural ability to learn-by-doing, which is one of the few things he inherited from this father.
- His lack of academic prowess, his energetic personality, his short temper, and his Verbal Tic, "Dattebayo!/Believe it!", all of which he inherited from his mother.
- The Uzumaki-clan natural chakra affinity, strong life energy, and excellent physical health, all of which is necessary to perform the ninjitsu he masters throughout the series.
- It's Personal: The Pain Arc. From killing his beloved sensei, to blowing up his village, to (temporarily) killing his other sensei, and then trying to pull a Not So Different comparison between Naruto and himself, by the time Naruto actually sees Pain for the first time, he wants him so, SO dead.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: His promise to bring back Sasuke for Sakura is rooted there. Though he also has personal motives as well, and they overtake through the course of the story.
- Jagged Mouth: Develops one in in his Version 2 Jinchuuriki Shroud, which leads to the Kyuubi taking over. His Tailed Beast Mode also has this, being a chakra construct in the shape of the Nine-Tailed Fox.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can be fairly blunt and quite willing to tell people when he thinks less than highly of them, but is very willing to help when needed.
- Keet: Naruto is very energetic and very loud.
- Kirk Summation: His reply to Pain's Motive Rant.
- Knuckle Cracking: Over and over. More than any mortal knuckle could really take.
- The Leader: Through Character Development, Naruto has achieved this status by leading the entire Ninja World on the ground against Akatsuki. First against the Edo Kage menace, then against the White Zetsus, then against Obito, then against Obito and Madara, and finally against Obito, Madara, and the Ten-Tails. Due to his abilities, his power get people to follow him, and his gigantic heart he had led the world against the most powerful threat long enough for the Hokages and Sasuke to arrive.
- While Sasuke starts to panic and begins to just try to rescue himself, Naruto, and Jugo, Naruto keeps his calm after reentering Biju Mode and activates all the chakra cloaks he left on the Alliance. After that, Minato teleports everyone out since all their chakra is linked. Even Sasuke is a bit...down when he realizes what Naruto did and has become, since Sasuke could only save three people...Naruto saved everyone.
- Tobirama even remarks that Naruto could become a better Hokage than his brother Hashirama.
- Due to Ino transmitting his thoughts, feelings, and heart through the Alliance, he is able to rally them once again to fight Obito and the Shinju. Something Hashirama couldn't do.
- Exemplified in chapter 651 when due to Naruto's leadership and bond with his friends, he's able to to defeat Obito despite Obito using the sword that the Rikudo Sennin used. And finally his leadership enabled the Alliance to utterly defeat Obito and free all the Biju in 654.
- Leaked Experience: This is how Naruto's "train with a hundred doppelgangers" Instant Expert method works. He gains all the experience(s) of the clones when they're dismissed, like a reverse EXP Share.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Often charges in on his own, and gets called out for it by Yamato, Kakashi and Sakura in the Three-Tails arc. This is even explicitly the reason why he was hidden what was going on at the beginning of the War Arc. Of course, due to the fact that his clones enable him to watch his opponent's technique as many times as he needs to, it's to his advantage to be one.
- Ironically, he was the only person who wasn't this trope when everyone went to try to stop Madara from resurrecting. Sasuke and Minato both charged in without a plan, and only Naruto realized that Obito was playing everyone, even Madara, for fools. If everyone had just listened...they'd have had just a killable Madara to deal with, instead of a unkillable Madara + Ten-Tails Jinchuriki Obito on the other side.
- Legacy Character: Considering that he's named after Jiraiya's main character in his best book, and that Naruto's training was considered his greatest achievement before his death this definitely qualifies.
- Leitmotif: In part 1.
- Lightning Bruiser: He qualifies as this when using the Fox's power, and also when in Sage Mode. He can even outmatch the Raikage's speed, who was previously fastest in the world.
- Like Father, Like Son: It's mostly appearance wise. He takes most after his mother.
- Like Parent, Like Spouse: Minato is shown thinking that Sakura reminds him of Naruto's mother Kushina.
- Lima Syndrome: Learning about the circumstances surrounding the Kyuubi being sealed inside him unlocked some sort of empathic powers which allows him to feel sympathy for the Kyuubi.
- Living Battery: To the point where he can supercharge the entire alliance with their own Super Modes.
- Living Weapon: Although he was first introduced as a living prison, Minato later outright stated he was made a Jinchuriki for the purpose of combating The Masked Man.
- Look What I Can Do Now: Naruto uses this as his quasi standard way to progress. In fact, he does it in the first episode/volume when he first busts out what will later become his signature move.
- Love Martyr: Counts as a platonic example for Sasuke. He also falls into the romantic variety for Sakura.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: His dad is the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze. Not that it wasn't incredibly obvious all along.
- Made of Iron: the Kyuubi boosts his body's natural regeneration to superhuman levels, but damn does he take some serious hits. He was stabbed through both hands, arms and legs by Pain yet shows no signs of scar tissue.
- Magnetic Hero: Definitely. Other characters often point out his uncanny ability to bring out the good in people.
- He also has the uncanny ability to boost the morale of his peers. This was revealed as early as the Chuunin Exams. His refusal to quit during the second stage inspired everyone else to stay in as well.
- Meaningful Name: Naruto can either mean "maelstrom" or a type of fish cake ramen topping with a spiky starburst and spiral in the middle which obviously inspired his look. Uzumaki either means "spiral" or "whirlpool." Both names tie in well with his energetic personality and his signature move, the rasengan ("spiral sphere"), and narutomaki is meant to resemble the whirlpools in the Naruto Strait, which may have inspired his mother's home village of Uzushiogakure, the Village Hidden in the Whirling Tides.
- Mentor's New Hope: Jiraiya considers training Naruto the one thing he definitely got right in his life.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Courtesy of All of the Other Reindeer and the rumors about him becoming a demon going on a rampage against the village.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: When using large, uncontrolled quantities of the Kyuubi's chakra.
- Mr. Fanservice: Lots of Shirtless Scenes in Part II. He spent whole arcs shirtless under oil- and waterfalls.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: After taking control of the fox's power he summon many Chakra arms, each with a Rasengan on it..
- My Greatest Failure: Not being able to save either Sasuke or Gaara comes off as this, especially in the Tear Jerker where he thinks he is useless for not being able to save either, especially seeing at it is his first major mission after three years training to defeat the Akatsuki and bring Sasuke back.
- Naughty Is Good: His debut scene involves him pulling an elaborate prank involving Face Doodling on the statues of the Hokage.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He is personally thanked by Madara for stripping Obito of the tailed beasts, thus weakening him enough to regain control over him and bring about the evil Uchiha's revival.
- The Nicknamer: He often gives people nicknames based on some aspects of their personalities or appearances, either as insults, Affectionate Nicknames, or both, and often refers to them exclusively as such. To give a short list, Jiraiya is "Pervy Sage," Killer B is "Shades-Wearing Pops" or "Octopops," and Tsunade is "Grandma Tsunade" or simply "Grandma."
- Nom de Mom: His last name comes from his mom Kushina Uzumaki in order to hide his ties with his father Minato Namikaze, the fourth hokage.
- Oblivious to Love: Deconstructed. He grew up only being shunned and hated by the village, so he simply cannot recognize genuine affection towards him. He didn't understand Hinata's feelings towards him. When she offers him some medicine or an opportunity to cheat on a written exam, he finds it awkward (justified while Naruto thinks to himself Hinata is way too kind to sabotage him, he thinks Kiba might be putting her up to it).
- One-Man Army: He is The Cavalry by the time the Fourth War comes!
"I'm going to hit all the battle fronts at the same time and turn the tide!"
- Orange/Blue Contrast and Red Oni, Blue Oni: In the anime, his chakra is blue, while the Kyuubi's is orange. He could originally only draw on the Kyuubi's chakra with extreme emotion, hence he was much calmer while using his own chakra.
- Also, Naruto=Red and Sasuke=Blue. Used very literally in the Shippouden opening and end themes.
- Painful Transformation: His conversion to the four-tailed jinchuriki state involves his skin getting burned off by the Nine-Tails' chakra, with his blood coating his body along with the chakra field. When Yamato forcibly changes him back, he literally has no skin and screams in agony before passing out.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Like all biju and their hosts, Naruto is often described in a way analogous to a nuclear weapon.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "You give up... on me giving up!"
- Real Men Wear Pink: One of his favourite hobbies is gardening. No really.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: During the Land of Waves arc, he calls out Zabuza for his indifference to Gato's desecration of Haku's body, tearfully recanting what Haku had told him about how much he cared for Zabuza and the fact that he had just sacrificed his life to save him. Zabuza is genuinely moved to tears and proceeds to kill Gato himself.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When using the Kyuubi's power and Dark Naruto.
- Running on All Fours: Naruto each time the Bijuu cloak appears.
- Scary Flashlight Face: Pulls it off several times in the "what's under Kakashi's mask?" episode. Each time earns him a good thwack upside the head from Sakura.
- Screw Destiny: What he tells Neji after he defeats him in the Chunin exam, and pretty much anyone else who views him as a hopeless cause destined for failure.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Naruto has little respect for rules on a good day, and when those rules become a hindrance he ignores them entirely.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: He's the aforementioned Person, with a demon fox sealed within him.
- Secret Legacy: He is this to his father the Fourth Hokage.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His Rasenshuriken.
- Shared Family Quirks: According to Tsunade, although Naruto inherited his colouring from his father, the Fourth Hokage, his personality, favorite food, and even Verbal Tic all come from his mother Kushina, including his unconventional battle-tactics and love of pranks.
- Shonen Hair: Spiky blond hair for a shounen protagonist.
- Signature Move: Shadow Clones and later Rasengan.
- The Fuma Shuriken seems to be acknowledged as Naruto's signature weapon in console games, despite the fact that he's only used it twice, one in Part I (where he disguised himself as one) an in Part II, where he transformed his clone into one. He's never carried one around, or even actually thrown one.
- Skilled, but Naive: While quite strong, he's incredibly naive about the way the world works, and his desires to prevent anyone else from dying and to unite the entire ninja would would be completely impossible if not for Writer on Board.
- Spanner in the Works: To the point where Tobi actually calls him out on this trope.
- Spirited Competitor: He was willing to pick a fight with his rival every chance he could get.
- Stalker Without A Crush: Towards Sasuke.
- Stealth Mentor: In a strange way, Naruto was this to Itachi. Naruto declaring how he made it as far as he did with the help of his comrades and friends makes Itachi realize what true strength means, and how wrong he was to rely only on himself. His speech to Naruto about a belief only in yourself makes you arrogant and leads to failure? That was describing himself and his own failure.
- Stepford Smiler: Naruto will tend to mask his pain with a smile, such as when he promises Sakura to bring back Sasuke for her before and after the retrieval mission. Before the Chunin exams finals, he admitted to Hinata that he viewed himself as a loser and tried to act cool and brash to cope with this. In Part II, Pain put him on the ropes by breaking him down with words, getting him to second guess his own actions.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks so identical to his father Minato that no one was suprised by the time of The Reveal.
- Super Mode: Sage Mode and later stages of using the Kyuubi's chakra.
- Surpassed The Teacher: He perfected sage mode, which Jiraiya wasn't able to do.
- He also surpassed Kakashi, because the latter wasn't able to add element manipulation to the rasengan—which is why Kakashi made chidori. Even the Fourth Hokage had been unable to add his elemental manipulation to the Rasengan.
- Swiss Army Superpower: Naruto's Shadow Clone Jutsu. The standard ability is it allows Naruto to create physical clones of himself. These clones can act as human shields, speed up his training, allows him to spam rasengans, and can be combined with his taijutsu techniques.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Naruto loathes Obito for his Straw Nihilist views. Yet as he works to finally separate Obito from the tailed beasts, all of the Uchiha's emotions and memories come flooding in with them. Naruto experiences visions of the Uchiha's past, his dreams of becoming Hokage, his mourning Rin's death, and is genuinely moved to tears over Obito's loss.
- Take a Third Option: This trope more or less defines Naruto.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Naruto convinces Pain and Konan to pull a Heel-Face Turn with words, and later tries to do the same to Obito as well. Critics cynically refer to this as "Talk no Jutsu".
- The Tease: Sexy Jutsu turns him into a naked female version of himself.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: He has these shown after he finds out that Jiraiya is dead.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Every time Naruto learns a new skill, it's quickly rendered insufficient and it's back to training. Rinse and repeat.
- To Be a Master: He doesn't just want to be the Hokage (the best ninja in Konoha). He wants to be the greatest Hokage, better than all before him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Several times. Achieving Sage mode and harnessing the Nine-Tails chakra are the most notable occassions. His progress before the timeskip is practically nothing by comparison. To basically sum it up: he has the full cooperation and power of the most powerful tailed beast short of the original, Sage Mode which gives him Super Strength and toughness outside of that, the ability to power-up anyone he touches, and has chakra so incredibly strong it can be felt all the way to Konoha. Plus, he can combine said Tailed Beast's power with Sage Mode to become even more powerful. If it weren't for his current opponents, this would be a clear case of Story Breaker Power (though, for the Sasuke/Naruto fight which is practically inevitable, it'll be interesting to see how Sasuke will manage to level that playing field).
- Trademark Favorite Food: He absolutely adores ramen and all of its various flavors; it's pretty much the only thing he really eats.
- Training from Hell: His training to learn the Rasen-Shuriken involved using a jillion Shadow clones to master his chakra control. He fainted more than a couple of times.
- Trauma Conga Line: Sasuke, Jiraiya and his parents are pretty much why he's so messed up.
- The Trickster: At first.
- Übermensch: In-universe. Since the first arc he has stated that he rejects the ordinary ninja way and will follow his own. It's constantly reaffirmed throughout the series.
- Undying Loyalty: Despite how far Sasuke has fallen, Naruto refuses to give up hope that he can be saved, though he is nonetheless resolved to fight and kill Sasuke if there's no other way.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Jiraiya describes him as this during the chunin exams. Thanks to his high levels of Chakra, Naruto doesn't need to worry about the fine control his peers do and can more readily rely on raw power ninjutsu. This is played in contrast to Neji's Weak, but Skilled. Later, Shadow Clone training helps convert raw power into skill, but he's still prone to muscle his way through jutsus that require loose chakra control. At least until he learns Sage Mode, which is enough to fight Pain on equal terms using an energy even more difficult than Chakra.
- Ebisu also points out that he and Sasuke are this way in chakra control compared to Sakura. Sakura has by far the least chakra of the three, but the ability to use it the best. Naruto and Sasuke have far more chakra, but end up spending far more of it on their jutsus, to lesser effect, because their control issues.
- Unstoppable Rage: Thrice. In part 1 when he believed Sasuke had been killed, in part 2 against Orochimaru and when Pain seemingly kills Hinata.
- After Obito kills thousands more shinobi that Naruto was actively protecting and nearly kills Shikamaru, Naruto's rage brings tears to his eyes and he is even able to damage Obito in his black sphere!
- Verbal Tic: "Dattebayo/Believe It!" He uses it as a comma, for gods sake. "The sky's blue, Believe It!" Curiously, when the English dub has to acknowledge his verbal tic once more, in Storm 3 for instance, it's translated instead as "Ya know?"
- Inheritance Of Acquired Traits: His mother has almost the exact same Verbal Tic ("Dattebane" to his "Dattebayo"), which he couldn't have possibly picked up from her, as he'd been alive for no more than an hour before she died.
- Warrior Therapist: Especially against Neji and Gaara.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Sasuke. Big time.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Naruto had a phase of this with his Kage Bunshin and Rasengan, but he seems to have grown out of it (this probably hangs on fans' minds because this is the point he was at when the plot of the anime took a 80-episode Filler break, so we got to see these milked for much, much more than they were worth).
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Delivered one when he fought Gaara.
Naruto: It's almost unbearable, isn't it? The feeling of being all alone. I know that feeling; I've been there in that dark and lonely place, but now there are others... other people who mean a lot to me. I care more about them than I do myself, and I won't let anyone hurt them. That's why I won't ever give up. I will stop you even if I have to kill you!
Gaara: But why... why would you do this for anyone but yourself?
Naruto: Because they saved me from myself. They rescued me from my loneliness; they were the first to accept me for who I am. They're my friends.
- World's Strongest Man: Tobirama directly compares Naruto to Hashirama upon witnessing his mastery of Sage Mode, and later admits that Naruto may even become a greater Hokage than his brother was. Even more apparent when Naruto breaks out Biju Sage Mode. Its come to the point where Hashirama is acknowledging that he's the strongest now and is supporting everyone in the entire Alliance. And because of Naruto's strength the entire Alliance defeats Obito by freeing the Biju.
- Yuri Fan: Shown by Konohamaru's Girl on Girl Justu.
I hate a lot of things, and I don't particularly like anything. What I have is not a dream, because I will make it a reality. I'm going to restore my clan, and kill a certain someone.
Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama
(JP), Yuri Lowenthal
(EN), Victor Ugarte (Latin America), Adolfo Moreno and Eduardo Bosch (Spain. As a kid and adult, respectively)
Sasuke Uchiha is Naruto's rival
and The Lancer
of Team 7, a prodigy who possesses the power copying
Sharingan bloodline limit. He's one of the last remaining members of the Clan
, who were mostly murdered by his Aloof Big Brother
Itachi in a single night. Since the incident, Sasuke focused himself to acquire enough power to kill Itachi and avenge the clan. Initially a loner
and so-not-a-team player, Sasuke develops a grudging respect for Naruto. He eventually grows jealous of the possibility of Naruto outshining him, and abandons Konoha and heads off to join Orochimaru, who desired his Sharingan. Not even an epic battle with Naruto could change his mind.
he returns, stronger than ever
, and now knows of the Nine-Tailed Fox inside Naruto. He disposes of Orochimaru, forms a team of the latter's old captives and associates, calling the team "Snake", and finally faces his brother in battle.
His hobbies are training and taking walks.
Favorite word: "power"
- Aloof Ally: Towards Tobi and Orochimaru, as he only worked with them to achieve his own goals and betrayed them as soon as they stopped being useful to him in his quest for revenge.
- Always Someone Better: Just like Naruto, Sasuke also has a chip on his shoulder over wanting to outdo him.
- Anti-Villain: He only wanted his clan members avenged.
- Anti-Hero: After meeting Itachi once again, he decides to seek answers from the previous Hokage with Orochimaru's help, and upon learning about the Uchiha, the Senju, what are Shinobi, and what is a village, Sasuke decides that he will rule the village.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: In his relationship towards Naruto and his desire to fight only strong opponents in order to achieve his goal of killing Itachi Uchiha. This has him lose to Rock Lee and nearly die in facing Gaara. Losses to Itachi and others teach him humility in time.
- Asexual/Celibate Hero: Sasuke has never shown any undisputable romantic or sexual interest towards anyone, because that's the way he is or/and it would hinder his objectives of revenge. If he is interested, he's really good at hiding it.
- Avenging the Villain: How he justifies his objective of killing every single member of the Leaf village. Interesting in that it's clearly not what Itachi would have wanted.
- Ax-Crazy: From the Kages summit on, though he has had the Sanity Ball at times. Notably when he sees Itachi again.
- Badass: Despite what you think of him, he is nothing short of this due to how much Naruto invests himself to reach his level. Even the most talented and elite shinobi of the entire world admit he's a genius with potential beyond theirs. Even the resurrected Second Hokage states that Sasuke is as prodigious as Madara. Orochimaru also confidently states that Sasuke's power has yet to reach its peak and that he would eventually surpass Madara himself.
- Bad Ass Boast: Delivers an epic one at the end of the "Eternal Mangekyo" Fragment chapter in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.
"Just wait... I'm going to find you..."
"Even in the fog of war... This eye will keep you in my sights..."
"I'll teach you..."
"How weak your thinking is..."
"How deep my hatred runs..."
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Psychological torture in his case. Three times, each worse than the last:
- First when he was 7 years old, making him a socially inept, revenge obsessed kid.
- Second time after he re-encountered his big brother, who broke several of his bones, left him in a month-long coma, destroyed his self-worth, ranked his obsession to eleven and caused him to sever all his bonds to join one of the biggest monsters in the series.
- The third time finally ripped apart what little sanity he had left and transformed him into a deranged avenger.
- Bait the Dog: Thought his Heel-Face Turn marked an actual change in behavior? Nope. He's made it pretty clear he intends to kill Naruto once everything's said and done, and still cares for nothing except his own agenda.
- Bastard Understudy: Towards Orochimaru and Tobi.
- Battle Aura: Gains two: when Susano'o first manifests, and the Version 1 Cloak Naruto gave him, which also boosts Susano'o to tailed beast size.
- Berserk Button: Part I and a good chunk of Part II, any time Itachi is near him. After the latter's defeat, any remark about his clan, especially if it's about Itachi, is enough to make Sasuke snap.
- Bishōnen: In-universe, almost every female character he met has noticed how goodlooking he is.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When using his Cursed Seal of Heaven's second stage his sclera would turn black and his irises yellow, though he usually used his Sharingan in conjunction with it.
- Bow and Sword in Accord: His Susanoo.
- Break the Cutie: In his backstory, when he was Forced to Watch his brother murder his clan, at the age of seven. Repeatedly. For days upon days in his mind.
- Broken Ace: Sasuke was introduced as The Ace in contrast to Naruto, being extremely skilled, popular, wanted by all the girls. But he's also incredibly damaged inside because of his past.
- It gets worse as the series goes on. He's extremely gifted, able to use some of the strongest attacks seen yet at the ripe age of about Seven-teen, and can hold it his own against foes like The Raikage. He's even more damaged inside than before and it gets brutally thrown back at him.
- Byronic Hero: To Naruto's All-Loving Hero.
- Cain and Abel: With Itachi.
- Can't Catch Up: This, towards Itachi, was what ultimately made him leave the Leaf. He felt threatened when it appeared that Naruto could catch up with and eventually surpass him, as it was a reminder that he wasn't close to catching up to Itachi, if he couldn't be the best in his own team.
- And again in comparison to Naruto during the latest part of the War Arc. After it becomes clear that Naruto has pretty much surpassed him and is currently one of only two people (the other being a zombie) that can actually hurt Obito, Sasuke's left stuck on the sidelines, silently fuming about Naruto's progress. He even gets a realization when Naruto's full power is shown. Even after Sasuke realizes that he can use Jugo to augment his techniques so they work on Obito, he is still relying on both Naruto's power and Jugo's power to stay in the game, while Naruto is that powerful all by himself. You can see him seething about this in several panels. And despite gaining Perfect Susano'o, the same power Madara has, he's still relying on Naruto to do anything.
- Chick Magnet: Not that he cares.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Almost everyone he gets involved with. In chronological order: the Leaf Village, Orochimaru, Tobi, Jugo and Suigetsu, Karin, Sakura again, Zetsu.
- Curtains Match the Window: Black hair and eyes, as opposed to Naruto's blond and blue-eyed appearance.
- Deadly Upgrade: The Mangekyou Sharingan. It grants numerous cool powers but slowly degrades the user's eyesight with each use. His Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan averts this.
- Death Glare: Used very early towards Sakura, but most instances are in part II where it is enough to scare Kabuto, Sai or Juugo.
- Defrosting Ice King: Throughout the first several arcs thanks to his friendly rivalry with Naruto. Then his brother showed up, tortured him and rekindled the thirst for revenge, which coupled with Sasuke's jealousy over Naruto's progress inspired him to run away from the village to train with a psychopath...
- Detached Sleeves: They may be heat-resistant, given breathing fire is one of his main moves.
- Determinator: As a part of his role as Naruto's Foil. While it's not as overstated as his rival's, Sasuke takes an insane amount of punishment in many of his battles and just keeps going. Making it even more impressive is that he doesn't have a bijuu sealed inside of him to augment his stamina. The best example of this is probably when he fights through four kages, kills Danzo, and then, while near-blind due to Mangekyo overuse, fights Kakashi to a standstill, and then still has enough energy left to clash with Naruto one last time before he leaves the battlefield.
- Deuteragonist: He is the most important character in the story bar Naruto himself.
- Discard and Draw: Loses his cursed seal, his regenerative powers, and certain other abilities from Orochimaru's remains, but acquires the Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Disproportionate and Misplaced Retribution: Wants to kill everybody living in Konoha, even those completely unaware of what happened or not even born then, for the village elders' role in the Uchiha Massacre.
- Easily Forgiven: Played straight by Orochimaru, Jugo, Suigetsu and Karin. Averted by the Shinobi Army, who rationally call him out on being ridiculous in thinking he can just come back like nothing happened. Finally, on a personal level, Sakura clearly doesn't buy this sudden redemption, and Naruto's too busy leading the war effort to make an issue of it.
- Equippable Ally: Like Madara, he can use his Susanoo's perfect form as a suit of armor for Tailed Beasts.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Constantly told Suigetsu not to kill innocent people, and was aganist Orochimaru's methods even describing them as stupid and selfish. Although, this was before he became even more evil after finding out the truth about the Uchiha Massacre.
- Everyone Has Standards: Even before he and Naruto actually become friends, he is absolutely furious at Sakura when she confides in him that she believes Naruto is such an undisciplined prankster because he had no parents to teach him how to act and promptly chews her out for it. After all, he knows from personal experience that not having parents bites.
- Evil Counterpart: Lampshaded frequently by Naruto.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Udon was shown makin googly eyes at Sasuke after he saved them from Kankuro.
- Evil Former Friend: To Naruto and Sakura.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Sharingan◊, Mangekyo Sharingan and Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Expy: Supernatural, intense red eyes that come with a useful power boost? Check. Aloof, impersonal personality? Check. The only survivor of his beloved clan's massacre? Check. Obsessed with vengeance and goes to great lengths to obtain it? Check and check. He carries many traits similar to yet another character designed by Togashi, Kurapika.
- Face-Heel Turn: To Orochimaru.
- Fallen Hero: Very much so.
- Fight Magnet: He spends a lot of time seeking them out, but they come to him just as often. Case in point, Deidara jumping him because by defeating Orochimaru, he basically stole his killnote
- Fuuma Shuriken: Sasuke is very fond of them using many trick throws by attaching them to wires as well as one that is rigged to split apart and fire.
- Freak Out: Happens thrice.
- First after the slaughtering of his clan and he gets Mind Raped by Itachi: the sweet and shy little kid becomes obsessed with revenge.
- Second after he meets again Itachi, is beaten to a pulp and Mind Raped again: it leads to his Face-Heel Turn.
- Third one is delayed: after he learns the truth about Itachi, he Jumps Off The Slippery Slope, but it's only after he kills Danzou that he spectacularly freaks out. The result is not pretty. At all. Lucklily, he's backpedaled after a run-in with Itachi as an Impure Resurrection, but he's still on the fence about his desire for vengeance.
- Generation Xerox: Zig Zagged. For a while, Sasuke was similar to Orochimaru, but now that he isn't following the path of his teacher, his life seems to be headed a direction similar to several of his ancestors. It was explicitly called the curse of the Uchiha. Then Kakashi brings back the comparison with Orochimaru, if only for the teacher versus student parallel.
- Genocide Backfire: His goal is to kill Itachi for slaughtering their clan. It was revealed Itachi did so to stop a potential civil or world war. After he "succeeds" in killing Itachi, he wanted to kill every Konoha citizen for what his brother had to do.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: He reacted poorly to learning that his brother loved him above all else and self-sacrificed. And that it was by order of Konoha that the Uchiha were killed.
- Good Is Not Nice: Started out as this status, before he underwent his Face-Heel Turn.
- Green-Eyed Monster: To a sickening degree. Mostly directed towards Itachi and Naruto, but he generally can't stand the very idea that anyone could be stronger than him.
- Handsome Lech: In the Road To Ninja movie. His AU counterpart isn't plagued by a horrid clan massacre, so he's developed into a more normal sense of a teenage male, a flirtatious dude.
- Hates Being Touched: Itachi's fault.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: During the Chunin and Hunt for Itachi arc, he goes from being Jerk with a Heart of Gold to Jerk Ass with just a few facts revealed to him. It gets worse in Part 2, where after killing Itachi he apathetically dismisses Tobi until he learns the truth about why Itachi did what he did. His obsession with revenge increases to the point where he abandons and sacrifices his teammates, but after speaking with the resurrected Itachi starts to question his motivations. After hearing the tale of the Hokage, Sasuke chooses to follow in his brother's footsteps and protect Konoha from Madara.
- Heir to the Dojo: Sasuke is treated like this by pretty much everyone in Part I.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Fits this trope to a T.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The ease with which Sasuke can be manipulated by someone who is Obviously Evil is astonishing. He claims he is aware of it and just doesn't care much, and he was planning to betray Orochimaru from the start, but that doesn't change the fact that the current situation (both in good and bad ways) can be traced back to Sasuke's own actions.
- If You're So Evil, Eat This Kitten: Subverted, When Sakura approaches him claiming to want to join him, Sasuke tells her to prove her loyalty by killing his teammate Karin (who had outlived her usefulness as far as he was concerned). She wasn't going to do either, it was just a ploy to kill him. Before she can do either, he tries to stab her in the back, either seeing through her lie or just not caring.
- Ineffectual Loner: Initially.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Kishimoto (as Kakashi) lampshaded this himself. Sasuke will never admit someone is his better, but will obsess if he thinks someone is. Sasuke had an absolutely massive one towards Itachi before he killed their clan. He also developed one towards Naruto over the course of Part One, refusing to believe Naruto was stronger than him but driving himself crazy thinking he was, which eventually lead to his Face-Heel Turn.
- Irony: Though Sasuke claims to want to destroy Konoha, almost every action he has taken during the course of the story has worked to the Village's benefit.
- It's All About Me: He starts to have this attitude once he leaves the Leaf Village. Also, not to mention the fact that all he cares about is getting his revenge.
- Jerkass: Post-Face-Heel Turn. Even more so after he finds out the truth about Itachi. Driving it in is the way he abandons Karin and disowns her as useless once she becomes a liability, even though she had just healed him a short while before. Even after his Heel-Face Turn he still doesn't exactly see (or refuses to accept) that his clan was its own worst enemy, and instead is now focusing his hatred on the entire shinobi system. He may not go about it in the pure jerkass Kill 'em All way like before, but he is perfectly willing to be an ass to others around him if they don't go along with his goals. He also intends to kill Naruto, so obviously he hasn't quite gotten over the root of his problems.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Back before his Face-Heel Turn, he was this. Though he presented a cold facade, he grew to care about Naruto and Sakura. Post-Heel-Face Turn, he becomes one of these again. He's still an ass to most of the people he knows, and is utterly uncaring about their feelings, but at the same time, he now wants to be Hokage since he realizes that most of the problems with the current shinobi system stem from the actions of the previous Hokages, the only way to fix them and prevent them from happening again is to become Hokage himself.
- Kick the Dog: If stabbing Karin wasn't enough in itself, disowning her as useless puts the ice on the cake. However, Karin pathetically swoons over his smooth-talking and accepts the apology. Meanwhile, Suigetsu gets the business end of all her pent-up angst.
- Killing Intent: In part two, thanks to Orochimaru. It's so strong, it's enough to calm down Ax Crazies Juugo and Suigetsu.
- Last of His Kind: Subverted. He is called this, but his brother was still alive at the time, only disowned. Not long after Itachi's death, it's revealed there is another Uchiha still alive, and well hidden.
- The Lancer: To Kakashi's Leader role being trained more closely than Sakura or Naruto and taking up the leadership position during the Chuunin exams. Also to Naruto's Hero role as his primary foil throughout the series.
- Laughing Mad: Twice, the first time after achieving his Cursed Seal Level 2 form, and the second time after Kakashi asks him to give up on his quest for revenge.
- The Leader: in the absence of Kakashi during Part I. He also serves as a fairly effective one to Team Taka through most of Part II.
- Leader Wannabe: Post-timeskip, following his Heel-Face Turn, he declares that he intends to become Hokage. The others call him out on how ridiculous this sounds. Later shown when Sasuke can only panic at a Total Party Kill attack being prepped by Obito, opting to save himself, Jugo, and Naruto only, while Naruto keeps his cool and saves everyone.
- Living MacGuffin: Between Naruto, Sakura, Orochimaru, Kabuto and Tobi, everyone seems to want some part of Sasuke. Even Pain shows interest towards him once or twice (even if they never meet).
- Loners Are Freaks
- Loner-Turned-Friend: For a time.
- Love Makes You Evil and Crazy: According to Tobirama, like with many other Uchiha, this is the reason why Sasuke went so completely off the deep end. Not because he is incapable of loving someone, but because when he loves, he loves so deeply and fundamentally that when that love is lost, it ultimately destroys him, which was exactly happened with Itachi.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan and then later the Mangenkyou Sharingan and then finally the Eternal Magenkyou Sharingan. They grant the following abilities...
- Aura Vision
- Combat Clairvoyance: The Sharigan sharpens his eyesight by leagues. With it, he's able to read & anticipate enemy movements without missing a beat.
- Instant Armor: The Susanoo technique.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Tsukuyomi.
- Hellfire: While Itachi primarily favored his Sharingan's genjutsu ability, Sasuke seems to focus on the Amaterasu technique, his Susanoo even has a Flaming Sword covered in the Blaze Release flames.
- Mega Manning: Averted save for one instance. The Sharingan can copy almost any jutsu, except the Blood Limits. But Sasuke has only ever been shown to copy one thing this way: a bit of Rock Lee's Taijutsu that he couldn't properly utilize anyway.
- Master Swordsman: Is extremely skilled with his chokuto.
- Mind Rape: Immediately after the Uchiha Massacre, Sasuke was subjected to this by Itachi, forcing him to relive their parents' murder again and again for days on end.
- Moral Myopia: His revenge was kind of justified till the truth of Itachi being a double agent was revealed, then he comes across as spiteful. After meeting the Hokages, he's come to the conclusion that it's the system which is the problem, not the actions of himself or his kin.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After learning the truth about Itachi.
- Named After Somebody Famous: "Sasuke" comes from famous folktale ninja Sarutobi Sasuke. It's also the name of the Third Hokage's father, who Mikoto named him after.
- Never My Fault: Sasuke almost seems pathologically resistant to any negative consequences of his actions or those of his clan. After learning that they were staging a coup, he blames the village for it. Meeting the Hokages only serves to convince him that the entire ninja system is flawed and that only he can fix it. He even goes so far as to claim he'll become Hokage, ignoring the fact that his current status would make Konohamaru a more likely immediate candidate than himself. Basically, he knew he wouldn't be easily forgiven for what he's done... he just doesn't give a damn, as usual.
- Though to be fair, blaming a seventeen-year-old kid for not wanting to think that his beloved family was anything other than a group of paragons of goodness seems to be petty and unfair at best. All the other stuff does hold though.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Lampshaded with his Hawk Summoning Contract, but mostly averted with his other abilities. All of the other abilities he gains (Cursed Seal, Mangekyo Sharingan and all of its requisite techniques etc.) are, at the very least, foreshadowed in some significant manner which justifies his possession of them before he gets them, even if he, in particular, is not the one using them at those times, which takes them out of the territory of this trope. Mostly, any smatterings of this trope in him seem to be a case of the author not devoting a large amount of time to Sasuke's training montages rather than anything else.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Saved Karin from Killer Bee, which allowed the latter to escape. If he hadn't done this, it's likely his side would've already won the War. Though in the long run it would've been bad for Sasuke too, as he changed sides later on.
- Not Worth Killing: Itachi claims he let Sasuke live through the massacre because of this, but it's not true.
- One-Winged Angel: His level 2 Cursed Seal form. He lost it after Itachi purged him of Orochimaru's power, burning off the wings and demon parts in the process.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Maintains this attitude towards Naruto even after his Heel-Face Turn, protecting him from Obito while imagining slicing Naruto's part of the Team 7 photo to pieces.
- Partial Transformation: His mastery of the Curse Mark lets him to do this.
- Perpetual Frowner: And when he does smile, it's either condescending or just plain creepy.
- Playing with Fire: The Uchiha specialty.
- Poor Communication Causes Insanity: All of Sasuke's problems can be traced to the fact that pretty much everyone except the people trying to manipulate him refuse to tell him jack. By the time anyone bothers to explain the truth behind the Uchiha massacre to him, Sasuke is so wrapped up in his own hatred that he has no other avenue but to irrationally lash out at those he perceives are to blame. His chat with the revived Hokages may have the potential to knock some sanity into him, since they are both straight with him and aren't trying to turn him into a psychopath.
- Power Tattoo: His Cursed Seal of Heaven, which caused black flame-like markings to spread across his body in its first stage and transforms him into a Winged Humanoid in its second, all while drastically amplifying his abilities with senjutsu chakra.
- The Power of Hate: Tobi says that the more Sasuke gives into his own hatred, the stronger he becomes. Naturally this isn't a very healthy way to power up. According to Tobirama, this is genetic.
- Pride: Typical of Uchiha.
- Protagonist Journey To Villain: He follows the steps of The Hero's Journey, even more archetypally than Naruto himself. But each one seems to bring him closer to be a villain. He ends up as one through the course of Part II.
- Psycho for Hire: This is all he really is to Tobi. Sasuke is not important enough to be let in on Tobi's plans and the latter mostly uses him as muscle he can point at something. His ultimate value to Tobi is as a bargaining chip to keep Kabuto on his side, as some kind of gladiator he wants Naruto to fight, or as Gedo Mazo's new battery. Until Kabuto was knocked out of the game by Itachi and Sasuke.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Definitely is this after the Kage Summit.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: Kakashi's pupil until the end of Part I. Not especially nice, but good nonetheless.
- Pure Is Not Good: Edo Itachi points out that Sasuke is still pure in a sense. It's why he's so easily manipulated.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: He's black-haired, pale-skinned, and is considered by many girls to be quite handsome. He gets it from his mom.
- Razor Sharp Hand: The Chidori.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Sasuke was stated to be more evil as he used his Sharingan more. It's eventually revealed that this is quite literal, being a genetic trait of all Uchihas.
- Revenge Before Reason: Lives on this trope 99% of the time, the lasting 1% being when he's motivated by protecting his True Companions. Later, it eventually becomes 100%. Should the object of that revenge be removed, fear not! He'll find something new to point his revenge at. Hell, he's the God of this very trope!
- Starting to grow out of this after meeting with the resurrected Itachi and learning the truth about the Uchiha Clan's massacre.
- Revenge Myopia: Sasuke wants revenge on all of Konoha for ordering Itachi to kill the Uchiha just because the Uchiha were about to pull a coup.
- The Rival: To Naruto.
- Sanity Has Advantages: Generally when Sasuke calms down and thinks, he fights better and is more creative.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His Chidori Eisou, Great Dragon Fire, and Sword of Kagatsuchi abilities.
- Shadow Archetype: Both Naruto and Sasuke lost their families and had to live alone, are obsessive to the point of fanaticism in their goals, level up like it's going out of style to reach their goals (often conveniently matching or spurring each other's upgrades) and even are destined to face and probably end the ancient feud between Senju/Uchiha. Naruto himself lampshades it at some point, commenting that had some events not happened, their positions may very well have been reversed.
- Shock and Awe: Chidori and numerous other techniques derived from it.
- Shoot the Hostage: Happens when he makes his Chidori blade go through Karin to reach Danzo.
- Signature Move: Chidori. Later on Susanoo and Blaze Release.
- Sliding Down The Slippery Slope: He was never fully sane or nice, but when he finds out about Itachi's real motives, he abandoned whatever moral standards and reason he had beforehand. By the time of the Kage conference, he is no longer above abandoning/sacrificing the rest of Hawk and indiscriminate murder to get his revenge.
- As of 627, he seems to be slowly clawing his way back up.
- The Stoic: Much more in part II where he constantly has a blank face. His moods are more diverse in Part I: annoyment, excitement, concern...
- Not So Stoic: Triggered by encountering: fear (first encounters with Zabuza and Orochimaru), rage (anything about the Uchiha), and so on. Probably the most poignant example, however, is how he just starts crying after he learns the truth of Itachi's motivations, especially considering how he showed almost no emotion throughout Part II before this point.
- Tranquil Fury: In his fight against Danzō. After getting him to admit the truth about how his family was murdered, he materializes his Susanoo, his face perfectly calm. His expression doesn't change when he crushes Danzo like an overripe fruit a minute later.
- Super Mode: Like everyone else which gains Naruto's cloak, his techniques are increased to a high level. For example: his Susano'o grows from barely 10 meters tall to about 118 and gains legs after receiving Naruto's chakra. With Jugo's help, he can create a Cursed Seal Susano'o for yet another Super Mode so he can damage Obito... and then he activates its Perfect form, giving it a nose and facial structure identical to Madara's Perfect Susanoo, and equips it to Naruto's Tailed Beast Mode.
- Super Reflexes: His first encounter with Rock Lee points out that he doesn't have this. He gains them through the course of the story.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Being an Uchiha, he definitely gets the Super Power Lottery of abilities, even possessed Orochimaru's One-Winged Angel as well as his abilities for a short while.
- Surrounded by Idiots: He really must have felt this way when the ninja girls, Sakura and Ino included, start to fangirl over him the first time they meet him.
- Survivor Guilt: It drove him insane, just ask Danzo or Karin.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: His One-Winged Angel and his sanity slippage brings out the ugly side of things.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Later, he turns Ax-Crazy.
- Tears of Remorse: After Tobi fills him in about Itachi's actions following their final showdown, which makes him realize big bro loved him all along. It is the first time Sasuke cries on screen, save for flashbacks.
- Thousand-Yard Stare: In flashbacks after the destruction of the Uchiha clan in Part I. In Part II, after Itachi's death.
- Took a Level in Badass: Between part 1 and part 2. It's difficult to say whether or not the Mangekyo Sharingan gave him one, but his Eternal Mangekyo certainly did.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Got noticeably dumber after Itachi died. He underestimated Killer Bee during their fight and nearly died three times. He barges into the Kage Summit taking on five well-renowned Kages without any sort of plan or even any knowledge of their abilities and again nearly dies several times. Even after his Heel-Face Turn, he still charged in at the Juubi, the progenitor of Narutoverse itself, to attack Obito without any sort of plan. Freakin' Naruto actually called him on this.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Starts as a Jerk with a Heart of Gold and slowly works his way down the queue as time passes. He wavers occasionally, but it never seems to stick.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Specifically averted, even after his Heel-Face Turn. He still acts like a massive tool to all of his former friends, even though he is now once again their ally, and rejected trying to save the other tailed beasts trapped inside the Ten-Tails, just wanting to fry it on the spot.
- Trauma Conga Line: Itachi's first Tsukiyomi, Itachi's second Tsukiyomi, the revelation of Itachi's true allegiance, and finding out that Danzo harvested his dead family members' bodies for their Sharingan ultimately drive Sasuke completely over the edge. Poor kid...
- Undying Loyalty: To his clan.
- After chapter 627, he finally embrace Itachi's will and sides with the Ninja Alliance against Madara to protect Konoha.
- The Unfettered: Part of his Character Development and an excellent example. Counting from his first encounter with Itachi, he slowly goes more and more insane, and this trope results, though his dedication to Juugo, Suigetsu and Karin prevents him from truly becoming this. It is only after he kills Danzo and abandons them that he really becomes The Unfettered. The trope's page reads like it was written for him!
- Ungrateful Bastard: As both the Leaf Village and Team Hawk find out. Not only did he leave all of his friends after all the time he'd spent with them, he also leaves Jugo and Suigetsu behind to be captured by the Samurai after they save him from the Third Raikage, and later shoots a Chidori through Karin after she heals him at the end of his fight with Danzo.
- Unwanted Harem: Just about every girl back at the Ninja Academy, Ino and Sakura included, practically drooled all over him whenever he was around.
- Unwitting Pawn: Thanks to Itachi's work when he was a kid and Sasuke's obssesion with revenge, it's quite easy to manipulate him. In addition to only intending to serve his own ends, even if he doesn't side with the good guys once he leaves them - or the bad guys fully - some of his actions end up being beneficial to them (killing Orochimaru, Deidara, Danzo and the original white Zetsu comes to mind).
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: He was an extremely sweet kid before Itachi murdered his family and tortured him by forcing him to relive their deaths for three days straight. Afterwards, he is... less nice.
- Was It Really Worth It?: Starts questioning his desire for revenge following his encounter with Edo Itachi.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Or Well Done Younger Brother Guy... both can apply really.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Although Sasuke still displays some fairly selfish traits after his Heel-Face Turn, he arguably qualifies as this. His new goal is to cast down the antiquated system that was the ultimate cause of his suffering and that of countless others, and he's willing to do anything, including destroying the Tailed Beasts, to do so.
- We Used to Be Friends: The patron saint of this. Not only with Naruto and Konoha, even his new allies who were ready to give their lives for him were quickly discarded.
- Wham Line: I will become Hokage.
- Wild Card: Mainly in Part II, but he is already one at the end of Part I.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Every time Sasuke gets a power-up, he grows increasingly more delusional and batshit crazy.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He becomes one after hearing the truth about Itachi.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness:
- Towards Orochimaru, no less! He did some research to defeat him.
- Later done to Suigetsu and Jugo. He thanks them for saving his life repeatedly by telling Karin to leave them behind when she expresses concern for them, just so he can have his shot at Danzo.
- Karin, while not taking direct part in the battle, is instrumental to Sasuke's victory over Danzo, and healed him from his earlier wounds to enable him to fight. When Danzo takes her hostage, Sasuke shoots them both with his Chidori. He tells her that she became a burden when she became a hostage.
- You Shall Not Pass: Proposed doing this to enable Naruto to escape with Sakura, but Naruto, his resolve restored, was able to defeat Gaara.
of Team 7. Naruto has a crush on her, while she has a crush on Sasuke
. Sakura herself is an intelligent, gifted kunoichi
from Konoha. Unlike most other ninja in the series, she has no unique skills of her own, using only standard ninja techniques and her brains. As a result, during the first part of the series she mostly sits on the sidelines or loses the ones she participates in. She concludes that she can't leave things like this, however, and after failing to prevent her friend and first love Sasuke's defection, apprentices herself to Princess Tsunade with the intent of no longer being a burden.
, Sakura has picked up Super Strength
and medical skills
courtesy of Tsunade's Training from Hell
, which turns her from The Load
to...well, pretty useful
. Hers is the first major fight of the new series, joining forces with Chiyo to defeat Akatsuki member Sasori in a drawn-out battle, and her healing skills are put to use for much of the series. Later, Sai calls her out on her accidental abuse of Naruto's dedication her, causing her to throw together a plan to "confess" to Naruto to get him to stop. From here, she takes a more active role in stopping Sasuke and other threats to people she cares about in hurting each other.
Her hobbies are playing trivia games and memorizing new material for her medical studies.
Favorite phrases: "A life with love throughout!" and "courage"
In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum.
Kakashi Hatake is a sneaky, snarky ninja who serves as sensei of Team 7, and also as The Big Guy
and The Smart Guy
. Prior to Team 7, he had failed every single
applicant who had come before him. He's one of the strongest ninja in Konoha, and is never seen without his dirty pornographic novel/manga.
Kakashi, for reasons that are at first unknown, has a Sharingan in his left eye, despite not being of the Uchiha (In a Gaiden prequel
story, the eye was revealed to have been transplanted from his deceased friend Obito Uchiha, one of Sasuke's relatives). Kakashi has mastered its use about as well as a non-Uchiha can, picking up the epithet "Copy Ninja". He knows dozens of techniques and uses them, but his only
unique jutsu is the Chidori (and its upgraded form, Raikiri), which electrifies his arm, allowing it to punch through anything. He learned the Rasengan from his former sensei, the Fourth Hokage.
, Naruto and Sakura's development causes Kakashi to serve less as a mentor and more as a comrade. He's somehow managed to pick up a variant of the Mangekyo Sharingan that differs from Itachi's, which he uses to crush Deidara's arm in the first arc. He still teaches Naruto, though, eventually helping him create a more powerful variant of the Rasengan.
In the Fourth Shinobi World War, he serves as the leader of the Third Division.
His hobby is reading (Icha Icha series).
Favorite word: "Teamwork"
- The Ace: Easily one of the most powerful ninja in Konoha. Even considered for Hokage on occasion!
- Broken Ace: Never quite got over Obito's death in the Kakashi Gaiden, which in turn showed that his father's disgrace and suicide still took a heavy toll on him some seven years after. Justified, since these took place when he was thirteen and six, respectively, in a verse where There Are No Therapists. Not to mention what happened to poor Rin right before his eyes...
- Achilles' Heel/Awesome, but Impractical: Kakashi, while he has an all around awesome skill-set, has massive stamina issues. This is exacerbated by his Sharigan, which expends even more of his chakra when used. Almost all of his major battles in the series has resulted him getting bed-ridden for over-expending his energy.
- Always Save the Girl: That first flashback of him killing Rin turned out to be very misleading. She actually wanted him to do it, but he point-blank refused despite the Mist's plans for her. She took matters into her own hands and jumped in front of his attack.
- And I Must Scream: He was the first in-series victim of the Mangekyo Sharingan's Tsukuyomi, in which Itachi crucified him and stabbed him repeatedly without letting him die. For three days. Without stopping...
- Made of Iron: An ordeal, during which, what Kakashi perceived as approximately one minute and forty-eight seconds (counting the time indicator from "I will stab you with a sword for 72 hours" to "71 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds remaining" was only one second. Meaning that the "three days" Kakashi experienced was, to him, closer to about one hundred and eight days. Even he was released from the genjutsu, he doesn't immediately pass out. He stays conscious long enough to realize how little time actually passed, and to hear Kisame express surprise that Kakashi is still alive. Mentally Made of Iron? You bet your ass.
- In chapter 649 he proves himself to be Made of Iron in all aspects, as we find him single handedly stitching up a large wound in his own side without flinching
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy : As a kid, he was obsessed with following the rules and living like an obedient toy soldier. Anyone who didn't train themselves to be an ideal ninja was out of step with the rest and a disgrace. It was brought on by a fear that deviating from the shinobi code would lead to ostracism, since his father Sakumo chose to put his comrade's lives above a mission. The Leaf ninja felt betrayed, because it is their master goal to ensure a success of a mission at all costs. Sakumo was chided viciously by his peers, and Driven to Suicide. Kakashi feared the same might happen to him. After Obito brought him to his senses and warned him it would pretty much strip him of his humanity to live like this, he broke out of it.
- Ass Shove: A THOUSAND YEARS OF DEATH!!!!
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Pretty good at figuring out the skills of dangerous opponents such as Zabuza, Kakuzu, Pain and Tobi.
- Back from the Dead: Gets killed and later revived by Pain
- Save for Naruto, he was the only ninja in Konoha who required the attention of more than one of Pain's bodies.
- This video clearly shows the many forms of Badass that is Kakashi.
- Badass Boast: "The "Copy Ninja" Kakashi, the man who copied one thousand techniques… is about to go on a rampage!"
- Badass Bookworm: Naruto calls him "as smart as Shikamaru", which, combined with his status as the most elite ninjutsu specialist in the Hidden Leaf, would make him this easily. Inverted with his actual choice of literature - Jiraiya's erotic novels.
- Badass Teacher
- Badass Transplant: His Sharingan.
- Four-Star Badass: As General of the Third Division
- Battle Aura: Gains one when Naruto gives him the refined, combined chakra that he and Kurama made. He commented that it's even stronger than the dose that Kurama had given him originally, which increased his power threefold. Now he has a Version 1 cloak like the rest of the alliance.
- Berserk Button: Kakashi REALLY hates Edo Tensei (Impure World Resurrection), a jutsu that revives the dead and forces them to fight for the user. He also hates Kabuto, in no small part due to his insistence on using it.
- It seems to come from a disdain of grave-robbing of his friends in general. He got set off when he realized that Tobi had to be using Obito's eye. The Irony of it all.
- BFS: Wields the Executioner's Blade in the 4th world war.
- Big Damn Heroes:He has a habit of joining fights by showing up out of nowhere to save his comrades.
- Break the Haughty: Happens in Kakashi Gaiden, when he gets the worst dose of cold reality you could believe.
- Broken Ace: So broken that his emotional damage is arguably almost completely responsible for the events OF THE ENTIRE MANGA. In-universe, Kakashi admits he is this to Sasuke in attempt to convince Sasuke that revenge isn't everything and that living with the pain of his losses, while difficult, is possible. It didn't work. Later, Kakashi tells Obito and Minato that losing Obito, Rin, and Minato all within the span of a year all but completely broke him, stating that there was nothing stopping him from completely sinking into despair but the fact that Obito entrusted his sharingan to him. Given the amount of characters that's turned to darker paths for similar reasons, it's kind of an eye-opener as to how close Kakashi could have been to completely losing himself as well.
- Broken Pedestal: His best friend Obito Uchiha who he originally thought was dead, and who was also the source of most of his ideals as an adult is now one of his greatest enemies.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: The first of many, many examples among the characters. See also Ass Shove, Lovable Sex Maniac, and Badass.
- Canine Companion: The Ninja Hounds.
- The Captain: Of Squad 7.
- Child Prodigy: Youngest Genin and Chunnin graduated at 5 and 6.
- The Comically Serious: Often his nonchalance is used in humor especially to contrast Guy.
- Cool Teacher: Team 7 was the first team that he ever passed, because they're the first one to catch his lesson on putting each other's safety ahead of the mission.
- Covert Pervert: He's obsessed with the "Icha Icha" series of adult novels, and gets embarrassed when caught reading them by others. Naruto once got the drop on him by pretending to spoiler one book's ending.
- Day in the Limelight: Kakashi Gaiden
- Deadpan Snarker: Always has a straight face. One would imagine the mask probably helps in this department.
- Despair Event Horizon: As of chapter 600, he's been slowly getting there with each progressing chapter, though Heroic Resolve seems to have kicked in.
- It's heavily implied that in the time between Minato's death and his appointment to Jonin Sensei of Team 7, he had one foot deep into the edge of the horizon. Whatever changed his mind is yet to be explored.
- Even the Guys Want Him: The few females and males who have seen him unmasked are, well, very impressed.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: His backstory can be summed up in this one trope. When Sasuke threatens to kill someone close to him so Kakashi can understand his pain, Kakashi replies that everyone he cares about is already dead.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: Given a sufficiently inexperienced opponent, he can fight with one hand and read pornographic novels (namely, the Icha Icha series written by Jiraiya) with the other. And is quite happy to demonstrate this ability.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Expy: Of Rikimaru from the Tenchu series.
- Eyepatch of Power: Normally covers his left eye with his headband. Underneath is his Sharingan. He hides it because unlike an Uchiha, Kakashi is incapable of turning it off at will. Only when facing a strong opponent does he uncover it.
- Failure Hero: How he sees himself after watching his childhood team die and failing to talk Sasuke out of defecting.
- Forgotten Phlebotinum: Kakashi's had the Mangekyo for twenty years. Sure woulda been handy against Orochimaru or Itachi. Granted, Kakashi fell unconscious the moment he unlocked it and didn't encounter another Mangekyo Sharingan user until he fought Itachi, so he might not have even realized he had one until then at the earliest.
- Alternatively: The use of the normal Sharingan drains a lot of chakra (he was out of commission for a few days after the first battle with Zabuza), the Mangekyou Sharingan requires even more chakra, so it's possible that he hadn't yet the stamina required to use it.
- Friendly Rivalry: Proud owner of the ultimate rivalry with Might Guy, lasting from their early teenhood, up into adulthood, and still very, very intense as they go over the hill, showing absolutely NO signs of slowing down.
- Generation Xerox: He was mentioned to greatly resemble his father Sakumo Hatake, Konoha's White Fang, which made his enemies tremble in fear of him even when he was just about 13 years of age, mistaking him for his father. Cut to many years after when he is already known as Kakashi of the Sharingan and you know the awesome is In the Blood. Further xerox-ing lays credibility that since the Third Hokage taught the original Sannin of Jiraiya, Orochimaru and Tsunade, and that since the villagers see him as temporary Hokage when Tsunade was in her coma, Kakashi is a generation Xerox of Sarutobi, the Third Hokage.
- He's also a generation xerox of Jiraiya. He lost his teacher, lost his student (to the dark side), his best friend turned into one of the most reviled criminals in history, and has a near pathological Heroic Self-Deprecation as well.
- And he is also one to Minato as well, especially considering that his team is basically a Generation Xerox of Minato's team. One of them went evil because Love Makes You Evil (Obito and Sasuke), one of them stayed with Konoha (Naruto and Kakashi), and one was a skilled medic-nin (Rin and Sakura).
- Guile Hero
- Henohenomoheji: Seen on Kakashi's decoy scarecrow in Episode 101 ("Gotta See! Gotta Know! Kakashi-Sensei's True Face!"), when Team 7 attempts to unveil Kakashi's true face. It's also featured on the backs of his 9 ninken (Ninja Hounds/Dogs) Summoning group.
- Heroic RROD: This happens to him a lot in part one - at one point, the others are surprised when he doesn't need a hospital trip after a fight. He can handle the Sharingan somewhat better in Shippuden, but still needs to watch his reserves carefully.
- I Let Rin Die: Specifically, he killed her himself...because she chose to jump in the way of his Raikiri rather than be a Trojan Horse.
- Informed Ability: Kakashi is a legendary ninja who has supposedly copied over a thousand jutsu. Nearly all of his opponents have talked about how dangerous he is when they first face him. Yet, we almost never get to see him go all out, and when he does get to battle he's usually forced to use up chakra protecting his peers. The worst example is probably when he took on the remaining zombified Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. It was implied to be an absolute Curb-Stomp Battle in his favour, but it happened entirely off-panel.
- In addition, Kakashi the Copy-Ninja has yet to ever actually copy any jutsu on-screen. In the Land of Waves Zabuza- and subsequently many fans- believed that he had somehow copied and reversed his Water jutsu at the exact moment Zabuza himself was using it, perhaps even before, but by the next battle Zabuza has realised that Kakashi simply used his Sharingan to implant ideas of what jutsu to use in Zabuza's mind, to freak him out, meaning every Water jutsu Zabuza used was already in Kakashi's arsenal. He might have copied Kakuzu's Iron Skin jutsu but if he has, he has yet to demonstrate it.
- Finally averted as of the latest arc. He takes on Obito, who, up until now, has served as the Big Bad for most of the story, in single combat and handily defeats him.
- Loose Lips: Accidentally leaked the classified information of Naruto's birth, unaware that Obito was listening in, or that he was even alive, at a visit to Rin's grave.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He's a big fan of Jiraiya's book series.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan and then later the Magenkyou Sharingan. It grants him the following abilities...
- Mask Power: NEVER seen without it. The only time his face was uncovered, it wasn't shown onscreen. An anime filler episode revolves around Team 7 trying to see under Kakashi's mask. When they finally get him to remove it in front of them, underneath is... another mask.
- On some covers he doesn't have it, but then his face is usually covered by his book or hand.
- Also, according to Pakkun, he hates being photographed without it.
- Meaningful Name: Kakashi means "scarecrow," and Hatake means "farmland or field." Both are an obvious reference to his tall and lean appearance. This also ties to his use of a Henohenomoheji logo on his summoned dogs and decoys. There's also the fact that real life ninjas often disguised themselves as poor farmers. Get's into Theme Naming when you consider his Dad's name could come from the the word Sakumotsu, which translates to "Crops".
- Mr. Exposition: In the first arc.
- Multilayer Façade: Kakashi is a literal case: he wears another mask under his mask.
- My Greatest Failure: Tends to dwell on this, especially regarding Obito, losing track of time at the Memorial Stone by reminding himself of how he has failed. And then there's the issue of his second team...
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: He inadvertently caused the Kyuubi incident by blabbing that Kurama's jinchuriki was gonna have a baby in front of Rin's grave, not realizing Obito was there as well.
- If we really want to blame him, blame him for resucing Obito.
- Non Chalant Dodge: The Trope picture
- No Mouth: Keeps his mouth concealed behind a mask at all times. Played with in the best filler of the anime.
- The Nose Knows: He is said to have a very good sense of smell. And he has a pack of trained canines.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: We first meet Kakashi as a goofy teacher who falls for one of Naruto's unbelievably idiotic pranks, but he soon reveals himself to be Badass. His enemies do know he's dangerous, and treat him as such, but he's FAR more dangerous than most of them have been led to believe.
- Obsolete Mentor: Averts this, despite being Worfed sometimes. He specifically mentions in one arc that he's still young and improving. In the fight against Tobi/Obito he's particularly important. He's not a Person of Mass Destruction like the main cast, but his shrewdness is still one of his greatest assets.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Kakashi vs The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Kakashi won apparently.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: While certainly a versatile, experienced and highly competent fighter, his battles have been somewhat a letdown compared to say Akatsuki, Orochimaru or the Kages. He also suffers a lot of The Worf Effect against this opponents, even more than Sasuke. A fairly common complaint is that he's hyped to be stronger than he is, especially in the Databooks, where he's hyped to be one of the most formidable shinobi alive. To his credit, however, those who Worf him tend to have attained a similar, if not greater Shrouded in Myth status.
- Parental Abandonment:His father Sakumo committed suicide when Kakashi was six-years old and his mother died before then.
- Red Baron: Kakashi has two famous nicknames first being Kakashi of the Sharingan, second being The Copy Ninja.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Might Guy's Red & Obito's Red.
- Sempai Kohai: Senpai to Yugao, Yamato and Sai (who considers him as such in the anime). Also Shizune addresses with the honorfic.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His Running Beast ability.
- Shock and Awe: Chidori, Raikiri/Lightning Blade, them lightning hounds, etc.
- Shrouded in Myth: See Red Baron. And just what the hell is behind that mask? Another mask.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Finally delivered one to Obito, pointing that he basically chose to ignore every feeling his friends could possibly have, quoting Obito himself. "And those who don't respect their comrades' memories...are the worst."
- Signature Move: Raikiri/Lightning Blade, similar to the Chidori only better.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: His bell test.
- Space Master: Can now use Kamui to get to and from the other dimension at will.
- The Stoic: Probably the hardest character to get a rise out of in the entire series, except where the Icha Icha series Or his dead best friend is concerned.
- Super Mode: His Version 1 Cloak that Naruto gave him.
- Team Dad: To Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke.
- Took a Level in Badass: It's more subtle than most of the cast, but think about it. The first time we see him go all-out using the Sharingan, summons, and a Raikiri is enough to tire him out. Post-time skip, he's somehow got a Mangekyo that can send stuff through another dimension, and against Kakuzu he's firing off Raikiri like cheap kunai and staying on his feet afterwards.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Obito's death made him realize how important it was to care for your comrades more.
- Tragic Keepsake: He kept his father's Tanto for a good bit, but his sharingan eye, which was transplanted into him from his dead best friend, Obito Uchiha is what really falls into this trope.
- Tranquil Fury: What happens when he truly gets pissed.
- Trauma Conga Line: Kakashi is by far the worst to get hit with this trope ever. Let's make a count, shall we? His best friend dies saving him and his other teammate, his sensei dies saving the village without him being able to do anything about it. He promised said best friend that he'd protect their other teammate, only to end up breaking the promise and killing her Then, one of his students pulls a Face-Heel Turn. Finally, it turns out his best friend is Not Quite Dead after all, and has become the Big Bad responsible for nearly everything that has happened in the manga, BECAUSE he killed Rin. Yeah, I think he suffered enough.
- Don't forget that he was already pretty traumatized before any of that happened. When he was 7 his father, whom he idolized, was ostracized by an entire village and ended up killing himself through seppuku before Kakashi's eyes. And we still don't know what happened to his mother, other than that she was under 30 when she died...
- True Companions: A firm believer in this concept.
- Unknown Rival: Guy is his, though it may be more that Kakashi does not want to acknowledge it. It turns out that he does acknowledge Guy as his true rival, and the scene that reveals this is pretty heartwarming.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom:
- He speaks about Naruto's birth at Rin's grave. Unfortunately, Obito happened to be watching.
- He abandoned his mission so that he could help Obito when they were kids, resulting in a crippled Obito ending up on Madara's doorstep setting off most of the plot.
- Weak, but Skilled: Kakashi's individual skill and jutsu is not weak per se - it's probably in the very top percentile of the shinobi world. However against the ridiculously overpowered villains of the Shippuden series like the Akatsuki, Pain and Tobi, Kakashi is forced to fall back on his natural wit and can be considered this - especially considering his lack of chakra for spamming his Signature Move.
- We Used to Be Friends: His best friend Obito is now a major contender in the contest to determine the most evil ninja of all time. Tune in tomorrow to find out the results!
- The Worf Effect: His only real victory has been against Zabuza. After that he's only been used to show how strong whatever enemy comes along is, often with him commenting about how much stronger than him they are. That said, he fares a lot better in team battles (against Akatsuki) contributing to victories over Deidara, Itachi (sort of—it's complicated), Hidan/Kakuzu and recently Tobi. Which makes quite a lot of sense when you remember "teamwork" is pretty much everything to the man.
- Though he seems to have finally left it behind in the current arc, going so far as to defeating Tobi, one of the Major BigBads of the series, in a one on one battle inside the Kamui dimension by shoving a Lightning Cutter through his chest leaving a gaping wide hole.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: He makes two, one before and one during his final duel with Obito, although the latter is an internal monologue. They both signify his acknowledgement of the fact that his former best friend must now be treated no differently than any other enemy.
- "In the ninja world, those who break the rules are trash. However, those who abandon their comrades are worse than trash. And the ones who abandon their friends' feelings are even worse than that. I won't get rid of your past feelings... even if it's you refusing them."
- Naruto...You will never lose your way. You're stronger than me, and you're unique in many ways. As for me, this is all I can do for know. I'll do what I must...In order to protect the old Obito, I must...kill the current one!
- Younger Than He Looks: Kakashi was 6 when he took the Chuunin Exams, but looked almost like a full grown teenager.
- You Remind Me of X: Kakashi remarked in the third Shippuden movie Inheritors of the Will of Fire that Naruto's ethic of protecting his friends solemnly reminds him of his late comrade Obito Uchiha, whose spiky hair and knuckleheaded determination Naruto mirrored perfectly.
A smile can get you out of a tough situation, even if it is fake.
Sai is... a jerk, to put it mildly. A ninja from the village of Konoha, pretty much all that is known about Sai is that he's a loner and that he has no family. He's a member of ANBU's Root Division, and first joins Team 7 in the second arc. "Sai", a type of three-pronged dagger, is probably a pseudonym, but who knows? Given Root's... special
methods of training, it might even be his real name.
As one might expect from someone who isn't around people much, Sai doesn't exactly make the greatest of first impressions on his teammates. Indeed, his first actions are to question Naruto's manhood, call Sakura ugly, and diss their former teammate Sasuke. Naruto flatly states that he'll only put up with Sai for Sasuke's sake. He claims to have no personality whatsoever — being polite or assholic is just a front for him.
A talented artist, Sai claims to have drawn several thousand pictures in his life, but, in keeping with his role as the hollow man, finds himself incapable of ever giving one a title. Sai uses his art in his jutsu. He has the ability to animate his drawings, creating creatures for attack or espionage, or generating clones out of ink.
It seems, however, that his purpose is more than just filling out Team 7. In reality, he was given the job by Danzo to assassinate Sasuke — a task which he's clearly unable to do. He has a change of heart and forms a genuine friendship with Naruto and Sakura, although he's very socially awkward
(which is often played for laughs
In the Fourth Shinobi World War, Sai was placed in the Ambush Division under Kankuro and alongside Omoi.
His hobbies are drawing and calligraphy.
Favorite word: "Comrades"
- Adorkable: Has a few shades of this after he starts genuinely showing interest in emotions and human interaction. The sixth Shippuden film took this and ran away with it.
- Advertised Extra: After his big introduction arc, being brought in as Sasuke's replacement and serving as Danzo's mole, you'd figure Sai would play a large role in the scheme of things? Save for one fight during the most recent arc he's been floating in the background.
- And I Must Scream: One of his latest techniques, named Sealing Technique: Stalking Predator Launch, consists of an animated drawing of a tiger which can attack the enemy and then go back in the drawing with him.
- Art Initiates Life: His ability the Cartoon Beast Mimicry; with it he paints ink creatures to assist him in battles including: Lions and tigers for attacking and sealing, birds for transportation and aerial assaults, snakes for binding enemies, rats for tracking and even The Two Benevolent Kings for brute force.
- Bare Your Midriff: A rare male example.
- Berserk Button: When Deidara blows up his brother and threatens to do it again and again. Then he insults Sai's art. To say that Sai was pissed is an understatement.
- Bishōnen: Like Sasuke before him, Sakura and Ino comment that Sai is quite pretty.
- Brutal Honesty: At first on account of his lack of social skills. Eventually, just out of genuine concern for his friends.
- Butt Monkey: In Filler, having No Social Skills made him good comedy material, sometimes getting beaten for an unsensitive statement.
- The Comically Serious: Zigzags between this and Deadpan Snarker. He can't fully understand humor due to his emotionless nature and lack of socialization, so it's hard to tell whether he's using Brutal Honesty, is snarking, or is genuinely confused or serious.
- Cool Sword: Specializes in long-ranged combat with his ninjutsu but is no slouch in taijutsu and swordfighting.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: His sealing jutsu is this in the anime.
- Deadpan Snarker: His only reaction to Konohamaru's "reverse" version of the Sexy Jutsu? "Ah. So that's me." More deadpan than snarker, other than insulting Naruto a few times early on.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Emotion Suppression: Being a member of a special ANBU branch, Sai has undergone a training that removed his emotions. It also left him with No Social Skills.
- Honorifics: Uses them on Naruto and Sakura at first, despite being quite rude to them in most other regards, but drops them when trying to become friends with them.
- Horse of a Different Color: His ability to surf on flying ink birds makes him one of the few flyers in the series.
- Identical Stranger: To Sasuke.
- Innocently Insensitive: Post-Character Development, he tries to become better friends with Naruto and Sakura, but genuinely thinks "ugly" is a good idea for a nickname, and that people always need to hear the truth.
- Jack of All Stats: According to the databook, his skill levels in the various aspects of being a ninja are actually not far from one another. They all range between 3 and 4 (inclusive) out of a maximum score of 5. This makes his skill set really balanced when compared to the majority of other characters in the franchise.
- Jerkass: At his beginnings, justified by No Social Skills. It progressively fades away with time, but Sai remains the one willing to bluntly tell the unpleasant truths.
- Mr. Fanservice: Skimpily dressed and has been acknowledged as being handsome in universe by both Sakura and Ino.
- Morality Pet: In a way, Naruto has become this to Sai. This would explain why he's openly distrustful towards Sasuke.
- Mysterious Past: We only know that he's been in the ANBU for a long time and he's got a dead brother.
- No Social Skills: In line with his the emotion suppression he went through, after breaking away from Root's teachings Sai primarily interacts with other and tries to befriend them through literal by the book methods, having been researching ways to make friends.
- Only One Name: Technically not his real one, but he prefers going by it.
- Out of Focus: After his big introductory arc, in which he became the new official member of Team 7, Sai hasn't had much to do at all. This is even more noticeable in the Anime during filler arcs, where Sai either stands in the background or doesn't appear at all.
- Paper Talisman: He can create paper bombs by the dozen by painting them.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Noted for being both good looking and eerie.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: No Social Skills — check, pale-skinned — check, Mysterious Past — check.
- Restraining Bolt: Has a seal on his tongue that prevents him from revealing any information about Danzo, though this disappears after said character's death.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: He can go toe-to-toe with S-Class criminals twice his age but needs a book that tells him how act tactfully and politely. This is explained as part of his training in Root, which kills emotions and empathy.
- Secret Keeper: For an unspecified length of time between his introductory arc and the aftermath of the Pain Arc, Sai knew about how Naruto had feelings for Sakura, but didn't feel as though he could tell her. However, Sai, knowing how hard Naruto was pushing himself for the sake of his promise to Sakura, decided to break his silence.
- Sempai Kohai: Considers Kakashi a senpai, as well as a nameless older member of Root.
- Smoke Out: Sai is very skilled with the body flicker technique, having an ink variant.
- Stepford Smiler: Smiles to please those he interacts with despite being emotionless.
- The Stoic: Due to years of of suppressing his emotions Sai is remarkably non-chalant and deadpan for most of his interactions, be they incredibly awkward, intense, or embarrassing.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Took a Level in Kindness
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Sakura for having Naruto promise to bring back Sasuke and expecting him to keep working at it when it's rather obvious Naruto loves her. He compares the binding of this promise to his own abuse at the hands of Root/Danzo.
I like being nice and friendly, but I don't have any problems with ruling by fear either.
Real Name: Tenzou
A member of ANBU, and one of Kakashi's juniors, he is made the temporary Captain of Team 7 while Kakashi recovers in the hospital. As he serves as more of a unit leader than a mentor, Naruto and Sakura call him "taichou"("Captain" or "Commander" in the English manga) instead of "sensei". The name "Yamato" (which means "spear") is actually a codename given to him by Tsunade; his real name is Tenzou. He very much prefers to be called Yamato.
As a child, Yamato was one of sixty infants that Orochimaru injected with the DNA of the First Hokage, trying to replicate the First's unique abilities. Fifty-nine died, and Orochimaru was forced to flee the village before learning that one subject — Yamato — had survived. As a result, Yamato can use the First Hokage's Wood Style jutsu, although not with the First's level of ability.
Yamato is a friendly, easygoing person. He prefers diplomacy over using threats when it comes to running his team, but he's not afraid to scare Naruto into doing what he wants. He notes that he's less indulgent than Kakashi is, and says that Naruto and Sakura should not be treated as ninjas in training who need protection, but as ninjas who will eventually have to support Konoha. It's revealed that he was selected as Captain for more than his Wood Style abilities — he is the only person in the village capable of using Enclosed Hermitage: Return to Society, which, in turn, is the only technique strong enough to contain Naruto's four-tailed Fox state. He later helps Naruto with his training, helping to prevent the fox's chakra from becoming dominant.
His hobby is reading books about architecture.
Favorite phrase: "Knocking on a stone bridge before crossing it"
- The Artifact: Started off as Kakashi's substitute as leader of Team 7 and the genetic clone of the first, allowing him to keep the Kyuubi in check. When Kakashi returns to active duty, Yamato's role get demoted to Kakashi's assistant in training Naruto. And then Naruto got full control over Kyuubi's chakra, making Yamato's function completely redundant.
- Butt Monkey: Kakashi tends to comically take advantage of him for little things like paying for meals while Naruto's recklessness is often played against his caution.
- The Captain: A temporary replacement for Kakashi, his true role is actually to look after Naruto.
- Child Prodigy: Ties with Kakashi with being the youngest Chunin at 6.
- Combination Attack: Has one with Naruto which combines his Water Style Tearing Torrent with Naruto's Wind Style Ransengan.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the interaction between Bee & Naruto leaves him speechless.
- Death Glare : His "ghoul eyes," although only Naruto seems to be scared by it.
- Demoted to Extra: Yamato's role and role has gotten smaller to the point Where he got Put on a Bus during the 4th World War and has not been mentioned since.
- Fate Worse than Death/Fridge Horror : So Yamato was abducted as a child and experimented upon by a creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist. He survives, goes on to become a fairly well-adjusted adult, only to be ultimately abducted yet again by another creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist (the protege of the first one, no less!). Oh and then it is strongly implied that after having vital information forcibly extracted from him, he will be used for endless experimentation again. Disturbing much?
- Green Thumb: His use of the wood techniques, which also require him to be able to control water and earth as well.
- Meaningful Name: Yamato may be named after Yamato Takeru, a legendary prince believed to be the first ninja. Tenzou means "heavenly creation" and refers to things created by nature, which fits with his wood powers.
- Satellite Character: Yamato was brought in as the substitute team leader of Team 7, was kidnapped as baby by Orochimaru and had his DNA manipulated to the point where he's the genetic clone of the First Hokage, and was a member of Anbu with Kakashi. On paper, all of that sounds like a lot of potential for a character. In reality, Yamato ended up being relegated to being Kakashi's assistant in training Naruto and being the Butt Monkey.
- Sempai Kohai: Kakashi is his senpai, and he once brings up this fact when trying to get him to pay for a meal.
- Stern Teacher: Contrasts his approach with Kakashi's on a few occasions, such as threatening to throw Naruto, Sakura and Sai in a cage together unless they start working better as a team, and saying that if an injured Naruto is unable to keep up with them, they could leave him behind.
- The Stoic: Typically calm and levelheaded, although he can be disturbed by shocking developments.
- Superpowerful Genetics: He was the only child to accept and survive the First Hokage's cells in Orochimaru's experiments and the only one who can use his highly coveted Wood Style jutsu. That is until Danzo and Zetsu are introduced anyway.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Just like Anko, Yamato got incapacitated early into the war and we haven't heard anything about him ever since.