Characters: Naruto-Other Leaf Village Members
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Naruto's loved ones
"Stop acting like a baby! You want to know what I really think of you?! I think you're one of my most precious students… and… you're like a little brother to me."
OK, he doesn't appear all that often, but to deny his impact on Naruto's life would be impossible.
Iruka is a Chunin, an academy instructor, and — at first — one of the only people willing to acknowledge Naruto as anything other than a hideous monster. This is largely because Naruto's childhood mirrored his own - both lost their parents at an early age, and both tried to cope by acting out and becoming goofballs. (Though it's stated that Iruka did
hate Naruto at first — his parents were killed by the Kyuubi, after all). It's this influence in Naruto's life that keeps him from becoming a psychotic killer — like, for example, Gaara.
Iruka appears rather infrequently in the plot, but remains incredibly beloved with the fandom. He figures pretty heavily into the first episode, where he fights Mizuki with Naruto, but later is reduced to a few cameo appearances. He's also involved in one of the filler arcs and actually gets to fight.
, he appears to welcome back Naruto to the village, then doesn't show up for a long
time. He finally reappears in Chapter 405, where he helps Naruto get over the death of Jiraiya. Pain attacks him during the second invasion of Konoha, but Kakashi saves him. During the Ninja War arc, he's sent to try and stop Naruto leaving the island, but decides to tell him the truth about the war, and is unable to prevent Naruto from running off.
His hobby is going to the hot springs.
Favorite word is "Reliance"
- Adaptational Badass: In most fanfics where he appears, he can track Naruto ANYWHERE, even when ANBU give up.
- All There in the Manual/Informed Ability: He's a chuunin academy teacher and possibly one of the most genuinely kind people in Konoha, but his overall stats reveal that he is more skilled than quite a few jounin and special jounin. He does, however, lose the fight against Mizuki, albeit largely as a result of Taking the Bullet leaving him weakened.
- Attention Whore: As a young boy, he would do ridiculous things like humiliate himself in front of his classmates for attention to cope with the loneliness of being an orphan.
- Badass Teacher: Dude threw himself in front of a giant ass shuriken in order to protect Naruto in the first chapter.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's an extremely laid-back and compassionate man in almost every appearance, but that all flies out the window when someone tries to hurt Naruto.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards his former or current students, especially Naruto.
- Character Development: Pretty decent amount for a minor character. In the beginning of the series, he had no problem requesting that none of the Rookie Nine be allowed to take the Chuunin exams while their teachers were present. He taught them all so he believed that he had a better idea of their strengths and weaknesses were. He didn't think any of them were prepared. Kakashi tells him rather matter-of-factly that they were not his students anymore but the members of Team 7 were his soldiers. Later on, he understands Kakashi's words for himself when he is able to be the one to congratulate Team 7 when they passed the second phase of the exams. In his most recent appearance, he appears to have come to terms with Naruto's growth as a shinobi through a letter to him wishing for his safe return.
- Cool Teacher: He's the only adult that Naruto interacted with regularly for much of his life prior to the start of the series that didn't treat Naruto like trash.
- Establishing Character Moment: He insists that Naruto is not allowed to go home until he cleans the monuments, but after Naruto sullenly points out that he has no one to go home to, offers to buy him ramen if he finishes.
- For Want of a Nail: If not for Iruka, Naruto could very well have ended up, in a worst case scenario, a murderous monster like Gaara initially was. Naruto even acknowledges this.
- Geometric Magic: We finally see him use a ninjutsu in chapter 535 and its a barrier seal but Naruto is able to escape easily.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Across his nose.
- Jerkass Ball: Is prone to holding one, whenever the graduation/Promotion and Naruto is in the same sentence. For example: in the anime, he screams "YOU FAIL," to Naruto after, his third attempt at graduating. During the team selection, he calls him dead last but fails to mention, Naruto defeating Mizuki.
- In Road To Ninja, he gets angry at Naruto for wanting a recommendation for a promotion.
- Like a Little Brother to Me: Towards Naruto. Frequently mixes into the fatherly domain as well.
- Meaningful Echo: 600 chapters into the manga, and the words and actions of Iruka in the very first chapter inspire Naruto and enable him to befriend Kurama, thus making Iruka partially responsible for rehabilitating a living mass of hate and turning it into a hero.
- Meaningful Name: "Umino Iruka" is a riff on "umi no iruka," or "sea dolphin." According to the filler episodes, he can use echolocation.
- Nice Guy: See Cool Teacher above.
- Nose Bleed: Gets these from Naruto's perverted jutsus, and Naruto nicknames him this at one point.
- Not So Different: He realizes that he and Naruto had very similar childhoods, and he thus is the first person to acknowledge him as more than just the Nine-Tails' host.
- Papa Wolf: To most of his students, but especially towards Naruto.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents were killed by the Nine-Tailed Fox.
- Parental Substitute: Naruto suggests that being with him is like having a father.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Though he initially looked at Naruto with contempt like the rest of the village, he quickly realized that Naruto was his own person and not the Nine-Tails.
- So Proud of You: To Naruto on numerous occasions as he grows and matures throughout the series, but especially after Jiraiya's death and Pain's invasion of Konoha.
- Stern Teacher: But also a kind one.
- Team Mom and Team Dad: More the former than the latter, though.
- Tsundere: Pegged as a Type B in fandom.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Iruka, like Naruto, enjoys ramen, with Ichiraku Ramen being his premier choice.
- You Shall Not Pass: To Naruto himself when he tries to leave the island and join the war. Naruto shrug it off, anyway
"Someone told me there's no shortcut on the path of a ninja!"
Grandson of the Third Hokage, nephew of Asuma; first introduced early in the series (second anime episode) as an 8-year-old privately tutored in ninja arts by self-described elite teacher Ebisu in this appearance; later on, he's a regular Academy student. His goal is to become Hokage — after
Naruto, whom he sees as a role model (addressing him as Naruto-niichan
). Usually appears with friends Udon (who has an udon
-like booger hanging from his nose) and self-described "cutest kunoichi in grade school" Moegi.
Generally, an appearance of Konohamaru in Part I is an indication you're watching Filler
, he's a genin under Ebisu-sensei along with Udon and Moegi.
Favorite phrase: "There are no short cuts on the road to Hokage!"
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Acts as this to Naruto who is his Big Brother Mentor.
- Badass Boast: "I am a genin of the Sarutobi clan, honored with the name of this village! Surname is Sarutobi! Given name is Konohamaru! Remember that!"
- Berserk Button: You can insult him, you can insult his clan, but insult Naruto and he'll Rasengan you.
- Blush Sticker: Before the Time Skip.
- Bratty Half-Pint: He starts out this way, but tones it down slightly after the timeskip.
- Energy Ball: Inherited Naruto's Rasengan.
- Flechette Storm: Inherits the Third Hokage's Shuriken Shadow Clone technique.
- Generation Xerox: In the anime he uses techniques from both his late Grandfather, Uncle and Naruto.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Like Naruto, he wears them as he would a headband until he makes Genin.
- Gonk: His first attempts at the Sexy Jutsu.
- Hero-Worshipper: He idolizes Naruto because he is the first person outside his immediate family who treats him like he actually wants to be treated (everyone else called him "Honorable Grandson" and gave him recognition for his grandfather, not himself). Additionally, Naruto taught him the value of working hard to escape a shadow you're caught in (his being the Third Hokage's, Naruto's being the Nine-Tailed Fox).
- Me's a Crowd: Inherits Naruto's Shadow Clone technique.
- Mobile Shrubbery: Used one pre-Shippuden with Moegi and Udon. It was kind of a running gag in the anime.
- My Name Is Sarutobi Konohamaru: And here's a Rasengan, Pain!
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Some of his disguises, like a perfectly rectangular rock with visible eyeholes that has gunpowder in it.
- Playing with Fire: Inherits Asuma's Burning Ash technique.
- Scarf of Asskicking: To the general effect of having one.
- Took a Level in Badass: He saves Ebisu's life by using his shadow clones and Rasengan to temporarily knock out one of Pain's bodies.
- Verbal Tic: "kore".
- Warrior Prince: Grandson of the Third Hokage.
"Thank you for letting me be your mother, and for letting Minato be your father. Thank you for being our son. Thank you… Thank you!"
Naruto's Missing Mom
. Originally from the Whirlpool country, she grew up in a time of very many wars before eventually coming to live in Konoha after her country was destroyed. Became Kurama's second jinchuuriki, after receiving it directly from the first one, the First Hokage's wife Mito Uzumaki; Tobi somehow discovered this and extracted Kurama from her, taking advantage of the fact that Kushina had just given birth to Naruto. She dies soon afterwards, but not before taking part in the defense of Konoha by helping Minato seal the fox (along with some of her own chakra) into their son. Over 16 years after her death, the sealed chakra comes into play when she appears inside Naruto's head to help him defeat Kurama and to explain the details of Kurama's attack, as well as just to finally bond with the son that tragedy prevented her from raising.
Her hobbies were pulling pranks and chatting.
Favorite phrase was "Don't give up until the very end"
- Action Mom: She even managed to survive having Kurama pulled out of her, albeit only briefly. She even took a freaking claw through the stomach and caught it on the way out to keep it from hitting Naruto.
- Barrier Maiden: Not only was the Kurama's seal made from her chakra, but she was also the former jinchuuriki of Kurama. More exactly, the second one: the first was Mito, member of her clan and the First Hokage's wife.
- Battle Couple: She and Minato definitely count, as they worked together to seal Kurama into Naruto and play the Thanatos Gambit that would take their lives and be so important for their village and their kid.
- Bully Hunter: In her youth.
- Chain Pain/Variable-Length Chain: Her specialty sealing jutsu's where themed around them.
- Force Field: She can generate a powerful barrier ninjutsu with her chains.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Minato knew each other as kids, and couldn't have been more than about 14 when they fell in love.
- Dead Person Conversation: With Naruto.
- Fiery Redhead: She beat up all the kids who called her "Tomato," thus earning her new "Red Hot-Blooded Habenero" nickname. She gave her own son a good thwack when he accused her of being Kurama's real form, too.
- Genius Ditz: She often acts ditzy or exactly like Naruto. But she also taught Minato many sealing techniques. The kind for which her country was destroyed because they were so feared.
- Gray Eyes: Though she doesn't exactly fit the associated personality types.
- Happily Married: To Minato.
- Hot-Blooded: It's even part of her nickname.
- I Am Not Pretty: Kushina actually apologizes to Naruto for inheriting her face instead of his father's, but Naruto is glad she's so pretty.
- Mama Bear: When the Nine-Tails tried to kill baby Naruto, Kushina threw herself in front of the fox so that its giant claw impaled her instead of her son, then grabbed the claw and physically stopped it from reaching Naruto. Keep in mind that she just gave birth and was slowly dying at that point.
- Missing Mom: But part of her personality was set inside the seal... somehow... so happy reunions all around!
- Motor Mouth: She's very talkative and chatting is actually one of her hobbies.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Red Hot-Blooded Habanero.
- Opposites Attract: With Minato.
- Posthumous Character: After Naruto suppresses the fox, she reveals that she's planning on rejoining Minato, indicating that she truly is dead. And this is confirmed later, as she fades away a while later.
- Punny Name: Uzumaki - Uzu means whirlpool.
- Rapunzel Hair: Part of her most defining feature in life.
- Red-Headed Stepchild: She was bullied when she was young because of her distinctive red hair.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She's a loud and Hot-Blooded Red to her husband's calm and mild Blue.
- Red String of Fate: In a metaphorical sense: strands of her red hair led Minato to find and rescue her. She came to not only appreciate her hair (hearing from him that he'd always considered it beautiful), but consider it the "red thread of fate" which led to them falling in love.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Minato when he rescued her from a group of Kumo-nin who had kidnapped her.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic Girl to Minato's Savvy Guy.
- Screaming Birth: Though to be fair, being a Jinchuuriki resulted in her pregnancy running ten months instead of the usual nine. Not to mention the fact that childbirth weakens the seal, meaning she had to hold the demon in while pushing her kid out.
- Screwy Squirrel: One of her hobbies is pulling pranks.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: She was the can until Naruto's birth.
- She Is All Grown Up: According to Tsunade, she grew into her looks.
- Tomboy: In her youth, where she was a lot more temperamental and beat people up for teasing or bullying her.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: May have been a rough-housing terror in her youth, but her husband's favorite food is her cooking.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Naruto got his love of ramen from her, though it is interesting to note that their favorite flavours of ramen differ. Namely Naruto's favorite is Miso Ramen with extra pork while Kushina likes Salt Ramen.
- Trail of Bread Crumbs: When kidnapped, she left behind a trail of her red hair, which is how Minato found her.
- Verbal Tic: "Dattebane!". She does it when flustered or excited, just like Naruto (though his is "Dattebayo").
- Wacky Cravings: Happened during a short flashback.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wore those when a teenager.
There are several Elders aside from the Hokage who make some of the decisions in Konoha. Although they rarely appear, their decisions direct Konoha and thus their impact is keenly felt. They were the ones who selected the Third's replacement. They were the ones who decided to have Itachi massacre the Uchiha Clan.
Tropes associated with them
Koharu Utatane and Homura Mitokado
Voice for Homura Mitokado: Hikaru Miyata (JP), Taira Kikumoto (young adult, JP), Beau Billingslea
Koharu Utatane is the woman. Really
Homura Mitokado is the man.
Both two are former teammates of the 3rd Hokage.
They display examples of:
- Badass Seniors: In a flashback, they contribute in throwing Kurama out of Konoha by force, through the Village Walls, standing in the front Line.
- Utatane is stated to be one of the few people able to put Tsunade in her place when she oversteps her authority.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: During the Battle of Kurama helped to throw by force the Demon out of Konoha.
- Eyes Always Shut: Koharu
- Government Conspiracy: Along with Danzo, they are the ones who ordered the Uchiha Massacre. Pretty much confirmed by Danzo.
- I Was Quite a Looker: You wouldn't know it now, but Koharu was hot in the old days. Not that she's a Gonk now, but...
- Reality Warper: Koharu in Filler. She shows the ability to alter matter to remove explosive tags.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: So far they have not shown any resentment for Naruto, Tsunade or even the Uchihas and seem to only care for the well being of Konoha... which means they can choose very harsh and brutal options, like wanting to put on a leash Naruto (Tsunade refused) or instigating the Uchiha Massacre to avoid a civil war. They later wanted to protect Naruto from Akatsuki by leaving him in a secret place. Not because they cared for him as a person, but to be sure the sole Tailed-Beast Host of the Leaf wouldn't be abducted.
"To be a shinobi is to sacrifice oneself. Closing your eyes to the sunlight, distinguishing yourself in the shadows. That is the true form of ninja."
A war hawk
. Ran opposite Sarutobi for the position of Third Hokage, but lost. Runs ANBU's Root Division, a secret-police-type division of Konoha's military which is zealously loyal to the village (or more accurately, zealously loyal to Danzo personally
). (According to Danzo, Root is the unseen support on which the Leaf depends — get it?)
May end up being quite a bit more important to the plot than his infrequent appearances would suggest (he didn't even appear until Shippuden
), as he's evidently been pulling strings behind the scenes for quite some time. He believes Konoha should rule by force, and resents the more diplomatic stances taken by the Third Hokage and his successors, which he believes softens the village's ninja and makes them weak.
As the sheer amount of whited out text under this one may indicate, he's a spoiler incarnate, so read at your own risk.It turns out that he wanted the position of Third Hokage so bad, that he secretly aligned himself with Hanzo of the Rain Village. After Pain's invasion is thwarted, he lambasts the citizens of Konoha, stating that the interconnected Hokages made the village weak (although all of the disasters that fell upon Konoha are directly or indirectly caused by him). As a result, he is named the acting Sixth Hokage in Tsunade's absence by the daimyo, but currently lacks the approval of the jonins needed to get the position permanently. He expects that if he can make the Kage Summit go well, they would have no choice but to give him full approval. He goes off to the summit with his bodyguards. He almost managed to get appointed leader of the alliance against Akatsuki on Mifune's advisement, but Ao interrupts, stating that Danzo's eye allows him a Mind Control dojutsu that is being used to influence Mifune's decision. He admits to it, claiming that he's fulfilling a need for the shinobi to unify for protection, then makes a veiled threat towards Ao. When Sasuke invades the meeting room, he takes it as an opportunity for his party to leave with Ao in pursuit.
Tobi manages to track him down, and after a brief battle with the bodyguards, Tobi disposes of them and brings out Sasuke to fight him, at which point Danzo reveals what's really under his bandages- his "collection" of Sharingan.
Despite Danzo's liberal use of the forbidden reality-warping jutsu Izanagi, he loses the battle, and in his dying moments activates a suicide technique in a final but failed attempt to kill both Sasuke and Tobi.
It's further revealed that his obsession with ninjas being strong stems from a inferiority complex that's been with him since before Hiruzen was selected as the 3rd Hokage and from his personal belief that a ninja should be prepared to sacrifice himself for the greater good — a belief he follows to the letter. It's also revealed that his rivalry with Sarutobi was less bitter than it seems to be.
His hobbies were appreciating famous pictures, and keeping diaries.
Favorite word: "fortitude"
- Aggressive Negotiations: Plans to sorta do this at the Kage Summit, using Shisui Uchiha's eye.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Almost became Hokage, after all.
- Badass Grandpa: Despite being over 70 years old, he was still very strong, putting up a strong fight against Sasuke.
- Badass Transplant: A dozen or so Sharingan eyes.
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Akatsuki and Orochimaru for Shippuden.
- Blow You Away: He knows several wind techniques, all of which involve Razor Wind or vacuum.
- Brainwashing For The Greater Good: One of the foundations of Root.
- Body Horror: It starts innocently enough - when Ao scans him with the Byakugan, we're told he's not only taken Shishui's eye, but his arm. Observe closely, and you can clearly see that Danzo has a second face hidden on his arm. And that's merely the beginning; his entire arm is dotted with Sharingan he's taken from dead Uchiha.
- The Chessmaster: Tricked Nono into going after Kabuto after turning him into a spy, manipulated Itachi into slaughtering the Uchiha clan in order to gain their eyes, and placed Sai in Orochimaru’s group in order to keep an eye on Sasuke and his former agents.
- The Corrupter: Indirect example as his actions are responsible for the Face-Heel Turn and fall of Sasuke, Itachi, Nagato, and the whole Akatsuki. While Hanzo was the culprit of the prime event regarding the later two, Danzo was an accomplice in the betrayal that led to said event, which makes him indirectly responsible. More directly, to all the members of ROOT, whose Training from Hell includes repeatedly being forced to battle one another to the death to kill their emotions. He would probably deny that any of this was corruption, though- in his mind, this is how ninja are supposed to be.
- And with chapter 583, we can now add Kabuto to that list.
- Corruption of a Minor: Tends to recruit children into an organization which deprives them of emotions and turns them into perfect soldiers.
- Determinator: Never gave up his dream of becoming Hokage. Utterly refuses to let go after his defeat at Sasuke's hands. Even badly wounded and with an arm lost, he tried to kill the latter and Tobi. One feels a bit sorry when his desperation technique doesn't even manage to hurt them.
- Doomed Moral Victor: His attempt to kill Sasuke and Tobi while he's dying fails, but he still destroys Shisui's eye, which pisses Tobi off.
- Eye Always Shut: Most of the time anyway.
- Eyepatch of Power: A bunch of bandages conceal a Sharingan, which he got from Shisui Uchiha.
- Fan Nickname: Probably within minutes of scans of chapter 475 hitting the Internet, Danzo's right arm was nicknamed "the Sharingarm".
- First Name Basis: Was the only character in-series to be this with Hiruzen Sarutobi, the 3rd Hokage.
- Flanderization: In fanfics, he is usually portrayed as an Evil Overlord wannabe just wanting to Take Over the World just because.
- Generation Xerox: He shares a lot of Tobirama's philosophies and ideals, such as the belief that shinobi should be emotionless, or at the very least suppress their feelings.
- Most of his actions and beliefs are shown to be similar to Madara Uchiha's during Madara's time as a Konoha ninja, they were both cynical and acted in secret to do what was needed to protect Konoha and both suppressed their emotions for the sake of the village.
- Genocide Backfire: Ordered the Uchiha Massacre, and years later was killed by the survivor.
- Geometric Magic: He seems very proficient in sealing techniques, including one that paralyzes the person it's on if they try to reveal certain information, and another that simply paralyzes a person as soon as it's activated.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: An X-shaped one on his chin.
- Green Thumb: Which he got as a result of the same Orochimaru experiment tested on Yamato. His doesn't work quite as well, though.
- Handicapped Badass: Seems this at first, with a bandaged eye and arm. Subverted, as he only pretended to be handicapped; both his arm and eye actually work, he just doesn't want to use them unnecessarily.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Danzo had a massive inferiority complex when he was younger, believing himself to be weak because he couldn't quite bring himself to be the first to volunteer to do potentialy life threatening tasks, and therefore in his eyes unable to live up to his father's example, or his own personal creed about self-sacrifice.
- Hour of Power: Each eye on his arm lets him use Izanagi for one minute. After that the eye goes blind instantly and closes forever.
- Human Resources: Has a "collection" of Sharingans, as well as Orochimaru's custom-made right arm with Hashirama's cells to keep them in, and views Sasuke and Tobi as prospective additions to same.
- Hypocrite: He expects ninjas to be self-sacrificing while he himself is too cowardly to do so himself and has never perform any self-sacrifice in his entire life (he merely pretends to be handicapped). It should be noted he hates himself for this and wishes he had the courage to give his life for his village. He does... in the Taking You with Me sense that he was going to die anyway, at least.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Though not quite as bishonen as some of the others, in a flashback he's revealed to have been quite good looking in his younger years.
- Jerkass Has a Point: At one point during his battle with Sasuke, he tells the latter that the truth about Itachi doesn't really matter to him so much as needing someone else (everyone in Konoha) to put his hatred on now that Itachi's dead. Unsurprisingly, this falls on deaf ears.
- The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort: An alternative take. Since he can revive himself thanks to Izanagi, Danzo doesn't bother with tricks or dodging moves for most of his fight against Sasuke. It almost looks like his strategy was simply "make him believe you're dead to catch him". It doesn't end well.
- Manipulative Bastard: Used Nono and Kabuto’s feelings for the orphanage so that they would act as spies for him, and manipulated Itachi into slaying his clan by preying on his love for his village.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: For all the critics of his actions and results, is clear that he deeply loved and wanted what was best for Konoha. Subverted in a sense- since he is one of the Elders and is perhaps the only guy in the entire village who actually preaches or believes this, it is he who decides what is Right and Wrong.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Acts he has committed in the past are responsible for the fall of Akatsuki, Itachi and Sasuke as well as being indirectly responsible for Kabuto's fall into darkness.
- No Ontological Inertia: The seal he put on each member of Root disappears when he dies.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Though he's not really goofy looking like Lee or the Tsuchikage, his face is still drawn in an incredibly different fashion than most other characters.
- Not So Different: His belief that a ninja should protect his village at all costs, his dream of becoming Hokage, and having to do things the hard way as opposed to being naturally gifted, makes for some eerie parallels between him and Naruto if one thinks about it.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Danzo has this written all over him. When first introduced he was well past his prime (being about the same age as the Third Hokage was)- with one eye, a missing arm and a walking cane. Cut to the Kage Summit arc where it is revealed that he's got a friggin' Sharingan and effortlessly wipes out a unit of mooks that attacks him, sheathing his sword in one of their heads to free up his hand so he can use jutsu. Later at the meeting we find out he has Mind Control powers, and then that he's not missing an arm, he just has an arm full of Sharingan eyes that allows him to shamelessly respawn as if the Naruto universe was some multiplayer first person shooter. Huh.
- The Only One: He believes he's the only person who can change the world for the better. Someone apparently forgot to tell him he was in a shonen series.
- Opt Out: When Pain attacked Konoha, he chose to avoid senselessly throwing his life away by charging in headfirst. Not only that, but he also attempted to make Naruto Opt Out by killing a messenger being sent to retrieve him, on the (totally accurate) basis that Naruto would be unable to stop Pain.
- Poisonous Friend: He believed himself to be this to Hiruzen, using Root "in the shadows" to protect Konoha (and maybe Hiruzen). At all costs. If he was right is a matter for debate.
- Power Incontinence: When he's on the brink of death he loses control of his Wood Release power, and has to rip off his arm before it engulfs him.
- Power Parasite: He merged ten Sharingans into his arm, including Shisui's Sharingan, which has the Mangekyo Sharingan and the famous illusions that Shishui gained from it. The arm itself belonged to Shisui, as well, and Danzo's managed to obtain Senju DNA, thereby granting access to Izanagi for himself. He uses them in conjunction when he fights Sasuke.
- Reality Warper: A partial form of this. He can use the technique "Izanagi" which evidently allows the user to remove the boundaries between reality and illusion, allowing the user to reinforce his vision of reality on himself. In doing so, the user can take any injury, even death, and deem it an illusion, but it can render user's attack as reality.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Believed that he and Sarutobi were this, saying that Sarutobi represented the leaves that grow in the sun while he himself represented the roots within the dark.
- Remember the New Guy: Shows up after the Time Skip. Subverted in that the younger characters really don't know who he is- the main continuity issue is where the hell he was when Orochimaru attacked the village, but that could be Hand Waved without too much difficulty, given how much he prefers to operate in the shadows. He could even simply have been elsewhere at the time. He actually allied himself with Orochimaru, so it makes sense that he would get the hell out of there.
- The Rival: To Sarutobi, who Danzo felt was better than he was, and always tried to surpass him, though it didn't stop him from respecting Sarutobi deep down (he was even on a First Name Basis with Sarutobi which says a lot).
- Rival Turned Well Intentioned Extremist: Danzo used to be Sarutobi's rival, but also respected him. However, as he grew older, their rivalry became much more bitter over time, at least on Danzo's end.
- Unknown Rival: Sarutobi apparently never even knew that Danzo felt this way about him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Sasuke throughout their fight. Falls on deaf ears.
- The Starscream: Implied to have had a hand in Orochimaru's invasion of Konoha so he could seize the position of Hokage for himself. Left the Hidden Leaf to its destruction in Pain's invasion to seize the position after the ashes. Allied with Hanzo in order to get the Hokage position (though how he intended to use this alliance remains extremely blurry).
- The Stoic: "Emotions generate hatred and hatred breeds conflict."
- Not So Stoic: When it's suggested Kakashi be appointed Sixth Hokage ahead of him he immediately flies into a rant about how the Third Hokage's teaching have left the village weak and lead to all its trouble. In spite of his own beliefs, this one display of emotion was what finally got him the position he had been seeking for years.
- That or him finally being in a position to mind-woogie the Fire Daimyo with his implanted eye without being noticed.
- Taking You with Me: Does a last-ditch attempt of this on Sasuke and Tobi before he dies, to no effect.
- Though to be fair he does at least succeed in preventing Tobi from getting Shisui's eye, so it wasn't a complete waste.
- Tomato Surprise
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: Subverted, as he would certainly like to make major changes (especially involving Naruto), but he knows this would make him unpopular (and make him lose his position), so avoids making decisions that might prove unpopular.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: He legitimately wants to bring peace to the ninja world and believes he can do so if he's in charge. Unfortunately he gives little consideration to ethics and won't hesitate to kill anyone in the way of his goals or otherwise Shoot the Dog.
- Walking Spoiler: As has already been stated, he is a spoiler brought to life (most likely with some Uchiha's jutsu).
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: A bit more on the extreme side than some, but there's no doubt that he thinks that he has Konoha's best interest at heart.
- Why Won't You Die?: Although he effectively died more or less ten times during his fight against Sasuke. Justified thanks to his Reality Warper powers.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: What he did to Nono and tried to do to Kabuto.
Chunin Exam Proctors
Head of Konoha's Interrogation Department, and very good
at what he does. His name alone is enough to scare people. First appeared as the proctor of the written part of the Chunnin Exam. Since then he shows up whenever Konoha needs to make a prisoner talk.
His hobby is suggestive interrogation.
Favorite word: "Truth"
- Aloof Big Brother: A filler arc showed he had a little brother, Idate, whom he failed with a different version of the Chunnin Exam. The brothers have also been estranged for quite some time, although Ibiki still keeps track of Idate's movements outside the village.
- Badass Long Coat: His
- Break Them by Talking: This is his job.
- Bald of Awesome: Though in his case, it's combined with...
- Exalted Torturer: He specializes in torture in order to get information for the good guys.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: See above image. 'Good guy' scars over his lip and cheek. The thing is, that's only two of them. The rest are under his bandanna.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Towards his younger brother and possibly Naruto after he passed the hidden test.
- Hidden Purpose Test: Double layered. An actual written exam with a hidden purpose that itself hides a second test.
- I Was Quite a Looker: As the cover of Chapter 604 reveals
- Mind Rape: The "mundane" variety is his favorite interrogation tool.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: The scars on his head represent the mental torture he underwent years back along with the burns he received from saving his little brother.
- Please Keep Your Hat On: The scars on his head are so horrible that everyone shudders when he takes off his bandanna. He's the one providing the top image, ffs!
- Sadistic Choice: Subverted. See Hidden Purpose Test.
- Spartan Sibling: It's alluded to that Ibiki was some degree of this prior to Idate's exile. He did pull a Knight Templar Big Brother when he found out Idate's Manipulative Bastard instructor had tricked and used him, but it was already too late by that point.
- Torture Cellar: Can trap his enemies in one with Summon Magic.
"Heads up, boys and girls, this is no time to be celebrating! I'll be your next proctor. Anko Mitarashi. You ready for the second test? Good! Then let's go, follow me!"
A spunky, boisterous Action Girl
, Anko is without a doubt best known in the fandom for her Badass Longcoat
(which she wears very little
underneath) and her Dark and Troubled Past
- she was a student of Orochimaru and he abandoned her... but not until AFTER he branded her with a Cursed Seal to try and see if it would kill people that were given it. It did, and she was the only one to survive. Most of her appearances have her eating her Trademark Favorite Food
, which is basically a stick with dumplings on it made from rice paste. She has a Punny Name
, too - both her first and last names are dango toppings.
, she was tasked with tracking the movements of Kabuto. Just as the Fourth Great Ninja War started, she was attacked and defeated by Kabuto
She likes conducting tea ceremonies as a hobby.
Favorite phrase: "Calling on"
- Action Girl: Lost the two fights she was in (first was Orochimaru and second against Kabuto), but held her own as much as she could against both of her opponents.
- Adaptation Expansion: Her background is explained further in a filler arc, where it's revealed that she wasn't tossed aside by Orochimaru, but that she left on her own.
- Big Eater: She ate at least 40 sticks of dango in one sitting. Girl loves her dango.
- Blood Lust: Her first two scenes establish that she has a flair for the dramatic - and a really creepy fascination with blood. As in, she cuts Naruto's cheek and then licks it off. Poor kid.
- Boisterous Bruiser: She's outgoing and playful, but somewhat mischievous and rather hyperactive.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's basically a female Naruto, except more studious - hence why she's an Exam Procter.
- Dynamic Entry: That's how she first appeared.
- Establishing Character Moment: Interrupted Ibiki Morino's part of the exam by breaking through the window. You can read the quote right at the top of her page; the rest of the class was understandably weirded out.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Pupil-less.
- Flanderization: In fanfics is usually portrayed as a someone who Really Gets Around and will go after Anything That Moves.
- Genki Girl: Ibiki lampshades it when she first appears.
- Hidden Depths: Her hobby is conducting Tea Ceremonies.
- The Lad-ette: Very much so, but with a more cocky, boisterous outlook.
- Meaningful Name/Punny Name: Mitarashi and anko are dango toppings. Guess what her favorite food is.
- Ms. Fanservice: One of the most recognizable ones in this series to date.
- No Sense of Personal Space: She got really close to Naruto when they first met.
- The Other Darrin: Anko has had an astounding three voice actresses - Julianne Buescher for her initial appearance, Laura Bailey during the filler arcs and some video games, and Kari Wahlgren in her other video game appearances.
- Out of Focus: She was used and betrayed by Orochimaru, so you might think she would get her revenge, right? Wrong, Sasuke got to him. Also, she seems like an interesting and dramatic character, so you might think they would explore her a bit more, right? WRONG, she's a side-character, and most of her supposedly genius skills, which made Orochimaru interested in her in first place, are mostly obscured! When she discovered Kabuto's hiding place, you might think she can do justice to her fame and defeat Kabutochimaru, right? WRONG AGAIN! She is captured, bound, and has her Curse Mark power slowly drained by Kabuto.
- Power Tattoo: Like Sasuke, she had the Cursed Seal of Heaven, though she lacked the will necessary to use it and it was later removed by Sasuke to resurrect Orochimaru.
- Sexy Mentor: Well, she's technically a teacher, and she's sexy. Also, see the following entry and look at the Ms. Fanservice label.
- Shotacon: There was an instance in Part I where she threw a kunai at Naruto, teleported behind him as his cheek bled, held him close, and asked him while stroking his face, "You tough enough to handle this? You're not afraid are you? Tough guys like you usually leave their blood all over this forest." She then licked the blood from his face. "Spilling that delicious blood that I like so much..." Remember that Anko was 24 years old and Naruto was 12 years old then.
- Snakes Are Sexy: Contrasting nicely with her mentor Orochimaru's evil snake motif.
- Stripperiffic: Yeah, only a miniskirt, longcoat, and wire mesh/chainmail covering from her neck down to her thighs. How her outfit manages to actually conceal anything is a mystery that really could only be explained by genjutsu.
- The Tease: Remember, she did scratch Naruto's face with a knife and licked the blood off his cheek. Also, her outfit is pretty distracting.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Dango but of course, which even provide the inspiration for her name ("mitarashi" is a dango seasoning).
- Vapor Wear: Well, given her outfit, it seems like she's not wearing a bra.
- You Taste Delicious: Did this to Naruto once.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Mild example. For reference.◊
The proctor for the preliminaries of the Third Chunin Exam, who is responsible for determining the winners for the fights and ending them when one person is unable to continue. He stumbles upon Kabuto meeting with Baki to discuss the Sand Village participating in the invasion of Konoha, and Baki kills him for it. His lover Yugao finds his katana and swears to avenge him.
When the main match of the Third Exam begins, he's been replaced by fellow jonin Genma Shiranui.
- Back from the Dead: In the Chikara anime only arc, while Kabuto is still experimenting with Edo Tensei. He then shows up for a filler episode in the war arc as one of Kabuto's zombies.
- Handicapped Badass: Implied - he moves with astounding speed to stop Neji from killing Hinata, and he's able to damage Baki's jacket (which mightn't seem impressive, but he was at a disadvantage in the fight). Baki actually praises Hayate's skills and wonders whether all Konoha ninja are this talented.
Tropes that apply to the team in general:
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: A male example. Inoichi is the blond, Shikaku is the dark-haired one, and Choza is the redhead.
- Cool Old Guy: Though they're not THAT old.
- Generation Xerox: Shikaku looks almost exactly like his son, albeit with more scars and facial hair. Similarly, his relationship with Choza and Inoichi is a copy of the past 14 generations of their three families (and their own children make 16). Inoichi is a genderflipped example; had Ino been a male, he would look like a younger Inoichi; Choza, meanwhile, looks like a larger, more masculine, red-haired version of Choji, albeit with different facial markings and eyes that are nearly always shut.
- Good Parents: All three of them have good relationships with their kids.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Maybe not as much as their sons, but Choza and Shikaku display traits of this. Shikaku might not wear blue, but he's generally calm, fiercely intelligent, a respected and trusted strategist, and a long-range fighter. Choza, meanwhile, is the most physical of the trio (and in the Ninja War arc, he's the only one on the frontlines), fights at close to mid-range, and although he's not as emotional as his son, he has his moments. Not to mention he has the appropriate hair colour.
- Sacrificial Lion: As of Chapter 613, Choza is the only member of the trio left.
Voiced By: Hiroshi Yanaka (JP), Jonathan Fahn (EN)
Shikamaru's father and the Jonin Commander of Konoha. During the Ninja War arc, he acts as Tsunade's right-hand man and is in charge of planning and co-ordinating attacks for the entire army. As of chapter 613, he has been killed by the Ten Tails' destruction of the Allied Shinobi Forces HQ, along with Ao and Inoichi
His hobby was looking after deer.
- Ascended Extra: He's gotten a more prominent role during the war against Obito and Madara.
- Badass Bookworm: Well, he is Shikamaru's father.
- Commanding Coolness: he's the Jounin Commander of Konoha and Tsunade's right-hand man, famed for his strategic abilities. When Tsunade goes out onto the battlefield, Shikaku takes charge back at HQ and gives his final orders to the Alliance when he realises HQ is going to be bombed. Even foreign ninja such as the Raikage are impressed.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Like his son. Their family's secret jutsu makes use of Casting a Shadow and Shadow Pin.
- Face Death with Dignity: His reaction to Madara launching an attack at the Shinobi Alliance HQ is to calmly accept that he and everyone else around him is going to die and tell everyone via mind link his last strategy to take down the Juubi.
- I'll Tell You When I've Had Enough!: This reaction to his son made him come across as somewhat of an alcoholic, in his first appearance.
- Passing the Torch: Passes on the position as the Alliance's Chief Strategist to his son moments before his death
- Porn Stash: Just before he dies, he tells Shikamaru to get rid of something in a wooden box on a bookshelf. Whatever it is, Shikaku is quite ashamed of its contents, so the effect is the same.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Was the one to decide to let Naruto talk to Pain alone, when he saw how important it was to him.
- Sacrificial Lion: Madara's reaction to the Shinobi alliance attacking the mind of the Juubi is to attack the minds of the Shinobi Alliance - Namely Shikaku and men linking him to the rest of the Shinobi Alliance. He's among the first casualties of the Ten-Tails' second form.
- Smart People Play Chess: Can even beat Shikamaru at shogi.
- The Strategist: He the strategist for the entire Shinobi Alliance. He also manages to plan an attack using the entire army against Madara, Obito, and the Jyuubi, in only about a minute.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Shikamaru, calling him a spineless coward when the latter decides he wants to give up being a shinobi after failing to retrieve Sasuke, resulting in Neji and Chouji being brought back in critical condition. He says his friends will still go on missions without him, and without him, they might not survive.
Ino's father and a member of the Konoha Interrogation Unit. In the Ninja War arc, he leads the Intelligence Division and acts as one of the main points of communication via his telepathic abilities. As of chapter 613, he has been killed by the Ten Tails' destruction of the Allied Shinobi Forces HQ, along with Ao and Shikaku
His hobby was cultivating flowers.
- Ascended Extra: He's gotten a more prominent role during the war against Obito and Madara.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: He could give Guy and Lee a run for their money.
- Face Death with Dignity: His reaction to Madara launching an attack at the Shinobi Alliance HQ is to calmly accept that he and everyone else around him is going to die and help tell everyone via mind link Shikaku's last strategy to take down the Juubi.
- Sacrificial Lion: Madara's reaction to the Shinobi alliance attacking the mind of the Juubi is to attack the minds of the Shinobi Alliance - Namely Shikaku and the men linking him to the Shinobi Alliance. He's among the first casulties of the Ten-Tails' second form.
- Mind Probe: Complete with raiding the Neuro-Vault.
- Mission Control: He acts as this during The fourth great shinobi war.
- Passing the Torch: Does this to Ino just before his death.
- People Puppets: The Mind Body Disturbance Technique takes control of an enemy's body without transferring your own consciousness, making it a lot less risky than the Mind Body Switch Technique.
- Telepathy: Another part of the Yamanaka clan specialty.
Voiced By: Nobuaki Fukuda (JP), Michael Sorich (EN)
Choji's father and head of the Akimichi clan. During the Ninja War arc, he is placed in the First Division alongside Darui, Tenten, and Hiashi Hyuuga.
His hobby is visiting all-you-can-eat shops.
The Hyuuga clan
Tropes applying to the Hyuga Clan as a whole:
- Alliterative Name: Very common among the clan.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: There is in fighting withing the clan's Branch Family and Main Family though they are ultimately all bound together in a strong sense of duty and pride. Though compared to the Uchiha, they aren't nearly as screwed up especially with the truth of the Uchiha Massacre
- Exotic Eye Designs: Due to having...
- Hufflepuff House: The Hyuugas are an extensive and important family in Konoha, but you wouldn't know it to look at them. The Uchiha clan is down to two members and it still has more influence over everyone and everything in the setting than the Hyuuga clan does. Their Byakugan was part of the "Three Great Doujutsu" along with the Sharingan and Rinnegan, but thanks to the Sharingan gaining about five thousand new abilities since this was brought up (including the fact that the Rinnegan is just a powered up Sharingan), it has had no relevance to the story beyond a one-time use by Neji to find Gaara after Deidara kidnapped him.
- Magical Eye: The Byakugan's powers include...
- Praetorian Guard: The Branch Family who are sworn by their lives to protect the Main Family who governs the clan.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Gentle Fist which provides examples of...
- Kimono Is Traditional: Standard outfit for pretty much every member of the clan we see is a plain kimono unless they are in uniform or training.
- Superpowerful Genetics: All the Supernatural Martial Arts and Magical Eye abilites are granted by these.
Voiced By: Eizou Tsuda (JP), John Demita (EN), José Luis Orozco (Latin America)
Hiashi Hyūga (日向ヒアシ, Hyūga Hiashi) is the head of the Hyūga clan. He is also the father of Hinata and Hanabi Hyūga, as well as the older twin brother of the late Hizashi Hyūga, and the paternal uncle of Neji Hyūga. Born as the eldest of the twin sons of the former leader, the ruthless traditions of the clan and a tragedy that happened later would make him very, very
bitter... in the Ninja War arc, he is placed in the First Division alongside Darui, Choza Akimichi and Tenten, and ends up having to fight his brother, who has been brought back as a zombie via Edo Tensei.
His hobbies are playing Go and shoga which is a field of art that combines calligraphy and painting. It is considered a very important skill for classic literati.
Favorite phrase: "Steadfast and unswerving"
- Abusive Parent: To Hinata. Things have started to get better now, though, if his talk with Edo-Tensei!Hizashi is a good sign, as he points out that Hinata and Neji are fighting against their fates.
- Parents as People: He was an ass, yeah, but the situation that led him to being an ass weren't exactly easy. And as said before, he gets better later.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: When it came to gaining Neji's forgiveness.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the invading Sound ninja painfully find out.
- Badass: It is not every man who can reflect the attacks of an Eldritch Abomination.
- Cain and Abel: With his twin younger brother Hizashi, due to the inner politics of the Hyuuga clan. Subverted later.
- Conservationof Ninjutsu: See Just One Man
- Flanderization: Can be victim to this in fanfics, which often ignore some of his more sympathetic traits.
- Geometric Magic: Is in charge of the Caged Bird Seal.
- Hot Dad.
- It's All My Fault: "My apologies Hizashi, I let Neji die."
- Just One Man: Near the end of the Invasion of Konoha arc, around 20 Sand Ninjas surround him and remark that he's just one man. Hiashi then defeats them all with a very large Rotation jutsu
- KneelBeforeNeji: Goes on his knees and begs for Neji's forgiveness when he tells him the truth over his father's death.
- Lethal Harmless Powers: His Kaiten (a defensive spinning technique) can send the attackers flying with lethal force.
- The Man Wearing The Leadership Mask: He's the head of the Hyuuga clan's main family (of Konoha's upper class) and, when we first meet him, he appears to be a very strict, stern-looking man and a Well Done Daughter Guy for his daughter Hinata. However, it's later revealed that he's been carrying around massive inner grief for the Heroic Sacrifice pulled over a decade earlier by his twin brother (who was delegated into the clan's branch family because Hiashi was born first) and the rift between both sides of the clan exacerbated by such terrible circumstances.
- Papa Wolf: He did kill that Cloud Ninja who attempted to capture Hinata.
- Secret Keeper: Hid what truly happened with Hizashi, in hopes to tell Neji when he was Older and Wiser.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Had he been truthful earlier, maybe Neji would've been somewhat less of a bitter Jerk Ass... Then again, if he had been truthful from the start, Neji wouldn't have believed him at first; in the manga (when Hizashi didn't leave a letter behind), Neji tells him that the story sounds convenient, and Hiashi says he wanted to wait until he could listen to him as an uncle rather than head of the family.
- Screw Destiny: What he tells to the Edo-tensei-revived!Hizashi in 526.
- Super Mode:Gains a chakra cloak from Naruto that greatly increases his power
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: When he tells Neji what truly happened with Hizashi
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- This Is Gonna Suck: When he sees wooden spikes heading toward Hinata and Naruto, with neither Hinata nor Neji able to knock them out of the air. Neji manages to block them... with his body.
- Took a Level in Kindness
Voiced By: Kazuaki Ito (JP), John Demita (EN), José Luis Orozco (Latin America)
Twin younger brother of Hiashi, and a member of the branch house. Very, very
bitter towards his older twin because of that, and presumed to have been sacrificed for Hiashi after a terrible incident. Things weren't so black and white in the end: Hizashi willingly sacrificed himself for his brother, as his way to Screw Destiny. Resurrected by Kabuto via Edo Tensei. Now he's fighting Hiashi himself.
- Abusive Parents: It's revealed in the databook the Hyuuga Elder who he conspired with to be killed in his brother's place was Hiashi and Hizashi's father.
- Back from the Dead: Kabuto resurrects him with Edo Tensei and makes him fight his brother.
- Cain and Abel: With his twin older brother Hiashi, due to the inner politics of the Hyuuga clan. Subverted later: he was bitter, but deep down still cared.
- Facial Markings: The branch house mark on his forehead. Also a sort-of leash on him, as it can be activated and cause him horrible pain if he's suspected of being rebellious.
- Generation Xerox: Neji also dies protecting a Main Family member, and his last thoughts are addressing his father, realizing what it means to choose death for your comrades
- Heroic Sacrifice: What his death truly was, since he willingly died for Hiashi (as his brother) and the village.
- Hot Dad: He's Neji's dad. For many, this is all the reason they need.
- Posthumous Character: Subverted now. Damn it, Kabuto.
- Restraining Bolt: The seal on his forehead.
- Screw Destiny/You Can't Fight Fate: A constant theme for him and Neji. He died willingly to prove the first one, then said the latter when revived and Hiashi replied with the first.
Hinata's younger sister. Other than that, little is known about her.
Her hobby is training with her father.
The Uchiha Clan
Tropes that apply to the Uchiha Clan as a whole.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Big time.
- Dirty Cop: It is said their status of being the law within the village boosted the clan's ego and eventually they used their status as the Military Police to help disguise that they where planning a coup on the Leaf Village.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Sharingan, especially when they get into their Mangekyo stages.
- Eye Color Change: The Sharingan is a hereditary superpower of the Uchiha clan that allows for Awesomeness by Analysis and causes a distinctive change in the eye when used; a more advanced version exists that has a different look. Both are unlocked by traumatic experiences.
- Family Eye Resemblance: Most of them have the Sharingan eye.
- The Gift: The Sharingan makes them prodigies in ninjutsu, taijutsu and genjutsu; also, it drives them more and more insane as they continue to lose bonds
- High Collar of Doom/Collared by Fashion
- Historical Hero Upgrade: The true nature of their massacre was never revealed to the village. To the village, they died as victims at the hands of the traitorous Itachi. In actuality, they were planning a rebellion against the village, and Itachi assassinated them before they could initiate their coup.
- In the Blood: Tobi calls them "a clan destined for revenge". For generations, they've kept on having grudges.
- Considering that Tobi/Obito is an Uchiha, it says a lot. Especially since he was, at one point, the most decent of all of them, and he ended harboring hatred for both Konoha and the Clan, and tried to destroy both. He only succeeded with the Clan. Why is this so meaningful? Just look below.
- It's All About Me: With the exception of Kagami, Shisui, Itachi (to a lesser extent) and a few unnamed others, this is the defining trait of the clan.
- Love Makes You Evil: As stated by Senju Tobirama, the 2nd Hokage, the Uchiha treasured love and friendship even more than their own clan. However, because this is a part of them they regularly conceal, an Uchiha's love turns into hatred the moment they lose the ones they hold dear, thus being their ultimate downfall. When an Uchiha witnesses and/or suffers the death of a loved one, the brain releases the hormone which awakens the Sharingan. It is literally born out of the hatred born out of that loss. The deeper an Uchiha delves into that hatred, the stronger the Sharingan gets, and the more damaged mentally they are. It explains Sasuke's deteriorating sanity and Tobi's loss of idealism and empathy. Madara, who the 1st Hokage remarked had loved his brother Izuna as much as, if not more than, Itachi had loved Sasuke, is heavily implied to be as he is because of Izuna's death. Tobi, aka Obito, developed a fully matured Sharingan, and a mere moment later, a Mangekyo Sharingan after witnessing the death of his childhood crush Rin. It led him to follow through with an Assimilation Plot.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan which (supposedly only occurs in select members of the clan) gave them the following abilities...
- Aura Vision: Allows the user to differentiate Chakra natures via colors.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Gain the ability to predict an opponent's attack.
- Hypnotic Eyes: They can trap their enemies in powerful genjutsu.
- Mega Manning: Ability to copy ninjutsu, genjutsu and taijutsu.
- Story Breaker Power: The Mangekyo has powers that seem ridiculous even by the story's standards, like nigh-inextinguishable black flames, a near unstoppable genjutsu, Portal Cutting summoning of a giant spectral suit of armor, the ability to implant Fake memories, the ability to warp into a pocket dimension and finally the ability to warp reality (if only enough to come Back from the Dead) with the cost of an eye.
- Playing with Fire: Being able to use the Grand Fireball Jutsu is used as a coming of age test.
- The Proud Elite: Emphasis on "Proud".
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The Sharingan, in all its forms.
- Smug Super: A lot of them believe they're superior with good reason, but Madara takes the cake in this overall.
- Super Powerful Genetics: Grants eyes that eventually reach godlike levels of power, at the cost of going absolutely nuts.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: The ones that are jerks anyway.
Itachi's best friend and role model, who appeared to have committed suicide when his duties as a shinobi became too much, though the Uchihas suspected that he was murdered by Itachi. Itachi confirms this to Sasuke, revealing that he murdered him to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan. This turns out to have been a half-lie, as Shisui did kill himself, but it was with Itachi's assistance and done specifically so that Itachi could gain the Mangekyo to kill off the clan and prevent war. He himself had an unusually powerful Mangekyo, though who died in order for him to obtain it is unknown. Itachi claims that Naruto has inherited Shisui's will.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Itachi.
- Chekhov's Gunman: His eyes were later used by Itachi and Danzo.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The Sharingan. And his own Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Eye Scream: Danzo stole one of his eyes. He gave the other to Itachi.
- Flash Step: Was said to be a master of the Body Flicker technique.
- Generation Xerox: In more ways than one. Shisui was the son of Kagami Uchiha, who he not only shares a great physical resemblance, but also a great deal of personality and ideals. For one, Kagami was one of the few Uchiha that the Second Hokage had liked, as he not only showed a great devotion to his clan, but an even greater devotion to the village - a trait he would pass on to his son.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Killed himself to make sure that Itachi would succeed in killing off their clan and prevent them from starting up another war.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Itachi's last memory of Shisui is him giving advice and entrusting Itachi to keep Konoha safe... with one eye freshly gauged out.◊ What's more, he then calmly pulls out the other one and hands it to him◊.
- Master of Illusion: He's great even by Uchiha standards.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Shisui of the Body Flicker" (or "Shisui the Teleporter" in the English dub) does not sound like an easy enemy to face.
- Noodle Incident: We're never actually told how Danzo managed to get his eye, just that it happened shortly before his death.
- Posthumous Character
- Reverse Mole: Was ordered by the Uchiha clan to keep tabs on Itachi when he began to act strangely, but he was on Itachi and the Village's side, and attempted to prevent the coup via genjutsu, but had one of his eyes stolen by Danzo. Ultimately he had Itachi help him commit suicide, so that way he could gain the Mangekyo Sharingan to aid him in his mission.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Many fans find him very attractive, despite only appearing in two panels.
- Thanatos Gambit: He committed suicide to give Itachi the Mangekyo Sharingan so that he would be strong enough to wipe out the Uchihas and protect Konoha from being thrown into another war. It worked.
- White Sheep: Along with Itachi. Turns out it's a trait which he picked up from his father, who was a close ally of the Second Hokage.
- Walking Spoiler: He has the distinct honour of being one of the most minor characters in the series to have such a large amount of white text.
- Worthy Opponent: May have been this to Ao, who distinctly remembers his unique chakra "color" despite his being dead for more than eight years.
Fugaku and Mikoto Uchiha
Voice for Mikoto: Emi Sagara (JP), Kari Wahlgren
(EN), Gabriela Willert (Latin American Spanish)
- Broken Pedestal
- The Chains of Commanding: Fugaku's worn-looking face suggests that leadership of the Uchiha was very stressful business, which would explain why he didn't begrudge Itachi when the latter turned on them. His eldest son inherited these characteristics from his father, which probably attests to the latter becoming a Broken Ace later in life.
- Childhood Friends: Mikoto was apparently tight with Kushina Uzumaki in their youth, and they were best friends.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Played with, as their deaths were ordered because of their planned hostile takeover of the Leaf Village.
- Face Death with Dignity: Neither protested, cried, or even blinked when Itachi was about to kill them. They even told him that they understood his reasons and that they cared for him anyway. Even better, they had to encourage Itachi to finish the job because he was so wrecked about what he had to do.
- Generation Xerox: Like their mothers, Naruto and Sasuke became best friends (though their relationship was more Vitriolic Best Buds than not).
- Good Parents: Regardless of your personal opinion of their actions, there is no denying that they were good parents. Sasuke had a close relationship with his mother, and while he felt he was The Unfavorite in his father's eyes, Fugaku more or less told him that he was proud of him. They were also very loving parents to Itachi as well. They understood his decision, and regardless of everything that has happened, they were proud of him. Their last request was that he take care of Sasuke. Itachi broke down as he killed them, because regardless of their actions, they were his parents and he loved them.
- Parental Favoritism: Fugaku preferred eldest son Itachi (although Mikoto said this was mainly due to his importance in the clan, and he talked about Sasuke in private with his wife), Mikoto favored little son Sasuke. Turns out, Fugaku loved Sasuke enough that his last request was that Itachi take care of him; conversely, Mikoto's last words were a gentle reassurance to Itachi that they both still loved him and fully understood his decision.
- Posthumous Character
- Silk Hiding Steel and Yamato Nadeshiko: Mikoto was a jounin, but it's hard to tell from her disposition.
- So Proud of You: Their final words to their son Itachi before he kills them.
- Treachery Cover Up: They were executed as traitors by Itachi's hands to prevent a Civil War and in the name of peace and the Leaf Village.
"Sure, in a ninja's world, those who violate the rules and fail to follow orders are lower than garbage. However, those who do not care for and support their fellows are even lower than that! If I'm scum, the rules are no good to me! And if breaking them makes me the wrong kind of shinobi, I'll crush all so-called shinobi!"
Kakashi's team member from his childhood, Obito Uchiha was the Black Sheep
of the Uchiha clan with a reputation for being perpetually late and untalented. He was killed while saving Kakashi from a cave-in, and had Rin
remove his left Sharingan to give to Kakashi, who had lost an eye protecting him earlier.
He actually survived and became Tobi
. For more information on that, see here
Favorite words: "teamwork" and "comrade"
- Aborted Declaration of Love: Obito decides against telling Rin that he is in love with her before he died.
- Always Save the Girl: To Rin
- Always Someone Better: A flashback shows Kakashi was this for him... over and over and over...
- Black Sheep: To his clan.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The first time he was shown he was in a photo that made him a mere parallel to Kakashi, until the Kakashi Gaiden, where it was revealed he was not just the origin of Kakashi's eyes, but also his laziness and belief in friendships. Then he became Tobi...
- Childhood Friend Romance: He and Rin were close from a young age and he had been in love with her for a very long time.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: All those transparent excuses Kakashi makes about rescuing kittens from trees, etc? Obito really was late all the time because of stuff like that. He even showed up late to the Chuunin exams because he stopped to help an old lady with her bags.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Not initially with Sosuke Komori voicing him in Kakashi Gaiden, but from from Episode 343 onwards, flashbacks involving him have Megumi Han playing a more youthful sounding voice.
- Declaration of Protection: Doesn't even need to say it. He shows it for both of his teammates, especially with regards to his Heroic Sacrifice.
- Determinator: If Kakashi was this team's equivalent to Sasuke, then Obito was this team's Naruto.
- Eye Scream: Gets his right eye removed by Rin. But it's okay, because he wanted that to happen.
- Freudian Trio: He was The Id on Team Minato.
- Goggles Do Something: They protect your eyes.
- Go Out with a Smile: Died happily under a giant rock.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: A rare vertical example, as the entire right side of his body was smashed by the boulder.
- Heroic Sacrifice: By saving Kakashi from being crushed by a falling boulder.
- Hot-Blooded: Obito is a lot like Naruto, even in appearance.
- Idiot Hero: Like it says above, there are many similarities between Obito and Naruto.
- Major Injury Underreaction: While dying, he's extremely calm for having half his body crushed under a giant rock... though when his teammates leave and the cave-in is completed, his thoughts are revealed to be much more in turmoil.
- Oh Crap: Screams that Kakashi is going to kill him when he realizes that he's late to his mission.
- The Other Darrin: For the Kakashi Gaiden flashbacks in Episode 343, his original voice by Sosuke Komori is dubbed over by Megumi Han.
- Playing with Fire: Clan specialty.
- Posthumous Character: He's from the Kakashi Gaiden chapters, set years before the current story, and he dies. However, he still has lots of characterization. Subverted when it was revealed he became Tobi.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Kakashi's Blue.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Firmly believed in this. He thought it was better to help Rin than to complete the mission.
- Taking the Bullet: Kakashi did this for Obito, which got his eye cut out; Obito returned the favor, resulting in his death.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Kakashi for neglecting his teammates. This leads to Kakashi returning later to help him save Rin.
- White Sheep: All in all, he was one of the most decent, caring, and noble members of the named Uchiha revealed in the series, especially when you find out the truth about the massacre.
A Uchiha who was around back in the time of the Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju. He partook in the fateful mission where Tobirama met his end. He appears in a flashback that Danzo has.
- Body Guarding A Badass: Was apart of Tobirama's team.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Thought he was a background character? Well, he is, but being Uchiha he comes back to take his slice of the Plot Pie. He was the only Uchiha that Tobirama Senju truly admired, and proved to him that Uchiha weren't all selfish monsters. This was the reason that Tobirama eventually decided to trust Sasuke. He's also Shishui's father.
- Generation Xerox: His son Shishui is this to him, looking like him and sharing many of his ideals.
- Post Humous Character
- Satellite Character: Revolves around Tobirama and His son Shisui.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Despite his small role it thanks to him passing his ideals on to his son Shisui that Itachi is able to go through with the Uchiha massacre.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Undying Loyalty: The village was everything to him.
- White Sheep: He was one of the few Uchiha that wasn't crazy and evil.
Tsunade's first apprentice and her late fiancé Dan's niece. Travels along with her while trying to curb her gambling habits. After Tsunade becomes Hokage, she serves as her secretary.
, she begins to doubt Tsunade for sending Naruto out on dangerous missions despite Akatsuki's attempts to capture him, but eventually regains faith in her. During the Pain Invasion, she helps those trying to deciminate information from one of Pain's bodies and has her soul removed by Human path Pain, but is later resurrected. Later she is placed in charge of the Logistical Support and Medical Division for the Fourth Great Ninja War
Her hobby is visiting cultural heritage sites.
Favorite phrase is "The flowers, the birds, the wind, and the Moon", an idiom of the beauty of nature.
- Back from the Dead: Was resurrected by Nagato.
- Breath Weapon: Her poison mist jutsu.
- Children Raise You: Apparently, she does this for Tsunade.
- Christmas Cake: In an omake, she drunkenly confesses that she's jealous of Kurenai for having a boyfriend and maybe even husband while she is too busy working for Tsunade to find one for herself. Unfortunately, Tsunade happens to hear it. Harsher in Hindsight when you remember that this omake happens few episodes before said boyfriend dies, and the death had already happened in the manga.
- Combat Medic
- Deadly Doctor: Pulls a scalpel to Kabuto's throat when he threatens Tsunade.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: She has spring-operated needle launchers hidden up her very long sleeves.
- Senpai Kohai: Sakura considers her a senpai as Tsunade's previous disciple.
- Undying Loyalty: To Tsunade, to the extent that she sees working under her as her purpose in life.
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
(JP), Michael Reisz (EN), José Gilberto Vilchis (Latin America)
Mizuki is a childhood friend and was a former fellow Ninja Academy instructor of Iruka Umino. He later becomes the first antagonist of the series. At the series' start, he tricked Naruto Uzumaki into stealing Konoha's Scroll of Seals, which contains a number of forbidden jutsu. He convinced Naruto to do it by appearing sympathetic towards him, and told him that it would help him graduate from the Academy, but, in actuality, he despised Naruto. While he intended to steal the scroll from Naruto and to use Naruto as a scapegoat in the meantime, Iruka eventually figured out what he was up to and quickly caught up with Naruto and Mizuki. Realizing that it would be harder to get the scroll from Naruto if he teamed up with Iruka, he decided that he had to get Naruto to not trust Iruka. Mizuki then revealed to Naruto the truth about his past and why the village despised him: that he is the container for the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox.
As Naruto was frozen in shock by this knowledge, Mizuki used this to his advantage by hurling a giant shuriken at the frightened Naruto. Iruka jumped in at the last second to block the shuriken with his own back, wounding him. Later, because of Iruka's kind, caring words and selfless action, Naruto had the courage to use the Multiple Shadow Clone Technique he had learned from the scroll to defeat Mizuki as punishment for harming Iruka, which inevitably greatened Mizuki's hatred for Naruto.
Favorite phrase: "Positive thinking"
- Adaptation Expansion: They gave him a Filler arc in the anime, which was infamous both for Mizuki's tiger transformation and being the second of a long, long, long series of fillers.
- Some people did enjoy the arc, though - it was one of the few at least halfway-decent ones, if only for the backstory it provided on Iruka and giving Mizuki more in-depth characterisation. In fact, said characterisation and backstory is frequently incorporated even into fanfics which don't otherwise utilise anime Filler arcs.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Arc Villain: The main antagonist of the "Mizuki Strikes Back" anime Filler arc.
- Bait the Dog: Until Naruto steals the scroll, nothing seems off about him.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He seemed kind towards Naruto at first, then drops the act when the Scroll of Seals is in sight.
- Brought Down to Normal: Tsunade saves him after he's defeated, but the damage his body suffered will prevent him from ever being a shinobi again.
- Driven by Envy: Towards Iruka, since he envied the positive attention his childhood friend received.
- Evil Counterpart: To Iruka.
- False Friend: To Iruka, according to the anime. The manga doesn't imply that they're anything more than fellow teachers
- For the Evulz: Unless you actually buy his idea that it was some kind of Mercy Kill or that it was necessary for the mission, his killing a comrade chunin in a flashback is this. He didn't seem to have any reason to do it, and it even screwed him over later (see Hoist By His Own Petard).
- Hate Sink: For goodness sake, the man's least favourite food is ramen! How much more offensive to Naruto can be possibly be? On a more serious note, Mizuki is one of very few characters who can't really elict any sympathy from the audience, even if he's overshadowed by the more major villains, because his motivations and goals are so petty in comparison. Even Orochimaru had a tragic Start of Darkness that took many years to be completed.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The filler stated he was in cahoots with Orochimaru who gave him a recipe for a potion that would increase his chakra. It did, giving him a humanoid tiger appearance and he bats Naruto and Iruka around a bit. But after the two manage to beat him, the potion turns him into a withered old man as it was highly unstable. Tsunade surmises that Mizuki was just another test subject for Orochimaru meaning he got screwed over twice. What's more he can no longer be a ninja now due to it. And for a real kick in the teeth, Iruka tells Mizuki that Naruto far surpasses him in terms of strength.
- This happens to him in his flashback as well. He and a comrade decided to leave the third member of their team for dead during a code-retrieval mission. However, Mizuki hung back and killed the guy himself, thinking it a fitting fate for someone "weak enough" to get injured while fleeing from the enemy. Because of this, he was initially denied an academy teaching post due to the Hokage and other jonin suspecting he had unnecessarily killed a comrade. Being denied that post seemed to be the last straw in his hate for Iruka.
- Heck this goes back all the way back to the first chapter when he tricked Naruto into stealing the scroll (the filler revealing he was trying to give it to Orochimaru). He assumed he could easily take it from Naruto just for his amateur rank. Not only does that not happen, Naruto manages to figure the scroll's power and beats him silly with it. Said power would later becomes a trademark of Naruto's which he only got better with over time.
- Jerk Ass: The first onscreen one.
- Jerk Ass Has A Point: He tells Naruto that Iruka is strict because he had to learn maturity after losing his parents at a young age, and that deep down, he understands Naruto. Granted, this is a tactic used to manipulate Naruto, but he also happens to be correct.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Trusting Orochimaru to keep his word ultimately cost him dearly.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Mighty Glacier: In the filler arc, he starts to sacrifice speed for power, which ends up being part of what helps Iruka and Naruto beat him.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: As a result of going along with his plan, Naruto learns the crucial Shadow Clone Jutsu and actually does graduate from the academy, even if Mizuki was planning on using him.
- Older than They Look: Most would assume he's the same age as Iruka, especially since a filler flashback showed them as children that look the same age. He's actually five years older (actually making him older than Kakashi).
- Actually incorrect. The First Databook lists Mizuki's age as 27, and Iruka's as 25. However, the Second Databook - due to a case of Writers Cannot Do Math (Iruka's meant to be a student at the time of the Nine-Tails' attack) - does a Retcon for Iruka's age to 22-23 (during Part I) and 26 (for Part II). Mizuki, meanwhile, is never mentioned in the Databooks again, being a One-Shot Character before the anime Filler brought him back. So Mizuki was originally described as two years Iruka's senior, but if the anime Retcon is taken as Canon, they're both the same age (22-23) during Part I.
- The Resenter: Towards Iruka.
- It seems they used to be genuine friends at some point, but Mizuki grew jealous of the attention paid to Iruka, and Iruka passing the teaching exam when he didn't seemed to be the last straw for him.
- Sequel Episode: His brief reappearance in a filler arc qualifies.
- Social Darwinist: Shows shades of this in the filler—it bites him in the ass because he's applying the "only the strong survive" ideal against Naruto, when it's actually against him.
- Starter Villain
- Start of Darkness: It's unclear if he was ever a decent human being (his lover believes he was, he claims he wasn't), but his resentment for Iruka turned any feelings of genuine camaraderie sour until the ambition and malice was all that was left.
- Took a Level in Badass: Until he got a serious Hoist by His Own Petard.
- Undying Loyalty: To Orochimaru at first, truly believing him to be a great ninja (if only for how powerful he was) and refused to believe Naruto when he told him otherwise. It isn't till he's a victim of Oro's manipulations himself that he finally gets the message and by that point it costs him greatly.
- Unwitting Pawn
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: Arguable, in that Naruto's level grinding by the time of the filler arc in which he appeared was more effective.
- Wham Line: Delivers the first in the series, revealing Naruto's status as the demon fox host.
- White Hair, Black Heart
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Plans on doing this to Naruto.
A seemingly intelligent young female ninja working in Konoha's cryptography unit. She helps Shikamaru, Naruto, and Kakashi figure out the code Jiraiya left before his death. Later, she accompanies Shikamaru and his father Shikaku when Pain attacks, and survives the destruction of Konoha.
Her most notable trait is her huge crush on Shikamaru, who is completely oblivious about it. See Hinata and Naruto.
Fu and Torune
Voice for Torune: Hidenori Takahashi (JP), Grant George
Danzo's bodyguards for the Kage Summit, and the best operatives in Root. Fu is from the Yamanaka clan and Torune is from Aburame clan. Fu attempts to posses Ao's body in an effort to take his Byakugan, but fails thanks to Fifth Mizukage's efforts. Both get worfed by Tobi, but not before Torune infects his right arm, forcing him to sit out on the fight between Sasuke and Danzo. Later on they are unceremoniously killed off as a demonstration of Edo Tensei's preperation rituals.
- And I Must Scream: Fu's variation of the Yamanaka clan's Grand Theft Me invokes this, by placing the target's body in a booby trapped puppet, while Fu gains control of the target's body. When he used this on Ao, he immediately attempted to stab out his eye and when that didn't work, attempted to cut off his head.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Both of them figure out how Tobi's Made Of Air powers work after 3 minutes of fighting him. Tobi even compliments them on it.
- Back from the Dead:Torune is revived by Kabuto using Edo tensei, this is expanded upon in the Anime.
- Bee Bee Gun: Torune's bugs differ from the rest of his clan's being that they are nano-sized and capable of destroying target's cells in addition to draining chakra.
- Big Brother Mentor: Torune was one to Shino in the anime.
- Bodyguarding a Badass
- Childhood Friends: Torune and Fu in the anime.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Combination Attack: When Fu and Torune attack together.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Torune's Jar of Poison technique.
- Elite Mooks: They last slightly longer than most examples, but ultimately they are this.
- Human Sacrifice: Fu becomes one when Kabuto uses him for Edo tensei
- Informed Ability: Given who they were fighting against, this is slightly justified, but they don't come off as more skilled than any other jounin we've seen.
- Were they not, though? They managed to decipher how Tobi's intangibility works, and actually harm him (Torune infects his arm with his poisonous bugs, forcing Tobi to cut it off). I'd say they're actually pretty impressive.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Fu is a very skilled sensor, though not in the same league as Karin.
- Odd Name Out: Their names don't fit their respective clans' naming patterns. Justified because Root typically assigns a Code Name to their members.
- Poisonous Person: Torune, via his bugs.
- Psychic Powers: Fu abilities stem from this.
- Put on a Bus: Aren't seen after the Danzo fight until the Start of the war arc.
- Bus Crash: And they are immediately killed off.
- The Stoic: Due to Root's emotional suppression training.
- The Symbiote: Torune has a mutually beneficial relationship with the insect colony living inside his body.
- Touch of Death: Torune's bugs are distributed this way.
- Satellite Character: Aside from being Danzo's guards and having unique twists on their respective clan's techniques, they really don't contribute much apart from being fuel for an Edo Tensei demonstration.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Both are introduced with little to no characterization, quickly beaten and then killed off.
- Adaptation Expansion: Torune was deployed by Kabuto into the war in episode 316, and faced Shino in battle during the next episode, giving both characters a little backstory.
- The Worm That Walks: While not made of bugs, Torune has housed a swarm of nano-sized bugs in his body since shortly after his birth, perhaps even more disturbing than simply being composed of the insects- in short, he is basically a human hive. A "Bug Clone" technique also exists, in which the user creates a clone of himself out of those beetles, is more true to this trope.
Kakashi's team member from his childhood, Rin was a skilled medical ninja. Obito is killed in action saving Kakashi from an enemy Rock Ninja and Rin is presumed deceased although it is not revealed how. In Chapter 604, it's revealed that she did die, but at the hands of Kakashi
. This was how both Kakashi and Tobi got their Mangekyo Sharingan, and was a key factor in sparking Obito's Face-Heel Turn
into becoming Tobi. It was also revealed that she was a former Jinchuriki of the Sanbi.
Her hobby was collecting shells.
Favourite word: "friendship"
- Brainy Brunette
- Break the Cutie: This poor little girl's life was harsh, to say at least. She was kidnapped by bad guys, watched one of her teammates die, was kidnapped again and turned into the Naruto equivalent of a nuke, and decided to kill herself to save her village.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She and Obito were very close from a young age and he had an unrequited crush on her.
- Damsel in Distress: She is taken captive by a Stealth Expert Rock ninja, prompting the plot of the gaiden. Later she was kidnapped again, this time by Mist-nin with a crazy evil scheme.
- Facial Markings
- Freudian Trio: She was The Ego on Team Minato.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She deliberately took the hit from Kakashi, as she had the Sanbi sealed inside her and was intended as a Trojan Horse for Konoha. Once they had "rescued" her and taken her back, the seal would break and the Sanbi would run wild.
- Heroic Willpower: She is able to resist giving away vital information while under an enemy genjutsu.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Ran through the heart with a Chidori from her love interest. Sure, it was quite unintentional on Kakashi's part, but damn.
- Kill the Cutie: Kakashi killed her by running her through with a Chidori. But that was Rin's plan all along.
- Living Emotional Crutch: She was Obito's entire reason for living, and also the only one keeping Kakashi's mental health together out of a promise he made with Obito to keep her safe. When she dies, everything goes to hell for both boys.
- The Lost Lenore: For Obito, whose entire motivation stems from her death and a desire to create a world where she can live once more.
- Love Triangle: Obito was in love with Rin, who had feelings for Kakashi.
- The Medic: She was extremely skilled for her age, being able to preform a complex eye transplant with minimal tools at thirteen.
- Morality Chain: Had she never died, both Kakashi and Obito would have never turned out to be the broken men who've dragged the entire world in their despair.
- Nice Girl: Mediates Kakashi and Obito's arguments without taking sides, despite her feelings for Kakashi. A contrast to Sakura, who spent most of her time always agreeing with her Love Interest Suaske over Naruto.
- Not-So-Small Role: She died. Everything went straight to hell.
- Oblivious to Love: She was completely unaware about Obito's feelings for her, until Kakashi told her. Given Obito's fate, she didn't take it too well.
- Only One Name: She's actually a subversion, but it's still worth noting that it took roughly 350 chapters since her introduction before we finally learned her family name. Many fans used various reasonings to assume that she didn't have one.
- Posthumous Character
- Plot Triggering Death: It wasn't her sensei's death, nor her teammate's "death". It was her death that caused the plot of Naruto in the first place, despite being a rather obscure character who had no direct connection or hand in any of the major events of the backstory, such as the Kyuubi Attack or the Uchiha Clan Massacre. Why? Because her death in the backstory directly motivated Obito into becoming Tobi.
- Plucky Girl
- Protectorate: To Obito and Kakashi.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: In Chapter 629 she is revealed to have been a Jinchuriki of the Three Tails for a short time.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Given that she died not too long after Obito, which would have largely rendered his and Kakashi's rescue of her (and Obito's Heroic Sacrifice) pointless, barring Kakashi's acquisition of the Sharingan Eye. Considering this also resulted in Obito's Start of Darkness as Tobi, her kidnapping kinda acts as the catalyst for the events of the series.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She doesn't submit and give away vital information when under genjutsu torture and is able to steel herself long enough to perform the eye transplant on Kakashi, but breaks down afterwards when she is forced to leave Obito behind to die alone.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She was just a minor character, but her death turned a really good kid into a really bad guy, which influenced the whole plot. And That's Terrible.
- Stuffed In The Fridge: Her entire reason for existing in the series so that she would die and make Obito decide to put a giant magical eye in the moon so he could pretend that reality didn't exist.
- Suicide by Cop: 629 reveals that Kakashi didn't mean to kill her, she put herself in the way of his attack to derail the Mist-nin's plan.
- Super Mode: The Three Tails allows her this, although she never used it onscreen.
- Tragic Monster: The Mist-nin planned for her to become one by destroying her hometown with the Three Tails.
- Turtle Power: Guess who got Three Tails?
Voiced By: Ena Shimokawa (JP)
The First Hokage’s wife, and grandmother of Nawaki and Tsunade. She was well-known as a sealing techniques specialist, which later helped her lock the nine-tailed fox inside her own body and made her his first jinchuuriki.
The ANBU are Elite Mooks
that take orders directly from the Kage, performing special high-level missions, such as assassinations and torture.
- Elite Mooks: More of an Informed Ability, but there was that case with three ANBUs stopping one of Pain's summons with an epic elemental jutsu combo.
- There's also Yamato, though it's easy to forget he's actually ANBU. Kakashi, Itachi, and Orochimaru are all also former ANBU. The general rule seems to be that if we get to know them, they live up to ANBU's reputation and for the most part the rest are basically there to be worfed.
- Informed Ability
- Mauve Shirt: Cat-Masked ANBU Member and Yugao.
- Red Shirt
- Worf Effect
A member of Root whom Sai looked up to as an older brother. He was killed when Danzo forced the two of them to fight to the death.
Voiced By: Daichi Endo (JP), John Demita (EN)
Kakashi's father, who is also known as "The White Fang of Konoha". He was renowned as a great shinobi until a fateful mission where he chose to protect his comrades instead of finishing his duty. Because of this, the denizens of Konoha (even the shinobi he rescued) scorned him, and he took his own life.
Apparently killed Sasori's parents at some point, fueling Chiyo's ire towards Konoha for many years.
- Broken Pedestal: To all of Konoha, especially Kakashi.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: Thanks to Obito, Kakashi eventually gets that pedestal back, after hearing Obito say that he respects Sakumo's decision. Seems the rest of the village eventually (as well as many from neighboring villages) got the pedestal back as well. With most characters in the present speaking very highly of the leaf's legendary "White Fang".
- Driven to Suicide
- Famed in Story: At the height of his time, he was even more legendary than the Sannin.
- Not-So-Small Role: Look at the entries of the people he indirectly influenced. Despite being much older than them, in a way he was the prototype for all the values embodied in the series.
- Posthumous Character
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right
- Red Baron: Nicknamed the White Fang of the Leaf.
- Spirit Advisor: Eventually meets up with Kakashi and listens to his tale.
- So Proud of You: To Kakashi, after hearing his tale in the Invasion of Pain arc.
- True Companions: With his fellow shinobi, who he chooses to protect instead of finishing the mission. Unluckily for him, they don't return the devotion. True, it was an important mission, but still...
The grandson of Mito Uzumaki and Hashirama Senju. Dreamed of being Hokage, but died before he could do so.
Tsunade's lost love, and Shizune's uncle. Dreamed of being Hokage.
The adopted mother of Kabuto
who ran an orphanage that was funded by her former connections to the ROOT cell of the Konoha village.
- Combat Medic: While we don't know much about her combat abilities, we do know she was skilled enough at medical ninjutsu to give Kabuto the foundation of what he knows.
- Death by Origin Story: Her death was a part of Kabuto's.
- Expy/Generation Xerox: Despite no indication that they're related by blood, she and Kabuto look similar enough to be related.
- He Knows Too Much: The reason why Danzo tried to pit Kabuto and Nonou against one another.
- I Have Many Names: As a result of being an informant that infiltrated villages over time. She's called Nonou (her real name), The Walking Maiden (her nickname as a ROOT member), Mother (by the children and caretakers of the orphanage), and Nanigashi (by Tsuchi ninja that didn't know she was a spy) over the course of the two chapters that cover Kabuto's past.
- The Informant: Her job as part of ROOT.
- Mama Bear: To the children of the orphanage. Danzo uses this knowledge to blackmail her back into Konoha's service.
- Nerves of Steel: According to Danzo, some ninja would betray Konoha or lose their minds during long missions that involve gathering information about other villages, but her tenacity in the face of similar situations makes her the best at what she does.
- Offing the Offspring: Just barely averted due to Danzo manipulating her knowledge of the children at the orphanage. She ultimately ends up on the receiving end of Self-Made Orphan.
- Orphanage of Love: Ran one after her days as a ROOT ninja.
- Plot Triggering Death: Her death causes Kabuto to join Orochimaru, who didn't know what else to live for after he finds out he was part of Danzo's plot to kill her.
- Posthumous Character
- The Red Baron: The Walking Maiden.
- Retired Badass: Was formerly part of ROOT.
- Shoot The Shaggy Dog Story: Left ROOT to find a peaceful life because she was too emotional about the job. Blackmailed back into service, and agrees to continue to serve the village to save one of her adopted children who took her place, not knowing that she was being re-recruited for the sole purpose of being eliminated because she knew too much about the village. The one that ended up killing her was the adopted child she was trying to save in the first place, whom she utterly broke emotionally when she didn't realize it was him.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her glasses are Kabuto's, which is why he still wears them even after his change into Sage Mode enhances his sensory capabilities.
- Undying Loyalty: According to Danzo, she will never betray Konoha, even while gathering potentially harmful informations about her home village and other enemy villages. Unfortunately, Danzo uses this as a reason to seek her help in infiltrating other villages and gathering information. Danzo later uses her knowledge of Konoha and other villages as a reason to have Kabuto kill her.
Mr. Teuchi, the Ramen Guy
"Just cuz these things happen, doesn't make it an excuse!"
The owner of Ichiraku Ramen, Naruto's favourite place to eat. He has been giving Naruto delicious ramen for many years.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 320 features him heavily, as he is subjected to the incompetency of his two ramen understudies.
- Berserk Button: Tarnishing ramen, as Matsu found out when he stuck his finger in some ramen Naruto was going to eat.
- Cool Old Guy: He's a pretty cool guy that is also pretty old.
- Nice Hat: He wears a cool ramen hat.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: In the "what's under Kakashi's mask" episode, Teuchi is seen swooning over Kakashi's unmasked (and unseen) face along with Ayame. Make of it what you will.
- Supreme Chef: He makes the best ramen in town.
- You Fool!: He screams at Matsu and calls him a fool for sticking his finger in a bowl of ramen.
Daughter to the proprietor of Ramen Ichiraku, Naruto's favorite restaurant.
- Nice Girl: She and her father are among the few villagers who actually don't look at Naruto with contempt and/or fear from the very beginning; they even state outright that he's their favorite customer.