Back to the main character index
Hebi ("Snake") is the group that Sasuke forms when he's looking to exact his revenge against Itachi. After Itachi's death, Sasuke renames the group Taka ("Hawk/Eagle") and they join forces with the remainder of the Akatsuki
. They only appear in Shippuden
.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
All Hebi members provide example of:
- Hair Contrast Duo: Sasuke and Suigetsu.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: If one looks at Hebi as a replacement Sasuke made for Team 7,
- Suigetsu is Naruto: rude and aggressive, treats Sasuke as a rival and has an element that is strong against one of Sasuke's elements while weak against the other one.
- Karin is Sakura, as she was when Sasuke knew her.
- Jugo is Kakashi: normally laid back and even tempered, but with a dangerous side.
open/close all folders
"The weapon of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen has been handed down, generation to generation, it's the tradition. And... all these years I've trained, I've only done it out of reverence for the Seven Ninja. So long as I have this sword, not even you can touch me... maybe."
A former ninja from the prominent Hozuki family of Water Country. He wanted to join his brother Mangetsu as a member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, but this was cut short when Mangetsu died and Suigetsu himself was captured by Orochimaru to be used for experiments.
A Blood Knight
, as he was apparently some sort of prodigy for cutting off his opponent's limbs before beheading them, though apparently gets along with animals. Can transform into liquid to avoid damage. Takes Zabuza's sword, and wants to take Kisame's. His goal is evidently to take the swords of all the Swordsmen of the Mist in order to rebuild the group. He gets captured by the samurai at the Kage Summit, but he manages to break out of jail with Jugo
His hobby is looking after his beloved sword.
Favorite phrase: "The lower overcoming the higher"
- Ambiguously Gay: One of his first scenes consists of him getting right up behind Sasuke while stark naked while playfully pointing a Finger Gun at his head to test his reaction.
- Ax-Crazy: Has shown tendencies towards this.
- BFS: Mainly uses Zabuza's sword, and has trained to use the other Seven Mist Swordsmen's blades. In something of a subversion, carrying it around does tire him out some.
- Blob Monster: Able to resist some attacks by turning into water.
- Blood Knight: Though while working with Sasuke he wasn't allowed to kill anyone (he ignored this several times when Sasuke wasn't looking). Then complains when Sasuke breaks his own rule.
- Butt Monkey: He gets the snot beat out of him by Karin regularly likely due to being Nigh Invulnerable.
- Characterization Marches On: He's been portrayed as much more of a coward in recent chapters. Justified considering the people that he's around, and the fact that he has no longer has a weapon.
- Chekhov's Gun: Accidentally found something in one of Orochimaru's hidden labs that could help Sasuke control Naruto and/or the Nine-Tails.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dirty Coward: He's terrified of people higher then him in the Super Weight Scale, most notably Orochimaru.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: Suigetsu can transform his body into water.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's an unrepentant mass-murderer, but does occasionally chastise Sasuke. Unfortunately, this seems to be more about Sasuke mistreating animals like Manda than his plans for violent revenge.
- Finger Gun: Makes the gesture at Sasuke when threatening him. One of his clan's signature techniques is to fire a water bullet from a Finger Gun; in fact, he ends up doing so against Spiral Zetsu.
- Growing Muscles Sequence: He can expand the muscles in his arms to increase the power behind his sword strikes.
- Jerk Ass: He's a total dick to everyone who he knows won't respond with violence.
- The Lancer / The Dragon: Depending on whether your consider it a Five-Man Band or Five-Bad Band.
- Making a Splash: Controls mainly water-based techniques.
- Mr. Fanservice; Especially when he's bulked up.
- Sempai Kohai: Refers to Kisame and Zabuza as "sempai" but whether it's sarcastic or not is up for debate.
- To Be a Master: Wants to be one of the Seven Swordsmen Of The Mist. In order to achieve that goal, he wants to collect all their swords, and allies with Sasuke to go after Itachi's partner Kisame, who has one of those swords.
- Magic Pants: His clothes seems to change into water and back with the rest of his body, though when he fuses with a large body of water his clothes seem to just dissolve.
- Odd Friendship: He develops one with Jugo.
- Oh Crap: When Sasuke revives Orochimaru.
- An even bigger one occurs when Hashirama releases ridiculous amount of chakra to supress his brother. Suigetsu starts to melt due to sheer fear.
- Psychotic Smirk: His default facial expression.
- Purple Eyes
- Put on a Bus: Along with Juugo after the fight with the Raikage. Returns briefly in Chapter 567 alongside him as they make their escape- none the more wiser to the magnificent nightmare that occurred with their other two teammates. It'll be a nasty surprise...
- The Rival: To some degree with Sasuke.
- The Sociopath: Certainly displays those sorts of tendencies.
- The Southpaw: Most emphasized when he uses his Great Water Arm Technique.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Karin.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Although it's more of a pale blue.
Only female in Hebi. She has long since been a subordinate to Orochimaru and has been both an experimenter and an experimentee in his Mad Scientist
ventures. She has a very powerful chakra-sensing ability. Wildly in love with Sasuke, just like nearly every other female in the series, but rude to everyone else. She was rescued by Sasuke long ago in the Chunin Exams, which sparked the love interest.
Not much of a combatant, but she can heal others by having them bite her. Former genin from the Hidden Village of Grass and one of the scattered remnants of the Uzumaki Clan. After Sasuke betrays her during his fight with Danzo, she is taken by Team 7 to Konoha. Karin, painfully aware that Sasuke is no longer the chivalrous boy she fell head over heels for, subsequently abandons her infatuation. She was questioned by the Interrogation Squad, bawling her eyes out over the recent events, but Ibiki prevented his less-than-hardy subordinates from playing the sympathy card for her. Karin cooperated fairly well nevertheless, but because of her criminal association, she was placed in a holding cell so the Leaf could keep an eye on her. Karin then feigned a fit towards Sasuke that ping-ponged between rage towards the betrayal and phony fawning over him. It was all a ruse to throw off her guards from noticing her real intentions- use a hidden razor file in the stem of her glasses to begin sawing through the cell bars
Her hobby is collecting perfumes.
Favorite phrase: "A woman's desire can pass even through rock"
- Abhorrent Admirer: Played with. She isn't exactly "unattractive" (even though Fanon would often describe her as such) but her eagerness to get in Sasuke's pants and his less-than-interested reaction towards her propositions make her one of these.
- Action Girl: Took her a long time but, as of Chapter 663, she demonstrated that she does have some fighting ability, similar to that of Kushina Uzumaki.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Begins slavishly devoted to Sasuke. Deconstructed when she almost dies at Sasuke's hands. Reality Ensues. Sort of.
- Anime Hair: Seriously, what's with her hair? It's long and straight on one side, but short and wild on the other. You could imagine how she would do that, but not why. Though her hair is obviously symbolic, referencing her Mood-Swinger nature. And it seems that some real people have their hair which does this.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saved the Gokage from the point of death, and is preparing to do the same for the whole Shinobi alliance.
- Blind Without 'Em: Like so many Meganekko. It's shown in a flashback that she has severe myopia.
- Boring, but Practical: She practically embodies this trope. Sensing the location of whoever she wants isn't flashy or powerful, but it's pretty damn useful. Too bad "useful" doesn't equal "indispensable".
- Chain Pain: She can summon the same chakra chains as her distant relative Kushina.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Karin wants to have Sasuke only for herself. She won't leave him despite having plenty occasions to leave. Until Sasuke stabs her. She then promptly decide that she is not interested anymore. Upon encountering Sasuke again she quickly forgives him. Sometimes. She now flip-flops between loving and hating him, to the point that it might even be a split personality.
- Covered with Scars: Her arms, shoulders, and even her chest are covered in scars from people biting her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Cherry hair, cherry eyes.
- Dark Chick: She's the Chick in a team where two members are Ax-Crazy and the leader is revenge obsessed.
- Easily Forgiven: Gets right back to admiring Sasuke, especially jarring after he stabbed her to get to Danzo and even attempt to finish the job earlier
- Empathic Healer: Can heal by allowing an ally to bite her and drain her chakra, causing her pain and draining her energy. Kabuto later implies this ability to be due to the unnatural vigor in the Uzumaki's life giving chakra combined with Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Foreshadowing: Her red hair, like Kushina's and Nagato's, is what marks her as a member of the Uzumaki bloodline.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Pulls off her glasses whenever she gets lascivious with Sasuke.
- Hair Color Spoiler: The red color is a trademark of the Uzumaki clan.
- Healing Factor: Her natural vitality and life giving chakra was amplified to Good Thing You Can Heal levels from Kabuto and Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Hidden Supplies: She keeps a blade hidden in her glasses and a set of lockpicks in a picture frame.
- Heel-Face Turn: Very possible outcome, as she finally realized she's better off without Sasuke... or not, since she's planning to escape from Konoha.
- Mad Love: Sasuke just apologizes and she's back on his hook. Luckily for her he was being sincere.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Got Impaled with Extreme Prejudice and had your insides skewered? Big deal! Just heal yourself and keep going for the man you love.
- Male Gaze: In the same fashion that Sakura. They both have a small chest, so fanservicey manga pictures give focus on their butts instead.
- Memetic Molester: Toward Sasuke.
- Mood-Swinger: Most recent example: crying about how she was forced into working for Orochimaru and Sasuke one minute, then snarkily asking for something to eat in exchange for more info about Akatsuki the next. Currently acting like one so the guards won't notice the lock picks she hid in a picture of Sasuke. Then it turns out that it wasn't an act; she really does jump back and forth between loving Sasuke and hating him for betraying her.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's overloaded with fanservice tropes, save for big breasts. See also Male Gaze above.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Her primary ability.
- Nerd Glasses: May or may not hide a tiny saw.
- Neutral Female: She can't help at all in physical combat. But she possesses other very useful skills.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Courtesy of her healing factor, which may well be superior to Naruto's.
- Not So Different: Empathizes greatly with Sakura to the point of crying when she does because she understands just how she feels.
- Personal Space Invader: She is one for Sasuke.
- Put on a Bus: After she is taken into the Leaf's custody.
- Rescue Romance: Sasuke saved her from a giant bear during the second part of the Chuunin examination.
- The Reveal: Karin is of Uzumaki descent.
- Satellite Character: Remove her relation to Sasuke and there is practically nothing left, despite having potential for an interesting backstory.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: The greatest one in the series which is why Sasuke sought her out.
- Shadow Archetype: For a long time, she seemed to embody, Upped To Eleven, all the flaws of pre-timeskip Sakura. Like the latter, she also displays shades of Teen Genius.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Doesn't seem interested in other guys than Sasuke. She could have left at any moment but she stays for Sasuke. In the end, she should have left.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She's 16 years old after all.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Sasuke.
- Super-Detailed Fight Narration: Is very keen on observing the abilities of other characters, being able to figure out the secrets to Danzo's techniques.
- Support Party Member: She helps out with her sensor powers to discern locations and the nature of enemy jutsu, and by healing comrades.
- Teen Genius: Leads one of Orochimaru's lair at only 16. Plus she knows quite more than most people about the Tailed-beasts. Its implied she aided Orochimaru in some of his Mad Scientist ventures.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Suigetsu.
- Tsundere: Tsuntsun towards EVERYBODY, including Sasuke if there are other people around.
- Yandere: On the other hand, she also considers drugging Suigetsu and Jugo to rape Sasuke while he's wounded and weak, and carries around his sweaty, discarded clothes on occasion.
- Took a Level in Badass: Awakens the ability to use chakra chains and beats a wooden statue that was single handedly crushing the whole alliance and tanks an attack which killed people, including Neji, by skewering their insides by just biting herself as if it was no big deal.
- Weak, but Skilled: She goes Action Girl on a few occasions, but is mostly a healer. Not anymore after she starts using the same powers as Kushina Uzumaki.
I won't let you die; you're a memento of Kimimaro.
Big guy whose personality flip-flops between a psychopath and a really nice guy. He once roamed the countryside destroying villages when he was consumed by his berserk rage and willingly subjected himself to Orochimaru's human experimentation labs to look for a cure for his condition. He can talk to animals
as well as transform his body
. Orochimaru made his Cursed Seals by replicating an enzyme that Jugo's body produced. He gets captured by the samurai during the Kage Summit, but manages to break out of jail with Suigetsu
. The enzyme in Jugo's body causes his split personality by slowly accumulating natural energy constantly over time until it has to be released, at which point Jugo snaps into a violent frenzy.
His hobbies are forest bathing and playing with birds.
Favorite phrase: "Pure Samādhi"
- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time Travis Willingham has voiced an easily disturbed person who turns into a monster.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His default attire is one of these with no shirt underneath
- Ax-Crazy: When his Superpowered Evil Side takes over, he will gleefully kill everyone around him. The beginning of Jugo's transformation (non-aesthetically) is a sudden urge to kill.
- Appendage Assimilation: In contrast to the below, he can also take flesh from others to heal himself, though so far he's kept it limited to people who were already dead.
- Badass Longcoat: When his team visits a family friend of Sasuke's, they try to find him a shirt. When they can't find any that fit, they instead give him a curtain to wear as a cloak.
- The Big Guy / The Brute: One of the tallest characters of the series (so much that he can hardly find clothing his size) and the muscle of Sasuke's team. He's a Gentle Giant while sane, but his evil side is very much the Brute.
- Black Eyes of Crazy/Supernatural Gold Eyes: Typically has at least one when berserk.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Evil Laugh/Laughing Mad: His psychopathic side, especially when he is in his fully transformed state.
- Gentle Giant: When he's not overcome by bloodlust, that is.
- In Harmony with Nature: Jugo's family is naturally in tune with natural chakra which they are constantly absorbing which unfortunately causes them to periodically transform into monstrous subhuman creatures with a personality to match.
- Jekyll & Hyde
- Liquid Assets: He can heal people compatible with his cursed seal as well as drain the life-force of others to heal himself.
- Marked Change: When he activates his cursed genes assuming it hasn't just dyed his skin.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nature Is Not Nice: At least when natural builds up the result isn't...
- Nice Guy: When his Superpowered Evil Side is not in control he seems to be a rather sweet, kind guy, possibly the nicest guy in the series.
- Odd Friendship: With Suigetsu.
- One-Winged Angel: Is able to transform with his special ability that was the source for the curse mark.
- Only Friend: Seems to have been this to Kimimaro, who was also his only friend due to being the one person who could subdue him - he closed himself off after Kimimaro's death until dedicating himself to Sasuke, who he views as his deceased friend's legacy.
- Only Sane Man: When he's not in his rage state, he's the lone decent, rational individual on a team led by an unhinged maniac that also contains a sociopathic thrill-killer and an obnoxious, emotionally unstable bitch.
- Partial Transformation: He often transforms his arms into the cursed seal form to deliver a powerful punch or slash to his enemy.
- Put on a Bus: Along with Suigetsu after the fight with the Raikage. Returns in Chapter 567, though neither of them know what happened to their other two teammates...and probably shouldn't anyway...
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Can turn his body parts into things like giant piston arms, extendable appendages blades, shields and even a Jetpack or Wave Motion Gun.
- Sleep Mode Size: He can give some of his flesh to heal someone who's compatible, but turns into a kid as a result.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Able to talk to and use animals.
- The Stoic: If not in his psychotic state.
- Super Empowering: Infuses Sasuke's Susanoo with his senjutsu, enabling it to enter Cursed Seal Mode.
- Superpowered Evil Side: His status as a Jobber can generally be dismissed as his unwillingness to hurt people, while he is said and shown to be able to do a LOT more damage when he gives in to his bloodlust.
- Token Evil Teammate: His Hyde personality.
- Token Good Teammate: Superpowered Evil Side aside, he's a Nice Guy who circumstances have more or less left him stuck with a raging psychopath, an amoral douchebag, and an obnoxious bitch.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sasuke for being Kimimaro's legacy.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: He doesn't seem to possess any fighting ability that doesn't involve his shape-shifting abilities and there are implications he isn't even a trained shinobi at all.
- The Worf Effect: He can be considered his team's designated jobber, as he was quickly dispatched by Killer Bee offscreen, and both his upgraded form and Beam Spam were useless against the Raikage (granted, it appears that he wasn't expecting that to work, just for it to be a proper distraction).