Characters: Naruto-Characters From Other Villages
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
The father of Madara, Izuna, and several other Uchiha children (all of whom died). Leader of the Uchiha Clan before the founding of the Leaf Village.
The brother of Madara Uchiha, Izuna was a shinobi who died before the founding of Konoha. His great rivalry with his brother led to him being one of the first members of the Uchiha Clan to unlock the powerful Mangekyou Sharingan. Looks just like Sasuke.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His death was what really convinced Madara that peace was meaningless.
- Eye Scream: Madara claimed to have ripped his eyes out to gain the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan. According to Tobi and Hashirama, Izuna was okay with this.
- Handicapped Badass: Lost his eyes to Madara, and despite having no eyes, he went on to die on the battle field. Unfortunately his blindness was what killed him.
- Morality Pet / Morality Chain: Izuna was everything to Madara. His death is what made Madara into the man he is today.
- Posthumous Character
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Red Herring: Like Danzo and Obito, he was suspected to be Tobi's true identity.
- Sibling Rivalry: He and his brother competed often, which resulted in both of them awakening the Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Sibling Team: His hobby was training with Madara.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Resembled an older, less angry Sasuke.
The brother of Hashirama, Tobirama, and Kawarama Senju.
- Child Soldiers: He was a young boy fighting in an eternal war.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His death caused Tobirama to become jaded and cynical.
- Doomed by Canon: Despite many chapters devoted to backstory, a third Senju bro was never mentioned. Predictably, he dies in the chapter he first appears in.
- Kill the Cutie
- Mauve Shirt: Has a bit of characterization before biting the dust. But not much.
- Multicolored Hair: One side white, the other side black.
- No Kill Like Over Kill: How he died, cornered and slaughtered by five adults.
- Posthumous Character
- Small Role, Big Impact: You know all the other guys who supposedly triggered the plot of Naruto? Well, as long as the flashbacks go further back in time, we keep getting earlier and earlier causes for the plot. Currently it was Itama who triggered the plot. His death caused Tobirama to become jaded, which caused him to kill Izuna, which caused Madara to go crazy, which caused him to do a bunch of evil stuff and make Obito into his evil successor.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
The brother of Tobirama, Hashirama, and Itama Senju. Died a pointless death in the war. His arm was sent back to his family.
The father of Hashirama, Tobirama, Kawarama, and Itama Senju. Leader of the Senju Clan in the past.
The founder of Gato Shipping and Transport. A multi-billionaire who is said to be the richest man in the world. However, he makes most of his money with his shady business deals. Gato is the first major villain to appear in the series.
- Anime Hair: He has an utterly crazy hairstyle.
- Arc Villain: Gato is the central antagonist of the Land of Waves arc, but he is of no importance to the overarching story and is just there to be the first villain.
- Bullying a Dragon: He subjects the ninja he hires to much abuse because he thinks the money he offers them will keep them in check.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He's an evil businessman.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Frequently hires top dollar assassins to take people out for him, then uses mobs of grunts to take those assassins out so he doesn't have to pay them.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: He knows how long Shōnen fights tend to drag on for, so he just waits until the combatants are tired and then wipes them all out with mobs of grunts.
- Evil Old Folks: He's fairly old, and also a monster who kills people to make money.
- Greed: He is willing to assassinate people and force whole countries into poverty just to make more money.
- Karmic Death: In the backstory of the Land of Waves arc, he chopped off both of Kaiza's arms and then killed him. At the end of the arc, he is killed by Zabuza, who is unable to use his arms.
- Kick the Dog: His execution of Kaiza is there just to show that he's a bad guy. He later kicks Haku's corpse just to further hammer in how much of a complete scumbag he is.
- Non-Action Big Bad: He's the villain of the Land of Waves arc, but his power comes from his money, not his physical strength. When he does enter the final battle, Zabuza kills him with one blow.
- Off with His Head!: Zabuza kills him by chopping off his head in the manga, slitting his throat in the anime.
- Smug Snake: Acts completely full of himself.
- Starter Villain: He's the first major antagonist that Team 7 faces in the story.
- White Hair, Black Heart: His heart is white, but make no mistake, he's an evil bastard.
- You Have Failed Me: Subverted. He is constantly angered when his assassins fail to kill Tazuna, but while he does show up to kill Zabuza, he was going to do that anyway.
The Land of Waves
"I am Tazuna, a bridge builder of ultimate renown."
A famed bridge builder. He's working on a bridge that will connect the Land of Waves to the mainland. However, he is threatened by Gato, a businessman who wants to stop him so that he can make money by holding a monopoly over the shipping and transport industry in the Land of Waves. Tazuna decides to hire a group of ninjas to defend him.
- The Bus Came Back: He and Inari briefly reappear after the Pain arc to help Konoha.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He may pick on Naruto and lie about missions, but he's a genuinely good guy just trying to help his country.
- Poor Communication Kills: Justified and lampshaded. Kakashi says that by lying about the nature of the mission he gave them, he risked the lives of the whole team. Tazuna responds by pointing out that he had to say it was a "C" rank mission, because the Land of Waves was so poverty-stricken that he couldn't afford to pay the "A" rank fee.
Tazuna's daughter, who lives with him.
- Berserk Button: She gets mad when Tazuna mentions Kaiza in front of Inari, because she knows how much it upsets her son.
- Stepford Smiler: She's pretty broken, what with losing her husband, then losing Kaiza. However, she tries to remain cheerful.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Tazuna isn't seen as attractive, but she is.
"'Hero?' You're dumb. There's no such thing."
Tsunami's jaded and cynical son. Inari's biological father died shortly after he was born, so he always considered Kaiza to be his father. However, after Kaiza's public execution he was overcome with grief and believed that all attempts to stop Gato would fail. Naruto helps him become a hero.
- The Bus Came Back: He and Tazuna briefly return after the Pain arc.
- The Cavalry: Shows up with all of the villagers from the Land of Waves to stop Gato's group of renegades.
- Character Development: When first introduced, he is cynical and cries a lot. Naruto helps him grow out of it and become a hero.
- The Cynic: When first introduced, he bitterly says that Naruto will be killed by Gato and claims that heroes don't exist. However, he grows out of it thanks to Naruto.
- Hope Bringer: Eventually helps to inspire hope among the citizens of the Land of Waves.
- In the Blood: He becomes a bridge builder like his grandfather.
"If something is precious to you, no matter how painful or how hard it seems, no matter what it may cost you, you have to hang in there and protect it with all the strength that you've got, even at the risk of your own life. If you do that, then even if you die in the attempt, at least the world will be left with proof that a man worth living had died."
A man who saved Inari from some bullies and quickly became part of his family. Inari always considered him his father. Was executed by Gato before the events of the Land of Waves arc.
- Bully Hunter: Absolutely despises those who pick on the weak.
- Determinator: No matter what it costs him, he will protect what is precious to him.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has an x-shaped scar on his chin.
- Parental Substitute: Inari always thought of him as his father, because his biological father died shortly after he was born.
- Posthumous Character: Was killed before the Land of Waves arc, but still had a character as clearly defined as the other characters from said arc.
- Second Love: Implied to be this for Tsunami, who lost her first love shortly after their son was born.
"Well if Poochie means so much to you, you better go save him."
Voiced by: Yuko Sato
(JP), Julianne Buescher (EN)
A kid who tried to steal Inari's dog Poochie when he was young, and nearly killed both Poochie and Inari.
- The Bully: He picks on Inari for no reason.
- If I Can't Have You: If he can't have a dog, it must drown.
- Kids Are Cruel: Steals Inari's dog, then tries to drown it when Inari chases after him. He then throws Inari into the river, and leaves Inari there even though it's apparent that Inari can't swim. When one of his fellow bullies voices an objection, he threatens to drown the kid.
A man working on Tazuna's bridge. He quits for his own safety, but Inari later inspires him to come back and help fight Gato.
- The Cavalry: He's a member of the group of civilians that appear to save the day at the end of the Land of Waves arc.
- Took a Level in Badass: At first he was terrified of Gato, but Inari inspires him and he joins the charge of civilians who come to stop Gato.
The long-lived and legendary leader of Amegakure ("The Hidden Rain Village"). The reason the Sannin are recognized as the Sannin is the fact that they were able to fight this guy to a draw. Pain later kills him and takes over Amegakure for his own goals, not that it prevents Kabuto from bringing him back to life with Edo Tensei..
- Animal Motifs: Salamander
- Asshole Victim: Pain destroyed him and everything ever connected to him. He personally had it coming, though maybe not everyone else connected to him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Black Eyes of Evil: Manga only.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Cool Mask
- Crazy Survivalist: Paranoid and frequently takes extreme measures to neutralize anything he sees as a threat. Antagonizes a group of very powerful but non-violent ninja out of paranoia they might try to usurp him. This eventually comes back to bite him when he and everyone he's ever known gets killed in revenge for his Moral Event Horizon.
- The Dreaded: Again, the reason the Sannin are revered throughout the world is because they were able to survive - that is, not win, but survive - a battle with him.
- Fallen Hero: Hanzo used to believe in peace, and wanted to unite the Five Great Ninja Villages, but then he got cynical around the Second Shinobi World War, and became only interested in protecting his nation, and specifically himself, and maintaining his power. Even Nagato used to respect him, but after the Akatsuki hostage situation which killed Yahiko, he returned (in Yahiko's body, no less) dismissing him as a coward, and killed him.
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: Mifune even notes that his attack isn't as sharp as it used to be.
- Master Poisoner
- Poisonous Person: Implanted the venom sac of a rare and dead black salamander into his body, giving him resistance to poison and making his entire body toxic.
- Poisoned Weapons: The kama of his kusari-gama is coated with salamander poison.
- Old Soldier
- Playing with Fire: His one jutsu shown (which uses exploding tags), other than his salamander summon, is stated to be a fire release.
- Posthumous Character: At least he was one until Kabuto revived him, anyways.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Redemption Equals Death: Having been revived by Kabuto and then lost to Mifune, who lectured him about his lost faith, he regains his faith in peace and decides to cut open the salamander venom sac implanted in his body so he can be sealed, preventing Kabuto from taking control of him.
- Scars Are Forever: Has one across his right cheek.
- Seppuku: He cuts open his own stomach after his second fight with Mifune. However, the actual reason isn't suicide, but to cut open the salamander venom sac implanted in his body, thus allowing him to be sealed.
- Sinister Scythe/Epic Flail: His weapon of choice is a kusari-gama.
- Sparing The Aces: He used to spare the lives of enemies strong-willed enough to give him a good fight; he did this with both the Sannin and Mifune.
- Super Speed: His speed was said to be unsurpassed over water.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: While he was interested in uniting the Great Ninja Villages, Nagato mentioned that Hanzo's war efforts are part of the reason the Land Of Rain became such a hellhole in the first place. Once Hanzo gave up on peace, his people continued to suffer because of him until Nagato took him down. Hanzo is a case of this trope not being played sympathetically, as we've seen that the good intentions Hanzo had starting out did not make him any less of a bastard later in life.
- The Worf Effect: While he managed to fight the Sannin to a draw and once fought and won against Mifune, he is killed off-panel by Pain, to show how dangerous he is. Then when he is resurrected by Edo Tensei, he is beaten by Mifune to give the series' samurai some credit. However, it's justified when you consider that Pain is a Six Man Army who pretty much worfs everyone, including the entire Hidden Leaf Village. Mifune also implies that Hanzo's been somewhat out of practice since his prime.
- Worthy Opponent: To Mifune.
The general in charge of the Land of Iron
, which is a neutral country with its own culture. It is unique among the countries, in that it is protected by samurai instead of hired ninja. He is a veteran soldier and a master swordsman, with a skillset that focuses on the use of Iai; the art of quickly drawing a sword for a slash before sheathing the sword again. He is so skilled with this technique that he is capable of interrupting ninja hand seals before they can be completed. As befitting a samurai, he is a poetic and philosophical man, and is not shy about sharing his ideals during fights with a Worthy Opponent
He acts as host and mediator during the Kage Summit that the Raikage calls forth in response to the threat of Akatsuki. During this summit, he puts forth the idea of forming an alliance between the Great Ninja Villages in response to the Akatsuki threat. He suggests Danzo be appointed leader of the alliance, as his village has the last remaining tailed-beast host, but when Ao accuses Danzo of using a Mind Control technique (which he admits to) he is outraged. When Sasuke invades the meeting room, he's the first to try to attack Sasuke, though Sasuke blocks it and runs after Danzo. After hearing of Madara's plan, he agrees to have his nation join the alliance against him. In the war against Madara, he is the commander of Division 5 AKA the Special OPS Division
- Acquired Poison Immunity: From surviving Hanzo's lethal salamander poison through a given antidote. It's put to great use when Hanzo is later Back from the Dead.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Cool Old Guy
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Hanzo may have taken on all three Sannin by himself, but he can't even touch Mifune in their battle. Granted, Hanzo was much, much stronger and the Sannin much weaker back then, but it still shows how good Mifune is.
- There's also the very important factor of Hanzo having lost the drive he had in life.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: Mifune goes helmetless for the Fourth Shinobi World War while still wearing armor.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: A master of the technique and fast enough with it to intercept a ninja about to perform hand-seals.
- I Was Quite a Looker
- Katanas Are Just Better
- Mage Killer: Sort of, in that he doesn't have ninjutsu or genjutsu, but just plain uses his mastery of Iai to stop enemy ninja from performing jutsu.
- Master Swordsman: Specifically known as a master of Iai, he's shown to be one of the best swordsmen in the series.
- Named After Somebody Famous: His name comes from the actor Toshiro Mifune, who is famous for his numerous roles as samurai and ronin. As well as that, his sword Meitou Kurosawa is named after the director Toshiro Mifune frequently worked with, Akira Kurosawa.
- Named Weapons: His katana is named Meitou Kurosawa.
- Name's the Same: Shares a name with another samurai with Implausible Fencing Powers
- Old Master
- Old Soldier
- Rapunzel Hair
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Mifune is a calm and wise leader with a neutral viewpoint upon the conflicts of the ninja villages. During the Kage Summit, in which he is host, he suggests the Kages form an alliance against Akatsuki. He also decides to join this alliance with his samurai after hearing of Tobi's plans.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Mifune and Hanzo engage each other in one twice. Once in the distant past, where Hanzo won, and now in the current time, where Mifune wins.
- Spellblade: He and the other samurai are capable of channeling chakra through their swords into various shapes.
- Laser Blade: Not completely straight, but the chakra surrounding their blades have essentially the same qualities as one.
- Sword Beam: The chakra can be used against foes for a devastating ranged attack.
- Super Mode: Gains a chakra cloak thanks to Naruto giving him chakra which greatly increases his power.
- The Stoic
- Talking Is a Free Action: Engages in a little philosophical debate in his first fight, which does not appear to impede him much.
- Warrior Poet: Quite appropriate seeing as he is a samurai, also has shades of The Philosopher; when we finally see him in battle, Mifune explains his philosophy on the nature of violence, peace, and heroism as he fights. The time spent making these points didn't seem to give his opponent much of an edge.
- Worthy Opponent: To Hanzo.
Okisuke (オキスケ, Okisuke) is a samurai from the Land of Iron and one of Mifune's right-hand-men and bodyguards alongside Urakaku.
Sage of the Six Paths: Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki
Voiced By: Toru Nakane (JP)
The creator of ninjutsu and founder of the ninja way. Born to Kaguya Ōtsutsuki, the founder of Chakra. Once the World Tree sought revenge for her consuming its sacred fruit, it unleashed the Juubi on the world; Hagoromo defeated the Ten-Tailed Beast and sealed it with himself, becoming the first jinchuuriki. Split it into nine pieces on his deathbed, which became the tailed beasts. His two sons were the ancestors of the Senju and Uchiha clans
- Anime Hair
- Badass: He was able to beat the Ten-Tailed Beast at the height of its power, something that nobody in the present considers possible.
- Badass Beard: Kurama's flashback reveals he had one prior his death
- Big Good
- Demigod: The son of the very first Chakra user, worshipped as a goddess, and presumably a mortal man.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Defeated and sealed the Ten-Tailed Beast within himself.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The Rinnegan.
- Feuding Families: Started the feud between the Uchiha and the Senju when he chose the Senju Clan's ancestor as his successor over the elder brother, the Uchiha Clan ancestor.
- Folk Hero: The son of Kaguya Otsutsuki, a woman who stole the power of chakra from the Ten Tailed Beast and was worshipped as a goddess. He himself is the ancestor of the Senju and Uchiha clans.
- Heroic Lineage: His descendants are the Uchiha and Senju/Uzumaki Clans, and he himself is the son of a woman revered as a goddess for being the first to use Chakra.
- Horned Humanoid: Played with. His horns are actually his hair.
- The Messiah: Defeated the 10-Tails and became the first Shinobi.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Ultimately the one responsible for all of the crap in the present day, and therefore led to...
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name was Hagoromo Otsutsuki.
- Parental Substitute: To the young Bijuu.
- Physical God: The most powerful character in the whole manga.
- Posthumous Character: Virtually everything we know about him is stated by other characters, most prominently Jiraiya, Pain, Tobi, Madara. Kurama also has a short flashback about him right before his death.
- Reality Warper: His power of "Creation of All Things", which he used to split the Ten Tails into the nine tailed beasts, inspired the Uchihas' Izanagi.
- Superpowerful Genetics: So super-powerful, in fact, that pretty much all the bad guys' master plan to become unstoppable is to attain his genetic components (the only one to attain all, the real Madara Uchiha, is easily the strongest ninja the world has ever known. After this guy).
- World's Strongest Man: Many characters regard him as the strongest being to ever live.
The very first Chakra user, as a result of eating a fruit from the world tree, and the mother of Hagoromo Otsutuski, aka, The Sage of Six Paths.
- Almighty Mom: The first chakra user, and the mom of the Sage of Six Paths.
- Badass: Single handedly stopped all conventional war.
- Meaningful Name: She is named after the moon princess of Shinto legend, Kaguya.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Despite ending all war, her consuming of the World Tree's fruit would eventually lead to ALL of the suffering found in the ninja world, after conventional weapons gave way to chakra based fighting.
- Neglectful Precursor: Like mother, like son...
- Physical Goddess: What the Sage of Six paths is to everyone else, she is implied to be this to him. She was worshipped as a goddess.
- Posthumous Character: Like her son, is only reffered to in past tense, though there is no indication she actually ever died like him...
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: See Nice Job Breaking It, Hero above.
- Walking Spoiler: Her entire existence is this.
- World Strongest Woman: Probably the most powerful woman who ever lived, possibly stronger then her son.
The guy who wrote the Naruto
manga (but only in Real Life
). In chapter three of the manga, a billboard with him on it is shown in Konoha.
- Creator Cameo: His face appears on a billboard.
- Famed in Story: Judging from the billboard, he's quite famous.
- The Ghost: He never actually appears. All we see of him is the billboard.