The Akatsuki ("sunrise" or "daybreak" note
) is a criminal organization consisting of no more than ten S-ranked
criminal ninja. (Orochimaru was once a member, but defected before the series started. He was never replaced, so the organization has nine members for the series proper.) They all seem to have their own agendas, but the primary group's goal is to Take Over the World
by seeking the nine Tailed Beasts. They work in pairs, with each partner's abilities and temperament complementing the other's. Their signature costume is a dark robe adorned with stylized red clouds, as well as broad-brimmed hats that they discard when discovered. They also wear their original shinobi headbands, but with a deep scratch across the emblem.
They mostly appear in Shippuden
— only Itachi, Kisame, and Zetsu appeared in the original series
at all while the rest appear in silhouettes. Itachi and Kisame appear in an arc that lasts ten chapters
(five episodes in the anime), and Zetsu's case was merely a cameo. They become much more active in the second series as their plan to capture and seal the Tailed Beasts begins to move forward in earnest.
This page grew so large that it needed to be split. You can find the sections for Tobi and Zetsu here
.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
The organization as a whole provide examples of...
- Anti-Villain: Their motives vary, but some of them qualify as this one way or another.
- Back from the Dead: The revived Akatsuki members, brought back by Kabuto to fight in the war: Deidara, Sasori, Kakuzu, Itachi, and Nagato/Pain. Also Hidan in the anime.
- Badass Crew: Everyone except Zetsu is Badass to the bone.
- Badass Longcoat: Their standard uniform is a high-collared black coat with red clouds.
- Black Cloak: In addition to the coats, they also have cloaks, although only Tobi is seen wearing one.
- Battle Strip: Once any of them come to their fight's climax, they remove their robe, willfully or from Clothing Damage. Every single Akatsuki member to do so has died, save for Konan, who died without stripping.
- Big Bad: They are the main antagonistic force of the entire series.
- Bigger Bad: In Part I, they mostly waited in the shadows as Orochimaru rampaged in the Leaf, but their presence and the danger they pose became evident when Itachi and Kisame first appeared.
- Cosmopolitan Council: They could stand some improvement gender-wise, but when your group contains a Shark Man and a walking venus fly trap you qualify.
- Dark Is Evil: One of the group's distinguishing traits is that each member wears a black cloak.
- Evil Duo: They operate in teams of two, usually complementing each other's skills and personalities. Itachi (stoic, fire-user, illusionist) and Kisame (talkative, water-user, tears people up with his BFS) set the trend.
- Hero Killer: Each of them is an effective in dominating over the cast with their powers; Hidan and Pain /Nagato are extremely efficient seeing as they killed Asuma and Jiraiya respectively.
- High Collar of Doom: Their cloaks reach right above their chins, looking rather ominous.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Just about all of them reveal at least one new ability or special attack.
- Knight of Cerebus: Their appearance was when the series took a darker turn.
- Meaningful Name: If you read the name as Red Moon, referring to Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi plan, which would turn the moon into a giant Sharingan able to hypnotize the entire world.
- Nice Hat: Elaborate straw hats covering their faces during travel. They work for reconaissance.
- Oddly Small Organization: For one of the most terrifying terrorist organizations in the world, there are never more than ten official members at a time. Quality beats quantity, as each member is capable of fighting an army, as their performance during the Fourth Shinobi World War indicates.
- Order vs. Chaos: The Order to Orochimaru's Chaos.
- Private Military Contractors: Subverted - this is what they tell the new guys the plan is. The higher ups have conflicting ideas about what the organization is actually planning.
- Ring of Power: Each member has a ring used to activate the statue which absorbs the Tailed-Beasts from their hosts.
- Standard Evil Organization Squad
- Villainous Friendship: Several of the pairs are friends, even if it is a Vitriolic Best Buds relationship.
Sasuke's Aloof Big Brother
is the Akatsuki member with the most screen time to date. He was believed to have killed his closest friend in order to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan, a more advanced form of the Sharingan with several unique abilities. He then proceeded to kill the entire Uchiha clan save Sasuke for reasons of his own, then abandoned the village to join Akatsuki.
Onscreen, he rarely moves and rarely speaks, but he's too good a fighter for even high-level ninja to take on. He was a prodigy as a child and has only gotten stronger since. He is an expert at genjutsu, is a master of the Fire-Style Techniques of his clan, and knows most of Konoha's signature jutsu, such as the Shadow Clone Jutsu; Itachi, uniquely, has demonstrated the ability to detonate his clones as an offensive technique when he no longer needs them. In addition, the Mangekyo Sharingan gives Itachi three extremely powerful but draining jutsu with which to fight: Amaterasu, a black flame hotter than the sun which can burn anything, even other flames; Tsukuyomi, a genjutsu which can bring its target to complete mental and physical collapse by tormenting them for what seems like days in just a few seconds
; and Susano'o, which summons a massive ethereal warrior which can attack and defend on Itachi's behalf. The new abilities the Mangekyo gives come with a price, however. Extended use causes the user's eyesight to fade, eventually resulting in complete blindness. The only way to combat this is to create a permanent Mangekyo Sharingan by replacing the user's eyes with his brother's.
His only appearance in the original series was directly after the Chunin Exam arc, when he appeared in Konoha with his partner Kisame to capture Naruto. He and Kisame easily defeated Kurenai, Asuma, and Kakashi, but retreated rather than become involved in a general melee. When Sasuke heard his brother was in the area, he immediately rushed out to challenge him, but Itachi easily beat him and Mind Raped
him in the process, further feeding Sasuke's inferiority complex. After Jiraiya chased the Akatsuki off, Itachi was ordered not to attempt to capture Naruto again until after the Time Skip
, Pain creates a clone of Itachi to serve as a delaying action during the Rescue Gaara arc. Team 7 beats it, and Itachi doesn't appear again until directly prior to his fight with Sasuke, where he briefly confronts Naruto, force-feeding him a crow containing one of his friend's Sharingan before leaving to duel his brother. He claims that he left Sasuke alive because he wanted to take Sasuke's eyes for himself. However, Itachi dies from a terminal illness before he can kill Sasuke. More about his character and his relationship with Sasuke is revealed after his death.
His hobby was visiting traditional Japanese cafés.
Favorite word: "peace"
- Disc One Final Boss: For Sasuke.
- The Dragon/ The Starscream: For Nagato as one of the Akatsuki zombies, and the both of them as Co-Dragons for Kabuto, but Itachi later escapes the latter's control.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Is hindered by near blindness, and a terminal illness during his fight with Sasuke, and was seeking to wear his brother down rather than actually kill him. The extent of how weakened he was during the fight is unknown, although Tobi explicitly states that if Itachi were serious, then Sasuke would be dead.
- The Dreaded: According to Tobi, Itachi's visit to Konoha early in the series was meant to intimidate the upper echelons of the village simply by reminding them he's still alive. Later, Tobi mentions that with Itachi's death, Konoha is no longer off limits, suggesting even he was scared of Itachi's power.
- Easily Forgiven/Karma Houdini: By Sasuke who went from loathing him to protecting his legacy (albeit in a way completely opposite to what Itachi wished) in the matter of a night. Ditto with some of the fandom. It helps that he was popular before The Reveal.
- Also by Naruto: even though Itachi can be directly responsible for what happened with Sasuke, Naruto doesn't give him any crap.
- Evil Genius: He's a genius. He's evil. Pretty self-explanatory. May also play this role within Akatsuki, given his Master of Illusion powers.
- Subverted later on, when we learn he was just pretending to be evil. He was certainly willing to Shoot the Dog though.
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: He was capable of doing ninjutsu, genjutsu, taijitsu, and/or shurikenjutsu simultaneously against a S-ranked opponent without any strain.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The Mangekyo Sharingan, of which his was the first revealed.
- Fallen Hero: He was the pride and joy of the Uchiha clan and Sasuke's idol before the massacre.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: After the Third Ninja War. At four years old.
- Although he is said to have witnessed it, not taken part in it. It's already horrible enough.
- Sibling Team: He and Sasuke against Kabuto.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Was this in Akatsuki all along alongside Orochimaru.
- So Proud of You: Right before his death, Fugaku bluntly told Itachi that no matter what, he was proud of him.
- Spanner in the Works: Itachi has foiled or complicated the plans of pretty much every single organization or chessmaster he's encountered in the series. Short list: the Uchiha clan, Danzo, Orochimaru, Team 7's attempts to rehabilitate Sasuke, Tobi, and Kabuto. Sadly, this includes a few of his own plans too — needlessly pushing an already vengeance-minded Sasuke over the edge and accidentally triggering his own failsafe in Naruto on himself. He further complicates Kabuto's plans by intending to force him to end the Edo Tensei, and seemingly puts a cork in Sasuke's Kill Konoha plan by promising to finally explain his motivations in exchange for his help in stopping Kabuto.
- Springtime for Hitler: Subverted. Tried to lose to Sasuke, failed to lose, then dropped dead anyway.
- Stealth Mentor: Was this to Sasuke, before he died.
- Stepford Smiler: Type C, acting like a kind and gentle boy to hide his plan to murder his clan pretty much for the heck of it. Although his mask started to slip quite a bit after Shisui died. Later revealed to be a Type A, he was kind and gentle but smiled to hide his despair at knowing he had no choice but to kill the people he loved. His attitude changed after Shisui's death because he was legitimately mourning his best friend.
- The Stoic
- Stoic Woobie]]
- Not So Stoic: During his final fight with Sasuke. Subverted in that it was actually fake.
- Turns out, he was crying hysterically when he killed their parents, so much so that they actually had to encourage him to go through with it.
- The Strategist: So good that all his fights degraded into well-oiled choreographs eventually.
- Suicide by Cop: Subverted. He kept himself alive despite being eaten up with disease so that 1) Sasuke could kill him, become a hero for Konoha and redeem their clan and 2) to punish himself for his sins. Ultimately, he died from by a combination of his disease and fighting Sasuke.
- Super Reflexes: So fast with his hand seals that the two other ninja with Super Reflexes can barely see a blur.
- Super Speed: Has been noted for making hand signs so fast that Kakashi couldn't keep track.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Towards Kabuto. He empathized with Kabuto because they both lived their lives as a spy and acted like people they were not. As Kabuto grew more obsessed of becoming like others, Itachi cast Izanami on Kabuto to trap him in a mental loop until he can accept his own identity and stop trying to be someone else. It seems to have worked as Kabuto showed up to help Sasuke later on, giving up on acquiring the Uchiha's power.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Along with Bleach's Ulquiorra is the anime poster boy of this trope.
- Tantrum Throwing: When his father and three other policemen start to lecture him about the importance of the clan (immediately after he's been accused of murdering Shisui) he hurls a kunai at one of the crests painted on a nearby wall, then goes off on a rant about how useless and limiting concepts like clans are.
- Teach Him Anger And Hate: Twice to Sasuke with a heavy dose of trauma and encouraging him to develop an obsession with power so the latter could become a loyal shinobi of Konoha and redeemer of the Uchiha Clan... yeah.
- Technical Pacifist: After the Third Shinobi World War, he became a pacifist above all else. His slaughter of the Uchiha clan was to prevent them from throwing Konoha into chaos and starting another war. He's one of the least violent fighters, only ever using enough power to accomplish his ultimate goals, of which just victory is a rare one...
- Thanatos Gambit: He had an emergency plan to stop Tobi from manipulating Sasuke by implanting an Amaterasu in his brother that would be triggered at the sight of Tobi's Sharingan. It failed. However, Itachi had a backup plan since he knew there would inevitably be a confrontation between his brother and Naruto. His backup plan was to brainwash Sasuke permanently to be loyal to Konoha forever with Shisui's eye that implanted in Naruto with the crow, which would activate during their fight. However, the one thing he did not count on was being resurrected and turned into a thrall by Kabuto. The power he gave Naruto is used on himself, which allows him to break Kabuto's geas with another. His Plan C appears to be "trust Naruto."
- Theme Naming: His Mangekyo Sharingan powers are named after Japanese gods. Of note is that these are the exact same gods who slew Orochimaru of the legendary Sannin of Konoha.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Kisame, early on. Par for the course for Akatsuki, who generally go about their grim business in pairs. This is given some depth in the two understanding each other, both being men lost without knowledge of their true selves, unable to forgive and acknowledge themselves. Itachi wants nothing more than death, Kisame wants his world of truth. Both live with the pain of having betrayed and killed their comrades and both. Later on he strikes up quite the rapport with Nagato, whom he helps about the battlefield as they involuntarily serve Kabuto.
- Tough Love: In the most extreme and twisted way possible. He would come to regret it later.
- Undying Loyalty: Uchiha Itachi will never betray Konoha, not even after death.
- The Unfettered: He will do anything to protect Sasuke and the Land of Fire.
- Subverted later. Not with the Land of Fire but he deemed Sasuke's free will an acceptable sacrifice, after realizing that his brother may have fallen too far to save.
- Vocal Dissonance: In the Japanese version, his deep voice is initially a bit off putting. The English dub gives him a higher-sounding, yet still fairly low voice.
- War Is Hell: His real motivation for killing off his clan. They were on the verge of starting a civil war (that would likely lead to a world war) and he was unable to convince them to call it off.
- Warrior Therapist: In a very odd way to Kabuto. Kabuto's arrogance, unwavering faith in his own abilities and belief he cannot fail and handle everything himself reminds Itachi of himself. Itachi was unable to let go of the selfish belief that he could shoulder every burden, which ended up making things far worse than if he hadn't tried at all. As a result, even though he knows what Kabuto is doing is wrong, Itachi wants to save Kabuto from the lies he tells himself, even if the methods he uses are a mite unconventional.
- Was It All a Lie?: Yes and no, depending on which "it" is being referred to. The insane, unrepentant murderer we first meet? Yeah, that's a huge lie. As for the loving (if extreme) brother Sasuke remembers? No, it wasn't.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In chapter 576 Sasuke tries to do this to him, trying to understand why his brother left him alive. Due to Itachi both being in a hurry to stop Kabuto and feeling he's messed Sasuke up too much already, Itachi keeps shutting Sasuke down with curt yet vague replies. He does at least confess that he wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could find redemption for the clan, but massive miscommunication still seems to be these two's standard.
- When He Smiles: Itachi rarely smiles, and most of the time it's rather unnerving. However, the few times he cracks a genuine smile are downright heart moving.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Itachi is incredibly advanced in the mental department. Far more than any teenager has any right to be.
- Worf Had The Flu: Subverted. He couldn't fight Sasuke at full force for two reasons: 1) he didn't want to; 2) he was terminally ill.
- Has a tendency to fight people who are affected by this though, Orochimaru being the most notable mention.
- Would Hit a Girl: Up to and including his own mother.
- You Are What You Hate: Vividly believed this at one point in his life, but then accepted himself for who he was and acknowledged his mistakes in death.
A former member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, Kisame is a polite, but a savage warrior who loves to fight
. He is partners and good friends with Itachi, and owns a sentient sword called Samehada ("Sharkskin" in the dub and as a rough translation) which can absorb chakra from anything it shaves, and can fuse with him to transform him into an anthropomorphic shark. He also possesses an enormous amount of chakra that is compared to the level of a tailed beast.
, a clone of his is beaten by Guy, then he doesn't do too much but hang around Itachi. He later gets assigned to go after the Eight-Tailed Ox and seemingly gets killed for his troubles. It is later revealed that was just a clone and Kisame manages to infiltrate Kumogakure by hiding in his sword. His cover ends up blown and he fights Guy again, but rather than give up the information upon losing he commits suicide by having his own shark summons eat him. It was revealed that Kisame was Tobi's Psycho Supporter
since before his days as a member of the Seven Swordsmen, and served as the personal bodyguard of the Fourth Mizukage, who was Tobi's puppet.
His hobby was taking care of his sword, Samehada.
Favorite phrase: "The weak are meat, the strong eat", a Japanese idiom for survival of the fittest.
- Actually a Doombot: Happens twice.
- Affably Evil: Cheerful, polite, and always pleased to make the acquaintance of someone new. Like Itachi, he'll also give opponents the chance to back down, which makes him very different from most of his teammates, who can be anywhere from naturally cruel to just plain genocidal.
Hiruko Voice: Yutaka Aoyama (JP) J.B. Blanc (EN)
A Mad Artist
and Marionette Master
notable for being very impatient. Before being destroyed by Sakura Haruno, Sasori was usually found maneuvering inside a large, hollow puppet called Hiruko as a means of transportation. It crawled on the ground and featured a scorpion tail that - like most of his weapons - was doused in poison.
His grandmother was Chiyo, who taught him how to master puppets in order to divert his attention away from his absent mother and father (who were killed by The White Fang of Konoha, although Sasori did not know this - he was told by Chiyo that they were on another long mission). He developed a technique to convert living humans into puppets, thus creating puppets who could use jutsu. Kidnapped the Third Kazekage and converted him into one of these puppets, somewhere along the way converted himself
into a puppet, and then fled the village to subsequently join the Akatsuki, where he was partnered with Orochimaru, with whom he worked well together with. After his partner's betrayal of the organization, Sasori sent Kabuto as a spy to infiltrate Orochimaru's ranks and retrieve information.
He was then paired up with Deidara, a fellow art enthusiast. The downside was that they had conflicting views on art, Sasori for "eternal" and Deidara for "fleeting". They frequently argued over this concept, even amidst confrontation with the Leaf ninja sent to retrieve Gaara. Sasori fought his grandmother Chiyo and Sakura, eventually using his own puppet body in battle. He was killed by being pierced in the heart by the first two puppets he ever created: replicas of his Mother and Father.
His body serves as Kankuro's newest puppet, but Kabuto has used Edo Tensei to revive his spirit as well. In the first fight of the Fourth Ninja War, Kankuro defeats Sasori, telling him how he should not be a puppet to Kabuto. Sasori, moved by this speech, dissolves from his temporary body, giving Kankuro his Mother and Father puppets and telling him to take care of them.
His hobby was remodeling his puppet collection.
Favorite phrase was "Eternal beauty"
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Happens, mixed with Pulling Themselves Together, when he reattaches his head to his body. In the anime it also happens to his hands when he uses the Water Scroll.
- Alas, Poor Villain: His parents were killed by Kakashi's father, leading him to question his beliefs about life in general; even when his grandma Chiyo tried to help him make puppets shaped like his parents, it made the pain more obvious and ultimately led him to his dangerous obsession with Immortality.
- Anatomy Arsenal: See below.
- The Ageless: Due to being a puppet.
- Animal Motifs: Scorpions, of course.
- Awesome, but Impractical: His bladed shoulder blades allow him to fly via the propeller motion they make and can function as swords or a giant powersaw, but because they're attached to his hips it's hard to fight with them properly due to the angle they're situated at.
- Badass: Being in Akatsuki automatically qualifies for this, and he could've defeated Sakura and Chiyo, but chose to die at the hands of his puppets.
- He also personally killed the Third Kazekage, who was apparently the strongest ninja his village had ever produced. This makes Sasori the strongest ninja in Sunagakure´s history.
- Badass Boast: "Since I don't like waiting or making other people wait... I'll end this quickly."
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Both his Hiruko puppet and his body have a scorpion-like tail.
- Body Horror: If 95% of his body being a Creepy Doll wasn't enough, the 5% that's left is an unnamed part of his original human body that is as purple as his poison.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Turning human bodies into puppets is a hobby for him.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Applies to his ultimate technique. The less puppets he controls the better he controls each one. Justified by having more attention to spare as the numbers dwindle.
- Creepy Doll: After The Reveal of this being why he hadn't aged, the anime wastes no time raising the creep-o-meter a few notches.
- Cyborg: Kinda.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: After the death of his parents.
- Evil Genius: For Akatsuki alongside Orochimaru - who both seem to fit the role - and for the revived Akatsuki by Kabuto.
- Freudian Excuse: Suggested to some degree that the death of his parents and his attempting to replace them with puppets caused him to turn evil, but Chiyo suggests that the Sand Village teachings caused it.
- Go Out with a Smile: After his defeat by Kankuro.
- Heart Drive: Has one that functions as his core.
- Hidden Weapons: In each and every puppet.
- Heel Realization: After being revived, Kankuro's words caused him to renew his faith in humanity again
- Immortality Immorality: Believes that by becoming a puppet one can attain eternal life, and has some fairly twisted views on human life. He was, rather poetically, the first of the Akatsuki to get taken down in season two.
- In-Series Nickname / Awesome McCoolname: Akasuna no Sasori (Sasori of the Red Sand/Scorpion of the Red Sand).
- Irony: He hates waiting, but because of his puppet body he technically has all the time in the world.
- He claims that emotion is a form of weakness despite having a heart but no brain.
- Yet thanks to them, Kankuro could set him free of Kabuto´s control.
- His body is now used as a puppet by Kankuro, whom Sasori had easily defeated way earlier.
- And now his soul is a puppet for Kabuto, who was once under his control as a spy.
- Leitmotif: "Shitsui" Translates as 'Despair'.
- Mad Artist: Believes that art lasts forever.
- Making a Splash/Playing with Fire: Thanks to fire and water sealed into scrolls, he's able to use the guns in his puppet body's hands for at least those two elemental attacks. First flamethrowers hot enough to melt rock, then water streams intense enough to cut or smash through it (this one is Anime only).
- Marionette Master: He created the puppets used by Kankuro, and was the most skilled puppeteer in the world while he was alive.
- Master Poisoner: His poisons were nigh incurable to the best of the Sand's medical corps.
- Meaningful Name: "Sasori" means "scorpion". Sasori's Hiruko armor runs on all four and has a bladed tail, Sasori uses Poisoned Weapons, and he uses a scorpion as his symbol on the puppets he created before his defection.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast / Red Baron: He´s known as Akasuna no Sasori, literally "The Scorpion of the Red Sand".
- Older than They Look: He's 35 years old but his puppet body, which he created 20 years ago, looks like a teenager.
- One-Man Army: Literally. Sasori used his Performance of a Hundred Puppets to bring down a small country.
- Passing the Torch: To Kankuro.
- People Puppets: Indulges in this after being revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei due to a lack of usable puppets at his disposal. He combines this with Deidara's explosive clay to turn an incapacitated ninja from Konoha into a suicide bomber.
- Pulling Themselves Together: After Sakura seemingly destroys his puppet body.
A Mad Artist
and Mad Bomber
who likes Stuff Blowing Up
. The former student of the Third Tsuchikage, Deidara has mouths in his palms which shape explosive clay, along with a stitched mouth on his chest. He defected from his village of Iwagakure and worked for various anti-government terrorist groups because they readily supplied him with chances to show off his "art". He was forcibly recruited into Akatsuki by Itachi, and hates him and the Sharingan for his dismal defeat.
His first partner was Sasori, with whom he frequently argued about what "true art" was (Sasori vouching for 'eternal' art in the form of puppets, and Deidara siding with 'fleeting' art in the form of his bombs). He single-handedly captured Gaara during the first arc of Shippuden, but not without having his arm crushed and subsequently ripped off by the Kazekage's sand, while his other arm was sent to another dimension when confronted by Kakashi. He managed to successfully fight against the entirety of Team Guy with no arms
After Sasori's death he was paired with Tobi, with whom he assumes the role of a reluctant and impatient elder. With Tobi, he successfully captures the Three-Tailed Beast. After a pitched battle with Sasuke, Deidara tries to defeat him by using his own body combined with his clay as a mini-nuke
. He fails; Sasuke survived by summoning the giant snake Manda
to block the explosion.
He was later revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei, joining Kabuto in finding Killer Bee and Naruto, mistakenly believing he killed Sasuke with his final attack. During the Fourth Ninja World War he was teamed with Sasori and Shin, Sai's adopted brother. He was defeated by Sai and imprisoned by Kankuro until the Edo Tensei was ended.
His hobby was experimenting with explosions.
Favorite phrase: "Art is an Explosion!"
- An Arm and a Leg: Has one arm ripped off in the battle with Gaara, and the other teleported to another dimension by Kakashi. We see later that he's had both re-sewn back, though they never give an explanation of how they were recovered.
- Art Attacker: His fighting style.
- Ax-Crazy: Not as much as Hidan, but is obsessed dangerously with art.
- Badass: He didn't come to Akatsuki. Akatsuki came to HIM.
- Berserk Button: People not giving his "art" the awe he feels it deserves. He can appreciate a fellow artist with a different philosophy, but Itachi and Sasuke drive him insane. The fact that Itachi effortlessly tricked him into near-suicide the day they met doesn't help.
- Bishounen: So much that many fans thought he was a girl at first.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: More Selfish Evil rather than For the Evulz, but still counts.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Despite his power being instantaneous, he likes to take things slow, something that in itself is conflicting with his ideal of short-lived beauty.
- He does however get defeated in the shortest amount of time compared to the other Akatsuki.
- Catch Phrase: "Art is a blast!" Doubles as his Famous Last Words.
- Dark Chick: Serves this role in both Original Flavor and Zombified Akatsuki. He doesn't care about his leaders' cause, nor does he have one of his own besides spreading his "art", and is one of the less serious members overall.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: If everyone didn't keep saying "he", Deidara would be considered the second female member of the Akatsuki. Hell, he could pass off as Ino's evil twin.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His bombs were made of clay and thus susceptible to the same vulnerabilities as other earth ninjutsu.
- Evil Laugh: Not as often as Hidan, but still frequently.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's far from a sympathetic character, but he's often entertaining to watch.
- For the Evulz: Before being forcefully recruited into Akatsuki, he worked for various anti-government factions for no reason but the opportunity to blow things up, and Pain said his reason for fighting is "just because".
- Go Mad from the Revelation: He gets pretty unhinged when he realizes that Itachi's Sharingan is more artful than his bombs.
- Having a Blast: A lot of the time, and half of it comprises his Catch Phrase.
- Horse of a Different Color: Will perch himself on a variety of different clay birds while he rains hell on his opponents.
- Hot-Blooded: To the point of having a Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Large Ham: Not as much as Hidan, but he is proud to be an artist.
- Mad Artist: Of the belief that true art fades in an instant.
- Mad Bomber: His specialty, even before he joined Akatsuki.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Felt this way about Orochimaru, partly because his departure resulted in him being forced to join Akatsuki.
- He also wanted to use his most powerful techniques on Itachi and Sasuke, only because he hated the Sharingan.
- Pet the Dog: Right before pulling his Taking You with Me, he mentally apologizes to Tobi.
- Power Perversion Potential: He has hands with autonomous mouths (fully decked with teeth and tongue) in his palms, and another in his chest. Freud Was Right.
- Psycho for Hire: Of the Terrorist Without A Cause variety.
- Screaming Warrior: Not as much as Hidan, but still is one due to his pride as an artist.
- Shout-Out: To Japanese artist Tarô Okamoto. Deidara's Catch Phrase is a quote, while his ultimate explosion has the shape of Okamoto's Tower of the Sun.
- The Sociopath: Not as much as Hidan or Tobi/ Obito, but it's still safe to say he doesn't care for anything beyond his own art.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Does occasionally happen.
- Taking You with Me: Attempted on Sasuke, but it didn't work.
- Terrorist Without A Cause: Pain says his reason is "Just Because".
- Too Many Mouths: Has mouths on his palms. And one over his heart for his Suicide Attack.
- Übermensch: He believes that his ninjutsu is a work of art that should inspire others for its short lived brilliance, while every other ninja does not put nearly as much pride in their techniques.
- Unknown Rival: He can't stand the Uchiha siblings' cooler-than-thou attitude and utter indifference to his "art". To him, It's Personal. To them, he's an annoying idiot. He spends his fight with Sasuke trying to provoke some kind of reaction, while Sasuke just wants him to give up Itachi's location. After his self-destruction and revival, he learns that Sasuke not only survived, but still doesn't think any more of him.
- Verbal Tic: Adds "hm" to the end of every other sentence, hm.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Sasuke was getting the better of him
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first really challenging opponent for Sasuke in Part II.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: In one filler episode during the Shinobi World War, he ponders the fact that his Edo Tensei body will never age or decay, and cannot even be permenently destroyed. Played with, as his angst isn't so much about the pains of living forever as much as it is the fact that the concept of his newfound immortality (such as it is) clashes with his view of art.
"Hidan, anyone with a brain would know that the world revolves around money!
Kakuzu is a Nigh Invulnerable
and almost immortal Bounty Hunter
who cares only about money. He is old enough to have once fought the First Hokage, and can make his body as hard as stone
and extend his body into thred-like tendrils
. The source of his immortality is his ability to incorporate other peoples' hearts into his body, extending his lifespan and allowing him to use their elements. Paired with Hidan due to his habit of killing his other partners, he captured the Two-Tailed Cat and attempted to go after the Nine-Tailed Fox, but was crippled by Naruto's newest Rasengan variant, and killed by Kakashi. He was revived by Kabuto's Edo Tensei and sent to fight alongside Kinkaku and Ginkaku, but was sealed.
His hobby was reading old and rare books.
Favorite phrase: "If you're prepared, there won't be any sorrow"
"As the other dies, their agony radiates through my body, and living through it is pure ecstasy!
Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma
(JP), Chris Edgerly (EN), Víctor Martínez (Spain)
An immortal ninja who wields a Sinister Scythe
, Hidan is murderously insane
and follows a Religion of Evil
. Foul-mouthed and arrogant, he hates
his partner, Kakuzu
just about everyone. Fuelling his immortality is a gruesome
ritual that can transfer injuries to his enemies, and being immortal he can survive even losing his head
. He kills Asuma with this power, and in revenge Shikamaru dismembers him and buries
the still-speaking pieces alive
. And it seems that he's still not dead: Kabuto is able to bring back to life
almost every defeated member of Akatsuki EXCEPT him.]] However, Kabuto does create a snake clone of him in the Chikara Arc special by harvesting some of the old Hidan's DNA, but when the snakes composing the clone's body burn out their lifespans, the clone crumbles into oblivion.
His hobby is "Jashinistic" activities.
Favorite words: "massacre" and "Jashinism"
- And I Must Scream: Buried alive while being kept living by his immortality.
- Another Man's Terror: Hidan experiences his victims' final moments. Though he doesn't exactly feel terror from the experience.
- Ax-Crazy: The most openly deranged and bloodthirsty member of the group.
- Back from the Dead: Played with in one filler arc. His 'real' self is still buried at the Nara shrine, but Kabuto manages to recreate an entire edo Hidan from some of his cells. The fact that even the neo Hidan's personality matches the original is played for laughs.
- Badass: His first reaction to be stabbed through the chest with 2 swords? "Who the hell are you?"
- Blade on a Stick: Carries around several collapsible spikes in order to inflict precise self injury.
- Blood Knight: Fighting is quite literally all he lives for, and the specific reason why he left his village in the first place.
- Blood Magic: Uses his opponent's blood to link his body with theirs, and typically uses his own to draw the circle.
- Bloodbath Villain Origin: Killed his fellow villagers because they made the village into a bathing resort... BECAUSE it meant no more violence.
- The Brute: He and Kakuzu fulfill this role for Akatsuki early on, although he's more of the traditional Dumb Muscle.
- Characterization Marches On: Hidan is noticeably more level-headed when he debuts fighting Yugito compared to the Ax-Crazy Psychopathic Manchild he is portrayed as later.
- Chew Toy: Official Title in Akatsuki. Kakuzu when enraged would kill his partners. Solution: Give him an immortal one. An obnoxious, swearing, religious nut one. A strange amalgamation of stress reliever/punishment apparently.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In some fan translations.
- Combat Sadomasochist: "Let me feel your pain!"
- Confusion Fu: He swings around his scythe on a long cord, making it fly around unpredictably, and thus making it tougher to block.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Well, subverted in that he cannot die, but being blown up to pieces and buried while alive certainly is cruel and unusual.
- Dumb Muscle: Incredibly stupid, with no sense of tactics or strategy and a penchant for just charging into situations without thinking. Hidan would have been taken out many times over if not for Kakuzu's brains.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He doesn't condone blasphemy or attacking priests. Although he stil willingly does the latter when he thinks he can get a good fight out of it.
- Evil Albino: Has white hair and magenta eyes.
- Evil Gloating: Kakuzu is really irritated about that to the point of constantly making (useless) death threats.
- Evil Laugh: A particular offender.
- Fate Worse than Death: Word of God states that his head will rot before his immortality runs out.
- For the Evulz: His religion seems to be built around a sadistic god who encourages his followers to murder For the Evulz.
- Fragile Speedster: Sorta. He's incredibly quick and agile, but his style doesn't lend itself to close combat and he's physically quite fragile and easy to incapacitate. His immortality and Kakuzu's ability to sew him up prevent him from experiencing any real consequences of this, but it's safe to say that without the latter, he would have been in his current situation a long time ago.
- From a Single Cell/Cloning Blues: In the Chikara anime filler arc he is brought back by Kabuto. However, he used a cloning method different from the Edo Tensei resurrection. Instead he uses a lake to regenerate the clone.
- Giggling Villain
- The Grim Reaper: What his ritual does as a type of One-Winged Angel.
- Hot-Blooded: Never thinks things through, and charges into trouble without a second thought.
- Hypocritical Humor: Once cracks a joke about his enemies attacking clergymen. Of course, his religious dogma is Thou Shalt Massacre Thy Neighbor.
- Immortality: Type 6.
- Irony: That fancy immortality of his? It's the only thing that's keeping him from being brought back with the other beaten Akatsuki by Kabuto, meaning that he's stuck where Shikamaru buried him until he dies from malnutrition.
- Jerk Ass: He's a rude, disrespectful, vulgar, and generally repellent jackass on his very best days.
- Kick the Dog: He takes time during his fight with Team 10 to insult Asuma, who he had killed eariler; then he calls Choji fat.
- Large Ham: He really hams it up once he starts his ritual, even Shikamaru calls him out for this.
- Laughably Evil: He is a psychopathic monster, but loves being evil so much, that he becomes enjoyable in his hamminess and crazy antics.
- The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort: Thanks to his arrogance over being immortal.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He's the most impulsive member of the organization.
- Leitmotif: "Hidan"
- Licking the Blade: It's necessary for his ritual.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Whenever he is injured, though he does feel the pain. Justified, as he's immortal.
- Mr. Fanservice: Sort of, given he's an almost Walking Shirtless Scene.
- Obligatory Swearing: In many fanlations, less so in Viz translations, to convey his very rude way of talking.
- Psycho for Hire: The biggest example in the Akatsuki as he's literally there for acting psychotic and killing as many people as possible.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Has a tendency to act like a teenager enjoying an adrenaline rush, complete with much smack talk and "woo-hoo"ing.
- Religion of Evil: Follows the religion of Jashin, which literally means "evil god", and requires killing his opponents.
- Religious Bruiser: See Religion of Evil above.
- Sinister Scythe: Weapon of Choice, more for drawing blood than fatally injuring opponents. Has three blades.
- Smug Snake: Not only is he a loudmouthed psychopath, but he's also an arrogant dick who thinks that he's invincible.
- Stupid Evil
- Synchronization: Once he uses his Blood Magic.
- Those Two Bad Guys: With Kakuzu and apparently with Deidara during the Chikara filler arc. Ironically, the two argue no less than he and Kakuzu did, if not more so since they are more similar than they'd like to think.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: While they disagree and bicker a lot, him and Kakuzu clearly have some mutual respect for each other.
- White Hair, Black Heart
The figurehead leader of Akatsuki, Pain possesses the Rinnegan, the predecessor to the Sharingan, which allows the user to use all six elements and learn any jutsu. Orphaned by the Land of Rain's civil war, Nagato was raised by Jiraiya, who believed him to be the prophecized Chosen One
, alongside his friends Konan and Yahiko, with whom he would later found the Akatsuki. When Hanzo, the leader of the Hidden Rain village, and Danzo, set a trap, Yahiko was killed and in his rage Nagato summoned the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path, crippling himself in the process. Believing his suffering had caused him to become enlightened and his power caused him to become a god
, Nagato took on the alias of Pain and outfitted six corpses, including Yahiko's, with chakra receivers and used them to take over the Hidden Rain village. Pain wanted to use the Tailed Beasts to create a weapon of mass destruction which can be used to put an end to war
. Each of his six (actually seven) different bodies possesses a different skill, and can't be defeated unless all of them are killed at once. The bodies are all ninja Jiraiya fought as he wandered the earth. His first physical appearance has him engaging his old master in battle in the Hidden Rain Village until Jiraiya killed one of his bodies and sent it back to Konoha (along with a toad bearing the message "The real one isn't there"), but he was eventually overwhelmed and killed.
He quickly replaced the missing body with a new one, and arrived in Konoha in the hopes of capturing Naruto. After his bodies engage - and in some cases, are defeated by - Konoha's villagers, he rounds them all up and uses Shinra Tensei, an ability which nukes the city. He fights the newly-empowered Naruto in a long drawn out battle that bumped the HSQ
up a few notches. Finally, Nagato is defeated and after accepting Naruto's ideals about peace, uses a jutsu to revive many of the Konoha ninja he killed, dying in the process. However, Kabuto resurrects him later with Edo Tensei and pairs him with a similarly resurrected Itachi, who helps him move around. They engage Naruto and Bee, where it is revealed that he can use all of the Six Paths' jutsu without the bodies, and nearly kills the pair until a liberated Itachi intervenes and seals him with Susano'o. He is eventually revealed to be a descendant of the Uzumaki clan, just like Naruto.
His hobby was practising ninjutsu.
Favorite phrase: "The stars are hidden on a rainy night". As a child, it was "Growing up".
- A God Am I: And he has the power to back it up.
- A God I Am Not: During his battle with Naruto however, he reveals that this attitude is simply a farce on his part. He actually does not think that he's a god. In fact, he repeatedly tells Naruto during their battle that he is only a man, and as such, he cannot find a perfect solution to the problem of the 'Cycle of Hatred' in the shinobi world.
- Affably Evil: If you don´t stand between him and a Jinchuuriki, he won´t harm you. Even then he´s always polite and doesn't kill unnecessarily unless it can lure out Naruto
- Ambition Is Evil: Surprisingly inverted: Him wanting to change the world is viewed in a very positive light. How he wanted to change it is where he gets into trouble.
- Antagonist Abilities:
- Area of Effect: Shinra Tensei hits everything in a complete spherical radius around himself. However, the greater he extends the range, the longer it takes for the power to return.
- Attack Reflector: Shinra Tensei can reflect any jutsu used against him, as well as people.
- Energy Absorption: The Preta Path can absorb any jutsu used against him.
- Hydra Problem: The Animal Path can summon hounds that split when cut or struck.
- Mind Manipulation: Via Your Soul Is Mine, the Human Path can absorb all knowledge a target has.
- The Paralyzer: He manages to paralyze Naruto's movements somewhat when he stabs him with multiple control rods.
- People Puppets: His main gimmick. He controls six bodies remotely, while his real one is hiding safe and sound.
- Shoot the Medic First: The Naraka Path can infinitely revive the others as long as he's around.
- Summon Magic: The Animal Path can summon creatures and people.
- Super Senses: All of the Pains can see what each other one sees.
- Anti-Villain: Vic Mignogna's performance manages to drive this home even further than the original seiyuu.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The purpose of the Animal Path is to invoke this trope.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Pain's interrogation methods. He uses two main abilities to try to find Naruto, one of which can instantly read the mind of those it touches. On it's own, this is perfectly practical. His other, however, can kill anybody who either lies to him or refuses to answer his question. Meaning anybody who actually knows ends up dead... This does spare him the trouble of having to look up misinformation, though.
- His mind reading would be practical if it didn't rip out the person's soul, making it essential that the person had outlived his/her usefulness.
- Awesome McCoolname: PAIN
- Badass: The combination of the Rinnegan's powers with his attitude and fighting ability make him one of, if not the, strongest shinobi of the current generation.
- The three Sannin couldn't beat Hanzo. Pain completely destroyed him, has never lost a fight (and he´s presumed to be at least 30), easily defeated the entirety of Konoha and would´ve completely destroyed Naruto if it wasn't for the fact that Deva´s powers were down for a good 10 minutes after the Shinra Tensei and the vast amount of help Naruto had with him. He is easily the most badass character in the entire show. Oh, and he went up against a Six-tailed Naruto with 1 body left... and WON.
- When Kabuto revives him, he shows that he´s even more badass than we could possibly expect by curbstomping Naruto´s Chakra Mode, Killer Bee and Itachi (after all, Itachi had been hit by the blindsiding OHKOing Shinra Tensei too and spent the time regenerating). He only gets sealed after all three of them destroy the Chibaku Tensei core. And even this arguably only happened due to his controller, Kabuto, being careless, and didn't even know of Nagato's sensing abilities which made up for when his Rinnegan got blinded...
- Badass Baritone: The voices of the 6 Paths of Pain, barring the female Animal Path, are all extremely deep.
- Badass Transplant: His Rinnegan actually belong to Madara, who removed them and somehow implanted them into Nagato without his awareness.
- Bald of Evil: The Asura Path is bald. And evil.
- Berserk Button: He does not like people questioning his ideals as Tsunade learned the hard way.
- Big Bad: Seemed to be this for a long time. Subverted when he turns out to be the right hand man for Tobi, the real leader from behind the scenes.
- Blood Knight: Despite of his ideas of peace, he really wanted to fight Naruto in his Nine-Tailed form according to the databooks; unfortunately, it was too much for him.
- This does explain why he pissed off Naruto once to do so, and complimenting him as a fellow student.
- Not to mention that he briefly shows an uncharacteristic expression of awe ("The nine tailed fox' power... is amazing...") when he fought the six tails, like he was feeling the thrill of fighting a worthy opponent for the first time.
- Break the Cutie: His entire backstory.
- Cast from Lifespan: The Rinnegan's more powerful techniques take years off his life. He dies from overusing them.
- Combo Platter Powers: The Rinnegan's powers are basically a mish-mash of various powers that are all Game Breakers in their own right.
- Aura Vision: He can see chakra in a manner similar to the Byakugan.
- Elemental Powers: He can use all five, but unlike Kakuzu it comes naturally.
- Hive Mind: The Six Paths of Pain technique which controls six bodies that are in constant communication, and it's justified in that they're being controlled and coordinated by one person. Each path is also granted a different power...
- Deva Path: Which has limited control over gravity through pushing and pulling things, as well as the ability to create what is best described as a miniature black hole.
- Asura Path: Which transforms the body into a cybernetic Anatomy Arsenal, including an Arm Cannon, Beware My Stinger Tail, Multi-Armed and Dangerous, Multiple Head Case, Rocket Boots and Rocket Punch.
- Human Path: Which can read the mind and soul as well as tear it from the body.
- Animal Path: Which summons Bond Creatures controlled by the Rinnengan including a Stone Panda, a Giant Buffalo, a giant centipede, a giant bubble blowing crayfish, a Hell Hound that can separate its many heads into new bodies, a gigantic drill-beaked bird and Giant Chameleon.
- Preta Path: Which absorbs and seals chakra and ninjutsu.
- Naraka Path: Which summon an entity that tears the tongue from liars and regenerates the other paths.
- Outer Path: Which can resurrect the deceased as well as controls the Statue of the Outer Path.
- Cosmic Plaything: His entire backstory is him being this; ironically prior to his death, he had enough power to make the entire shinobi world into a literal plaything.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Every battle Nagato/Pain has participated in to some extent.
- vs. Jiraiya: Though Jiraiya was able to defeat three of his Paths, when Pain brought out all six he lost quickly. Pain does concede that if Jiraiya knew the secrets of his abilities he would have had a sizable chance of beating Pain.
- vs. Konoha: Fighting an entire village and only temporarily losing one expendable Path puts the assault square into this category.
- vs. Sage Naruto: The first time ever that the Six Paths had faced a challenge, and that quickly disappeared after Deva Path's powers returned.
- vs. 9-Tail Naruto, Killer Bee & Edo Itachi: Not so much a Curb-Stomp Battle as a massacre until Itachi unleashed Susanoo and used the one thing that had a chance of beating him in that situation.
- Cute Bruiser: The second Animal Path.
- Cynicism Catalyst: He and Konan became villains after the death of their best friend Yahiko.
- Dark Messiah: Nagato has the same goal of bringing about peace as Naruto does. His methods, however...
- Darth Vader Clone: Grievous injuries? Check, if you count loss of leg use. Evil Sounds Deep? Check. The Dragon to the Big Bad (who is another Darth Vader Clone)? Check again. Freudian Excuse? Check check. It even with the extra mile, with Pain battling his former teacher, Jiraiya, and being responsible for the man's death. What he has that the other Darth Vader Clone lacks is a Heel Realization shortly before death, an iconic Leitmotif, being related to The Hero, and being able to emotionally crush The Hero while he's on the ropes.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: Nagato, or more specifically the Six Paths, had never encountered someone who could fight him on even grounds until Naruto. To be fair though, he did admit that Jiraiya would have kicked his ass if he had known the workings of his techniques.
- Actually, Villain Sacrifice. Before Naruto came Pain fought and defeated the entire Hidden Village. And Nuked It. Naruto came with a Super Mode and the strongest warriors of the Frog village, and was defeated. He fought with the Nine-Tails all out and was technically defeated. Even the last Path needed all the juice Naruto had left to take. And when Nagato met with Naruto face-to-face he could use all the Paths' Powers, had Konan with him, and enough chakra left to revive the entire Village.
- Deus Angst Machina: Pretty much Nagato's entire backstory.
- Deus ex Machina: Pain pulls a case of Redemption Equals Death and revives everyone that he'd killed in the last thirty chapters or so. Bonus points to him for considering himself a god and sitting in a machine.
- Disc One Final Boss: Deva Path to Nagato, Nagato to Tobi.
- The Dragon: For quite a while, everyone thought this guy would be the Big Bad, but he was actually working as a figurehead for Tobi.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Nagato, using the Six Paths of Pain, gave Naruto the fight of his life. Using his own single body after being resurrected, is an even more massive Badass despite his crippled legs, as he managed to overwhelm Naruto (in Nine-Tails Chakra Mode), Killer B (in perfect jinchūriki form), and Itachi (who, this time, lacked the weakness of low chakra reserves and eye side-effects). Who knows what would have happened if this guy could've used his legs?
- Dramatically Missing The Point: The portion of the fandom that thinks Naruto should have killed him.
- Evil Counterpart: Naruto's third one. He's even a fellow descendant of the Uzumaki clan.
- Evil Cripple: Nagato lost full use of his legs after saving Konan from Hanzo's fire attack.
- Evil Red Head: Yahiko, and all of Pain's bodies (even the ones that weren't in life) except the bald Asura path, have orange hair, while Nagato has dark red hair.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Has the Rinnegan, after all.
- Fat Bastard: Preta Path is overweight.
- Fallen Hero: Nagato was once an idealist, until Tobi sunk his claws into him.
- Freak Out: Nagato after Yahiko's death
- From Nobody to Nightmare: While he is a descendant of the Sage of Six Paths and Uzumaki clan, he was born to a normal family of non-shinobi people, as well as a Street Urchin who stole food to survive. Who would've thought he'd grow up to be the "leader" of the Akatsuki, killing Hanzo who defeated the Sannin, and reducing the Leaf Village to a crater and creating a mini moon in his acts as a Physical God.
- Gonk: The Asura Path.
- Handicapped Badass: Even after Kabuto summons him, he is unable to use his legs to do more than stand up, which leads to his sealing by Itachi.
- Hero Killer: Killed Jiraiya, Kakashi, and Shizune, and nearly killed Hinata and Choza. Then he brought them all back to life, except for Jiraiya.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Asura Path's powers allow it to transform and create a variety of cybernetic weapons.
- Ill Guy: He is crippled and confined to a mobile throne. Even after being resurrected he has to rely on Itachi to support him.
- Implacable Man: Pain's modus operandi until he faced Naruto.
- Kick the Dog: His nearly killing Hinata.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He's the one who killed Hanzo.
- Knight of Cerebus: Played straight, then subverted. He does not have any quirks to hinder him and is unfettered in his methods. He kills Jiraiya, destroys the Leaf Village, kills off characters like Kakkashi and Shizune, and finally nearly kills Hinata to bring Naruto to almost become the Nine Tails. However, after Naruto's words get to him, he revives the aforementioned except Jiraiya at the cost of his life.
- Leitmotif: "Courtesy", which perfectly captures everything about his character.
- Lightning Bruiser: The Deva Path. When you can keep up with and beat up on both the Four-Tailed and Six-Tailed manifestations of the Nine-Tailed Fox while simultaneously taking whatever it can dish out, you deserve the title.
- Nagato himself shows just how broken the Rinnegan is after he gets brought back with Edo Tensei. He curb-stomps Naruto's new Super Mode, Killer Bee, and Itachi at his peak physical condition simultaneously. The only reason he lost is Itachi had what is quite possibly the one ability that could beat him. And even then the only reason said ability even connected was that Nagato was both controlled by an outside influence and seemed to be too busy WTFing at the fact that someone actually broke out of Chibaku Tensei to dodge it coupled with the fact that he couldn't use his legs properly either, and the fact that the one thing that would compensate, Nagato's sensing, wasn't even known by Kabuto.
- Madness Mantra: "(Now) Do you understand pain?"
- Magical Eye: The most powerful ones in the setting. It gives him the powers in the Super Power Lottery above although due to his immobility he is forced to divide his abilities between six puppets.
- The Man Behind the Curtain: The Six Paths of Pain are insanely powerful, but they're just puppets. Nagato is extremely weak physically, extremely skinny, and has difficulties to walk unaided.
- Mighty Glacier: Nagato is able to use all abilities of the Pain Rikudo, making his main body one the strongest individuals in the Naruto universe. But due to his almost immobile legs, he cannot dodge by his own; that is one of his greatest weaknesses he has. That's why he let the Pain Rikudo fight.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Asura Path can create multiple arms, true to its name.
- Must Make Amends: After being convinced by Naruto.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Well, duh! Who wants to be friends with a guy called "Pain"?
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Naruto was down for the count and demoralized... until Pain almost killed Hinata, which resulted in the Nine-Tails coming within a hair's breadth of being completely unsealed.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: This is a man who's only desire in life was a world of peace and compassion, and he struggled to make life better for everyone. Fate's response was to destroy everything he held dear in the cruelest possible way, thus causing his Start of Darkness.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: His capture of the Six-Tails is expanded on in the anime. It truly goes to show how much of a joke even the most powerful ninjas of the current generation are to him.
- One-Man Army: The Pain Rikudo, but Nagato himself is a One-Man Army.
- Only Sane Employee: He seems to be the only member of Akatsuki that cares about the organization itself, and is constantly telling the other members not to piss off each other and not make light of their comrades' deaths. Justified in a way seeing how he was one of the co-founders of the original Akatsuki.
- People Puppets: Uses corpses as hosts/weapons.
- Person of Mass Destruction: In general, Pain is a one... er, six-man army who can level villages on his own. In particular, his Shinra Tensei technique. It's also been shown that he is perfectly capable of being a one-man army on his own, since he is the Six Paths, and can use the abilities better than through People Puppets.
- The Philosopher: Easily summed up as "Humans Are Bastards" and "War Is Hell".
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "Now, the world shall know pain... SHINRA TENSEI"
- Redemption Equals Death: After being impressed by Naruto's conviction, he uses up the last of his power and his life to revive everyone killed during his invasion of the Hidden Leaf.
- Schizo Tech: The Asura Path tosses around heat-seeking missiles, rocket-propelled punches, and laser cannons.
- Shipper on Deck Episode 356 makes him out to be one for Konan and Yahiko during Akatsuki's formative years.
- Shirtless Scene: Deva Path's coat is shredded during his fight with Six-Tailed Version 2 Fox Cloak Naruto.
- Shrinking Violet: As a child.
- Skilled, but Naive: He is/was an indomitably powerful ninja, but his ultimate goal was to end all war with the threat of the use of an incredibly powerful weapon. This sentiment has been expressed by many inventors in the past, who believed that the weapon they created would be devastating enough to end war forever (the gatling gun and dynamite to name two) and without exception they have been sadly mistaken.
- His aim wasn't to end war forever, but to a create a lasting peace for several generations, until the weapon will be used again when war breaks out again, creating cycling periods of peace.
- Spanner in the Works: His Redemption Equals Death act robbed Madara of Rinne Tensei, which was originally supposed to be used for his own rebirth.
- Squishy Wizard: For all the power the Rinnegan gives him, with his horribly mangled legs he's not going anywhere unaided.
- Start of Darkness: See No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.
- Story Breaker Power: There's a reason fans accuse him of being a God-Mode Sue: His Rinnegan gives him ridiculous amounts of chakra that rivals the Nine-Tails, a virtually unlimited number of summons, and the ability to use all five elements (in addition to another two), level entire cities, create miniature moons, read minds, rip souls from peoples' bodies, and revive the dead all while being in a wheelchair.
- Superpower Lottery: Of all the superpower lotteries in Naruto, Pain hit the absolute jackpot. In chapter 602 of the manga, it's revealed that he was actually given his eyes by the Big Bad, Madara Uchiha. He still hit the jackpot, but more by virtue of being one of the few related to the Senju bloodline that he didn't hate with a passion.
- Took a Level in Badass: Went from a sniveling brat to a godly badass over the course of his backstory.
- Too Powerful to Live: The guy levelled an entire village on his own and resurrected hundreds of people. It's implied that had he not expended most of his chakra fighting Naruto he would have survived the usually fatal after-effects of the latter and been able to do it again. Coupled with his Heel-Face Turn thanks to Naruto, and...
- Tragic Keepsake: Yahiko's body.
- Tragic Villain: He lost his parents because two incompetent Konoha shinobi thought they were combatants and not civilians, his best friend kills himself to save him and Konan, and his dog, Chibi, was killed by a stray explosive when he was a child. Once his past is expanded upon, he becomes a far more sympathetic character.
- The Unfettered: A villainous example, as he's willing to do anything to achieve peace.
- The Unfought: Subverted. Nobody ever fought Nagato himself during the Pain Arc, but he's revived by Kabuto using Edo Tensei, allowing him to have a proper battle against Naruto.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Until the world stomped on him and his dreams until there was nothing left. After making peace with Naruto, his good nature returns and he is Actually Pretty Funny.
- Visionary Villain: Nagato seeks peace just like Naruto does, but his party to getting there is a lot darker and bloodier.
- Walking Spoiler: The sole fact that Nagato is alive is a huge spoiler.
- Simply showing the 6 paths of Pain is a spoiler, given Jiraiya fights and defeats only 3 bodies.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: His goal is essentially gaining world peace by using the threat of essentially nuclear warfare in order to frighten people enough to fight wars anymore which is almost similar to Schneizel's Plan but embedded with Zechs Merquise/Milliardo Peacecraft style.
- World's Strongest Man: The strongest member of Akatsuki, even acknowledged by Tobi as being invincible. His defeat by Naruto, Itachi, and Killer Bee drove Kabuto to resurrect the original Madara Uchiha.
- Would Hit a Girl: Notably, almost killing Hinata and attempting to kill Tsunade when she didn't agree with his opinion.
- Would Hurt a Child: The Hell Path had no reservations about using his jutsu in order to kill Konohamaru.
The only female in Akatsuki
, and the last to be revealed. Konan uses origami-based powers
. As a child she was orphaned by the Land of Rain's civil war and trained by Jiraiya. She was one of the founding members of Akatsuki, along with Nagato (Pain) and Yahiko, and both Nagato
had feelings for her. After Yahiko was killed she became Pain's lieutenant
, calling herself "God's
Angel". She helped Pain kill Jiraiya when her old mentor came searching for intel on Akatsuki's leader, and accompanied him during his invasion of Konoha. After Pain's death, she sided with Naruto and quit the Akatsuki. She tried to prevent Nagato's corpse from ending up in Tobi's hands, but died in the process.
Her hobbies were origami and flower pressing.
Favorite word: "Order"
- Awesomeness by Analysis: She's the first person to figure out Tobi's Made Of Air powers.
- Badass: Eventually shown to be one of, if not the, strongest female character in the 'Verse, given that she very nearly kills an enemy that took the 4th Hokage a lot of effort to even land one hit on.
- Broken Bird: Yahiko's death destroyed her emotionally.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Yahiko if Chapter 511 is any indicator.
- Closer to Earth: By far the most level-headed and, well, sensible of the whole bunch.
- Crazy-Prepared: Disguised 600 BILLION paper bombs as the Hidden Rain Village's lake.
- Creepy Monotone: Except when she's yelling at Nagato for being too reckless.
- Cynicism Catalyst: She and Nagato became villains after the death of their best friend Yahiko.
- Dark Action Girl: Although her powers are not over all as strong as some, she still has some very deadly tricks up her sleeves.
- Dark Chick
- Dark Mistress
- Determinator: In her last fight against Tobi.
- Designated Girl Fight: Thankfully averted, despite everyone's expectations. Instead, she got to face off with the Manipulative Bastard who hijacked their organization and led both her True Companions to their doom, fighting for her ideals.
- Emotionless Girl: Konan's more or less dead inside, except when it comes to Nagato.
- Gray Eyes: In the manga.
- Hair Decoration: A flower made of paper.
- Heel-Face Turn: Subverted when examined closely enough. Konan was only allied with Akatsuki, which is very different from being on their side. She was only ever on Nagato's side and nobody else's. His Redemption Equals Death is a Heel-Face Turn, but as far as Konan is concerned she never switched sides, since her "side" was Pain. Since Pain chose to throw his support to Naruto, she's supporting Naruto now.
- Heroic Sacrifice: God knows she tries. Her first attack against Tobi was an attempted suicide attack. He ended up saving her too. A "thank you" is in order.
- Lady of War: Konan finally has the chance to show Tobi just how much ass she can kick.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Granted, being in Akatsuki should have been the first clue. But not even Tobi realized how tough she could be when she wanted to. He still beat her, but he had to warp reality to SURVIVE.
- Only Sane Man: Along with Kisame, she is generally the only member who consistently acts in a rational manner.
- Paper Master: Her main means of attack is transforming into paper.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Thanks to billions of explosive tags.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Punny Name: One of her techniques, kami no shisha no jutsu is a pun off of her "Angel" epithet. Phonetically, it could be read as the "messenger of God technique," but the kanji instead reads "paper-person of God technique."
- Satellite Character: Take away Yahiko and Nagato's influence on her and what do you have left? A near-emotionless woman with paper powers who likes to do origami.
- Ship Tease: Chapter 511 heavily implies that she and Yahiko were at least aware that they were attracted to each other, and episode 346 plays that up for all it's worth.
- The Smurfette Principle: Word of God says this was the original intention.
- Stripperific: Kishimoto's concept art shows that beneath her cloak, she wears a scanty robe that exposes her stomach, part of her breasts and back.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Acts and looks very cold, but genuinely cares for Nagato.
The founder and original leader of Akatsuki, until he sacrificed himself to save Konan from Hanzo. He believed Nagato was the Chosen One
, and so sacrificed himself to spare him from making a Sadistic Choice
. His body was later used by Nagato to make the Deva Path, the most powerful of the Six Paths of Pain.
Born into the war torn land of Ame, Yahiko was orphaned like so many others. Forced to fend for himself, he soon met Konan and Nagato. They were forced to work together to survive, but became close friends under Jiraya's tutelage.
His hobby was fishing.
- A God Am I: For a little while, but he grew out of it.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Konan if Chapter 511 is any indicator.
- Dead All Along: After seeing Konan and The Six Paths of Pain, Jiraiya briefly believed that the rumors of their deaths weren't true. It turns out that it was only true of Yahiko. His body was used as the Deva Path by Nagato.
- Expy: Zigzagged of Mario, the main character of Kishimoto's one-shot of the same name. See, Kishimoto actually wrote Mario back in 1998 before shelving it for 15 years at the advice of his editor, rewriting it for release in 2013. In the interim, Mario's design and basic motives were reused for Yahiko.
- Fiery Redhead
- Heroic Sacrifice: Killed himself to satisfy Hanzo and save Konan.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Hanzo promised to free Konan in exchange for his sacrifice. Needless to say, that was a lie.
- That said, he saw through Tobi's lies pretty fast.
- Idiot Hair
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: He killed himself by running into Nagato's kunai knife.
- Leader Wannabe: Wanted to be leader of Amekagure so that he could reform it.
- Making a Splash: He specialized in water jutsu.
- Messianic Archetype: He's like a mature Naruto.
- People Puppets: His body along with the others were used as the Six Paths of Pain by Nagato.
- Posthumous Character: Everything we know of him comes from flashbacks.
- Power Trio: With Konan and Nagato.
- Red Herring: The manga suggested that he was the villain Pain, but Pain was then revealed to be his friend Nagato.
- Ship Tease: He was in love with Konan, according to Chapter 511 and Episode 356.