Tropes related to all five members
- Adorkable: A major part of their charm was their goofiness and relative approachability, at least compared to the sleek and broody image the Backstreet Boys were working. Many, if not all, of their television interviews showcased the group's excitable and humorous demeanor while their radio interviews regularly went off the rails. Their approachability was in fact one of the main reasons MTV collaborated with the group on several television specials, with many of them being informal or behind the scenes deals.
- The Reel *NSYNC, a collection of some of Joey's personal home footage from their European days, shows this characteristic off on full display as they attempt to keep themselves entertained as they go from one gig to another. Joey even slaps a "Dork-O-Meter" label next to Lance being oddly amused by an escalator.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Duh. And lampshaded on a sketch they did for the MTV Movie Awards:Justin: We're the best rag-tag group of pretty boys on the planet!
- Deadpan Snarker: Chris is the obvious case, but once they get going, it quickly becomes into a World of Snark.
- Fun Personified: These guys loved their line of work and boy did it show. Just going by their interviews and public appearances, it would not be an exaggeration to say that silliness and humor was this group's bread and butter and they were not above making fools of themselves for the sheer hell of it.
JC: I just want [the listeners] to have fun. Lately, everyone's been taking music so seriously. We take it seriously, but we do it in a way where you're supposed to have fun with it.
- Joey and Chris were a double act of ham and snark. They once guest-hosted TRL wearing nothing but pajamas◊ and Backstreet Boys t-shirts. They filled in as guest hosts for a morning radio show in Orlando and spent the entire time cracking jokes and snarking at everything.
- Justin and Chris were a comedy act upon themselves.
- These videos sum up the band's dynamic.
- This picture.
- JC's thoughts on No Strings Attached:
- The Gadfly: Their collective sense of humor falls under "Let's say or do something to mess with people...or each other".
Teen People: They won't knock it off because they know the dirtier they get, the less chance I can use it.
- They especially get a kick out of screwing with their interviewers. One interview with Teen People involved deliberately saying vulgar things to the poor schmuck because they knew the magazine can't print them due to publishing standards.
Carson Daly: [After asking about what sound influenced the creation of No Strings Attached] What's influenced you?
- Carson Daly point blank states that he can't get Chris to answer his questions.
Chris: Spice Girls. [The boys laugh]
Carson: Getting a straight answer out of Chris is damn near impossible.
- Genki Guys: Bordering on being a band of Keets, although they do tone it down when necessary. Chris is the most obvious one as he's the loudest and most hyperactive of the group, but the other four are quite capable of keeping up with him and matching his energy.
- '90s Hair: They weren't shy about experimenting with different hairstyles and hair colors◊, although now they're very happy to leave it all behind◊.
- Joey would dye his hair in bright colors, most notably a fire-engine red◊ as well as alternating between being clean-shaven or a beard.
- Chris had several hairstyles aside from his typical short-and-gelled look, having had a long-ish undercut◊, dreads◊, braids◊, and a mohawk◊, and would style his goatee into what fans liked to call "beardhorns"◊.
- Justin would bleach and grow out his curls, once styling them into cornrows◊, before shaving them off◊. He now takes to straightening his hair◊ or keeping it closely cropped◊.
- JC eventually grew out his hair, dyeing it varying shades of brown and blonde as well as playing around with its texture.
- Even Lance, who was the most sedate of them style-wise, would get in on the action with either bleached hair◊ or different-colored frosted tips◊, before settling on a quiff◊ or leaving it ungelled.
- No Sense of Personal Space: And how! A decade later and they still don't get the concept◊.
- Sweet Tooth: They love candy, especially during their European days, apparently holding regular contests on who can down the most Pixi Stix (basically colored sugar). The credits on The Reel *NSYNC even has a thank-you note to all the sugar and candy that kept them awake.
- Teen Idol: Except for Chris, who was 23 when they first formed, they were all actual teenagers under the age of 20. (Justin was 14, Lance was 16, and they required parental supervision during their years in Europe.)
- Those Two Guys: More like Those Three Guys with Lance, Chris, and Joey.
Chris: [talking about the "Bye Bye Bye" video] Trains was just thrown in 'cause me and Joey didn't have anything to do.Justin: [when asked to give a non-cliche answer about their shows] If you want something not cliche, I think we hope they walk away saying "Man, that was pretty cool".
- Chris and Joey usually came in last in popularity polls.
Chris: I actually hope most of the girls would home and say "Chris is hot"! [The boys laugh] That's not cliche. That's not going to happen either, shut up.
- Joey and Lance were often relegated to the back in their music videos and were the least featured on their songs.
- Early into the hiatus this applied to Chris and JC, who, unlike the others, had no immediate plans for their break.
- Three Plus Two: What the group tended to default to, dividing into Chris/Justin/JC and Joey/Lance. Chris/Justin/JC were arguably the core trio of the group, the most senior members and the most frequently heard, making up the main harmonies while Lance's bass grounded their voices and Joey filled in the gaps. This was also how they usually divided up for public appearances when not all members were in attendance and how their tour buses were arranged.
- True Companions: They were inseparable back in the day, and they all still remain good friends, even referring to each other as "brothers".
- Aside from JC, who has a fear of needles, they all have tattoos commemorating their time in the band.
- JC and Justin — who were friends since their Mickey Mouse Club days — are still good friends and the former has even contributed to the latter's work behind the scenes, and vice-versa, post-*NSYNC.
- Joey made Lance the godfather to his oldest daughter. (Joey and Lance are more akin to Platonic Life Partners as Lance is gay and Joey is straight. They were always seen hanging out even after the band split and Lance even joked he'd marry Joey.)
- They all attended Joey's wedding and were ushers for Chris's. Sadly, while they were not invited to Justin's wedding, Lance and JC were at the engagement party and Chris was supposedly at the reception.
- JC, Joey, and Chris were at Lance's wedding and JC performed the first song at the reception. (Justin didn't attend because he was on tour.)
- One of the most telling indicators of their closeness back in the day was their tour bus arrangement. Starting with the No Strings Attached Tour, they could have easily afforded 5 separate tour buses to travel in, but instead only divided into 2 buses, with Justin, Chris, and JC on one bus and Joey and Lance (and their menagerie of pets) on the other.
- They celebrated Chris's 40th birthday by secretly arranging with his now-wife to hire a personal chef to prepare a surprise private birthday dinner at Chris's home just for the five of them. It's especially heartwarming since Justin admitted that they hadn't been in the same room since 2005 and they had stayed up all night just to talk. Joey and Lance then surprised Chris the next day with a birthday party in Miami.
- Whenever they could, they would attend Justin's concerts as "Friends and Family".
- Twitter: Aside from the collective *NSYNC Twitter, they each have their own personal ones and the frequency of their usage varies from member to member.
- Vocal Evolution: Just compare their original demo of "I Thought She Knew" to the version on No Strings Attached.
- Justin went through puberty while in the group so this is to be expected. His voice was somewhat high and nasal when they started and as his voice started becoming noticably deeper, he worked hard to keep his voice a light tenor to match his pre-puberty vocals. His voice had a watery quality to it and a tendency to crack during live performances, and it wasn't until around 1999 when his voice finally settled and he got all of his singing issues sorted.
- Chris' falsetto wasn't terribly strong in the beginning, though he fixed that fairly quickly. However, as he got older his voice took on a bit of a rasp and the ease of his high notes began to waver.
- Non-singing related, Lance used to have a pretty strong Southern accent; it faded away eventually, but it slips out on occasion. His speaking voice is slightly higher now than when he was with the group, but he can still speak in the lower register if he feels like it.
"Dirty Pop. See, it's already gotten around. Say it once and BOOM, it's a trend."Justin Randall Timberlake
Born January 31, 1981 in Memphis, Tennessee
2nd tenor and one half of the Vocal Tag Team.
Things pertaining to his solo career should go on his solo page.
- The Baby of the Bunch: On *N The Mix, he pouted at the camera after commenting that he was too young to do anything fun besides play basketball.
- Beauty Contest: Justin was apparently a regular on the Tennessee pageant circuit, prior to his joining the cast of The Mickey Mouse Club. He once entered a pageant in which all of his competitors were girls. He won.
- Big Little Brother: The youngest and tallest of the group.
- Breakup Breakout: His solo career has still shown no signs of stopping, a full decade after the group's breakup.
- Celeb Crush: Janet Jackson, Halle Berry, Jennifer Lopez...
- Celebrity Resemblance: Joked that he looks like Ryan Phillippe, but that's less so as time went on.
- Fanboy: Dedicated NBA fan and always wore 1 1/2 on his sports jerseys because he's a huge fan of Penny Hardaway.
- Former Child Star: An alumnus of the 1990s revival of The Mickey Mouse Club, alongside JC.
- Funny Afro: During their No Strings Attached era, his naturally curly hair grew out to hilariously bouncy proportions.
- He Is All Grown Up: Shaving off his hair did wonders for his public image.
- Large Ham: Boy, can he hit those notes.
- Momma's Boy: A self-professed one. She traveled with the group fairly often, mainly when Justin was still underage, and he would sometimes bring her as his date to awards shows. He even has her initials tattooed on his back. Infamously, when he was getting punk'd, she was the first person he called (she was his manager, too, but still.)
- Motor Mouth: When he gets going, especially if Chris or Joey are enabling him, he really gets going.
- Nice Hat: Around their No Strings Attached era, he was rather fond of a tan and red striped knit beanie, wearing it to most of their public appearances. He also wore a lot of bedazzled bandannas when his curls reached Funny Afro levels. Nowadays he's hardly ever seen without a fedora.
- Odd Friendship: With Chris, largely due to an age difference of nearly 10 years and wildly different upbringings, Justin's childhood having consisted of being a Former Child Star while Chris had a Dark and Troubled Past. Despite that, the two of them were very close; they regularly teamed up during public appearances, spent a lot of their downtime hanging out, were likely to mention each other during solo interviews, and at one point they lived about a 5 minute walk away from each other. Even now they still keep in touch, Chris admitting he catches up with Justin about once a month and Justin stating that of the group, Chris (as well as Joey) is the one he talks to the most nowadays.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Initially. He's since downplayed this when he struck out on his own, but still has shades of this in interviews.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: Appeared on Star Search when he was 11, but did not win.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He loves cereal. Joey claims that he would eat an entire box in one sitting, pouring one into a massive bowl and eating it from there.
- Not a Morning Person: Admits he's jerk in the morning until he's had his cereal fix.
"You know what I like to do? I like to sleep, and I don't get to do my hobby very often. Thank you."Joshua Scott Chasez
Born August 8, 1976 in Bowie, Maryland
1st tenor and the other half of the Vocal Tag Team.
- Accidental Misnaming: It's not uncommon for his last name to be mistakenly listed as "Chavez".
- Afraid of Needles: He refuses to get tattoos like the others, and Lance once said that right after the two of them got flu shots, he practically bolted out of the doctor's office and left Lance behind.
- Beware the Nice Ones: JC had a bit of a reputation as the nicest and most inoffensive member of the group, but when they discovered how much money Pearlman was taking from them he was pissed, and according to Lance's memoir, was the one who spearheaded their lawsuit and move to Jive.
- Break the Cutie: His incredibly rocky solo career. Despite belonging to he same label (or possibly because of it), Jive did not put nearly as much effort into backing JC as a solo artist as they did for Justin. He left Jive after multiple delays in the release of his second solo effort and after the label had allegedly sent out song leaks behind his back. Unable to find another label to support him, the album was shelved indefinitely and has yet to see the light of day. Since then he's come off somewhat jaded and has essentially retired from singing professionally.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Tended to give off this impression during group interviews. He's gotten more level-headed since the hiatus/split.Chris: The funny thing about JC is... Well, say we're driving somewhere and we see a pretty girl on the sidewalk, the four of us will go, "Hey, check out that girl." ...and five minutes later JC will go, "Wow, check out that dog. What kind is it?"
JC: They were making fun of me this one time—
- He wrote "Space Cowboy", their most surreal song.
- During an interview with Teen People, he inexplicably started telling a story about Slinkies and Silly Putty. The other four just ignored him and started talking about fries instead, which somehow led to this observation from the reporter:
Justin: One time? We make fun of you all the time.
JC: So I looked at my food and said 'I have such a colorful plate...'
Teen People: Maybe JC deserves it.
- It really didn't help that during their Celebrity promotion, he grew out his hair and made some really eccentric clothing choices, including showing up at an awards show with a hat literally pulled down over his eyes. It's generally accepted among the fandom that among all the tacky costumes they've worn, his was often the loudest.
- He has a tendency to tweet pictures of his socks at random occasions. And his idea of keeping himself grounded as he attended the White House Correspondents' Dinner? Striped Mickey Mouse socks.
- This montage from his stint on America's Best Dance Crew.
- During the middle of an interview with Jay Leno on The Tonight Show, he apparently lost his train of thought when going on a tangent about coupons and just stopped with "because...yes."
- Covert Pervert: While JC maintained a clean-cut image for the most part, often being described as fairly quiet, laid back, and having a boy-next-door vibe about him, he also had a tendency to write very racy songs. Roughly half of the songs on Schizophrenic were sexual in nature (with one of the singles literally titled "All Day Long I Dream About Sex"), he wrote the band's (alleged) ode to cybersex "Digital Get Down", the sexually charged "Give In To Me" was written when he was around 17/18 years old, and "Watch Me Go", which he wrote for for Girls Aloud, is about bondage.
- The Cutie: There's a reason why his Fan Nickname was "Kitten".
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: Suffered from this during 2003's Challenge for the Children.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: He had a very clean cut image for the most part, "Digital Get Down" notwithstanding. By the time Celebrity rolled out, however, JC seemed to embrace his sexual side and grew out his hair while making some questionable wardrobe decisions.
- Former Child Star: An alumnus of the 1990s revival of The Mickey Mouse Club, alongside Justin.
- Happily Adopted: He was adopted by the foster parents of his biological mother, with whom he still keeps in touch.
- Disappeared Dad: He's never met his biological father and has stated he has no desire to find him.
- Girl Group: He attempted producing one called Girl Radical, but that didn't pan out. Before that, he produced songs for Fergie's old group Wild Orchid, production work for Sugababes, and co-wrote "Watch Me Go" for Girls Aloud.
- Iconic Item: He was rarely seen without his Leo pendant.
- It Is Pronounced Tro-PAY: His family name is French in origin and pronounced "Sha-zay".
- Kitsch Collection: Had a habit of stealing Hard Rock Cafe menus.
- Large Ham: Not to be outdone by Justin when they sing, he can really belt out those notes.
- Late to the Punchline: It's been brought up multiple times that he ruins jokes by completely failing to understand why everyone else is laughing.Justin: He does ruin a lot of jokes.Chris: Too bad there isn't a question about who gets the jokes last. [The boys laugh]
JC: [A beat passes] Oh yeah! I do!
- Only Known by Initials: His full name is Joshua Scott Chasez, but due to the One Steve Limit on MMC, he shortened it to JC Chasez as his professional name.
- Older Than They Look: He's nearly 40 and still looks the same.
- Pretty Boy: Often considered the prettiest member of the group, especially once he started growing out his hair.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: A milder case than Justin. He had a habit of calling the ladies "Mama" and once sang about his Timbs, his baggy jeans, his thug appeal.
- The Quiet One: According to Chris when they're not performing.
- Quirky Curls: Beginning with the Celebrity promotion and during his ill-fated solo career, his hair grew out into a mass of curly hair that matched his eccentric personality.
- Record Producer: Of the Artist as Producer and the DIY variety, as he's produced some of the group's songs and for others like Backstreet and Fergie's old girl group, Wild Orchid. He's also trying to produce his own girl group, Girl Radical, as well.
- Sleepyhead: Liked to get sleep whenever and wherever he could.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: His preferred modification to their concert outfits as well as their photoshoots.
- Team Mom: Frequently said by the other guys to have a tendency to fuss over and baby them.
"My last name is Bass, so I could be a fisherman or you know, a bass singer."James Lance Bass
Born May 4, 1979 in Laurel, Mississippi
The bass and Only Sane Man.
- Consummate Liar: The group all pointed to him when asked who's the biggest liar. This plays into his sense of humor as you're never sure if anything he says is true or if he's just messing around.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Self-admitted as he tends to forget how to get to the punchline, but that hasn't stopped his sense of humor.
- Country Mouse: He comes from small-town Mississippi and has joked that it wasn't until he was in the band that he learned that there was life outside his small rural town.
- A Day in the Limelight: Attempted this with trying to become a cosmonaut and an actor, but it hasn't gone over as well. He's since gotten more known for his involvement within the LGBT community and as a personality.
- Forgetful Jones: He's admitted on multiple occasions that he's forgotten the lyrics to their songs, and that his memories of his time in the band have blurred together and can't remember events accurately.
- Friend to All Living Things: A dedicated animal lover, he rode horses before joining the band, and regularly fosters rescue dogs, proudly stating that he's adopted 8 shelter dogs over the years. Slightly overlaps with Crazy Dog Guy, as he hopes to own a ranch with as many dogs as possible.
- The bus he shared with Joey apparently had two dogs, a chinchilla, and a ferret. He owned one of the dogs and the ferret...and possibly the chinchilla.
- He once posted a bunch of pictures of himself and Joey with the Aflac duck to his Instagram account and the duck seemed to like him cuddling it. In fact, a good portion of his Instagram photos are of his pets or other people's pets, even creating an account just for his dogs. He didn't even flinch when he posed for a picture with a python and he's hugged a sea lion.
- The Gadfly: He apparently gets a kick out of messing with his social media followers. He shared links that both confirmed and denied the VMA reunion and as an April Fool's Day prank, tweeted a fake news story about the group reuniting. He's also fond of popping up at random times and scaring the living daylights out of his (incredibly patient) husband.
- Goofy Suit: It was often brought up that he'd once worked a summer job dressed as a dalmatian named Poofu. During the filming of "It's Gonna Be Me", they allegedly were going to put Poofu in the video as a joke, but that was never filmed. The only evidence that exists of the idea is a poor-quality screencap of him in his doll makeup looking bemused and half-annoyed at the giant dog suit◊.
- Happily Married: Married his long-time boyfriend in 2014, especially since until very recently, same-sex marriage was still technically illegal in half of the country.
- He Is All Grown Up: Like Justin, he got a similar reaction during their Celebrity era and especially after coming out. (Buzzfeed ranks him as the second hottest member of the group.)Ari Shapiro: Can we just note, that while we are on *NSYNC, that the only one who aged well was the gay one? Thank you very much.
- I Can't Dance: Self-admitted. He honestly had no natural talent for their complicated choreography, but damn if he didn't try and keep up. He claims that he's a better dancer now than he was in the group, but thinks that's not really saying much. He supposedly claimed that as a white kid from Mississippi, he really had no business doing some of their more hip-hop inspired choreography.
- The Klutz: Allegedly set his own jacket on fire after bumping into a table that had a candle. Chris claims that he's the weakest link in their pre-show ritual of a game of hacky-sack, sometimes causing the show to start late because of it. He actually twisted his ankle rehearsing the silly moves for their No Refund sketch on SNL.
- Meaningful Name: A bass named Bass, but his name is pronounced liked the fish. Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! couldn't resist asking him about the fish, and BoJack Horseman did make him into a fish.
- Momma's Boy: A milder case than Justin. He cites her as his biggest influence and she shared the chaperone role with Justin's mother while they in Europe until he was 18. In fact, he almost missed joining the band because she didn't approve of the idea and had to be convinced to let him try. (And according to Driven, she was the first one to ask where the band's money was, which got the ball rolling on the lawsuit against Pearlman.)
- Motor Mouth: In his current gig as a radio and television personality, he's very talkative. He's also quite chatty on Twitter and Instagram.
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Joked about. Especially since aside from a spoken bridge, a cappella performances, and a single line on a Christmas song, he's never heard on their songs. Played straight with the press as any time his name is brought up, he was met with derision.Chris: So in other words, Lance has his sexy voice and we have each other.
Chris: Lance is our lucky charm...we have to remember him wherever we go, though.
- For their charity basketball game event, Challenge For The Children, they each had jerseys labeled with funny nicknames for each band member...except for Lance's, which just had his name.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Well, middle name. His full name is James Lance Bass, but he's exclusively referred to by his middle name, even by his family.
- Only Sane Man: Only by default, really. He's just as energetic and cheeky as the others, but since he's in a band with three even more commanding personalities and a Cloudcuckoolander, he just ends up being the "normal" one in comparison.
- Pretty Boy: Second to JC. He usually comes in third in popularity polls.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: As a teenager, because on top of going through puberty in the public eye like Justin, his features made him look quite delicate and slightly like Ellen DeGeneres. The resemblance did not slip past him as an adult and both he and Ellen have joked about it. When the boys disguised themselves as a hair metal band in their video for "U Drive Me Crazy", he and Justin honestly did look like girls.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Still happily talks about space/astronomy when he can, professes his love of documentaries, and his radio show is entirely about popular culture and gay culture.
- The Quiet One: Zig-zagged. He's just as energetic and outgoing as the others, but was labeled "quiet" by default because not only was he never heard on their songs, he was also overshadowed by the sheer force of personality that were the other four. Also partly invoked to ward off unwanted attention about his orientation in order to protect the band's career.
- Straight Gay: Generally very laid back, but does like to play up the Camp Gay mannerisms for laughs or depending on the social circles he runs with. In fact he got some backlash for referring himself as a straight acting gay.
- Surfer Dude: This was the image that he adopted in order set him apart from Justin, but there is some truth to it as he's often spotted at the beach or poolside with his friends. He even competed in a charity surfing competition held by surfing icon Kelly Slater.
- Token Religious Teammate: He is the most open about his spirituality, with his Iconic Item being a cross necklace. He's also spoken extensively about how his religion has come into conflict with his personal life, and still identifies as Christian while his husband is Jewish.
- Transparent Closet: Before 2006, although it was more like an open secret by that point and only Joey knew. He explicitly stated that he didn't come out in order to protect the band's career, actively choosing to be the group's Quiet One to avoid unwanted attention. He's stated that he had wanted to come out after the band split, but after controversial gossip blogger Perez Hilton outed him, People magazine gave him 24 hours to confirm or they were going out him as well, essentially forcing him to come out sooner than he wanted.
- Vocal Dissonance: Based on looks alone, you wouldn't really expect him to have a voice like molasses.
"I’m just a guy in a world full of girls, what else am I supposed to do? Ignore them?"Joseph Anthony Fatone, Jr.
Born January 28, 1977 in Brooklyn, New York
The baritone and resident Large Ham.
- Big Fun: Lovingly dubbed an "Italian Teddy Bear" by some sections of the fandom due to his boisterous personality and, uh, "cuddliness".
- Broadway: Has dabbled in musical theater since the band's hiatus/breakup.
- Brooklyn Rage: Averted. He's a big ol' softie.
- Butt Monkey: They teased each other mercilessly, but Joey definitely got the worst of it. The guys loved to pick on him, making fun of his fashion sense, his taste in music, his level of intelligence, what have you. If they're talking about group member annoyances, chances are it'll be about Joey. Here's 5 and a half minutes of the guys basically ragging on him. Even outside the group, he was usually the press' go-to guy for a good mocking.JC: There's a rule that we follow around here, and it's 'Don't Let Joey Talk.'
Chris: If I had [auditioned everyone], I don't think Joey would've made it.
- The Charmer/Handsome Lech: Exaggerated to play up his Urban Legend Love Life.
- A Day in the Limelight: Has solos on "I Thought She Knew", "Together Again", and several songs on Home for Christmas and leads a cover of "Celebration!" during their Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now Tour. His stints on Broadway can be seen as this as well.
- Fanboy: For Star Wars and Superman.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Suffered a leg injury due to malfunctioning equipment during rehearsals for their PopOdyssey Tour, causing him to sit out of most of the filming for "Pop". His solo portions were filmed sitting down, whereas the dance numbers had their choreographer, Wade Robson, fill in for him, with his face digitally inserted in post-production.
- Gasshole: Apparently.
Lance: I lived on a bus with Joey Fatone. It was literally… every 10 minutes. Even this weekend at [Chris's] wedding, he was doing fart jokes. You know, he’ll do a fart joke and add a real fart into everything. I've never heard of anyone filled with gas as much as Joey Fatone.yeyeyewhawha asks:Which member of *NSYNC do ya like to hang around?
- A mock dossier of him from their Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now tour projections lists him as a "Methane Master" as one of his skills.
Chris: I don't know.. all of them, different times, depends on what I want to do. Unless Joey eats Taco Bell, then it's not Joey.
- Happily Married: Met his wife in their high school drama club.
- Large Ham: This has served him well as a television personality.
- Perma Stubble: The second he grew out a goatee/beard, it's never left his face unless something requires him to be clean shaven. And even then, the five o'clock shadow can be seen.
- Real Men Wear Pink: The most masculine looking of the group and a notorious flirt, but enjoys musical theater, cooking, and is terrible at most sports. (He's since taken an interest in distance running and regularly competes in running events for charity.)
- Supreme Chef: He's competed in cooking competitions for charity, has his own food/cooking show, and even hosts a cooking competition for Food Network.
- Unfortunate Name: "Fat One" (It's pronounced "fah-tone", by the way.)
- Urban Legend Love Life: Was linked to numerous women but according to Lance, this was largely to throw off the fact that he was still with his high school sweetheart. Not that it's stopped the group from making jokes about how he didn't discriminate when it came to women.
- Younger Than They Look: He's a year younger than JC and certainly looks his age now, but at the height of their fame, he was sometimes mistaken for being several years older due to being built a bit larger than the others and the fact that he and Chris were the only ones with facial hair.
"I'm the poison in the group, the troublemaker. Everyday I'll do something and try to get the other guys to do it."Christopher Alan Kirkpatrick
Born October 17, 1971 in Clarion, Pennsylvania
The countertenor and founding member of the group.
- Accidental Misnaming: Much less often than JC's example above, Chris' last name is sometimes mistaken as Fitzpatrick.
- The Alcoholic: During his stint on VH-1's Mission: Manband, he admitted to falling into alcoholism after NSYNC split. He's doing much better now, though.
- Alliterative Name: Chris Kirkpatrick. For bonus points, his wife's name is Karly Kirkpatrick (née Skladany).
- Big Brother Instinct: Comes with being the oldest of the group.Justin: He's all heart. He stands up for us all the time.
Joey: If somebody ever says anything bad about us, he'll just go right up and say, 'Hey, I heard this and this, what's the problem?'
- Celeb Crush: Had a thing for Gwen Stefani.
- Character Tics: He's incredibly fidgety and rarely ever sits still, constantly shifting his weight while standing and bouncing his legs when sitting. He's also a nail biter and has a habit of fiddling with his headset mic/inner-ear monitor when performing.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Less so than JC, but boy, does he have his moments.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He's never spoken badly about his upbringing, but his childhood was pretty rough. He was born to a teenage mother with no financial support and his biological father left around his first birthday. His mother's subsequent relationships (one of which ended in suicide) left him with 4 younger half-sisters, the youngest being 22 years younger than him. As a result, he practically helped raise his sisters alongside his mother and got his first job at age 12 just to help keep his family afloat. Unfortunately, this did not stop them from sometimes having to live out of their car. Despite all that, he's pretty well adjusted.
- Disappeared Dad: Left his mother when he was baby. Allegedly helped Chris get his bearings when he moved down to Orlando for school, but is otherwise never mentioned. Also applies to a number of his step-dads.
- A Day in the Limelight: "I Drive Myself Crazy" is his main one, though he does lead their cover of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and has solos on "Together Again", "I Thought She Knew", and practically half the songs on Home for Christmas. Oddly, his vocals are showcased pretty often outside the group's albums; he gets a verse on their cover of "When You Wish Upon A Star", shares a verse with JC during live performances of "Sailing" as well as their performance of "Dancing Machine" alongside Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5, leads a Jackson 5 medley during their Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now Tour, and is often considered the highlight of their rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and their a cappella tribute to The Bee Gees.
- Drives Like Crazy: JC is apparently terrified of him whenever he's behind the wheel.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Around October 1999, Chris shocked a lot of people by getting rid of his signature braids. Most fans attributed the change to the then current legal woes the group was facing.
- Fan Boy: Diehard fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers, as well as most other sports teams from Pittsburgh.
- Ascended Fanboy: Has sung the national anthem at a couple Steelers games
- The Gadfly: In addition to saying some truly off-the-wall things in general during interviews, Chris had a tendency to make some, ahem, questionable comments regarding his bandmates.Chris: I gotta say mine and Joey's relationship has struggled because of all this. He used to be so kind and pay attention to me. He used to notice little things about me when I walked in the room. But now?...
Rick (MuchMusic): Say that again.
Chris: What? Justin? [audience screams]
Chris: Yeah. I want to scream when I hear his name, too. I can't figure it out....
JC: I gotta tell you, I would not want to be my girlfriend.
Chris: I would....
Larry King: Lance, you're not seeing anyone?
Lance: Not right now.
Chris: Lance is dating me.
- Happily Married: Married his longtime girlfriend in November 2013.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: He gained a lot more fans once he ditched the braids.
- Insistent Terminology: He doesn't have a fear of heights. It's a phobia.
- Ironic Fear: Afraid, err, has a phobia of heights. Their tours frequently feature them flying over the audience.
- Kubrick Stare: His go-to look for photoshoots when he's not hamming it up.
- Megane: He didn't wear his glasses often but the common fan sentiment was that he really should have.
- Little Big Brother: In contrast to Justin, Chris is the oldest and shortest of the group.
- The Napoleon: Although he's not actually all that short, being somewhere in the range of 5'6"-5'8"note , he is the smallest of the group and the one with the most forceful personality.
- Odd Friendship: With Justin, largely due to an age difference of nearly 10 years and wildly different upbringings, Justin's childhood having consisted of being a Former Child Star while Chris had a Dark and Troubled Past. Despite that, the two of them were very close; they regularly teamed up during public appearances, spent a lot of their downtime hanging out, were likely to mention each other during solo interviews, and at one point they lived about a 5 minute walk away from each other. Even now they still keep in touch, Chris admitting he catches up with Justin about once a month and Justin stating that of the group, Chris (as well as Joey) is the one he talks to the most nowadays.
- Odd Name Out: Justin, Joey, JC, James (Lance), Jason... and Chris.
- Older Than They Look: Despite constant jokes about his age, he didn't really look that much older than the rest of the guys and he still looks pretty good for 40-something.◊ (In case you're wondering, he's 28 in the photo above.)
- One of the Kids: When the second oldest of the group is still 5 years younger than him and the two youngest were still undergoing puberty, it's no surprise Chris didn't often act his age. Or ever, really.
- Pointy Ears: Well, pointy enough to make the fandom call him every synonym for "elf" they could think of.
- Perma Stubble: He could never quite eliminate that five o'clock shadow.
- Rags to Riches: Born into poverty and raised by a single mother, only to end up founding one of the most successful boy bands in history. Even when the group got started he was holding down at least two jobs to make ends meet.Chris: It's absurd to have gone from totally poor to totally rich. It's beyond absurd. I wake up in my house in the middle of the night and go, "Whose house is this?"Chris: I just wish I could go back and talk to that kid who was poor and wearing dirty clothes and say, "Dude, I know you don't have a phone right now, you don't have a car, and you've had to work since you were twelve to make rent, but don't worry about it. Some day you're gonna spend as much on rims as you do on rent."
- Raised Catholic: He attended Mass as a child, but does not mention his religion now.
- Short, Dark, and Snarky: While not particularly tall and perhaps a bit more dorky than cool, he was at least snarky as hell and popular amongst the group's Periphery Demographic (namely college aged girls and slash writers).
- Underdressed for the Occasion: He attended Joey's wedding wearing jeans and a trucker cap.
- Vocal Dissonance: Some people have a hard time believing he has the voice of a choir boy.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: His fear, excuse me, phobia of heights. A shame their tours regularly had them hanging high up in the air.