Ben Harper (Robert Lindsay)
- Deadpan Snarker
- I Need a Freaking Drink
- Jaded Washout
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: WAAAAAAY deep down inside, he still cares about his family.
- Only Sane Man: Sometimes takes on this role.
- The Snark Knight
Susan Harper (Zoë Wanamaker)
- Control Freak
- Deadpan Snarker
- I Was Quite a Looker
- Lethal Chef
- Manipulative Bitch: Runs in the family
- My Beloved Smother
- Only Sane Man: Sometimes. Not as often as she'd like to think, though.
- Women Are Wiser: Subverted. She likes to think she is this, but in reality she's just as crazy as Ben.
Nick Harper (Kris Marshall)
- Lazy Bum
- Manchild: Not as much as Roger (see below), but he is incapable of holding down a job because of it.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Occasional moments seem to hint he is this.
Janey Harper (Daniela Denby-Ashe)
- Big Eater: She is shown to be this in the future, where she has become enormously obese.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: In earlier seasons.
- Dumb Blonde
- Fourth Date Marriage: Janey marries a guy she's known for only ten days, because they met at a wedding where a fortune teller said Janey would meet her true love. She runs off with someone else and asks for a divorce on the same day.
- Manipulative Bitch: On occasions; sometimes even outsmarting her mother.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Janey, who studied French, Economics and History at A-Level and went on to university, is a clear-cut example of this trope.
- Really Gets Around
- Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome: Janey is 15 in the first series, gives birth to Kenzo in series four when she is 19, but by the time of series 11 is "almost 30"
Michael Harper (Gabriel Thomson)
- Child Prodigy: At the beginning of the show.
- Teen Genius: Later became this.
- Little Mr Snarker: In the earlier seasons.
- Momma's Boy: Not to extreme levels, but some episodes do draw attention to it.
- Only Sane Man: Usually. Not always though.
- Suddenly Sexuality: After nine seasons of being consistently attracted to women, he suddenly came out as gay in the tenth season.