open/close all folders
A thirteen-year-old boy who lives in the town of Belring. Comfortable in his older brother's shadow, he doesn't try hard to stand out, opting to be an Average Joe. He is an ordinary boy whose favorite thing is to daydream while also enjoying a good game of baseball.
- All There in the Manual: In Update #5, Travis has a pet dog named Domino. Word of God later stated on tumblr that Domino is a Cairn Terrier.
- Badass Adorable: A trait common to MOTHER protagonists.
- Barrier Warrior: One of his VOX abilities includes "Shield" (which replaced the former "PSI Shield").
- Batter Up: Travis can use bats, just like Ness and Ninten. And with one equipped, he has a low random chance of hitting enemy projectiles back at them.
- Cloudcuckoolander: It's said that it could be a reason why he accepts his VOX powers easily.
- Color Motif: Associated with aqua green.
- Combat Medic: His profile explains that he has healing powers, similar to the protagonists in the Mother series.
- Fan Boy: Like Ness and Ninten, he is a baseball fan.
- Foil: To Floyd, who is charming, popular, hotheaded, and loud.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Phlegmatic.
- Heavy Sleeper: A heavy enough sleeper that he's apparently able to sleep through an alien invasion.
- The Hero: Has many of the traits seen in MOTHER protagonists, sharing a love for baseball and striped shirts.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Like in Mother, Travis' family has a dog named Domino. Unlike King from Earthbound and Boney from MOTHER 3, he will not be a party member. Word of God states that Domino will stay at home.
- In the gameplay trailer, he also befriends a stray dog.
- Hot-Blooded: An old character biography from 2011 described him as having a bit of a temper. In 2014, his character was redesigned as a Ridiculously Average Guy, with Meryl becoming Hot-Blooded.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Downplayed. He's perfectly okay with living an average life, but when push comes to shove, he's willing to accept the Call to Adventure and protect the planet.
- Kid Hero: He is 13. What else would you expect from a game based on the Mother series?
- Messy Hair: His hair is a constant state of bedhead, which is befitting for someone who is a Heavy Sleeper.
- Mr. Imagination: His favorite pastime is daydreaming, so he's probably this.
- The Paralyzer: One of his VOX abilities can be used to pararlyze foes.
- Psychic Powers: Similar to the protagonists of MOTHER, Travis is slated to have supportive VOX-based abilities.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Floyd's Red.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: Is pretty normal compared to his brother and friends, but doesn't do anything to rectify this. In fact, he feels comfortable with being average (see Stuck in Their Shadow below).
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Floyd and Leo's Manly Man.
- Snot Bubble: One screenshot shows him sleeping with one while what looks like an alien invasion occurs unnoticed outside his bedroom.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his mother, though he has his father's darker brown hair color. His brother Zack more closely resembles their father.
- Stuck in Their Shadow: An In-Universe Subversion of this trope. He is comfortably in his older brother Zackís shadow, and doesnít put forth any effort into being anything but average. However, it was played more straight in MOTHER 4's early stages, with Travis (back when he was named "Chase") being more proactive with this trope, desiring to be as good as Zack and perhaps even beyond, but suffers from insecurity from not being able to do so.
- Tuckerization: In the game's early development stages, Travis was originally named "Chase" after Chaisu, one of the game developers (he has since left the project to start a solo music career).
- Telepathy: Has this as one of his VOX-based abilities; Word of God describes people like him as "Receivers". In a post on the MOTHER 4 blog, it was displayed that Travis is capable of using an ability simply called telepathy to read the minds of NPC's, and he can use it in battle to reveal enemy characteristics as well.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: This gif has Travis taste some kind of liquid from a cactus tap that makes him nauseous. His fellow party members will quickly back away shortly before he vomits.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Travis' father works in The City, which is far away from where the family lives. Word of God says that this will become important to the plot.
A fourteen-year-old girl who is a powerful VOX Transmitter with the ability to see into the future from the town of La Folia. Not afraid to get her hands dirty, always seeing the bright side of things. She's confident she can take anything with her future sight and VOX powers, which makes her a bit reckless, but she means well.
- Action Girl: As mentioned before, she's not afraid to get her hands dirty.
- An Ice Person: Has ice-based VOX abilities. She used it to defeat a Melty Robot in the gameplay trailer, back when it was PK Freeze.
- Badass Adorable: Dressed in a white shirt and a pink skirt looking ready to go to school, but can burn and freeze you at a momentís notice.
- Blue Is Heroic: Her clay model was featured on the official MOTHER 4 website with a blue background. She's also one of the four main characters.
- Bookworm: Just like Lloyd and Jeff.
- The Chick: Shares this with Ana and Paula.
- Color Motif: Associated with indigo blue.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy: Both her old and new sprites sometimes feature her curtsying.
- Expy: Of both Paula and Jeff. Meryl shares Paula's sweet-natured personality and knowledge of VOX, along with Jeff's love of reading and studying. Her unusual hair color and reckless confidence also have shades of Kumatora.
- Fighting with Chucks: Uses a Jump Rope as one of her weapons.
- Foil: To Leo, who's a powerful Transmitter like her, but is older, experienced, and more cautious while Meryl tends to act reckless with her powers.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Sanguine.
- Friend to Bugs: Her favorite thing is pond skaters.
- Girly Run: Her running animation is shown to be this in the gameplay trailer.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a white headband, though her sprite from 2012 wore a red headband. Her prototype design from 2008 (back when MOTHER 4 was headed by Chaisu) wore a blue bow in her hair.
- Hot-Blooded: Due to her strong VOX abilities, she's confident she can take on anything by herself. However, that aspect of her originally belonged to Travis; it wasn't until 2014, where the characters underwent a second revamp, that she was rewritten as such.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: A female example. She has long locks that cover her ears, and tends to place great confidence in her VOX powers.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses a Jump Rope as one of her weapons, the concept artist of the game revealing in this gif◊ that there were two other things besides bats (which Travis uses) in the corner: a jump rope and a rake.
- Kid Heroine: Just like Kumatora, Ana, and Paula, who she is based on.
- Knight Templar Parent: Old supplementary material described Meryl's parents as this trope, back when Meryl was still depicted as a wealthy, Spoiled Sweet girl. An old character description for Meryl mentioned them being very overprotective of their daughter, keeping an eye on her 24/7, homeschooling her, and also choosing which people should be friends with her. It is still unknown whether Meryl's parents are still this, since her character was redesigned with many parts of her old backstory removed.
- Nice Girl: Despite being overconfident and reckless at times, she truly means well for the people around her.
- Only One Name: Averted; Word of God revealed her last name is "Hinton". Her (male) friends play it straight, though.
- Playing with Fire: Has fire-based VOX, which she uses to toast enemies.
- Plucky Girl: Always constantly seeing the bright side of things.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears purple leg stockings and a red pleated skirt with yellow lace.
- Psychic Powers: Like Travis and Leo, she's a "Transmitter", a person who can use VOX. One of her abilities included "future sight".
- Purple is Powerful: She has purple hair and wears purple stockings. She also possesses strong VOX abilities.
- Seer: Described as having future sight. She has a vision that shows the group together, possibly being the driving force that gets them to meet. Her powers do cause her to become a bit reckless, though.
- Shock and Awe: Has lightnig-based VOX.
- The Smart Girl: Of the main party, she seems to be the only one who loves reading and studying.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: At least initially. Her prototype design originally had glasses to go along with her Cute Bookworm look, but this has since been discarded.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only girl in the main party, just like Paula and Kumatora.
- Spoiled Sweet: Old supplementary material from the Starmen.net website depicted Meryl as a studious and sheltered Nice Girl who is the heir of a very wealthy family. Due to the recent changes made to MOTHER 4, it is not known whether Meryl's backstory will still have elements of this in the final product.
- Teen Genius: She's fourteen, yet she's very intelligent in spite of it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to Word of God, she likes crepes.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair. Averted with her first sprite, where she was depicted with blonde hair like Floyd. Her prototype design (made by FlintofMother3) had light gray hair.
A popular fourteen-year-old from Pennyburg who is quite the charmer, though quick to snap in frustration and has a hard time adapting to situations out of his control as well as being close-minded. Making up for these faults is the courage, dependability and charisma to get the group through tough situations.
- Adorkable: His character has shades of an Upper-Class Twit, but his naivety in regards to the normal world and often being on the receiving end of most of the teaser trailers' humor has quickly cemented him as this trope for many of the game's fanbase.
- Badass Adorable: More like Badass Adorkable, but same difference.
- Badass Normal: The only teammate to not have VOX..., but he does have cash. Specifically, the party's hard-earned cash. He's also the only party member who can distract enemies just by talking to them, which can be a pretty ballsy yet awesome thing.
- Butt Monkey: If what's been seen in the trailers and teaser so far is to be believed, Floyd is often on the receiving end of most of the game's humor. A prominent example would be nearly being put in a dumpster by Travis in the gameplay trailer.
- Color Motif: Associated with yellow.
- The Charmer: In battle, he can have conversations with enemies to distract them, bribe them to make them leave, or perk up a party member.
- Every Man Has His Price: His Talk ability has a few effects, bribing the enemy with your money being one of them.
- Fan Boy: Of race cars.
- To Travis, an average kid who is calm, quiet, introverted, and a frequent daydreamer. He's also one to Leo, who is older, soft-spoken, and more experienced. Both of them can also use VOX, which he does not have.
- He can also be seen as one to Lloyd and Jeff; the latter two are Gadgeteer Geniuses who use weapons to fight. Floyd fights with a rake, a melee weapon, and can bribe/"Talk" to enemies instead of shooting at them.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Choleric.
- Gardening-Variety Weapon: Uses a rake as his main weapon.
- Guile Hero: See The Charmer above.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He has blonde hair, and he wants to help Travis save the world, even though he has his moments.
- Hot-Blooded: He is stubborn, saying whatever he feels like.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses a Rake as one of his weapons, the concept artist of the game revealing that in this gif◊ there were two items by the bats (which Travis uses) in the corner: a jump rope and a rake.
- Kid Hero: Evidence of the game's MOTHER roots.
- The Lancer: The popular, smooth-talking hothead to Travis' calm and quiet daydreamer.
- Meaningful Name: Floyd is a variation of "Lloyd", the name of a main character from Earthbound Beginnings. Lloyd also means "grey", in that Floyd is more pragmatic than his friends - he is the only party member who, through the 'Talk' option, can distract enemies and bribe them with the player's money.
- Muggle: The only one who can't use VOX powers. However, he can charm/bribe his enemies.
- The Team Normal: Is incapable of using VOX-based powers, but he has the unique ability to chat with (and bribe) anyone during a fight.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Travis and Leo's Blue.
- Rich Kids: Old supplementary material from the old Starmen.net website depicted Floyd as the spoiled yet heroic wealthy son of a very successful businessman who runs a global Mega Corp.. However, due to the many changes made to MOTHER 4, Floyd is now an ordinary boy from Pennyburg, a small farming hamlet-like town with pickup trucks, cows, and wheat fields.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Using the "Talk" command sometimes has him bribe enemies with cash (specifically, the party's hard-earned cash) to make them go away.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: His clay model and game sprites are shown to be more immaculately dressed than the other characters.
- Stealth Pun: His name is Floyd, and he wears a pink attire. Put the two together, and you get... Pink Floyd.
- Stuffed into a Trashcan: In the gameplay trailer, he is dragged to a dumpster by Travis, who looks at it then back at Floyd as if he's seriously considering putting him in there.
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to Word of God, he loves eating chicken fried steak.
The leader of a motorcycle gang from an unknown location, Leo is dependable despite being a wild card and is a quiet sort as well as slightly impatient. He is wanted all over the world, being a bit of a brawler with his psychic powers swinging around things like cinder blocks and stop signs.
- Adults Are Useless: Averted; he's a Transmitter gang leader in his thirties who joins Travis and his friends in their quest to save the world from the Modern Men.
- The Alcoholic: Implied. Word of God posted a screenshot◊ of him drinking in a bar.
- All There in the Manual: His biography on the current MOTHER 4 website states that his favorite thing is dishwashers. Word of God reveals that this is because he wants a quicker way to clean dishes so his biker gang can eat on clean plates.
- Antihero: Possibly. He's the only guy of the main party who's been involved in shady activity, is the leader of his own biker gang, and he smokes. He also seems to have traits of a Byronic Hero, as he's described in the official MOTHER 4 website as "dangerous, quiet, and wild".
- Badass Biker: A thirty-something gang leader who's a powerful psychic and a competent fighter, to boot.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: He's said to not speak much, but he won't hesitate to kick your ass with his VOX powers if you cross him.
- Color Motif: Associated with red.
- Cool Bike: He owns a Harley-Davidson cruiser that he rides around the city, through the streets and the back alleys. This is probably a Call Back to Earthbound, where the player can purchase a bike to move faster.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His first characterization (back when MOTHER 4 was under Chaisu) was that of a psychic Street Urchin. During the game's first revamp, he was redesigned as a former businessman who turned to crime, with an old character biography describing him as "The ex-businessman with something to lose". It's currently unclear if this trope will be part of his final characterization, but an unused (now deleted) music track named "Leo's Lament" heavily implies this. And if his current biography is to go by, he apparently did things that warranted having the police constantly on his tail.
- Delinquents: Implied to be this along with his biker gang. Naturally, due to the time period, it has shades of Greaser Delinquents.
- Delinquent Hair: Sports a pompadour.
- Does Not Like Spam: Word of God says he doesn't like foreign food, and thinks they're only good for hangovers and jet lag.
- Expy: Appears to be one of Teddy and Poo, with the former in appearance and occupation as gang leaders, and the latter in serious disposition and (presumably) flexible Psychic Powers.
- Finger Snap Lighter: One of his idle animations has him light a cigarette this way, using VOX-based fire.
- Foil: To Floyd and Meryl, who are both Hot-Blooded. Floyd in particular contrasts him the most by being a narrow-minded, smooth talker, while Leo is taciturn and more experienced.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: The Melancholic.
- Greaser Delinquents: He's way older than the usual example due to being in his thirties, but his appearance is reminiscent of one, not to mention being the leader of a biker gang who may or may not share the trope.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: As per Greaser tradition, he wears a black leather jacket. Word of God justifies it as living somewhere "way up north" where it's frequently cold, requiring the wearing of leathers and scarves.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: He's one of the four playable characters, yet he's constantly hounded by the police.
- Hot-Blooded: While cool and soft-spoken, his previous character bios described him as "impatient".
- Improvised Weapon: He's said to swing around things like stop signs and cinder blocks.
- The Leader: Of his own biker gang, but might share this role in Travis' party.
- Magic Knight: Can do a fair bit of damage with both his VOX powers and physical attacks.
- Meaningful Name: Leo's name is Latin for "lion", which indicates a noble and heroic character (despite him being a biker and gang leader)
- Mundane Utility: His idle animation has him use fire-based VOX to light up his smokes.
- Parts Unknown: We don't know what town or city he's from, since he refuses to talk about it. However, Word of God stated that he lives somewhere "way up north".
- Playing with Fire: He uses VOX-based fire as a lighter and as a weapon.
- Psychic Powers: He's a "Transmitter", a person who can use VOX-based abilities.
- The Quiet One: He's described as a man with few words. That doesn't make him any less dangerous.
- Red Is Heroic: His clay model was featured on the official MOTHER 4 website with a red background. He is also one of the four main characters.
- Red Mage: Is adept in both healing and attack VOX, but not the same extent as Travis and Meryl, respectively. Keeps from being a Quirky Bard like Poo in that he's still able to do a fair bit of damage with his offense VOX and physical attacks and doesn't have specific foods you need to heal him with.
- Rule of Cool: In the Attract Mode trailer, he doesn't use a lighter to light his cigarette. He uses VOX-based fire.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Travis' Sensitive Guy.
- Shock and Awe: Lightning-based VOX. In a leaked screenshot he was using it against a sentient painting.
- Smoking Is Cool: He's seen smoking in the old level up music video and the Attract Mode trailer. His clay model even holds a cigar.
- Trademark Favorite Food: According to Word of God, he has a fondness for lobster.
- Tuckerization: According to Word of God, both his name and character were based on Leo the Professional, who used to work on the team as a logo artist when Chaisu was still on board. While Leo's character had changed since then, his name stayed the same.
- Vague Age: His exact age is unknown, as his profile says, "Buzz off" when asked. However, Word of God stated in this update that Leo is somewhere in his thirties.
Travis' older, more talented brother.
- The Ace: He's most likely a talented athlete, as a picture posted by Word of God showed his room lined with trophies, varsity flags, Letterman jackets, a punching bag (for boxing), and football equipment (for the picture, see here).
- Badass Normal: Despite not having VOX, Zack can get by with just his fists. He even serves as a temporary party member.
- Blue Is Heroic: Most of his in-game sprites during development wore blue clothing (jacket, shirt, etc.). He is a Nice Guy and a Lovable Jock who serves as a temporary party member.
- Cool Big Bro: Despite overshadowing Travis in the sports department, Zack is loving and supportive of his little brother. One picture posted on the MOTHER 4 blog by Word of God had this caption:"Best bros for life. Zack always got Travis' back."
- Expy: Zack seems to be one for Claus, being a brother of the main protagonist, and having a similar hairstyle. Unlike Claus, he has no powers and he continues to live with his brother in a loving family, especially with a mother who's still alive.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: His old clay model describes him as an aspiring boxing champ. Later on, a screenshot posted on the MOTHER 4 blog shows a punching bag as one of Zack's possessions. It's possible that his main weapon will be his fists.
- Lovable Jock: He's a high school athlete, yet he is a Cool Big Bro to his little brother Travis.
- Nice Guy: From what little we've seen of him in trailers and supplementary material, Zack is this to Travis, as their interactions are anything but antagonistic.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Two of his old sprites before the second revamp wore a blue sleeveless undershirt.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To his father, though he has his mother's lighter brown hair color. By contrast, his younger brother Travis closely resembles their mother.
- Tuckerization: According to Word of God, he was named after Chaisu's brother Zack.
- Vague Age: Like Leo, no information was given about his exact age, though he's implied to be in his late teens since he's physically younger than Leo, yet older than Travis.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Zack's father works in The City, which is far away from where the family lives. Word of God says that this will become important to the plot.
- Delinquent Hair: Like the Punk assassin, she sports a mohawk.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Like Leo, she wears a leather jacket.
- Pipe Pain: Wields a lead pipe as her main weapon.
- Sinister Shades: An enemy who wears sunglasses.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Her leather jacket has the sleeves torn off at the shoulders.
- Meaningful Name: The Enraged Flamingo seems to be in a perpetual state of violent rage.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: An enemy with red eyes.
- Red Is Violent: The Enraged Flamingo has red eyes and a pink body, and is an enemy who attacks by headbutting.
- Use Your Head: One of its main attacks.The Enraged Flamingo let loose a wild headbutt!
A starry, celestial being of unknown origin, and a boss the MOTHER 4 party must fight. He seems to be related to the illusive Modern Men.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Was able to give Travis and his friends a lot of trouble, judging from the party's severely depleted HP and PP in the gameplay trailer.
- Celestial Body: Has a glowing ball of energy for a head, and has stars dotted throughout its humanoid form.
- Disappears into Light: Upon being defeated in the gameplay trailer.The Modern Mind burst into light!
- Energy Beings: Has a glowing energy ball for a head. It's likely that the rest of his body is space energy as well.
- The Faceless: Has a giant energy ball for a head, with no discernible facial features.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: How he meets his end in the gameplay trailer.
- Humanoid Abomination: Other than the fact that he wears a suit, it's currently unknown exactly what he is due to having a giant energy ball for a head.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Looks rather spiffy with his starry suit.
- Shout-Out: His design seems to be directly inspired by the poster for The Thing.
- Visual Pun: He is the result of power (literally) going to his head.
A mysterious, shady group that is the subject of several rumors, and whose goals are implied to be of malignant nature. The Modern Mind seems to be related to them.
- Brainwashing: Implied. This animation◊ from "Update #14" featured Travis encountering a possible enemy (government agent?) surrounded by a sickly lime green aura, possibly hinting at this.
- Color Motif: A sickly lime green. It's shown up on many of their structures and graffiti, and the title screen depicts a world colored green that looks like it's being drained dry.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Possibly hinted as the Modern Men's goal, as the Earth (similar to the mechanized planet in MOTHER 3's logo) features a teardrop, as if it's being drained or leaking out of the Earth itself.
The (currently) unnamed mother and father of Travis and his older brother, Zack. Together with their two children, they make up a traditional nuclear family. The father works in a faraway city, while the mother stays at home.
- Good Parents: They both love Travis and Zack unconditionally, despite one of their sons being more talented than the other. A screenshot from Update #5◊ shows the mother helpfully guiding Travis to Zack's room.
- Happily Married: From what little is seen of them, this appears to be their relationship.
- Housewife: The mother stays at home while her father works somewhere else, though it's downplayed due to Word of God stating she also works locally in Belring.
- Reality Ensues: Seems to be the case with the father; having to work so far away with little time to spend time with family will presumably impact both of his sons.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Zack closely resembles the father, while Travis closely resembles the mother. The hair colors, however (the father is dark-haired and the mother is lighter-haired) are switched around.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: The father works in The City, requiring him to be constantly away from home. Word of God says this will become an important plot element.