open/close all folders
"Mom. You see this!? *points to his mustache* It's called a mustache. It means I'm a MAN. So quit bossing me around!"Impulsive, extremely short fused, stubborn as a mule. Despite this, he will sacrifice anything to keep his family safe.
- Abusive Parent: Downplayed. Due to his frustration that Ness can't control his appetite, he verbally abuses Ness, and yells at him all the time, and would do more than just that if it weren't for Ana holding him back. In reality though, Ninten just wanted Ness to be normal, and deep down swears that he knows that Giegue is the one who caused Ness to act this way. When Ness runs away from home, Ninten regrets treating him that way, and ultimately proves that he actually cares about him.
- Affectionate Nickname: Occasionally called "Nintey" by Ana.
- The All American Man
- Badass Mustache: See his quote.
- Batter Up
- Battle Boomerang
- Battle Couple: With Ana.
- Berserk Button: Never call him Kenneth. Also, never mess with his loved ones.
- Catchphrase: "YOU – FREAKING – PUUUUNK!!!" when angry.
- Also "It's outta here!"
- Childhood Friend Romance
- Deadpan Snarker
- Decoy Protagonist: Until Ness becomes the main focus in Chapter 2.
- The Determinator
- Fatal Flaw: He has asthma. He is not a Nerdy Inhaler though.
- Happily Married: With Ana, minus Chapter 2 when they keep arguing.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: Smaller than most examples', but they're there.
- Idiot Ball: Accidentally getting Ana pregnant. A good Idiot Ball though in this case. Sort of.
- Jealous Parent: After Ness gets affected by the Gluttony Beam, Ninten is very resentful of how much attention he gets and how lenient Ana is with him.
- Jerkass: At times.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Downplayed. Let's get this straight, Ninten is a Nice Guy. He's a fun guy to be around. But what keeps him from being a clean cut Nice Guy is his extremely short temper. Also, if he's annoyed about something, say, about the way his food obsessed son acts, he's a total Jerkass.
- Large Ham
- Lazy Husband: Is this a bit in Chapter 2.
- Like Father, Like Son: Not only does he work nearly as much as his father did, but, they also both like baseball.
- Nice Hat: His San Francisco Giants cap. He gives his red hat to Ness.
- The Nicknamer: Rarely calls Ness by name before Chapter 3. Instead he calls him insulting things such as "Butterball".
- Only Known by Their Nickname
- Only One Name
- Papa Wolf
- Perma-Shave: In fact, he is only shown shaving once in the entire comic! Let alone when he didn't shave in five months and did not grow a beard whatsoever, yet his hair grew.
- Psychic Powers
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Ninten is the only character (besides Teddy) who says words like "damn", "hell", "ass" and "bastard" regularly. Which is the strongest language used in the comic.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his son Ness. Proves to actually be useful.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Prime ribs.
"OOOH. Let’s give you an AWARD for that! The “You insulted your son and made him cry but COULD have called him something something worse” award!"Ana is kind-hearted and very sympathetic. She generally lacks courage, but can well up some for the sake of her loved ones. She's also physically weak, but she has very strong Psychic Powers to compensate.
- Action Mom
- Affectionate Nickname: Occasionally called "Annie" by Ninten.
- Badass: Less so than Ninten, but it's there.
- Pregnant Badass: During the wedding battle.
- Battle Couple: With Ninten.
- Childhood Friend Romance
- Deadpan Snarker: Ana is like this exclusively when in a bad mood. See her quote.
- Dramatic Ellipsis: Talks like this a lot.
- Visible Silence: Would do this a lot too.
- Dreaming of Things to Come
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Types 1 and 4.
- Frying Pan of Doom
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: For reason number 1.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Happily Married: With Ninten, minus Chapter 2 when they keep arguing.
- Living Emotional Crutch: In a way, Ninten is this to Ana. Ana is normally a coward, but around Ninten she feels much braver. This is why when Ana leaves Tracy and King with Ninten's parents so she can find Ness and Ninten, whom the former ran away from home and the latter has been gone for months looking for the former, Ana's father is very surprised, and remarks how much she loves Ninten and Ness for her to be able to push herself to do that.
- Maternally Challenged: Averted. Ana had no problems with parenting at all. Perhaps she read books on it.
- Nice Girl
- No Periods, Period
- Only Sane Woman: Possibly. Just look at Ness and Ninten in Chapter 2!
- Psychic Powers (Only counting ones used)
- Red Mage
- Hand Blast: PK Beam, considered her Signature Move.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: PK Fire, PK Freeze, and PK Thunder
- Status Buff Dispel: PSI Block; interestingly, she never used it to fight. She used it to make Ness stop trying to use PSI to get seconds.
- Mind over Matter
- Healing Factor
- Speaks Fluent Animal
- Seer: She can do this, but only in her dreams.
- Raised Catholic
- Significant Birth Date: Ana's birthday falls on December 23rd; The day before Christmas Eve.
- The Smurfette Principle: Ana is the only female character with a major role.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Got ordered to do this by Ninten in Chapter 2 often.
- Supreme Chef: Oh so much.
- Teen Pregnancy: Was 17-18.
"What's a reservation? Anyways, can I have a hundred and fifty steaks and a few chocolate fudge cakes for dessert?"Ninten and Ana's son. He is destined to save the world in the future, but Giegue changed this by casting a beam on him as a baby giving him nearly insatiable hunger. This makes everything slowly fall apart; and the worst part is, nobody is realizing what is going on, so there's nothing he can do about it, or anyone for that matter.In Chapter 2, Ana tries to put him on a diet, but Ness gets very upset and runs away from home. Ninten goes out and tries to find him, and eventually, by Chapter 4 Ana does too.For a majority of the story, he is 5 years old, so many of his poor decisions are justified.
- A Boy and His Dog: Ness and Fluffy.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Again.
- Anti-Hero: Ness is Type 1, because he doesn't exactly use his powers for heroic deeds. He has used his powers mainly to steal food and for self defense. It is also noteworthy to mention that he has used them to badly injure a kid who called him fat, and then stole his money to buy ice cream. Also, he isn't exactly a hero. He's neutral. The true hero of this story is actually Fluffy.
- Badass Adorable
- Took a Level in Badass: It can be said that when Ness first ran away, he wasn't very good at using his powers and just barely survived everything bad that happened to him. As time passed, he got better at controlling his powers, and becomes more agile as he loses weight. However, that doesn't mean he stopped crying himself to sleep every night.
- Berserk Button: Don't call him fat or deny him when he asks for food.
- Big Eater: AND HOW! Most definitely his defining trait; however, It isn't his fault though; Giegue shot him with The Gluttony Beam as a baby, cursing him with a nearly insatiable appetite as part of his history changing plan. This causes more than enough problems everywhere. Fluffy cured it in the end, using a special move called the Reversal Beam.
- Obsessed with Food
- Crazy Consumption: He greedily stuffs the food in his mouth.
- Extreme Omnivore: The mild form; he ate from the trash several times. Heck, he was even like this in EarthBound!
- Delicious Distraction
- The Snack Is More Interesting: Whenever Ness acquires food, the only thing that concerns him is eating it, and he completely ignores what those around him are saying; no matter what it is; while stuffing his face. If said thing was about food, cue Ness saying "What was that about food?" afterward.
- Black Hole Belly
- Break the Cutie: While most characters that apply for this trope are broken by someone else, Ness broke himself. As the story progresses, he gets more and more miserable, to the point where he cries on almost every page, either out of fear, hunger, or extreme longing to see his mother.
- Catchphrase: "NOTHING GETS BETWEEN NESS NOLASTNAME AND FOOD, NOTHTHIIIIIINGGG!!!"
- The Chosen One
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: The first instance of this is when Ana attempts to put Ness on a diet. While he's being forced to eat broccoli, both Tracy and Ana are eating steak, his Trademark Favorite Food. He freaks out and goes to his room. It happens again later after he ran away from home and is living the Street Urchin life, when Ness looks through a window and sees a family eating dinner, reminding him of his own. He knocks on the door and begs for food, but the man who answers hardly listens to his story and slams the door on him.
- Decoy Protagonist: First we think the protagonist is Ninten, then we think it's Ness, but then it's revealed that Fluffy is the protagonist.
- Deliberately Cute Child: He does this for food. Works on Ana, but not Ninten.
- Does Not Like Spam: Vegetables.
- Fat Comic Relief: This is subverted. It IS Played for Laughs... at first. But, while the funny Big Eater moments and Obsessed with Food quotes keep happening over and over again, after he becomes thin, you realize things are serious and in reality, he's starving to death.
- Fat Idiot: Subverted again. For the same reason as Fat Comic Relief.
- Fatal Flaw: Ness is extremely gluttonous.
- Formerly Fat: after the middle of Chapter 4.
- Goo Goo Godlike: As a baby.
- The Hedonist: Ness's extreme difficulty to resist eating something in his presence. His stomach always wins over his mind.
- I Miss Mom: Read Break the Cutie.
- Idiot Ball
- What an Idiot: Any of the moments where Ness steals food.
- Idiot Hero: He even fits the "most effective member of the cast at fighting" aspect. To be fair, although Ness always puts food in front of his life, he only seems like an idiot because He is five.
- Large Ham: Can be this at times. Not as much as Ninten or Giegue.
- Momma's Boy: Of course the sympathetic form of the trope, since he is only 5.
- Nice Hat: The red cap was given to him by his father.
- No-One Could Survive That: A 5 year old boy dressed in shorts and a t-shirt is out in the wilderness by himself with a dog for months. Who could possibly live through that? Ness is truly a Badass.
- Out of Character: Reason number 4. However, besides the fact that he's Obsessed with Food, he is indeed the same person as he is in EarthBound, and it's easier to see that as the comic nears the ending.
- Picky Eater: He just refuses to eat vegetables.
- Psychic Powers
- Plot Armor: Ness had this attribute more blatently in Chapters 3 and 4. In Chapter 5, it's less obvious but still there.
- The Runaway: For reason 2.
- Street Urchin: when roaming the city streets.
- Significant Birth Date: His birthday is June 5, the day EarthBound got released in the United States, if that's significant.
- Skewed Priorities: Ness, when it comes to getting food. He doesn't care if he has to break into a house or a shop; as long as he gets to eat something.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his father, Ninten. Becomes a plot point.
- Terrible Artist: Ness's Mother's Day drawing on the Chapter 2 cover. Justified, in that he was 4 when he drew it.
- Trademark Favorite Food:"My name is Ness and I love steak!"
- Sweet Tooth: Also seems to show a fondness for chocolate cake.
" No kidding. "Originally a Lulantinote ; he was sent on a mission to bring Ness back to normal and override everyone's memories so they don't remember the whole mess. He was transformed into a dog to do so because let's face it, dogs are more comforting than an... alien... insect... thing. Unfortunately, an accident during time travel wiped his memory, so he doesn't remember what to do. When he meets Ness, however, he can't shake the feeling that he looks familiar, and because of this, he decides to help him in hopes his memory would come back. After Ness gives him a horrible name and begs him for food, Fluffy sticks with Ness and helps him survive in Eternal Forest, mainly by catching fishes and then cooking them with PK Fire. Ness drives him absolutely crazy, but he still sticks with him in hopes that his memory will come back. Eventually, He does in fact get his memory back; by having a squirrel hit him in the head with an acorn, finally remembering what he was supposed to do: bring Ness to the place where the meteorite will strike Onett in the future, and cast the Reversal Beam on him, curing Ness's Gluttony Beam status and utilizing the power of the full moon to replace everyone's memories with what they're supposed to remember.
- Amnesia Danger: He could have cured Ness much earlier if it hadn't been for his amnesia, and if that was the case, Ness wouldn't be nearly as hungry.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: justified. He's really a Lulantis.
- Animal Talk: Fluffy, and pretty much every other animal character. However, the animals seem to understand humans, and humans need PSI to understand the animals.
- Berserk Button: Please, for the love of god Ness, be sure to SHARE your damn pastries with Fluffy.
- Canine Companion
- Non-Human Sidekick: Even though that technically Fluffy is the hero of the story.
- Comical Angry Face: Prone to these when his Berserk Button is pressed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Like with Enraged by Idiocy, Before his memory returns. Then he knows why Ness is so hungry all the time, and cuts back on the cynical comments.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Since he is affected by amnesia and does not remember his name, he allows Ness to give him a name. He names him Fluffy because he is brown like a chocolate cake and cakes have fluffy icing. Fluffy hated it but had no choice but to go with it since he doesn't remember his real name.
- Stock Animal Name: Fluffy is a stock name... for a cat.
- Identity Amnesia
- Laser-Guided Amnesia Fluffy forgets who is is and what he needs to do, but he remembers most if not all of his PSI powers and skills.
- Only Sane Dog: Justified, You try to deal with a food obsessed 5 year old! Of course he's more sane than Ness.
- Psychic Powers
- Quest for Identity: His reason for joining Ness; he recognized him a little.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Kind of the inverse of what normally happens with this trope. In this case, the animal gave the human the food.
- Terminator Twosome: Fluffy and Giygas. Giygas is trying to change history, and Fluffy is trying to ensure that time takes its established course. Or else, the Earth will be taken over.
Big Bad of MOTHER, is back, ready to resume his Earth invasion which got stalled by Ninten, Ana, and Loid several years ago.
- Aliens Speaking English: Justified. He was raised by a human.
- Big Bad
- Even Bad Aliens Love Their Mamas: Though he hates admitting it.
- Evil Gloating: Very prone to this.
- Evil Laugh: MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
- Galactic Conqueror
- Just Between You and Me: Giegue reveals everything at the end to Ninten and Ana. Ninten goes mad. Until Giegue completely immobilizes both him and Ana with Super Paralysis, which is PSI Paralysis Up to Eleven.
- Higher-Tech Species
- Large Ham: Similar to Invader Zim.
- My Future Self and Me: When he meets his future self, who gives him the Gluttony Beam.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Called "The Universal Cosmic Destroyer"
- Psychic Powers
- Puny Earthlings: Giegue's common insult to humans.
- Telepathic Spacemen
- The Villain Makes the Plot: Giegue makes the entire plot of the MOTHER series in general.
- We Are as Mayflies: Giegue is at least 90 Earth years old. However he still seems pretty young. His species must have much longer longevity than humans.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Giegue's species cannot breathe in Earth's air and must wear some sort of helmet containing the substance they breathe. Which explains why Giegue is in a special liquid casing in Mother 1.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Come on, you've played MOTHER.
- You Fool!: Prone to calling people this.
"The book says the Chosen Four is made up of three males and one female human. The book also says the female can call upon everyone on Earth and beyond, and as the Apple of Enlightenment predicted, she will defeat you using this power. So, it's not the entire group we need to get rid of, it's her. She may not be the most powerful member, but she is the only one who can defeat you."insert description here
"Can't you see, blubber boy!? The cake was a lie! This was all a trick! "A very persistent grizzly bear who will stop at nothing to eat Ness.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude
- The Cake Is a Lie: Boog promises Ness cake in his den. It was a lie.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Killed Off for Real
- Shout-Out: His name is obviously taken from Open Season.
- Slasher Smile
- Super-Persistent Predator: Hell, he even stalled his hibernation just to find and eat Ness.
- You Can Run, but You Can't Hide: Boog inverts this phrase, putting into account that Ness can barely run.
"Uhh... let's just put it this way. You and the baby are more related than two hydrogen atoms!"Loid is one of Ninten's best friends.
- Demoted to Extra: In Video Game/Mother1, Loid was one of the playable characters, and at that, the only required character besides Ninten. In Mother 2 And A Half, Loid only appeared in Chapter 1, worked as Ninten and Ana's baby doctor and his house was pretty much a place for the couple to hang out at when their parents were at home. Loid was also the Best Man at Ninten and Ana's wedding. After that, Loid never appeared again.
- Geek Physiques: Though he compensates for this in the wedding battle with explosives.
- Guest Star Party Member
- Heroic Albino
- Hollywood Nerd: Type 1.
- Nerds Are Virgins
- Nerd Glasses
- Teen Genius
- The Smart Guy: Fills this role in the wedding battle.
""A tough tomboyish girl rescued from zombies by Ninten as a young child, this blatant copy of Pippi Longstocking is another close friend of him and lived close-by. She was one of Ana's bridesmaids in the wedding, and is never seen again for a long time afterward. She and her mother moved away to another town several days after the wedding, and it isn't revealed where until later. Turns out, that while Ness and Fluffy were wondering around Eternal Forest, they came across the town where she happened to move to. Pippi comes across the weak and hungry Ness and takes him in her home, quickly realizing that he's actually Ninten and Ana's son. After giving him food and a warm place to stay for the night, Ness leaves because he snuck and ate nearly all of her food. The next day, turns out, Ninten and Ana arrive at that town, and while Pippi was searching for Ness, she bumps into them, and tells Ninten and Ana about her experience with Ness the day before, which rejuvenates their dwindling hope that Ness is still alive.