Characters: Mother 2 And A Half
Here are many of the characters in Mother 2 And A Half
, and their character tropes.
open/close all folders
"Mom. You see this!? *points to his mustache* It's called a mustache. It means I'm a MAN. So quit bossing me around!"
Impulsive, extremely short fused, stubborn as a mule. Despite this, he will sacrifice anything to keep his family safe.
- Abusive Parent: Downplayed. Due to his frustration that Ness can't control his appetite, he verbally abuses Ness, and yells at him all the time, and would do more than just that if it weren't for Ana holding him back. In reality though, Ninten just wanted Ness to be normal, and deep down swears that he knows that Giegue is the one who caused Ness to act this way. When Ness runs away from home, Ninten regrets treating him that way, and ultimately proves that he actually cares about him.
- Affectionate Nickname: Occasionally called "Nintey" by Ana.
- The All American Man
- Batter Up
- Battle Boomerang
- Battle Couple: With Ana.
- Berserk Button: Never call him Kenneth. Also, never mess with his loved ones.
- Catchphrase: "YOU – FREAKING – PUUUUNK!!!" when angry.
- Childhood Friend Romance
- Deadpan Snarker
- Decoy Protagonist: Until Ness becomes the main focus in Chapter 2.
- The Determinator
- Fatal Flaw: He has asthma. He is not a Nerdy Inhaler though.
- Happily Married: With Ana, minus Chapter 2 when they keep arguing.
- Idiot Ball: Accidentally getting Ana pregnant. A good Idiot Ball though in this case. Sort of.
- Jealous Parent: After Ness gets affected by the Gluttony Beam, Ninten is very resentful of how much attention he gets and how lenient Ana is with him.
- Jerkass: At times.
- Large Ham
- Lazy Husband: Is this a bit in Chapter 2.
- Like Father, Like Son: Not only does he work nearly as much as his father did, but, they also both like baseball.
- Nice Hat: His San Francisco Giants cap. He gives his red hat to Ness.
- The Nicknamer: Rarely calls Ness by name before Chapter 3. Instead he calls him insulting things such as "Butterball".
- Only Known by Their Nickname
- Only One Name
- Papa Wolf
- Perma Shave: In fact, he is only shown shaving once in the entire comic! Let alone when he didn't shave in five months and did not grow a beard whatsoever, yet his hair grew.
- Psychic Powers
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Ninten is the only character (besides Teddy) who says words like "damn", "hell", "ass" and "bastard" regularly. Which is the strongest language used in the comic.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his son Ness. Proves to actually be useful.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Prime ribs.
Ninten and Ana's son. He is destined to save the world in the future
, but Giegue changed this by casting a beam on him as a baby giving him nearly insatiable hunger
. This makes everything slowly fall apart; and the worst part is, nobody is realizing what is going on, so there's nothing he can do about it, or anyone for that matter.
In Chapter 2, Ana tries to put him on a diet, but Ness gets very upset and runs away from home. Ninten goes out and tries to find him, and eventually, by Chapter 4 Ana does too.
For a majority of the story, he is 5 years old, so many of his poor decisions are justified.
" No kidding. " Originally a Lulantinote ; he was sent on a mission to bring Ness back to normal and override everyone's memories so they don't remember the whole mess. He was transformed into a dog to do so because let's face it, dogs are more comforting than an... alien... insect... thing.
Unfortunately, an accident during time travel wiped his memory, so he doesn't remember what to do. When he meets Ness, however, he can't shake the feeling that he looks familiar, and because of this, he decides to help him in hopes his memory would come back. After Ness gives him a horrible name
and begs him for food
, Fluffy sticks with Ness and helps him survive in Eternal Forest, mainly by catching fishes and then cooking them with PK Fire. Ness drives him absolutely crazy
, but he still sticks with him in hopes that his memory will come back. Eventually, He does in fact get his memory back; by having a squirrel hit him in the head with an acorn, finally remembering what he was supposed to do: bring Ness to the place where the meteorite will strike Onett in the future, and cast the Reversal Beam on him, curing Ness's Gluttony Beam status and utilizing the power of the full moon to replace everyone's memories with what they're supposed to remember.
- Amnesia Danger: He could have cured Ness much earlier if it hadn't been for his amnesia, and if that was the case, Ness wouldn't be nearly as hungry.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: justified. He's really a Lulantis.
- Animal Talk: Fluffy, and pretty much every other animal character. However, the animals seem to understand humans, and humans need PSI to understand the animals.
- Berserk Button: Please, for the love of god Ness, be sure to SHARE your damn pastries with Fluffy.
- Canine Companion
- Comical Angry Face: Prone to these when his Berserk Button is pressed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Like with Enraged By Idiocy, Before his memory returns. Then he knows why Ness is so hungry all the time, and cuts back on the cynical comments.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Since he is affected by amnesia and does not remember his name, he allows Ness to give him a name. He names him Fluffy because he is brown like a chocolate cake and cakes have fluffy icing. Fluffy hated it but had no choice but to go with it since he doesn't remember his real name.
- Identity Amnesia
- Laser-Guided Amnesia Fluffy forgets who is is and what he needs to do, but he remembers most if not all of his PSI powers and skills.
- Only Sane Dog: Justified, You try to deal with a food obsessed 5 year old! Of course he's more sane than Ness.
- Psychic Powers
- Quest for Identity: His reason for joining Ness; he recognized him a little.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Kind of the inverse of what normally happens with this trope. In this case, the animal gave the human the food.
- Terminator Twosome: Fluffy and Giygas. Giygas is trying to change history, and Fluffy is trying to ensure that time takes its established course. Or else, the Earth will be taken over.
Giegue, the Big Bad
, is back, ready to resume his Earth invasion which got stalled by Ninten, Ana, and Loid several years ago.
insert description here
"The book says the Chosen Four is made up of three males and one female human. The book also says the female can call upon everyone on Earth and beyond, and as the Apple of Enlightenment predicted, she will defeat you using this power. So, it's not the entire group we need to get rid of, it's her. She may not be the most powerful member, but she is the only one who can defeat you."
insert description here
A very persistent grizzly bear who will stop at nothing to eat Ness.
"Uhh... let's just put it this way. You and the baby are more related than two hydrogen atoms!"
Loid is one of Ninten's best friends.
A tough tomboyish girl rescued from zombies by Ninten as a young child, this blatant copy of Pippi Longstocking
is another close friend of him and lived close-by. She was one of Ana's bridesmaids in the wedding, and is never seen again for a long time afterward. She and her mother moved away to another town several days after the wedding, and it isn't revealed where until later. Turns out, that while Ness and Fluffy were wondering around Eternal Forest, they came across the town where she happened to move to. Pippi comes across the weak and hungry Ness and takes him in her home, quickly realizing that he's actually Ninten and Ana's son. After giving him food and a warm place to stay for the night, Ness leaves because he snuck and ate nearly all of her food. The next day, turns out, Ninten and Ana arrive at that town, and while Pippi was searching for Ness, she bumps into them, and tells Ninten and Ana about her experience with Ness the day before, which rejuvenates their dwindling hope that Ness is still alive.