Characters: MOTHER 1
open/close all folders
A twelve-year-old American boy, who lives with his parents and twin younger sisters outside the town of Podunk (Mother's Day). He sets out to find the Eight Melodies and possibly uncover secrets about his mysterious great-grandparents. Not much information is given about his personality, but he seems to be a kind, brave kid, if with a bit of a temper. He loves prime ribs, penguins, and baseball, and occasionally suffers from asthma.
- The Ace
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Saori Kumi's novel switches Ana and Ninten's hair colors. It turns out that there was a reason for that later on.
- Adaptation Name Change: He's known as "Ken" in the novelization.
- The All-American Boy: He's a bat-wielding Everyman boy from a small American town.
- Badass Adorable
- Batter Up: Uses baseball bats as weapons.
- Berserk Button: Lying about his mother calling him is not a smart move, hippies.
- Of course, he got mad when his sisters are attacked.
- Big Brother Instinct: When his sisters are attacked the first few moments in game, he will endeavor to destroy whatever harms them to save them.
- Combat Medic: He has a powerful physical attack, the strongest of all permanent members, but all of his PSI is assist and healing. He doesn't even get a Signature Move like Ness's PSI Rockin or Lucas's PK Love.
- Fountain of Expies: His appearance (especially his trademark striped shirt) set the standard for MOTHER series protagonists.
- Ness is the most obvious example, as he is almost an exact copy of him. As Ness is more well-known, this sometimes leads to confusion, as they share the same outfit. Fans often draw Ninten wearing a red neckerchief and a red, white, and blue stripe pattern on his shirt to differentiate them, based on a live-action Japanese commercial for MOTHER.
- The Hero
- Heroic Mime: Until the ending, at least in the English prototype.
- Jack of All Stats: Contrasting Ness and Lucas in the sequels, Ninten isn't held back by a horrible Speed stat while still throwing around physical attacks just as hard, which is pretty impressive for an asthmatic. On the flip-side however, his massive PSI movepool is all support and no Offense-grade skills.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The novelization written by Saori Kumi portrays him as this.
- Magic Knight: Has healing and shield PSI, with strong attack and good defense.
- Nice Hat: The baseball cap that he convinced his dad to buy for him.
- Official Couple: Ninten and Ana are actually the only fully canon couple between the playable characters in the series, which is something most people forget.
- Primary-Color Champion
- Psychic Powers
- Scarf of Asskicking: The live-action commercial for the game has Ninten wearing a red neckerchief. Most fan artists tend to draw Ninten with this in order to help distinguish him from Ness.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Lloyd's Sensitive Guy. He becomes the Sensitive Guy when Teddy takes the latter's place.
- Support Party Member: Has only support/healing PSI, but is capable of powerful normal attacks.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Prime ribs.
- White Mage: Only has support and healing PSI.
The eleven-year-old boy genius from Merrysville (Thanksgiving). Loid is brilliant, but is often bullied by his classmates for being a nerd and a weakling. He developed a tendency to hide in trash cans to avoid confrontation. Despite this, he has a great deal of determination, even when it comes to the dreaded gym class. Bullying has left him very shy and cowardly when he joins Ninten, but over time he becomes stronger and more confident in himself. He likes rockets, science, computers, and Superman.
- Badass Adorkable
- Big Damn Heroes: He saves Ninten, Ana, and Teddy from being slaughtered by the R7038, but he is too late to save the critically-wounded Teddy. He still manages to destroy the R7038, however.
- Butt Monkey: He gets bullied a lot at school, and everyone calls him a weakling.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Heroic Albino: Never explicitly stated to be albino, however, fans like to portray him as this, given his white hair and poor eyesight.
- Item Caddy
- Lovable Coward: Ninten meets Loid hiding from bullies in a garbage can. He later gets over his cowardice through Character Development.
- Meaningful Name: Loid's name comes from his Japanese name, "Roido," coming from the word "roidomegane", meaning "round glasses with thick plastic rims".
- Nerd Glasses
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Ninten's Manly Man.
- The Smart Guy
- Spell My Name with an "S": MOTHER translates his name as "Loid," but his sticker in Super Smash Bros. Brawl calls him "Lloyd". Tomato's retranslation of MOTHER 1 also gives him Lloyd as his default name.
- Youthful Freckles
The only permanent female member of the group, Ana is a twelve-year-old from Snowman. A sweet, but timid girl, Ana has never ventured out of Snowman alone. She is described as kind at heart, with a great sense of direction. Before the start of the adventure, Ana was unable to sleep due to odd dreams, and sets out with Ninten in hopes of finding her abducted mother. She is deeply religious (one of her favorite possessions being a Bible), is a skilled piano player, and also collects stamps and envelopes.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: She's a brunette in the novelization.
- Badass Adorable: This adorable little girl in pink and pigtails has some powerful PSI.
- The Chick
- Friend to All Living Things: A lover of all animals, she once released all the frogs set to be dissected at her school with her mind.
- Girlish Pigtails: Only with her hat off. When it's on, she has a single ponytail.
- The Ingenue
- Little Miss Badass
- Missing Mom: One of the big reasons she offers to join Ninten is to find her mother.
- Nice Hat
- Psychic Powers
- Red Mage: Her support and healing PSI is even better than Ninten's, and she's the only offensive PSI user in the party.
- Spoiled Sweet
- Squishy Wizard: Boy, is she ever.
- White Magician Girl: Subverted. She has the typical personality of one, but is actually a Red Mage.
Unlike the other members of the party, Teddy is not a kid; rather, he is a young man in his late teens to twenties. Leader of the B.B. (Black Blood Gang), he is the kingpin of the town of Ellay (Valentine) until some kids came in and started messing with his crew. After he is beaten by Ninten, he joins the party to avenge the death of his parents. He likes smoking, fighting, and rock and roll.
- The Alcoholic: The MOTHER Encyclopedia implies that Teddy is this.
- The Big Guy
- Cool Shades / Triangle Shades: He was doing Kamina's shades over a decade before Kamina (or Squirtle).
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Guest Star Party Member
- Fan Nickname: Jack, which didn't last long once the official translation was discovered.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Plotline Death: Only in the original Japanese version. In the translated prototype and the MOTHER 1 + 2 GBA port, he is shown recovering in a hospital.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Ninten's Sensitive Guy.
- Smoking Is Cool: It is said that Teddy smokes "Horse Shit" brand cigarettes in the MOTHER Encyclopedia.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: A NPC will tell you that, before his parents' deaths, he was a very nice boy.
- You Killed My Father: His parents were supposedly killed by wild animals on Mt. Itoi, and he joined Ninten in order to avenge them. The MOTHER Encyclopedia says that it was actually a car accident, but he refused to pay attention to this finding.
A pigtailed young girl whom Ninten must save from zombies.
- Action Girl
- Badass Adorable
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Unused data suggests you would have had to fight a zombified Pippi before she joined you.
- Cute Bruiser: You wouldn't expect her to have the exact same stat growths as Teddy.
- If you realize she's Pippi Longstocking, then yes, yes you would.
- Fiery Redhead: In a good way.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Guest Star Party Member
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Of Pippi Longstocking. Her last name is also the same as the author of the Pippi Longstocking books, Astrid Lindgren.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Little Miss Badass
- Little Miss Snarker
- Pintsized Powerhouse
- Precocious Crush: She's 7 years old, and they way she talks to the 12-year old Ninten, it's clear she has a thing for him.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Her quote in the Mother Encyclopedia rhymes, and note that it was after it was translated to English that it rhymed."I'm Pippi. Who're you? What is it you're up to? I'm off on an adventure every day. Don't think of me as boyish, OK?"
- Super-Strong Child
- Youthful Freckles
Ninten's FamilyNinten has a Mother, a Father and two sisters, Mimmie and Minnie. Much like Ness's family, Minnie can store items, and Ninten's dad is only spoken to over the telephone.
- Addressing the Player
- The Faceless: Dad, though we at least see some of him in the translated ending
- Sequel Hook: Though it never goes anywhere.
- Trauma Inn: Mom's function.
- Unnamed Parent
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Just what was that "something" that Ninten's dad was fretting over at the end of the game?
Queen Mary / MariaThe ethereal, beautiful queen of the mysterious land of Magicant. She has fallen gravely ill, and the only thing that will restore her to her former self are the Eight Melodies. She is Ninten's great-grandmother, and was the deeply-beloved foster mother of Giygas.
- The High Queen
- Ninten, I Am Your Great-Grandmother: She is Ninten's great-grandmother, who disappeared a long time ago and has been trapped in her own mental world ever since.
- Posthumous Character: Technically.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Or queens, anyway.
- Stockholm Syndrome
- Walking Spoiler
GeorgeMentioned only in the prologue and at the end of the game, he is the reason for the alien invasion, as he stole the secret of PSI from Giygas's species. He is the husband of Maria and the great-grandfather of Ninten.
- The Atoner: Does his best to protect Ninten from the consequences of his actions.
- Came Back Wrong: Was the most popular guy in town before the abduction, but when he escaped, he sealed both his doors and his mouth shut, and blew his top whenever Maria was mentioned.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He built EVE. This is particularly impressive since he lived before there was even the concept of a robot. He must have learned a lot from the aliens.
- Posthumous Character: Though it is never seen nor mentioned how he died.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: If you think about it, he is responsible for every negative event of the entire series. He does not live to see any of this.
- Walking Spoiler
The grim leader of the invading alien forces. He leads the invasion to take revenge for the human theft of his race's PSI technology, but his resolve crumbles when confronted with the memory of his beloved foster mother, and swears to come back to finish the job later.
- Big Bad
- Disproportionate Retribution
- Expy: Mewtwo of Pokémon was based on his design, and depending on the Pokémon canon in question other similarities crop up. Which makes sense since the creators of the Mother series (at least this and the second one) APE inc. went on to become Creatures inc. and created the Pokemon series.
- Galactic Conqueror
- The Greys
- Humans Through Alien Eyes
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Feeling hurt over the loss of Maria, he now desperately wants Ninten to join him.
- Kill All Humans: It soon becomes apparent that he has forsaken love from humans entirely, which is seen during the confrontation with Ninten and friends:"Ninten! I am grateful to your family. Your Great-Grandparents, George and Maria, raised me when I was very young. But, George stole vital information from our planet that can be used to betray my people... And now, one of his descendants is obstructing our plans, and must be stopped!! Ninten! I am talking about you! Go home now! Perish with the rest of the ugly Earth People. Foolish one, you cannot do a thing with your meager powers... Powers worthy of a lowly insect. Ninten! You alone, I may save you. Just you alone. Board our Mother Ship with me."
- Love Makes You Evil
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Giygas' race abducted Maria and her husband George. The alien himself was raised from infancy by them. During this time, George studied the alien's PSI powers without their permission, culminating with their escape back to Earth. Once he matured, Giygas was tasked by his people to ensure that PSI never spread onto Earth. However, Giygas did not want to betray those who raised him. In the end, he was forced to detach himself from Maria and begin preparations for the invasion of Earth.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: He cannot be defeated with force or with weaponry. Only reminding him that his human adoptive mother loved him can damage him mentally.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Depending on the translation, his name came up as: Giegue in the original NES Earth Bound (Zero) prototype, Gyiyg in Japan and in EarthBound and Starmen.net's Fan Translation as Giygas.
- Start of Darkness: His role here lay the foundation for what he became in EarthBound. Ninten rejecting his offers of companionship, coupled with his memories of his adoptive human mother used against him, tore Giygas up inside, until by Mother 2/Earthbound there's nothing left.
- Singing the Alien to Death
- Tragic Monster: Especially once you learn what happens to him later...
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Maria grew to love the young Giygas as if he were her own child. She said that he was always wagging his tail, and would only stop whenever she sang her lullabies.
- Walking Spoiler: At least in this game. Not that anyone cares.
- We Will Meet Again: He vows to return to Ninten. Except he doesn't. There is no direct sequel to this encounter.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: Even before his trope-naming sequel appearance."The form of Giegue's attack was inexplicable!"
- You Will Be Spared: He's willing to spare Ninten due to being indebted to his great grandmother.