Characters: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 HRL
open/close all folders
A Human Reform League mobile suit commander known as the "Wild Bear of Russia," but he's actually a very chill guy and is one of the only people who is shown to be capable of outwitting Sumeragi. He is such a good pilot, that even at the age of 43 he can keep up with teenagers, even though it's an anime. He a father figure to Soma Pieries, instilling in her a sense of kindness that took even him by surprise. (He apparently failed in raising his own son Andrei though, according to said son, but then, Andrei is just a Jerk Ass.) Sergei refuses to join A-Laws, and will smack the fools who pass information about him to them.Voiced by Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese) and Michael Dobson (English)
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: He's a really good pilot.
- Badass Baritone: Especially in the original Japanese version.
- Cool Old Guy: Not all that old, really - he's 48 in season 2 - but still much older than most other characters. And undeniably cool, of course.
- Fan Nickname: "Papa Bear" (not the male version of this trope). Also "Pedo Bear", considering that he was kinda close to Soma when she's still having that 'loli' vibe around her, even though Soma was already an adult when first introduced. This actually comes from his Japanese nickname "Kuma-san", meaning "Bear".
- Genius Bruiser: An very good mobile suit pilot and an excellent strategist.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Subverted: He's a good and reasonable man, but has a HUGE facial scar typical of bad guys.
- Hero Antagonist: To Celestial Being.
- Honor Before Reason: Is completed dedicated to being a soldier and always follows orders. This ultimately gets him killed by his son, who can't understand why he let his mother die.
- It Runs in the Family: His wife, son and adopted daughter are all soldiers.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Flashbacks showed he was Tall, Dark and Handsome back in the days.
- Killed Off for Real: Goddammit, Andrei!
- The Last DJ: He is the only named character from the ESF army that didn't join A-LAWS.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Papa Bear is named from this guy.
- Parental Substitute: To Soma.
- Poor Communication Kills: Quite literally: failure to reach to his own son Andrei ultimately cost him a life.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He very much dislikes the treatment of Soma Peries, and hates the A-LAWS in season 2.
- Red Baron: "Wild Bear of Russia"
- Russian Guy Suffers Most: The poor man lost his wife and his son hates him for it. And then it only got worse.
- Stuffed In The Fridge: To screw up with both Marie and Andrei.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Adult version of this trope. Hank Hercules, himself and his wife Holly.
Soma Peries/Marie Parfacy
Bred for battle in a laboratory by the HRL, she is focused, ruthless, and emotionless. Except when she's not.Voiced by Arisa Ogasawara (Japanese) and Tabitha St. Germain (English)
- Aloof Ally: Even to Celestial Being.
- Badass Adorable: Cold & efficient Super Soldier with a soft side for Colonel Sergei & later as Marie for Allelujah/Hallelujah.
- Dark Action Girl: A persistent antagonist during S1 and into S2 until she joins Celestial Being and loses the "dark" part of Action Girl.
- Cute Bruiser: Follows the Gundam tradition of female pilots getting pink mobile suits, and she's a supersoldier.
- Happily Adopted: She lived with Sergei during the four-year Time Skip and is set to be legally adopted. Unfortunately, Sergei's own son and her sort-of stepbrother killed him. However, she lives with her boyfriend and his surrogate family by that time, so somehow the trope stands.
- Heel-Face Turn: She follows Allelujah to Celestial Being when her Marie personality awakens.
- Good Is Not Nice: Poor Allelujah..
- It's Personal and Revenge: She became an Unknown Rival to her stepbrother Andrei after he killed Sergei.
- Sixth Ranger: After Sergei was killed, she returns as Soma from being Marie, but continues to fight with Celestial Being to avenge him from his murderer. Soma has a Co-Sixth Ranger of sorts in Saji Crossroad, but embodies the trope more compared to him. Plus, she was the sixth to sortie (while in Celestial Being, not counted her times in A-LAWS).
- Split Personality: As a child, Marie was comatose and only able to communicate with Quantum Brain Waves. This problem was solved by implanting the Soma personality, allowing her to function.
- Split Personality Merge: Did this in season 2.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Although she was designed to be a soldier and has no hesitation about going into battle, she gives rookie pilot Louise Halevy some encouragement and welcomes the idea of joining Sergei's family.
- Super Soldier: Specifically, She is E-001.
- Transforming and Combining Mecha: The GN Archer can transform into a mobile suit. It can also combine with Allelujah's Arios Gundam during mobile armor mode to form the Archer Arios. For The Movie, she and her boyfriend co-pilot the Harute.
- Tyke Bomb: She came from the same super-soldier facility that Allelujah did, and Sergei is uncomfortable with the concept.
Marie ParfacyShe's also Marie Parfacy, which Allelujah likes to remind her of. ALL THE TIME.Voiced by the same voice actresses that does Soma.
- Action Girl (Friend): Sweet and gentle and all, she's still more than willing to join the fight if it's needed, and is skilled enough to survive the series without many scratches.
- Badass Adorable: Her gentleness can often make people forget that she is a Super Soldier, with tons of experience in combat.
- [Bridge Bunny: Temporarily took up this role in Celestial Being, before she got back into action.
- Battle Couple: With Allelujah, once her Ten Episodes Retirement was over.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: In The Movie trailers, we see her with braided hair.
- Girl In White: During her time in the HRL Super Soldier program shown in Flashbacks.
- Mystical Waif: Telepathic and blind Ill Girl as a child. No longer blind and ill, but still telepathic.
- Never Found the Body: After episode 7 of S2, A-LAWS believes her to be KIA for quite a while.
- Red String of Fate: They were constantly drawn to each other even when they were still trying kill each other. Blame the telepathy.
- Tag Along Girl: From episodes 7-17 of season 2.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Soma and Marie could be seen as the two in one body. Marie is a gentle girly girl, Soma is a tough tomboy. Likewise, their/her boyfriend/s H/Allelujah can be seen as the two in one body to the male counterpart of this trope.
- True Love's Kiss: With Allelujah once they hook up.
- Tsundere: Due to her multiple personalities - Marie (deredere) loves Allelujah, Soma (tsuntsun)... doesn't.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: With H/Allelujah.
- Walking the Earth: Along with the rest of CB, however slightly different in that she leaves CB with Allelujah to walk the Earth on their own in order to find the meaning behind their existence.