Characters: Maria-sama ga Miteru
Here are the characters of Maria-sama ga Miteru
. Unmarked spoilers abound.
open/close all folders
House of Chinensis
Voiced by: Kana Ueda
(Japanese) and Sarah Hauser (English, Animax)
The main character, a shy, insecure freshman at Lillian Girls' High School who caught the attention of Sachiko while praying at a statue of the Virgin Mary. The upperclassman promptly gives her a rosary, inducting her into Yamayurikai, Lillian's Absurdly Powerful Student Council
as Sachiko's petite sœur ("younger sister", or technically her successor as Rosa Chinensis), setting off events that eventually turn the otherwise shy Yumi into a better person through her interactions with the rest of the Yamayurikai. Upon entering second year, she is elevated as Rosa Chinensis en bouton
and eventually takes Sachiko's first-year relative Touko as petite sœur.
Voiced by: Miki Itō
(Japanese) and Candice Moore (English, Animax)
Yumi's grande sœur ("older sister", or predecessor) as Rosa Chinensis en bouton
of Yamayurikai. She encounters Yumi near the statue of the Virgin Mary, to whom she gives her rosary to induct her as petite sœur because she, as (until then) the sole sœur without a successor, is slated to play Cinderella alongside her on-and-off fiancé Suguru — a role she's not to thrilled to have. As they spend more time together, Sachiko trains Yumi in the ways of Lillian, while Yumi adapts her to the life of a commoner, all the while uncovering her personal demons. After Youko's graduation, she fill the latter's position as Rosa Chinensis
Sachiko's grande sœur and (until her graduation) the Rosa Chinensis
of Yamayurikai. Having attended Lillian since middle school, she was tricked by the previous Rosa Gigantea
and Rosa Chinensis
into taking up Sachiko. She eventually eases up into her new role as the latter's mentor, and eventually becomes instrumental in inducting Yumi into the Yamayurikai. Throughout her stay at Lillian she always looks after Sachiko's wellbeing. Upon graduation she takes up law.
Sachiko's younger distant relative, first-year entrant to Lillian High during Sachiko's third year and Yumi's second, and an accomplished stage actress. While she tends to be very rude to Yumi (especially because she's very close to Sachiko, whom she admires), going so far as to reject Yumi's offer to become her petite sœur, the latter's kind, helpful personality starts to rub off on her, whether she admits it or not. Eventually, Yumi discovers her terrible secret — she is an orphan, adopted by her current family after her biological parents were killed in a vehicular accident that left her as sole survivor. After Yumi helps her deal with them, Touko, grateful and at peace with herself, finally accepts Yumi's rosary and is thus vested as both Yumi's petitie sœur and Rosa Chinensis en bouton
House of Gigantea
Sei, Rosa Gigantea
(until her graduation) of Yamayurikai, is the polar opposite of most of her fellow student council members: loud, rough-around-the-edges and loves to push people's buttons. Unlike the other members of the Yamayurikai, she selected the two-years-younger Shimako as her petite sœur — after personal tragedies that marred her second-year life, during which time she started devoting herself to books. After graduation, she enters Lillian University as an English and American Literature major and has bought herself a yellow Volkswagen New Beetle.
- Bifauxnen: More so compared to most of her fellow Yamayurikai members, more so when she enters college.
- Bookworm: Started her love for books during second year as a way of coping with personal tragedy.
- Break the Cutie: Suffered a lot of personal tragedies during eleventh-grade, and as a result she has become a little bit less hyperactive than she used to.
- Brilliant but Lazy
- But Not Too Foreign: She is half-Caucasian, as evidenced by her stature, blonde hair, gray eyes and cheekbone structure.
- Drives Like Crazy
- Gayngst: Unable to find happiness with Shiori when the latter became a nun.
- Genki Girl
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Youko.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Being likely the only out-of-the-closet lesbian in a school filled with pretty girls.
- The Mentor: To Yumi, in the event Sachiko is unable to fulfill that capacity.
- Put on a Bus: Graduates midway through the second season. Downplayed, however, as she enters Lillian's college division, meaning she can still visit her old friends.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Youko's blue.
- Sempai/Kohai: A two-years-ahead sempai to Shimako.
- Statuesque Stunner
- Team Mom: Surprisingly, this rather nonconformist girl is also one of the most mature members of the Yamayurikai.
- The Tease
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Eriko.
Prim, proper and gentle, Shimako, Rosa Gigantea en bouton
of Yamayurikai, is one of Lillian's most admired freshmen. Amongst the principal first-years she is the most quiet, though that hides her deep sense of resolve. She was picked by Sei as her petite sœur at the tail end of the latter's year-long Heroic BSOD
, and thus has a two-year gap. Come second-year she was elevated as Rosa Gigantea
— a position she will hold for two straight years — and, after some vacillation, handpicks Noriko as her petite sœur.
A girl with an obsession for anything Buddhist, who finds herself undergoing some culture shock when an unexpected turn of events force her to attend Lillian, a strictly Roman Catholic school. With the school's nature very foreign to her, she finds solace in the form of the likewise solitary Shimako, who then chooses her as petite sœur and Rosa Gigantea en bouton
House of Foetida
Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa
(Japanese) and Candice Moore (English, Animax)
A freshman with a heart condition who has to be frequently cared for by her cousin and grande sœur, Rei. Despite this, Yoshino is rather tomboyish and independent, which clashes with Rei's wishes to protect her. One heart surgery, however, and Yoshino finally finds the chance to release all those pent-up energy. Come second year she is elevated as Rosa Foetida en bouton
, though she hasn't chosen her petite sœur yet.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't react well whenever Rei and Eriko are being too close for comfort.
- Genki Girl: After many years ridden with a heart condition, post-surgery Yoshino finally has a chance to release all those pent-up hot blood.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wears her hair as a pair of braids.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yumi, with whom she becomes comfortably close enough to reveal her issues to her.
- Hime Cut
- Hot-Blooded: Shows this after her surgery.
- Ill Girl: Initially. With her heart surgery, though, she gets a new dose of energy.
- Protectorate: Of Rei, which causes some clashes with the independent Yoshino.
- Second Year Protagonist: From the second season onwards.
- Sempai/Kohai: The kohai to Rei.
- Smarter Than You Look: Which makes Yumi mistake her for a psychic.
- Tsundere: Type B — especially nice to everyone, but tends to lash out on Rei whenever she's upset or Rei is being too overprotective. She ultimately becomes comfortable enough with Yumi to reveal her deep-seated issues.
Voiced by: Shizuka Ito
(Japanese) and Candice Moore (English, Animax)
Yoshino's next-door neighbor, cousin and grande sœur and Rosa Foetida en bouton
of Yamayurikai. Despite her masculine looks and role as captain of Lillian's kendo team, she's very feminine — she loves sightseeing, reading shoujo manga, and does domestic chores for Yoshino, much to the latter's consternation due to Rei's sometimes overprotective nature. Come third-year she is elevated to Rosa Foetida
in place of Eriko.
Rei's grande sœur and (until graduation) Rosa Foetida
of Yamayurikai. Eriko is smart and gifted, but also enigmatic and eccentric. After graduation she went on to study arts.
Schoolmates Within Sachiko's Year
Editor-in-chief of Lillian's weekly circulation newspaper, "Lillian Kawaraban" and grande sœur to Yumi's classmate Mami.
Voiced by: Akiko Nakagawa
Sei's old classmate and former lover, whose turn to the nunnery broke Sei's heart.
Voiced by: Rino
Known as "Rosa Canina", Shizuka was the star singer of Lillian's choir. She has taken interest in Sei, but eventually also towards Shimako.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her longing for Sei's love.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Gayngst: Her focus chapter (the Bonus Chapter of Volume 19 of the light novels) revolves around her coming to terms with the fact that she will never have the chance to confess to Sei, thus explaining her bold move by running for the Yamayurikai Council Elections just for the one shot of being noticed by Sei.
- Jerkass Façade: Keeps rejecting all prospective sœurs (including her Club President), knowing that either way she'd be leaving for Italy soon.
- Put on a Bus: Left in her second year to further pursue her singing career in Italy, though she'd contact Shimako every now and then.
Voiced by: Yuki Masuda
Sachiko's classmate with a borderline obsessive affection for her.
Schoolmates Within Yumi's Year
Yumi's friend, a staff member of "Lillian Kawaraban" and Minako's petite sœur.
Voiced by: Rina Sato
(Japanese) and Emily Woo Zeller (English, Animax)
Another of Yumi's peers and star of the Photography Club who sidelines at "Lillian Kawaraban". Unlike most characters, she's a fiercely independent girl who refuses to be locked into any sœur.
- Companion Cube: Rarely seen without her camera on hand.
- Hot Scoop
- Straight Man: Serves as Yumi's emotional support among her peers, and tends to defuse tensions within the Yamayurikai with a shot of her camera.
Yumi's classmate and a tennis player.
Member of the kendo club and Rei's admirer.
Schoolmates Within Touko's Year
A quiet, aloof freshman and a Yumi fangirl, who doesn't like it whenever the latter hangs around with males.
- Berserk Button: The idea of Yumi hanging around with men.
- Broken Pedestal: Doesn't take well the fact that Yumi hangs around with males, thinking that her "pure" sempai has been "possessed" by another entity. In the end, Yumi helps repair their broken friendship, and Kanako begins to respect her once more, Warts and All.
- Does Not Like Men: To a possibly greater extent than Sachiko.
- Freudian Excuse: Why does she hate men? Her own father had an affair and a baby with her former sempai, Yuuko. In the end, though she eventually reconciles with Yuuko.
- Hero-Worshipper: Towards Yumi.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Played for Laughs in the Omake.
- Loony Fan: A minor example, in that Yumi feels pressured whenever she has to entertain Kanako.
- No Social Skills: Other than fangirling over Yumi, which made the latter initially unaware of Kanako's issues.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Ultimately fell short of Yumi's choice.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Yandere: The sight of Yumi hanging out with men riles her up, not minding for once that Yumi is exceptionally nice to everyone, female or male. She has a justifiable reason for it, though, and in the end learns to move out of this tendency.
A member of the Photography Club who has come to admire the Yamayurikai and intends to join them.
Hanadera Boys' High School
Sachiko's fiance and student council president of Hanadera, Lillian's Buddhist-oriented, all-male counterpart.
- Arranged Marriage: With Sachiko, though they eventually terminate it out of recognition for each other's differing romantic attention.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Ultimately subverted, in that it is revealed that he does care for his fiancee in his own way.
- Cool Car: Owns a Maserati 3200 GT.
- Drives Like Crazy
- Grumpy Bear
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he tends to be very mean-spirited he nevertheless cares for Sachiko in his own, quiet way, shows gratitude to Yumi for helping his fiancee with her problems, and once even warned Touko of further alienating any prospective friend should she keep up her Jerkass Façade.
- Straight Gay: And heavily implied to have a crush on Yumi's younger brother, Yuuki.
Yumi's younger brother who was born within the year. After Kashiwagi's graduation, he becomes Hanadera's Student Council President.