open/close all folders
The heroine of the story. Seika High's first female president, and is determined to turn it into a girl-friendly school. Her goal is supported by her dislike of men
, which stems from her experience of her father walking out on their family
, leaving them with a large debt which she tries to work off by being forced to take a part-time job at a Maid Cafe
- The Ace: She's very competent at nearly everything she does. Inversely, Usui tends to be better than her at almost everything (they're about equal in badassitude).
- Action Girl
- Attempted Rape: Had this pulled on her at least three times during the manga. In two cases Usui intervenes; in another, she curbstomps her assailants all by herself.
- Badass: The only thing she's equal to Takumi in.
- Battle Aura
- Battle Couple
- Betty and Veronica: Hinata and Takumi.
- Bifauxnen: Not normally, but she uses it to her advantage when entering a butler competition, and she dresses up as one in episode 7.
- Brainy Brunette
- Breaking the Bonds: In episode 5, after being kidnapped by stalkers and had her hands handcuffed behind her back she snaps out of them after they imply she's weak and submissive.
- Brown Eyes: The anime makes them look golden-brown.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: To Takumi in the final episode.
- Death Glare/Nightmare Face: A lot of the time, particularly when she's angry, but it's Played for Laughs.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Basically the series revolves around her warming up to the people around her, including Usui.
- Does Not Like Men: Stemming from when her father left their family with a huge debt. Most of the boys at her school don't exactly inspire trust.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Not that she cares, so long as it keeps the guys/girls in line.
- Dominatrix: While subverted, quite a few characters seem to think of her as a sadist. When two of her assailants turn out to be masochists who wanted her to punish them, she's understandably creeped out.
- Drunk Personality Change: When Kanou hypnotizes her to be drunk, she is a lot more flirty and affectionate towards Usui.
- Dude Magnet: Has eight named romantically interested in her and at least one girl. If she puts any effort into it, there are even more.
- Effortless Amazonian Lift: She frequently carries Takumi around, much to his annoyance. In one episode, she crossdresses to enter a competition for a Butler Cafe; the first challenge is a race in which one partner must carry the other piggyback the whole way. Most of the other (male) competitors can't finish the course; Misaki comes in second.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Other girls certainly enjoy ogling over her skills or looks (including the entire Maid Latte staff and her two friends). One even says she has a "prince-type character", and her Bifauxnen looks attract tons of chicks in episode 7. Helps that she looks great as a boy.
- First Kiss: Props to Takumi for not wasting time and planting one on Misaki in the sixth episode!
- Freudian Excuse: Her father left her family during their financial struggle and had never returned home. This, along with her observations on the boys at school, led to her to not liking men.
- Gender-Blender Name: Misaki is a unisex name.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Whenever she's pissed at the guys.
- Go-Getter Girl
- Happily Married: Marries Takumi in the end.
- Hero Stole My Bike: Misaki borrowed Yukimura's bicycle once. She kept her word about returning it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lethal Chef: She claims that if someone teaches her, she can cook rather well. We mostly haven't seen it; her attempts at riceballs turned out round, perfectly smooth, and hard as rock, and other efforts range from "mangled" to "yuck."
- Love Triangle: Between her, Takumi, and Hinata. Unfortunately for Hinata, the result isn't really in question.
- Meido: It's even in the title!
- Ms. Fanservice: Gets into a couple of deliciously exploitable situations, like the towel scene and a sexier maid outfit in episode 8.
- Ninja Maid: Misaki knows aikido.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Misaki tried to disguise herself and enter the all-you-can-eat contest at Maid Latte in order to help Erika; and everyone who knew her basically recognized her immediately. Even Hinata got suspicious by the end of it.
- Plucky Girl
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Takumi's blue.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic Girl to Takumi's Savvy Guy. Energetic, only in the Hot-Blooded sense.
- Straw Feminist: Subverted. She looks like one at first, but it's shown that her sense of justice is not limited to the girls. A lot of the boys just tend to be delinquents for no apparent reason and don't exactly inspire confidence.
- Student Council President: It's even in the title! Subverted in last arc when Kanou is elected.
- Team Mom / Team Dad: For the whole school, as discussed amongst some of the boys in episode 9.
- This Is Unforgivable!: She really despises her father for leaving them.
- Tomboy: Very much so. To the point where it's like she's the only Tomboy in the show.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: She may be a loud and commanding class president, but she still allows herself to wear dresses and likes gentlemanly guys.
- Tsundere: And a very, very blatant Type A at that, although she's showing some signs of mellowing into a Type B.
- Notably, she fits the traditional description of a Tsundere - she warms up to Usui after initially hating him.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Is gorgeous in a maid outfit.
- Ship Tease: With Takumi.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Suzuna.
- Slasher Smile: Usually when someone ticks her off.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: When entering the butler competition, as well as the time she had to help Erika avoid a bad situation with a Stalker with a Crush customer. Basically, she gets made over Visual Kei-style into "Bisanki-kun" and has to enter a dessert eating contest.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's afraid of ghosts.
- Will They or Won't They?: Her and Takumi.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A in her maid outfit. Bordered into Grade S when she sported twin tails as part of the cafe's special event
Too perfect to be human!
One of the most popular boys at Seika High, Usui usually aloof about his surroundings. After he discovers Misaki in a maid uniform after school, he promises to keep her secret
and as a result ends up very protective of her. It's eventually revealed that he is one quarter British, and that he has an older half-brother named Gerard- but he is an illegitimate child and that he is on bad terms with Gerard and the rest of the Walker family.
- Above the Influence: When a drunken Misaki tries to seduce him.
- The Ace: Textbook example.
- Battle Couple
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Hinata's Betty.
- Big Damn Heroes: At times, especially when Tora Igarashi attempts to rape Misaki. In the anime, he also gets to come to the rescue when Misaki is ambushed at Maid Latte after closing by a pair of stalkers; he kicks a stun gun out of one guy's hand while Misaki handles the other one. It's subverted in the manga, however: he tries, but Misaki curbstomps both of them before he manages to do more than break in a window, and he only gets to help with the cleanup.
- The anime may have it the same as the manga, as it's not clear who kicks the stun gun seeing as Misaki and Usui both have black shoes and pants on at the time.
- Bishōnen: When he makes the effort.
- But Not Too Foreign: Takumi is revealed to be this. Being the illegitimate child of an Englishwoman accounts for his blonde hair. His birth name is revealed to be Takumi Walker, but due to his unfavorable status within the family he abandoned the name at a young age and was later adopted into the Usui household.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Hardly ever seems to take dangerous situations seriously.
- Chick Magnet
- Chivalrous Pervert: Towards Misaki, at least; he shows no interest in any other girls.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He hasn't lost a single competition he's entered. Any competition. Not even the time he had a broken arm.
- Deadpan Snarker: His specialty.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He even provides the page picture!
- Expy: He's a more aloof version of Tamaki Suou from Ouran High School Host Club. Both are handsome, popular, light-haired heroic bastards who are the child of a Caucasian woman and Japanese father. They also both wind up with Single-Target Sexuality for a brilliant student leading a double life involving getting dressed up. They both are also extremely skilled with a stringed instrument.
- Fanservice: Just look at that first ending.
- Generation Xerox: In context, his mother fell in love with his Japanese father, a butler.
- Gratuitous English: Takumi speaks very good English. In manga scanlations, they Keep It Foreign by having him speak French instead.
- Green Eyes: Shares this trope with his older brother.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He reacts this way towards Misaki's closeness to Hinata (though it's because of their childhood friend status).
- Happily Married: Marries Misaki in the end.
- Heroic Bastard
- Last Name Basis: Him and Misaki, though he also calls her "Misa-chan" to tease her about Maid Latte.
- However, in one of the latest chapters, they begin to refer to each other by first name.
- Made of Iron: Proved to be almost unkillable on several occasions (jumping off the school's roof into the swimming pool to retrieve a photograph and surviving with only moderate injuries, for one).
- Mr. Fanservice
- No Sense of Personal Space: Just ask Misaki.
- Not So Stoic: He's actually quite childish, prone to jealousy, and exhibits possessive tendencies underneath the typical cool-guy exterior. It's these slowly-revealed qualities that provide him with some truly stellar Character Development and Hidden Depths. Plus, the childish attributes almost always prove to be adorably endearing.
- In the Beach Episode he went so far as to kiss Misaki on the back and claim it left a visible mark to make her too embarrassed to run around in a bikini. He also competed against her and Aoi in the volleyball tournament because he didn't want her to be the "beach queen".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Misaki's red.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Misaki's Energetic Girl.
- Secret Keeper
- Shirtless Scene
- Single-Target Sexuality: Misaki is the only girl (and, indeed, the only person) he demonstrates any kind of interest in.
- Smart People Play Chess
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Misaki. Some instances are Played for Laughs, though.
- The Stoic: How the entire school sees him.
- Stoic Spectacles: Wears glasses at home.
- Sue Donym: "Usui Janai"/"Not Usui". Aaaand it works.
- Supreme Chef
- Uptown Guy: Takumi is a rich boy and Misaki is a poor girl working at a maid cafe.
Meet the other guy close to Misaki's heart.
Voiced by: Atsushi Abe
(Japanese), Santry Rush (English)
Misaki's childhood friend, who came to the city just to find her. As children, Misaki kept on protecting him from bullies who picked on him for his fat figure. By the time he came back to the city from living with his grandparents in the country, he'd slimmed down from eating plenty of his grandparents' vegetables. He respects Usui and sees him as a Worthy Opponent
for Misaki's affections. It's noted that he physically resembles Misaki's father.
The Three Idiots (Naoya "Shiroyan" Shirakawa, Ikuto "Ikkun" Sarashina, and Ryuunosuke "Kurotatsu" Kurosaki)
From left to right: Shiroyan, Ikkun, and Kurotatsu
Shiroyan voiced by:
Mitsuhiro Ichiki (anime), Hiroyuki Yoshino
(drama CD) (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
Ikkun voiced by:
Takuma Terashima (anime), Tetsuya Kakihara
(drama CD) (Japanese), Houston Hayes (English)
Three boys at Seika who initially resented Misaki's forceful methods of changing it. When they find out Misaki's job, however, they are instantly charmed and vow to keep her secret. They are now regulars at Maid Latte. Shiroyan and Kurotatsu were in middle school together and used to be delinquents.
Adorable, ain't she?
One of Misaki's best friends, who looks to Misaki for protection against the boys. She has a tendency to fall in love without really knowing what the person is like. She's apparently rejected the captain of the rugby team approximately one hundred times.
Meet the sanest member of the cast.
Another one of Misaki's best friends, and, like her, is protective of Sakura. She is very intelligent and good in math, but dislikes physical activities. She is a member of the school's flower arranging club. Like Sakura, she does not know about Misaki's parttime job. According to Sakura, she has an older brother studying in university and a younger sister in junior high who look a lot like her.
- Berserk Button: Being dragged into stressful social situations by her friends (usually Sakura) gets her really pissed off, leading to almost drill sergeant-like scolding that intimidates both Sakura and Misaki.
- DO NOT INSULT THE GLASSES
- Curtains Match the Window
- Good with Numbers
- Only Sane Man: Occasionally.
- Sexy Spectacles Fetish: appropriately enough, she was happily flirting with a guy with glasses during a class trip. When she bumps into him later without his glasses, however, she initially doesn't recognize him and becomes indifferent, claiming that "the glasses make up 80% of him."
- The Smart Girl
- The Stoic
- Those Two Girls: With Sakura.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Shizuko isn't exactly a tomboy, but fits the role in her friendship with Sakura, being much more plain, prosaic, and uninterested in things like bands and dating.
Sakura's male counterpart in the "adorable" department.
The vice president of Seika High's student council, Yukimura is initially terrified of Misaki, but later on gets to see her kind, caring side and gets to be on fairly close terms with her and Usui. He enjoys administrative work, but isn't a very big fan of physical activities. He has a little sister named Ruri, who initially sees him as "sissy" and whom he tries hard to impress.
Just...ignore the bunny ears.
A withdrawn male student who is initially against Misaki as the student council president because of her aspirations of increasing the female population of Seika High. In order to sabotage her presidency, Kanou tries to hypnotize Misaki, Usui, and the student council into ruining Misakiís reputation. It is revealed that his gynophobic attitude comes from his mother abandoning his family when he was young and his father warning him to be wary of women. After being forced to work with girls by Misaki as punishment, he starts to get over his gynophobia and later becomes one of the president's allies.
A mysterious, beautiful teacher who transferred to Seika. At first, Misaki seemed to view her as a rival for Usui's affections but it's eventually revealed that she is, in fact in love with Misaki after seeing her strength and independence (it should be noted, though, that she's fallen in love many times before). She came to Seika to try to get Usui to transfer to Miyabigaoka under Igarashi Tora's orders.
She has a fiance named Shinji.
Does this look thirty to you?
Maid Latte's cheerful manager, Satsuki is a kind, perceptive woman who adores Usui and finds Misaki cute. She has an unnamed older brother (Aoi's father) and a younger sister named Nagisa. She has a penchant for attending to different Fetishes
, which include glasses
, cat ears
, and policewomen
Bet you didn't see that coming.
Satsuki's nephew, the son of her older brother. Ikuto recognizes "her" as a famous internet idol when "she" comes to Maid Latte for a visit. "She" becomes infatuated with Usui, but Misaki sees through the act and reveals Aoi to be male. He tends to be short-tempered and impatient, and is critical of Misaki's fashion tastes. His parents apparently disapprove of his crossdressing.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: To Takumi.
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Fashionista: Male example.
- Gender-Blender Name: It really helps when he crossdresses.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Was not pleased upon realizing the more or less almost Relationship Upgrade between Misaki and Usui, but he later realizes he's happy instead of jealous at seeing Misaki with Takumi because it makes her look cuter, and whenever Misaki looks cute, it makes Aoi happy.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In spite of Aoi's crush on Misaki, he likes it when Misaki is "lovey-dovey" with Usui because it makes her cuter, and Aoi likes it when Misaki looks cute.
- Larynx Dissonance: His voice is cracking much to his dismay.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: With Misaki
- Matchmaker Crush: Has no designs on Misaki himself, but recently realized he likes her.
- Ojou Ringlets: When crossdressing.
- Pair the Spares: Is apparently dating Honoka in the Distant Finale.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Takumi/Misaki.
- Spoiled Brat: He can come off as this, especially in the beginning.
- Tsundere: Towards Misaki and the three idiots. Obviously he hates them and just wants to manipulate them. Or something. Riiiiight. To his credit, upon figuring out that he actually liked her he admitted it outright almost immediately and then continued on with the conversation.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Who knew that sweet, cute internet idol Aoi was really a guy?
- Wholesome Crossdresser
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
You wouldn't like her when she's angry.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi
(Japanese), Jennifer Gilbert (English)
An employee at Maid Latte. She possesses a rather maniacal side to her, and is annoyed at Misaki's resistance to her job. She makes a living from part-time work and does not have a full-time job. She takes working at Maid Latte very seriously, which causes friction between her and Misaki over the fact that Misaki is ashamed of working there.
Boyish enough to be mistaken for a real boy.
Voiced by: Kana Ueda
(Japanese), Juliet Simmons (English)
Another of the employees at Maid Latte. Like Honoka, she makes a living from part-time work.
The sexiest member of the cafe.
Voiced by: Mariya Ise
(Japanese), Kasi Hollowell (English)
Another of the employees at Maid Latte. She views Misaki as strong and independent and sometimes finds it hard to believe that Misaki is younger than her. Is also proud of her... assets.
Miyabigaoka High School
Gentleman, my foot!
Student council president of the high-class and expensive Miyabigaoka Academy. He initially presents himself as a gentleman who admires Misaki's reforms at Seika and offers her a scholarship to Miyabigaoka, but it's quickly revealed that he's a lecherous young man who's used to being able to manipulate people thanks to his wealth and his family's high social status. He also seems to be familiar with Usui's background. Maria Miyazono is an acquaintance of his, and he'd hired her to come to Seika to lure Usui to Miyabigaoka
Voiced by: Tomoaki Maeno (Japanese), Jack Ivy (English)
The vice president at Miyabigaoka High.
One of Takumi's
new classmates, who was told to befriend him.
Umekouji's older brother, who's also trying to befriend Takumi
The Kaon siblings' childhood friend.
Another student who's trying to befriend Takumi
. He is obsessed with fashion and is Lin's fiance.
Lin Yi Hua
Another student who's trying to befriend Takumi
. She is also Arashiyama's fiance.
A young man who has Sakura's affections. Is rather selfish and rude, and Misaki dislikes him for those reasons.
Shou, Kou, and Yuuji William Adam
The other members of Yumemichi. Shou is the guitarist, Kou is the bassist, and Yuuji plays drums. They are notably nicer than Kuuga is.
Misaki's sickly mother who tries her best to support her two daughters.
Misaki's younger sister.
Sakuya Ayuzawa Misaki and Suzuna's Father
Usui's British older half-brother, who looks like an older, more polished version of him.
Patricia WalkerTakumi and Gerard's mother.
Yukimura's younger sister, who views Usui as a "prince" and doesn't see her own brother as manly at all.
Later, though, she realizes that Usui's "princess" isn't her, and grows to accept Yukimura as her brother.
Satsuki's younger sister and Aoi's aunt. She's very hard on Aoi's crossdressing because her older brother (Aoi's father) disapproves of it. Her shop Ocean House isn't getting as many customers as she would like, so naturally the Maid Latte girls (+Usui) head to it to help, thus the Beach Episode