open/close all folders
GEM: Coral, Azure Sky Sapphire
Master: Mashiro Blanc de WindbloomThe focal character of the main series. Arika is a traveler from the faraway nation of Galelia, who arrived in the kingdom of Windbloom to enroll at Garderobe Academy for clues to the whereabouts of her Missing Mom. She was given the "Azure Sky Sapphire" Gem, which becomes the key to realizing her dream of becoming an Otome. Arika is the daughter of Lena Sayers, the previous Azure Sky Sapphire and Otome to the previous king of Windbloom.
- 10-Minute Retirement: While dealing with the emotional strain of Erstin's death, she declares she no longer wants to be an Otome and runs off, but decides to return after she talks with Mashiro and they escape from a desert monster together.
- All-Loving Heroine
- Anguished Declaration of Love
- Animal Motifs: Is nicknamed "Arinko-chan"/"Antsy" by Sergey (and in Zwei, Mahya) because her Girlish Pigtails resemble antennae, and because the "ari" in her name means "ant" in Japanese."I'm not an ant! I'm Arika!"
- Battle Butler: All Meister Otome are, but Arika in particular is Mashiro's.
- Betty and Veronica: Betty to Nina's Veronica.
- BFS: The Sword of Akatsuki in Materialize Zwei.
- Blithe Spirit
- Break the Cutie: In a particularly cruel example, resulting in a Heroic B.S.O.D. and 10-Minute Retirement.
- Celibate Heroine: After they end up on opposite sides, Arika gives up on pursuing Sergay and commits herself to being an Otome.
- Character Exaggeration - Is more idiotic in the manga.
- Chaste Hero: Knows hardly anything about love despite developing feelings for Sergay.
- Country Mouse: Quite unfamiliar with many aspects of city life.
- Custom Uniform: Hers has pink trim.
- Dirty Old Man: In some of the extras.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In the last scene of Mai-HiME's final episode, she runs on-screen from the left as Mai, Mikoto and Natsuki are walking away, then looks at the screen for a few seconds before running off again.
- Empowered Badass Normal: She was already faster than Nina, a student Otome, in the first episode, and fought against a Slave before she manifested any powers whatsoever. Then she got nanomachines.
- Expressive Hair: Her hair does odd stuff like twisting into hearts.
- Expy: Arika is friendly like Mai, perky like Mikoto, and also reminds Miyu of Alyssa.
- Fanservice Pack: See above.
- Fiery Redhead
- Final First Hug: With her mother when she destroys Schwartz's Founder tank.
- First-Name Basis: Speaks completely informally from everyone to her upperclassmen to the queen.
- Friend to All Living Things: Notable in episode 3, when she's sitting along in a forest and Sergey shows up.
- Gainaxing: Especially obvious in Mai-Otome Zwei.
- Generation Xerox: It turns out that she's most like her mother's charge, Sifr, in terms of personality and her dream of being an Otome. Her rivalry with Nina is noted as being similar to Shizuru and Haruka's rivalry, and Mai and Natsuki's, although it has more tragic results than either.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Somewhere around Episode 15, she temporarily stops being her usual genki self.
- Honor Before Reason
- Idiot Heroine: Starts this way.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: The final battle after Nina is possessed by the Harmonium.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: The Azure Sky Sapphire's Zwei Mode.
- In the Blood: Though her natural potential isn't nearly as absurd as her mother's.
- Innocently Insensitive: To Miya, regarding Miya's discovery that her and her best friend's home countries are at the brink of war. This likely makes it easier for Tomoe to manipulate Miya into setting up Arika for Attempted Rape.
- Jumped at the Call: After seeing Shizuru in action in the first episode, Arika makes her decision to join Garderobe.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": She was searching for the academy anyway, but she wanted to become an Otome after watching Shizuru fight.
- The McCoy
- Meaningful Name: Written in kanji, her last name means "dream princess."
- Naïve Newcomer: She has no idea that Otome are weapons of mass destruction. She's just there for the pretty and because they look cool.
- New Transfer Student
- Odd Couple: First with Nina, and then with Mashiro after the former joins the Dark Side.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: The Azure Sky Sapphire pendant.
- Parental Abandonment: Arika's mother is missing and presumed dead. In episode 24, the latter turns out to be true. Her father is not mentioned.
- Plucky Girl
- Possession Implies Mastery - It's not instant, but she's able to figure out how to use the Coral Robe's various abilities during her first Materialization.
- The Power of Friendship: A firm believer in this. Nina notes that her relationship with Mashiro is closer to being friends than master and Otome, and their getting along enables Arika to use Materialize Zwei.
- Precocious Crush: On Sergey, but she eventually gets over it.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes
- Red Herring: A reveal says that she's the real lost princess of Windblum, though she quickly assumes that to be a mistake. Turns out she was right.
- Raised by Grandparents: Her maternal grandmother raised her until she died a few months prior to the start of the series.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Nina's (and later Mashiro's) Blue Oni
- Super Mode: Materialize Zwei, which unlocks the full potential of the Azure Sky Sapphire.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Says this when Tomoe makes fun of Erstin's death.
- The Watson: At the start of the series, she knows almost as little about Otomes as the viewer does.
- What Would X Do?: Arika is constantly quoting advice from her late grandmother.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Doesn't like the idea that the Otome might have to fight against their friends, and wants to prevent war from happening.
- Zettai Ryouiki
GEM: Coral, Ultimate Black Diamond, Neptune Emerald / (manga) Azure Sky Sapphire, Black Smoke Chrysoberyl
Master: Nagi Dai Artài, Mashiro Blanc de Windbloom (in Zwei and the manga)Nina is the top-ranked Coral student at Garderobe Academy, a training ground for Otome candidates. She is not happy with Arika's sudden arrival, but learns to put up with her for the time being. Nina is the adoptive daughter of Major Sergay Wáng of Artài (anime only; in the manga, the two are not related). In truth, Nina is the real long-missing Princess Mashiro of Windbloom, though she doesn't know.
- Achilles in His Tent: In Zwei.
- Action Duo: With Arika in Mai-Otome Zwei.
- Action Survivor: In Zwei, doesn't have access to her Robe for much of her screen time, leaving her mostly helpless when exploring the ruins with Nao.
- Anguished Declaration of Love
- The Atoner: In Zwei, wants to make up for what she did while working for Nagi.
- Betty and Veronica: Veronica to Arika's Betty.
- Bifurcated Weapon: After Nina's Face–Heel Turn, she gets a pair of sai daggers that can combine to form a lance as big as the one Arika uses.
- Break the Cutie
- Broken Bird - By the end. She is bearing the weight of her guilt over killing Erstin and her other deeds in Nagi's service, and her father Sergay is on the brink of death, kept alive only by her operating the Harmonium.
- Celibate Hero
- Child Soldier: She met Sergay when he and his squad took out a rebel cell in Artài that was training children to be terrorists.
- Chinese Girl: Artai is the Fantasy Counterpart Culture to China, and in her locket photo, she is seen wearing a qipao.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Slightly inverted in that she tries to hide it behind stoicism.
- Daddy's Girl: Initially seems like a straightforward example of a girl who wants to please her father, but as time goes by, it's revealed that there's quite a bit more to it, as she is in love with him.
- Dark Is Evil: Her Ultimate Black Diamond, according to the character guide, is representative of her “extreme and mostly selfish” love for Sergay, which is antithetical to the Otomes' selfless devotion to their masters.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Death Glare: To anyone female Daddy is nice to.
- Defeat Means Friendship: She and Arika hadn't quite reached out-and-out friendship in their relationship before Nina's Face–Heel Turn.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- The Dragon: To Nagi.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Like Arika, she shows up periodically as one of Mai's classmates in Mai-HiME, but has no speaking lines.
- Establishing Character Moment: Being mortified at accidentally showing her father her panties, showcasing the one weakness in her stoic demeanor.
- Expository Hairstyle Change - Wears her hair down in Zwei until coming out of retirement.
- Evil Costume Switch: Gets a new Meister Robe after she becomes Nagi's Otome, and a new non-combat uniform.
- Expy: Nina's role in the story is similar to that of Natsuki (except for the whole Love Makes You Evil deal.)
- Face–Heel Turn: Followed by a Heel–Face Turn in Zwei
- Fallen Heroine: She tried so hard, and fell so far...so, so far.
- Fallen Princess: The real Princess Mashiro and the rightful heir to Windbloom.
- For Want of a Nail: In the manga, she is not Sergay's daughter, and thus consistently remains loyal to the heroes. It helps that Nagi is not the main antagonist this time.
- Good Costume Switch: In Zwei.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Grumpy Bear
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: The final battle.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope - Some of the stuff she does for Nagi out of love for Sergay is...yeah.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Does this to Arika in their first fight, but without an energy blast.
- Love Makes You Evil: (anime) The character in question is her (adoptive) father, Sergay. Yup...
- Love Martyr
- Making a Splash: Her new GEM's ability in Zwei.
- Odd Couple: With Arika.
- The Ojou: Of the Wáng family.
- One-Winged Angel: In the final battle with Arika, transforms and loses control of herself.
- Paint It Black: Nina's post-Face–Heel Turn uniform looks exactly like her old one, except with a darker color scheme. Her Transformation Sequence even shows a black shadow, signifying her new "evil" status.
- Parental Abandonment: Nina is an orphan Sergay adopted who is the daughter of the previous Queen and King of Windbloom.
- Parental Incest: What she'd like to have happen. It almost does toward the end of the series, but Sergay doesn't go through with it.
- Perpetual Frowner: To the point where she looks hilariously constipated half the time.
- Person of Mass Destruction: When she uses the Harmonium. Hoo boy.
- Precocious Crush: On her (adopted) father. Major Squick.
- The Quiet One: And you know what they say...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Arika's Red.
- The Rival: Romantically and academically, to Arika.
- Rival Turned Evil
- Royal Blood: Actually the real Princess Mashiro.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: In general.
- Tsundere: Towards Arika
- Tsurime Eyes
- The Unfettered
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Girl: Strives for Sergay's approval, including acknowledging her as an adult.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has natural blue hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Mashiro Blanc de Windbloom
Otome: Arika Yumemiya, Nina WángThe princess (soon queen) of the Kingdom of Windbloom. At first, Mashiro is rebellious and quite unenthusiastic about the responsibilities of her job, and may not actually be the real heir to the kingdom, if rumors are to be believed. Through a series of (unfortunate?) events, she becomes Arika's Master.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Very early on, in episode three.
- Ascended Extra: Mashiro in Mai-HiME was merely a supporting character and the school director. Now she's a princess and one of the main three.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: In Zwei, is able to fly with Arika over the planet despite not even being Materialized, though it's possible that Arika had something to do with it.
- Berserk Button: Arika finds out that referring to her as a "fake princess" is one.
- Break the Cutie: As part of her Character Development.
- Break the Haughty: Her character arc in a nutshell.
- Character Development: Begins the series as a bratty princess, then has her throne snatched out from under her, and is forced to rebuild her reputation from the ground up, a job she later takes on with pride.
- Cross-Popping Veins: Featured image on the page, even.
- Distressed Damsel
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Expy: Of Mai-HiME's Mashiro Kazahana.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Prior to her character development, while not villainous a example, her growing up a spoiled princess has led to doing little more than abuse her power. The fact that she was hated by everyone but her maid Aoi and her incompetent reign allowed Nagi to pull off his plan (which led to her people hating her even more) leads to her getting out of this.
- Gratuitous French: In her name.
- Green Eyes
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Briefly, after she realizes just how much her people hate her when they kill Aoi, her caretaker, right in front of her out of hatred for the queen. Don't worry, Aoi Gets Better.
- Identical Grandson: If the opening scene of Mai-Otome Zwei is right, Mashiro looks exactly like the queen of Windbloom from the time Fumi became the first Otome. It's thus possible that those who passed her off as the real princess did so while invoking this trope.!
- King Incognito: Starting with her first appearance. Apparently she runs around Windbloom all the time in commoner's clothes and no one even notices she's the queen.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Up until Arika's arrival
- Meaningful Name: Mashiro Blanc de Windbloom is an Expy of Mashiro Kazehana from Mai-HiME. Kazehana literally means "wind bloom."
- Named After Somebody Famous: Named after the first Otome, Fumi's, GEM, the Pure White Diamond (Mashiro Kongouseki).
- Noble Fugitive: After the Mood Whiplash Wham Episode.
- Odd Couple: With Arika.
- The Ojou: And also Non-Royal Princess...which is the same trope, really.
- Parental Abandonment: Both the previous king and queen were killed fourteen years ago. Since she's really just a random baby the home secretary found and claimed was Princess Mashiro, she's never known her real parents, either.
- Pride Before a Fall
- Rebellious Princess
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Arika's red.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: Particularly her signet ring.
- Royal Brat: Mashiro before...
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Mashiro after.
- Tsundere: Mainly toward Arika, often outwardly denying feelings of concern for her.
- Two-Act Structure: Mashiro's character description can be pretty neatly divided into "pre-Character Development" and "post-Character Development."
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!
Garderobe Academy Students
First-year students at Garderobe Academy, Coral Otome all fight using the same Coral Robe. Two are assigned as room attendants to second-year Pearls, who mentor them while they do chores. Only half of all Corals advance to their second year.
GEM: Coral, (manga) Rainbow Cloud Rhodonite
Master: Fumi Himeno (manga) Mashiro Blanc de Windbloom
Home country: An NamErstin is one of Arika and Nina's friends and roommates on campus. She is unusually gentle and meek, and tries not to hurt anyone. Unfortunately for her, Erstin belongs to a family who follows the Schwarz (no, not that Schwarz), and is turned against the ones she loves, resulting in her death in the anime.
- Blackmail: In the manga, it's implied she did this, as it's noted that she had some leverage to use on Natsuki when negotiating to move back into Nina's room, which happens immediately after she learns Manshiro is male.
- Does Not Like Men: In the manga, to the point of panic attacks.
- Fighting Your Friend: In the manga, is manipulated into fighting against Arika in a Butou match.
- Grasp the Sun: In her dying moments
- Heroic Sacrifice: Anime-only. Block's Nina's attack with her slave to stop her from attacking Arika (despite the fact that Schwarz is on Nagi's side), costing her her life (manga) Tries to do this with a grenade to stop Dark Hime Natsuki, but fails and survives.
- In-Series Nickname: "Ers" to most of her friends.
- The Mole: An unwitting one, but it traumatizes her a lot, and she ends up paying the price for it.
- Meaningful Name: Here full name can be romanized as "Elstin Ho", an anagram of "Holstein", a breed of cow, making her making her name a pun of her large breast size.
- Personal Effects Reveal: She left behind a letter for Arika and Nina, which the latter reads after Erstin's death.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Manga!Erstin's crush on Nina is made obvious from the very start. May also apply to her anime incarnation, depending on one's interpretation of her last letter to Nina. She also acts this way among her other schoolmates, and in the sound dramas, admits to having a crush on her Onee-sama Akane, while under the influence of a mushroom that removes her inhibitions.
- Spared by the Adaptation: In the manga, she survives and becomes one of Mashiro's Otome
- Taking the Bullet: She pushes Nina and Arika out of the way of a dropped acid flask, but gets her leg splashed for her trouble.
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home country: AriesIrina is the fourth member of Arika's initial Four-Girl Ensemble, and she is fond of engineering and scientific endeavors. She was invited to Garderobe on a scholarship from her home country of Aries. Her closest friends on campus are Erstin and Professor Youko.
- Expy: Irina looks a bit like Yukino, who appears in this series as her home country's president.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Locked Out of the Loop: Late in the anime, during the occupation of Windbloom, she asks Nina what happened to Arika and Erstin, but gets no response.
- Playful Hacker: She exhibits this trait when reprogramming the Fumi System during the Otome war near the end of the series.
- Teen Genius
GEM: Coral, Cursed Obsidian
Master: Fumi Himeno, Lena Sayers
Home Country: WindbloomTomoe is the second-ranked Coral student in Garderobe Academy. Unlike her fellow Otome peers, she is willing to use every dirty trick in the book to maintain her status, and makes it clear on a few occasions that she dislikes everybody (with one exception, and only one: Shizuru, whom she's had a crush on since she was a youngster). After Schwarz assumes control over the school, she is contracted into joining Nagi's special Valkyrie squadron.
- Anime Hair: Long hair on her right and short on her left.
- Bait the Dog: While her nasty true personality is well-known enough not to be considered a spoiler, she initially comes off as a friendly, polite and talented Coral.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She puts on a polite front when people other than Arika and Miya are around, and even sticks up for Arika on a few points (including during her scheme to frame Arika for selling her uniform) in order to maintain it.
- Blatant Lies: Virtually any scene in which she acts nice to Arika, or anyone else. One scene that sticks out is late in the series, after making some comments mocking Nina's relationship with Sergay, Nina loses her temper and slaps Tomoe hard. Tomoe then claims to Shizuru that she did nothing to deserve this treatment.
- Chewing the Scenery: Normally, Tomoe speaks in a calm manner, but does a lot more shouting after her defection and subsequent reunion with Arika.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She hates Arika just for getting attention from Shizuru even though it wasn't even that much
- Dark Chick
- Dark Is Evil: Her Cursed Obsidian GEM
- Dark Magical Girl
- Demoted to Extra: In the manga, only appears a few times alongside other generic students, and is not evil.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Subtlety is not one of Tomoe's strong points, but yet only Chie and Shizuru are aware of her true motives.
- Evil Costume Switch: Following the Schwarz invasion, Tomoe ditches her Coral Robe for a suit of transforming all-black fighter-jet armor, complete with Spikes of Villainy and a mean spear.
- Expy: Essentially a more villainous version of Shizuru from the original series.
- It's All About Me: Her only motive is possessing Shizuru and hates so much as giving attention to anybody else. She only works with Nagi since it helps her, she doesn't care about his plans, though she has no problem with the destruction they cause either
- Karma Houdini: For all she has done, she survives her Disney Villain Death, and according to Zwei she apparently didn't get any punishment beyond having to leave the academy.
- Kick the Dog:
- Forcing Shizuru to sleep with her to guarantee Natsuki's safety. Even though being "forced" was what Shizuru wanted in the first place.
- After seeing Miya Taking the Heat for her, for which Miya ultimately gets expelled, she mutters to herself that Miya is worthless.
- Les Collaborateurs: Joins the Valkyrie squad along with a few other Corals after being promised promotion to Meister status.
- Precision F-Strike: Shortly before her defeat at Arika's hands, she screams, "Stop fucking around, you damn ant!"
- Precocious Crush: Has had a crush on Shizuru since she was a young girl and Shizuru was a Pearl Otome.
- Psycho Lesbian
- Scarpia Ultimatum: To Shizuru, by falsely claiming that Natsuki has been captured, too.
- Villainous Breakdown: After learning that Shizuru was merely pretending to have feelings for her, and seeing Chie and the Aswad intervene to protect Arika.
- Yandere: Tomoe wants Shizuru, and is perfectly willing to kill anyone whom she considers "in the way" leading her to attack and attempt to murder Arika, even though Shizuru lavishes a majority of her attention on Natsuki.
Voice Actor: Yui Itsuki (JP), Kelsey Schimpf (EN)
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home country: Lutecia RemusMiya is a member of the Coral class, along with Arika, Nina and Tomoe. She gets used by Tomoe as an accomplice for some of the former's most heinous actions, despite her own personal objections. Unable to stand up to her, she is forced out of Garderobe when Tomoe forces her to take full responsibility for attempting to have Arika raped.
- Extreme Doormat: She's basically Tomoe's punching bag, and gets Put On A Sandcruiser To Hell in episode 15, when she disappears for good.
- Love Martyr (Presumably).
- Put on a Bus to Hell: After being expelled, never appears again.
- Taking the Heat: Almost no one realizes that Tomoe was responsible for all the schemes against Arika after Miya is caught.
Voice Actor: Kimiko Koyama (JP)
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home country: Lutecia Romulus
- Those Two Guys: With Lillie.
- Yuri Fan: Yayoi squeals the loudest when imagining the sorts of things Nao would do to Arika as "punishment".
Master: Fumi Himeno
- Those Two Guys: With Yayoi.
Pearl OtomeSecond-year students at Garderobe who fight with Pearl Robes and each have two room attendants from the first years.
- Custom Uniform: The #1 Pearl's uniform has an white dress instead of a gray dress like the others.
A trio of Garderobe upperclassmen who hold the rank of Pearl Otome. They act as big-sister figures and room supervisors for some of the Corals.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: In charge of disciplining the students, although sometimes Natuski and Maria step in.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: With the exception of Shiho. Chie sympathizes with Arika for having to face being accused of selling her uniform so early in her time at Garderobe, and she and Akane help find clues to prove Arika's innocence.
GEM: Pearl, Pure Heart Malachite
Master: Fumi Himeno, Kazuya Krau-xeku
Home country: Florince
Room attendants: Erstin Ho and Irina WoodsPearl and Trias #1.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In the manga, once she finds out that Kazuya is a Schwarz agent and he’s been cheating on her, she activates her robe and takes him down.
- Cat Girl: Her Meister Robe makes her resemble one.
- Love Martyr: In the manga, takes some extreme measures out of loyalty to Kazuya, including temporarily leaving the academy when he goes missing. When she discovers the truth about him, she returns. (By contrast, her anime incarnation's love for Kazuya is requited, and he's equally willing to make sacrifices)
- Official Couple: With Kazu.
- Onee-sama: All three are called this, but Akane exemplifies the character type the most.
- Running Gag: Her and Kazu's complete inability to have sex due to all sorts of extenuating circumstances.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: Akane ditches her Meister promotion ceremony to run off with her lover, Kazuya in Episode 13. He later becomes her Master after he takes the crown of Cardair following Argos XIV's death.
- That Came Out Wrong: In her special, when she and Kazuya are about to have sex.Kazuya: I'm a little scared.Akane: Don't worry, I know lots of stuff.Kazuya: Eh?Akane': (sheepishly waving hands) No! I didn't mean it like that! I learned lots in school!Kazuya: (nervous laugh) Ah, right.
- Wall of Text: Her talking about everything she went through after Kazuya's disappearance in the manga, complete with "Fast forward" and "skip" buttons shown.
GEM: Pearl, Cursed Obsidian, Unknown
Master: Fumi Himeno, Lena Sayers, Unknown
Home country: Aries
Room attendants: Tomoe Marguerite and Lillie AdeanPearl and Trias #2.
- Ascended Extra: Unlike her Mai-HiME counterpart, she plays a role that is relevant in the main story.
- Catch a Falling Star: To a depowered Arika
- Chivalrous Pervert
- Fake Defector: Temporarily joins the Valkyrie unit to keep an eye on Tomoe, who joined of her own volition. It's believed that she may also have been spying for Aries' army, as Haruka and Yukino address her as "Major" when they meet near the end.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Chie loves to flirt with some of the girls, and is implied to be in a relationship with Aoi, the royal maid.
- Something About a Rose Chie always carries a blue rose with her.
- Taking the Bullet: Catches Arika as she falls from the air while having her Robe deactivated, and takes an attack from Tomoe meant for Arika.
GEM: Pearl, Spiral Spin Serpentine
Master: Fumi Himeno, Charles Guinel Roy d'Florince VIII
Home country: Cardair
Room attendants: Miya Clochette and Yayoi AlterPearl and Trias #3 and a member of the Cardair royal family.
- Alpha Bitch: Strongly opposes Arika coming to Garderobe, since she feels she doesn't fit the character of the school as someone without much money or the backing of a nation.
- Berserk Button: Any nicknames related to "spiraling".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: There's a significant contrast between her behavior when the faculty is watching and when they aren't. She even keeps up the facade around most of her fellow students, and keeps her "Spiraling" a closely guarded secret.
- Broke the Rating Scale: She gives Arika and Erstin's "meal" 0 points just by looking at it. When Arika tricks her into swallowing a morsel, she reduces the score to negative 10 points.
- Establishing Character Moment: Chiding some of her juniors for gossiping about Nina, then, when she's out of earshot, says she hopes it's the result of her "spiraling" Nina for refusing to be her room attendant.
- Expressive Hair
- Hair-Trigger Temper: In her specials, it's suggested that some of the disasters that happened were the result of her getting angrier and angrier, spiraling more and more each time until she spirals herself.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her "maki maki" spiral voodoo magic causes no shortage of nuisances for anyone she tries to curse (Arika is a favorite target of hers). Part of a Running Gag.
- Manipulative Bitch: In the manga, she manipulates Erstin into fighting Arika by using her being moved out of Nina's room against her, along with Mind Control.
- Plucky Comic Relief
Juliet Nao Zhang
GEM: Pearl, Break String Spinel
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home country: Artài
Room attendants: Nina Wang and Arika YumemiyaPearl Otome #4 and a native of Artài, Nao likes to keep to herself and intends to use her Garderobe education as a way to marry rich and live easy. She is later promoted to the vacant Fourth Column spot by Natsuki during Windbloom's time of crisis, and is unhappy about it. Only Shiho ever calls her by her real first name, while everyone else addresses her as "Nao".
- Aloof Ally
- Anti-Hero: Type II. Nao does good deeds in spite of her apathy toward the whole Otome thing.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She keeps her grades high enough to meet Sergay's standards, but doesn't want to become a Trias. Unfortunately for her, after Akane's departure, she has to replace her.
- Chinese Girl: Like Nina, she is from Artai, and wears a qipao as her standard outfit as Column IV.
- Cool Big Sis: She may not be frank about it, but this universe's Nao cares for her younger classmates.
- Dis Motivation: She gets good grades to meet Sergay's expectations, but stays as #4 Pearl to avoid becoming a Trias. Unfortunately for her, Akane's appointment as Florence's Otome and subsequent elopement with Kazuya means that Nao, now third among the remaining Pearls, replaces Akane on the Trias.
- Embarrassing First Name: Juliet.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Spiderman to Sara's Batman.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Meganekko: In the manga, after briefly losing her contacts.
- MRS Degree: Technically why she's at the school, to find a rich husband. Except she fails.
- Out Of Character Is Serious Business: She's actually visibly shocked when she finds out that Arika was almost raped, and is concerned about her behavior in the time afterward.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Drags attempted rapists from a boat through the city's canals.
- Power Fist: Plus Wolverine Claws. Her Meister Robe's Element is a giant claw on her right hand.
- Razor Floss
- Senpai Kohai: Nina and Arika, her room attendants and the only two underclassmen with whom she interacts on a regular basis, call her "Nao-senpai" rather than "Nao-onee-sama"
Garderobe Academy Faculty
GEM: Pure White Diamond
Master: Unknown Mashiro look-alikeThe first Otome and the founder of Garderobe, as well as its first principal and instructor. It's implied that she eventually retired, married, and had a family, because her body is used as the power source for Garderobe's Predecessor system and produces the school's GEMs.
- Evil Costume Switch: In the manga.
- Folk Hero
- Fun Size: In the manga, a miniature Fumi can activate Robes.
- Shrouded in Myth
- Sinister Scythe: In the manga, her statue holds a scythe. Her Dark Hime counterpart also wields one against the heroes.
- Stern Teacher: In the manga, tends to penalize Otomes severely for minor mistakes, making it difficult to get the "hearts" required to go up a year.
The Five Columns
Five Otome contracted to the Predecessor, Fumi Himeno, who serve Garderobe itself rather than any individual country. Their right to Materialize off Garderobe property is strictly regulated by a number of treaties and articles. At the start of the series, the position of the Fourth Column is vacant and is later filled by Nao.
Column I:: Sara Gallagher
GEM: Galactic Aquamarine
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home country: AriesAnime-only character. Hailing from Aries, Sara was the official room attendant to Mai Tokiha during her Coral days, and she, like Yukino, picks up on Haruka's occasional malapropisms. Sara, being one of the Columns, sides with Haruka and the other Alliance members in the finale.
- Cool Mask: Comes with the costume.
- Nice Hat: In her typical outfit.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Sara's costume is extremely outlandish, even by Column standards. She could probably give Lelouch a run for his money...or maybe Batman.
- Invisibility Cloak: Her Robe's specialty.
Column II: Natsuki Kruger
GEM: Ice Silver Crystal
Master: Fumi Himeno
Home Country: Aries (manga only)Natsuki is the stoic and incredibly business-minded headmistress of Garderobe Academy. She is worried about the recent resurgence in Otome fighting.
- Aloof Big Sister: (Manga) To Alyssa. She genuinely cares, she's just way too caught up in her job.
- BFG: It's so big, that she has to implant the frills from her Robe to stabilize herself when she fires it.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her Headmaster outfit sports this, along with a Not-So-Badass Longcoat. But damn does she look good in it.
- Butt Monkey: In series.
- Faux Action Girl: (anime) Even though Natsuki is a Column-level Otome, she spends much of her time de-powered, delegating actual fighting duties to Shizuru. She loses the very first fight she actually gets involved in due to outside interference, and has to rely on tactics and diplomacy to regain the upper hand.
- Lady of War
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Until she grew into a non-schoolgirl lesbian, anyway.
- Show Some Leg: Nao convinces her to try this to flag down a passing Airies transport, then cuts her pants off to do so, leading to them getting arrested for indecent exposure.
- Supporting Leader: She's the #2 Column, but is often the one setting up the plans and leading the charge.
- Tears of Joy (manga): When she finally gets a chance to fight.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Column III: Shizuru Viola
GEM: Bewitching Smile Amethyst
Master: Fumi HimenoShizuru works alongside Natsuki as her assistant and protector. Her title is the "Bewitching Smile Amethyst", which matches her sometimes flirtatious behavior.
- The Ace
- Ace Pilot: Bushwhacker type.
- Action Girl
- Bodyguard Crush: Her devotion to Natsuki is absolute. Well, okay, not quite absolute, but when Midori asks her why she's fighting for the world, she responds that she fights for a person close to her, and it isn't hard to figure out who it is.
- Cool Sword: Katana. Double katana. Double whip katana.
- Deliberately Distressed Damsel: During the invasion in Episode 17, she allows herself to get captured to allow Natsuki and the other Meisters to buy enough time to get help.
- Double Weapon: Her Whip Sword.
- Even the Girls Want Her: And vice versa.
- Good Bad Girl: As her title, "Bewitching Smile," indicates. She may or may not be faithful to Natsuki under most circumstances, but she does take the chance to flirt on multiple occasions, to the point that when she's late coming home in Zwei, everyone assumes it's because she found a pretty girl.
- Groin Attack: In the manga, castrates Takeda when he turns out to have been after pictures of Natsuki.
- Guile Hero: When she isn't being The Ace, she's setting Tomoe up for a Break the Haughty Humiliation Conga.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Played with. She does a lot of heavy lifting for Natsuki and will sometimes go off on her own to do so; but Natsuki is pretty competent herself.
- Lady of War
- Lipstick Lesbian
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Taking the Bullet: Or was about to anyway, while trying to shield Natsuki from getting shot.
Column IV: See Juliet Nao Zhang
Column V: Mahya Blythe
GEM: Swirling Dance Fluorite
Master: Fumi HimenoAnime-only character. Mahya is the current Fifth Column. She takes her job very seriously, and tries to keep Akane's libido in check so that she doesn't lose her Otome powers.
- Cat Smile
- Dance Battler
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Facial Markings
- Jerk Ass: Often makes catty remarks, especially to Akane and Kazuya.
- Moment Killer: Shows up with several royal guards to drag Kazuya back and arrests Akane after finding the two at a motel, about to have sex. According to Zwei, she does this on a fairly regular basis, rigging a net outside Akane's room to prevent Kazuya from sneaking in to have sex.
GEM: Eternal Recurrence Jasper
Master: Fumi HimenoOne of the Garderobe instructors, Maria is an elderly mother figure and strict disciplinarian who tries her best to teach the students how to honor and respect the Otome traditions, as she once used to be a Meister.
- Action Girl
- Berserk Button: Does not like disrespectful references to her age.
- Full-Name Basis: Her typical way of addressing her students.
- I Was Quite a Looker: One of the last episodes of the series, and most of the Sifr prequel, showcases a much younger and more attractive Maria (with blond hair!). She says she hides this fact because she "wanted to age gracefully" (no pun intended).
- Lady of War
- Meaningful Name
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Believes that an Otome's loyalty to a master should take precedence over all others, but eventually comes to question this.
- Retired Badass
- Stern Teacher: In the anime, is typically strict to her students, especially about the harsher aspects of an Otome's life, and believes those who do not have what it takes should quit. In the manga, she even carries a riding crop around.
- Super Speed: Her Otome specialty.
GEM: Illusionary Lapis Lazuli
Master: Fumi HimenoOne of the Garderobe instructors, Yukariko is the most visible teacher on campus who is able to remain gentle and calm even under stressful situations.
- Hello, Nurse!: Supplementary material says that this was why she couldn't hold down a master.
- Hot Teacher
- Lady of War
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She doesn't look the part but she Nerves of Steel personality and is voiced by the trope patron saint.
Home country: AswadProfessor Yohko is the school's developer and maintainer of the technology that gives the Otome their powers. She appears to have some sort of past connection with Midori and Rad.
See Mai-Otome 0 S.ifr~ characters.
GEM: Infinite Wisdom Azurit
Master: Nguyen BaoAnh Lu is an Otome from the nation of Annam. She joins the side of the Alliance in their effort to take back Garderobe.
- Can't Hold His Liquor
- Facial Markings
- Handsome Lech: Apparently Shizuru was her room attendant. Suddenly it all makes sense...
- Marshmallow Hell: Inflicts this on Arika while drunkenly trying to cover up her breasts.
GEM: Fire Stirring Ruby
Master: Unknown (Mikoto)
Home country: ZipangMai is the so-called "Tragic Meister" who disappeared into the Black Valley a while before her graduation. She is a friend and former rival of Natsuki.
- Boobs of Steel: She was the 1st Coral and 1st Pearl of her Garderobe years. When it was time for graduation, both she and Natsuki were offered positions as the 1st and 2nd Columns.
- Custom Uniform: Her Pearl and Coral uniforms have orange trim, similar to Arika's pink trim.
- Embarrassing Nickname: 'The Tragic Meister'. She hates the name.
- First-Name Basis: With Natsuki and Mikoto. Technically, she calls everyone by their first name, she's just that friendly, but she uses honorifics in nearly all cases except with Natsuki and Mikoto. They in turn use only her first name without honorifics as well.
- The Ditz: She's a LOT more lax and easy-going than one would expect from someone of her standing, to the point that she goes on a walk to sort out a tough decision and she ends up walking into a hidden valley dozens of miles from Garderobe.
- Generation Xerox: Shizuru draws the parallel of Arika's and Nina's 'relationship' with Mai and Natsuki's back in their school days. She even had someone else sponsor her tuition to Garderobe just like Arika.
- Mundane Utility: Yes,she uses her power to make dinner.
- Present Absence: Despite her absence from most of the story, Mai's relationship with Natsuki was was hinted it at various times in the story in parallel to Arika and Nina's growing relationship.
- Rebellious Princess: Ran away from home at some point before coming to Garderobe.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The 'Red' to Natsuki's 'Blue'. Despite this, she was one of Natsuki's closest friends in Garderobe, and still is.
- The Rival: To Natsuki in that they were both the #1 and #2 Coral and Pearl Otome but it was more on Natsuki's side. Turned into a Friendly Rivalry very quickly as Natsuki considers Mai one of her best friends.
- Ring of Fire: Big ones, too. She can even light herself on fire by flying through her ring to deal even more damage.
- Shrouded in Myth: Legend says is that she disappeared in the forest split between her boyfriend and her status as an Otome. Turns out that the guy people thought she was with was someone she was only casually acquainted with, and she was split between becoming a Meister for her sponsor family and staying as one of the Five Columns. She decided to talk a walk to clear her head and the rest is history...
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Averted. Fans speculate that Mai's greatly-reduced role in Otome was due to Sunrise wanting to avoid a repeat of what happened with Kira in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny.
- And again in Zwei. As one of the strongest remaining Otome, she materializes and heads up to fight the enemy that's been causing havoc all this time but is interrupted by a ressurected, old fan favorite so that Akira and a returning friend can deal with the enemy themselves.
- Supreme Chef: Mikoto won't eat anything not prepared by Mai. The cafeteria at Garderobe serves 'Tokiha Mushroom Soup', one of her original creations from when she was a student.
- The Corruption: Somehow, the original HiME=s]' power got corrupted and memories replaced. Turns out [[spoiler:that the resurrected [=HiME were just altered copies based off the originals data.]]
- The Dreaded: The HiME were called "The Beautiful Devils of Darkness" and several times, people had tried to resurrect them in bids to take over the world. Mai is especially feared as it was she who caused the "Seven Days of Flame", the incident that effectively destroyed the old world. Which turns out, was all a lie to begin with.
- Reincarnation: This one is a bit confusing. Turns out that Mai who was the HiME of old, had her power corrupted somehow. The King and Queen of Windbloom who gave birth to Mashiro were the reincarnations of Mai and Yuuichi years later.
GEM: Malachite of Pure Love, Abyssal Green Jadeite
Master: Charles Guinel Roy d'Florince VIIIAnime-only character. Rosalie initially resigned from her position due to an Arranged Marriage (that wound up not happening). She initially joins late in the series on the side of Nagi and the Valkyries, but is convinced by Mashiro to switch sides.
- Arranged Marriage: The reason she left her post in the first place. She eventually comes back.
- Heel–Face Turn: Joins Mashiro in stopping the Harmonium after finding out that Nagi has betrayed his allies
- Regal Ringlets
- Shipper on Deck: In a sense; she wants Akane and Kazuya to get married so that Shiho (whom she dislikes) will be able to fill in as the Emperor of Cardair's Otome.
- Whip It Good
GEM: Rumbling Thunder Garnet
Home Country: Lutecia Romulus
GEM: Flowery Splendor Enstatite
Home Country: Lutecia Remus
- Disney Death: Aoi takes a hundred-plus foot drop off a rocky cliff, and still manages to survive...but just barely.
- Undying Loyalty: To Mashiro.
- Butt Monkey: Mashiro's own personal one.
A mysterious Proud Warrior Race seeking out Lost Technology. They hold no allegiance to any of the other countries.
- Anti-Villain: Type I
- Cyborg: Most of them.
- Even Evil Has Standards: They're antagonists for much of the series, but they broke with Schwarz for not returning Lena's body for a proper burial.
- Proud Warrior Race Guys
''"Power is not good or bad. But without power, there's only death."
Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (JP), Mariette Sluyter (EN)
Slave: GakutenouMidori is the leader of the Aswad, who oversees her people from an enclave in a distant mountain area. She is capable of summoning a beast called Gakutenou using a crystal on her glove, but can only do so for a limited time.
- Dual Wielding: Midori carries a pair of katanas.
- Fiery Redhead
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Almost everyone living among the Aswad looks up to her as a proud leader.
Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki (JP), Ethan Cole (EN)Rad is a mysterious Black Knight who serves Midori as her right-hand man. He was involved in the siege of Fuuka Castle 14 years prior to the start of Mai-Otome.
- Black Knight
- Blade on a Stick
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Heroic Sacrifice: Manga-only. Rips out his cyborg heart and detonates it to defeat the Three Scale Sisters.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: In the manga, he's Arika's father.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- That Man Is Dead: Rad no longer uses his former name (Rayte).
- Worthy Opponent: Considered Lena one.
Voiced by: Naoya Uchida
Slave: KyriosA man with a woman's body and speech patterns, Lumen loves to comment on the prettiness of girls.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies in the revenge attack against Cardair
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita
Voiced by: Kikuko InoueThe shortest cyborg of the five, Gal is skilled with electronics and is the only other woman on the team.
A cold, impoverished country with little military power and no Otome.
Nagi Dai Artài
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (JP), Graham Ko (EN)
Otome: Nina WángNagi is the Grand Duke of the nation of Artài and the main antagonist of the show. He is short and sneaky, yet holds absolute command over his subjects.
- Affably Evil: In the anime, he's outwardly pleasant to people. Averted in the manga, when he's more willing to openly show cruelty and hostility.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Bad Boss: In the manga, he treats Nina terribly.
- Big Bad
- Devil in Plain Sight: Even for someone who hasn't watched Mai-HiME, it's made pretty obvious that he up to something evil despite the comedic moments he suffers from. Notably, all jokes with his character are dropped after he gets active with his schemes.
- Diabolical Mastermind: He becomes one of these in the second half, dropping all pretenses of his previous affability.
- For the Evulz: His real motivation. He wants everyone in the world to "feel the pain of war."
- Humiliation Conga: the anime finale has him survive, but after all his plans are foiled his arrested for his war crimes and stuck doing hard labor for the rest of his life.
- Jerk Ass: In the manga, whips Nina with a riding crop when she takes Arika's punishment, and was willing to start wars over minor slights.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Oh Crap!: Sort of subverted in that it happens exactly once, and lasts for about ten seconds before he goes back to not showing any visible concern.
- Except when everyone comes to arrest him in the finale of the anime
- Redemption Equals Death: Manga-only.
- Red Herring: Manga-only. His actions in the manga make you think he takes the role of Big Bad like his anime counterpart. This status is taken full advantage of by the real Big Bad Sergay.
- Smug Snake
- A Taste of the Lash (manga): Strikes Nina's backside with a riding crop. He surprisingly likes to be on the receiving end as well.
- Ungrateful Bastard: In Zwei, he laughs off the failure of several former Artai military officers to secure his release by taking a bus full of hostages, noting that he would have gotten recaptured quickly if he’d stuck with "idiots" like them. Natsuki finds this appalling.
- Villains Out Shopping: First half, only.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Nagi says he plans to bring down the Otome system to put an end to using "substitutes" as fighters in wars and take the world out of the pseudo-Medieval Stasis it's been stuck in. That's all well and good, but when those plans include mass murder...
- Of course we later see he feels that it's wrong for the Otome to feel all the burdens of war because he feels that everyone should feel it, especially the common people since he feels they want it the most. Of course he doesn't think he should suffer for desiring war..
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP), Phil Fulton (EN)Major Sergay Wáng is Nina's adoptive father, and a messenger from the Duchy of Artài working directly under Nagi. In the manga, however, this isn't the case, as 1) Sergey and Nina aren't related, 2) he and Nagi are enemies, and 3) Sergey, not Nagi, is eventually revealed as the Big Bad (after killing the latter).
- Anonymous Benefactor: To Arika. Nina is not pleased when she finds out.
- Big Bad: In the manga.
- Boom, Headshot: Receives one from Nagi, but survives
- Double Agent: Works to protect his daughter and the welfare of the nation he serves. Nagi eventually finds him out, and shoots him in the head.
- Expy: Almost an older one of Mai-HiME's Yuuichi Tate (visually, anyway).
- Love Triangle: Between him, Nina, and Arika.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Sergay is quite torn about the direction Nagi is going, but remains loyal to him after having done so for so long. However, he ultimately decides Nina is most important for him and tries to destroy the Lena System, only to get shot in the process
- Punch Clock Villain: A personable guy who happens to work for a leader who wants to Take Over the World.
- Spell My Name with an "S" - Sergay or Sergei?
- Unfortunate Names: When you say his first name real slowly...
- And then add his last name onto the end of that...
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Morgan Partridge (EN)
Otome: Haruka ArmitageYukino is the president of the nation of Aries, a patriotic republic on good terms with Garderobe. Her Otome is Haruka Armitage.In the manga, she is a police officer for the Windbloom Police, and Haruka's partner.
- 100% Adoration Rating - The people of Aries adore her. They laugh at the idea of anyone trying to run against her during elections.
- Generic Cuteness - While not ugly, she's certainly not the beauty most of the other characters are.
- Meaningful Name - Her name in this continuity is a pun on her name in Mai-HiME, specifically the "Kiku" of "Kikukawa", which is written with the character for chrysanthemum. It also reference her position of power in this series as the chrysanthemum is the symbol of the Japanese Imperial Family.
- Nice Girl
- Odd Couple - With Haruka.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Red Oni, Blue Oni - Blue to Haruka's red.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (JP), Lori Barnes-Smith (EN)
GEM: Continental Orb Topaz
Master: Yukino ChrysantHaruka is the very impulsive Brigadier General of Aries's army, and a former classmate and Unknown Rival of Shizuru. President Yukino Chrysant is her Master.In the manga, she is an Assistant Inspector with the Windbloom police who dislikes Otomes.
- Ace Pilot: Steamroller type.
- Boobs of Steel
- BFG In the manga, has a vehicle mounted weapon that gets upgraded a few times.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Cowboy Cop: In the manga.
- Eagleland: Mixed flavor. Usually has the right idea about what to do, but she missed the memo about doing it tactfully.
- Epic Flail: Her weapon as an Otome.
- Large Ham
- Leeroy Jenkins: Often goes out to solve problems with force, and often can only be stopped by being hit on the head with a large blunt object.
- Made of Iron: After two of Yukino's subordinates hit Haruka on the head with a rock that requires both of them to lift, the rock breaks after Haruka passes out.
- Mythology Gag: Her ship is named after her Mai-HiME incarnation's surname.
- Odd Couple - With Yukino
- Red Oni, Blue Oni - Red to Yukino's blue. Also red to Shizuru's blue when they team up.
- The Rival: To Shizuru, although unlike in Mai-HiME, they seem to be friends as well as rivals.
- Super Strength - To an even greater degree than most Otome, as she is able to toss an airplane as a decent sized ship into outer space, and in one of the extras, it is revealed that she pushed the Suzushiro (her massive sand-cruiser) to Windbloom when it encountered engine failure.
A country to the far east that condemns the use of Otome and prefers to stay out of Otome conflicts. In the manga, Takumi and Akira are from Cardair.
Takumi Tokiha no Kami Tadayori
Voiced by: Yugo Takahashi (JP), Cole Howard (EN)
Otome: Akira Okuzaki (manga only)Takumi is the prince of Zipang who comes to Windbloom in search of his sister.
- Ill Boy: In the manga, he's even confined to a wheelchair.
- Intimate Healing - With Akira, in a Call Back to a very similar scene in Mai-HiME.
- Revenge: In the manga, he launches a retaliatory attack against the Aswad after his predecessor is killed.
- The Wise Prince
Voiced by: Sanae Kobayashi (JP), Annika Odegard (EN)
GEM: Mysterious Peridot (manga only)
Master: Takumi Tokiha (manga only)Takumi's bodyguard. In the anime, Akira is a ninja, but not an Otome, and finds the practice of using Otome despicable.
- Bifauxnen - As a Mythology Gag to her Mai-HiME incarnation, the first time we see her she's posing as Takumi.
- Dual Wielding - In the manga.
- Intimate Healing - With Takumi in a Call Back to a very similar scene in Mai-HiME.
- Ninja Maid - In the manga.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver - A variation. Shizuru figures out that "Takumi" isn't actually him because she feels some attraction to "him" when she otherwise doesn't feel anything for men.
- Tsundere - Tends to get irritated with Takumi at times, but cares for him deeply.
- Wholesome Crossdresser - Takes on Takumi's identity when he slips off to search for his sister.
Voiced by: Rie Tanaka
GEM: Excel Elegance White Onyx
Master: Emperor Argos XIV of Cardair.Fiar is the giant-staff-wielding Otome of Cardair. Her Master is Emperor Argos XIV. They are both killed by Midori when the Aswad retaliate against Cardair.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: By Gakutenou bursting through the roof of the castle
- Killed Off for Real
- My Master, Right or Wrong
Voiced by: Tomoaki IkedaThe ruler of Cardair.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Betrays the Aswad in order to retrieve data, which winds up getting him killed
- Bald of Evil
- Killed Off for Real As a result of Fiar's death.
Voiced by: Kazuma HorieThe prince of Cardair and Akane's boyfriend. After Argos' death, he takes the throne. In the manga, he's actually a Schwarz agent who has been cheating on Akane.
- Alliterative Name
- Nose Bleed: When Anh rips off the Otomes' tops in Zwei. Akane slaps him and calls him a pervert.
- Prince Incognito: Initially doesn't introduce himself to Arika and her friends as royalty.
- Your Cheating Heart: In the manga, he turns out to have been cheating on Akane, in addition to being loyal to Schwarz.
Voiced by: Naoya UchidaNext to Sergey, John Smith is Nagi's most trusted henchman. He is the main developer of much of Schwarz's weapon technology, including the Robes used by the Valkyrie unit.
- Affably Evil
- Evil Genius
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Killed Off for Real: Once Sergey finds out what's fueling the Valkyrie Robes (it's Lena Sayers' corpse), he gets extremely pissed off and puts two bullets in Smith's head.
- Last Name Basis: Almost always called "Smith".
- Legacy Character: In Sifr, there's another John Smith, with this one serving as his subordinate.
Voiced by: Kiyomi Asai (JP), Maizun Jayoussi (EN)In the anime, Miyu is a mysterious drifter who pops up from time to time to protect Arika. Her allegiance and motives are largely unknown. It is, however, known that she is very old, at least older than any human currently alive; she has a lot of unexplained knowledge about the world and the Otome technology, which she uses in the climax. She also once knew Arika's ancestor, who is implied to be Alyssa Searrs; this could possibly mean — and it is a popular fan theory — that she is the same Miyu as in Mai-HiME.In the manga, Miyu has been excavated and brought into working condition by Alyssa, who hopes to replace the Otomes with the "Maids" so that her sister will not have to be headmaster any longer. The Dark Hime version of Alyssa is able to exert some authority over Miyu, but ultimately, Alyssa Kruger wins
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Damn Heroes: For Arika in the battle against the Valkyries.
- Meido: In the manga, is one of the MAI Ds, a series of androids Alyssa hopes will replace the Otomes.
- Mysterious Protector
- Nice Hat
- Robot Girl
- Swiss Army Appendage
- Villain Override: Used in the manga by Dark Hime Alyssa, although the real Alyssa counters it by telling Miyu that she is her most important person.
Voiced by: Ai Shimizu (JP), Caitlynne Medrek (EN)Mikoto is a chubby black cat who lives in the castle with Mashiro. (Well, not exactly. The cat is actually owned by a humanoid girl who is also named Mikoto, a goddess who lives in the Black Valley. She's Mai's master.)
- Big Eater
- Cats Are Mean (manga)
- Distinguishing Mark: She's not an Otome, but a HiME, and has the spiral mark to prove it.
- God Was My Copilot
- Great Gazoo, in cat form
- Mega Neko: Mikoto is one big cat.
- Non-Human Sidekick: To Mashiro, and also for herself.
- Not So Different: To Arika, Mai and Mashiro's reactions to them enjoying Mai's cooking can respectively be summed up as "great, another Mikoto" and "great, another Arika
- Physical God: Mai says she could never beat her even with her robe on
YunaThe main antagonist, a life form that was sealed away, but returned via an asteroid.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Fires them out of its eyes to petrify its victims.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere
- Healing Factor: Regenerates from wounds almost instantly except for a brief window of opportunity granted by the use of the last Surrogate Core.
- Power Copying
- One-Winged Angel: After petrifying and absorbing Mashiro, changes shape again
- Taken for Granite - Petrifies its victims.
Wattarl IshigerminA painter from Airies who runs against Yukino in the presidential elections, showing up at the site of the busjacking. His running mate and supposed girlfriend is Tomoe Marguerite.
- My Nayme Is: While most of the returning characters except Mai have different last names, his first name has inexplicably been slightly changed.
- Small Name, Big Ego: He clearly has no chance against Yukino, but seems to think that he does.
Ribbon-ChanA young girl who was once part of Schwartz
- Cheerful Child
- Here We Go Again: Goes up the steps to the academy, and announces her desire to become an Otome even though Natsuki is slowly dismantling the system.
- Identical Stranger: Looks like a younger Erstin, which is somewhat disturbing to Nina.
- In the Hood: Wears a face-concealing hood until the end of Zwei.
- No Name Given: "Ribbon-chan" is her unofficial nickname.
"Mashiro" (real name unknown)
The de facto main character of the manga series. A twin of the deceased princess Mashiro who is forced to pose as her to avoid panic about the princess' real fate.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Later on, although it soon gives way to a Wham Episode.
- Badass Longcoat: Near the end of the series, after taking one of his many Levels in Badass, he receives one from Nagi.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Both Erstin and, of all people, Nagi are shockingly willing to work past that whole 'has a penis' thing once they find out that the girl they love isn't actually a girl.
- Plot-Based Voice Cancellation: It's never revealed exactly what his real name is.
- Rags to Royalty: Subverted; he actually is part of the Windbloom Royal family
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To the Big Bad, declaring that he doesn't love anyone, even himself.
- Took a Level in Badass: Several levels in badass, actually. He began the series unable to defend himself from school bullies and ended it as a Seraph-armored slayer of world-devouring horrors.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
Natsuki's younger sister, a child genius who holds a high position in the Aries government despite her extreme youth. She enters the story while attempting to market a mass-produced version of Miyu that she hopes will replace the Otome system... so her big sister can spend more time with her.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV. She merely wants to spend more time with her sister, and Arika sympathizes so much that she has trouble committing herself to the battle against Miyu.
- Big Sister Worship: Oh, my yes.
- Cheerful Child
- The Glomp: Very first thing she does to Natsuki, the very first time they're on-panel together.
- Ping-Pong Naïveté: Switches from cool, genius Aries representative to attention-hungry baby sister without missing a beat. And the thing is, neither one of them is an act.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tries to rig a contest in her favor by sending Miyu to seduce the judge. One wonders how an eight-year-old thought up that one...
The president of Aries in the manga, and Natsuki and Alyssa's mother.
Sergay Auguste Taiki
The manga incarnation of Sergay, who is essentially completely different from his anime counterpart except for his given name. He is not Nina's father, is the Prime Minister of Windbloom rather than an officer in the Artai military, and also is a very unpleasant person at heart, who becomes the main antagonist and tries to destroy the world, which he believes to be built on lies.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the anime, he was a Punch Clock Villain. Here, he's the Big Bad.
- Big Bad
- Death Glare: Has some terrifying facial expressions, especially with the use of certain lighting.
- Evil Chancellor
- Eviler Than Thou: Eviler than Nagi.
- A God Am I
- Killed Off for Real
- Large Ham: After he's revealed as a villain, during his Motive Rant.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Wants to destroy and recreate the world, as he believes it to be based on lies
- Not Quite Dead: After Fumi’s destruction, but his death at Manshiro’s hands presumably sticks.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a large black demon.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: Has to insist that Nagi call him "Colonel" instead of "Major".
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: The real Mashiro suffers this at his hands, and gets killed by Fumi.
The Dark Hime
Summoned forth by the real Mashiro, they do battle against the heroes in the final battle.
- A-Cup Angst: Dark Natsuki, who is very sensitive about her chest and jealous of Erstin's large breasts.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Manshiro vs. Dark Mai
- Evil Counterpart
- Malaproper: Dark Yukino. She and Dark Haruka appear to have reversed roles compared to their counterparts.
- Mythology Gag: Although this is based off of the Mai-HiME manga, in which Shizuru is not a Hime, Shizuru wonders what her own counterpart would be like, and conjures up an image of herself from the Mai-HiME anime, complete with Glowing Eyes of Doom and a Martial Arts Headband with "Natsuki Love" on it.
- Naughty Nuns: Dark Yukariko has an extremely revealing outfit
- Psycho Lesbian: Dark Yukino and Dark Haruka.
- The Vamp: Dark Yukariko
- Villain Override: Dark Alyssa tries this on Miyu, but Alyssa responds that Miyu is her most important person, inspiring Miyu to overcome it and kill Dark Alyssa.
Arashi Dai Artai
The younger twin sister of Nagi, Arashi is the antagonist (sort of) of the manga's pseudo-sequel, Mai-Otome Arashi. Taking over Artai following Nagi's death, Arashi passes herself off as a man and buys out Garderoube's debt as a means of taking over the installation to avenge Nagi's death, which she blames on Mashiro and the Otome.
- Avenging the Villain
- Bait-and-Switch Boss
- Big Brother Attraction/Big Brother Worship: She clearly thought Nagi was a far more awesome person than he really was and held him in awe, which is fine and even sort of cute. But she also explicitly described him as her 'ideal lover' and said her 'body yearned for him', which is less cute.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Began as a Smug Snake to rival her brother, ended as a Type-A Tsundere.
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: Though she kept it up well after she realized the implications.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Rescue Romance: At 'Mashiro'. The obvious problem with seeking revenge against a Chick Magnet with a penchant for playing Big Damn Heroes; if at any point you are endangered during the process, he will save you and you will fall for him.
- Unwitting Pawn: A pair of thieves had infiltrated her staff and used her as their tool to get into Garderoube.
- Villainous Crossdresser: At first. She drops the crossdressing around the same time she drops the villainy.
The Great Cosmo Beauties (Marie Antoinette and Yang Guifei)
The main antagonists of Mai-Otome Arashi, who use Arashi in order to get into Garderobe in an effort to obtain the Azure Sky Sapphire.