We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Characters: Limitless Fortress Residents
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), Brent Werzner (English)
Ban says it best: super-serious "samurai boy" who is Kazuki's best friend from childhood, and endlessly loyal and devoted to him (until Kazuki leaves and Juubei tries to kill him...). Blinded very shortly after being introduced, he works it almost into a Disability Super Power
. Works for Makubex now, unless Kazuki needs him for something. Fights with giant throwing needles. Nicknamed "Juubei of the Flying Needles", oddly enough.
- Battle Butler: Fills this function for Makubex, and probably Kazuki.
- Bodyguard Crush: Fanon's general opinion of his relationship with Kazuki. Considering their interactions... well, can't really blame the Estrogen Brigade.
- Mr. Fanservice: Hair in his eyes, great physique, Ho Yay-tastic devotion to his best friend and a damn sexy voice...
- Mask Power
- No Sense of Humor: Juubei shows us what happens when you tell such a serious, no-nonsense character that he has no sense of humor—he is devastated, and blames his inability to tell jokes for pretty much all of Makubex and Kazuki's problems.
- Samurai: He's not really a samurai, but is named after one and the word is frequently used to describe him in-series. Definitely fits his outdated Code of Honour.
Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono (Japanese), Judson Jones (English)
Friend of Shido's who stayed on as one of Makubex's lieutenants after Ginji left. Nicknamed the "Fresh Blood Joker" or "Bloody Joker" depending on your translation, he's another loyal to his friends type who reacts kinda murderously when the friends desert him. Thankfully, this is a one-time thing and he's usually perfectly content to play video games and make bad jokes. Fights with a strong-yet-pliable whip.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Pulls a couple of these with Amon. It is awesome.
- But Not Too Foreign: Is implied to be a descendant of Luolan, which was once a kingdom in West China.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Really does not appreciate poor treatment of women, but that doesn't stop him from snuggling Sakura-han's breasts when the opportunity arises.
- Cool Shades: Both used and subverted. His pink sunglasses either increase his goofiness in lighthearted scenes or dehumanize him when he's justifying the nickname "Fresh Blood Joker".
- High-Pressure Blood: high-pressure explosive blood.
- The Idiot from Osaka
- Kansai Regional Accent: Possibly Kyoto, given his use of "-han" in place of "-san" (it's not as common in Osaka or Kobe).
- Last Name Basis: His given name is almost never mentioned beyond his initial introduction and a joke that thematically links him to Amon. It's bad enough that the writers at Tokyopop don't seem to have a clue which is which, calling him "Emishi Haruki" and "Haruki Emishi" at different points. In the same volume, even.
- Last of His Kind: It is heavily implied by Emishi that the population of the Luolan tribe were all killed off by someone or something, though it's never stated what exactly happened. It was because of the loss of his home that he wound up at the Limitless Fortress in the first place.
- Manly Tears
- Rapunzel Hair: This doesn't apply to Emishi himself, so much as it does his whip. It is made from the weaved-together tresses of Luolan women who spend their lives growing it out for use in weaponry.
- Whip It Good
Voiced by: Yukiko Iwai (Japanese), Christa Kimlicko-Jones (English)
Juubei's older sister and Makubex's most trusted adviser... and that's about it, really. Still a good hacker and fights with the pink shawl-scarf she wears draped around her torso and as a headband.
- Clothing Damage: Poor girl gets into one fight in the whole arc and her clothes are burned off...
- Cherry Blossoms: Subverted. Her name, unlike most Sakuras, does not mean this. The kanji used to write this Sakura's name mean "new moon/first day of the month" and "silk," as her ability is to manipulate cloth.
- Lady of War: On the very rare occasions she does fight, her favorite technique is calmly wrapping people up in her tapestry, usually with her eyes closed.
- Morality Pet: The only time Makubex loses his composure while acting as the arc's Big Bad is when she gets hurt.
- Older Sidekick: She's 23 to Makubex's 14, and is just as loyal and devoted to him as her brother is to Kazuki.
- Satellite Character: It is very difficult to find a scene of Sakura that doesn't somehow involve Makubex. Even if he's not in the room, she's probably thinking about him, admonishing others to obey him, or working on his computer. Even when she leaves the Limitless Fortress to participate in the Underground Grand Prix for Kazuki's sake, she wears some kind of radio link so that she can speak to Makubex and send him information.
- Ship Tease: She surprise-hugs Makubex sometimes, and she's quite pleased when Emishi brings her flowers.
- Team Mom
Voiced by: Masaharu Sato (Japanese), Greg Grosh (English)
Old guy who raised Makubex (and Ren) and introduced him to computers, and the architect of Babylon Tower. Has mysterious connections to the Brain Trust, so he probably knows things
Voiced by: Yumiko Nakanishi (Japanese), Cassie Fitzgerald (English)
Cute little tomboy who has a cute little crush on Kazuki.
- Bifauxnen: Kazuki's Distaff Counterpart!
- Intimate Healing
- Tomato in the Mirror: When she tries to leave the Limitless Fortress to follow Kazuki, she is physically unable to do so—in fact when she attempts to simply stick her arm beyond the building, she sees it briefly go transparent—leading her to realize that she's just an artificial program created by the Brain Trust, just like MakubeX. In the anime, this sends her into a spiral of depression and nearly turns her evil in the final anime-only arc.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese), Jude Hickey (English)
Formerly one of Kazuki's friends and followers, he left because he thought Kazuki was too good for Ginji. Fights with his qi/chi/ki/what-have-you. Nicknamed "The Hell Knight".
- Ambiguously Gay: Has a Bodyguard Crush on Kazuki, and is the only man to kiss Ban
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: In the anime, he's arrogant in the manga, but relies on his angel for fighting, which Kazuki calls him out on
- As the Good Book Says: Invoking Divine Design seems to require reciting passages of the Bible vaguely related to whatever it is you're doing.
- Blow You Away: Due to his martial art training
- Bodyguard Crush: As with Juubei, his mancrushing on Kazuki is Fanon, but still incredibly understandable fanon.
- Dark Is Evil: His angel
- The Dragon: To Lucifer
- The Generic Guy: In all honesty, the series already had an honorable type of guy with a Ho Yay-tastic grudge against Kazuki. We're not sure why they thought they needed another one, but we're not complaining, either...
- Subverted in the manga, where he's a major Jerkass who abandons his martial arts for the power of angels
- Intimate Healing: Which makes him the only person in-series to kiss Ban.
- Last Name Basis: Kazuki is pretty much the only character who ever calls him by his given name, and in the manga, he seems to save it for particularly emotional moments.
- Light Is Not Good: His angel.
- Knight of Cerebus: In the manga he can summon one as well as a skeletal demonic centaur.
- Manly Tears: When fighting Juubei in the anime
- More Than Mind Control: When working with Lucifer in the manga and Masaki in the anime.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The Hell Knight.
- Our Angels Are Different: His "angel resembles a skeletal hell knight centaur than an actual angel.
- Our Demons Are Different: His demon knight centaur is considered an angel. He can also call out Cerebus.
- Religious Bruiser: In the manga, some elements of this are in the anime.
- Satellite Character: Would probably be pretty boring if not for his relationships with Kazuki and Juubei.
- Squishy Wizard: Subverted as he knows martial arts, but chooses to rely on his angel more/
- Villainous Breakdown: A bit more dramatic in the anime.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: To Kazuki