Characters: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
A list of characters from Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
. For characters introduced in Final Fantasy XIII
. Characters introduced in Final Fantasy XIII-2
open/close all folders
"This savior... What is she about, anyway?"
Voiced by Kanae Itō in Japanese and Jessica DiCicco in English
A capricious young girl who resembles Serah. She has a reputation for being a nuisance to all who encounter her, made worse by her ability to withstand and control Chaos. Despite this, it's unclear whether she considers herself an enemy of Lightning or merely causes her trouble as a form of entertainment.
- Altum Videtur: Her name is derived from the Latin word for light. It's a Meaningful Name, too: she's an incarnation of Lightning, whose real name is Claire, which means "light".
- Ambiguously Evil: She's said to "wreak havoc everywhere she goes", but descriptions have been vague on if she's an ally or enemy yet.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Enemy Without: She's the embodiment of Lightning's repressed childhood emotions given form.
- Evil Twin: Though she's not truly evil, she's built as an antithesis to Serah, trolling Lightning and making fun of her, and referring to her as a sister. She's actually Lightning's Evil Twin, though, her playful and joking demeanor sharply contrasting Lightning's stoic and serious attitude.
- Figure It Out Yourself: At one point, when Lightning tires of her riddles and wordplay and outright asks Lumina what the hell she's talking about, Lumina's response is that Lightning has to figure it out herself or else it won't mean anything.
- For the Evulz: Willing enough to pull this off without a second thought.
- Good All Along: If her backstory is anything to go by.
- The Heavy: She drives the story along, manipulating Lightning and the others to get them exactly where she wants them to be.
- Heel-Face Turn: In a way. She was probably never really evil to begin with.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Identical Stranger: Despite her looks, she doesn't have much in common with Serah as far as personality goes.
- Literal Split Personality: She's the manifestation of Clair Farron's repressed childhood emotions that she cast off when she "became" Lightning.
- Manipulative Bitch: While she can be described as playful at best, it's clear that she's not above arranging for the deaths of any characters just for her own amusement. In fact, while she says it was nothing personal setting Noel up to kill Lightning was clearly just for a few shits and giggles.
- Meaningful Name: Lumina's name is Latin for light. More than that, her name is actually derived from the Latin plural form, so it's actually lights. Lightning's real name, Claire, is French for light, and she's another Lightning.
- Not So Stoic: Her desperate/tearful pleading for Lightning not to leave her is a stark contrast to everything she's done before then.
- Hypocrite/Call Forward: She says she's completely fine all by herself, and she's willing to make her own amusement, but when everyone leaves her, she suddenly has to grow up and take it in? Now this is a clue she's actually Lightning. Bonus points for Lightning saying her final words when she gets stuck in the Chaos.
- Other Me Annoys Me: Due to their conflicting attitudes, Lightning sees her as a nuisance. Or, rather, she sees her younger self as a nuisance.
- Red Herring: Her entire personality has a lot of contrasting to Serah (a willing kleptomaniac, an all-around bad girl, and a Troll who can go or make anyone else insane, just for amusement). The real punchline is she's actually Lightning, and the darker shade of pink proves it as well.
- Soul Jar: Though she is a manifestation of Lightning, she is also the container for Serah's soul.
- Summon Magic: She uses chaos to summon monsters.
- The Trickster: All information so far describes her as being unpredictable and mischievous, and she enjoys playing with people like toys.
- Troll: She'll show up unexpectedly most of the time just to toy with Lightning or any of her friends, though it ranges from light teasing to emotional blackmail to get them to do what she wants them to. Which, considering who she's a Literal Split Personality of, may have some interesting implications as to what the younger Claire Farron was like....
The Speaker for the Dead
Voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura in Japanese and Erik Davies in English.
The representative of the souls of the dead who are lost in the Chaos to enlighten Lightning of the true nature of the Soulsong. It's not what Vanille thinks it is. To communicate with Lightning, it assumes the form of someone she knows, specifically Cid Raines
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: He's not actually Cid Raines, but the representative of the dead who is using his form because it is a person Lightning knew (rather, remembers deeply) well.
- Brick Joke: And how!
- Cessation of Existence: Explains that the souls lost in Chaos will continue to exist as long as they are remembered by the living, but the corrupted Soulsong that the Order of Salvation plans to have Vanille perform will wipe out the dead souls, which will in turn erase the memories of them from the living, and be genocide on an unimaginable scale. It will be as if they simply never existed.
- Mr. Exposition
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Asks Lightning to make sure that the Soulsong Vanille is set to perform on the final day is the correct one that will lead the souls to a new world, and not the corrupted one that will wipe them all out.
- Unexpected Character: No one expected this character to reappear.
"Honestly, I don't want to get blamed for spilling the wrong thing."
Voiced by David Lodge in English
Adonis is a member of Monoculus, a guild of thieves based out of the Dead Dunes. He hires Lightning to rid the desert of a nasty sandstorm, earning her a membership within Monoculus in the process.
A chocobo doctor who lives and works out of Canopus Farms in the Wildlands. He has been chasing the legend of the Angel of Valhalla for over a century.
- The Chosen One: He heard "a maiden's voice on the wind" that told him to seek out the Angel of Valhalla and ride to the Temple of the Goddess. However, subverted because there have been multiple people who have heard the same voice and no one has managed to find the Angel, let alone reach the Temple. Then Lightning comes along...
- Cynicism Catalyst: When his daughter died nearly a century ago.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's pretty brusque and rude towards strangers, but his demeanor completely changes once Lightning reveals she too has heard the voice and is seeking the Angel of Valhalla.
- Kindly Vet: He's certainly nice to the chocobos he treats. All the same, after he treats the Angel's wounds, he can't get it to accept food and drink because it's too proud to take help from a human, and is understandably exasperated at this.
- Mythology Gag: He's named after the favorite food of chocobos across the entire Final Fantasy franchise.
- You Are Number Six: He can't be bothered to remember the names of all his assistants, so he simply assigns numbers to them. Turns out that's not the case; he does remember their names, but he keeps himself emotionally distant as he has seen too many people and animals die over the years.