Mara de Oiseau
The main character of the series and the heroine of the (fictional) video game portrayed in the series. Her title, La Mouette Noire means "(The) black seagull" in French. Initially, she just wanted to go on her own adventures. After meeting Lady Faucon, she decided to hunt for her mother's hidden treasure and to avenge her mother.Only character to make an appearance in all issues. Even in Issue 7, despite losing her last life at the end of Issue 6.
- Action Girl: Charges into fights with gusto, although she doesn't always end them unscathed.
- All Women Are Lustful: She has a great sexual appetite.
- Ancestral Weapon: The saber she uses was also used by her mother.
- Animal Theme Naming: Seagull
- Beware the Silly Ones / Berserk Button: She may be happy-go-lucky, but she will tear you a new one if you resort to underhand means.
- Bi the Way
- Blatant Lies: In Issue 4, when asked if she knew the story behind the paintings at her old family château...Mara: No, I do not. Never before have I been here.Truth
- Brainless Beauty: Beautiful, and reckless.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Gets put through this pretty often. Usually, it involves sex.
- Cool Mask: Gets to wear one in Issue 4, along with Wig, Dress, Accent. Notable as no one recognised her until an attack on the château. And it wasn't even the mask's fault.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Frequently on the receiving end of one.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Mara thinks very highly of Sarena. Mara's father is not mentioned anywhere.
- Enemy Mine: Was forced into this with Faucon when they got captured by the authorities and had to escape together.
- Mara Has Standards: Even with her Really Gets Around attitude, she is disgusted when she had to get it on with an old man and a ghost.
- Expy: Character-wise, Mara is one of Katarina De Leon, the titular "Black Kat" of Pirates: The Legends of Black Kat, a game by Westwood Studios. Even the bikini outfit is a Shout-Out to the game's cheat codes which dress Katarina in bikinis. Her name is taken from Mara Rousseau, Katarina's mother, who is a pirate like Sarena.
- Failed a Spot Check: A main reason why she loses her lives.
- Fiery Redhead
- Gratuitous French
- I Have Many Names: Well, three anyway. To strangers, she's La Mouette Noire. To Easy, she's Mara. At the party in Issue 4, she's Marina. For the record, her full name is Mara de Oiseau.
- Killed Off for Real: Lost her last life at the end of Issue 6. However, if Easy manages to figure out how to use the credit coin to save her, she'll be able to return to her game. Averted in Issue 8, as she manages to get back to her game.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Went charging headlong into a random mission on her first adventure. She ended up losing a huge chunk of her Life Meter when the boss of the mission (an end-of-game boss) stabbed her through. She grew wiser after that.
- Loveable Rogue
- Major Injury Underreaction: Two cases
Mara: AAAAOOW! It hurts. Truly, it does hurt!
- In Issue 1, she was run through by a sabre which dealt massive damage to her. Her reaction? Do keep in mind that the sabre is still stuck in her.
- In Issue 4, she was slashed by a skeleton, which again dealt massive damage to her. Her reaction? Attack the skeleton for destroying her fancy dress.
- Noob: Only way to describe her on her first mission. The things that went wrong are too long to list. Suffice to say that she "ended up with one life less, and no extra points".
- Sequence Breaking: Her adventuring style. Although it has led her into situations out of her league, Lady Faucon states that it was because of this that she considers Mara dangerous.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker
- Strong Family Resemblance: Captain Brule managed to figure out who her mother was just by looking at her thighs.
- However, if one compares their tattoos, Mara and Sarena chose completely different designs.
- Sue Donym: How she came up with her alias in Issue 4.
- You Killed My Mother: To Lady Faucon.
- Younger Than They Look: Sometimes, it's easy to forget that Mara just turned 18. Judging from her "skills", she could easily be in her late 20s.
Sarena de Oiseau
Mara's deceased mother, and a famed Pirate Queen in her heyday. After Mara met Lady Faucon, she becomes determined to both avenge her mother and to find her hidden treasure troves.
- The Ace: Mara sees her as this.
- Action Girl
- All Women Are Lustful: Like her daughter, she seems to have a great sexual appetite.
- Butt Monkey: As badass as Sarena may be, her record with traps is less than impressive.
- Combat Stilettos
- Dead Lady On Display: In Tethys's telling of her execution. She was hung by her elbows, and naked save for her stockings and heels.
- Famed In-Story: Sarena's exploits are apparently well-known to many in the series. Whatever respect Mara gets from others is largely due to her fame.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Her Final Death in the hands of Lady Faucon. Noteworthy as it took place on board her own ship, which Mara inherited. Also one of the few deaths in-series which is not Played for Laughs.
- Hoisted By Her Own Petard: When dealing with Blackbeard. Not only did she not finish him off when she had the chance, she tried to seduce him when they next met. She lost 1 life for her troubles.
- Killed Off for Real
- Let's Get Dangerous!: From looking at the savegames alone, you would think that Sarena was Too Dumb to Live. Then, you realise that she was the Pirate Queen of her generation, and her treasure troves are seeked out by other pirates.
- Mysterious Past: The exact circumstances of her Final Death. Mara knows that Lady Faucon is involved. By her own admission, Tethys was as well.
- Her whole career, basically. Exact details are hard to come by.
- Pirate Booty: Her treasure troves, which are hunted by other pirates after her death.
- Posthumous Character: Died before the series started
- Stocking Filler
First mate of Blackbeard, and the one who caused Sarena's Final Death. It's implied that she once had a non-human form, but she's stuck with her human one during the series.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Animal Theme Naming: Falcon.
- Bi the Way: Has frequent sex with Blackbeard. If she is to be believed in Issue 3, she had sex several times with Sarena despite both women hating each other.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dissonant Serenity: Had this expression as she killed (and beheaded) both Mara and Sarena.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The fight with Mara in Issue 1. It helps that Mara had already been badly wounded before their fight.
- Enemy Mine: Was forced into this with Mara when they got captured by the authorities and had to escape together.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Nice Hat
- Of Corsets Sexy: The topless variant.
- Royal Rapier: Uses one.
Mara's first mate, as well as her lover and advisor.
- All Women Are Lustful: Easy has only been seen having consensual sex with Mara, but it's frequent sex.
- Despite being raped on Thong Atoll, she later recalls some "nice spears" fondly
- Black Comedy Rape: Happened to her on Thong Atoll
- Bi the Way
- The Consigliere: Gives good advice to Mara. Whether Mara listens is another matter.
- Failed a Spot Check: Didn't notice a naked lady wearing a wooden mask standing behind her.
- Non-Action Girl: Despite being first mate on a pirate ship, she is this.
- Overly Long Name: Mild example. Her full name is Isabella Maria Santa Jose.
- Out of Focus: Justified, as Mara is on a solo mission from Issue 4 onwards. She comes back in Issue 6.
- Sassy Black Girl: Despite having a Spanish name, she is this.
A mermaid (with human legs). In league with Admiral Aegir.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Cute Monster Woman: When her skin is human coloured, you can't tell that she's a mermaid.
- Poisonous Friend: Is friendly with Mara, while plotting her downfall at the same time.
- Pointy Ears: Notable, since she keeps them even in her human disguise.
- Shape Shifter: When it comes to skin colour. Close enough to pass off as human while in disguise, blue otherwise.
- Her eyes also become less human-like when she's not in disguise.
- A bloodthirsty pirate, based on the Blackbeard in Real Life.
- All Men Are Perverts: Played with. Sex seems to be of less importance than murder to him.
- Ax-Crazy: Between killing the crew mentioned below, and finding replacements, Blackbeard declared that the latter was more difficult.
- Bad Boss: After Sarena humiliated him by defeating him, he killed his entire crew.
"La Dame Des Corbeaux"
A dark-skinned lady, whose face is hidden behind a wooden mask. Seems to trade in goods of a... "meta" nature.
- All Women Are Lustful
- Animal Theme Naming: Raven
- Chekhov's Gunman: Has a cameo in Issue 3. From Issue 6, she may yet play an important role in reviving Mara. In Issue 8, the Continue coin she gave to Easy successfully revives Mara.
- Cool Mask: Seems to be made of wood.
- Femme Fatalons: Has a set of gold-coloured ones on her left hand.
- Figure It Out Yourself: How she avoids explaining the use of the item she gave to Easy.
- Gratuitous French
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has one nasty-looking one on the right side of her face, but she's on Mara's side.
- Older Than They Look: Her speech implies that she is very much older than Easy, yet she has a buff body that easily put Easy's to shame.
- Sex for Services: Demands this from Easy, the "service" being an item which can help Mara.
A new player character featured in Issue 7, after Mara was seen losing her last life in the previous issue. Captain of the S.S. Same Damn Beach. Her game is a parody of the Mass Effect series.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Does this with Sarlok on two occasions. Sarlok humiliates and kills her for her troubles.
- Expy: Appearance-wise, of Miranda Lawson. As Captain, she's an expy of Shepard.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: As part of an achievement.
- Decoy Protagonist: Issue 7 marks her first ( and last) appearance.
- Miss Fanservice: Has the appearance of Miranda Lawson, and a voracious appetite for sex.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Exists mainly to highlight the consequences of a player character reaching Game Over, and not continuing her game.
- Walking Spoiler: One can't talk about her without spoiling the fact that Mara lost her last life at the end of Issue 6.
Crew of the S.S. Same Damn Beach.
The Grim Reaper of video game characters in this series. She administers the Final Death to player characters who cannot continue their games.
- Cute Monster Woman: Beneath her mask, she has a cute face. The "monster" part comes from the metal-like wings protruding from her back.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Averted. The Final Deaths she administers are brutal. Even by her own reckoning, player characters really should not want to meet her.
- Game Face: She puts on a metal mask whenever she administers a Final Death.
- Meaningful Rename: Mara rechristens her "Erma"; Enma is the Japanese pronunciation for the King of Hell, Yama.
- Nothing Personal: She does her duty without joy or malice.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Averted and defied. While she returns Mara's courtesy, she still went ahead with Mara's execution. The Continue coin with Easy was the thing which saved Mara.