Characters: Kingmaker, Kingbreaker
Characters from the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker
open/close all folders
The Innocent Mage and Awakened Mage
Asher of Restharven
A young Olken fisherman from the village of Restharven and the focus of the first book. Tired of getting pushed around by his six older brothers, Asher vows that he will get rich, buy a larger boat and live a peaceful life fishing with his father. To that end, he plans to work in the capital city of Dorana for a year. However, he finds little luck in finding a job once in Dorana, until a chance encounter with Prince Gar nets him a job at the palace stables. Little does Asher know that his coming to Dorana is watched by the Circle, a clandestine group of Olken mages. Turns out that Asher is the 'Innocent Mage', who is prophesised to save Lur from the End of Days.
Asher works with Matt, the stable master, and gradually adjusts to city life. He is eventually elevated to the position of Assistant Olken Administrator by Gar.
- Book Dumb: Asher can read perfectly well, but sees little point in doing so.
- Brutal Honesty: One of the reasons Gar hires Asher as his assistant is because of this. Asher doesn't tend to mince his words, particularly about things (or people) that he doesn't like. That doesn't mean that he completely lacks tact, though.
- Poor Communication Kills: If Asher had just told his father where he was going, his father wouldn't have died pining for his son.
- Rags to Riches: Goes from a poor fisherman to the Assistant Olken Administrator. His appointment comes with an increased salary, fancy new clothes and a room in the Prince's Tower.
- The Chosen One: He is the 'Innocent Mage'
- You Can't Go Home Again: Asher is disowned from his brothers and banned from fishing in any of the eight fishing communities.
The Royal Family of Lur
The first-born child of the Doranen royal family. He was born without magic, meaning that he could not take over his father's Weather Working
duties and thus could not be the heir to the throne. He was set aside in favour of his sister Fane and given administrative duties to perform as the Olken Administrator. A scholarly and compassionate young man, he seeks to better understand the Olken and improve Doranen-Olken relations. To that end, he hires Asher as his assistant. He is temporarily granted magic through a spell cast by Morg, who intends to use him as a pawn.
- Bookworm: Gar is a noted scholar and historian. He is overcome by excitement after the royal family and Durm discover Barl's long-lost library.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Gar expresses jealousy at his sister's capabilities and wishes dearly that he could help his father with his Weather Working duties. He gets his wish after Morg artificially induces magic in Gar
- I Owe You My Life: To Asher after he saves Gar from drowning. Gar swears to do whatever he can for Asher in return.
The king and the Weather Worker
of Lur. As the Weather Worker
, he controls the weather in many parts of Lur (places further away from Dorana, like Restharven, are unaffected by Weather Working
) and is responsible for maintaining Barl's Wall. The constant strain of Weather Working
is taking its toll on Borne, however. He is in ill health for much of The Awakened Mage.
- Good Parents: Borne treats both of his children kindly and fairly, although he is ocassionally harsh with Fane. He doesn't treat Gar as a cripple despite the latter's lack of magic. Instead, he reassures Gar that he loves him and encourages Gar's natural inclination towards scholarly pursuits.
The second-born child of the Doranen royal family and the Weather Worker
-in-waiting. She was conceived after it was discovered that Gar had no magic (which was unusual, since the royal family is usually only permitted one child). She is considered a prodigy, having enough raw power to supposedly rival Barl herself. Since she is the Weather Worker
-in-waiting, she spends much of her time studying and practicing magic.
- It's All About Me: Doesn't try to empathize with her brother at all. Instead, she constantly rubs his nose in the fact that Gar has no magic and goes out of her way to taunt him. When Gar suddenly gets magic, she throws a hissy-fit and accuses Gar of trying to usurp her position. She then tries to kill him.
The queen of Lur and mother of Fane and Gar. An elegant and humorous woman, she is usually the voice of reason in her family.
The head of the palace stables and a member of the Circle. Matt befriends Asher after the latter is hired on as a stablehand.
- A Father to His Men: The stableboys under his direction are shown to respect him, while Matt clearly cares for them in return. For example, he mourns Bellybone after the stablehand dies in the storm caused by Borne's illness.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dies protecting Dathne from a demon during the final confrontation with Morg.
Characters introduced in The Prodigal Mage and The Reluctant Mage
A Blight of Mages (Prequel)
Ranked Mages (first families)
The Council of Mages