The characters from Kare Kano
open/close all folders
The Miyazawa family
The female protagonist of the series,15 years old, is a seemingly smart, attractive, athletic and talented person, who appears to be a model student. Both her male and female peers express their admiration for her, often asking her for help and commenting about her model features and characteristics. However, her "perfect" exterior is merely a fašade to hide the fact that everything she does is done solely to receive praise from others, and that she acts slovenly at home.
The middle daughter of the Miyazawa family who tends to tease Kano.
The youngest of the three Miyazawa daughters, Kano is known for her shoujo manga and novel obsessions.
Hiroyuki and Miyako Miyazawa
Yukino, Tsukino and Kano's parents.
The Arima family
The male protagonist of the series, starts out as Yukino's rival at school, and ends up as her boyfriend. A handsome and popular boy, Soichiro excels at kendo and becomes a national champion. He is at first smitten with Yukino, unaware that she secretly hates him and constantly tries to compete with him. After unwittingly discovering that Yukino is not the model student everyone thinks she is, Soichiro blackmails her into doing his school work so that he can spend more time with her. After resolving the issue and becoming each other's first true friend, they eventually fall in love. Yukino learns that Soichiro, like her, is making an effort to "be perfect" for a reason...
- Academic Athlete
- Always Someone Better: To Yukino at first.
- Berserk Button: He punched a Jerkass for hitting Yukino. In front of his teacher.
- Broken Ace: Due to having been horribly abused as a child, and later gaining massive insecurities.
- Broken Bird
- Chick Magnet: Received confession from his female classmates during his elementary and middle school years.
- Child Prodigy
- Class Representative
- Club President
- Covert Pervert: Played for Drama. He is usually fighting against his dark side's perverted thoughts.
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Dark and Troubled Past: Spent the first three years of his life being constantly abused and neglected by his mother Ryouko to horrifying levels. When found by Reiji, he was severely malnourished and emotionally damaged; then he was taken to his uncle's home and started to get better.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Stabs himself through the hand with a box cutter after he thinks he raped Yukino, an act which she did not consider as such at all.
- Fair Cop: Becomes a police officer, later detective, in the Time Skip. In fact, his long life dream was to actually be an officer since he was little.
- Happily Adopted: By his aunt and uncle, who he refer to as his mother and father, right in front of his birth father.
- Hidden Depths: Very much so.
- Nice Guy: He does have issues, but is still a good person.
- Nothing but Skin and Bones: By the time Reiji found him, Soichiro had nearly starved to death and his body had almost no muscle or fat left. And to make it worse, he had spent most of his life up to that point like this already.
- Official Couple: With Yukino.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Yukino's Red.
- School Idol
- Single-Target Sexuality: It was revealed in a flashback that Yukino was the only girl he met who could "make his heart race".
- Stepford Smiler
- Unknown Rival: To Yukino at first.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: When he was first adopted by his aunt and uncle, he truly didn't understand what love was, because up to that point he had never experienced anything from his birth mother but hatred and abuse. This carries into his teenage years, where he still has issues understanding his love for his girlfriend and how to act upon it.
- Yandere: His dark side has very strong whiffs of this.
Shouji and Shizune Arima
Shouji is voiced by: Yuji Fujishiro (JP), Bill Rogers (EN)
Shizune is voiced by: Ai Satou (JP), Kristen Nelson (EN)
Soichirou's uncle and aunt and his adoptive parents.
Voiced by: Kazuko Yanaga (JP), Kristen Nelson (EN)
Soichiro's aunt, and Shouji's elder sister. As the eldest child of the Arima family, Eiko wanted to follow her family's profession and become a doctor, but her father told her girls should not become doctors. This turned her cold and distant.
Youngest and illegitimate
son of the Arima family and Soichiro Arima's estranged father.
He's a famous musician who lives in the USA.
Soichiro's sadistic cousin, and the son of Eiko.
Yukino and Arima's school friends
Yukino and Soichiro's lazy and girl-crazy friend.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Would looove to get laid by the girls who adore him, but wouldn't force a girl to do anything she doesn't want to. And he also adores his friends, specially Arima. Who says that, had Asaba been a girl, he would've fallen in love with him.
- Hidden Depths: His relationship with Arima. And his bad relationship with his parents.
- May-December Romance: Arima and Yukino's daughter Sakura falls for him. Asaba at first refuses her, but she won't have anything of it.
A petite, beautiful girl, who has loved Soichiro since they attended middle school together. She joins the cast later since she had a very serious accident in the first day of school, and is very jealous of Yukino. She mellows out a while later, and starts having doubts and heartaches of her own...
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When introduced.
- Cute but Cacophonic: Both her Japanese and English voices, in different ways.
- Daddy's Girl
- Flanderization: Her status as the unofficial 'mascot' as the group eventually leads to her becoming something of a wild animal. Compare her introduction and Miyazawa-hate phase, as well as her Romance Arc with Kazuma to later parts of the manga.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: She and Kazuma.
- Heroic BSOD: Goes through a pretty severe one when Kazuma leaves her to join the band full time because he's too immature to stay with her after realising her feelings for her. She stops eating despite the pleas of her father (Toshiharu) and step-mother and she even refuses to listen to Yin and Yang's music, even when it's being blared out in public. It takes Kazuma coming back, telling her his feelings and begging her to look after herself again to partially recover.
- Like Father, Like Daughter: Somewhat. During a discussion between Toshiharu and Kazuma's mother, the adults tell how each parent-child pair is alike. In this case, the need for extra emotional care and the need to depend on someone more than usual.
- Luminescent Blush: Gets one hardcore once she reciprocates Kazuma's non-sibling feelings for her.
- Missing Mom: Her mother fell victim to Death by Childbirth.
- Older Than She Looks: So tiny and cute-looking that people think she's just a primary schooler.
- Parent with New Paramour: Tsubasa's widowed father married the Hospital Hottie who took care of her when she was in the hospital. (And she's also Kazuma's mother). Tsubasa was VERY unhappy at first.
One of Yukino's friends. A talented athlete, her tomboyish prankster attitude eventually catches up to her in the person of a person from her past, Tonami Takefumi.
A published writer at a very young age, Aya is obsessive compulsive when it comes to her writing.
A gifted seamstress and craftswoman. A self-effacing person, Rika considers her life as average, and the least distinguished among her friends, but she is happy to be behind the scenes.
- The Heart / The Conscience: For both versions of her group of friends (middle school and high school). When she gets visibly upset at the antics of the original three she manages to get them to stop immediately with a few words and a look. The group as a whole doesn't hesitate to let her have her moments of enjoyment during the field trip.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Very girlish and very good at making clothes.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: One in training.
The star of her middle school, but she falls out of the limelight when she arrives at Hokuei High School because of Yukino. Maho becomes jealous of Yukino, which mirrors Yukino's jealousy of Soichirou...
A fat, sickly, and spoiled child who was constantly picked on in elementary school. He was somewhat protected by the tomboy Tsubaki, who, while protecting him from other bullies, would bully Takefumi herself. Things turn out to be very, VERY different later...
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: As a child was PISSED when he learned that Tsubaki protected him because she was asked to by the teachers, as he thought she did it willingly.
- Formerly Fat: Read the description above, then compare him to his looks in-story.
- Jerk Ass: During middle school when he was still fat. He was such a Jerk Ass that Rika of all people admitted to the high school Tonami that she wanted to hate him back then.
- Revenge Of The Nerd: Attempted, as he was still angry at Tsubaki for their past and tried to use his new looks and charm against her, helped by how she didn't recognize him at first. Then he falls in love for real with her, and she likes him back.
- Walking the Earth: He and Tsubaki, later.
A rough-looking young man, the son of a beautiful nurse who later marries the father of a young girl that she took care of in the hospital. Said guy is Tsubasa
's father. Later, Kazuma starts looking at his stepsister with other eyes... and she likes him back.
A stern but caring mother to her son, she works at the hospital where Tsubasa was being monitored and cared for after her accident. It was during that time when she and Tsubasa's father met and eventually fell in love. It took showing her rougher side (albeit accidentally) for Tsubasa to finally accept her and the relationship between Ms. Ikeda and her father.
- Education Mama: Subverted. She knows Kazuma is pretty Book Dumb and accepts when he says he wants to leave school to concentrate on the rock band.
- Happily Married: (Eventually) with Tsubasa's father.
- Like Mother, Like Son: Somewhat. During a discussion between her and Tsubasa's father (Toshiharu), they realise that each parent-child duo has similar traits. In this case, an ability to be take care of oneself and not be super dependent on others.
- Not So Different: To Miyazawa, who also exhibited a goody-two-shoes demeanour which hid a more aggressive side. She roughs up her son when she finds out he revealed their comparably poor home to Tsubasa. This somewhat two-faced nature finally managed to soften up Tsubasa (who is reminded of Miyazawa) to the point that she accepts the relationship between her father and Kazuma's mother.
Soichiro's biological mother, who abused the Hell out of him.
A kind dentist and a friend of Maho. Later, her husband.