open/close all folders
Light Cruisers (CL)The next ship class from Destroyers, Light Cruisers have better armor and hit points compared to Destroyers, and can equip heavier guns as well (up to 20.3cm, the same guns Heavy Cruisers have). They have the second-highest evade values after Destroyers, and like them can still attack submarines via depth charges. They can also equip and launch seaplanes for scouting, but this is generally only done after they are remodeled.
- Theme Naming: All of them but the Katori-class* are named after Japanese rivers.
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: A trademark of the said class.
- Boobs of Steel: Averted. While considered among the curviest light cruisers and bears a fit figure, they lack the stats to provide the "Steel".
- Hotter and Sexier: Their Summer 2015 seasonal art, which gives them both rather skimpy bikinis, as well as fuller and slightly more realistic body proportions.
- Older Than They Look: The Tenryuu-class is the fourth oldest of real ship classes currently represented in the game, with Gangut being the oldest. In real life, Tenryuu and her sister ship were laid down as World War I was coming to a close and went into active service after. They were already old ships when World War II finally broke out, but unlike their contemporaries the Kongou-class, they never received any upgrades note , which made them hopelessly obsolete. This fact is reflected in their relatively poor in-game stats.
- Purple is Powerful: Their overall color motif. Subverted, however, in that they're actually the weakest light cruiser class.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "My name is Tenryuu. Fufufu, ya scared?"
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: Two horn-like pods floating beside her head. Her 2015 rainy season lines suggest that they're RADARs.
- Blood Knight: She's quite eager to get into the fight and readily expresses her displeasure at being called away from the front lines for any reason.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Compared to her younger sister, she's a lot more prone to shouting.
- Bokukko: Makes use of ore as well as masculine speech patterns. This is an integral part of her "wannabe tough girl with a chuuni streak" personality.
- Butt Monkey: Her characterization in fanworks portrays her as Tatsuta's Chew Toy.
- Catch Phrase: "Fufufu, ya scared?" Enough for it to be well-adopted by the fandom.
- Cool Sword: Uses a katana that, for some inexplicable reason, has a painted waterline on it.
- Eyepatch of Power: Likely in reference to having one of her searchlights shot out during one of her first major battles in WW2, similar to Heavy Cruiser Furutaka. However, fanon commonly interprets it as her trying to look cool.
- Fanservice Pack: Her Summer 2015 art◊ places great emphasis on her sizable "fuel tanks" and well-toned figure (things fanartists have been going with it before it happened)
- Flanderization: Let's just say that fanworks take her efforts to look tough and intimidating Up to Eleven only to utterly fail and to be mocked by a Troll Tatsuta.
- Friend to All Children: Despite her proclaiming herself to be "scary", she is actually good with Destroyers (which are mainly depicted as kids). This is appropriate given that her real-life counterpart was designed specifically to serve as a flagship of destroyer squadrons. In gameplay, she's usually assigned as the flagship to lead destroyers on expeditions.
- Team Mom: Her parental surrogate role for Destroyers has been partially canonized as of Summer 2015, in which one of her seasonal lines has her setting up and managing a game of beach volleyball for them.
- Hot-Blooded: Quite the hothead, as exemplified by her ocassional shouting in her sortie and battle lines.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Makes herself out to be intimidating despite being one of the weakest among Light Cruisers stat-wise, making her prone to Tatsuta's teasing in many fanworks.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Tenryuu: Damn... I can't advance nor retreat, huh... Tatsuta... sorry... I'm going ahead of you...
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with her black leggings
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "Nice to meet you, I'm Tatsuta~. I hope Tenryuu-chan hasn't been causing you trouble?"
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: Has a metallic halo-like structure floating above her head.
- Berserk Button: In the 4koma, submarines. Yes, most of the kanmusu dislike submarines after their Real Life counterparts were sunk by them, but when I-168 and I-58 are introduced, Tatsuta looks at them with a threatening aura.*
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tatsuta is very soft spoken and gentle, along with a nice and healing smile... even when ostensibly threatening someone.
- Big Little Brother: To Tenryuu. She's seen as being more mature than "Tenryuu-chan", especially in fanworks.
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon of choice, with the sharp edge colored the same way as a ship's bow (see pic)
- Dissonant Serenity: Always speaks in a pleasant tone even when heavily damaged... or when threatening someone. See her Stop Poking Me! line.
- Flanderization: Fanon enjoys portraying her as Cute and Psycho or turning her Troll status Up to Eleven.
- Flower in Her Hair: Gets a large, white flower as part of her Summer 2015 art.
- The Gadfly: Though nowhere as much as fanon makes her out to be, in canon, she does love teasing Tenryuu because of her "tough" personality.Tatsuta: Eh, me? I've still got more to go~ Hey, Tenryuu-chan's got such an ama~zing glaring face, hehehe~
- Hidden Buxom: Compare her pic in this page to her 2015 Summer outfit.◊ Looked like she gained quite a lot.
- Fanartists generally treated her as well endowed in general and took to the swimsuit design pretty well.
- Series Continuity Error: Her 2015 Summer outfit◊, for some reason, changed her eye color from purple to gold presumably to match Tenryuu's.
- Stop Poking Me!Tatsuta: Touching is forbidden~ That hand, don't blame me if it falls off.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: They're all a few cards short of a full deck, with Tama and Kuma's animal based verbal tics, Kiso's chuunibyou tendencies and Ooi's infatuation with Kitakami, leaving the latter as the only sane member of her class.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Alex Moore (English)
- "Kumaa. Nice to meet you, kuma."
- Animal Motifs: Her name sounds the same as the Japanese word for "bear". Combined with her Stop Poking Me! line and her Verbal Tic, she is very much associated with bears.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Like Tama, she gains a yukata for the Autumn 2015 season. As of Christmas 2016, she has her own Santa Claus-themed outfit as well.
- Idiot Hair: An oversized one. Grows truly gigantic for her special Autumn 2015 sprite.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Kuma has stats that, despite only having a first remodel, are slightly stronger than even Sendai's and Naka's second remodels in certain areas while being rather easy to obtain. Unfortunately, she's easily overlooked due to the Sendai-class's rare equipment and memetic personalities, her sisters that become torpedo cruisers, the low consumption and overall popularity of the Tenryuu-class and the high rarity of the Agano-class.
- Stop Poking Me!
- Kuma: "Don't pat me, kuma. I'm not a teddy bear, kuma~"
- Those Two Guys: With Tama in the anime.
- Verbal Tic: Almost all of her lines have her appending "kuma" at the end of all her sentences or simply saying it alone.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Gains Grade-A ones with her Christmas 2016 art.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Marla Acevedo (English)
- "Light cruiser, Tama. I'm not a cat, meow."
- Animal Motifs: Talks and behaves just like a Cat Girl only without cat ears. Also due to her name ("Tama" can be written to mean "furball" and is a common cat name in Japan).
- Fanservice Pack: Not only does her Fall 2016 seasonal art give her larger breasts, the damaged art is the most extreme Clothing Damage in the game to date: Tama is stripped completely nude and covering herself with a tattered flag.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gains a happi coat (with the same historical Northern campaign camo as Kiso) and blue yukata for Autumn 2015.
- Heavy Sleeper: To go with the cat motif.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: She claims she is not a cat, but still uses her cat-like verbal tic.
- Tama: "Tama's my name, but I'm not a cat, nya!"
- Those Two Guys: With Kuma in the anime.
- Verbal Tic: Just like Kuma, but with "nya" instead.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo (Japanese), Morgan Berry (English)
- "I'm light cruiser Kitakami, nice ta meet 'ya."
- Alpha Bitch: In fanworks, when she is not being a Tsundere, either towards destroyers or Abukuma.
- Bare Your Midriff: After her second upgrade.
- Boisterous Bruiser: She becomes more of this after remodeling.Kitakami: "It's Super Kitakami-sama, equipped with type-93 oxygenated torpedos, with 20 firing tubes on each side. It's been said that I have overpowering strength, but I did not really get any chances to shine. Feh."
- Born Lucky: Zig-zagged: The main difference between her and Ooi is her better luck with her Kai Ni. However, her unremodeled self actually has lower luck than Ooi's (and lower maxed stats, though you are unlikely to see this unless you intentionally max them as they remodel at a low level.) It's because she's the Sole Survivor of her class.
- Braids of Action: Among the strongest ship in Kancolle who wears a braid.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Her battle output is in contrast with her easygoing personality. The fanworks often exaggerate this, making her a natural-born genius who takes training and battle like chores.
- The Bully: To Abukuma, mostly in fanon. In canon, Abukuma avoids her at all costs, because of the real-life collision between the two ships. Kitakami, being Kitakami, is oblivious to it.
- Glass Cannon: Same as Kiso, with greater emphasis on the "cannon" part due to a higher maxed-out torpedo stat, giving her damage output that can rival the Yamato-class battleships. However, this advantage comes with its own set of additional drawbacks that Kiso is not subjected to.
- Hidden Buxom: In the anime. No one expected Kitakami to fill out that two-piece bikini she wore in episode 8 so well.
- Necessary Drawback: To compensate her tremendous power with torpedoes as a CLT, she has poor Anti-Air and she uses more ammo than a standard CL, especially in her second remodel where an update increased her ammo usage even more.
- Oblivious to Love: She only sees Ooi as her sister ship and best pal.
- The Slacker: Occasionally, in fanworks, due to her calm and slow disposition.
- Sole Survivor: Of the Kuma-class.
- Those Two Guys: With Ooi, in both official media and fan works.*
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo (Japanese), Amber Lee Connors (English)
- "Hello. I'm Light Cruiser Ooi. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
- Affectionate Nickname: Kitakami calls her "Ooi-cchi".
- Bare Your Midriff: After her second upgrade.
- Berserk Button: Hurt Kitakami and you'll be receiving Ooi's lovely torpedo shots, so don't do it.* Ooi: Who's the one that hurt Miss Kitakami?!
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: More blatant in the anime, where she's nice only to Kitakami, but rude to everyone else.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loves bragging about her torpedoes and comments out-loud in battle that she wants to use them already.
- Characterization Marches On: Ooi has experienced some of the more obvious changes in characterization among the known Fleet Girls to date. See many of the entries here? They're no longer accurate, as per later updates as well as the anime, which more or less sets in stone both her Psycho Lesbian and Yandere tendencies. Just check her Valentine's Day lines!
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Her characterization in the anime towards Kitakami, with some Bitch in Sheep's Clothing.
- Flanderization: When she debuted in the game, she was a subdued Blood Knight that's clingy towards her sister-ship, slightly tsundere toward the Admiral and dismissive of the rest of the fleet. Now, in the anime and among fans, she's a violent Psycho Lesbian that is utterly obsessed with Kitakami and downright hateful to everyone else.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She is the one who cooks in her hourlies, as a part of showing the caring and nurturing side of her. She also cooks for breakfast and dinner in Kitakami's hourlies. However, it is implied that the special curry she serves during dinner might be drugged.
- Glass Cannon: Similarly to Kitakami, Ooi has a devastating opening torpedo salvo but lower health and armor than other Kai Ni light cruisers.
- If It's You, It's Okay: In-game, Ooi is somewhat less ambivalent towards the Admiral after her second remodel. Later updates however imply that (unless you marry(temp) her before you remodel her at all) it's less growing affection for the Admiral, and more of tolerating the Admiral's presence. For now.
- Necessary Drawback: In addition to what was mentioned above under Glass Cannon, she also has a much higher ammo consumption.
- Those Two Guys: With Kitakami. Evident in the Anime adaptation where most of her non-combat appearances would always have Kitakami involved.
- Tsundere: At one point, for the Admiral. Later updates kicked this to the curb, turning Ooi completely Kitakami-sexual.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: See Berserk Button.
- Yandere: For Kitakami. Not helped when a later update added even more dangerously suggestive lines, involving knives and poison. If you marry her at Kai Ni form, this also extends to you.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- "I'm Kiso. I'll bestow upon you the absolute best victory."
- Badass Cape: Gained one with her second remodel. Would you just look at that...◊
- Bare Your Midriff: Made more noticeable in her second remodel.
- Bokukko: uses "ore" for the same reasons as Tenryuu, though unlike her, she has the stats to back the tough-girl part.
- Cool Sword: Gains a cutlass(!) on her second remodel.
- Expy: Her artist deliberately based her personification of the light cruiser on Minamitsu Murasa from Touhou, as a self reference to her past drawing Touhou fan art.
- Eyepatch of Power: Likely to reinforce her tough girl image, as well as to make up for her lack of verbal tic compared to her sisters. Her second remodel has her sporting an even better-looking version.
- Glass Cannon: Her Torpedo Cruiser form's torpedoes gives her battleship-grade offensive capability. Don't expect her to take those hits in return, as she's still as frail as a light cruiser.
- Graceful Loser: If she gets sunk.Kiso: You're sinking Kiso... You can be proud of it.
- Historical In-Joke: The actual Kiso never became a torpedo cruiser but she was planned to be one. Her second remodel is what if she actually was remodelled into one mixed with her camouflage from the northern operations.
- Hot-Blooded: Though she cools down a bit when she gets heavily damaged.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Compared to Kitakami and Ooi (she's still a hardcore Glass Cannon in general). She doesn't have a torpedo stat as freakishly huge as the two of them, but is a good deal cheaper to refuel and unlike most "cheap alternative" ships, she actually has better everything else (with the exception of luck), increasing her survival rate by quite a bit.
- Magikarp Power: Her transformation into the third Torpedo Cruiser after Kitakami and Ooi, which is only available at level 65.
- Mr. Imagination: Her tough girl mannerisms and eyepatch caused many fans to interpret her as a chuunibyou. This was later canonized with her second remodel and the 4-koma, wherein she is called out for being a chuuni due to how she pictures her Kai 2 outfit looking.
- Odd Friendship: With Maruyu, going as far as teaching her to cook curry. Gets amplified in the fandom to Big Sister Instinct levels, especially when one remembers just how vulnerable to damage the in-game Maruyu is.note
- Pirate: Her remodel makes her aesthetically similar to one, but not to historical pirates. Oh no, we're talking about the Captain Harlock kind.
- Sweet Tooth: Might be one according to her 2013 Christmas voice, where she (gleefully?) proclaims the Christmas cake is too sweet.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her Kai 2, natch; she actually lives up to her tough girl image now.
Artist: Kuuro Kuro
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "Light Cruiser Nagara! Please take good care of me!"
- Hot-Blooded: Very spirited and passionate, especially in combat.
- Martial Arts Headband: What differentiates her from her from the other ships of her class.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Much like Kuma, she has top of the line stats even as a first remodel but is often overlooked in favor of more popular light cruisers and even her slightly more popular sisters.
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Nagara: I wanted to run with everyone some more...
- Passionate Sportsgirl: Acts like a typical one.Nagara: V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! Vic~to~ry! The sound of success!
- Tan Lines: In her Fall 2015 Seasonal artwork, she at first looks like she only has tanlines on her forehead due of her wearing her headband... but then you look at her damaged artwork and it looks like she tanned while wearing her normal outfit.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Has a small one which, while not obvious in her default art, is more pronounced in her festival art.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with leg socks held with brown garters.
Artist: Kuuro Kuro
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "I'm Isuzu. Leave the torpedo squadrons to me. I'll bring victory to the Admiral with all my power. Pleased to meet you."
- Anti-Air: Isuzu's second remodel has the best AA stat among Light Cruisers, and as of the July 31st 2015 update she joins the Akizuki-class and Maya in being able to do Anti-Air Cut-In without a Fire Director. This reflects her real life conversion into a dedicated anti-aircraft cruiser. Famously, she also gives a good boost in AA when modernizing other ships.
- Fanservice Pack: Isuzu goes up about at least two sizes during her second remodel. This is lampshaded in the official 4koma, with her Kai 2 version used as an example of "chest armor enhancement". It also made her a rather popular choice for doujins.
- Guns Akimbo: On her 2nd upgrade.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of white ribbons prior to her second remodel. At Kai 2 she gains a "radar mast" hairband as well.
- Magikarp Power: Her Kai 2 remodel at a relatively low level 50, which greatly increases her AA and Anti-Submarine capabilities.
- Mega Twintails: A thick pair that reaches a little past her waist.
- Necessary Drawback: To compensate for her Kai 2 version's strong AA and ASW, her default range was changed from Medium to Short. Nothing that a 20.3 cm cannon can't fix, though, so it's not that big of a drawback.
- This situation got worse on 23/04/2014. With the introduction of Artillery Spotting, seaplanes gained importance. Isuzu Kai 2, having 0 capacity, is thus denied the benefits of this system. Some players went so far as to claim that the entire Nagara-class is now inferior to the Sendai-class' second remodels.
- Additionally, while she is capable of Anti-Air Cut-Ins, her unique Cut-In set up* gives her the weakest Anti-Air Cut-In game while also limiting her other combat options to compensate for how easy it is to obtain her. The effectiveness of this setup has since been buffed (though it's still relatively weak), while another setup was added* . This second setup, while having a weaker Anti-Air Cut-In than the first, allows Isuzu to perform double attacks at night.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: While she has the highest base anti-submarine stat in the game, due to how anti-submarine damage is calculated light cruisers with four slots such as Yuubari are better at dealing with submarines. This is because anti-submarine equipment (and the number of them equipped) is just much more effective compared to the base stat.
- As mentioned above, she has a weaker Anti-Air Cut-In compared to other ships.
- Her ASW problem has been alleviated in June 30, 2016 patch, however, by making her the only ship capable of preemptive ASW without any special stat or equipment requirement whatsoever. note Her summer rigging reflects this ability with the addition of Mark IX depth charges and Hedgehog ASW mortars. Notably, these two ASW weapons were used exclusively by the Allies during WWII.
- She Is All Grown Up: Compare her second remodel with the base Isuzu, and the changes are staggering.
- Tsundere: She has shades of this in some of her lines. Amusingly, she actually becomes more Tsundere after her Kai Ni.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A like the one on Nagara, but her second remodel has the brown garters on her socks given a more unique design.
Artist: Kuuro Kuro
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "I'm called Natori... I'll do my best not to trouble you!"
- Fanservice Pack: Something that likely would evade the notice of most Admirals until she gets heavily damaged after remodeling, where it then becomes plainly clear that she's actually gone up two cup sizes◊, especially when compared to her damaged sprite prior to remodeling. Her fall art's damage art is rather suggestive while avoiding anything truly racy.
- Hair Decorations: A white hairband.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Like Nagara and Kuma, though she also has the disadvantage of having only standard armor which pushes her close to Glass Cannon territory.
- Reluctant Warrior: Her dialogue hints at wanting to avoid combat if possible. In her marriage line she is happy because apparently she and the Admiral are Not So Different.Natori: "The Admiral doesn't really like fighting as well, it makes me feel at ease. For the Admiral, no, for y-you... I'll keep doing my best."
- Shrinking Violet: The quietest of the Nagara-class ships.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Same as on Nagara and Isuzu, Grade A.
Voiced by: Yumi Tanibe
- "Fourth ship in the Nagara-class Light Cruisers, 'Yura'. Pleased to make your acquaintance!"
- Arm Cannon: She, Kinu and Abukuma had this, which resembles a 14cm cannon.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: If she gets sunk.Yura: "I guess this is better... than being scuttled..."
- Hair Decorations: A 7mm hairtie for her ponytail.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytail reaches all the way to her knees.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel she upends even Abukuma in terms of versatility, allowing her to equip landing crafts, midget submarines and combat seaplanes, in addition to 8cm secondary guns in the expansion slot. However, her lackluster stat increase also makes her even more of a Master of None than Abukuma, and her low plane slot counts also limits the effectiveness of her seaplanes.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- "Yeah yeah yeah! Finally, Kinu has arrived!"
- Anti-Air: The November 4th 2016 update introduced Kinu's Kai Ni remodel, boosting her max AA stat to 83, one point below Isuzu Kai Ni. This remodel also provides two unique Anti-Air Cut-In setups that are permitted with her stock equipment* . The reduced equipment requirements allow for more versatility.
- Alternate Character Reading: Her name is based on the Kinu river, but translated individually, her characters mean "Oni Fury" (Oni oko). She lampshades it in her major damage line.
- Arm Cannon: She, Yura and Abukuma have their weapons mounted on their arms.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Her 2200 hourly mentions "KanColle time".
- Declaration of Protection: To the Admiral in her marriage line.Kinu: "Admiral! We're always just training together, maybe that's a signal that we should spend some more time together...maybe... haa.. Eh?! No, I didn't mean it in that way, I mean that I since I'm nearest to you, I should protect you... I want to... yeah... ah, whatever!"
- Hot-Blooded: The Admiral is her motivation.Kinu: "When I look at the Admirals face, I get all motivated~"
- Magikarp Power: With a second remodel requirement of level 75 and a blueprint, her AA and ASW are improved in a similar manner to Isuzu. Additionally, she receives the unique innate ability to increase resource gain by 5% in expeditions, similar to the effect granted by Daihatsu Landing Craft. Her stock equipment including one Daihatsu means she alone immediately provides a 10% bonus to resource gain in an expedition fleet without additional equipment* .
- Necessary Drawback: For the aforementioned improvements, she shares the default range reduction to Short that Abukuma and Isuzu suffer at their second remodel, as well as reduced firepower.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Kinu: Admiral, sorry, looks like this is it for me.... please withdraw the other girls...
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has dark pink hair.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- "H-hello, I'm Abukuma, a light cruiser."
- Achilles' Heel: Her bow, because it had been weakened due to a based on Real Life collision with Kitakami.
- Arm Cannon: She, Kinu and Yura had this, however in her 2nd remodel she trade it off for dual wielding pistol-like weapons.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Just like Kinu, in her hourlies.Abukuma: 1900! Study, work! And then Kancolle!
- Butt Monkey: In fanworks she is Kitakami's.
- Cowardly Lion: Likely the result of the collision between her and Kitakami. In fandom, it is depicted as the result of Kitakami's (and sometimes Ooi's) constant bullying.
- Girlish Pigtails: With Odango Hair.
- Guns Akimbo: On her 2nd upgrade, but unlike Isuzu who wields 2 14cm-like guns Abukuma carries 2 12.7cm Late Guns.
- Got Me Doing It: In her rain season line, she remarks that Destroyers are annoying after seeing the Shiratsuyu class ships are frolicking in rain, before realizing that she starts sounding like a certain someone (read: Kitakami).
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Prone to give this from time to time.Abukuma: Am I really just no good? But, I don't want to lose like this!
- Loophole Abuse: Her second remodel practically runs with this trope. While it didn't raise her stats to the level of the Sendai-class light cruisers, the remodel allows her to equip Daihatsu-class landing crafts for additional resources per expedition and midget submarines for preemptive torpedo strikes, all while retaining her classification as a pure light cruiser and the ability to field reconnaissance seaplanes, greatly increases her versatility as stated below. The price for this versatility is quite steep however, as she has the highest remodel requirement of all light cruisers at Level 75* and requires a blueprint for the aforementioned upgrade, as well as reducing her default range to Short.
- Shrinking Violet: Around the Admiral.
- [[This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman This Looks Likea Job For Aquaman]]: Due to her classification as a "pure" light cruiser, albeit with several additional functionality tacked into her second remodel, she can participate in certain maps and expeditions that discriminates against torpedo cruisers or other Daihatsu carriers* such as Expedition 21* and 37* and Map 1-6, 3-2* , 3-5, 6-3, Summer 2015 E-6 and E-7* , as well as fulfilling the "one" light cruiser requirement in the Combined Fleet's escort composition, potentially increasing the number of preemptive torpedo-capable ships to four along with the three torpedo cruisers* .
- This is also subverted when it comes to maps that aren't so restrictive, as she does have some of the strongest stats of all light cruisers, making her a prime choice regardless.
- Vocal Dissonance: She has a very squeaky voice that makes her sound much younger than she looks.
- When She Smiles: She is much happier in her second remodel art.
- Image Song: The Splendid Second Torpedo Squadron. Amusingly enough, for all of Naka's idol dreams, Jintsuu is the lead singer on that one.
- Starter Ship: In Kancolle Kai, the three Sendai sisters are the light cruisers that can be chosen as the starter ship.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once inferior to the Nagara and Agano classes, with all of them now have Kai 2s, the Sendai-class have in general surpassed them at high level. See individually below.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English) (anime)
- "Sendai has arrived. Please leave the night battles to me."
- Boisterous Bruiser: More than her younger sisters, especially during Night Battles.
- Covert Pervert: In the 4-koma, she likes seeing other girls get wet in the rain as it makes their underwear visible.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In most of her lines.Sendai (married): "Admiral, what's up? You're all red... O~ho, you wanna have a night battle with me?"
- Girlish Pigtails: Sports a couple of these (see pic). Made slightly more pronounced with her design in the Anime.
- Gratuitous Ninja: Deified. Thanks to her obsession for Night Battles, fan artists have speculated her to be a Ninja of sorts. Then came her second remodel, which solidified the Ninja motif on her.
- Hot-Blooded: Especially when her beloved night battles are involved.Sendai: C'mon~, night battle~!
- In-Series Nickname: She is called "Yasen Baka (Night Battle Idiot)" by Abukuma and Kumano in their night battle lines.
- Running Gag: Her behavior at night is brought up by a number of other ship girls in their lines through either their night battle lines (as mentioned above), or their hourly lines at night (20:00* , 21:00* , 22:00* or 23:00* ), where they comment on how loud she is or how noisy it is (or in Hatsukaze's case, how quiet it is when she's not here).
- Scarf of Asskicking: Gains one on her 2nd remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: From being the slightly stronger Elder Sister Com Mon to being the best performer in Night Battles, with stats probably third to Jintsuu in her Kai-2 and Yahagi in her Kai form, a Searchlight and Starburst shells, and a night-specific seaplane unique to her* , giving her the ability to disassemble her foes in Night Battles.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Natalie Hoover (English) (anime)
- "Uh, I'm the light cruiser Jintsuu. So, I would appreciate your favor..."
- Beware the Nice Ones: While very courteous, soft-spoken, and bordenline Shrinking Violet, Jintsuu has a certain reputation in the expanded universe as The Dreaded and Drill Sergeant Nasty. Kagerou, Setting Sail shows that she's very capable of psychologically manipulating Kagerou into apologizing for asking questions and other girls' Setsubun lines imply that many destroyers are afraid of throwing beans at her despite she's being the designed oni.
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: A variation. Her Autumn 2015 Damaged Art◊ has her in a kneeling position putting on her Martial Arts Headband, while clenching what looks like a torpedo sideways in between her teeth.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Serves as the responsible sibling to her sisters. Her first appearance in the anime has her apologizing for Sendai's eagerness to bring Fubuki and co. to Night Battles, and for Naka's idol tendencies (she was out on the base's open grounds handing flyers to other fleet girls.)
- Hates Being Touched: She hates all type of physical contact. She even is scared of touching equipment!
- Which is based on her Real Life actions: Jintsuu was sunk after lighting up enemy ships with her searchlights, causing them to light her up with retaliatory gunfire.
- It Has Been an Honor: If she gets sunk.Jintsuu: Admiral... I...together... it was an honour...
- Joke Item: The searchlight she gets from her second remodel is a reference to how her historical counterpart was sunk at night after her searchlights were switched on. Her second remodel's sprite comes with a searchlight. When she gets heavily damaged, it gets switched on. She even wears it under her yukata in her Fall 2015 artwork.
- Lethal Joke Item: Equipping it to one ship also increases the cut-in chances of your entire fleet and decreases that of the entire enemy fleet, at the cost of the ship equipping it being more likely to be targeted, which makes it valuable for night battle-only nodes.
- Magikarp Power: Gets a second remodel at level 60, and in the process also provides an astonishingly appropriate piece of unique equipment: a searchlight. And a huge buff to her stats.
- Martial Arts Headband: Gains one after being remodeled.
- Samurai: Whilst Sendai is outfitted as an Ninja, Jintsu, particularly in the fanarts, is depicted as this.
- Her seasonal CG plays this at her damage art.
- Sarashi: Shown on her 2nd remodel form.
- Shrinking Violet: Quiet and reserved.
- Took a Level in Badass: From being an unremarkable Com Mon to being essentially the strongest pure Light Cruiser in the game. Maximized, her stats are either equivalent or superior to the Furutaka and Aoba -class Heavy Cruisers. This also comes with an extra level in assertiveness.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English) (anime)
- "The fleet's idol, Naka-chan! Nice to meet you!"
- Ascended Meme: The fanmade Image Song of hers, Gun-SEKI's "2-4-11 of Love". So associated with her that they even got her own VA to sing the same.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Her MVP line.Naka: Even if the game is boring, please don't hate Naka-chan!
- Com Mon: In addition to her rarity (which is the lowest possible in the game, but tied with many destroyers and light cruisers anyway), she's also a very common crafting result in normal ship construction in any recipe where a Light Cruiser is a possible result. Thankfully, Large Ship Construction doesn't drop her. Since players are so likely have her drop/get constructed frequently, she's gained the Fan Nickname "2 Fuel 4 Ammo 11 Steel", representing the materials gained by scrapping her...which most players will do immediately, especially when they start getting duplicates of her. It's pretty much part of her being an "idol".
- Cranial Eruption: When she gets heavily damaged in her Kai 2 form, one appears on her head, complete with an Instant Bandage on it, on top of the Clothing Damage she suffers.
- Frilly Upgrade: Her Kai 2 remodel gives her a noticeably more frilly outfit than her first one.
- Genki Girl: A girl who acts like your typical cheerful and perky Idol Singer.
- Happy Holidays Dress: The first ship to be given a special Christmas-themed◊ sprite◊ on top of holiday-themed lines.
- And she gains another for her Kai 2 form in Christmas 2014.
- Idol Singer: Certainly acts the part, and most of her lines are references to real-life idols, specifically to Atsuko Maeda of AKB48, where her library card number, second remodel (Kai 2) level, and even full Hit Points after said remodel are all 48. Her Kai 2 remodel also gives her a more idol-esque outfit◊, complete with a microphone.
- Necessary Drawback: Has the lowest remodel among the three (and by extension, all Light Cruisers,) and has better anti-air and anti-sub stats, in exchange for slightly lower stats on all others compared to her sisters.
- Not in the Face!: One of her quotes if she is attacked.Naka: "Kyaa! Not the face~!"
- Odango Hair/Hair Antennae: Her signature hairstyle.
- Odd Friendship: Bob, her artist, generally likes to have her being close to Haguro in promotional arts despite the fact that historically and both from in-game lines they barely met.
- Punny Name: Her name is homophonic with the kanji 中 (also read as "Naka", but alternatively read as "Chuu"), meaning "middle/center", which explains her Character Tic as being an idol, i.e the "center of attention".
- Third-Person Person: She ups this one a bit by almost always referring to herself as "Naka-chan".
- Took a Level in Badass: Used to be a plain annoying Com Mon without any noticeable advantage stat-wise. Received a Kai 2 form and became one of the strongest Light Cruisers available (her Hit Points and ASW in particular are now higher than those of the Agano-class, all at the lowest second remodel level in-game to boot).
- Zettai Ryouiki: A Type-A with her white leg socks, after getting remodeled a second time.
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Japanese), Kristen McGuire (English)
- "Oka~y, thanks for waiting! The experimental armament cruiser 'Yuubari' has arrived!"
- Bare Your Midriff: A reference to the modifications done to the belt line of the real-life ship to save weight. Ironically the historical Yuubari actually ended up heavier than her planned weight due to all of the stuff put on stacked on top of it.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Her Mid-Summer 2015 line yoinks Yuudachi's "poi".
- The Engineer/Wrench Wench: In the print spinoffs where Akashi is not present, Yuubari fills this role instead. Extends to the anime as well, again due to the absence of Akashi. If the two do appear together (in the 4koma or the movie), they're usually partners (in crime or otherwise).
- Hair Decorations: A blue ribbon holding up her ponytail.
- Informed Flaw: Despite her multiple lines of her being slow (including her MVP line, no less!), which are references to her boilers which were meant for destroyers and were installed to save weight, she has a listed speed of Fast (as the historical ship could reach 35 knots). As a result, the lines saying that she's the slowest in the fleet stop making sense when you have all other ships in said fleet having a listed speed of Slow, or when she's the only ship in the fleet.
- This trait becomes somewhat less informed after the introduction of ship speed upgrade mechanics. While most of the Fast ships could achieve the "Fastest" speed after equipping a certain amount of boilers (sometimes in forbidding amount), Yuubari cannot reach that speed even if all her equipment slots were occupied by boilers.
- Necessary Drawback: Has more equipment slots than any other Light Cruiser (which means that when remodeled, one can potentially stick four 20.3 cm guns on her, though typically her slots are used to give her a hybrid AA-ASW role), but in return she has a much lower maximum Hit Point, Armor, and Evasion stat than her peers.
- This situation worsened in 23/04/2014, with the introduction of Artillery Spotting, seaplanes come to importance, with Yuubari have 0 capacity being denied benefits of this system.
- The introduction of Ooyodo, who also have 4 slots and have none of the above drawback (but in turn have other weaknesses), replaced Yuubari in this role. There's even fanart depicting Yuubari's jealousy at Ooyodo.
- Glass Cannon: Especially against submarines. In fact, her historical counterpart was sunk by a submarine.
- Not the Intended Use: She wasn't meant to be a submarine killer (historically she didn't even carry any sonars), but with the huge buff to ASW equipment, her extra slot changed from being a mere gimmick to something that made her extremely viable for ASW use, both for pure enemy submarine or mixture of submarine and regular ships (a hybrid AA-ASW role for Yuubari in this case, with High ASW and Night battle power. This role is only for Yuubari even now, see Ooyodo below). Later when drums were introduced and 4+ drums were required in 5-4 to easily reach the boss (and get some fuel on the side), she was one of the few ships (and the only non-CAV) constantly being used for drum-carrying duty, since it meant that only one ship would need to carry drums, allowing for the other 5 ships to focus on damage dealing (this role largely taken over by Ooyodo, but the latter is much harder to obtain)
- Otaku: Sure Yuubari, you don't stay up to record post-midnight shows.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Which kind of clashes with her midriff-baring outfit in a way.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Due to her low armor and evasion, she's used for virtually nothing outside of fighting submarines, but she's the best in that field bar none, due to having 4 equipment slots as well as ASW equipment having received a boost. In particular, during the Arpeggio event where Iona was in many people's PvP fleets, Yuubari was invaluable in taking her down.
- It gets even better when pre-emptive ASW is introduced, as Yuubari is one of the shipgirls capable of reaching the requirements for the pre-emptive strike if she is sufficiently leveled.
- Her unremodelled form is the most fuel efficient light cruiser in the game, so she's also used for expeditions which consume only fuel.
- Armed Legs: their seaplane and torpedo launchers are put on their legs. Predictably, in the arcade game, they actually lift their legs and/or do a kicking motion to launch them.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Sure, they are on the stronger end of their ship type, but they pay for these advantages with higher-than-average fuel and ammo consumption for Light Cruisers. The fact that they (barring Sakawa) are only available from Large Ship Construction despite being mere cruisers does not help.
- As of October 2014, all four Agano-class cruisers drops in regular maps. However, only Agano is dropped in the relatively easy World 5-4 map, whereas the rest of the them were dropped in World 6 maps.
- The Agano-class become even more impractical when the Sendai-class received their second remodels, giving them superior stats to the Agano-class as well as valuable equipment.
- With the addition of artillery spotting, they are at least more useful, and they have 1 more plane in each slot than most other light cruisers. Ooyodo is still better than them in that regard however.
- By Summer 2016, they are highly desirable for their high ASW stats, especially Sakawa.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: They all wear a single stocking on their left leg.
Voiced by: Yuki Yamada
- "Hello~! I'm the latest light cruiser Agano~. Teehee~"
- Catch Phrase: "Kirari~n!"
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She is the foolish of the Agano-class.
- Forgetful Jones: As shown in her hourly notifications.Agano: The promise with Noshiro? Yeah, that always happens, I tend to forget the time...
- Genki Girl: Easily the loudest and most outgoing of her class, comparable to Kongou.
- Heavy Sleeper: She is normally sleeping if she is appointed as secretary.
- I Regret Nothing: If she gets sunk.Agano: Again.... Agano leaves before everyone else? Well, that's okay, I worked pretty hard this time... bye bye.
- The Slacker: Not that she admits it.Agano: I-I'm not slacking off! I'm just adding an entry to the Admiral's log!
- Third-Person Person: Frequently refers to herself by her own name.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry prepared by Noshiro. Or at least that's what Noshiro claims.
Voiced by: Yuki Yamada
- "2nd light cruiser of the Agano-class, Noshiro, has arrived. Glad to meet you!"
- Big Little Brother: She is portrayed to be more mature than the slacker Agano. Kumano even mistook her for the secretary ship because she was doing all the work while Agano, the actual secretary, was just loafing off.Fubuki: (in the 4koma, to herself) That's more like "nursing" than "helping"...
- Big Sister Worship: For Agano. Not to the extent of Yamashiro, Chikuma and Hiei, though.
- Surprisingly, it turns out in her marriage line that she loves the Admiral more.
- Braids of Action: Easy to miss, but she ties her hair in a pair of braids.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Towards the Admiral. Implied in her idle line but confirmed in her marriage line.Noshiro: "Admiral, sorry to bother you at such a busy time. There's something that I've wanted to say to you...Everyone thinks that I just want to care for sis Agano, but I... I really... want to care for the Admiral... I think... Really! This is like a dream! Admiral! Noshiro will do her best!"
- One-Note Cook: She declares it in her hourly notification.Noshiro: Ah, I was found out, huh. The truth is, Noshiro can't cook anything except curry.
- Third-Person Person: The same ways as Agano, though less frequently.
Voiced by: Yuki Yamada
- "Light Cruiser Yahagi, reporting for duty. Let's work at it together to the end, Admiral!"
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: She is the other responsible ship of the Agano-class.
- Hair Decorations: A red hair tie.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Invokes this when the Admiral proposes to her in her wedding line.Yahagi: Wha, Admiral, you... Just what are you doing? That face, it's got such a serious expression... Eh, this is for me? Not for someone like Yamato or Yukikaze? For me!? W-what should I do... erm.. What should I do... it's for me...
- Lady and Knight: Popular among fandom as the knight to Yamato's lady. *
- Lightning Bruiser: Basically the second-strongest pure Light Cruiser (upon full modernization) in the game, behind a similarly-modernized Jintsuu in her Kai-2 form. Also considered the strongest among her sisters, in consideration of her role in Operation Ten-Go.
- Not Afraid to Die: If she gets sunk.Yahagi: That's enough, get away from me... I can see Yamato and Yukikaze again... that's not so bad...
- Rare Random Drop: To a ridiculous degree, such that the only way to get her prior to the implementation of Large Ship Construction was at the boss node node of E-5, during the Fall 2013 event, announced and implemented suddenly at the last week of such event, after many players have run out of resources, together with the extremely hard E-5, creates general frustration among players. This incident is the most notorious among Special Events even today. Yahagi is initially a rarity 6 (rainbow background) ship girl, rarer than her sisters at rarity 5. And after her remodel, she takes two steps up and becomes a rarity 8 (sakura-hologram background) ship. Only the Yamato sisters, Hiryuu in her Kai-2, and later Iowa Kai (a variation with her Star-holo background) can claim a similar level rarity.
- The Stoic: Talks with a stern militaristic tone (which is a surprising rarity given the game's theme). She does, however, show a more mundane side to her when she mentions the burgers at her home place (Sasebo). She's often depicted as going along with the Operation Ten-Go without hesitation due to this.
- Stop Poking Me!: Completely averted. Like Kinugasa, she wants to poke the admiral back.Yahagi: Haha, interesting. If you want to do thi~s, then maybe I'll do the same then, how about that?
Voiced by: Yuki Yamada
- "Pyan♪ The fourth Agano-class Light Cruiser, Sakawa! Commander, nice to meet you!"
- Big Sister Worship: She seems to really like Yahagi.
- Born Lucky: She has the highest luck among her sisters, being the Sole Survivor of the class. This is also offset with her slightly lower stats and her lack of unique gear after remodel.
- Genki Girl: Like her sister Agano, if not much more so.
- Repressed Memories: Implied with one of her secretary lines.Sakawa: Commander! I like you! Cross...roads? What's that? I don't know what it is...but don't think I like it! *
- Sole Survivor: Of the Agano-class, she was the only one to make it through WWII. Historically, she hadn't even finished construction before Agano and Noshiro were sunk.
- Verbal Tic: "Pya", "Pyan" and other similar sounds.
Sakawa: Commander, I'm always saying things like "Pyuuu!" or "Pyaaaa!" to you but...what I was actually trying so hard to say was I'm really thankyouthankyouthankyou!...eh? You can understand? Really!? I love you too! Pyaaaa~!
- In her marriage line, she mentions that she uses it to express her feelings, mostly gratitude, towards the Admiral.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese), Madeleine Morris (English)
- "Admiral, Light Cruiser Ooyodo has joined the battle lines. Please leave the fleet administration and supervision to me. "
- Ascended Extra: Like Akashi before her, Ooyodo started out as an NPC.
- Hair Decorations: A blue hairband.
- Happy Holidays Dress/Holiday Mode: Her in-game sprites gained a traditional furisode for New Years 2015 and a yukata for the Fall 2015 season. The Christmas 2015 season gave her new Santa outfits for her default, Kai, and quest menu sprites. It should be noted that, by October 2016, Ooyodo has the highest number of CG set for single ship in the game.
- Meganekko: Since she is typically seen as the serious manager type with her Mission Control and Quest Giver jobs, it makes sense that her charm point is her glasses.
- Mission Control: She has been doing this at the start of each event since AL/MI. Also in the anime as well.
- As a command ship, she also comes with the Fleet Command Facility after remodeling, which proves to be valuable when one of the ships in a Combined Fleet were heavily damaged, allowing the said ship to be towed out at the expense of one of the destroyers from the escort fleet being unavailable for the remainder of the sortie, saving the fleet from costly retreats during the events.
- The reason for this is that she was the latest IJN Combined Fleet flagship, specifically designed for being one. note
- Necessary Drawback: Like Yuubari, she has 4 equipment slots except that Ooyodo is more durable, has offensive and defensive capabilities equivalent to the Agano-class ships (with the exceptions listed below), has the highest LOS among the Light Cruisers and carries the most seaplanes amongst Light Cruisers, allowing her to perform artillery shelling. In return for those, her maxed torpedo and ASW stats are extremely low and are even naturally 0, owing to never having equipped torpedoes and depth charges to the profit of seaplanes, historically.
- Though she remained the most durable light cruiser with 4 equipment slots, her low base ASW stats prevented her from performing pre-emptive ASW even with the best equipment available* .
- Not the Intended Use: She was meant not to be a submarine killer, but (see Yuubari above, for huge ASW equipment buff) if and only if you have best ASW equipment, her ASW capacity would surpass even Isuzu Kai 2, surpassed only by Yuubari and Katori-class training cruisers. Also more suitable for 5-4 drum-carrying, but not AA-ASW hybrid task for the aforementioned weaknesses.
- Quest Giver: Her NPC role is to basically hand out and take note of composition, sortie, and other sorts of quests.
- Rare Random Drop: Like Akashi, she cannot be crafted and is only obtainable from event map drops prior to the introduction of World 1-6. While the map itself is comparatively easier than other Extra Operations, the nodes that has her as a possible drop are preceded by a submarine and airstrike node, with the latter gives away D-rank unless if you bring along ships that can bring fighter aircraft, which the destroyer routes discriminate against. Additionally, the aforementioned node only drops her under a specific enemy formation* and has a chance of not dropping any ships at all even with an S-rank victory on top of her rainbow-rarity. She's also available as a drop at the Map 6-3 boss node as well. However, the boss node is much tougher as it entails sending your light fleet fighting against a fleet with battleships and Destroyer Princess.
- She's Got Legs: And her Zettai Ryouiki clearly emphasizes them. But it's her damaged Fall seasonal art that really shows them off.
- Target Spotter: Her high Line of Sight stat lets her become this.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black and enclosed in white open-toed "geta"-styled boots.
The Katori-class (Training Cruiser)
- Experience Booster: As training cruisers, they provide a significant boost on experience gain when they are in a fleet used in naval exercises, regardless of their position but giving more when one of them is the flagship. There is also a 24-hour expedition where one of them must be the flagship that yields sizable experience.
- Hot Teacher: Both are designated Training Cruisers, and both can give some of the fleet girls a run for their money in the looks and "displacement" department.
- Joke Character: They have pitiful combat stats with by far the lowest maxed stats among cruisers and they are the only cruisers with "Slow" speed. This stems from the fact that as training cruisers, they weren't intended to actually go into actual combat. However, war attrition forced Japan to use them in actual combat. Out of the three Katori-class ships, only Kashima, listed below, survived the war. Katori was sunk at Truk with all hands lost after being attacked by USS Iowa and Kashii was sunk by airplanes.
- In game, this is compensated by giving them 4 equipment slots. By being the Sole Survivor, Kashima also has somewhat stronger stats than Katori, with a significantly stronger AA.
Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- "I'm Training Cruiser Katori. Don't worry, because I'll teach you various stuff... gently."
- Flanderization: Sometimes is shown to be more of a S&M sort than she actually is.
- Meganekko: Sports an obloid pair (see pic).
- Repressed Memories: Her idle secretary line has her saying "Sometimes it goes past one's mind... That we were fighting while escaping from the enemy fleet... Um... 'Don't worry, this is just a dream'? Yes... It's just a dream." It's a likely reference to the Operation Hailstone, aka Battle of Truk Lagoon, where she (along with Maikaze & Nowaki) were being chased by the USN ships, including Iowa.
- The Tease: Did you see her introduction quote? Her third Secretary line isn't much better."Ara. Hoho. I see. Looks like you need a little discipline..."
- Whip It Good: She carries a riding crop.
Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- "Admiral, thanks for your hard work. Training Cruiser Kashima, checking in! Ufufu."
- Catch Phrase: "Ufufu♪" She also has a particularly sing-song way of saying her "Teitoku-san".
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Her hourlies are chock ripe with traces of this, from offering the Admiral a full-course breakfast up until preparing Chicken Gratin for him for dinner.
- Going Commando: Her damaged art makes it very clear that Kashima wears absolutely nothing underneath her uniform.
- Nice Hat: A dark beret, contrasting with her hatless big sister.
- Sole Survivor: As mentioned earlier, she is the only member of her class that made it out of the War.
- Tsurime Eyes: Though she doesn't have personality traits commonly associated with characters with these eyes.
Heavy Cruisers (CA)/Aircraft/Aviation Cruisers (CAV)A step up from Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers are second only to Battleships in terms of Attack Power and Armor, but still retain the speed and torpedoes of Light Cruisers. All Heavy Cruisers can equip seaplanes for scouting, but apart from remodeled Mogami-class and, given special requirements, the Tone-class (both of which get reclassified as Aircraft/Aviation Cruisers, and can launch seaplane bombers and autogyros for that role), are unable to attack subs. They are also much cheaper to maintain than Battleships.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: The go-to class when an admiral can't quite decide on a ship to fill their fleet's line-up. As of the more recent updates, the class to go to when map routing requires a "medium" fleet (meaning no battleships or any ship with a speed rating of "Slow").
- Theme Naming: All but Kako, the Mogami-class and the Tone-class* are named after Japanese mountains.
- Bare Your Midriff: They both have very, very short sailor fukus.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Furutaka and Kako have a noticeably lopsided design, with most of their equipment all stacked up on one side or the other. It becomes even more prominent in their second remodels, wherein it looks they're wearing bits and pieces taken from a suit of Power Armor.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "I'm Furutaka. I'll be happy to show you all the good points of heavy cruisers."
- Boisterous Bruiser: She takes a lot of pride about being a heavy cruiser.
- Chained by Fashion: Her second remodel has a pair of anchor chains wrapped around her body and connected to her cannon arm.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Kako, in fanworks.
- Electronic Eyes: Her left eye is a replacement, a reference to how one of her searchlights was shot out. She reveals in the 4-koma that this is indeed her searchlight but using it drains her energy. Her second remodel coming with the item but having no traces of it on her own gear confirms this idea.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Subverted; while her left eye is constantly glowing, if not outright spewing sparks, she is one of the nicest and most polite girls in the fleet and only middle of the road in terms of power.
- Hair Decorations: Inherits Kako's screw hair clips in her Kai Ni artwork.
- Hot-Blooded: Compared to the lax Kako.
- Sensual Spandex: Her Kai Ni art has her don a black bodysuit under her clothes in place of her missing underwear.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Furutaka: Kako, sorry.... I'm going ahead...
- Took a Level in Badass: With her second remodel, she gained a significant boost to her stats but kept her incredibly low ammo and fuel consumption, giving her above average power while consuming much less than the Myoukou-class or Takao-class. The biggest improvement however, was to her artwork◊.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Greatly fears submarines. Oddly enough, a reference to a fairly minor incident in which a submarine fired torpedoes at the real-life Furutaka and missed.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "Second Furutaka-class heavy cruiser, name's Kako! Nice to meetcha!"
- Bandage Babe: Her second remodel gives black wraps around her torso, bottom, feet and wherever her gear is attached directly to her. Probably for the same reason as Furutaka's spandex.
- Berserk Button: Don't pull her super-mini short skirt.Kako (if heavily damaged): Youuu! You perverted son of a bitch!
- Calling Your Attacks"Eat this Kako special!"
- Hair Decorations: A screw-themed hairpin on her bangs, which are absent in her Kai Ni artwork, leading to her Peek-a-Bangs. She replaces it with a red ribbon tied around her ponytail.
- Heavy Sleeper / Not a Morning Person: Usually speaks in a sleepy tone, and falls asleep as soon as the fleet returns from sortie. A reference to the real life Kako's delayed construction.Kako: Stop it...so sluggish...the fitting...ah, forget it...
- Idiot Hair
- Peek-a-Bangs: In her Kai Ni Artwork.
- Sarashi: Similar to Musashi, though Kako's are much more covering and sensible.
- Shock and Awe: Her second remodel appears to have electricity arcing off her shoulders.
- Short Hair with Tail / Rapunzel Hair: More noticeable in her Kai Ni artwork than her base art.
- The Slacker: One of her idle lines has her dismiss the need to attend a strategy meeting and say that she'll just ask Furutaka about it later.
- Stop Poking Me!: She gets angry if her skirt is pulled.
- Took a Level in Badass: With her Kai Ni that hit the server on 12th of June 2015, she received a much needed stat increase, while retaining her low ammo and fuel consumption. Like her sister Furutaka, she also got absolutely stunning new artwork◊. Not bad for the one Heavy Cruiser who had a maximum remodeled base Firepower of 49* at the game's beginnings!
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- "Hi, thanks for your time, I'm Aoba! Please can I have some words!"
- Born Lucky: Her first remodel has the third highest base Luck among heavy cruisers, losing out only to Myoukou's second remodel and Prinz Eugen's remodel. Her max Luck is the same as second remodel Myoukou and loses only to Prinz Eugen's remodel. This reflects how she survived from war-start until the bombing of Kure slightly more than one week before the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, outliving all her comrades in CruDiv 6 and the Mikawa Fleet despite taking serious damage multiple times.
- Flanderization: In fandom she's depicted as being a curious and nosy reporter. Or at least more than she already is.
- Intrepid Reporter: Pretty much KanColle's answer to Aya ShameimaruHistorical reason . So far manages to avoid tabloid-style reporting (again, like Aya), but then again...Aoba: The fleet's back, could I have an interview?
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Aoba: Sunk, huh... I wanted to sink at Kure....
- Tomboy: Complete with shorts and Tomboyish Ponytail.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black, but unlike Kinugasa, Aoba doesn't wear sandals.
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "Ye~s, It's Miss Kinugasa's debut! Together with Aoba, take good care of me!"
- Declaration of Protection: Her line when you confess to her.Kinugasa: "Admiral, I want to protect you, I will grow stronger. But, if you get in trouble, please run away. I don't want to lose someone special."
- Girlish Pigtails: Which changes into a single sidetail in her Kai 2 remodel.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Implied to be given this from the Admiral in her idle line.Kinugasa: Ooooi! Oooooi!! Ah, you're not Ooi, you say? ...aah, I got glared at...
- Stop Poking Me!: Surprisingly averted.Kinugasa: "If you keep touching me, I'll touch you back~ Hey hey!"
- Took a Level in Badass: Subverted; while she has a Kai Ni remodel, she still has distinctly lower stats than other heavy cruisers that have a Kai Ni, and her equipment isn't even particularly rare. However, her second remodel is at a relatively low level 55 and she remains very resource efficient after it, so it's not all bad news for her.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black, and geta-style sandals with propellers at the back of the heels.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Their black skirts merely cover a third of their upper legs.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: A pair of white leggings to complement their white gloves.
- Purple is Powerful: Their overall color motif, as befits one of the game's most versatile class of Heavy Cruisers.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Gains a white neck scarf with black accents upon their second remodel.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "I am Myoukou, of the Myoukou-class Heavy Cruisers. Let us work on this together."
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Myoukou is curt and to the point.
- Beware the Nice Ones: According to Hatsukaze and Ashigara. The former is pretty much exaggerating it (she accidentally got bumped by Myoukou which left her crippled and open to gunfire). The latter says it herself:Ashigara: Myouko-neesan is so strong. She doesn’t look like it at first glance, but on the contrary, she's scary...
- Born Lucky: While not exactly born lucky (her base and Kai form have perfectly average Luck), her second remodel has the second highest Luck among heavy cruisers, losing out only to Prinz Eugen's remodel. This references how the real life Myoukou did survive the war in Singapore, even though she was so crippled she couldn't move and the damage she had taken was irreparable.
- Cool Big Sis: To Hatsukaze, who isn't even her sister and to Ashigara, who is.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: In fanworks, due to the Real Life collision with Hatsukaze.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: As shown in her notification lines, where she does a lot of cooking.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of hairclips at each side of her hair.
- Office Lady: Because of her Kai Ni appearance and her professional bearing, she looks like she comes out of a corporate office.
- Prim and Proper Bun: Wears her hair in a low bun (though it's only really visible in her second damage portrait) and she has a reserved and responsible personality.
- Took a Level in Badass: From the slightly stronger elder sister to the best Heavy Cruiser available in the game. What with torpedoes on par with some of the Light Cruisers and Destroyers, decent Firepower (one of two things Choukai and Haguro are slightly stronger at) and AA (she did take some practice while being stranded in Singapore as a AA battery) as well as the second highest luck amongst Heavy Cruisers. The new camouflage paint job on her ship parts and her skirt does help as well.
- Sole Survivor: The only one among her sisters that managed to end her career as a floating AA battery off Singapore.
- We Will Meet Again: If she gets sunk.Myoukou: See you... in another life... good bye.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda (Japanese), Michelle Lee (English)
- "You are my commander? I'm Nachi. I appreciate your contribution."
- Aloof Big Sister: Pretty straight and cold, but not to Myoukou's extent.
- Cool Big Sis: In fandom. Particularly to Ashigara, in her second remodel:Nachi: (Docking Line) I'll rest for a bit, but is Ashigara alright?
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Nachi: This is my end, huh... That's acceptable... Fare..thee..well...
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: As shown in Myoukou's notification lines, she and the Admiral go to drink together at midnight.Nachi: I cannot be happy with just this victory.. we can't let our guard down! Nonetheless, let's go drink all night!
- Just a Flesh Wound: If gets moderately damaged:Nachi: A wound like this... It's nothing.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tied in a long Tomboyish Ponytail. Same ponytail splits into two with the second remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Somewhat. Her second remodel definitely improves her stats, and gives her the best anti-air and view range stats of the four sisters. However, she's generally considered the weakest of the four overall after their upgrades. Also, she has a pretty tough personality to begin with, so she can't really get more assertive than she is.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda (Japanese), Kristi Rothrock (English)
- "I'm Ashigara. My specialty is surface combat. Nice to meet you."
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loud, excitable, and very keen to get into the thick of things.
- Character Tic: Her constant use of the word "victory".Ashigara: Ah, it's natural consequence with me, Ashigara! A great victory!
- Her speciality of making katsu curry also stems from this.note
- Christmas Cake: Her characterization in fanworks. Her "Hungry Wolf" nickname (as she's always hungry for victory) has been interpreted by Japanese fans to mean that she's always on the look out for men. Poked fun of in the anime, where Kisaragi initially mentions that she's suffered yet another failed mixer and didn't land a guy. Three episodes later this happens again, where she turns an otherwise fun curry-making contest into Serious Business of incredible proportions due to her belief that getting first place would prove that she deserves to get married already. Take note, her opponents are technically kids.
- Cute Little Fangs: Grows a pair with her second remodel, to help with the wolf motif.
- Hair Decorations: A white hairband.
- Hot-Blooded: Just see her lines.Ashigara: It's time for a sortie! Battle... VICTORY is calling for me!
- Lethal Chef: Downplayed; her curry causes heartburns to the Admiral. As the anime reveals, Ashigara's idea of curry is closer to the subcontinental Indian style (read: incredibly spicy) than the comparatively mild version many Japanese (and in this case, Nagato) are used to.Ashigara: Eehhh! My katsu curry caused heartburn! H-how did this happen?!
- Red Baron: The Hungry Wolf. Not because she's always hungry (that's Akagi), but because of her need to claim victory. Of course, it gets another interpretation (See Christmas Cake entry)
Ashigara: I am the Ashigara that participated in the English fleet review, you know. I was acknowledged as the 'Hungry Wolf'. But of course! With this fearless body! Eh? That's got nothing to do with my sex appeal? Theres... no way that's right!
- Appropriated Appellation: The origins of the nickname are less than flattering: it came from the 1937 Spithead coronation naval review, where the British got to take a look at the living conditions of japanese sailors. The Japanese thought it was a compliment, and so does Kancolle's Ashigara.
- Took a Level in Badass: Like Myoukou and Haguro before her, she has a significant boosts to her stats with her second remodel. Unlike the two of them, she comes stock with three 20.3cm #2 turrets instead of two and a radar, giving low-end battleship-grade firepower on an otherwise smaller ship.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda (Japanese), Kristen Lee (English)
- "I'm Haguro. I'm the youngest of the Myoukou-class heavy cruiser sisters. U-um... I'm sorry!"
- Apologizes a Lot: Her crippling insecurity makes her assume that the Admiral noticing her means she's done something wrong.Haguro: C-commander? ...I'm sorry!
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Haguro: After this battle is over... T-together with the Commander...! Erm... Ummm... Errrmm...
- Hair Decorations: A hairclip.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Prone to give this from time to time.Haguro: I... don't need to receive this kind of strength...
- Odd Friendship: Bob, her artist, generally likes to have her being close to Naka in promotional arts despite the fact that historically and both from in-game lines they barely met.
- Shrinking Violet: She sounds like an easily-frightened mouse most of the time. All the more surprising, given her ship class.
Haguro: Fourth ship of the Myoukou-class heavy cruisers, Haguro. Together with everyone, I will support the front lines!
- Now with her Kai 2 upgrade coming through, her artwork depicts her looking much more confident, and her introduction line reflects it too.
- Tears of Joy: Which appears to be constant with her new remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Outside from the occasional CA buff, with her new remodel, she is now the second strongest pure CA in the game which like Jintsuu, comes with an additional level in assertiveness.
- Custom Uniform / Nonuniform Uniform: Takao and Atago wear similar greenish-blue military-style uniforms and berets, but with different legwear and minor colour differences here and there. Maya and Choukai wear sailor uniforms with blue blouses, white miniskirts and red scarves, with the blouses being changed to abbreviated versions of Takao and Atago's and gaining berets on second remodel.
- Miss Fanservice: Takao and Atago moreso, but all 4 sisters are easy on the eyes (especially with Maya and Choukai's second remodels.)
- Nice Hat: Takao and Atago wear berets. Maya and Choukai start out hatless but gain similar ones to their sisters on second remodel.
Artist: Mikoto Akemi
Voiced by: Nao Touyama (Japanese), Jamie Marchi (English)
- "Good morning. I'm Takao. It's great that you look like a capital Admiral."
- Buxom Is Better: A point of contention for Tone in-universe, and the main reason for the sheer number of Rule 34 Takao and her sister Atago are the subject of in the fandom.Historical reason
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Takao: I am... sinking, huh... Goodbye... Admiral...
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: It's implied in her conversation with Haguro in the Shimakaze manga that Takao's the responsible sister. Further solidified with her Christmas and Pre-New Year lines, being the Responsible Sibling to Atago's foolish one.
- Going Commando: Her damaged art makes it pretty clear that she's not wearing anything underneath. Bizarrely, this includes her garter straps being connected to nothing at all. Doesn't count as Vapor Wear because her undamaged attire, on the other hand, is decent and doesn't make it obvious.
- Only Sane Man: Takao is portrayed as the level-headed member of her fleet in the Shimakaze manga, and quite possibly to her sister as well. At one point, they even get into an argument about breast comparisons and how they are attracting the Admiral (see historical note above for reason).
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue oni to Atago's red in the Shimakaze manga. Ironically, their shoe (and eye) colors are the other way around.
- Sole Survivor: The only one among her sisters that limped away from the Battle of Leyte Gulf, and like Myoukou, ended her career as a floating AA battery off Singapore.
- Stocking Filler: Unlike Atago, who wears tights, Takao has seaplane-themed garter clips holding up her stockings.
- Those Two Girls: With Atago, due to the two of them being sisters and having similar outfits. Also with Myoukou, since both of them are the nameships of their heavy cruiser classes who had similar fates (see Sole Survivor above), to the point that Pixiv has the tag "妙高雄", a portmanteau of the kanji for their names, for pics of the two of them together.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with her black, lacy leg socks.
Artist: Mikoto Akemi
Voiced by: Nao Touyama (Japanese), Kristi Kang (English)
- "I'm Atago, Admiral, please remember it, okay?"
- Buxom Is Better: Has an impressive pair of goodly-sized... fuel tanks.
- Catch Phrase: "Pan-paka-paaan," which she shouts out during equipment changes. The fandom ran with it and made it her catchphrase, and the anime solidified it.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: According to Takao in Shimakaze Girl of the Whirlwind.
- Gainaxing: The most blatant offender in the anime adaptation: her bosom makes a bouncing sound during Fubuki's Funbag Airbag moment in episode 2, then she gets a few seconds of focus (particularly on the same spot) during the Beach Episode. The latter segment is even brought up in a conversation by DesDiv6 in episode 11, complete with the aforementioned Catch Phrase as sound effect.
- Genki Girl: She is a very cheery person, contrasting with dour Takao, Hot-Blooded Maya and literally calculative Choukai.
- Perpetual Smiler: She is often giggling and smiling.Atago: I'm getting stronger! *giggle*
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears these, in contrast to Takao's stockings and garterbelt.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Fandom assumes that Atago has bigger breasts than◊ Yamato.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Takao's blue in the Shimakaze manga.
- Those Two Girls: With Takao, due to the two of them having similar outfits.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Yo! Name's Maya, nice to meet you."
- Anti-Air: While good even before her second remodel, that upgrades her anti-air capability to one of the absolute best in the game, complete with the second best stat (after AA destroyer Akizuki) and top-quality AA equipment. When her second remodel was implemented in the game, a quest requiring her was added, "Sortie the Remodeled Anti-Air Heavy Cruiser", which gives additional AA equipment.
- Bare Your Midriff: More prominent in fandom. And in her Kai Ni artwork.
- Boisterous Bruiser: It rivals Kitakami.Maya: Isn't it obvious? I'm Maya-sama, you know?
- Declaration of Protection: Her line in her 2nd upgrade, telling you stay behind her.Maya: If you're afraid, just hide behind me. I'm the air defense cruiser Maya-sama! Okay, let me handle this! Just hide behind me!
- Hair Decorations: She and Choukai share "radar mast" hairbands. Maya also has a cross hairpin on one of her bangs. In her 2nd upgrade, Maya swaps the "radar mast" with AA Director-like antennas.
- Hot-Blooded: Very eager and talks with passion.
- The Lad-ette: Has the personality of a stereotypical crude and uncouth seaman.Maya: Hey you, you've gone and made me mad, huh.
- Necessary Drawback: Her firepower actually drop slightly after Kai Ni, a reference of how one of her main turrets is removed to make room for more AA guns.
- The Prankster: The Side:Kongou drama CD established her as one, trying to switch around the Kongou-class sisters' headbands as payback for eating Hiei's "unique" curry. That didn't work well of course.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Choukai's girly.
- Took a Level in Badass: As to be expected from the Kai Ni update she received on March 13, 2015. Her Anti-Air stat is second only to Akizuki at the time at 106, her Armor and Torpedo stats are very solid, and to top things off, her new artwork looks amazing. All this awesomeness however is only achievable at the remodel level of 75, which is the highest amongst the Heavy Cruisers, equivalent to the remodel level of three out of four Kongou-class battleships.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "I am Choukai. My best regards."
- Bare Your Midriff: Unlike Maya, Choukai's bare midriff is very obvious even in the official art.
- Blood from the Mouth: Her pre-Kai Ni damaged art has her bleeding from the mouth.
- Hair Decorations: Same type of hairband as Maya, but hers was actually broken off by Maikaze in the 4-koma. They are replaced with different model after Kai 2.
- If My Calculations Are Correct: Prone to this in many of her lines, likely to contrast with Maya's "rush into things without thinking" way of doing things.Choukai: Just as my calculations predicted. Of course, the commander's strategies were part of it.
- Meganekko: The only one among her sisters wearing them at that.
- Necessary Drawback: She needs a blueprint for Kai Ni upgrade, the only normal heavy cruiser to need it. This reflects the fact that the historical Choukai was almost constantly in action and thus never had time for a refit.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Despite never receiving any upgrades, Choukai accomplished more than any of her sisters ever did during WWII. Maya attributes her performance to her being a "Glasses Character", because it means she's much smarter than everyone else.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Her sinking line:Choukai: This is... a mistake in my calculations.... I'm sorry...
- Took a Level in Badass: Received her Kai Ni on 27th March 2015. At her second remodel, she is the most powerful heavy cruiser in the game with 85 Firepower* and 86 torpedo* stats, and comes with rare equipments, including the Skilled Lookouts and a small surface radar. However, since this upgrade wasn't implemented historically, she needs a blueprint for the aforementioned upgrade, making her the only normal* heavy cruiser that needs it.
- Born Unlucky: All of them save for Mogami start with below average luck. This refers to their numerous design flaws as the designers tried to cram as much power in them as the London Naval Treaty permited for light cruisers.
- Not the Intended Use: Meant to carry weapons/planes. Made to carry drums for 5-4, as they have 4 slots and 4+ drums are needed to easily reach the boss. There are only 2 ships that are not CAVs that can carry 4 drums (Yuubari and Ooyodo) but both are unsuitable for various reasons. The former is too fragile for the task, while the latter has a pitifully low torpedo stat.
- Rare Random Drop: Except for Mogami, the other three are hard to craft and drop only at boss nodes of certain stages.
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Lynsey Hale (English)
- "I'm Mogami. It's alright, I won't collide with anyone this time. Really!"
- Affectionate Nickname: Mikuma refers to Mogami as "Mogamin". The fans soon follow suit.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Becomes one after being remodeled into an aircraft cruiser.Mogami: This is my true power, dude. 'cause I'm something like the pioneer of the helicopter destroyers, you know?
- Bokukko: And the actual tomboy of the game.
- Boyish Short Hair: Comes with the tomboy image.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In fandom, to contrast with the graceful Mikuma.
- The Klutz: She always crashes into other ships, a fact that she is aware of.Mogami: Yeah, yeah, I've got a habit of blowing the other ships out of the water, I wonder why?
- Those Two Girls: With the more refined Mikuma.
- Tomboy: The straightest example out of all the characters. She wears shorts, has Boyish Short Hair, uses the masculine pronoun "boku" to refer to herself, and is a Boisterous Bruiser after being remodeled, essentially making her the least feminine character in the game.
- Took a Level in Kindness: To the Admiral after being remodeled.
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "Greetings, I'm Mikuma. I wonder where Mogami could be hiding?"
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Mikuma: Admiral, for taking such great care of me up until now, my gratitude is boundless. Umm.. If it's okay, afterwards, together with Mikuma…. Kumarinko!
- Character Tic: Her propensity to play with the -kuma segment of her name, and insert it into her lines. It doesn't count as a Verbal Tic however, as unlike, say, CL Kuma, she doesn't end all her lines with it.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To the laidback Mogami.
- Girlish Pigtails: Matches well with the way she speaks.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of red ribbons.
- In-Series Nickname: Calls herself Kumarinko. As shown in Mogami's hourlies, it seems that Mogami also calls her this way.
- Keigo: Speaks very formally, to contrast with the tomboy Mogami.
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt
- "I'm Suzuya! What a lively fleet it is. I'll be in your care!"
- Automatic Crossbow: Like Taihou, she uses crossbow with top-mounted magazine as her launcher when she's in her Carrier mode.
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Suzuya: "A~dmira~l! It's a bit of a serious talk, but thanks for taking a ship like Suzuya this far! Again, 'grats...eh..ah...umm...anyway, as always, please take care of me!"
- Fanservice Pack: At her upgrade as an aircraft cruiser.
- Hidden Buxom: As a result of her holding up that newly added flight deck. She actually seems smaller until she gets Clothing Damage.
- Genki Girl: Acts like a stereotypical high school teen.
- Oh, Crap!: If she gets sunkSuzuya: "C-crap... my torpedo tube, exploded...? That... could be bad..."
- Took a Level in Badass: Her Kai Ni upgrades her stat to the point where she surpasses the Tone-class in offensive power AND gives her more plane slots to boot. In addition to that, she also has alternate remodel that changes her into a Light Carrier which kept all her survivability as an Aviation Cruiser, 56 Firepower (higher than Akagi by 2 points), has target priority that focus on taking down surface targets first instead of submarines, and has combat range of Medium! The downside is that to remodel her into Kai Ni you need a blueprint...and every time you want to change her into Light Carrier you need another blueprint (though you don't need blueprint if you decide to change her from Light Carrier into Aviation Cruiser). That, and the fact as Light Carrier she has the third lowest plane count in the game, just above Ryuuhou and Houshou.
- Valley Girl: Suzuya also speaks in a relaxed and informal slang.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Striped kneesocks that go above her knee.
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcutt
- "Good day to you. I am the heavy cruiser Kumano."
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In her 3 o'clock notification line.Kumano: 3 o'clock, yes? I am refreshed after my nap, so in study, work or Kancolle, I will be of the utmost efficiency.
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: Kumano has a very strange battlecry, which makes her sound, among other things, like a dolphin.
- Keigo: Speaks very formally, to contrast with the tomboy Suzuya. She also doesn't speak the hourly in the "number x 4" format like the others, but a simple "number o'clock".
- The Ojou: Her lines and way of speaking point to her being raised in a privileged household.
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Kumano: To sink in such a place... I wanted to wear cute clothes and eat Kobe beef... in my birthplace of Kobe...
- Sheltered Aristocrat: The fact that she's amazed at a simple sandwich bought at a convenience store says a lot.Kumano: "Admiral? These "Convenience store" sandwiches, this is the first time I have had them. They are unexpectedly good... Ah, 1 o'clock."
- Vanity Is Feminine: Several of her lines talk about keeping her beauty.Kumano: 1 o'clock? My skin will get bad. Do you intend to pose a challenge to my good looks?
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Both Tone and Chikuma wear a single stocking on their left legs. Upon their remodel, each of them gains a single long glove as well.
- Going Commando: Both sisters gain a long skirt with a very high slit with their second remodel. Unfortunately, all that slit does is make it painfully obvious how both Tone and Chikuma aren't wearing any panties — not even the side-tie bikinis that Tatsuta, Akashi, or Yamato use.
- Not the Intended Use: On their second remodels, they become aviation cruisers, which not only allows them to carry bomber seaplanes, but drums canisters as well.
- Another equipment that an aviation cruiser are capable of equipping is the Skilled Carrier-based Aircraft Maintenance Personnel. While it was intended to extend the firepower and range effectiveness of the aircraft carriers, equipping them on aviation cruisers practically turns them into pocket battleships, with effective night battle firepower capable of giving even Choukai and Myoukou-class cruisers at their second remodel a run for the money.
- She's Got Legs: Both are considered notable for their legs, which their 2nd remodel outfit highlights very well.
- Target Spotter: Both Tone and Chikuma have the longest Spotting ranges of any Heavy Cruiser, which is very useful for getting pre-battle Scouting bonus to Accuracy and Evasion and getting artillery spotting to trigger. With their second remodels, they have the highest maximum spotting range in the game, only surpassed by Second Remodel Shoukaku-class.
- Vapor Wear: Whether or not the Tone-class second remodel outfit includes underwear or not has been a subject of debate since its introduction, though some official work like the Someday in the Calm Seas manga seems to go with no-panties route.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi (Japanese), Skyler McIntosh (English)
- "I am Tone! With my addition to the fleet, there will be no problems searching out the enemy!"
- A-Cup Angst: In the 4-koma.Tone: Aren't we all Heavy Cruisers?!?
- Yet it's her slim figure that helps her stand out to fans.
- Antiquated Linguistics: She talks in an antiquated masculine register for some reason, using "wagahai" to refer to herself.
- Boisterous Bruiser: In the 4-koma she likes boasting about herself and making her sound tough.
- Butt Monkey: Tone is prone to make a fool of herself in most of her seasonal lines and 4-koma apparitions, due to her Small Name, Big Ego.
- Cool Big Sis: To Chikuma. However it's onesided and Tone sees her as a rival.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Has a onesided one with Chikuma. Chikuma wants to protect Tone and babies her, but Tone believes that Chikuma looks down on her as a result.Tone: Not yet, not yet..! I won't lose to Chikuma!
- Hypocritical Humor: In her White Day line she makes fun of the Admiral for carrying white day cookies around, claiming that he/she looks childish.....only to start squeeing like a little girl after the Admiral gives cookies to her.
- Little Big Sister: Noticeably shorter than Chikuma, which probably doesn't help with the above rivalry. She's also more immature and childish compared to her.
- Mega Twintails: Long ones down to her waist.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Especially in the 4-koma and some of her seasonal lines.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi (Japanese), Whitney Rodgers (English)
- "Pleased to meet you. Second of the Tone-class, Chikuma."
- Beware the Nice Ones: As shown in the 4koma, even she gets fed up with Tone's antics.
- Big Little Sister: She's taller and bigger than Tone. Also, she's more mature and often has to take care of her. Such as apologizing to the Admiral after Tone eats all the chocolates in her Valentine seasonal line.
- Big Sister Worship: Unlike Yamashiro and Hiei, who look up to their big sisters, Chikuma wants to protect Tone, much to the latter's chagrin.
- Declaration of Protection: She wants to protect Tone, but the latter believes that because of this, she does not see her as the big sister.Chikuma: Why am I so strong? There's a person that I want to protect. *giggle*
- Unknown Rival: To Tone. Chikuma is oblivious to this, though.
- You Remind Me of X: After getting married, she tells the Admiral that he/she reminds her of Tone because of his/her kindness.Chikuma: Admiral? I appreciate your kindness. You're just like Tone-neesan. Fufu