open/close all folders
Wataru Kurenai/Kamen Rider Kiva
- Live actor: Koji SetoSuit actor: Seiji Takaiwa
- All Your Powers Combined: DoGaBaKi Form. The Hyper Battle DVD takes this Up to Eleven with DoGaBaKi Emperor Form.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Taiga's Veronica for Mio's Archie.
- Cultured Badass: He'll kick your ass, then go back to playing his violin.
- Dark is Not Evil
- The Dreaded: Nago, Shima and Megumi speak of Kiva as a terrifying, mysterious spectre who preys on humanity, when he is in fact a meek shut-in whose hobbies include taking baths and collecting bizarre smelly items for the purpose of making violins. It helps that Wataru basically never speaks as Kiva, leading to his reputation as a silent killer as opposed to The Quiet One.
- Elemental Powers
- Extreme Doormat: Wataru's often subscribed to magazines he doesn't want and buys things that he doesn't need because he doesn't like refusing others. Of course, Character Development has helped him for the better.
- Finishing Move
- Kiva Form: (Rider Kick) Darkness Moon Break
- Garulu Form: (Rider Slash) Garulu Howling Slash
- Basshaa Form: (Rider Shooting) Basshaa Aqua Tornado
- Dogga Form: (Rider Thrust) Dogga Thunder Slap
- DoGaBaKi Form: (Rider Kick) A stronger version of the Darkness Moon Break.
- Emperor Form
- (Rider Kick) Emperor Moon Break
- (Rider Slash) Emperor Howling Slash
- (Rider Shooting) Emperor Aqua Tornado (While never shown in series, it was shown in Kamen Rider: Battride War)
- (Rider Thrust) Emperor Thunder Slap
- (Rider Slash) Final Zanvat Slash
- Flight Style: Bloody Strike
- DoGaBaKi Emperor Form: (Rider Kick) DoGaBaKi Emperor Break
- Furo Scene: Wataru has a scene in a bath basically Once an Episode.
- The Hero
- Half-Human Hybrid: Dhampyr-like; Wataru himself didn't know until #36. Though it should be noted that unlike most Dhampyrs in fiction, his mother is the vampire parent.
- Hybrid Power: His Fangire side allows him to become Kiva and his human side prevents him from feeling the urge to drain human life energy. However, the fact that he is only half-Fangire also prevents him from being able to utilize the full power of Kiva. This is illustrated by the chains binding his Rider form. Furthermore, his human blood keeps his Fangire side in line; if let loose, Wataru becomes more or less an animal as shown in #39 and #40.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.
- Hikikomori: Bat pun aside, this is Wataru at the beginning of the series. He improves, then regresses after the death of a loved one, only to come back stronger.
- His Heart Will Go On: Mio encourages Wataru to live on after her death, and, as indicated by the epilogue, in the future, Wataru has a son with an unknown woman.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: A half-Fangire, half-human who fights full-blooded Fangires.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: DoGaBaKi Form
- Multiform Balance
- Shrinking Violet: He eventually grows out of it.
- The Southpaw: In Garulu Form.
- Talking with Signs: Wataru initially communicates with a notebook full of pre-written responses. At one point Megumi asks something like "You can't have a response for everything in there!" When Wataru starts actually looking for a response, she takes it away from him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Besides the standard Next Tier Power-Up, he goes from a shut-in who thinks he's "allergic to the world" to a professional monster killer, and then takes it one step further by declaring himself the new Fangire King near the end.
- Weapon of Choice: Garulu Saber in Garulu Form, Basshaa Magnum in Basshaa Form, and Dogga Hammer in Dogga Form.
- Later obtains the Zanvat Sword for use with Emperor Form.
- Vampire Hunter: Basically what Kiva does as a Kamen Rider.
Kivat-bat the 3rd
- Voice actor: Tomokazu Sugita
- Deadpan Snarker: Kivat is one snarky fellow.
- Magic Music: Uses "fuestles" to summon Wataru's form-change weapons.
- Older Sidekick
- Transformation Trinket: His race is built for it, after all.
- Live actor: Nana Yanagisawa
- Big Eater: Even if she's a model...
- Faux Action Girl: Usually gets one-upped by Fangires to become the Distressed Damsel for Kiva or Ixa to save. She does have a moment where she Took a Level in Badass and upgrades to an Action Girl after the Rook arc.
- Informed Attractiveness: Megumi's a model and has been stalked by not one, but two Fangires, both of whom find her attractive, but she's just as good-looking as the rest of the cast on the show.
- Official Couple: With Nago.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She loves fish. She even first meets Wataru when the latter tries to take a fish bone from her plate.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Like Yuri, she doesn't seem to like dogs very much.
- Live actor: Rina Koike
- The Atoner: When Shizuka feels bad about causing a rift between Wataru and Mio, she tries her best to get them to make up.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Shizuka turns into a Green-Eyed Monster around Wataru and Mio.
- Hidden Depths: She might not look like it, but she's good at drumming.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Only learns that Wataru is Kiva in the final episode, though she does know about Kivat, and even Tatsulot after he joins up.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Parental Substitute: Shizuka considers herself to be Wataru's "mommy."
- Yandere: Sort of.
- Live actor: Keisuke Kato
- Berserk Button: Anything involving the denial of the buttons, and he doesn't really like music.
- Bounty Hunter
- Catch Phrase: "Fangire, return that life to God!"
- Good Is Not Nice: He's one of the good guys, but has a very rude personality early on.
- Nago being at his worst is how he killed his own father. He was a police chief who committed procedural errors that got a criminal acquitted, errors that Nago himself exposed to the media with no pity, no less, and drove him to commit suicide out of shame.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When Kiva beats him the first time. It takes a Fangire regarding him as Not Worth Killing to send him over the edge.
- Jerkass: Oh boy, is he ever! It takes Nago finding out Wataru is Kiva to become more of a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Knight Templar: At first.
- Never My Fault
- Official Couple: With Megumi.
- The Rival: To Kiva, at first. It gets a bit annoying when he's rather friendly to Wataru but initially antagonistic to Kiva.
- Serious Business: To the extent that he'll memorize everyone's orders during the group date in #21, just because.
- The Stoic: Becoming The Comically Serious on occasion.
- Vampire Hunter
- Live actor: Kouhei Kumai
- Career-Ending Injury: When Kengo temporarily joins the Blue Sky Organization, a Fangire injures his arm severely to the point where he can no longer play the guitar and has to end his dreams of being a rock star.
- Jumped at the Call: Kengo gets the opportunity to join the Blue Sky Organization when Megumi is arrested.
- Important Haircut: When Kengo comes back to the show as a Jerkass.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Except... he really isn't.
- The Rock Star: He wants to be one of these.
- Shipper on Deck: He's the first to notice Megumi and Nago's "amazing coordination" and "spirit of rock" in #19.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Following his Fangire encounter.
Mio Suzuki/Pearlshell Fangire II
- Live actor: Yuria Haga
- Apologises a Lot
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie for Wataru's Betty and Taiga's Veronica.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Extreme Doormat
- Palette Swap
- Shrinking Violet
- Your Cheating Heart: She likes Wataru even though she's engaged to Taiga.
- Voice actor: Akira Ishida
- Catchphrase: "Tension fortissimo!"
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Transformation Trinket/Upgrade Artifact: For Emperor Form.
Taiga Nobori/Kamen Rider Saga
- Live actor: Shouma YamamotoSuit actor: Eitoku
- Barrier Warrior: Pulls this on the '86 King as an infant.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Wataru's Betty for Mio's Archie.
- Black Speech: His partner, Sagarc, is only able to speak a long forgotten Fangire language, with the exception of the words "Henshin" and "Wake Up".
- The Evil Fangire Prince: At first, it seems like this trope is played straight - he's the son of the previous Fangire King and the first Fangire Queen, he's in line for the throne, and he's set up as a villain. However, the "evil" part is first downplayed (he's more of an anti-villain than an outright Big Bad), and eventually it's outright subverted, since he decides to work towards co-existence between humans and Fangires near the end of the series.
- Finishing Move: Snaking Death Break
- I Just Want to Be Loved
- Long-Lost Relative: To Wataru - they were friends as children but had no idea they were brothers.
- Patricide: Teams up with Wataru to kill his father, King/The Bat Fangire. Unlike most examples, there is no My God, What Have I Done?, mainly because King is a total bastard.
- Transformation Trinket: Sagarc
- Royal Rapier/Whip Sword: Jacorder
- Live actor: Kouhei Takeda
- Back from the Dead: In episodes 19 and 20, though he does it by taking over Wataru's body.
- Betty and Veronica: Originally the Betty to Jiro's Veronica for Yuri's Archie, then becomes the Archie for Yuri's Betty and Maya's Veronica.
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His mastery over the violin can not be denied.
- The Casanova
- Chivalrous Pervert:
- Determinator: While transforming into Dark Kiva kills humans, Otoya manages to do it thrice.
- Deuteragonist: A rare case in Heisei Kamen Rider where the deuteragonist is not the main secondary Rider.
- Expy: To Gai Yuki (Black Condor). Both of them are womanizers in their own right. Except that he's no loner.
- Friend to All Living Things: The Mal d'Amour puppy takes a liking to him immediately. Even flowers react to his music... while Yuri just kills a whole pool of fish with hers.
- Impossible Thief: One of his more underrated skills. Not just stealing, but even planting and replacing things.
- Interspecies Romance: With Fangire Queen Maya.
- Killed Off for Real
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Posthumous Character: By 2008.
- Live actor: Yu Takahashi
- Betty and Veronica: Originally the Archie for Otoya's Betty and Jiro's Veronica, then becomes the Betty to Maya's Veronica for Otoya's Archie.
- Faux Action Girl: Gets hit by the Distress Ball to become the designated Distressed Damsel quite often.
- Posthumous Character: By 2008.
- Tsundere: Big time.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She doesn't like... puppies.
- You Killed My Mother: Yuri is dead-set on getting Revenge on Rook because her mother became a victim to one of his murderous time plays.
Kivat-bat the 2nd
- Voice actor: Tomokazu Sugita
- And Then Shima Was A Fangire
- Da Chief of the Blue Sky group
- Serious Business: His obsession with fitness borders on Bunny-Ears Lawyer at times.
Survivors of the great Fangire massacre, a Wolfen, a Franken and a Merman must put aside whatever differences they had and band together for survival.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: As mentioned before, they're all orphans with no higher purpose than revenge. If not for Otoya, they may have become a threat equal to the Fangire.
- Last of Their Kind
- Power Trio
- Really 700 Years Old
- Sealed Evil in a Can: By 2008, they've been turned into the weapons-cum-Upgrade Artifacts we know of today.
JiroThe last surviving member of the Wolfen Race. Chronologically also the first user of the IXA system.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: Able to cleave the soul from the body.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Otoya's Betty for Yuri's Archie.
- Character Tic: When transforming, he tends to kneel down and draw a line on the ground with a finger. If he's wearing Cool Shades, he'll throw them down too.
- Cool Shades: The only part of his wardrobe that isn't magic.
- If I Can't Have You...: Pulls this when Yuri leaves him for Otoya.
- The McCoy
- Playing with Fire
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Shares Kido's love of coffee and Onyanko Club as well.
- Wolf Man: Even his Wolfen form has differently-colored legs to resemble Magic Pants.
RamonThe last surviving member of the Merman Race.
- Character Tic: When he transforms, he spins around and does a cheerful pose.
- Enfante Terrible: He is the most vicious of the Arms Monsters, despite looking like a young boy.
- The Kirk
- Making a Splash: Attacks by spitting high-pressure balls of water.
- Our Mermen Are Different: His Merman form looks more like a sea monster than the usual human/fish hybrid.
- Older Than They Look: Applies to them all, but Ramon stands out for looking about 14. Also lampshaded: when he tells Yuri he's really 105 years old, she doesn't believe him.
- Sailor Fuku: Wears the male version.
- Verbal Tic: Repeating words twice, particularly "Hey, hey."note .
RikiThe last surviving member of the Franken Race.
- Battle Butler: He has the suit for it, but in action he's more of The Brute.
- Character Tic: When he transforms, he bashes his fists together.
- Hulk Speak
- Meaningful Name: His name contains the character for "power."
- Pietà Plagiarism: How he consumes souls.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Actually a highly competent masseur on the side.
- Shock and Awe: Just for cosmetic effect, though.
- The Spock
The most powerful members of the Fangire Race.
King/Bat FangireThe lord of Fangires.
- Back from the Dead: Sort of.
- Big Bad
- Karmic Death: When his attempt to kill Maya was turned against him thanks to infant Taiga.
- Predecessor Villain: By 2008.
Maya/Queen/Pearlshell Fangire I
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Yuri's Betty for Otoya's Archie.
- Broken Bird: by '08
- Dark Chick
- High-Heel–Face Turn
- Mommy had a Good Reason for Abandoning you: It's not like she wanted to leave Wataru, but her status as a fugitive due to defecting from the King would make it difficult to raise Wataru, and thus left him so he'd be free of the danger.
- Really 700 Years Old: Claims to have known Vivaldi himself.
- Scars Are Forever: in '08
- The Smurfette Principle
- The Brute
- Dramatic Irony: The first time we see him, he's living peacefully with amnesia in the present, with good things happening to him, all while events of the past reveal his true nature.
- And his normal behavior seems to hint at having already taken head injury between '86 and the mass monster killings period.
- Made of Iron: He survives all of his self-inflicted punishment - though one Game-Breaking Injury in the past not only caused his amnesia in '08, but comes back to bite him fatally. Made Of Irony?
- Panthera Awesome
- Psychopathic Manchild: Routinely makes up "games" for himself, basically boiling down to "kill a set amount of people sharing a common trait within 12 hours", with absolutely no other concerns than said game. Note also that he is pretty childish while he has amnesia.
Kamen Rider Ixa
1986 users: Jiro, Otoya, Yuri (#31)2008 users: Nago, Kengo, Megumi (#31)
- Finishing Move
- Save Mode: Broken Fang
- Burst Mode: Ixa Judgement
- Rising IXA: Final Rising Blast
- Flawed Prototype: '86 IXA, which turns into a rare all-season-long Chekhov's Gun when the flaw is exploited to defeat Rook.
- HUD: Revealed in Decade, Ixa has yellow HUD with "RETURN IT TO THE LIFE AND THE GOD" displayed on top.
- Light is Not Good: IXA's stark white appearance does nothing for the fact that we learn early on that Nago is not quite on the level. Heck, Jiro's technically one of the monsters, and Kengo Took a Level in Jerkass before he takes it over. Not to mention that a couple of Fangire get to jack it.
- Multiform Balance:
- The Power of the Sun: Whenever Ixa changes from Save to Burst Mode, it releases a burst of heat.
- Weapon of Choice
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva
1986 users: King, Otoya2008 users: Taiga
Movie Exclusive Characters
LegendorgasA race of monsters sealed up by a Kiva from long ago before being released in modern times.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Were imprisoned by Kiva I.
- The Virus: Of a sort. People attacked by Legendorgas become one themselves.
Takashi Sugimura/Kamen Rider ArcA prison convict who awakened Arc's spirit.
- Big Bad: Of The Movie
- Bring My Brown Pants:Wets himself out of fear from seeing the Legendorgas for the first time.
- Demonic Possession: Is possessed by Arc after accidentally awakening him.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Went from being a normal prisoner to ruler of the Legendorgas.
- Older Than They Look: Having Arc's spirit inside him prevented him from looking any different between 1986 and 2008.
- One-Winged Angel: Does this by absorbing the eye on the moon, transforming him into a fiery, winged demon.
- Our Giants Are Different: As Arc, he's massive, over three meters tall. Fitting, given legendary creatures are his race's theme.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Arc was sealed inside some ruins in Sugimura's prison before he found it and awakened him.
- Gratuitous English: "Go to hell!"
- Robotic Reveal: When Arc goes One-Winged Angel,his face falls off to reveal circuitry.
- Transformation Trinket
Takato Shiramine/Kamen Rider ReyAn agent working for the World Wide Wing Association.
- Finishing Move: Blizzard claw Execution.
- Half-Human Hybrid:Happens to be a Legendorgas.
- The Dragon:To Arc and the Legendorgas as a whole.