Characters: Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Haré: A young boy who lives in the jungle with his mother.
- Butt Monkey
- Break the Cutie: All the rough stuff that happens to this poor eleven year old.
- Determinator: Compared to Guu's antics normally difficult tasks are child's play to Hare. He can clean a whole house, last long after getting beat up and even keep high stamina during running races.
- Meta Guy
- Motor Mouth
- Oedipus Complex: His obsession with not letting his mother date Dr.Clive (despite the fact, that they DO have feelings for each other) (or anyone else) is steering right into this territory, and Guu lampshaded this quite a few times (her aim is, as always, to troll Haré.)
- Look at how he looked at his mother, when Guu traveled with Haré into his past to meet his mother.
- In the end, Dr. Clive and Weda did marry anyways and Haré didn't object to that.
- Only Sane Man: Only of you define sanity VERY, VERY loosely.
- Otaku: He's a bit of a video game otaku
- Spell My Name with an "S": While sometimes spelled Hale in Japan, it was localized as Hare
- The Straight Man
- Would Hit a Girl: He sometimes gives Guu a noogie or tugs her cheeks, for being a giant pain in his toches and sometime to prevent her from doing further mischief.
Guu: A mysterious being note that comes to live with Hare.
- Adorable Abomination: She pretty much has all the "Abomination" classes down.
- Berserk Button: Despite being able to push everyone else's, Guu has plenty herself. She hates people that annoy her (From the students asking questions to Wagi's annoying laugh.) Mostly she would just eat or punch out those that annoy her. She also doesn't like being touched inappropriately even if it's a medical exam. Doctor Clive learned that the hard way. Lastly, but this is rare, anyone that tries to hurt her friends. The bear attack even triggered her ability to turn into her adult form.
- Big Eater
- Combat Tentacles
- Creepy Child
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deliberately Cute Child: In her "love-me-I'm-a-cute-little-waif" form
- Eldritch Abomination and/or Humanoid Abomination
- Extreme Omnivore
- Healing Factor: She can apparently reassimilate severed body parts by eating them and regrowing the lost limb (episode 3). Most likely an extension of her reality warping power.
- Hyperspace Mallet: One of the application of her Reality Warper powers seems to being able to materialize random stuff out of nowhere, e.g. Paper Fans, Molotov Cocktails or swords.
- Inexplicably Awesome: Summed up best with this exchange.
Haré: Are you a demon?!
Guu: I'm Guu.
- Jerk Ass
- Little Miss Badass: After a bear beat up Weda pretty badly and tried to attack her, she transformed into her older persona, defeated the bear and made a fur coat from his fur and everyone had plenty of meat, guess the source.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Manipulative Bastard: She's a master at trolling Haré and other victim she chooses (although it's almost always Haré).
- Mind Control: One time she decided to give Haré a video game controller, that had the ability to control people she choose. She also choose to change the personalities of Haré's friends and family, just fo funzies.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant
- Paper Fan of Doom: Wadi was laughing incessantly and annoying the hell out of Guu (and anyone else), so she shut him up with a paper fan she pulled out of fuckin nowhere.
- Pocket Dimension: Guu has multiple dimensions in her stomach (e.g. she put some sharks, who attacked Haré in a different dimension than she put some people).
- Reality Warper
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Telepathy: Guu can read minds, mostly Haré's, and uses this knowledge to troll him. Can apparently also implant Fake Memories (in episode #10 she manipulated everyone in remembering her with too long hair, except Haré, to troll him, of course).
- Screwy Squirrel: She loves messing with people (especially Hare) for kicks.
- The Stoic
- Time Travel: She once traveled into Haré's past to teach him a lesson and/or to troll him.
- Trickster Mentor: Seems to be the primary character of Guu's interaction with Hare, though it's up for debate if he's actually better off from what he's learned.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Despite being far too young to have boobs (as far as we know her age to be, probably she's fucking with our brains again), but pulls the Elder's chesthair from there. Apparently when she does, the chesthair disappears from the Elder's chest.
- Weather Manipulation: Guu
Voiced by: Kaoru Morota (JP), Wendee Lee (EN)
Hare's carefree mother. She may have an interesting past.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: due to becoming pregnant when she was 14.
- Action Mom: She has some martial art skills.
- A-Cup Angst: An unusual version: when she became pregnant ( at the age of 14), she was afraid, that she couldn't nurse her baby due to her breasts being to small. Bell trolled her by telling, she could make her boobs bigger by rolling around in the bed, which didn't work. Later, her boobs grew to the size they're now (F-cup).
- Abusive Parents: Her father hit her and disowned her for being pregnant with Haré, which prompted her to leave her home and not come back (until she did). She was also very cross with her mother for not having the guts to stand up to her husband (until they made up).
- Cain and Abel: Because the will of her late father named her as the inheritor, her siblings tried to her have assassinated.
- Children Raise You: Haré does help out a lot, especially when she got pregnant from Dr. Clive a second time, they married and now firstborn and father had to guard their normally beer-loving mom resp. wife from falling to the temptation of drinking and harming her unborn child.
- Foreign Fanservice: Weda could be one, since in the school class Haré goes to (in "The City", where she was born) hangs an American flag (although it's also possible, that it's the room of the English class) and everyone has names common in Anglophone countries. The village also seems to be outside of Japan, since they called some Japanese dude Guu swallowed into one of her "stomachs" foreign.
- Fur Bikini
- Genre Savvy: While she is ditzy at times, she is not completely stupid when it comes to people she knows. During an episode where she tries to piece together memories of the past, she neglects to ask Bel anything. That's because she knows any interest of the past would cause her to try to convince Weda to pack and go to the big city.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Enough to be the trope image!
- Heroic Sacrifice: She was ready to do it, so a bank robber wouldn't murder her son, but luckily she was saved by some kinda super-powered Dama, the insane barber granny.
- Idiot Hair: And the personality to BOOT!
- Let's Get Dangerous: She may be an irresponsible drunk all the time, but she DID save Haré from the same bank robber two times with some kind of martial art skills.
- Mama Bear: episode 23
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- The Ditz: Very much, even though she read Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment (as seen in the episode #5 of the Deluxe series, where Guu travels with Haré in time to see his mother, when she was young and frail) as a child.
Doctor Clive Northey
A perverted doctor and Hare's long lost dad.
- Handsome Lech: He loves to chase skirts and leaves no risk-less opportunity unused to grope women, although this stops when he marries Weda after he made her pregnant again. His previous rekindling of their relationship and the subsequent marriage do seem to be motivated by genuine mutual affection and the pregnancy does only speed up the process, but doesn't start it.
- Jerk Ass: Gradually moves to the below
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Not So Different: Both Clive and Hare are known to yell their words when frequently annoyed and going crazy and Clive is one of the few people that can tell if Guu is not what she seems. Like father, like son as it turns out.
- Only One Name: Averted, but not quite: No-one refers to him by his last name, but, according to documents Haré found in his office, he has one.
- Parental Neglect: His mother was busy sleeping around and took no time to be a mother to him. This memory still bothers Dr. Clive.
- Running Gag: Whenever Bel chokes Clive to near death he finds himself in the after life talking to an old man. The old man turns out to be his grandfather who advises him to marry Weda, which he in the end does.
- Unknown Rival: To Wiggle and Bel over the affections of Weda.
A girl who goes to school with Hare. She's the teacher's younger sister and has a tendency to over dramatize things. She has a crush on Haré and has an obsession with families.
Seiichi and Tomoyo
A Japanese high school student and office lady that Guu swallowed at some point. They're oddly cheerful and extremely friendly, considering they live in the world of complete chaos that is Guu's stomach.
Chet and Addy
Chet is voiced by: Takahiro Yoshimizu (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN, credited as Kevin Hatcher)
Addy is voiced by: Emi Uwagawa (JP), Michelle Ruff (EN)
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio (JP), Yuri Lowenthal (EN)
Another Japanese office lady Guu inadvertently swallows one day while fishing (i.e., draining the ocean and keeping the fish) with Haré. She's a bit ... VERY crazy. Poor Seiichi and Tomoyo.
- Ax-Crazy: She's three fries short of a happy meal even after she isn't suicidal anymore.
- Driven to Suicide: to temper herself in hell so she can get revenge on her cheating boss as an evil ghost.
Bell and Asio
A pair of Weda's servants from her old life who come from the city to retrieve her.
- Berserk Button: Bell hates Doctor Clive and much like Hare would do anything to stop him and Weda from seeing one and other. However she goes as far as trying to kill him. Guu intentionally presses this one by not telling Bell of Weda's marriage to Clive and her pregnancy until she arrives in surprise. This drives her to the point from Laughing Mad to Tranquil Fury, when she tries to reassure Hare that she doesn't intend to harm Clive. Neither Hare or Clive believe her, especially when she's strangling the latter while further reassuring the former.
- Butt Monkey: Bell alwyas kicks Asio's ass, without reason.
- Face of a Thug: No one seems to find Asio's eyes warm.
- Imagine Spot: Bell's is Weda returning her affections.
- Incompatible Orientation: Bell clearly does have feelings for Weda, whereas Weda absolutely doesn't "swing that way".
- Jerkass: Bell is very obnoxious most of the time
- Meido: Bell is a parody
- Rant Inducing Slight: Bell
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Asio has known Weda since she was a sick little girl and seems to have some feelings for her.
- Bell could be considered to be something of this as well.
A bodyguard hired by Weda's family who escorts Weda, Hare, and Guu to the estate. He's paranoid. To say the least
- Crazy Survivalist: Robert is always on the look out for "terrorist attacks" and "assassins".
- Chekhov's Gun: His Crazy Survivalist side is often played for laughs, but it turns into Properly Paranoid when Weda's siblings try to have her killed.
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite his Trigger Happy attitude, he never let's someone inexperienced handle a live gun. He uses that to mess with Hare into thinking he accidentally shot Guu to death, when training at the shooting range.
- Drives Like Crazy: Instead of it being bad driving skills, it's due to his extreme paranoia. In his first appearance he even mistakes a couple driving behind him as undercover hitmen.
- Jerk Ass: When he is not being paranoid he and Guu pull pranks on Hare. One time he made Hare think he killed Guu.
- Trigger Happy