- Back from the Dead: Considering how inept Deaths are, this is common.
open/close all folders
his being on the run from Death...
This theme is mainly a spoof of Indiana Jones.
The Jones family
Montana (Monty) JonesThe main character of this theme. An Archaeology professor who constantly needs to fight against the Nazis to take control of powerful artifacts that the Nazis will use to conquer the world. Hates wurst.
- Embarrassing First Name: His birth name was North Dakota Jones Junior. He prefers Montana.
- No Respect Guy
- Whip It Good: Occasionally use whips.
Prof. North Dakota JonesMonty's father. Obsessed with the Holy Grail.
Minnesota JonesNorth Dakota's father, thus Monty's grandfather. Was presumably lost after he went on dinosaur chasing.
- Overly Long Name: His title? The Honourable Herr Schliemannian Chair Professor Doktor Doktor Jones, CBE, DCM, JP, FRS
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Nazi science sneers at [thing to be sneered at]! Sometimes the science part is changed too.
Colonel HakenMonty's archnemesis. Hitler-brain-in-a-jar's primary lackey when it comes to gathering powerful artifacts.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He may be a Nazi, but he enlisted to collect various Artifacts of Doom and is completely disgusted by genocide.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a scar on his face.
- Hook Hand
- High-Class Glass: Wears a monocle.
- Light Is Not Good: His uniform is light tan, while his alternate-universe good counterpart has a black uniform.
- The Millstone: When he was petrified, Hitler took over Europe easily.
ErwinHaken's main lackey. Is not really as committed to the Nazi principle as others, thus is a bit more reasonable.
Hitler's BrainHitler's Brain in a Jar. Need I say more? Anyway, he died in the Reichstag fire and his brain was put on life support by Adam Savage to win a Bet With Death. Plans to take control of powerful artifacts and take over the world.
- Brain in a Jar: Natch.
- Dark Lord on Life Support: Hitler was burnt at the Reichstag fire and is a brain in a jar.
- Ghostapo: Is obsessed with occult.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Part of the reason that he's a Brain in a Jar is because Lego, for obvious reasons, does not make Hitler minifigs.
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: Complete with multiple clones of his own brain.
- Take Over the World
SallahThe Jones family's Arabic friend who will always come to their rescue.
- Big Damn Heroes / Deus ex Machina: Want to be rescued? Bet on him! Once inverted though.
- No Sense of Direction: Inverted.
Ginny SmithA US archaeology expert who defect to the Soviets. Can and will backstab everyone.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Complete with scorecard.
- Heroes Want Redheads: She's a redhead, and Monty clearly has a thing for her.
- Overly Long Name: Her Russian name: Valentina Irina Ranevskaya Galina Ivana Natalya Iriyushka Anastasia Sonyechka Marinochka Ineslenka Tatyana Hvorostovskaya.
Agency of Deaths and the main point of Crossover.
- Celestial Bureaucracy
- No Indoor Voice: Every death (except Charon) speaks in ALL CAPS when talks to mortals.
- Odd Job Gods: Most of them watch over a very specific (and often very unlikely) aspect of death.
Death of Insanely Overpowered FireballsProbably the main character of Death theme. Has really bad luck on the job. Has been the Death Of Being Sat On By A Giant Frog, Fate Worse Than Death, Death Of Being Stared At Angrily By A Giant Frog, and Death Of Being Run Through The Spleen With A Toothpick.
- Butt-Monkey: Gets who get job shuffling the most?
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Really popular.
- George Jetson Job Security
- Reassignment Backfire: He could lead the Deaths' Strike without being drawn to do his job because at that point, he had been demoted to Fate Worse Than Death, and as such was no longer a Death. The Head Death ends up breaking the strike by rehiring him as Death of Insanely Overpowered Fireballs.
- Sinister Scythe: He uses one, made by cutting one blade off a lego pickax.
Death of Choking On A Giant FrogFireballs's competitor, since he wanted to be Death of Insanely Overpowered Fireballs, but otherwise friendly to each other. Apparently he originally died when an aide of his shoved a giant frog down his throat.
Head DeathThe boss. He is in charge of the Deaths' positions, and will demote and promote the lesser Deaths based on their performance. Really hates the Paradox Department.
- Bad Boss: Seems to go out of his way to screw over Fireballs.
- Death Glare: Except it's not as effective.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat
- Purple Is Powerful: Wears a purple cloak.
Death of Being Wrestled To Death By SteveThe Death responsible for collecting people who've been wrestled to death by Steve. Wears a cowboy hat and a green cloak.
- Butt-Monkey: He's been killed twice by Steve.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Death by Irony: Gets wrestled to death by Steve, twice.
- Nice Hat: He has a cowboy hat.
- Unexplained Recovery
Death of Inhaling Hatmaking ChemicalsThe Death responsible for collecting people who died by mercury inhalation. He doesn't get much work nowadays, although he gets to collect the Mythbusters (they get sent back, however). He speaks in a cockney accent, and wears a top hat because "the class system's dead".
- Quintessential British Gentleman
- Wild Mass Guessing: Is Lewis Carroll from Scientific Revolution. Maybe.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: He finally gets to collect the Mythbusters, but they get sent back to the land of the living.
CharonThe Ferryman of the Underworld, but there is no indication of how does he fit into the organization.
- Public-Domain Character: From Greek mythology.
An RPG campaign that is a big spoof on Tolkien.
LambertThe group's merchant. Highly protective of his money.
- Hobbits: Obviously.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: He's the originator of the hobbit puns that show up every hundred strips or so.
AlvissaThe group's elf and archer. Also the Only Sane Man of the group.
MordekaiThe group's thief. But never call him that.
- Lovable Rogue: Insisted being called that instead of thief.
KyrosThe group's wizard. A pyromaniac wizard that frequently kills off his teammates.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: To the point that none of his companions mourned him when he got pulled into the abyss by a Balrog.
- God Guise: Likes to do this.
- Kill It with Fire: "It" being "everything".
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: How did he kill a Balrog? More fire!
DraakA lizardman hired by Lambert to help with the group (and protect his money from Mordekai).
- Badass Bookworm: Smartest guy in the group.
- Eloquent in My Native Tongue: He can speak only in monosyllabus in English, but in his native tongue, he speaks very eloquently.
- Genius Bruiser: Great big lizard man who's highly intelligent.
DwalinYour old stereotypical dwarf with Scottish accent. Got persuaded to join the group by Kyrosâi, by predictable method.
Originally a sci-fi campaign with the same players as fantasy, but eventually grew into its own story about a group of interstellar merchants on the Legacy. They get stuck in cyberspace a lot.
SerronA rat-like alien, and the one who does most of the actual 'merchanting' on the ship. He's very greedy and has a penchant for bad ideas.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Very common.
- Greed: One of his defining characteristics.
- Humanoid Alien: He looks like an anthro rat.
ParisThe ship's pilot. Was dead for a while.
- Death is Cheap: Constantly subverted. She could come back via cloning, but her crewmates keep accidentally screwing up her chances. She eventually comes back as a ghost, and then is brought back to life when the universe is destroyed and then recreated.
- Gender-Blender Name: In the campaign the Space theme was based on, Paris's player intended her to be male (and named after Paris of Troy), but everyone else assumed her to be female, and the player went with it.
- Our Ghosts are Different: As a ghost, she was partially transparent, insubstantial, and glowed in the dark. She could interface with the ship's controls to pilot it.
Iki PikiThe ship's scientist and diplomat.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: His species' reproduction involves budding and spores. And the GURPS species he's based on is even weirder. It involves gender-bending every few days.
SpannersThe Legacy's engineer.
- Meaningful Name: He's an engineer named after a kind of wrench.
QuercusA tree alien that Spanners has hired as his assistant.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin, but later the theme is mostly in William Shakespeare's fanfic.
MarcusA Roman senator.
- Consummate Liar: Pinpoints this as the number one skill needed to be a senator.
JuliusAspiring Roman senator. Cousin to one Gaius Julius.
Steve and Terry
SteveA herpetologist who loves getting up close and personal to dangerous reptiles- and then wrestling them. Has wrestled crocodiles, snakes, a shark, and Cthulhu.
- Did You Just Wrestle Cthulhu To Death?: Yes, he did. Several times.
- Expy: Almost certainly one of Steve Irwin, althogh the author has regularly insisted otherwise.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: He finds dangerous things fascinating.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Again, there's a Death specifically for people that he's wrestled to death.
TerrySteve's wife and voice of reason.
- Only Sane Man: to Steve.
Cthulhu"Mighty Cthulhu is one of the Great Old Ones, an Elder God who lies in eternal deathless sleep in the sunken nightmare city of R'lyeh. Even being aware of his very existence is enough to push strong men to the brink of insanity. Not that that would ever stop Steve."-Irregular webcomics character description
- Eldritch Abomination
- Mix-and-Match Critter: How he was put together.
- Revenge: Wants revenge against Steve for killing him several times.
Charity Collector Guy"Hi, I'm campaigning for greater community awareness of trigonometry."A guy who regularly volunteers to collect money for a variety of unusual charitable organizations. Even volunteers as a subsitute Death briefly. Also an expert in origami and astrophysics.
- Almighty Janitor : His aforementioned unusual combination of expertises make him very helpful in one of the latest attempts to reboot history
- Incredibly Lame Pun: A lot of his appearances have this as the joke.
Jane GoodallCryptozoologist turned primate researcher and reluctant ally to Steve. She's in touch with the Yeti.
A spoof on The War of the Worlds, but gets veered into different direction lately.
The MartiansThe last 3 Martians who still plans to conquer Earth, but pretty inept at it.
- Last of His Kind
- What an Idiot: Don't care about the germs and don't give your species immortality treatment before sending them to invade Earth? Why not?
- X Meets Y: As DMM describes, a cross between Marvin the Martian and the Three Stooges...
The Man in BlackThe shadowy government operative who denies everything out of natural.
- Extra-Strength Masquerade: He denies that there are aliens when he talks to the Martians. Or worse, says there's no afterlife when he's in one.
- Implausible Deniability
IshmaelAn ordinary university student who got himself tangled into the Martian mess quite often.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Well, ordinary college student, but still.
GiuseppeOwner of a local pizza place where Ishmael works.
- Near-death by Irony: Claimed to be descendant of Allesandro Volta when rewiring his pizzeria. Guess what happens next.
The AllosaurusA dinosaur that showed up in several themes. Was eventually elected President of the United States, after which he showed up mostly in the Martians theme.
- Animal Athlete Loophole: Applied to politics. Strictly speaking, the U.S. Constitution doesn't specify that the president must be human.
- Breakout Character: "The Allosaurus" is easily the most popular option in Irregular Webcomics polls when available.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Ate his entire Cabinet at one point.
- Our Presidents Are Different: Difficult to characterize, but "President Dinosaur" isn't on the list to begin with.
- The Unintelligible: "RAAARRRHH!!!"
A spoof on James Bond.