open/close all folders
Appearing as an ordinary fortune-telling school, Sephiro Fiore is training institution for Elemental Tarot users made for the sole purpose of exterminating the Daemonia to protect people from their wrath, even though this means killing the people possessed by them. There are several branches of this organization, one of which is located in Nagataki, where our story takes place.
- Dirty Business: They pretty much all consider themselves to be executioners as much as saviors, and they're not pleased with the idea at all.
- Elemental Eye Colors: The fire-wielding Akari has red eyes, the ice-wielding Seira blue, and the plant-wielding Luna (gold-ish) green.
- Magical Girl: The main characters must transform to use their power.
- Magical Girl Warrior: And they are expected to fight the Diablos Tarots.
- Repetitive Name: Of the "classic original" variant.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: They're the only ones who can remember dead Daemonia-possessed humans.
- Tarot Motifs: The magical girls' powers are drawn from tarot major arcana.
- These Hands Have Killed: They all have to live with the burden of taking human lives in order to kill Daemonia, and being the only ones to remember the existence of said humans.
- Tsurime Eyes: All Elemental Tarot users have these in their Tenebrae forms.
Voiced by: Mai KadowakiThe main character who wants to be a fortune teller like her late mother. Her tarot is "The Sun".
- Badass Adorable: Even before her awakening, she rushes into a burning building with the intent to save everyone inside.
- Break the Cutie: Sephiro Fiore goes out of their way to defy this by altering Akari's memories of killing Fuyuna so she won't turn into a Daemonia in her grief. The bad news is, Akari not only regains her memories, but also learns that this is what she's expected to do from now on. And on her first day of school, no less. The good news is, it's not bad enough for her to turn into a Daemonia.
- Cheerful Child: She tries to be optimistic, at least.
- Cool Sword: A flaming rapier, to be precise.
- Flaming Sword: Because she draws her powers from the sun.
- Cute Bookworm: She knows a lot about the Tarot.
- A Darker Me: Her magical girl self is considerably more eager to fight than her mundane self.
- Disappeared Dad: In episode 5 we learn that she once tried to ask her mother about her dad, but the response she got was her mother looking really sad. Episode 11 reveals that her father was a Daemonia researcher, and that Akari was conceived while he was infected.
- Fake Memories/Laser-Guided Amnesia: Sephiro Fiore has her memories of Fuyuna erased because she was in danger of being possessed by a Daemonia in her grief. She soon recovers them, but is no longer in danger of possession. But that doesn't mean she takes it well.
- Flaming Hair: In her Magical Girl form.
- Fortune Teller: And an extremely accurate one too.
- Giant Waist Ribbon: She has a decent-sized one on her regular outfit.
- Green Thumb: Her presence causes plant life to grow uncontrollably.
- Half-Human Hybrid: When she was conceived, her father was infected by a Daemonia, resulting in her being half-human, half-Daemonia, and that's why she can hear the voices of Daemonia.
- Hearing Voices: Can actually hear Daemonia, which is apparently something that has never happened before. The other characters are skeptical, until it's shown that the other girls can hear Daemonia too while they're touching Akari.
- Telepathy: The Tendo sisters explain that Akari is actually sharing her thoughts when someone's touching her.
- It's explained later that she can hear their voices because she's half-Daemonia herself.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: A rapier is her weapon of choice in her Tenebrae form.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Goes through one when she learns the truth about what happened to Fuyuna.
- Innocently Insensitive: Akari doesn't mind the attention she gets at home and around town, but she genuinely doesn't realize how bitter it makes Fuyuna. She also doesn't seem to notice Luna's jealousy when she's around Seira.
- Ironic Echo: Seira considered her to have a lack of resolve because of her ability to hear The Daemonia's voices. After Seira hesitates after finding out about her friend. Akari calls her out on it.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Normally a bright and cheery girl, she becomes dead serious (and deadly) after she transforms.
- Meaningful Name: Akari means "light", and taiyou means "sun". Keep in mind Japanese name order.
- Mercy Kill: How she treats the extermination of Daemonia after overcoming her Heroic B.S.O.D..
- My God, What Have I Done?/Tears of Remorse: When she realizes Fuyuna has died by her own hand and that not even her own aunt and uncle (Fuyuna's parents) remember her, Akari breaks down and apologizes over and over to her aunt.
- Older Alter Ego: Moreso than her teammates, she seems noticably more mature while transformed (losing her normal short hair, huge eyes and high-pitched voice).
- Possession Implies Mastery: She seems to immediately understand how to fight and use her powers after transforming. It's suggested this is true of all Elemental Tarot wielders, which would explain why Sephiro Fiore doesn't actually train the tarot users in combat.
- Power Incontinence: The reason plants grow so quickly in her room; plants need the sun to grow, after all.
- Power Makes Your Voice Deep: Her Tenebrae form has a deeper voice.
- The Power of the Sun: Which usually comes out as...
- Red Oni: To Seira.
- The Runaway: She runs away from Sephiro Fiore the moment she learns the truth of what they do. It doesn't last long as they drag her right back.
- Screaming Warrior: She screams a lot when fighting.
- Secret Legacy: Her mother was the previous wielder of the Sun card.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A, though thanks to the color of her striped socks, it's hard to differentiate it from her thighs.
Voiced by: Eri KitamuraHer tarot is "The Star".
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's got the looks and the personality.
- Archer Archetype: Uses a crystal bow in her Tenebrae form.
- Blue Oni: To Akari.
- Braids of Action: Her Tenebrae form sports a braid in addition to her Mega Twintails.
- Broken Bird: She just doesn't show it.
- Brought Down to Normal: After Daemonia-infected Luna bites her. She get better.
- Cynicism Catalyst: The death of her friend Manami.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her best friend Manami was killed suddenly and messily by a Daemonia, causing Seira's ongoing Roaring Rampage of Revenge against all Daemonia and her disdain for people who become them.
- Depower: The Daemonified Luna bites her in the neck in Episode 10, which somehow steals her Elemental powers.
- Freak Out: A minor one in episode 6, when she sees the Daemonia is someone she knew personally. This eventually causes her to open up to Akari and become friends.
- Girlish Pigtails: In her normal form.
- An Ice Person: Fires icy arrows from a magic bow. Her star-shaped Hair Decorations also turn into ice crystals when in her Magical Girl form.
- Ice Queen: Befitting her powers, Seira refuses to get chummy with any of her teammates, especially Akari, thinking it would be a hindrance.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Who better than Akari, wielder of "The Sun" card, to help her open up.
- It Never Gets Any Easier: Says it word-for-word regarding her job.
- It's Personal: In episode 6 the Daemonia she fights against is a person she knew personally.
- Meaningful Name: Sei and hoshi both mean "star".
- More Dakka: She can create what can only be described as a magical machine gun.
- Not So Above It All: Episode 7 shows she's afraid of ghosts. When called out on it, she says ghosts and Daemonia are different things.
- Out, Damned Spot!: She scrubs herself harder than the other girls in the shower after killing a man possessed by a Daemonia.
- Rapunzel Hair: Even in ordinary form she sports with this.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Her beef with Akari.
- Star Power: Her card.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Though she's rather distant from the other girls from her team, she does prove herself to be rather nice and sociable with other people.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Chicken salad. She claims it builds muscles, although she also says foods really the same once it's eaten. That doesn't stop her from gravitating towards a bowl of the stuff during a party and piling it on her plate.
- Tsurime Eyes: Has these in her ordinary form already, which makes her Magical Girl form's version look downright scary.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: As part of her regular outfit.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: And she actually has blue hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A between her shorts and black thighhighs.
Voiced by: Sora TokuiHer tarot is "The Moon".
- Barrier Warrior: Her power set consists largely of barriers and binds.
- Bookworm: Her room is filled with books.
- Badass Bookworm: She's a competent fighter.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Hers are larger than the other characters, but otherwise no one ever comments on them.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: As a Daemonia. She gets better.
- Break the Cutie: Ginka's "death" sends Luna into a Heroic B.S.O.D. thinking she could be the next to go. She takes indefinite leave to her family retreat to recuperate, and things seem to be looking up when she's visited by Akari and finally gets some time alone with her. Then "Akari" (who's really Cerebrum in disguise) breaks her even further by saying she'd rather spend time with Seira, stabs her, and sticks a Diablos card in her wound that turns her into a Daemonia.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Cerebrum's goal by trying to turn her into a Daemonia.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Cerebrum accuses her of being this to Akari regarding Seira in his Breaking Lecture.
- Dark and Troubled Past: We don't know the details, but...well, her family called her "damaged goods".
- Declaration of Protection: She declares she will protect Akari as she reminds her of her missing older sister, Serena.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: Her Daemonia form is a snarling, red-eyed werebeast of some sort.
- Girly Run: The only one of the four protagonists who runs like this, since she's generally The Chick.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She gets jealous of Seira when she befriends Akari.
- Green Thumb: She can conjure magic vines.
- Healing Hands: She has healing powers.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Implied.
- Love at First Sight: Not necessarily love, but she pretty much decides that she likes Akari after she sees her fight for a few seconds.
- Lunacy: Her card.
- Meaningful Name: Luna and tsuki note mean "moon".
- Nice Hat: It even has a cute crescent moon pin.
- Ojou: The daughter of a zaibatsu.
- Power Incontinence: She says it causes her to attract dogs.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: Her Daemonia form is... essentially an inversion of Bare Your Midriff.
- Sprouting Ears: In her Tenebrae form.
- Tentacle Rope: Her magic vines can be used to ensnare opponents.
- Wolverine Claws: After becoming a Daemonia. Heck, even after she returns to normal.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has green hair.
- You Remind Me of X: Akari reminds her of her missing older twin sister, Serena.
Voiced by: Yuiko TatsumiHer tarot is "Temperance".
- An Axe to Grind: Her power-up gained from the resolve to kill her corrupted uncle.
- Angst? What Angst?: Zigzagged. Initially, she sees her job as exactly that; she's doing it well and thus all is fine in the world, even if it means she has to kill the formerly-people monsters. However, she later gets a rude awakening when her Honorary Uncle is corrupted into one of them monsters. The series doesn't show whether that incident causes any damage to her psyche, but eventually she is driven to throw away her life to destroy her Evil Counterpart, and she does so with that very same calmness.
- Ancient Order of Protectors: The other magical girls are selected, but her family has been in this tarot business for a long time (her grand-auntie was an Elemental user). This is probably the reason why she takes her job lightheartedly, for all that it entails.
- Back from the Dead: Suddenly reappears in episode 12, after her Heroic Sacrifice a few episodes earlier.
- Unexplained Recovery: At first, but it then gets explained in the next episode.
- Barrier Warrior: Eventually played in a heartbreaking way. To prevent her friends from interrupting her Mutual Kill with her Evil Counterpart, she creates a barrier that they can't pierce.
- Crimefighting with Cash: Literally; she makes her barriers out of gold coins in battle.
- Daddy's Girl: She and her father adore each other.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Her power, if not based on actual gold, feature golden motifs.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Blue wings on one side, red on the other.
- Genki Girl: She's the most cheerful of the four main girls.
- Go Out with a Smile: But she gets better
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has long blonde hair and is one of the good guys.
- Head Wings: As part of Tenebrae form.
- The Heart: In keeping with her "Temperance" card, she strives to maintain balance in her team; when the others are feeling down, she acts bright and cheery.
- Heroic Sacrifice: She fights her Diablos counterpart in a suicide battle that results in both disappearing. It also permanently destroys all Temperance Daemonia. She gets better, explaining that fighting her counterpart is not about annihilation but rather unification.
- Mutual Kill: What Ginka thinks will happen, but later realizes that's not necessarily the case.
- Holy Halo: Part of her Magical Girl outfit. Turns out it's more symbolic than it originally seems.
- The Idiot from Osaka: As a bubbly airhead who loves food and money, she fits most of the stereotypes to a tee. Subverted in episode 5, where she shows her ability to think logically in extremely dire situations and puts much more thought into the central ethical question of the initial part of the show than either Akari or Seira.
- It's Personal: In episode 5 when her Honorary Uncle becomes a Daemonia.
- Kansai Regional Accent: She and the father have one.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: She can summon a large shield to protect herself and her friends.
- Meaningful Name: Gin and kane both mean "money".
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Rare, but it does pop up occasionally
- Not Afraid to Die: She even jokes about almost dying in episode 8. This is made clear by her Diablos counterpart, who wants to live forever.
- The Pollyanna: As befitting someone who has the Temperance card, she doesn't angst over her duties. She later admits to Akari that she's basically dissociating that part of her life from herself.
- Power Gives You Wings: Huge, very angular wings.
- Rags to Riches: As explained in her backstory in episode 5.
- Ramming Always Works/Shield Bash: She can launch her barriers to smash her enemies.
- Sealed Evil in a Duel: This is what apparently happened after her Mutual Kill with her counterpart card. They kept fighting each other until Ginka heard Akari's voice, allowing her to defeat her counterpart and return to life.
- Spoiled Sweet: An interesting case where she did not start as a rich girl, but retain her sweetness after the fortunes finally favor her family.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Takoyaki. Emphasis on trademark: it's strongly related to her family's business.
Voiced by: Aya EndoThe head of the Nagataki Branch of Sephiro Fiore. Her tarot is "The World".
- Big Good: She's the boss and cares greatly for other Elemental Tarot users.
- Dirty Business: She considers having to alter Akari's memories of killing Fuyuna to be this, even though it means preventing her from becoming a Daemonia and losing the wielder of the Sun card.
- Magic Mirror Portal Door: Her power.
- Mega Twintails: Combined, they're larger than she is.
- Ms. Exposition: Explains the nature of Daemonia and the people who must fight them.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She has compassion for her underlings. She even tell them to run away from their Evil Counterpart.
- Restraining Bolt: Her powers are sealed by the Leguzario.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has light blue hair.
Ariel Valtiel Westcott
Voiced by: Kikuko InoueThe deputy head of the Nagataki Branch of Sephiro Fiore. Her tarot is "Judgment".
- Ambiguously Brown: She has dark skin, and her ethnicity is never specified.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She's got the look.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Her power creates a giant guardian spirit that fires a humongous blast of energy. When used in conjunction with Etia's Magic Mirror, it basically becomes a Kill Sat.
- Perpetual Frowner: She's rarely, if ever, seen smiling.
- Restraining Bolt: Her powers are sealed by the Leguzario.
- The Stoic: She keeps a level head at all times.
Voiced by: Ruriko AokiHer tarot is "The Fool".
- Ambiguously Brown: Some of her earlier designs suggest Romani ancestry.
- Convenient Coma: Fall into one in later episodes, but get better by the finale.
- Genki Girl: She's quite cheerful.
- Knife Nut: Her weapons of choice.
- Blade on a Stick: She can combine them to form a javelin.
- Mega Twintails: In her Tenebrae form, appropriately resembling a jester's hat.
- Monster Clown: Her transformed aesthetics.
- Ninja: Uses kunai, anyway.
Voiced by: Nao TouyamaHer tarot is "The Magician".
- Alliterative Name: Metina Melvis.
- Convenient Coma: Fall into one in later episodes, but get better by the finale.
- Cute Witch: In her Tenebrae form.
- Having a Blast: Uses pumpkin-shaped bombs.
- Mega Twintails: Especially in her Tenebrae form.
- Nice Hat: It becomes massive in her Tenebrae form.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She's generally a nice woman.
Itsuki, Mutsumi, and Nanase Tendo
Voiced by: Atsumi TanezakiThe researchers of Sephiro Fiore. Their tarot is "The Wheel of Fortune".
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: When not talking in unison.
- Mad Scientist: Seria calls them this, in English no less!
- Numerical Theme Naming: Five, six, seven.
- Our Homunculi Are Different: They're implied to be homunculi, but little else is revealed about them.
- Onmyodo: Their appearance is based on (male) Onmyodo practitioners, which fits their Wheel of Fate Arcana: Onmyodo, based on Chinese alchemy, is big about transforming one state to another.
- Palette Swap: The only differences between them are colour.
- Rapid-Fire Typing: What they do when sending the girls into the Astralux.
- Same-Sex Triplets
- Single-Minded Triplets: They generally speak in unison.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest Elemental Tarot users of the cast.
Amelie LamourA character from the light novel prequel, and she is wielder of the Lovers card and is Hinata's partner.
- Archer Archetype: She uses a crossbow in her Tenebrae form.
- Meaningful Name: L'amour means "love" in French.
- Posthumous Character: Maybe. The first mention of a Lovers Elemental Tarot user in-story is her disappearance thanks to the Pair Annihilation Phenomenon, and the next mention of her confirms her death, but the name of said victim isn't mentioned. Since there's no current translation of the light novel, Amelie's specific fate is unknown.
Hajime TakatoriAnother character from the light novel prequel. He is a Daemonia researcher for Sephiro Fiore. He is also Akari's father, and he was already possessed by a Daemonia when she was conceived.
- Posthumous Character: In the anime. All Etia and Ariel say is that he was taken away by the Leguzario when they found out he was possessed by a Daemonia, and his death is implied.
Voiced by: Ayane SakuraAkari's cousin and honors student who is jealous of all the attention Akari gets. In the first episode, she's turned into a Daemonia, killed by Akari, and erased from history.
- Back for the Finale For The Dead: Kind of. In the next-to-last episode Akari is trapped in a "Groundhog Day" Loop where she has to relive the day she killed Fuyuna again and again. Cerebrum says each loop was an alternate possibility that could have happened. In the last episode, the Fuyuna of the loop's final iteration actually discusses her feelings with Akari, and the two part with Akari getting closure.
- Brainy Brunette: Has brown hair and is at the top of her class.
- Death by Origin Story: More than that, the hero is the one to kill her.
- Go Out with a Smile: At the end of Akari's "Groundhog Day" Loop.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: What her transformation into a Daemonia turns her into.
- Green-Eyed Monster: She is not actually that awful a person, but the Diablos tarot is there to exacerbate the darkness in her heart.
- Meganekko: Sports a cute pair of glasses.
- Ret Gone: As with any person possessed by Daemonia, all evidence of her existence is erased after Akari kills her.
Voiced by: Aya HisakawaAkari's late mother and a fortune teller. She is also the protagonist of the light novel prequel.
- Hurting Hero: Her Daemonia extermination jobs gave her mental and physical wounds. It's implied that she became ill, and eventually died, due to the strain of the job.
- Ill Woman: Akari remembers her as being chronically ill.
- Meaningful Name: The name Hinata can mean "sunny place" or "facing the sun".
- Missing Mom: Again, for Akari.
- Posthumous Character: Died before the series began.
- Screening the Call: Before her death, she tried to keep Akari away from tarot.
Laplace and Schrödinger
Voiced by: Chado Horii (Laplace) and Shiori Izawa (Schrödinger)A talking crow and a talking cat that monitor Sephiro Fiore. Something of note: the crow is male and the cat is female. The two of them actually report to the Leguzario, the organization in charge of Sephiro Fiore.
- Cats Are Magic: Schrödinger.
- Creepy Crows: Laplace.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Laplace has a scar over his left eye.
- Heel–Face Turn: Schrödinger decides to not listen to the Leguzario anymore and remain with Sephiro Fiore.
- Meaningful Name: Named after Laplace's demon and Schrödinger's Cat. Unsurprisingly, Laplace believe You Can't Fight Fate, while Schrödinger believes you can Screw Destiny.
- Talking Animal: They may not be real animals, but they certainly look the part.
Mama Nagataki, Lymro, and Hanayume
Voiced by: Mao Uchino (Mama Nagataki), Minami Takahashi (Lymro), and Hironori Kondo (Hanayume)Fortunetellers that Akari works part-time for, before she joins Sephiro Fiore. They had previously worked with her mother.
Voiced by: Takashi Kondo (male), Aya Suzuki (female), Ikumi Hayama (older female)A mysterious, silver-haired youth with shapeshifting powers. He gives Diablos cards to miserable citizens, turning them into Daemonia.
- Bare Your Midriff: In his default form.
- Bishōnen: His "main" form, it would seem.
- The Corrupter: Tells his victims that they should give in to their negative emotions, and gives them Diablos cards to "help."
- Creepy Child: Both of his younger forms: a girl and a boy.
- Deal with the Devil: How he gets people to accept his cards.
- The Dragon: He's currently working for a currently unnamed politician, using his power and Daemonia to get rid of people the politician wants gone. It's also suggested he works for the Leguzario.
- Evil Virtues/I Gave My Word: Honesty/Honor. Fully and immediately delivers on his promise to remove Luna's corruption and restore Seira's powers after the agreement is reached. Considering the two were locked in mortal combat at the time, he put honoring the deal before disposing of his enemies.
- Femme Fatale: In his adult woman form.
- Humanoid Abomination: He's a Daemonia with free will.
- In the Hood: He wears a black cloak and hood in his male form.
- Manipulative Bastard: Manipulated a lot of characters in the show through their emotion.
- One-Winged Angel: Final episode.
- Power Of The Sun: It turns out his Diablos Tarot is of the Sun.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can take the appearance of other humans.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Has pale hair, and is the main villain of the series.
- Villainous Breakdown: He freaks out when Akari breaks the "Groundhog Day" Loop.
- Your Soul Is Mine: It's his payment for services rendered.
Episode 3 ManA possessed man who targets children. He is the first Daemonia that Akari can hear, leading her to discover her purpose for fighting.
- Deal with the Devil: In an attempt to get his dead son back.
- Death by Origin Story: His son.
- Dying as Yourself: Requests that Akari kill him.
- Mercy Kill: His death.
KiyoneAn artist who is driven to making a Deal with the Devil due to her jealousy.
- Asshole Victim: Her first victim, Yume, and eventually herself.
- Deal with the Devil: She's the most lucid and has the most selfish motives of any Daemonia we've seen so far.
HondaA friend of Ginka's father and her Honorary Uncle.
- Driven to Suicide: What leads the Daemonia to him.
HanaeAn extroverted girl who Seira befriends.
- Deal with the Devil: To try and save her friend Minori's life.